Greystone Manor- lMT (Adrian) SH 19

Moderator: Mods

Lady Helvania Hamilton

Post by Lady Helvania Hamilton »

Helvania nodded. “Or a way to get to Larbiedo,” she suggested in response to Adrian’s statement about Silk wanting the Guild out of business. The lady rested her head against Adrian’s shoulder as she listened and considered.

“I had wondered about the Roses gaining influence in the Palace. Whether real or merely perceived, there are those who would resent it… who would kill to put a stop to it.”

The Helvania pulled back a little to look up into her Rose’s face. Sympathy and pain that she would have hidden from all others showed in her blue-grey eyes.

“If Anochrim were to fall in love with a Rose, that would be taken very seriously. Silk would consider it a threat to his power and a plot of Larbeido’s…, but he is not the only one who would. We cannot be sure, and you must be very careful, my beloved Adrian. Do not consider anything drastic, please!” The last was a fervent plea from a woman deeply in love and truly afraid of losing her beloved.
Adrian Elsonrae

Drastic?

Post by Adrian Elsonrae »

"... No, nothing drastic... I have people like Elaine, Ulder, and yourself that ground my temper." Adrian replied in a conforting tone. "And I shouldn't jump to conclusions... He had a lot of enemies. Silk would only be the most obvious."

Although... the gears were turning in his mind as it wandered into a possible plot.

"... Just perhaps a rib below the belt..." He said as he thought in his mind. "You remember the play 'Faulk's Blood' right, love? 'The Mousetrap'?"

((Referring to what would be this universe's equivilant of Hamlet, where a prince suspecting his uncle of murdering his father puts on a play to get evidence that he did the deed.))
Lady Helvania Hamilton

Helvania nodded that she did recall the play, but then she took Adrian’s hand.

“Come, my love,” she said softly. “Let us find somewhere more private to talk. There is the future of the Guild to be considered as well,” the lady declared gravely. “Perhaps my private sitting room would be best?” She asked, gently guiding Adrian toward the door.

“I’m sure Mrs. Rialdon will see to it that your books are taken up to your chambers.” It was a mundane consideration in the face of the news that they had just received, but such things could be grounding in times of shock.
Adrian Elsonrae

Sure!

Adrian looked a little confused at first but walked on behind Helvania.

"Alright, love, if it makes you more comfortable. If you are certain there are no footholds here, then I don't see the point." Adrian replied.

Helvania's sudden lack of security after saying that Silk didn't have anything here was confusing and awfully suspicious to him. He knew Helvania had her secrets, but he could also dismiss it as grief.

"... And what about the future of the Guild? Other than my contract, what does that have to do with me? I am sure he was smart enough to come up with a written will considering his enemies."
Lady Helvania Hamilton

Helvania did not reply until they had gained her sitting room upstairs and she had closed the door behind them. The room was similar to that of Adrian’s, but larger and with personal touches and treasured items about, giving it a definite air of the lady who occupied it. Draperies and Upholstery were in shades of blues and greens, beautifully accented by soft rose tones. There were paintings of flowers and of nature scenes from many parts of the world, as well as delicate porcelains, brass and sculpted gem figurines on various tables. It was a room of beauty, an inner sanctuary.

“I do trust my staff, my love,” she explained with a smile. “But a discussion of the Guild is better had in complete privacy, so that we may both be at our ease.” Helvania took Adrian’s hands in hers and drew him to a settee. “I do not want you to fear divulging Guild secrets.” Her pale blue eyes shone with love and tears still held at bay.

“Larbiedo is… was,” Helvania corrected herself, with a swallow, “a very influential and yet subtle man. I have… had,” she amended again, a single tear escaping to trickle down her ivory cheek, “known him for many yahren, although our ‘friendship’ was necessarily concealed. It would have been assumed that there was more to such a relationship; an intimacy of a sort that did not exist between us,” the lady explained, ignoring a second tear that had joined the first.

