Meeting with Captain Blye - Ulder (Samheen 18th LTT/EET)

Moderator: Mods

Twilight
Retired staff

Meeting with Captain Blye - Ulder (Samheen 18th LTT/EET)

Post by Twilight »

Ulder received more than the usual courteous nods, since his victory in the meleé. Now it seemed that everyone in the Guard knew him and looked upon him with new respect, and perhaps a little awe from some of the less experienced members.

The office door stood ajar, as if waiting for someone to enter. Captain Blye sat shuffling papers on his desk, his expression suggesting that they smelled like three-day old fish, although no such odour permeated the office. Still, the papers seemed to have his complete concentration.
A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

(avatar by Talon Yoseijo)
Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

Ulder walked in off the street and walked towards the Captain's office. Since receiving his note, he basically made a beeline straight to headquarters. His record with Captain Blye was not on the best terms since he had overstepped his bounds at the engagement dinner, and he did not want to keep the man waiting too long.

He responded to each of the nods in turn. It was a strange feeling to be under a new level of scrutiny from his peers in this way. It seemed he had a much higher profile now and he wanted to share that with his brothers in arms, and he tried hard not to alienate anyone along the way. If he were to have his own command one day, he needed men and women that would follow him for his abilities and fairness, and because they trusted him, not out of some strange new sense of celebrity.

Ulder knocked politely, waiting for the Captain to acknowledge him and invite him in.
Twilight
Retired staff

Post by Twilight »

“Ah, Lieutenant, come in,” the Captain muttered as he looked up from his desk. Then, with a look akin to relief, he pushed the various documents off toward a corner of his desk. “Close that door would you?” he added in a more attentive and relatively pleasant tone, waving in the general direction of a spare chair.

“I have something here for you,” the older man said, reaching for a scroll on another corner of his desk. Instead of handing it over to Ulder though, Captain Blye stood up and opened the scroll.

Reading in his authoritative tone, he declared, “By order of Anochrim, Caesar of the Seven Isles, you,” he intoned, making brief eye contact to ensure that Ulder knew that he was referring to Ulder and not himself, “are hereby granted the commission of Captain of the illustrious Purple Guard in the service of the Caesar and the Realm!”

He then re-rolled the scroll and passed it over to Ulder, grinning rather broadly, as if he had just told an excellent joke.

“I’ll just let you read the rest at your leisure. Congratulations, Captain Ulder,” he said, extending his hand to his fellow Captain.

Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

Ulder entered and closed the door quietly behind him. At Captain Blye's suggestion, he sat in the indicated chair and waited as the Captain explained why he was there. As the Captain stood and read the scroll, for a brief flicker, Ulder shook his head in disbelief. It took a moment for the implications of that scroll to sink in.

Captain. Me? Really?

He quickly stood, nearly knocking over his chair as he realized that his fellow officer stood with an extended hand.

"Th-Thank you sir. This is most unexpected. I'm not sure what to say. Thank you very much."

He shook Blye's hand and grinned like a fool.

"Thank you." He repeated, still somewhat in shock.

Swallowing heavily and sitting back down, he did his best to try and regain his composure. He roughly scrubbed a hand through his hair and began to ponder the future.

"Does it say where or what I'm to be doing?" He asked, halfway unsure between reading the scroll for himself and letting Captain Blye answer.
Twilight
Retired staff

Post by Twilight »

Blye chuckled at the younger man’s surprise.

“Well earned, Ulder, well earned,” he replied, still chuckling.

Then his face returned to its more accustomed degree of sobriety, and he steepled the index fingers of either hand while enmeshing the others, resting his elbows on his desk. He sat for a moment in this thoughtful pose before he ventured to answer Ulder’s enquiry.

“Due to recent… unfortunate events,” he began, certain that Ulder would follow his meaning without further clarification, “several of our number have been removed from duty, while others have… disappeared. As a result, it was thought best to restructure somewhat,” he said, still being opaquely vague.

“As a result, I will be assuming responsibility for the Purple Guard in the city, while you will have command of those in the Palace,” the Captain declared, as if that made clear everything that he had said before this.

“You will be responsible for Palace security and the physical welfare of the Caesar and all who reside within the Palace walls. The guardsmen assigned to the palace are under your sole command. You answer to the Caesar or his official designate.”

