The Tribe is a Family on Wheels ~ Derik

Moderator: Mods

Ashari
Moderator & Coordinator Mer Cities

The Tribe is a Family on Wheels ~ Derik

Post by Ashari »

The sun had rose above the sandy hills of the Great Desert much the same way it had any other morning. Reds, pinks, oranges and yellows brightened and then faded into obscurity as blue filled the sky overhead. Small dry clouds, high in the atmosphere, floated overhead, but brought no sign of rain along with them. It had been very dry lately, and the shephards were beginning to suffer.

Flocks had died, leaving some of the Giants without means to sustain their lifestyle which relied heavily on the furry beasts. Camels, although able to go a long time without water, lost their strength quickly when travelling from one oasis to the next.

Derik's tribe had found themselves a nice patch of greenery to sit upon, quite by chance. It was a new oasis, no trees had sprouted, only small tufts of grasses and clumbs of ferns. The plants circled around the oblong pool and then tapered off into the desert sands. The tents had been set up around the five-foot in diameter puddle which was fed from an underground spring.

"G'morning." One of Derik's 'brothers' said as he rolled over on his bed across the way from where the young half-giant slept. The boy wasn't actually related to him, except by marriage, but in the society of the shephards everyone was family. "Sleep well?" He asked through a yawn as he sat up and stretched. It was Pinmah, a few yahren younger than Derik, he had been trained to take after his own father as a herder. Such training had left him little time to pal around since childhood, so they had become distant in recent times, but Pinmah was effortlessly friendly.
[color=#000000][i]"What of the soul was left, I wonder, when the kissing had to stop?"[/i]
-- Robert Browning. [/color][size=75][i]Avatar by: [url=http://vyrl.deviantart.com/]vyrl[/url][/i][/size]
Derik Kencade

In The Wee Hours Of the Morning

Post by Derik Kencade »

Derik rolled over and smiled at Pinmah. "Morning to you brother." Derik said. Pinmah's company was welcomed to Derik who usually didn't really care for too many people. However Derik liked Pinmah's nature. Connected to the Tribe and a herder. Derik himself however could not be a herder. His life led down a different road, perhaps a darker road. Derik pushed such thoughts away from his mind instead he focused on the morning. Derik loved the desert in the morning. All the colors blended together. Even Pan himself couldn't have built a better place for Derik and his Family to live.
"Beautiful." Was all Derik said while looking outside the tent. Derik then looked at Pinmah. "So, how goes the herds? Any more losses?" Derik asked. Deriik was worried for his people about the recent events in the desert. Derik assumed it would pass or actually he hoped they were just going through a dry spell. Derik started getting dressed while he conversed with Pinmah.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

OOC: Exceptionally sorry for the delay x_x Holidays are hell.

IC:

"There've been a few, yeah." Pinmah said and sighed, as he pulled on a dusty colored tunic. It was light material that helped keep the sun off one's back. Many of the half-giants were thankful for it.

"I'm worried about the herd, if we lose too many more then breeding will become complicated. Many of the other tribes are dealing with the same losses, so we can't really barter for them either, so it's becoming tough. It may come down to wrangling wilds, but I'm not sure I'm up for the challenge of it." The young tribesman laughed at the notion of chasing down the fast creatures.

It wasn't that he wasn't fit, actually he was a strong youth, but it was more the act of someone so large bearing down in a creature so small. Sheep and goats are hardly as ferocious as, say, a raptor, and yet that pairing made more sense.
[color=#000000][i]"What of the soul was left, I wonder, when the kissing had to stop?"[/i]
-- Robert Browning. [/color][size=75][i]Avatar by: [url=http://vyrl.deviantart.com/]vyrl[/url][/i][/size]
Derik Kencade

Post by Derik Kencade »

Derik sighed. He wished he could make it easier for not only his tribe but all the tribes. Derik smiled at Pinmah, he liked Pinmah's sense of humor. Derik put his tunic on and adorned appropriate clothing.
"I worry Pinmah." Derik said at last. "And it fustrates me, because there is nothing I can do." Derik said. Derik paused for a moment and then put his hand on Pinmah's shoulder. "I hope it will pass." Derik said tring not to upset Pinmah, who undoubtedly was worried.

Derik finished dressing and waited for Pinmah. "Any other news that you have heard lately?" Derik asked him, his curious nature usual for a person who liked to be well informed.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

OOC: Happy New Years! ::smiles:: Hope your holiday was safe and, of course, fun!

