After class research ~ Samheen 18th Tradetide

Moderators: Tristam, Mods

After class research ~ Samheen 18th Tradetide

Post by Guest »

The chamber was empty, only himself and the unfortunate young misfit remained there. It would take Cadell all morningtide and most likely the midtide also to complete the 400 paragraphs. Stillness consumed the chamber and save for the scratching of the pen on the dry parchment it was peaceful. Gaeden enjoyed it and unless the scribing resonance he might have stayed there and practice on his recently aquired skills.

"Have a good day, Cadell. I am sure you can manage the penalty. Discipline will not harm you in any way," Gaeden almost laughed and he felt no petty. Deserving the penance; he had created a small storm, rain and fire.

Gaeden left the chamber and walked into the hallway. He stared up and down, and up and down again. A few white clad students and different draped professors passed him; he did not recognize a single face. Though he had neither expected to, it was saddening to realize he was a stranger in his hometown.

Where to? Where can I find the item? Is it hidden or is it in the open? Gaeden pondered the questions and was unable to find an answer. Yet. I will try the library. And unless they can provide me with a satisfactionary answer, I must seek aid elsewhere. An item so I can communicate easier with the gods and goddesses. Then I can pray and Anasti, the goddess of darkness, must listen.

The young adhiel strolled down the hallway, asking a sincere-looking student for directions.

Hopefully he would received an answer and then head for the library quickly. It was not many marks until his next class and by then Gaeden had to find more information about the item.
Last edited by Guest on Sun Dec 26, 2004 11:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Torigm Khace

Post by Torigm Khace »

With a shrug and a look of annoyance, the dark adhiel didn't appear to like being caught off guard. "I've never been to the library. I only read the books I'm given and that's proved to be quite enough."

The young mage in training hurried off, leaving Gaeden to the silence and emptiness that seemed fairly common in the Mage's Guild.

Post by Guest »

The magling snorted and lifted his chin slightly, watching the rude adhiel canter down the hallway. Gaeden caressed the stave and turned around to stare in the opposite direction. It had been a most unpleasant encounter and he was left without any more information than earlier. There were still many more to ask and in due time he was sure he would receive some guidance or directions to the library.

Gaeden gathered his cloak closer around him and hurried down the hallway, leaving the place in a trail of dust. His feet taking him quickly past doors and passages, the magling wandered carelessly about. After a few burns he began to search for experienced professors or mages, by their looks.

This time the young elf attempted a different strategy.

"Excuse me. Professor Vebhruil sent me to the library to fetch him a few scripts waiting for him. I was in such a hurry and somewhere on my way I seem to have gone astray. If you could be so kind to direct me to the library?" Gaeden asked politely and with an already set smile on his lips. He repeated the enquiry apathetically to different people until he received a satisfying answer.
Last edited by Guest on Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Torigm Khace

Post by Torigm Khace »

In all his searching Gaeden was nearly ready to give up and move on to what he felt was his next class. He came upon a withered old adhiel draped in robes and with a plain black sash across his shoulders.

Excuse me. Professor Vebhruil sent me to the library to fetch him a few scripts waiting for him. I was in such a hurry and somewhere on my way I seem to have gone astray. If you could be so kind to direct me to the library?

With distant glazed eyes the adhiel looked at Gaeden scanning him carefully. With a disturbingly deep and cracked voice he pronounced loudly, "You lie." The echo left silence in its wake and to fill the silence a less booming voice followed, "you lie. even without the test, I know Vebhriul would led you there himself and set you down there if that's where he wanted you to be. You had best be careful boy, about lying in these halls and who you lie to. Power is gained through hard work and diligence. It's not handed to you on a silver platter. You have better walk carefully and mind your tongue lest you find what you are looking for and what you are not."

Before a word could exit Gaeden's mouth or a thought cross his mind, the old man simply was not there. No dramatic puff of smoke or odd sound, simply nothing.

Post by Guest »

These men and women here had a different way; hesitant to accept a simple request brought by a naive lie. Gaeden stared up and down the corridor in vain. The seer had vanished and was nowhere to be seen. Fumbling nervously and reddening, the magling began to pace back and forth. He carefully considered whether or not the man would reappear any time soon.

"Now, where did you go? You did not answer me though. I apologize. I regret my lie. People have been so hesitant and unwelcoming here, so I thought it better to create an assignment. Maybe then people here would accept me and help me. Now even you have deserted me, what am I to do?" His unfaltering gaze searching the canvas. The magling looked for a trail or any dust whirling about when stepped upon.

Gaeden stopped and stared, still searching for any sign, like the dust or a print on the floor. Hopefully the man had not yet left the hallway and he had heard the sincere apology. Rubbing his stave against his abdomen, Gaeden spun around quickly to look the other way.
Torigm Khace

Post by Torigm Khace »

Gaeden remains in silence, alone, the echo of his words filling the empty hall.

OOC: I am not granting you access to the library so regardless of any attempts you make at this time, you will not find it. If you have another goal to accomplish in this thread, PM me. Otherwise, this thread will close. Thanks.