“We’ll coordinate our efforts, of course,” Blye added, matter-of-factly. “I’m here for advice too, if you need me, Ulder, but I expect you’ll manage just fine on your own.” It was a compliment; a declaration of the man’s confidence in Ulder. Still, he wanted the new Captain to know that he was not alone, for command could be a very lonely place indeed.

Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

Ulder listened intently, following the Captain's meaning for the most part. He understood the way things were to certain extent, and briefly wondered what else Captain Blye knew, but was not saying.

He knew all would be revealed in a short time, so he sat back and pondered over Blye's information and advice. Now was as good a time as any to share his recent experience with his fellow Captain.

"I hope you will be as understanding when I constantly seek you out for information and advice."

"Now that I have you here and we have a few moments, I'd like to share something with you that happened last night. I was getting cleaned up after the tourney and the Master of Protocol came knocking. To summarize, he said he had a contact that gave him information and proof that Count Jacob de Bessnie was a member of cult called the Coven. He had a hand written note, which I have in my possession that contained a riddle that hinted at such.”

“We went to the de Bessnie Estate, and Lord Azarin was insistent on gaining entry and searching the premises, despite the fact that the Count is out of town and none of his staff was present except a young man, probably a page of some sort. I told him that we could return later when the man’s staff was present, but he was adamant about getting inside. He even went as far as to swear he would bear the responsibility for such actions. This was a sworn promise delivered to me and the half dozen men I had assembled.”

“We searched until an amulet in the shape of a crescent moon was found, right as we had given up and were leaving. Lord Azarin had been standing right at a window looking outside, and when he moved away, the amulet was then suddenly, and a little too conveniently found. When I retrieved the amulet from the guard who found it, it was warm, as if it had been in a palm or a pocket, not sitting hidden under the vase of flowers where it was discovered. I was immediately suspicious as I’m sure the Count’s staff cleans his house regularly and would have discovered it while dusting in his absence. Why would anyone hide something so incriminating for any member of his staff to find? He’s a wealthy and powerful man. If he were a member of the Coven, he could do a much better job of hiding such things. A lock box, a hidden room, hell he could buy a whole other house without a staff to hide things in.”

“It’s my suspicion that for his own purposes that Andolin planted the amulet in an attempt to neutralize or incriminate Count de Bessnie. For what reason I still have yet to discover, but I would like to begin an investigation into his dealings, especially with the Count to uncover the truth. Lord Azarin is in very close proximity to the Caesar and I don’t want to take any chances that he’s up to no good.”

"In your command of the Palace, did you have anything that raised your suspicions about Lord Azarin or anyone else?"
Twilight
Retired staff

Post by Twilight »

Blye took a deep breath. There had been things that caused him to feel suspicion for most of the court at one time or another. It was the nature of politics, to his mind.

He drew in a deep breath, looking genuinely concerned, and then answered slowly, carefully choosing his words as he said, “There has never been anything concrete to show criminal behaviour by Lord Azarin, to my knowledge.”

“The court is full of intrigue, and, in my experience, the higher they get, the better they are at covering their tracks,” he explained philosophically. “But they don’t get there by behaving themselves and playing it straight, if you take my meaning,” he added with a meaningful tilt of his head. It was not exactly a clear answer, but it was the best that Blye was apparently willing to make.

“So, Captain,” he said, rising from his desk and effectively changing the subject. “Along with the new rank and responsibilities, come new quarters and an office.” Then with a laugh, he clapped Ulder on the shoulder. “Yes, you too will have to do paperwork!”

Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

Ulder nodded and took stock of the Captain's answer.

"I hear and understand your meaning sir. My own experience with the Master of Protocol is perhaps an unusual event at worst and a roadmap to follow at best. I will conduct my investigations and keep you posted.

Ulder rose politely with Blye.

"As yes, I was actually expecting something of that. I'd like to move my things over from the barracks and get settled in quickly. I'd like for there to be as little as an interruption as possible. I've found in the past that if I get to work quickly, I learn much faster and that will allow me to get up to speed faster, which will have obvious benefits."

"Will you be showing me my new spaces or do I need to grab some help?"
Twilight
Retired staff

Post by Twilight »

“There’s a maid named Kylannia,” Blye replied, coming out from behind the desk to walk out of the office with Ulder. “She’s assigned to see to your quarters, so she’ll be waiting for a summons. In the mean time, I’ll show you to your new office,” he explained.

