The Gilded Gates ~ entrance thread

Moderator: Mods

Syrawenn
Baroness of Creiddyladd

The Gilded Gates ~ entrance thread

Post by Syrawenn »

The Gilded Gates

The city gates lack any sort of truly fortified strength. Made up of ornately sculpted metal and climbing, flowery vines, they are clearly made more for ornament than for true protection. The safety of the city is, instead, left in the hands of the armored guards that patrol its streets, and stand at its gates. Five stand outside the quiet gates, no matter what time of day. They are always and uniformly dressed in blindingly polished metal armor bearing Roque's crest. They are silent as they watch visitors pass them by.

Just within the gates, protected from sun and rain by a matching overhang, sit two men at an obviously repaired wooden desk. From the looks of it this stury and expensive wood has seen quite some action. Quills and sheets of parchment sit in front of them. Another guard stands beside them, quietly watching any newcomers who approach. A sign above the desk - lettered in gold calligraphy - reads "Information" in Elvish, with its Common Tongue translation beneath it in smaller, less ornate script
Last edited by Syrawenn on Sat Jan 08, 2005 12:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[size=75]Gavin:She's the emerald eyed agent of chaos
Vanir:She's cute, it's her personality that gets in the way
Ulder:Syra is a great shredder of paralysis through analysis
Elvin:We call it the Law of Improbable Syrabilities

Post by Guest »

Gerrard, wearing his best clothing, approached the gate self assured. Walking up to one of the guards standing at attention, he looked them up and down and smirked once before he walked past. The way he was walking and the clothing really did good to make him look like a nobleman, now he'd only have to make it work past the gates.

As he walked past, he saw the desk and rolled his eyes once. Ten feet before the desk he started loud enough for the clerk to hear him. "Welcome... yes, that's the way to greet your guests who seek a place to stay. Especially, when those guests have business to condone. Pah! And yet, no city I've lived, worked or just passed has ever learned not to start with formalities." he said. Upon arrival, he raised his hand to the clerk and says "No, no. Don't ask. I'm here for business, my name is Gerrard Mackaree of the Citadelese Mackaree. And yes, that's written C-K and double E. If you want me to sign anything, you can find me in the nearest inn or tavern until I have found something more suitable to dwell in. I bid you adieu, my dear man.".

With that, he didn't wait for the clerk to answer, but instead walked on, into the city.
Last edited by Guest on Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mia

The Adventure Begins

Post by Mia »

Tugging the cloak further around her slight frame as if to ward away the unknown Mia a sense of awe descended upon Mia as she drew closer to the gates of the majestic city. The sight that greeted her eyes was far from anything she had been expecting. The architecture was unlike anything she had seen before, the marriage of nature and the craft of man (or whomever had sculpted the ornate metal frame) suddenly filled her with a rekindled sense of excitement. The place did not look nearly as bleak as she had led herself it would. Indeed, the city of Roque d’Ancourt lived up to the prettiness of its name. That was something she had not been expecting at all.

The guards, handsomely polished it their gleaming breast plates, were another matter entirely. If for any reason they took against her – not that she knew of any reason they would but she had heard some strange tales of city folks – her strength and slight strength would be no match for them at all.

Having come so far the young woman knew there was nothing left but to finish the first leg of her journey. Tilting her chin up, hoping it gave the impression of confidence when all she felt was uncertainty, Mia took the final few steps that would bring her level with the gate.

Not knowing if she was allowed to simply walk into the city she slowed her step then, lingering long enough to either be detained by the guard standing there or to walk through the gate and past him with some sense of purpose if he had no intention of stopping her. It simply would not do to give all the appearance of a country bumpkin the very first time you walked into a city.
Syrawenn
Baroness of Creiddyladd

Post by Syrawenn »

ooc
My apologies for the wait :) Doric is occupied at the moment, so I'll help you both through.

ic
Samheen 18th, tradetide

Right in front of Mia a gentleman of sorts tried his hand at simply walking past the guards without further adue. It was a bit of a silly sight when two guards stepped up in front of him before he could do anything of the sort.

An amused voice sounded behind Gerrard: "Well now, Gerrard Mackaree with c-k and double e...I certainly hope for your sake that your business will be more prosperous than your manners, for they are lacking sorely!"

The sturdy guard got up from behind the desk and had a good look at the new arrival. "But since I am in an extremely good mood I will still give you a choice: either you come back here, behave as one would when entering the city with good intentions and sign the papers as everyone does, or we will show you our special route into town...straight into the gaols!"

As friendly as the man had started, there was nothing amiable about the squinting eyes under those furry eyebrows.