JOE--

Post by Guest »

The magling ignored the none responsive encounter. He had still not completely succumbed and relied now rather on his magickal abilities than his physical senses. Casually templing his fingers, the young elf attempted to mask the entire hallway with the vivid and colorful weaves to seek the man on another plane. An interesting character had disappeared into thin air and Gaeden did not intend to lose him so quickly.

Gaeden stared hopelessly into whatever he saw, abandoning his physical being.

Following the futile try, the magling picked up the map he was given earlier at the reception. His quarters were clearly marked on it. A bed and maybe practice awaited him there and he began trotting in the acurate direction, using the map carefully.

He hummed a familiar and forgotten melody and creating strange texts in his head. His pace grew steady and he walked blindly with the map in his hands.

Post by Guest »

OOC: Bump.
Torigm Khace

Post by Torigm Khace »

Gaeden soon finds his quarters, the hard bed is neatly made, the desk barren, and the soft glow of the moss peculiar to Gulanadur lines the walls, illuminating the spartan chamber. The room appears to have long been forgotten and neglected, but the magicks that maintained the guild held little insects and rodents at bay.

The trip was fruitless in finding any other living soul or unliving soul. The focus shifts from map to corridor to templed fingers proved too much distraction for Gaeden to see well enough behind his own fingers. The room however proved to be ample in light energy to provide a single strand quickly and evidently visible to the searching and barely trained eye.

Post by Guest »

OOC: Good to have you back, Tor. :D

IC: Settling on the uncomfortable bed, the magling realized he had not eaten since his arrival in his hometown. It was rather important to eat to remain strong and focused, yet the hunger barely ever concerned him. Material needs were only for the weak minds and Gaeden did not want to relate to those in any way. 'I am strong and can endure much more,' the young elf thought and smithed his lust for food at the present moment.

"Shut up, you useless part. Burning physical desire. I will get you something soon, just not right now!" His belly roared ungrateful and a slight movement turned into a staggering pain within his abdomen. The young magling clutched his stomach and tried helplessly to rid himself of the feeling.

The strands of light energy floated around him in his room and Gaeden was happy just to watch them in the beginning.

Staring around in his new location, Gaeden noticed nothing out of the ordinary. An uninviting cell with bare walls and only an unused bed and a hard and uncompromising desk. It was not something he would enjoy in the long run, but at the present state he could not complain. His task demanded him to remain in the building and search for the undescribed item.

Finally the elvish student acted. Templing his fingers and focusing inwards, Gaeden cleared his mind to avoid any distraction, completing the first exercise slowly and carefully. The inside of his head was a barren wasteland, a hole into dim nothingness, where nothing existed or lived. Secondly, the young magling sought the crystal threads with a pair of long tentacles, molded on the mental and magickal plane. He reached for a single, lonely thread and spun the arms around it, holding it in his firm grasp.
Torigm Khace

Post by Torigm Khace »

As Gaeden focused on the magickal energies of the room, threads brightened and appeared to him. Most seemed to excite themselves by mingling with the phosphorescence of the multi-hued mosses, some seem to feed from the energies of the walls themselves and some out of nowhere.

The first and brightest thread, which Gaeden sought, obeyed his will and twirled around his arms. Other less inclined threads joined their sister thread and followed suit. To the magickally trained eye, the bracers of magickal light could be easily seen, and to the untrained eyes, a pale white elf marveled at his bare arms.

Post by Guest »

IC: A tingling sensation erupted in his arm, entwined with a lively and bright magickal thread. Burning like wildfire without the pain, it began in his fingers and continued up his upper arm and shoulder. The magling barely noticed the uncontrollable feeling; his physical embodiment was a different part and unreachable. It was like he had released himself from the physical plane and now drifted on another more vivid and important level.

The thread moved consciensly and smaller followed. Gaeden opened himself to the magick and the colorful fibers, leaving it to flow through his mental being. He was completely focused and the dim tundra in his mind ran on to the horizon. Nothing lived there and nothing could penetrate his well-guarded defensive borders.

What to do next? What to perform with these mighty snakes around my arm? Gaeden pondered the questions. Time slowed impossibly and what seemed like candlemarks really were only flickers.

Caressing the strange cord with his free arm, the student began to feed it carefully with smaller shreds. A single tendril inserted into the larger thread, which was still carefully spun around his arm, then another. Three fibers into the growing serpent, and Gaeden slowly and delicately began molded the thing into a ball. A bright and large ball. At the same time, he tried to create a bridge between the magickal level and physical plane to make the globe appear in the room on the physical level, visible not only to mages but to common people. Finally when it formed a perfect sphere, the magling hurled it towards the wall in the opposite part of his quarters, forcing it forward with a mental breath and a push.

OOC: I hope I am not totally overdoing his capabilities... :wink: Hope you like the post anyway though!
Torigm Khace

Post by Torigm Khace »

It was like moving through the thickest bog with only his arms to propel him whilst wearing thick robes festooned with water weights. Though through exhaustion and force of will, Gaeden succeeded in creating a sphere of light by weaving the various threads of the room. The slick and warm feeling of playing with the magickal energies tingled up his weary arms.