Suddenly Blye paused in his progress and said, “About your previous orders. You’ll find out soon enough from the documents on your desk, but I might as well tell you what I know. Captain Xyale has been sent to head an expanded mission to Kislovan. Joint mission with the Scouts Guild. Seems there are big things going on in the world,” he concluded with a frown of concern.

As Blye opened the office door to lead Ulder out into the corridor, he was met by a lovely woman, who was just about to knock. She was about five feet tall and very slim, with the delicate features of an Adhiel. Her hair was long and curly and her eyes the shape of almonds, yet both were of deep brown, showing her mixed parentage. She instantly dipped a polite curtsy to the Captain.

“Ah, here she is now,” the Captain declared.

Then, turning back to Ulder, “If you’re ready, I’ll show you to your office.”

Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

As they began to walk out of Blye's office, Ulder halted abruptly, nearly bumping into the aforementioned Kylannia. He sketched a quick bow and introduced himself.

"Greetings lady. I am Ulder. I understand that you'll be helping me with my quarters. I just have a few things to bring over from the barracks, a foot locker and some other small things. We can go over that later and I would very much like a chance to speak with you for a few burns. Perhaps we can discuss it sometime today or tomorrow. Thank you. I look forward to meeting with you later."

Ulder's simple upbringing did not allow him to think that she was some type of servant. He was just too pragmatic to think he deserved such attention, so he simply viewed the lady as a co-worker and wanted a chance to sit and speak with her to get to know her better.

Moving on with Blye, he nodded his readiness and then expressed his reaction to the Captain's news about Xyale.

"Captain Xyale is one of the finest men I have ever met. I'm sure there will be a multitude of benefits and payoffs from his efforts there. If there is any information that you can share regarding his progress from time to time, I would love to hear about it."

"It seems there is much to be concerned about these days in every corner of the world. Although I would prefer fight the darkness face to face, it will be a difficult challenge to fight the unseen here at home. These people and this city have had some difficult challenges, and deserve some peace."

As they walked, Ulder kept a mental note of his surroundings, making sure he knew where he was. It wouldn't do for him to lose his way. The men and women that would be serving with him would be evaluating him, and he wanted to be sure he was putting his best foot forward. Expectations of him would surely rise from his showing in the tourney, and he was aware that many different eyes would be watching.

"I don't think I expected all of this. An office and such. I am sworn to protect and defend, I guess I only had imagined doing so with a blade only. Fighting with a quill and ink will take some getting used to."
Twilight
Retired staff

Post by Twilight »

((OOC: leaving details about the exact location of your office and quarters a bit sketchy as they’re in development. ;) ))

“Agreed,” replied Blye regarding word about Xyale. “So long as you’ll do the same for me,” he added with a wink. His expression returned to its customary seriousness at Ulder’s mention of darkness though, and he nodded his agreement with his fellow Captain’s assessment.

They entered the Palace proper but within a close distance to the barracks, as Ulder commented on his surprise at his sudden rise. This brought a quiet chuckle from Blye.

“That’s part of what makes you a good choice,” he remarked. “The ones who want it are generally only after the power of command.” Blye did not say it, but his tone suggested that this had some bearing on the recent problems within the Purple Guard. Interestingly, no-one yet had mentioned what had become of Ulder’s predecessor.

As they passes a nondescript door, Blye gestured to it, “That’s the door to your quarters. This,” he added, gesturing just a little further down the hallway, “Is your office.” He pulled a key from a pocket in his uniform jacket and handed it to Ulder with a grin. “You should do the honours.”

Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

Ulder appreciated the man's mirth and wisdom in equal measures. On one hand, Blye seemed genuinely pleased to help Ulder and was able to freely make light of the younger man's newness to the whole situation.

Yet on the other hand, he took his work and his job seriously and would prove to be an invaluable resource for Ulder to have. Blye was obviously very knowledgeable about the current state of affairs within the city, and had a level of determination and grit in getting the job done.

Ulder was very pleased and comfortable with the veteran Captain, despite the fact that he came here today with the feeling that Blye cared little for him. It seemed that Ulder's perception had been wrong. Either that or Blye was a master at hiding it, and the new Captain did not get that impression at all.

Ulder was certain he could hear in Blye's words and tone that he would hear much, much more of the exploits and actions of his predecessors, and the disappearance of several guardsmen that the Captain had mentioned earlier. Still, it couldn't hurt to ask at this juncture.

