Ist Cranky Krank? or Only the Meek Avoid the Ziek

Moderator: Mods

Twilight
Retired staff

Post by Twilight »

Anochrim visibly winced at Adrian’s mention of Pan, almost as if it had caused him physical pain, but the ill man still managed to chuckle at the Rose’s joke.

“Is all that really necessary?” Anochrim asked, sounding quite plaintive.

“It is a cautionary measure, Anochrim,” Helvania replied. “And you know it is always wise to have the support of the gods.” Anochrim looked as though he would have like to have argued with her, as he always did, but instead his attention was drawn by the quiet entrance of Ulder.

“Ah Captain, welcome to the party,” the Caesar greeted his Guardsman with a sardonic chuckle, followed by an impressive yawn.

“Captain,” Aesa said simply, managing to encompass a congratulations and an expression of appreciation of his presence in the single word, as she moved toward him. “It would be best, I think, to keep word of the Caesar’s condition from getting out and becoming… exaggerated. I think it would also be wise to limit his visitors to essentials, until he has had a chance to rest, would it not?” Aesa looked to Anochrim to gauge his reaction, but he was lying with his eyes closed, looking nearly asleep. She then looked from Helvania to Rioja, who nodded their agreement.

“And, Captain,” Aesa then ventured, “I think that you should know that we are not certain what is causing the Caesar’s distress.”

Lady Rioja took this as her cue and elaborated and added, “It is true. We have found no injury nor any sign of illness…, but there must be something…” This last was a musing almost to herself, as the little woman switched her gaze back toward the stricken Caesar.
A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

(avatar by Talon Yoseijo)
Adrian Elsonrae

Two and Two?

Post by Adrian Elsonrae »

Adrian noticed the Caesar's wince as he slowly nodded off. Something was nagging at him from weeks past... something happened between he and Ahren as Adrian recalled the first time he spoke face to face with Isa and Ahren the night after he was toasting his "flame" and remembered the fact that he had shiners after the night with the Caesar.

Mentioning this would more than likely not be the smartest thing right now... but perhaps this gave the greatest clue of all.

"May I inquire as to the faith of His Excellency as to where I may begin first?"

Helvania could probably tell that the gears in Adrian's head were turning... he had heard of "lovesickness" before, but this was something beyond the norm. Rioja would have noticed if it was something psychological.
Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

Ulder smiled warmly at the Caesar's invitation. He said nothing, seeing the Ruler yawn in obvious need of rest, but did acknowledge the Monarch's greeting. Perhaps there would be an opportunity to discuss things with him later, but right now he turned his attention to the people in the room.

With a concerned expression, Ulder listened intently to each of the ladies and their expressed concerns and suggestions. At Lady Aesa's words, he nodded along to show his agreement.

"Yes. I do think it's best to limit his visitors to essentials only. I trust you will be able to supply a list to myself or the guards at the door? They are used to passing down writs from one shift to the next, so those chosen for the honor of guarding him this closely are the best of the best and will be able to follow the orders easily, as well as apply some common sense to the situation at hand."

He turned his head to follow along with the thoughts of Lady Rioja.

"The Caesar has many enemies. Something will turn up. I believe I read something that the one who defeated him is being brought in for questioning. I will add my own questions to the investigation and I will report any findings directly to you both."

"As for uncommon ailments, I may have yet another thing to try. Our resident Royal Poet, Elaine Bannon, has an interesting connection to the Mother. She hears the Mother's Song throughout the city, in people and things everywhere. Perhaps if she were summoned, she might be able to help in some way. Perhaps that Song and the Renewal aspect of the Mother can be combined or channeled in some way to rid him of whatever it is. I don't know if it would do any good, but I know it couldn't hurt to try."
Twilight
Retired staff

Post by Twilight »

Aesa agreed to Ulder’s recommendations, indicating that she would be sure to provide a list to the guards on duty. When Ulder then mentioned Elaine, Lady Aesa and Lady Hamilton exchanged a quick glance of surprise, but it was Lady Rioja who looked at him with sudden enthusiasm.

“Does she indeed?” the tattooed mystic responded thoughtfully, a gleam in her penetrating, pale grey eyes. “She just might at that, and no, it most certainly would not hurt, Captain! Can you arrange this, perhaps for the morrow? Are you well enough acquainted with Mistress Bannon, or shall we have her summoned? It is better, of course, to keep things quiet and unofficial,” Rioja added with a note of practical caution.

Although the two ladies looked somewhat uncertain about this proposed arrangement, neither commented. Lady Rioja was trusted implicitly, and if she thought this might be helpful then there were very few who would question her judgement.

Adrian Elsonrae

Really?

"Really?" Adrian inquired.