The breath to move the tiny ball however proved to be a bit much and while the ball began to move, ti rapidly lost size and brilliance, blinking out of existence and the appearance of the magickal threads all around him blinked out of existence. The threads provided by the helpful spells of the guild remained but faint. The efforts to gathering great magick proved to be great for the fledgling mage. Sweat lined his pale forehead but exhilaration flowed through his heavy limbs.

The efforts to do such magick seemed more strenuous than before. The classroom certainly seemed to ease the stress of handling the threads, but the experience outside of the classroom was more satisfying.

Post by Guest »

IC: His strength had been quickly drained and the magling was exhausted mentally and physically. He leaned backwards onto the uncomfortable bed, resting his sore visceral being against the biting facade. Sweat streamed down his embodiment and his clothes were soaked. Steam and damp rose and created a humid environment in the quarters. The enervated student was clearly weakened due to his tiresome efforts.

'I almost made it. It was a satisfying moment. But the questions remains still; did I create these strands of energy by myself or did the odd conditions here help me?' Gaeden settled back and pondered these investigations. He opted for the latter and his cheerfulness and positivism sank moderately.

Gaeden seated himself in the lotus-position on his bed. It was an exercise his former mentor had taught him; although he had never really comprehended the operation. It was supposed to make him regain his former strength and reach a different and higher level of understanding.

The magling began his new journey into still unconquered territory.

He closed his eyes slowly, leaving the colorful and vivid quarter undisturbed. Gaeden repeated his thoughts in a methodic system. Unconsciensly, different pictures and memories surfaced and then left another to dominate his mind. An early and gay image lingered, his father, then another, his earliest teacher hitting him, then another, travelling across a distant and stormy sea he was slung across the side, spitting and yelping, then another, a powerful woman floating towards him with outstretched snakes replacing her arms, her black dress set with gleaming red stones and nightly, streaming hair falling down her back. These and many more pictures appeared within his mind. Suspected and unsuspected, known and unknown, images spontaneously flashed. The devoted student did not concentrate, he never had during the practice.

Gaeden drifted on clouds and soothing air. His physical being was only a dead and unmoving corpse; the soul had left it with the beginning. Racing onwards, figures flared, slow and quick. Sounds reverberated from his mouth, a low hum with the same ambiguous word, but without meaning. Relaxing even more, his nerves were calmed by the relaxation response, both harmonizing and provoking at the same time. None of the earthly senses penetrated his prolonged stay on the other level. Smell, taste, feel and the ability to see and hear were gone during his meditation.

Remaining seated and focused for thirty burns, Gaeden reappeared in his earthly character and opened his eyes to the bright cell.

OOC: I inserted the woman mainly in the picture of Anasati. It is only Gaeden's version, although he hasn't realized it yet. His subconscions has created the image. I hope it's okay and it really has nothing to do with the goddess herself. And yes, he is trying to meditate, then he will dine and go to class, if that's okay?
Torigm Khace

Post by Torigm Khace »

While inwardly your emotional levels remain low you struggle to keep your thoughts focused on the meditation. The outward world beckons, the hunger for power and the promises that await keep your consciousness on the surface. It is however relaxing, refreshing, to sit and do nothing especially after the exertion of working intently on the magickal energies around you.

OOC: If nothing else in this thread then I'll close it.

Post by Guest »

IC: Welcomed back onto the physical plane, Gaeden was still seated on the bed. His arms and legs were relaxed and numb and stroking them he felt the skin like he never had. A tense response raced up his arms and legs, reaching his brain and creating a rousing ambience. He jumped back and hit his rear against the hard and biting facade. It was comforting to become aware of the earthly things and objects in the chamber.

Rubbing his hands on the uneven material, his senses returned slowly to him. Pale aurora shone and glimmered in the cell, the wavy wall felt alive under his fingers and the usual noises of a living quarter hummed in his ears.

A blessed sigh slipped away from the magling and the restoration of some health and strength aided Gaeden upon leaving the lonely chamber.

"I feel much better. Maybe I should practice these sleepless exercises more often, but alas, if I wish to eat I must quickly find the cantina and buy a meal to satisfy my grumbling stomach," Gaeden whispered to himself, only audible to himself and the empty cell. The magling followed the map to the dining hall and bought a decent meal. Seating himself at an unoccupied table, he withdrew from the other students in the Magick Guild. To Gaeden they were merely tools to be used in his unavoidable rise to power and force, both magick and political and religious.

After the healthy meal, Gaeden began to wander in the direction of his class. His slow walk carried him within burns to his intended location.

OOC: I hope you don't mind me commenting the final burns before the second session. If there is anything at all you want me to edit, please feel free to notify me.
Torigm Khace

Post by Torigm Khace »

OOC: Looks good. If this thread is done, I'll go ahead and close it out.

JOE--

Post by Guest »

OOC: Yup. Close is good. May I begin another thread for the 19th? I don't really want to toss even more work your way, but maybe when you get a helping hand in Gul. I could possibly have breakfast in the Spire Bridge Inn and be modded by a few supporters?! :D

Return to “Gulanadur Archive”