"Is that what caused some of the shifting of command and the missing men you mentioned? A grab for power within the Guard?"

When they reached the door to his new office and the Captain held out the key to his office, Ulder took a moment to silently whisper a slight prayer to the Gods.

"Gods above and beyond, please help me to serve the people within these walls with honor, and to defend them with valor."

He then took the key and unlocked the door, anxious to see what lay beyond...
Twilight
Retired staff

Post by Twilight »

Blye nodded at Ulder’s astute question, and replied solemnly, “You’ll do well, Ulder. You watch and you think, and, as it turns out,” he chuckled, “you have good instincts.”

“Yes, it was an attempted power grab,” he acknowledged grimly. ”A disgrace to all we stand for.” The man’s voice was practically a hiss at that last, and the thought of such behaviour by Guardsmen clearly disgusted him.

The office was of about the same size as Captain Blye’s and was similarly sparsely furnished, with little more than a desk and chair, a small set of shelves, a table and pair of chairs, and an oaken cabinet. The desk sat in the centre of the room, facing the door, with the table and chairs to the left of the door, allowing the chairs to be used at the table or for visitors to sit before the desk. Laid out on the table were various maps of the Citadel, including the surrounding waters, the city, and various tactical overlays. Upon the left wall, beyond the desk, hung a map of the Palace proper, and tacked in the bottom corner were various coloured pins. The only window in the room looked out over the entry hall beneath it, a place to keep a casual eye on the comings and goings of the palace. This was flanked on either side by the set of shelves and the oaken cabinet.

Any trace of the office’s previous occupant had been removed. The office was devoid of personal touches; those Ulder could add or not, as he chose. In the centre of the desk sat several sealed parchments, waiting for the new Captain’s attention. These were the only indications that the office had a new inhabitant.

Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

As Ulder walked in and surveyed the room, he replied to the other officer's comments, and echoed the man's disgust with his own.

"There have been some people that I have been dealing with who seem to think that everyone in a purple uniform agreed with and were happy to carry out such misguided orders. It's taken quite a bit of convincing that not all of us were complicit with that way of thinking. I fear that the Guard's reputation has been tarnished with many of this city's citizens, and we have a tough road ahead to restore it."

He sat down at his desk and looked over the envelopes as well as the maps and other information presented before him. With a casual gesture he indicated the entire room as he returned his gaze to Blye.

"This is quite impressive and perfectly suited for me. My thanks to you for taking the time out to show me."
Twilight
Retired staff

Post by Twilight »

Blye grimly nodded his agreement with Ulder’s assessment of the Guard’s standing in the community, and then more cheerfully his acceptance of Ulder’s thanks.

“Anytime,” he replied, and then handed the new Captain another key, similar to the first. “This is for your quarters, next door. Kylannia will be along in a few burns to show you around and help you get settled. She has a matching set, if you’re ever in need.” His tone and wry smile suggested that the Captain’s experience was that this could come in handy.

With a sigh of sympathy for the stack of waiting mail on Ulder’s desk, Blye said, “I’ll just let you get started on that.” As he moved to the door, he added, with a smile, “Any questions and you know where to find me. And once again, congratulations, Captain.” With that, the man closed the door behind him, leaving Ulder alone in his new office.

Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

Ulder took the other key and placed it on the desk next to the one that unlocked the office door.

"I'm sure that it will be wise for Kylannia to have a set. Until I get into a routine, I'll have to concentrate on knowing where these are all the time."

Ulder took a look down at the stack of envelopes and other papers that needed his attention. he scratched the side of his nose momentarily before picking up the first as Captain Blye began to leave.

"Thanks again." He replied.

He tapped the envelope on the desk a few times, lost in thought. He stood and went over to the window, staring out for a burn or two.

Look at me. He thought. Silently speaking to a presence now no longer alive, yet he still felt all the same. Would you ever have believed it? Help me. Help me serve these people well.

He sighed heavily and sat back down at the desk. He tore into the paperwork at that point, intent on reading every last scrap, and began to organize the piles according to the priority he felt they should be handled in...
Twilight
Retired staff

Post by Twilight »

The letter on the top of the stack bore the seal of Captain Xyale.