“I do not trust easily, as you know,” she went on, gazing down at her hands. Then she looked up to meet Adrian’s eyes once again. Helvania was, at that flicker, showing her Rose how deep her trust in him ran. “Larbiedo was one in whom I allowed myself to have a certain degree of trust, and I believe that was mutual.”

“I know that he would not want the Guild to perish, despite the forced closure, despite his death. So many of the Roses are scattered. We must do something,” she declared firmly, and yet the look in her eyes showed more question than certainty.
Adrian Elsonrae

Not adding up...

Adrian still had that look of something not making sense in her story. His hand still in hers, he tilted his head slightly, still looking nieve on his face, but in his mind something was clicking.

She was chosen by Silky for a reason, Adrian...

"Love, pardon my asking, but if you did have that trust, why are you asking me about the secrets of the Rose? I had only trained there for about four tides before the place was scoured, what have I that may be useful to saving the guild? Certainly with that sort of a trust, you would know more about the Rose than I would... and you knew the headmaster, love. A wily man like that has seven back up plans even after death."

He squeezed her hand gently to reassure her.

"I'm sure the Guild will come out ahead... and besides, if it closes, doesn't my contract go under as well? I know that is a little cheeky of me to say, and I'm not saying I like it, but... I hope that is a slight bright side."

I'm a Rose, love, I know the smell of fertilzer...
Lady Helvania Hamilton

Helvania sighed and then looked into Adrian’s eyes, as if searching for something. Then, she took a deep breath, nodding almost imperceptibly.

“Adrian,” she began in a slow, measured tone. “The Guild has taken quite a beating with the recent… persecutions. I’m sure you know that both instructors and students were seized, not all of whom… survived their ordeal. Others fled. In many ways, it was easier for the less experienced students to find temporary sanctuary than it was for the more advanced, and therefore more well-known, students. For the staff, it was nearly impossible. So many had to flee the island, as hiding in the Citadel was too big a risk.”

The lady paused for thought, and then went on, “You’ve seen Mistress Aerillia. She is one of the few left whose whereabouts is known.” Again she paused, watching Adrian’s face, trying to judge his reaction.

“The Guild will probably survive,” Helvania said, the coolness in her voice deceptively suggesting her indifference. “The question is, who will be in control…, and who will end up holding your contract.”
Adrian Elsonrae

Aaahaaaa...

"I had guessed that already..." Adrian replied sadly. "Considering how much blood I saw down there..."

He bowed his head and sighed, letting his hair flop over...

I don't like where this conversation is going... Adrian thought Of course Silky would want a contact of his in charge of the guild... and of course, I wouldn't want the next guy that I have to mess around with my charge unless I could trust him, so I have my balls in a dandy fix again if the headmaster didn't set up someone to take over if something happened.

... and slowly raising his head to Helvania. Appearing to have come to a decision.

"Is there any clue as to who is in the running to take over, then? Hopefully there was someone that Larbiedo trusted that he assigned to the job... if not, what sort of sharks are swimming in that political water? It might give us clues on who murdered him..."

Hopefully evidence that can point to Silky...
Lady Helvania Hamilton

Helvania sighed once again, and then continued, “Yes, I believe so. Although that is badly hampered by… recent losses. You see, Gaelynna would be the obvious first choice, with Ruselle equally obviously second. The instigator of the raids must have known this, as Gaelynna is missing and Ruselle is known to be dead.”

The lady paused following this announcement. It was certainly not an easy one to make, although her voice remained steady and calm, almost soothing.

"Anyone wanting to cripple the Guild would know this," Helvania then stated, shaking her head in a flicker of frustration.

“Adara is in hiding, much like Rilla,” she went on. “As is Eisalter. They are the only three with whom I have contact or certain knowledge of their locations. Others have fled the island.” Again a sigh escaped the lady’s lips. “Larbeido may have known how to contact them, but I do not.”