Adrian looked very impressed about his friend, but it would explain why his little diddy in the dungeon did her so much wonders if she was so tightly knit to music. It would also explain why she defeated him so resoundly in the poetry contest...

... And perhaps some insight as to how Marius injured her.

"Captain... may I have a word with you outside? I need to ask you about a couple of things."

He turned back to his company of the Caesar and the rest.

"If I may be excused, of course. If His Excellency still desires me to send the petitions for prayer, then I must get started. I am sure Elaine may be a great help to him."
Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

Somewhat surprised by their interested reaction, Ulder was very pleased that Elaine might be able to help. He had talked at great length with her about it already, but now had it on official business to bring her here to help.

He smiled at the Lady's words. Thinking about his many conversations with the topic at hand.

"I know Elaine pretty well, and I'm confident that she will do what she can to help. I will ask her to come here tomorrow evening. I would like for her to be as comfortable as possible, so I would appreciate this being as private as possible, and have as few people involved as necessary."

Ulder recalled their first meeting in the hall in front of the Caesar and everyone at the engagement dinner. He smiled inwardly at the thought.

"I would not suggest that she is a shy girl, but it's my opinion that she is still learning this gift herself, and her confidence in it is still growing. I would suggest as few people as possible until this power in her has fully begun to blossom."

As Adrian spoke, Ulder turned slightly to face him.

"As you wish Master Elsonrae." He turned back to the ladies before him.

"Would you please excuse me for a moment?"

Ulder walked out into the adjoining chamber and asked Adrian in low voice, "What may I help you with sir?"
Adrian Elsonrae

Outside chat

Adrian wanted to stay out of earshot for this conversation, looking back and talking softly, yet staying close enough in the case that Lady Hamilton needed to leave.

"Captain..." Adrian began quietly, dropping formalities as his concern was enimant on his face. "... As you may know, I am a good friend of Elaine's myself and... well, I've been very worried about what happened between her and Marius... there is just... something very... wrong about him that I can't explain and I fear that something happened to her. I will not pry, but if you have noticed something like I have, I would like to do anything in my power to get that bastard if he has wronged her."

Adrian thought back at that moment in the dungeon. How Marius acted as the saving grace after the Half-Giant was let into the cell in order to cause chaos... he had been on the streets for nearly forty yahren, and to instantly trust someone was indeed fishy.
Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

With his hands still clasped behind his back, Ulder leaned in slightly to better hear what the man had to say. He was somewhat surprised by Adrian's vehemence towards the Major Domo, and at the same time appreciated the man's candor and support of Elaine. However, he did not want to remotely encourage anything resembling vigilante justice. Such actions only made his job harder.

"Master Elsonrae, I appreciate your support very much, as I'm sure Elaine would, but I would not recommend taking any action against the Major Domo. I am here to Captain Palace security, and rest assured that I will take whatever steps necessary to protect anyone and everyone within these walls. I am very much aware of what went on between Lord DeWinter and Elaine."

"Rest assured that you have done your part in speaking with me about this. I will take it from here. I thank you for speaking up. It took a certain measure of courage to do so, and you've proven yourself a friend. That is something I will not forget."

He cleared his throat and spoke in a somewhat louder and safer tone than he had been using previously, glancing furtively at the others, specifically Lady Hamilton.

"Now then, one of the reasons I've come here was to also inquire about your health after the Tourney. I understand you took some rather severe strikes. How are you feeling?"
Adrian Elsonrae

Good.

"... Out of respect for Elaine and the law you uphold... I will leave it at that. She's safer here than I thought." Adrian sighed.

Adrian looked up for a moment, nodding and tilting his head a bit sheepishly.

"Yeah, that Valsert cracked me a bruise the size of a goose egg over my knee." Adrian replied. "Back is stiff from all that tumbling too. He's a good fighter, though, so no complaints."

It was interesting seeing Adrian drop his formal tone and talk normally. It was as if he knew which facet of his complicated jeweled spirit to show when.

"Glad it wasn't you, or the Caesar, though... I would have gotten trounced twice as fast. My grappling is what saved me in that cluster, not my sword."
Last edited by Adrian Elsonrae on Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

"We were all fortunate to come out without more serious injuries. With the exception of the Caesar and one other, I believe everyone is up and around."

Ulder did not mention much the unknown man he'd knocked out. So far, all of his attempts to find out more about the man and his identity as well as his condition had fallen short, but that would not stop him from trying to find out more.

"I'm glad to see you healing well and for that matter, doing so well. I look forward to speaking with you more around these parts. Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to find out if there is anything else I can do here, and return to duty."

He walked back into the chamber to check in with the Lady Rioja and asked her if there was anything else he could do, or assist with.

Post by Guest »

The three ladies had moved away from the Caesar’s bedside and were talking quietly. Anochrim appeared to be asleep. As Ulder re-entered the chamber, the three ladies looked up at him. It was Lady Aesa, however, who stepped forward to speak with him.

