Study Break! (Magic Guild) SH 18 eTT

Moderators: Tristam, Mods

Ssinith DIllil
Tazlure Supporter

Study Break! (Magic Guild) SH 18 eTT

Post by Ssinith DIllil »

Ssinith had been facinated by the name Elcid a'Dorn and how often it popped up. Unsure if Gilanor would be joining him for more library duty after their class, he brought his notes and quill along, placing them to the side and once again filing away the library shelves according to the chart previously left. The two of them had made a huge dent, but the further along they were, the better.

While putting away what scrolls there were, he looked around to see if any of the professors were still around. Whatever could be used to gather certain subject material much like his teacher did on his way in and out would be benefitial in organizing things.

He would also put aside one or two of the most detailed texts he could find about Elcid a'Dorn. One about his life, and any texts that may have been written by him. One who has a repeated name in a library like this must have had done something pretty important.

Any spare texts about masonry, alchemy, philosophy or metalurgy would be placed aside for a further read.
"If all things are energy and a wizard is a master of manipulating it, then as a politician am I studying the greatest sorcery of all."

~S'sinith

NOMINATION
Most Heroic Male PC (2008)
Most Religious PC (2008/2006)

Post by Guest »

Gilanor had noticed Ssinith working through the contents of the first section of the library, but instead of joining him straight away had moved into the second section. Looking though the area he tried to find the chart to indicate how this section was organised. If nothing else he wanted to learn firstly if this section held different topics to the first. Also as he looked through the section he tried to see if he could determine if there might be another doorway leading onto yet further areas.

The dent that they had made in restructuring the first section over the last two days might seem as nothing, if there was one section after another hidden away in here. He wished he might learn how to weave the spell that had allowed the older student to gather those scrolls. It would certainly speed the sorting process to simply stand by a shelving area, and gather those scrolls and other texts associated with it.

With that weave in mind he fully intended to be ready to centre if he saw an older student browsing through the texts. Perhaps he might get a chance to at least see how the weave was formed, though he fully intended to practise it else where before using it within the library itself.
Last edited by Guest on Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ssinith DIllil
Tazlure Supporter

Laaaalalalaaaa...

Post by Ssinith DIllil »

Ssinith, being absorbed in his studies, barely noticed Gilanor walk in. Putting shelves in and about, here and there, he was humming a random tune as he enjoyed his "work". For him, this was his favorite past time, being one who was raised in a bookstore. His satchel remained with him for further writing, because he desired to practice his caligraphy and copy down the contents of one of the scrolls for personal and artistic use. It would be a favor to the Mages Guild, in his eyes, occationally seeing the chicken-scratched notes here and there. He had scribed a little for advertising for the bookshop, but if he could get good at it, then he would have something that could make a banner on the side for furthering his studies.
"If all things are energy and a wizard is a master of manipulating it, then as a politician am I studying the greatest sorcery of all."

~S'sinith

NOMINATION

Post by Guest »

It hadn't taken him long looking through the second section to decide that the most progress was to be made by cleaning this place up one section at a time. His first impression of this place when they had revealed it the other day were likely the truth. The library was going to be an endless task in restoring to order, so much so he wasn't sure how the Guild functioned at all with it in its present state.

Perhaps all the others students acquired texts of their own so they didn't need many things from the library. What few things they did require they simply located with that spell that the other student had used, and upon their return their simply left the text in the first available location. If so though it would be an endless amount of work first cleaning up these two sections, and then keeping them tidy.

Returning to the first area he started where he had left off the other time. The reorganisation of this section would certainly take a while, and he had some other things he wanted to take care of before Eveningtide today, but still a marks or two of work here couldn't but help keep things moving in the right direction.
Torigm Khace

Post by Torigm Khace »

As the work progressed slowly finding that the easy placements happened quickly and the harder placements required some examining and researching before being placed properly onto the shelves. Ssinith, looking for specific texts, could find nothing, in this section at least on the common name of Elcid A'dorn. He did find however a book written by Elcid, "The Philosophy of Stone Magicks". Other books that came to his attention were another book on Philosophy by Encierno, "The Matchlight Principles", and a book on masonry by Oderin Maerret, "Masonry Work".

In his search for artistic scrolls, Ssinith came across one he could not find a place for. The text to be written in a text Ssinith had never read before, but the letters were flowing and beautiful to behold. Only at the end of the text did the name a'Dorn seem to stand out to his eyes.