From his office window, Ulder could see all who came and went from Palace. Just now, the Captain saw three well-dressed patricians descending the steps leading out from the entry into the Great Hall. They seemed to be in animated discussion about something, with the central gentleman waving a scroll about as he spoke. There was also a couple just arriving by carriage; a patrician lady and a gentleman who seemed to be familiar to Ulder. The man wore a bold and striking combination of purples and blues, and his clothing was of excellent quality. Still, when he turned to face the Palace, his features recalled thoughts of the Tourney to Ulder’s mind.

Back at his desk, Ulder broke the seal on Xyale’s letter.

Samheen 18th, 1224

Dear Captain,

Congratulations! Well-deserved it is too. Your predecessor managed to cover much of what was going on within the Palace and who he was working for before his arrest, so you have a challenge on your hands. I know you can handle it though.

There is a small group who pretty much control what happens in Citadel politics, despite our Caesar. I suspect that they are not entirely in agreement on things, and certain individuals act for their own interests. I also think that, with Lady Sosa away, someone (or maybe more than one) is trying to gain control for themselves. It is always that way with politics, I know, but with what went on recently in our own ranks, it has me thinking.

Keep an eye on things with the Panlings and the Red Rose Guild. Not because I think they are a problem, but because I think someone is using them as a distraction, an excuse.

Manyana, the Scout Guildmaster, is trustworthy, as long as you remember that her first loyalty is to the Caesar and she always acts accordingly. That means that she will keep things from you that she thinks that you do not need to know, and she will sharing things with the Caesar, if she thinks that he does. Still, her integrity is above question.

Tabeann, the Mistress of the Archives and Scriveners, is a valuable resource and a brilliant mind, but she is a scholar, so keep that in mind when dealing with her.

I know I do not have to warn you about the patricians who will try to curry your favour. They are a slimy lot, on the whole, but most are relatively harmless.

You will have heard, I am sure, that I am off to Kislovan in your stead. We leave on the morrow, but I will not see you before then. There are rumours of large Adhiel populations just disappearing, and there is trouble brewing in the west. I do not know what this means for the Citadel yet, but I will get word to you as I am able.

I wish I had more to tell you, but I know that you will do well with your new responsibilities. I will send over that last minute paperwork on the morrow. In the mean while, enjoy your new quarters, Captain.

Sincere regards,
Xyale

The other correspondence bore the seals of various patrician families and residents of the Palace, as well as a couple of the foreign embassies that resided within the Palace grounds. It seemed that word had spread very quickly that a new Captain was about to take office, and the favour-garnering that Xyale wrote of had already begun.

More interesting perhaps was a letter bearing the seal of Lady Aesa, in which she expressed her sincere congratulations at Ulder’s promotion and reiterated her respect for his swordsmanship. The letter was to advise Ulder that she had chosen a sparring partner and that the man should now be considered staff with access to the training grounds, weapons’ room, and royal residential section of the Palace. Her choice was Farathorn, whom she trusted would meet with the Captain’s approbation.

Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

Ulder looked through the correspondence thoroughly, coming back to Xyale's letter several times.

He organized the letters of congratulations from the various patricians into a stack so that he might reply at his leisure. For the Lady Aesa's letter, he wrote out a formal reply stating Farathorn would indeed be granted access to the places she had mentioned, and his compliments on her choice of training partners. He congratulated again her on her betrothal and made sure to mention that were she ever to need anything, that she could call upon him for any service he could render.

After that, he wrote out two versions of a standing order; one to go out to all of the palace security staff to notify them of Farathorn's new status, and the other as a copy for Captain Blye. He then sealed all of the papers with wax after folding them neatly. Lacking a seal of his own at this point, he simply left the wax bare, and stood to look out the window once more.

He wanted to see if the familiar man in purple and blue was still within the hall. He was fairly certain this was one of the men he had defeated in the tourney, and he wanted to check on his health and well being since then. If this were the same man, it was good to see him up and around as the new Captain had not had a chance yet to inquire as to the man's health yet.

After a quick scan of the hall, he snatched up his keys and his two copies of his orders. He locked the door and pocketed the keys before striding down to the entry hall to both have his orders distributed and to find the well dressed man.
Twilight
Retired staff

Post by Twilight »

The ceiling of the Great Hall was covered with murals by famous artists of the Citadel and the walls were completely hidden behind huge tapestries depicting scenes from the Great Battle and statues of the Empire's heroes. In the center of the room stood a massive oaken dining table, with enough chairs to sit two hundred diners.