Then the lady cursed creatively in Adhiel under her breath, suddenly springing to her feet and beginning to pace. “She looked at me as if I ought to know what to do now!” she declared cryptically, her arms extended in a physical display of her agitation. Helvania wore the very clear expression just now that loudly asked, ‘why me?’
Adrian Elsonrae

???

Adrian was a bit lost now... but something she said struck a chord for him. Something in his head wasn't setting right with him and he had to know if this was a political game or true intentions.

"Yes... people who would want to see the guild crippled would know that information. Why would Silk personally suggest you in order to have as a first contract for me?" He said as-matter-of-factly.

His face was not untrusting nor untrustworthy at this point. He gave his own sigh of minor frustration.

"Look... both you and I are between a rock and a hard place. I have no idea what is going on... I loathe Silk. But if there is a culprit in the Rose causing this much damage to the world around us, then I must do what I must do. It appears both of us want to do the right thing in our positions, but you know my position... and I'm unclear as to where yours is. If you think for five seconds that I am going to tell Silky-boy everything, you're mistaken. But if you also think that going gung-ho to save the guild at this point is a wise idea, you're mad... if he finds out you're helping keep afloat something he's trying to tear down, who do you think is going to be his litteral whipping boy since he'd have a hard time touching you? ... What makes you think I wouldn't become the next Rose to be de-flowered just to get even with you?"

He leaned back in his chair, looking honestly up at Helvania. Part of his eyes showed a firm grasp on reality with a hint of sadness in his eyes. It was the eyes of a man who lived many years on the street.

"Unless of course... you were telling me all of this in order to make me feel better about giving what little I know about the Rose to you in order to give to Silk... and even if you did, I don't blame you for it. Indirectly, we have him to thank for helping find the best thing that ever happened to us."

It was strange for him, not a look of distrust or betrayal... but he was looking for an answer.

"... Just calm down... and be straight with me as I have with you... that's all I ask... Silky asked for information that would prevent the Caesar getting hurt. This is Rose politics... it's not leaving this room..."
Lady Helvania Hamilton

Helvania looked at Adrian, obviously startled. Then she crossed over to a chair and sat down.

“Adrian, love,” she began, carefully measuring her words. “Silk has tried for many years to find some leverage with me, to undermine my power. I have influence with Anochrim that he resents.” The lady paused and sighed. “He sent you here, I am quite certain, knowing that I would not turn away a Rose, although I doubt that he has yet discovered why.”

“Although I shall forever be glad of you in my life, I should prefer to credit the gods than that man,” Helvania declared acidly.

“Silk might resent my influence with Anochrim, but not half as much as he has come to resent the Guild’s, and, therefore, Larbeido’s.” Again she paused and sighed, but the lady continued on. “You see, the Caesar fell in love with a Rose.” This time her pause was to let Adrian absorb the significance of this. “Silk seems to believe that it was arranged by Larbeido in order to gain control within the Palace. I doubt that it was anything quite so calculated, although, at the time, I was highly sceptical of the existence of real love.”

“It seems that Silk is far more jaded than I was,” Helvania speculated wryly. “But I believe that this is why he wants to destroy, or at least take control of the Guild.”
Adrian Elsonrae

I see...

That made sense enough. Adrian was obviously a little tired with all of the political backwater of this and lost track of the entire story, and sighed with a sense of resignment, slowly letting himself flop in his chair, rubbing the temples of his forehead.

"My head hurts... who's stabbing who in the back, murder, betrayal, jealousy... will I really be cut out to be a nobleman?" Adrian replied. "Back on the streets, you knew whom to avoid... this an entire world away from where I came from..."

His head reclined on the edge of the chair and looked up to the ceiling.

"Lovely..." he huffed. "Well, you have quite a bit of weight to throw around, but so does Silky... if he is as jealous as you say of you, then we had better not announce our marriage any time soon... he can and will use me as a weapon if he wants a stepping stone."
Lady Helvania Hamilton

As Adrian flopped into the chair, Helvania rose and moved to his side. Her delicate fingers caressed his forehead and ran softly through his hair. Then she placed a light kiss upon his cheek.