IC:

"I too hope it passes, but like all things, Uphuron must have a plan for us, as well as Pan and Anasis." It was a strange thing among the tribe, the many beliefs. Some believed devoutly in only the presence of Pan, where as others, who had been swayed by the native humans of Amun Rah allowed the ideas of Uphuron and Anasis to infiltrate their minds.

"The only other news I've got is that there will be a merchant caravan coming through in the next day or so, heading from further out in the desert back toward Abu`Sahir." He shrugged. "Though, I'm not sure exactly when. Someone said they are trading, bringing grain for the animals, but I don't know. We will see... if they are we really may need it as well as whatever barrels for water they can spare."

Pinmah headed out of the tent into the glory of the sun overhead. It was going to be another hot Amunic day, with not a rain cloud in sight. A sheep bleated from a small patch of grass over to the right. It was a baby, trying to feed off of it's dehydrated mother who was busily drinking at the last remnants of water the shepherds had given them. It was important to keep the animals watered, but the half-giants needed it as well.
Derik Kencade

Post by Derik Kencade »

OOC: Thanks *Grin* Still recovering from new years myself. I party hardy.
Derik nodded letting Pinmah know his agreement. A caravan, hopefully the merchants were generous if they were not well then he would have to take matter into his own hands. He would not let his people get shafted not during this time. Derik walked outside the tent and looked around for a little bit smiling at the sun. Derik though the desert was beautiful. However in the back of his mind he was always waiting for the merchants to arrive. Derik looked around the camp for a little bit while conducting his normal morning routine, which was checking on the tribe.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

OOC: Yeah. The recovery process. I partied hardy too.

IC:

The day went by normally enough, with children scurrying about getting into trouble when their mothers weren't looking and adult busily working their crafts in waiting for the arrival of the caravan.

Around tradetide the long row of wagons, some covered, others exposed, could be seen on the horizon, slowly moving toward it's next trade destination. At this rate they would pass by in about a mark, which wasn't long. As soon as they were spotted the artisans gathered their creations: blown glass, gold pieces, jewelry made of maleable metals, skins, furs, and several exotic animals that the tourists of Amun Rah, especially nobles, always fancied.

Pinmah, having set his herd out to graze, saw Derik and walked over. "Hello." He smiled. "Almost here. The women are preparing a drink for them and our leader is ready for negotiations. I hope they go well. There are young men among the tribe.. they are losing faith. Some want to join the caravans and leave the desert." It was unclear if Pinmah was speaking of himself within this group, or merely making the observation.
Derik Kencade

Post by Derik Kencade »

Derik smiled at Pinmah. "Leaving the desert..." He let the words trail off as he thought of that. Derik did admit he thought of leaving the desert from time to time but it was difficult he felt responsible for his people. Derik looked at Pinmah.
"You thinking of that?" Derik asked as he gathered some things for trading. Derik waited for Pinmah's reply. To be honest sometimes Derik was honestly thinking about it himself but was reluctant waiting to make up his mind. He felt like it might be abandoning the tribe. Then again maybe that might be safer for his people. After all only so much killing would go unnoticed. He worried one day that he would kill the wrong person and it would come back upon his people. While Derik was not so much concerned for his own welfare at times the thought of bringing others who didn't deserve it down with him. Derik cleared his throat and just looked at Pinmah.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

"Yeah..." He said hesitantly. "I mean, I've thought about it, but I do love the Tribe, don't get me wrong. It just seems like someone else could easily take over the herds, and I might serve us better somewhere else, right? I mean, I've heard of half-giants leaving and amassing a great fortune in the Arena in the city, and then returning. I'd rather do that then resort to other means." He didn't elaborate, but any half-giant worth his weight knew what Pimah spoke of.

