Magic Guild - Shared Quarters - Gilanor, Ssinith ~18th

Moderators: Tristam, Mods

Torigm Khace

Magic Guild - Shared Quarters - Gilanor, Ssinith ~18th

Post by Torigm Khace »

The sparse quarters had been rigged for two even though twice as many could conceivably be crammed into the space. Beds and desks on opposite sides of the room made who slept who of very little consequence.

The dark cool walls were illuminated by a crystalline tube running halfway down the wall farthest from the entrance. Water dripped slowly from the tube and soaked into a porous section of the floor.

Thin paths of moss grew in selected places on the wall. The moss absorbed the light of the crystalline tube and produced a differently hued glow in the darkness providing for a mediocre light source more than suitable for the eyes of the young dark adhiel students.

Post by Guest »

Gilanor had returned to the White Rotunda after classes only to find that his room mate wasn't present. Looking around at the extra items that had been placed in the room it still managed to avoid seeming too crowded. At least Gilanor knew a bit about his roommate having meet him in the first class of the day and spent a number of hours restoring order in the library. Though they seemed to hold different views on things, he'd certainly seemed to be someone who he should be able to hold an interesting conversation with in the days ahead.

For now though since he had the room to himself Gilanor decided to take advantage of the quite. Once again he worked through the first sections of the Tome the ones it seemed that today's first class had indeed focused on.

One rereading lead into another as Gilanor tried not only to take in and absorb not just what the text said on the surface. He also tried to read between the lines and find out what the text implied, but didn't state out right. He had already seen that the study of Magic was a matter of perception. What perceptions might he be overlying his mind with if he absorbed this knowledge as given in the Tome without question, without trying to see beyond.

Archmages had existed, yet at the present they did not at least in Gulanadur. What had today's mages in Gulanadur done to limit themselves so they were unable to achieve such a level of understanding? The professor had indicated that the last Archmagi had loved research, was that because his interest in magicks had been unrestricted by enforced perceptions.

Marks passed with Gilanor reading and rereading the first sections of the Tome. Each time he was tempted to press onwards, he'd only have to ask himself if the breadth of his understanding was enough yet before he would reread the text again trying to seek out yet more meaning within the words.

One could only read the same things for so long though before the repetition of the words began to numb the mind. Gilanor already knew what he wished to do next however and finally feeling real boredom instead of his normal facade starting to dull his focus he sat back in the seat.

Closing the cover of the Tome carefully he sat there for a few moments just letting the slow movement of breath in and out of his lungs fill his concentration. Then bringing the image of the reflected light into his mind he felt himself settle deeper into the meditative state.

The image came from the time his father had drawn a dagger in anger one day, frustrated by his inability to pierce the mask of boredom Gilanor had worn so frequently. Gilanor had been sure that he was going to die in that moment, and it seemed as if the whole world had just stopped. Instead of crying out in fear he had just froze his attention caught by the glint of light from the blade. A candle burning nearby had reflected off the blade and as death seemed to race towards him all Gilanor could see was that glimmer of light in his mind.

His father had stopped the blade just before the point where no one's reflexes could have averted his death. The tip of dagger less than a hand breadth from his eye Gilanor's focus had still been caught by the blade. His lack of reaction though instead of re-enforcing his father's rage had stilled it completely like a candle flame dropped in a pond.

He had stalked off his back already turned to him before Gilanor blinked again, suddenly aware that he had found in that moment a focus for his mediation exercises. He had been trying for months to understand what his teacher had been trying to explain to him, and yet only in that moment of near death at his own father's hand had he found it.

Now he surrendered to that moment again and through it he let the energies of the room impress upon his mind. The energy of light from the fungi, the sturdy energies of the stone, the delicate energies of the cloth, and the heat from his body, along with the other energies of shadow, wood, and metal.

Still and relaxed he let the energies from hand come more into focus, not by concentrating on them buy as before surrendering his mind to their impressions. There beyond the veil of heat he could see the other energies that lay inside his body. The sparking energy and the more subtle energies of flesh and bone. Trying to manipulate any of those energies within his own flesh seemed to be asking for trouble, so instead he allowed his focus to shift onwards.

His senses turned onto a small shadow cast by the light from moss. He let its energies swim over his senses trying to feel beyond the veil of his perceptions. What was shadow but an absence of light, bound by the shape of the object behind which it lurked. The energy was caused by perceptions already altered twice if he could only surrender his perception enough to see the energy beyond the veil of the mind.
Last edited by Guest on Sat Nov 06, 2004 12:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ssinith DIllil
Tazlure Supporter

Back from class!

Post by Ssinith DIllil »

Oh Ssinith made it to class, but his nose was in the textbook again on his way back, taking his sweet time from returning from the cafeteria with his spectacles on. The textbook was in one hand and a fruit was in the other, nourishing his body while nourishing his mind. His long robes fluttered behind him as he entered the room quietly, seeing that Gilanor was practicing.