“Captain Ulder,” she said in her calm, authoritative tone. “The Master of Protocol should return shortly with a document for the Caesar to sign, and then he must rest. You will want to see that document, however,” she assured him. “It will, of course, become public record, but I think it would benefit you to see the original tonight, so that you know from the outset what is happening.” It seemed that Aesa had already developed an appreciation for Palace bureaucracy and its innate delays.
Andolin
Caesar

Post by Andolin »

Just as a creature of the netherworld knows its name when spoken, the Master of Protocol must have known he was being discussed, because he returned to Caesar's quarters with a parchment in hand. It was the writ of regency.

As he returned, he gave a bow, "ladies, Lieutenant. I have the writ here for Caesar's signature." He moved to hand it to Lady Aesa.

OOC~ I hope the timing is right. I assumed the last post was the invitation for my return. For the contents of the writ, click here. http://www.tazlure.nl/board/viewtopic.php?t=8252
[i]Someone has to be in charge, so it might as well be me.[/i]
Andolin Avatar by the Nice GD
Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

Ulder made room for the Master of Protocol to approach with the aforementioned document. He remained silent and carefully watched the statecraft at work as the Ladies and Andolin reviewed the document he had just authored.

For some reason, there was an uneasy, hollow feeling in the pit of his stomach. This was history in the making, or rather would be if the Caesar's mysterious illness could not be cured. He silently hoped that Elaine could come soon and work whatever power she held in an attempt to save the monarch's life.

He stood by at the ready. A silent witness to the events at hand as he listened to the discussion that followed Lord Azarin's important work.

Post by Guest »

((OOC: Perfect timing, Andi.))

Aesa moved to accept the document from the Master of Protocol, with a brief but significant glance to Ulder. She read it over and then asked Lady Hamilton to read it as well, but Aesa held the parchment so that Ulder might be able to see it too. At length, Helvania nodded her agreement to its contents, exchanging a brief, reassuring glance with Adrian, as Aesa then turned back to Andolin.

“Thank you, Lord Azarin. I believe that this is what my Lord Caesar had in mind.” Then, handing back the parchment to Andolin, Aesa crossed to Anochrim’s bedside and spoke quietly to him.

Waking from his doze with a grimace, Anochrim pushed himself up on his pillows, mumbling, “Yes, of course.” Once he felt himself sufficiently upright, he waved to Andolin. “Let’s see what you’ve got there, my friend.”
Andolin
Caesar

Post by Andolin »

With a bow of gratitude to Aesa, Andolin was happy to collect the document and carry it to Caesar's bedside. As smoothly as possible, he moved to Anochrim's side. "I have the writ you requested My Caesar. It encompasses all that you desired," he reported proudly. He looked for some hot wax to affix to the parchment so that Caesar could place the Imperial signet upon it. He doubted that the man wanted to sign the thing with ink.
Twilight
Retired staff

Post by Twilight »

“Thank you, my friend,” the Caesar replied to Andolin, as he accepted the parchment. Sealing wax was quickly located and Anochrim affixed his seal with little fanfare. He returned the document to Andolin and then sank back into his pillows, clearly in need of sleep. “Let’s call it a night, shall we?” Anochrim mumbled, settling himself more deeply under his covers. Apparently this was to be the end of their collective audience with the Caesar.

The little mystic nodded her agreement with Anochrim’s sentiments and began ushering everyone quietly from the chamber, reassuring them that sleep was the best thing for the Caesar at that point. “I shall remain near by, should he have need of me,” Rioja added, closing the bedchamber door silently behind her.

Once in the sitting room, Lady Hamilton turned to Aesa and said quietly, “If you have need of me on the morrow, you need only send word to Greystone and I shall be here within burns. I am sure that Adrian too will be at your beckon call,” she added, with a glance to her Rose to be certain of his assent.

Aesa, nodded gravely and replied, “I thank you.” Her gazed taking in first the lady and then the man, before turning to Andolin with a brief but significant glance to Ulder.

“My Lord Azarin, I trust that you will see to it that the document is properly dealt with. I imagine that copies must be circulated and such things?” Aesa considered. “And let us hope that we need not make use of it,” she added with quiet fervour, as her cool eyes observed the Master of Protocol. Perhaps this was a time for prayer, but who does one pray too so far from the home of one’s god?

Andolin
Caesar

Post by Andolin »

Andolin was grateful to accept back the sealed writ. He gave a nod to Anochrim and let him return to sleep.

Confronted by the cool eyes of Aesa, he replied calmly, "milady, I do not know that copies are necessary. We have five witnesses besides myself and only a sealed document has the force of law. As such, I suggest the document be kept in the most secure of places. I do not believe that my office would suffice in that regard," he offered as he turned to Ulder.