There was a great wealth in the desert, hidden by the elders of the tribes, and only they knew for where the accumulation of gold and gems had been stashed. It had been spoken of before, that one would venture to gather some of the gold so that the Tribes would get by through a tough season, but it had never actually happened. Now, as the herds died, more and more of the common folk spoke of returning to that sacred spot and taking back some of the treasure, but the elders had forbade it so far. "I mean, don't you think that it would be better to go to the city? Atleast for a bit, I'd like to say that I'd seen it." He smiled softly.
Derik Kencade

Post by Derik Kencade »

Derik shot a sly smile to Pinmah. "Yeah, I actually have thought of it myself, more than I'd admit. Are you really wanting to do it? I mean we could do it together if you want to. It would be easier. Then we could help the tribe, and when we have amassed welth we will come back if we want." Derik paused and he looked at Pinmah. Derik put a hand on Pinmah's shoulder. "What do you think Brother?"
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

Pinmah looked over to his friend and grinned. There was a childlike gleam to his eyes. In truth, the half-giant was just a bit younger than Derik, not that a yahren seemed to make much of a difference, but the sparkle in his glance showed his eagerness to set out on such a voyage.

"That, to me, brother, sounds better than any other plan I've heard all day." His smile widened, but then, as one of the elders passed by, the half-giant's appearance sobered. "But what will the others say? I don't want to abandon the tribe."

In truth, leaving the travelling village was highly frowned upon. The tribes has lost many strong men to the city who claimed they would come back, but never did. It made the elders worried over losing any more of their boys to Abu`Sahir. Women thought it was a place of lusting, that they never returned because of brothels and bars. The elders thought they never came back due to the wealth they aquired, that greed had taken root in the big city.

What they didn't know, was that many of the young men didn't even make it to the city, but died on the journey. It was a difficult trek to make, without a tribe to keep you going you lose hope as sands stretch on for days and days. "Do you even think we could make it on our own?" Pinmah added.
Derik Kencade

Post by Derik Kencade »

Derik shot a quck grin back at Pinmah. "I don't want to abandon the tribe either." Derik then paused. "In truth I don't know what to say." Derik then sighed. "I mean we could talk to the elders but I don't think they would approve." Derik took a deep breath. "Could we make it?" Derik paused. "I think so, we are strong brother." Derik then paused.
"Do you think we should talk to anyone? I mean if we go we have little time." Derik then waited for Pinmah's response.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

"Well..." Pinmah thought. "Well, what if we didn't go all on our own?" His dark brown eyes met Derik's and he grinned. "I mean, we could trade our way onto the Caravan, don't you think? Two strong guys like us? They would love our help."

Pinmah stood up and flexed a bit, playfully displaying his muscles. "Though, I dunno if you could handle it." The young man grinned and casually punched his friend's shoulder. "You're more than welcome to back out, I'd understand." He winked.
Derik Kencade

Post by Derik Kencade »

Dereik nodded. A grin crossed his face as Pinmah punched him in the shoulder. "Ha, they would be greatly disappointed if only you went." Derik said with a grin playfully flexing his muscles back. "I mean I wouldn't want you to hurt yourself." Derik then put his hand on Pinmah's shoulder with a laugh. "Let's do this bother." Derik enjoyed those playful games Pinmah played. It made him feel almost carefree at times. He was thankful that Pinmah was going with him. In all honesty he couldn't think of anyone else from the tribe he would rather have with him at this moment.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

"Haha, yeah, it's always good to have someone at your back." Pinmah nodded and began to set out for their tent they had only left a short while ago. "Maybe we should get-a-packin then?" He said and grinned pulling the flap aside of the Bidrah tent and moved toward his belongings. "Suppose we should travel light, eh?" He thought of the desert heat, the heaviest things they would have would be their water. "My father had this map.. I saw it once in his tent, of all the water holes between here and Abu`Sahir. Well, atleast, the ones that are always there. He said that new oasises sprout up all the time. But, maybe I could grab that."

Packing light for a half-giant, and packing light for any other sentient race, were entirely different matters. Routinely as always the youth began to fill his pack. The tribe did much travelling, so it was hardly a big deal to have to get everything tucked away, and sometimes quickly depending on what was going on.

"We can set out right away, or wait for nightfall, which do you think is a better idea, Derik?" Pinmah asked. Everyone knew that it was dangerous to travel the desert heat, but as tough as that was, venturing out during the freezing nighttime temperatures was just as bad. The pair would need to be prepared for boiling and for frost.
Derik Kencade

Post by Derik Kencade »

Derik nodded and then went and began packing his stuff. Derik always had his belongings kept neatly as most half giants did. Derik kept his things close as well knowing his profession he always kept that in mind.
"I think that map would be useful." Derik then grinned at Pinmah. "Did you're father venture outside of the tribe Pinmah?" Derik asked thinking that was why he had a map but then again he could have just traded it with the merchants so he could find watering holes. Derik then continued packing. Derik thought about the times to travel. Daytime was hot and nightime was freezing. "Well, I think we should go ahead and travel during the day." Derik paused for a moment. "I prefer to deal with the heat than the things in the night, unless you would rather travel druing the night."
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