Ulder’s arrival in the Great Hall was met with an instant snap to attention from the eight Guards who were spaced about the room, at the opening to each of four hallways and two each at the double doors of the Entry and Palace Gardens. The Hall was occupied by several servants working or passing through to other areas of the Palace, visitors admiring the numerous works of art, and petitioners seeking an audience with the Caesar. The well dressed man was nowhere to be seen.

“Sir!” said the Guard nearest to Ulder in a quiet and respectful tone. “Congratulations, Captain!” he offered sincerely, while maintaining his professional, detached expression.

Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

The new Captain looked around somewhat sheepishly at the other guards as they came to attention. He was still getting used to such a reaction to his presence. He quickly snapped off a return salute and tried to sound official and important as he replied.

"As you were."

As the guardsmen expressed his congratulations, Ulder tried hard to hide a smile, but failed in the end as he turned to face him.

"Thank you very much. A few burns ago, there was a man and a woman that entered the hall. They just arrived by carriage. The man was wearing purple and blue, well dressed. I need to know which way they went."
Twilight
Retired staff

Post by Twilight »

The man thought for a flicker and then replied, “Purple and blue. Oh, yes, Lady Hamilton and her escort.” The lady was well known at the Palace as a highly respected and formidable patrician widow, in social, business and political circles. “They headed to the Residential Wing, Sir, I believe. Dalt will know where they were going,” he added, gesturing to the Guard at the top of the hallway further along the same wall to their right, which lead to the Residential Wing.

Dalt, a tall, light brown-haired Achadhiel, seeing this gesture out of the corner of his eye, turned to offer Ulder his attention.

“Sir, can I be of assistance?” he offered, stepping a little nearer to Ulder, while maintaining a watch over his post. Fortunately, traffic in the Great Hall was now largely limited to palace servants.

Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

Ulder walked over to Dalt quickly, trying to catch up with the pair. There was a bit of frustration inside him, and he was angry at himself for not acting quicker.

Damn. I should have come down immediately rather than write out the orders. Perhaps I can still catch up.

"Dalt. I need two things really. I need to find out where the Lady Hamilton and her escort have gone to."

He then held the up the folded and sealed orders. One by one, he ticked off the needs of each sheet of parchment.

"Then I need to distribute these orders among the entire palace security detachment, and this is a copy for Captain Blye as well. And this is a reply to the Lady Aesa regarding these orders. Can I trust that you will deliver both the orders and the reply to Lady Aesa for me?
Twilight
Retired staff

Post by Twilight »

“Yes, Sir!” Dalt responded instantly. “Lady Hamilton and her escort have an appointment with the Caesar and Lady Aesa in his private apartments.”

Dalt accepted the parchments, with a salute, and replied, “Right away, Sir. I’ll see to it all immediately.” His demeanour suggested that he was proud to be singled out by the new Captain, as well as relieved to have a ready answer for Ulder’s enquiry.

The Guardsman signalled for relief at his post, and, within a burn, another Guardsman promptly stepped up to replace him. Then, checking to be certain that he was dismissed, Dalt headed off to carry out Ulder’s orders.

Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

"Thank you Dalt. Carry on."

Ulder shook his head at his own hesitation and ground his teeth as he decided what to do. He might still be able to catch them before they entered with Caesar. He swiftly decided that at the very least he would try.

No harm in that. He thought.

So he quickly turned on his heel and walked at a quickened pace with long strides to try and catch them. If he could not, he would not disturb their audience, for what they discussed was likely none of his business. Besides, he had new quarters to settle into and he had not even seen those yet.

He cloak billowing out behind him, he walked purposefully to catch them.
Twilight
Retired staff

Post by Twilight »

It was a fair walk up to Anochrim’s apartments, as he occupied a floor above the other residences in the palace. About half way along the wide corridor of the residential wing was the broad, sweeping stair case that led to the floors above. This too was guarded to ensure that only those with authority had access to more prestigious apartments, especially that of the Caesar. The guards snapped to attention and nodded as Ulder passed them on his assent to the top of the residential wing.

As Ulder approached the doors into Anochrim’s private chambers, he could see that only the two guards that flanked the doors remained outside. He had indeed missed Lady Hamilton and Adrian, who were likely already within.

The two guards, who had been standing at ease, snapped to attention at the Captain’s approach. Unlike the previous pair, they both wore pensive expressions and appeared to be glancing at him from the corner of their eyes.

Return to “The Citadel proper Archive”