Noticing Mia the guard managed a smile. "Ah, no worries, miss. We get people like that from time to time. Your name and reason for staying please? I will let that hot head cool down a bit while we get you into the city the proper way. It will be important to have your admission papers ready when asked for: the streets are not safe for a lady alone."

He grabbed a new sheet of paper, ready to note down Mia's answers, ignoring Gerrard who wasn't going to go anywhere with the two guards flanking him.

Behind the girl people were whispering: "Such nerve! In times like these! They should lock him up and let us, decent citizens, go in instead. It's people like him that don't care about the city! He'd better bring some money in or he'll find himself out on the streets before he can spell his name again!"

The other older lady nodded vehemently. "I agree, dear. It's really a shame...the people they allow these days...and with supplies low too! Why, I had to go to my cousin to get these eggs!"

"Eggs? You got eggs?" The first woman's eyebrows shot into the air. "Oh darling Mizzie, you will let me have one, won't you?"

Mizzie looked around with a startled look, wondering how many others had heard. "Hush! I don't want to be beaten up for these! We'll discuss this when we get home! Didn't you have that goat somewhere? Maybe we can have a little trade?"

The conversation continued in such a low voice that it was impossible to make out the rest.
[size=75]Gavin:She's the emerald eyed agent of chaos
Vanir:She's cute, it's her personality that gets in the way
Ulder:Syra is a great shredder of paralysis through analysis
Elvin:We call it the Law of Improbable Syrabilities

Post by Guest »

Gerrard sighed heavily and turned around to face the clerk. "Dear man, you are taking up my time, and my time means money. I'll certainly keep that in mind if I'll ever want to help around in this city. Don't expect the guards or whatever institution you're from will get much from me. I already lost the cart that should've brought me here on the way, and now I'm being held up again!" Gerrard said as he walked quickly towards the man, opening his backpack.

Out of it, he took his own quill and waited until Mia was done with the man. "Where do I have to sign? And please could I have a drop of your ink, sir?" the 'actor' said, definately spelling the 'sir' in his head as c-u-r.

His face was red by now, overdoing his role wasn't exactly what he had intended to do, but oh well, if it worked and people would believe it, it'd be great of course. After the man was handled with, Gerrard's first two checks on his list would be to find an inn or tavern and to get hold of someone who knew the underground movements in the city of the rich.

Post by Guest »

OOC: Mia and Gerrard, welcome to Tazlure. Sorry I was away. Here we go.

IC:

This was certainly not the corporal's day. Dominicus alone knew when things would come to order here at the Gilded Gates. Either feast or famine. And the refugees bargained for everything from food to livestock to one another. The One forbid!

He dragged himself out of the small but well-built gatehouse to address some of the difficulties.

Gerrard

He came up to the station where his men flanked Gerrard.

"He was a-walkin' by 'sif he owned the Guild, corporal."

The corporal shook his head. Not another one!

"Alright. Sir, you must inform the clerk of your business in Roque d'Ancort. We cannot accommodate every penniless pretender that drifts in from tide to tide. And from the Citidel, are you? Certainly not a child of the One. Unbelievers are the last thing we need."

He turned to the clerk. "Get the full story, and make sure it is not full of fish."

Mia

He stepped to the young lady next. "Your pardon, ma'am. Good tide. I am afraid this is a less than gracious introduction for you to the city...but these are less than gracious times. May we know your name and business here in Roque?"

Post by Guest »

Stay calm Gerrard, stay calm... all you gotta do is tell them a story. You are not here for business, but they don't know that. Just tell them a lie... but do tell one that seems realistic... just stay calm Gerrard thought as he turned to the clerk whilst a little sigh escaped his lips.

He crossed his arms in front of his chest, beneath his cloak.
"Alright," the citadelese young man said, "the full story eh? Quite easy, I am Gerrard Mackaree and I've been educated by my uncle in the arts of merchants. I was sent here to talk to a few shop owners, as he wants to go into business here. If I succeed, he's going to open one or more shops here. Both luxury and common shops. That would make me stick here to overview the business though. And the reason he's doing it now, is profit. If it's true that the curse is spreading to here, we might be able to take over already established shops from people who want to leave the city for safer havens. My uncles insight told him that after the plague will be over here, there'll be a lot of money to make. And I'm not in favor of any god. They all do what they can to save their followers from undeserved fates. Anything else, my man? Oh yeah, the name was Gerrard Mackaree. G-e-r-r-a-r-d no middle name M-a-c-k-a-r-e-e."