"Yeah, he travelled a bit in his youth. The elders weren't happy with him, but it's how he met my mother. He went to Abu`Sahir, made some coin and then returned to the desert. During his journey back to the tribe he met another tribe, the Yuntir's, and it is from them that my mother decended. Anyway, they met, fell in love, and then he brought her with him to our tribe and they had the hand-fasting ceremony and I was born a yahren or so later." He smiled.

"I should like to meet a nice woman and bring her back to the tribe, that would do much good, not that the girls here aren't nice... it's just, I've known them my entire life. I mean, maybe Klirna, but even then, we were raised together, she is practically like a sister, it's just weird." He shrugged and continued packing.

"No, I think travel by day and sleep by night sounds as good a plan as any. Natural, if nothing else." He smiled and pushed a heavy cloak into his bag. "Too bad we don't have a raptor or two..." Pinmah mused. The raptors were free range, and a few had stuck near their tribe, but everyone knew you had to ask permission of the Elders to take them... everyone also knew you weren't supposed to leave the tribe without permission either, and they weren't following that rule.
Derik Kencade

Post by Derik Kencade »

Derik nodded and smiled at Pinmah. "Well, I don't think the elders would approve of us takin off either." Derik noted as he packed the rest of his clothing. "Raptors would be nice, maybe we could...borrow a couple if we run into some...leave them here when we leave the desert." Derik the paused for a moment. "Sometimes I wish my father would have traveled." Derik said. Derik did agree with Pinmah on how it was wierd to think of the females in the tribe as possible wives. After all everyone was like they were related. Derik then looked at Pinmah. Derik was worried a little about doing his job with Pinmah around. He hoped Pinmah would understand. He almost said something but then he just sighed and then continued packing. "Well, That's it." Derik said as he finished his packing then he helped Pinmah.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

Pinmah finished his packing almost at the same time as Derik. "Alright, I'm all set as well." He lifted to satchel and placed it on his bed. "We should grab this last. I think the best time to sneak off would be when the caravan is here, since that would provide a distraction. We just have to get past the height of the sand-dunes to the east and they won't be able to see us after that." The young half-giant suggested. "For now, though, we should get over to my parents' tent, they should be doing things for the trading, and won't be worrying about their tent, nor us."

He left the tent and moved toward the lodging of his parents. It was an impressive Bidrah tent, made of many skins and furs to keep in the warmth during the night, as well as a large furnace in the center that burned off of the dung of the animals. Half-giants used everything they possibly could. "You stand guard." He said to Derik and quickly stepped inside. He was gone merely a flicker before he stuck his head back out. "Oh, and try to look casual, I know you have a tough time blending in." Pinmah said sarcastically. He didn't realize to what extent Derik had worked in the shadows.

Inside the tent the young fellow worked quietly and diligently to get the maps and other tools they needed for the journey. Kinthir, Pinmah's father, had kept everything he used for his travels. In fact, it was Kinthir that came from around one of the other tents and was heading toward his own home. He was, perhaps, two burns away from reaching his door moving at a brisk pace. No doubt the older half-giant had something specific in mind as he moved.
Derik Kencade

Post by Derik Kencade »

Derik watched the front of the tent. Although he felt odd he tried to not be seen. Derik hoped Pinmah would hurry up. Derik then noticed Kinthir comming. Derik made his way to the back of the tent and kind of poked his head underneath the material so he could see Pinmah.

"Kinthir comming this way." Derik said and pointed to the front of the tent. "Hurry." Derik said. Derik hoped that Pinmah could do what he needed to as he pulled his head out of the material. It might not seem odd Pinmah being in the tent but Derik standing around would seem odd so Derik decided to keep hidden until he knew Pinmah was in the clear.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

It was no easy task to lift the heavy material of the tent, but after some fussing he was able to pry open a big enough area to warn Pinmah who turned and looked at him with the wide eyes of a child who was caught with his hand in the cookie jar right before dinner. "Ok!" He whispered urgently as he stuffed away the maps and tools before striding confidently over to the door of the tent and walking out.