He thrived on organized chaos, knowing where everything was at all times. Had not Gilanor woke him from his desk this morning, the tiredness of the move yesterday would have made him late. He was still a bit on the tired side from his worship at Molten's temple, as well as a small party from his family in congradulations, but he was once again intrigued by the possibilities.

He quietly wrote his notes on hypothesis on energy and its relations to the gods. Since after the library, Gilanor would have noticed a slight change in Ssinith after they first met. He seemed confident in himself where there was wavering in what he wanted to do before.

His notes also became quite deep;

E = energy in its most basic form
Sa = Sentient Aspect (psyche, what makes living beings move)
Da = Divine Aspect (What makes gods different from man)
Ma = Material Aspect (Matter and mass)
rt = relation to

Is "Da" eternal or immortal?
"E" = "Ma"
Does "E" = "Sa" or is "Sa" another force?
"Da" = "Sa" + eternity or immortailty
"Sa" manipulates "E"
"E" is eternal.
"Ma" is not eternal
Does "Da" = "E", "Sa", and "Ma"?

"Sa" rt "Da" = Divine Manipulation of Energy
"Sa" rt "Ma" = Sorcery Manipulation of Energy
"Sa" rt "Sa" = Mindcraft Manipulation of Energy

Ssinith kept going and going, placing a couple of fruit on Gilanor's desk in order for him to enjoy once he stopped practicing. When it appeared that Gilanor was in a moment where he could stop meditating safely, Ssinith looked over to him.

"Want to practice what we learned in the main hall? I thought of a game we could possibly make of it in order to sharpen our skills as well as pass the time."
"If all things are energy and a wizard is a master of manipulating it, then as a politician am I studying the greatest sorcery of all."

~S'sinith

NOMINATION
Most Heroic Male PC (2008)
Most Religious PC (2008/2006)

Post by Guest »

Gilanor stretched for a moment before picking up the fruit that Ssinith had left on his desk. "Thanks." Sliding the book he had been reading further on the desk, he picked up the knife he had purchased late yesterday, along with a few other things, in the short time he had dared to slip out of the magic guild. With a couple of quick cut he quartered the piece of fruit and wiping the blade he slipped it back away.

"Sounds interesting. What sort of game have you thought up? I'd been considering searching through the library to try and find some texts on the nature of energy perceptions, but that can wait."
Ssinith DIllil
Tazlure Supporter

Pong!

Post by Ssinith DIllil »

"Well, I'm not certain if it will work, but it is worth an experiment, none the less."

He meditates quietly, sitting at the chair and trying to relax... setting the sight of the energy flow around them in the luminous room.

"Meditate and see what I see... keep focus on the ball."

He attempts to picture the light in the room and fashion it into a small sphere in the middle of the room.

"Care for a game of mental pattle ball? The object is to push while trying to focus on maintaining its state. Out of bounds is considered out of our line of sight."
"If all things are energy and a wizard is a master of manipulating it, then as a politician am I studying the greatest sorcery of all."

~S'sinith

NOMINATION

Post by Guest »

"Is that something that even possible? Why don't we just try to take turns in keep the weaving of energy intact first?" Gilanor said, finishing off a piece of the fruit before settling himself back into the centred meditative state he had been using while working on his energy perceptions.

"Or have you read about this exercise somewhere?"
Torigm Khace

Post by Torigm Khace »

OOC: you guys are doing a great job here. :D PM me if you need me to interject anything into this thread.

JOE--
Ssinith DIllil
Tazlure Supporter

Point taken...

Post by Ssinith DIllil »

"... Well, perhaps paddles are a little over our level..." Ssinith admitted, concentrating on the ball.

He slowly opened his eyes, getting the little bead of light to form, trying to concentrate. Taking off his glasses, the light being hard to focus on when magnified, he tried to find a calming point as well as a will.

"Perhaps start by pushing and pulling it..."

~S'sinith

NOMINATION

Post by Guest »

OOC: Thanks Torigm. Feel free to let us know when we blow ourselves up :wink:

It had taken Gilanor a bit to centre himself and open his mind to be able to feel the energies in the room again. Watching the concentration of energies that Ssinith had gathered into a ball not far from him.

"Well first lets see if we can switch back and forth maintaining it." Gilanor said, trying to add a little bit of extra light energy that the fungi was admitting to the ball.

"I'm trying it now, try letting go of the energies."
Last edited by Guest on Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ssinith DIllil
Tazlure Supporter

Slooooowly!

Post by Ssinith DIllil »

Slowly letting go bit by bit, this was a more interesting game anyway to see how long they could pass the energy between them. He wasn't easily entertained, but was entertained by learning.