"Lieutenant, what do you recommend? We could leave the writ in Caesar's bedchamber. It is perhaps the safest of places."
Adrian Elsonrae

Bowing out...

Adrian knew that this was the time to move out and bowed respectfully to the Caesar before holding the door for Lady Hamilton. A silent leave was more than likely the best choice of action, but looked to his Lady first before acting.
Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

Ulder regarded the question for a few flickers, showing obvious thought and consideration to the question. He had only place that he thought the document would be safest...

"In my opinion, the document should be handled by Lord deWinter and stored with him."

Ulder did not need to state that the Major Domo was in charge running the operations and affairs of the Caesar and the Court. It would be obvious to everyone there why the Guard Captain selected him.
Andolin
Caesar

Post by Andolin »

"Ah yes, the Major Domo," Andolin replied amiably. "What an excellent suggestion, assuming that his security is exemplary." Can Marius be trusted? He is in league with Silk and they might conveniently lose the document

"I confess that I was thinking more of a place than a person. Just as Caesar keeps his crown jewels safe somewhere, so too could this document be added to it. Of course, it would need to be accessible to the Major Domo and the Purple Guard." He waited to see if Ulder would offer that there was a vault somewhere to stow it.
Adrian Elsonrae

Last place you'd expect?

Adrian thought for a moment, as he had waited for Helvania, but he turned around and pondered a suggestion.

"... Well... I would put it in a place that not many would expect to look. Maybe put it in the care of a trusted temple, or maybe hide it directly in the Caesar's room... considering he gets the most protection and sees who's arriving in an out, if it does go missing, then we know the select few who arrive in his room."
Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

Ulder listened to the Master of Protocol's thoughts on the matter. There seemed to be some hesitation about placing the document in the care of the Major Domo, and the more he thought about it, the more he tended to agree.

"I fear that sharing the location of the crown jewels would be difficult and tenuous at best. Such a place is under constant threat of theft and something of this magnitude is far more important than some shiny baubles."

He nodded in Adrian's direction to show his agreement and to give Adrian acknowledgement for his suggestion.

"I feel that Lord Elsonrae may be on to something with his suggestion of a Temple. It is by divine decree that he holds his office and although thieves often try to rob temples, they would think little of a scroll of parchment in favor of more obvious treasures. Inside the Temple of Illuminatus under Commander's Sosa's care is the safest possible location I can think of."
Andolin
Caesar

Post by Andolin »

Illuminatus? The thought sent a momentary chill down his spine. Yet, the more he thought of it, the more logical it became. Andolin had met the Ice Queen and had no desire for any interaction with her. He was a follower of Pan, but not particularly devout. The reputation of Panlings in the city ensured that their temple would be a poor choice. There were few others to choose from. Though Caesar swore by K'tan, he was not certain that the god had any power or following in the Citadel.

"That might be a good choice," he admitted. "Is Sosa back?" She did not seem particularly warm towards him, but she seemed loyal to Anochrim. That was enough for Andolin.
Twilight
Retired staff

Post by Twilight »

While the men talked, Lady Aesa and Lady Hamilton exchanged quiet words. Lady Rioja stood quietly by, as if lost in though, or perhaps prayer. Then Helvania nodded, seemingly in agreement to something Aesa has said, and almost as one, they turned to the men.

"If you will excuse me, my Lord, Captain, Master Elsonrae," the younger woman interrupted as politely as possible, but with the tone of one accustomed to taking precedence. "I shall bid you all a good Eventide." With that, Aesa nodded to each individually, expressing her gratitude silently in each glance, and then swept with quiet dignity from the chamber.

As she did so, Helvania moved to Adrian's side, slipping her hand onto her Rose's arm. It was an intimate gesture for a woman like Lady Hamilton to make, but one that was unlikely to be especially noticed by the others.

Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

Ulder gently shook his head.

"Commander Sosa has still not returned from her mission. But that does not mean we can't move forward with this plan. In fact I would be remiss in performing my duties if I were to simply allow something like this to sit until her return. If you would like, I can escort you over to the Temple at your convenience, or if you prefer, I can take the document over myself and speak with the High Priest. I defer to your judgement in this, although I believe the Major Domo should probably be at the very least notified of what you decide."

As the lady Aesa approached, he sketched a bow towards her and gave her a nod in return that he hoped conveyed his confident support of her and was a tad reassuring as well. Since they spoke at the tourney, he knew that she was struggling somewhat with adjusting to Citadel life, and he wanted to continue to show his support of her.

As for the intimate gesture of Lady Hamilton, it did not go unseen but the Guardsman, but that it have been an unusual action on her part simply didn't register with him, and went relatively unnoticed.

Return to “The Citadel proper Archive”