With that, the young man smiled and took a pen. "Now, if I may sign the papers, I'd be very grateful to you."
Mia

Post by Mia »

Spying the way Gerrard was quickly waylaid by the guards despite his authorative demeanour Mia was silently thankful she had taken a more measured approach herself.

Mackaree, Gerrard Mackaree. The name was silently stored away for future use. What use it would be she didn’t know but it was the first name of worth she had come across yet.

Trying not to look at the irritated nobleman Mia focussed all her attention on the guard offering her some semblance of reassurance.

“Most happily,” she started as her name was asked for. “I am Mia, recently of Brie. I ventured here hoping to gain employment in some reputable house. I am a tamer of birds, I thought … hoped that it might please someone to take a falconer into their retinue sir.”

The easy confession that the streets were not as safe as she might have imagined sent a flush of anxiety spreading across her cheeks. It was well that she had never needed to defend herself before, that her friends had never thought to harm her. But with that came the knowledge that she possessed no manner in which she could protect herself should the need arise. None other than a weak kick sent up with a simultaneous prayer to Dominicus.

Giving the guard a moment to register the information she had given the young woman was surprised to learn, from quietly listening in on others conversation, that times were was hard in the city. Never before had she heard people speak of eggs as if they were such cherished items.

Post by Guest »

Gerrard

The clerk filled in a form.

"That is a valid purpose, sir. Here are your entry documents. There are several good inns here in the lower city. That way through the gates. Good tide to you, sir."

Looked like Gerrard got away with it.

Mia

The corporal was thoughtful for a moment.

"Miss, if you will see the clerk, he will happily fill out documents for you. I don't know, in these trying times, whether your gifts will find a home here. But certainly, you should try. The blessings of the One be on you."[/b]
Last edited by Guest on Tue Jan 11, 2005 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

Gerrard took the documents and turned around to leave. A few steps taken, Gerrard stopped midstep and turned to the clerk again. "Sir, if you would be so helpful, could you tell me the names of the different inns and taverns? I can't recall which I needed to go to, although I'm sure that if I hear it, it'll pop into my mind again." Gerrard said.

The young Achadhiel looked inquisitively at the clerk with a smile on his face. Where was it again that my father said he was recruited when he was young? I wonder if the place still exists, but hey, I can give it a shot. Maybe I will recognize the name and be able to go there in hopes to find employment. Soon, the secrets of Roque, as well as the hearts of the nobles, will be mine Gerrard thought, his smile widening.

Oh, how the young man loved the games he played... as long as they would last. He wouldn't like to be thrown in the gaols if one would ever find out who he really was. A new city, new opportunities... He'd need a new story for his background and family soon. He wouldn't lie... No, for sure not. He might play a bit with the truth. Quite obviously, his mother helped in the households of different Citadelese nobles, and his father was a clerk. He wrote trade documents mostly. Right? Yes, yes right. That's his parents.

OOC: I wondered if you mind the way I wrote the last paragraph, as it seems to be more narrative than the rest... if you want me to stick by character stuff, I will.
Mia

Post by Mia »

Mia was more than confused already. Perhaps it was the duty of the clerk and not a guard to write down the particulars of her arrival. There had to be some reason why the guard had not actually written down her response and suddenly grown very silent since the arrival of the corporal. Glancing first at the man who had first addressed her holding his sheet of paper and then to the corporal who has stepped in and asked the same questions again the young Achadhiel managed a faint smile.

Stepping away from them to stand in front of the clerk she repeated word for word all she had just told the two guards. Getting into the city was not nearly as simple as she had been expecting it to be.

Post by Guest »

Gerrard

OOC: No, those kinds of introspective postings help give richness to your communication of your character. That kind of post is most welcome, I think.

IC:

"Well, sir, there's the Cliff, the Dog's Home, and the Freely Poured. All good places, if busy. Good tide to you, sir."

Mia

The clerk rapidly filled out her pass. "I loved birds as a child...don't know if I could handle 'em now. Your pass, miss, and welcome to Roque. All the best fortune to you in the name of the One."
Mia

Post by Mia »

Hearing the clerk speak of birds a shy smile touched Mia’s lips. Secretly she hoped he could still find some admiration for birds as an adult even if it were from afar. The thoughts failed to manifest themselves as words. Instead she silently reached out to take the proffered pass. Only when it was in her hand did she utter a single “thankyou.”

Then holding her head high she walked into the city to discover what lay ahead.