“I’m so sorry, my love,” she whispered sadly. “This is politics in the Citadel, I’m afraid.”

When Adrian spoke of delaying the announcement of their marriage, Helvania instantly began to protest, “But I will…” Then her voice trailed off as she could not make the promise she had been about to voice; she could not protect him, if Silk gained control of the Guild. There was fear in her pale blue eyes for a flicker or two, before she steeled herself and made her decision.

“I shall make enquiries. See to it that Silk does not gain control of the Guild. I have neither the knowledge nor the place to do anything directly within the Guild, but I can see that those who do have aid and protection.” Her voice held determination and it was clear that she was intent on protecting her Rose to the best of her ability, even if she could make him no promises of his safety.
Adrian Elsonrae

Hurray!

Adrian laughed a moment and smiled, a couple of tears rolling down his eyes. He doubted her... until now. But for whatever reason, he was doing this for him. It gave him a peace of mind that he had not experienced in a long time.

"... Thank you." Adrian said. "That... means more to me than you'll ever know."

He stood up to meet his love, walking over to her and holding her in his arms.

"In the meantime, love... it's up to me to play the oblivious pretty boy." he said, kissing her lips softly.
Lady Helvania Hamilton

Helvania’s arms encircled Adrian with the warmth and gentleness of true affection. This was the reality of her world and she knew that it would take the rose some time to adjust. In the mean time, the lady would do her utmost to protect him, whether they were officially betrothed or not. Adrian was now her family, as far as she was concerned.

His kiss soothed her, encouraged her. “Yes, I suppose you will,” she sighed, teasingly. “How ever shall you manage it, do you think?”

Her coy smile had returned, despite the grief and fear this Tradetide had brought. At least they could be genuine with each other, if not with the rest of the world. He had given her so much already in their relationship.

“I treasure you, my love,” she said, now serious again. “Do you know that? And I will be patient and wait until it’s safe to announce our wedding.”
Adrian Elsonrae

Right!

"We'll be able to find a way through this mess... you'll see." Adrian smiled. "The main problem lies with the contract... particuarly with Larbiedo gone... the currently problem is playing things with Silky as safe as possible. All he ordered me to do was to find out possible enemies against the Caesar... so that's all I'll give him."

He didn't let her go, but cuddled her slightly. He gave a mirthful laugh.

"You are so huggable, you know that?"
Lady Helvania Hamilton

Helvania nodded at Adrian’s assessment of their current difficulties. Silk would be expecting some sort of report. The question was, would he settle for failure at finding something to use against her once again. This was the first time that Silk had gotten anyone inside her household, of that the lady was quite certain. Helvania could just image how hopeful the man would be feeling, having come to close this time. It was quite ironic really that each viewed the other as a threat to the crown and the empire.

As Adrian spoke, the lady made no move to pull away from him, taking and giving comfort in a simple embrace. Helvania had found with the rose far more than she had ever allowed herself to dream possible. It was wonderful to forget about the outside world, if even for a flicker, in Adrian’s arms.

At his question, she replied teasingly, “Sshhh, that’s a secret!” as she nestled her head against his chest. Then she sighed softly, pulling away just enough to look up at him.

“I must issue some directions, and the sooner the better,” Helvania said, returning almost to her business-like persona, though her eyes and voice now retained the softness that was reserved just for her Rose. “If my people move before Silk’s, we’ll have a better chance of success.”

“As much as I would prefer to remain here with you, I am afraid that must come first,” she added, leaning up to kiss Adrian’s cheek.

((OOC: We can leave this here and move on to Adrian’s meeting with Silk, if you like.))
Adrian Elsonrae

Works for me

((cool))
Twilight
Retired staff

Post by Twilight »

THREAD SKILLED
A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

(avatar by Talon Yoseijo)

Return to “The Citadel proper Archive”