Gilanor stepped into the second section. The hope of ever completing this task fled his mind as the stacks of book and scrolls and bound papers were piled just as high and the careful trim of yet another door caught his vision at the top of a particularly thick stack of books against an adjacent wall. The titles within this section were just as varied and diverse as the last section and the layout very similar.

As Gilanor, stepped back into the first section to continue work, a familiar face popped into the room. The same black skinned adhiel from the prior stint in the library whistled as he looked around.

"You lads are doing quite a job here." He walked around the cleaner floor looking through the titles that now lined many shelves. "I didn't know we had this!" He pulled the book off the shelf and tucked it under his arm. Both Gilanor and Ssinith could see that the man was still young and he wore a white sash similar to theirs. The Four elements were proudly displayed along the front in neat order. Along the back of his sash, were several other badges and marks indicating a mind, a shadow, and a couple arcane symbols.
Ssinith DIllil
Tazlure Supporter

Hello!

Post by Ssinith DIllil »

"Thank you, sir." Ssinith replied. "I am Ssinith D'Illil. What is yours?"

He placed the books he wanted to read to the side, as well as the artistic scroll. He held out his hand to the more advanced student with a smile. He always respected a man of study. Ssinith wore but the lone Alchemy badge on his sash. He pondered what the shadow meant, but continued conversation.

~S'sinith

NOMINATION

Post by Guest »

"I'm Gilanor." He stated simply as he turned in the direction of the other student, after picking up a few scrolls he spotted with their topic marked on them.

"I don't suppose you know how many sections to the library there are? It seems that there is at least another one, and I'd bet there is more beyond that one. Whoever it was that made a mess of the library did a very complete job of it."

Gilanor's eyes flickered over the bages on the other students sash and he couldn't help but wonder how long it would take him to gain such proficiency.
Torigm Khace

Post by Torigm Khace »

"Most everyone just calls me Tin. What about sections?" He was looking around and finally spied the opening. His eyes went wide and he stepped into the mess of books that littered the second section.

"I never knew this existed." He picked up several of the books and tossed them aside noticing that there was no semblance of order to this part of the library yet. He had creased each book scanning the beginning of each one he selected. "These texts are much older than those in that section. I wonder..."

Tin scanned the walls and books and finally saw the same thing that Gilanor had seen. Tin scaled the pile of book in that section and shoved the top of the stacks to the side. "Yes! Another section, probably with older books still. What in the name of the moon happened here?" Tin was looking around confused, standing in the second section of the library for a bit before crossing back into the area with Gilanor and Ssinith.
Ssinith DIllil
Tazlure Supporter

The Story

Post by Ssinith DIllil »

"Professor Dhorn stated that a student used a spell here and sent the library into the chaos that you see." Ssinith replied. "The student also has seemed to have vanished into thin air. We have been asked to aid in the restoration here... though I never knew it was this severe until you, yourself, have shown us."

Ssinith looked at the third area and sighed, shaking his head.

"This will take at least seven to ten more tides at this rate." Ssinith sulked. "Ah well... at least we are getting our studies in between this. Care to help us with the progress, Tin? I am sure you will find many other texts that you never knew existed and maybe one that would be useful."

~S'sinith

NOMINATION
Torigm Khace

Post by Torigm Khace »

Tin made a face and sucked air in through clenched teeth and looked at the still untouched second section. "No, I'm afraid I'm going to have to pass on that offer. I have studies to attend to and I have my own duties to perform. I had just come down for one more book, but I think perhaps I'll take a second., as well," he tapped the book tucked safely under his arm.

Tin raised a hand and bundle of papers piled near the section determined as Geomancy flipped end over end until it was at his feet and then shot up off the floor into his hand. "But if there is something else, I can do for you, lads, let me know. I have a room in the Red Rotunda if you ever want to drop by."

Tin was paused on the threshold of the library, looking around at all the work that Ssinith and Gilanor had accomplished and looking at the now revealed chart of the areas within.
Ssinith DIllil
Tazlure Supporter

Wait a moment!

Post by Ssinith DIllil »

Seeing the trick with the books occur again, he raised a hand and walked after Tin for a moment.

"Wait, Tin!" Ssinith replied. "How did you do that? Is that an advanced spell, or is there an incantation on the books in order to grab them? If you could show us, it would make things much faster for us."

~S'sinith

NOMINATION
Torigm Khace

Post by Torigm Khace »

Tin looked at the parcel in his hand and shrugged. "There isn't much too it but you have to have set a mark on the text first. When I first arrived I was given several books and notes and scrolls to read and one day a Professor Kob'Achlun had demonstrated how to find an object again and call it to you.