Post by Guest »

"Ah yes, I think I remember now. The Freely Poured it was... Thank you, my dear man. May sunrise bring you fortune." Gerrard said as he turned around and headed off into the city.
Last edited by Guest on Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post by Guest »

OOC: 18th, tradetide

Raquel had been traveling for many days on her journey to find Gerrard. She had last determined that he had just arrived in Roque, so that is where she would go as well. However, along the way, the Achadhiel had learned many things about the city to which she was now arriving....she had learned of opportunity. With a thought of new profits and chances to exploit the weak of mind and body, Raquel approached the city gates.

Her common clothing was dusty from her travels, and dirt was caked on her boots. Though on the surface this girl appeared to be nothing but a peasant, a sharp intellect, a pair of stilettos tucked into her boots, and a plan to rob wealth from the idiots of this society made her more of a menace than one would anticipate. She wasn't a dainty flower, but she also wasn't a girl that one would suspect of having evil thoughts coming to mind as frequent as the sun rises. Her walk held her out as nobody of consequence, and her clothing enabled her to fit that description perfectly. Raquel was not a terribly bad looking girl...she just wasn't anything of a great spectacle either. It was the uncommon day that she'd really gain the attention of anybody, as it was her lot in life to just fit in as an average face among the crowd....and that would be her edge...

She rehearsed the alias she would give the guard many times in her head so it would flow like water from her tongue...this was not the time to make a mistake. She had created the name several days prior, as she knew one would have to be given at the gates. Many more names would eventually come about, but this one would be how the city knew her. Raquel knew that not having a label by which associates knew her would help to distance herself from the heinous crimes that she contemplated committing...if they were caught, their mysterious employer would merely cease to exist. She knew it was fraught with peril, but the time had come for Raquel to rise up and take what she deserved. Many years of pain had brought her here...it was time for others to be tormented. She would exact her revenge on a society that did not deserve such treatment, but she did not care...

When she approched the city gates, the sinister smile had completely disappeared. Her face was now one of hope and excitement. Humbly, Raquel approached the guard at the gates and awaited for him to speak.

She answered his question as to her business in the city with as kind a voice as she could gather, and gave him a faint smile. "I am well schooled in the arts of trade, and I have come to seek my fortune. I know I may not look like much, but I believe that my ability to work hard will give me a chance to help this community prosper even more." She smiled, "I do suppose you need my name...which is Josephine Na'shaar. Good sir, may I please enter?"
Last edited by Guest on Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post by Guest »

OOC: Welcome to Tazlure. Forgive the delay...I'm soooo tired of hospitals.

IC:

The clerk, flanked by the two resplendent guards listened carefully to the attractive newcomer

"Good lady, you have picked a challenging time to look for work here in Roque. We have refugees incoming from all over the continent, some of them reduced to the kind of destitution that would have never been tolerated in this community. Do you have any particular skills that could contribute exceptionally to Roque d'Ancort?"

Post by Guest »

Raquel smiled at the clerk. "Ah...a challenge. Don't we all love one of those?" She giggled a bit, hoping to disarm his suspicions or need for questioning of her. "As to your question, I am trained in the arts of negotiation, maths, analysis, and other areas which would help any business to grow and develop. I know that is not very specific, but I know that in hard times, a successful business is one that can trim off the unnecessary expenses while also pursuing the most profitable avenues. That is where my skills will come into play." She realized that her appearance probably did not give the indication of the type of skill which she was now professing. "Good sir, I have come here through much adversity. I know I may not appear to be much on the surface, but even the most magnificent morning sunrise must start with complete darkness."

Deep down, Raquel couldn't wait to drop this act...she really was not a kind person, and she would have rather handed this man his bloody beating heart than carry on as they were. She secretly wondered if he had any children, and how they might sound as she slowly inserted her blades into their soft heads.
Last edited by Guest on Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

Completely oblivious to Raquel's true feelings, the clerk weighed her words. Well, there was claim to some of the business skills that most of the refugees lacked.

"Very well, lady...the business of Roque is business, and you claim skills that the town might need."

A few quick, confident strokes with his quill, and..."Here is your pass to the City. Good tide and good luck."

But the tall, thin guard looked carefully at Raquel, as if noting her features. Her eyes, half concealed by the helmet, narrowed just a bit. Suspicious folks, these guards in Roque.

Post by Guest »

Raquel smiled as she received the pass...not because she had the pass, but because she was now finished with this fool and the city's protocol. "Thank you, I do hope that I can give aid where needed and help contribute to the general growth and well-being of this community. I know it will be a difficult path, but hard work often makes up for the challenge."

She took the pass and as she walked by the guard, she gave a slight nod. "I thank you for your duty to our safety...may you have blessings on you and your kin."

With that, she walked into the city...her adventure had just begun.