Muffled voices on the other side of the building could be heard. "Hello father, I was looking for you about the caravan, do you need any assistance?" He asked casually. Kinthir said no, but also thanked his son for the help before he entered the tent himself.

With haste Pinmah moved to the back of the tent. "Come on!" He said with much enthusiasm, but it wasn't a shout. "We better get going before he notices what I took." Idly he patted the sack and grinned. "We are all set, Derik, are you ready for the journey of our lives?" He was excited as he moved. "It seems like everyone is congregating to gather goods for the trades. We should really get moving up the side of the big sand dune so they don't see us. By the time they notice, hopefully, our tracks will be gone."
Derik Kencade

Post by Derik Kencade »

Derik nodded to Pinmah. "Yeah, let's go." Derik then followed Pinmah up the side of the dunes and to where they were going to go.
"This is crazy." Derik said as they went up. Derik then thought of his profession. Derik paused a minute and looked at Pinmah.
"Sometime I'll have to tell you something about myself brother." Derik then gave Pinmah a reassuring smile and waited for him to continue.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

Pinmah grinned and made his way up the dune aside his friend. "Is it really crazy? Perhaps we are just crazy with intelligence. Only the strong survive the desert, we will prove ourselves to our tribe. It is the best thing we could ever do."

As Derik stopped dead in his tracks Pinmah halted as well, suddenly feeling as if he were missing something vitally important. Once his companion spoke, he didn't feel much better. "Uhm.. alright." He replied hesitantly looking at his long time friend. "But we're gonna have plenty of time between now and then to talk. If you have to tell me something, you might as well just spill it." He shrugged. He was hardly one for hiding things, it was his nature. Maybe that made him naive, or it made him the most truthful person Derik could find himself in company with.

However, he didn't push the issue, instead he looked down at the compass he had stuffed into his pocket and began moving forward. "My father got this thing from a gnome. I guess they are rare." He grinned. "I bet he's going to go crazy when he sees all this stuff is gone!"

The pair moved along like this for mark upon mark until the dusk began to cool the sands. Several times they had to stop so Pinmah could look over their maps. At one point he was going to explain the navigation to Derik, but he figured it would be wasted time. They would have plenty of chances to discuss how to read maps once they reached the city. As the bright light of Uphuron descended to the horizon the half-giant spoke: "There should be an oasis over this dune." He hadn't used too much of his water so far, but it was always good to fill up whenever they had the chance.

As predicted, indeed there was a small oasis over the sandy hill. A little pond, surrounded by green ferns and a single bush met the two travellers. Their first day had gone wonderfully. "Well, there really isn't much of anything here to burn or anything, I hope we have enough to keep us warm." Pimah said as he tossed his pack down on the grass and lent down to fill his canteen before washing his dusty hands and face in the pool of cool clear water.
Derik Kencade

Post by Derik Kencade »

Derik smiled when he listened to Pinmah. Pinmah's nature made Derik feel very much at ease. When Pinmah mentioned Gnomes Derik spoke up. "Hey, maybe we'll meet some Gnomes someday, or maybe some other race that other from the tribe have not met." Derik said.

The map proved to be useful Derik was glad they had it. Unfortunately they had to steal it and he was afraid that might put Pinmah in a bit of a situation when they came back. Then again maybe not. Derik walked up to the oasis and splashed some of the water on his face and topped off all of his water. Then he turned to Pinmah and looked at him.

"I do have something to tell you brother." Derik said. "I'm an assassin." Derik said just letting it slip out. "I was tring to find the right time to tell you, I hope you don't think less of me." Derik said facing his friend now.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

"Wouldn't that be exciting?!" Pinmah said, grinning, as he began to unpack some of his rations for a meal before they pulled out there bedding. "I mean, what if we met something amazing? Like a Swanmaiden or something! They are supposed to be some of the most beautiful women on the entire planet, and immortal. They have to give up their immortality to give their heart. Now that's the kind of woman I could bring back to the tribe proudly." He nodded and thought of a dovelike creature such as that.

"Something to tell me?" The half-giant looked confused by Derik's serious tone, but sat still and listened to the sentence that followed. "You're a what?" He asked shocked as he stood and backed away from his companion a step behind him. "No you're not." He grinned and shook his head. "Alright, you got me, what did you really want to tell me?" His dark eyes met his friend's as he awaited a more believable fact.

Return to “Amun Rah Archive”