"Kob'Achlun said you much place a mark on the text. The mark is not one of ink and quill but of your own personal signature. It often goes undetected by other mages who aren't looking for such things, and it mingles with the energies of the object. This bundle of notes for example are on the mating habits of Flutter Bats. It's the only text I know about this, so I've placed a mark upon it that identifies it to me, for what it means to me. Understand?

"That way when I come in here and I need to retrieve the text on the mating habits of flutter bats in my name this bundle will try and come to me. If it's buried too deep then nothing happens. Perhaps a stronger mage or another type of spell would give the object strength to come to my hand but it's such a simple thing to place the mark and not worry about anything else.

"Kob'Achlun also had said the magic would only work on the most recent of a named item. So naming too things the same with your mark, will only bring the one you most recently named. I assume you want to try and place a mark. To do so you'll need to open yourself a little to the energies within yourself. The threads that make you up have a signature we can't define. Then merely take a strand and tie it around the object in question. While doing this concentrate very carefully on what you are naming that thread.

"Then to retrieve, simply use the same will that you use to construct your shield, while you are making the shield, pull that very specific thread to you and lo and behold it will come if it is able."

Tin demonstrated once again. A book toppled off the shelf associated with Gulanadur Geography and flopped onto the ground and hopped over to Tin and popped up off the floor into his hand. He smiled quite pleased with himself for remembering the lessons so clearly.
Ssinith DIllil
Tazlure Supporter

Shields?

Post by Ssinith DIllil »

"I am afraid I have not gotten as far as shields yet. This is but my second tide here." Ssinith admitted with his head slightly downcast. "But once I do, I shall remember that. Perhaps that will give us a clue, then, as to where this missing student is..."

Ssinith placed a thoughtful hand on his chin, looking at the newly found areas of the library. Once again, Ssinith went on one of his great pondering speeches.

"But one can only summon one recent text at a time... maybe the document in question had a shield of its own that sort of backfired on the student's strand... and then..." Ssinith said, motioning with his hands. "... Boom... you said yourself you are finding texts that you never knew were here. This library has more secrets than the merchant guilds combined... it was as if everything was teleported like a Alchemy project gone wrong... if it were a matter of just one spell blowing up, then one would deduce that some texts could have been damaged and it would have stayed in one section. They seem to just be littered. I am sure that you have been in this library far longer than I have... if the walls open and close to each new section, and all the sections are in some array of disorder, one could assume that someone was attempting something with teleportation, or at least movement."

Ssinith then looked to Gilanor, thinking it a good time to start looking for the missing student. In the very least, if they could find more hidden sections of the library, then they would at least know the extent of the damage... Ssinith was always a fan of a mystery...

"If you need to leave for class, Tin, go on, but if you could get more information from Professor Kob'Achlun about other spells that would be occationally used in the library, I would greatly appreciate it."

~S'sinith

NOMINATION

Post by Guest »

"It could also have been a more advanced spell after all we don't know what the student was trying to actually achieve. Since Tin here was taught the spell apparently for this purpose I doubt it was the one that caused this confusion." Gilanor stated, glad he had been here for Tin explanation though he had tried to centre himself and catch how the spell had actually worked he still wasn't sure how much he had picked up.

If it was related to Shielding as Tin had indicated perhaps what he had seen and felt might make more sense when they reached that point in their lessons. For now though it seemed they had quite a lot of work to get through, in the three sections of the library at least and who only knew how many more after that.

"Thank you for your time, and your invitation." Gilanor said, giving Tin a polite nod of thanks.
Torigm Khace

Post by Torigm Khace »

"Oh, well I don't want to get you too far ahead of your studies, but you are working in the library. There is a section on the basics of spellcasting, or so I thought," Tin let his thoughts trail off as he looked at the chart and a book flopped out of a yet unshelved stack and bounced across the floor to him.

"Well, maybe you haven't gotten to that section yet. This book here," he lifted his hand and the book lept upwards into the air and he caught it. "is one of the old books they'd give beginning students. If you didn't get one, then this will do just fine. They change things periodically to reflect the current fashion or because some professor wants to reword it his way.

"This is one by a Ti Igoro. Before my time, but it can't be too far off. Basics are basics. Just act surprised if you start to learn it in class." Tin waved his hand unceremoniously in the air as if brushing away a silly notion. He set the book on a desk apart from others and shrugged at a loss for further words.