OOC: do I now create a thread apart from this one, or continue playing here?
Last edited by Guest on Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post by Guest »

OOC: Best plan is usually to open a thread at one of the inns in the Lower City. Syra or one of the mods will pick up.

Have fun in Roque.
Fizzlemarth Whoaman

Look, it's a little bitty gnome!

Post by Fizzlemarth Whoaman »

For a time Fizz observed from a distance the guards and people coming and going through the gates of Roque d'Ancourt. The voyage on the large wooden sailing ship from Nipponar had been long and it was good to be back on land. He wondered if by some chance of fate Third Mate was in this particular port now, but very seriously doubted it and didn't particulary care if he was or not. Humans made him a bit nervous though, due to their bulky clumsy sizes and their attitudes of his race, but if one was going to explore the world, then such things had to be learnt to be put up with he knew.

He watched, though he couldn't hear clearly, the commotion produced as someone tried to bluff his way past the guards. He also watched a fair maiden pass through the gates after the other man. They didn't seem to have to much trouble if honesty was a policy. Fizz debated whether it wouldn't be more fun to prank the guards, but perhaps it was better saved for another day or someone entirely different, tempting though it was.

He sighed slightly and started forth, his bright clean clothes making sure he was going to be noticed despite that fact that he was only about the height of a human waist, a short human. If it wasn't for a long red beard and long red hair, not to mention his tall pointed hat, he probably could have been mistaken as a misguided human child wandering outside the gates. That would have been amusing, but he was unwilling to shave such a splendid face for any prank.

Waiting in line for his turn at the reception table, he adjusted slightly his small gnomish made leather backpack and pulled a bit on his moustache. If they made some lame gnome joke, he though he might just kick the person in the shins. His common wasn't good, but derogatory comments in gnomish would never be understood either.
Last edited by Fizzlemarth Whoaman on Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post by Guest »

Just in front of the gnome, what was obviously a married couple were wrangling away.

"What was the name of that inn? And are you sure Ioreth is going to meet us?"

"The Cliff Inn, Tradetide tomorrow...I showed you the letter...what more could you ask?"

"That would be fine if I could read..."

The bickering couple went to the man on the table's left, and the clerk on the right looked up...and around...and then down a bit.

"Next, ple...by the One! Please step forward, Master Gnome. It's been...never mind. Your name and business in Roque d'Ancort, please."

OOC: Welcome to Tazlure!
Fizzlemarth Whoaman

The Entrance Table

Post by Fizzlemarth Whoaman »

<b>OOC:</b> Glad to be here. Thanks!

<b>IC:</b>

Fizz dutifully stepped forward wondering what the guard had been about to say in common, but thinking it didn't sound like it was going to be a derogatory comment so much as a probable exclamation about how rare such a visit to this human city a gnome might be. Then a gnome anywhere outside of Nipponar had to be rare since Fizz had barely ever heard of a gnome leaving the poor Isle.

Ignoring the bickering couple nearby he spoke up in somewhat poor common, "Fizzlemarth Whoaman sir. Come here history to write. Historian I am. Write book history of Roque in gnomish for gnomes".

Fizz hoped his intent was not too covered by his limited abilities in common. Thinking on it though, perhaps he ought to entertain the idea of a helper, someone who might help him speak more elegantly to those he needed to meet and talk to. As he thought of this and watched the guard's reactions, he couldn't help but notice the girl he'd seen earlier making her way at a distant now into Roque. For a human female, she wasn't too shabby and Fizz sensed a kindness to her demeanor. Someone like that is who he ought to find if he needed help. The gnome peeked back at the table while tipping up on his toes a bit to see what the guard might be writing for him. Not that he was going to be able to read it himself. He barely spoke common, but surely didn't write it. Yet!
Last edited by Fizzlemarth Whoaman on Sat Jan 29, 2005 12:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Maeve
The Dragon & Game Designer

Post by Maeve »

OOC: after this player the thread is being claimed by the Modding Seminar. Please welcome Adrian!
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]

Post by Guest »

OOC: OK, boss! Hey, Adrian. All the best!

IC:

"History, eh?" responded the clerk, chuckling while rubbing his slightly stubbled chin with a free hand. "Never heard tell that gnome folk were historians. Well...welcome to Roque."

Processing the forms the clerk continued: "I'll tell ye, Master Gnome. If ye want the oldest word, best to visit the the Light of One Monastery . Time was that Roque d'Ancourrt was th' monastery and some fishermen's huts."

He handed over the pass.

"Good luck, Master Gnome...and watch yourself. It's a rougher city than it was."
Last edited by Guest on Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Roque d'Ancourt Archive”