"Doing so... "

He concentrated, trying to keep his eyes open at least long enough between blinks to see the 'real world' result of what was happening.

~S'sinith

NOMINATION
Torigm Khace

Post by Torigm Khace »

The ball of energy expanded and contracted as the two students wove their will about the sphere. Gilanor would wrap him mind around it and pull in light and energy to keep it steady and as he let go the energy would shrink away free again to roam its natural course. Ssinith however saw the shift and grabbed the concentration to maintain it. The ball slowly going back and forth between the two wavering slightly in the air. It appeared as though the one whose current will was invested most, the energy pulled towards them.

It was a subconscious act, but the rhythm of the movement and the exchange of energies calmed their minds and kept them focused. Several minutes into the exercise the fluctuations because more dramatic between the two as drain of working with the energies began to take their toll. Both Gilanor and Ssinith were becoming physically tired by this exercise. Like a man first learning to run a mile, they all must learn that on the path to mastery many rest breaks are involved.
Ssinith DIllil
Tazlure Supporter

Whew!

Post by Ssinith DIllil »

Ssinith was starting to tire, much like getting drained after meeting Molten. He was breathing hard, trying to keep the focus up and slowly tried to wind down the energies he was pulling.

"I think we should wind this down slowly, much like letting a fire die down... I doubt it would be a good idea to just snap off... but I, for one, am getting weary... but this is definately something we should do regularly and see how long we can keep it... I think it would be good for our health as well."

The thought of more food and drink was definately on his mind after doing this... then getting back to work.

"What say you to heading to the Spire Inn after this? I hear the ambrosia there is to kill for. Then, we can make another dent in the library and study for our next class."

~S'sinith

NOMINATION

Post by Guest »

"Indeed there is more to this than there seems in theory." Gilanor replied, as he let Ssinith take control of the ball again.

"Need to let the energy that we've concentrated leak away harmless, perhaps even into something else. Into the stones perhaps they might impress a shift of perception on the energies we've gathered."
Ssinith DIllil
Tazlure Supporter

Brain freeze...

Post by Ssinith DIllil »

Slowly letting the energies go into something else as Gilanor suggested, he put them back where they came from... the moss. After a couple more turns of taking the ball back and forth, allowing the ball die down, he shut his eyes and rested his head, rubbing his temples.

"Hmph... definately need more practice... but now, we have time to celebrate for a bit. Spire Bridge Inn?" Ssinith suggested.

~S'sinith

NOMINATION

Post by Guest »

"Sounds like a good idea." Gilanor stated, hoping that no one he had once know would spot him there or at least not recognise him.

His appearance was a lot different to what it once had been and his clothing certainly didn't match the styles he had once worn. With his finery packed away he wore clothes more befitting to a commoner than a noble. The white sash around his waist marked him as a student of the guild, and hopefully the combination of change would serve as an ample enough disguise.

Sliding the Tome he had been reading away in the drawer for the desk, he stood and checked he had everything he needed. A casually gesture brushing against the hilt of the dagger at his waist as he hoped he wouldn't need it before he became skilled enough in magics to defend himself.
Ssinith DIllil
Tazlure Supporter

Changing

Post by Ssinith DIllil »

Ssinith removed his robes and changed into a more noble set of clothes, wanting to be at his finest, now that he was off on his own. On his chest, however, was a brand of Molten's insignia. He placed on a more ritzy attire, but one more scholarly than noble. He spent some time putting his hair in braids, more of a nervous habit than anything... but it always excercised his hands for better coodination with his fingers in order to handle Alchemic substances more easily.

Wearing a purple tunic and a pair of black pants with boots, he wrapped his red cloak around him, placing a bronze clasp of Merchant House Maerret to fasten it in place. Looking curiously at Gilanor's choice of clothes, he looked curiously at him.

"Why not put on your finest? ... Or have you come across some foes before arriving here?"

~S'sinith

NOMINATION

Post by Guest »

"My funds for replacing such are limited so I'd rather save them for special occasions than expose them to daily wear as such." Gilanor replied, not wanting to start explaining the situation in regards to his family and their parting.

"Shall we get going?" Gilanor asked moving to the door of their quarters quickly exited the room. Holding the door open he waited out in the corridor for Ssinith to follow.
Torigm Khace

Post by Torigm Khace »

OOC: is this a complete thread? set in early Morningtide, since you left here for the Spire?

JOE--
Ssinith DIllil
Tazlure Supporter

Yeap!

Post by Ssinith DIllil »

((ANd the next thread at the guild is "Study Break"))

~S'sinith

NOMINATION
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Thread skilled.

Skills gained

Manipulation of Energy Sorcery *

Meditation *
[size=100]
Donald heard a mermaid sing, Susy spied an elf,
But all the magic I have known, I've had to make myself.

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Return to “Gulanadur Archive”