"Well, I'd better get back to my studies, been great talking with you, lads." Tin turned on his heels and like a shot was taking long strides forward with a book open in his hands to return to his chambers.
Adrian Elsonrae

Hmmmm...

Post by Adrian Elsonrae »

He waved to Tin as he passed, looking at the old book and remembering Master Grond's words about not getting too far ahead. Still, it would be interesting to see the differences between then and now of how the theories of Magic has evolved. He fought with himself, the book like a piece of candy.

After a bit of hesitation, he placed the book with the others he was gathering for reading and decided to return to the library work.

"If you want to read it first, by all means, have at it. We are roomates, after all." Ssinith replied.

Ssinith was interested in seeing just how many secret areas there were in this library and decided that seeing which rooms needed a tidy up would determine how long this project was going to take. With the clatter of his shoes echoing in the room, he looked around the walls.
Torigm Khace

Post by Torigm Khace »

books, books, shelves, and more books. The room seems to have shaped up quite nicely. With still more than a quarter of the way to go with stacks of similar book and scrolls and bundles in various portions of this first section and neatly lined shelves, scroll racks, and bundle bins organized by the hands of Ssinith and Gilanor, The library looked good. The startling difference between the revealed untouched second section and the much more organized first section, allowed the two to see just how much work had been done.

The walls however behind the shelves and stacks of books were solid and gray. Only two doorways were in this room and the next. In the first section there was the exit and the entrance to the second section. In the second section there was the exit to the first section and the entrance to the third. The task to clean up and reorganize the library was clearly a task for beginning students who needed to be preoccupied with respect for the knowledge of the past. Likely it was also an opportunity to get the library straightened up by eager young recruits.

The secrets of the library by all appearances were hidden within the words of the many texts that were either stacked on shelves or scattered on the floor.
Ssinith DIllil
Tazlure Supporter

Oh well...

Post by Ssinith DIllil »

"Hmmm... I suppose we have been working more quickly than I had anticipated. This is very good." Ssinith said with a smile. "If we can finish today, then it will open up some free time for more practice, Gilanor. Perhaps we should turn our efforts up a notch."

Ssinith folded out the chart, getting his organizational skills in order. Taking groups of books and adjusting his spectacles, he picked up the pace of his work, hoping to finish as quickly as he could.

~S'sinith

NOMINATION
Torigm Khace

Post by Torigm Khace »

Time passed quickly and the work seemed to go well as the slow rounds of organization paid off. Shelves and bins and scroll racks seemed to fill quickly and with precision. The glory of the knowledge within the library took form in the varied and orderly methods of storage. The looming spectre of the second room, however seemed to threaten to overflow into the ordered first room of the library.
Ssinith DIllil
Tazlure Supporter

Whew!

Post by Ssinith DIllil »

Wiping some sweat from his brow, Ssinith wondered what time it was... he did not wish to be late to any classes. He looked around for a candle that marked the hour, wondering if now would be a good time to call it a tide for the library.

~S'sinith

NOMINATION

Post by Guest »

The hours had indeed passed quickly but Gilanor was pleased with how much they had managed to get through with the organisation of the first section. The mess in the second section, and no doubt the mess they would find in yet another beyond it was depressing but he tried to keep his mind focused on the progress in the first section.

"I've got something I need to take care of Ssinith I'll see you back at the room later on I suppose." Gilanor said, picking up the book that Tin had recommend to them as well as a number of others that Ssinith had set aside it seemed to review. Since he had placed this text with them.

"I'll take these lot back to our room before I head out. I just wish we had more time to read some of the works we've reorganised instead of just sorting them out. Perhaps we should spend a bit of our time in here each day doing some reading as well as working. You were wanting to look through these others I assume?"
Torigm Khace

Post by Torigm Khace »

OOC: Ssinith will find no time piece in the library and Gilanor is exiting the scene. Please let me know of any further actions that you might have, Ssinith, as I have nothing further to add to this thread at the moment.

Thanks!

JOE--
Ssinith DIllil
Tazlure Supporter

Me neither

Post by Ssinith DIllil »

((Neither do I... :( ))

~S'sinith

NOMINATION
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Thread skilled.

Skills gained

Literacy Adhiel *
[size=100]
Donald heard a mermaid sing, Susy spied an elf,
But all the magic I have known, I've had to make myself.

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Return to “Gulanadur Archive”