Magic Guild - Gilanor's Classes - 19th

Moderators: Tristam, Mods

Magic Guild - Gilanor's Classes - 19th

Post by Guest »

Slipping into the classroom Gilanor glanced quickly around at the few other students that had made it so far. Not that he could tell if anyone was missing since it was the first time he had attended this subject, but he did his best to take in the faces of those he saw before taking a seat.

Unlike his first class the Master of this one had yet to apparently arrive, but since it was about illusions for all he knew one of the student might be the Master in disguise or he could be on the dais invisible to all. He wasn't sure if the Master's of the school would behave in such a fashion, but he was used to the sort of games his father played. Leaving openings in defenses that were really traps waiting to be sprung to see if you would take them.

Setting the text for the class and writing paper on the desk in front of him he opened it to the first section. Not knowing how long he'd be waiting he started to read the first chapter like a couple of the others students were doing. He couldn't understand why the rest of the students were just sitting fidgeting or whispering among themselves.
Last edited by Guest on Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

OOC: I'll be joining your thread with the permission of Tor, Gilanor. I really hope you don't mind. It so more interesting with more PCs. I will be posting later tonight or possible tomorrow, just wanted to notify you first. :wink:
Ssinith DIllil
Tazlure Supporter

May I, while I'm at it?

Post by Ssinith DIllil »

((Since my own threads are going slow, do you mind if I join you as well since we already know we take the same classes?))
"If all things are energy and a wizard is a master of manipulating it, then as a politician am I studying the greatest sorcery of all."

~S'sinith

NOMINATION
Most Heroic Male PC (2008)
Most Religious PC (2008/2006)

Post by Guest »

IC: Gaeden arrogantly wandered into the classroom for the first class of the day. His slender figured snaked itself between the attentive students and their desks. Glancing at the respectful faces, Gaeden searched for an untaken seat and spotted it next to a tall elf. The newcomer spread his few belongings over the bench. A parchment. A quill. An inkbottle. And sand to sprinkle over the writing. The necessary items to start the learning process were neatly laid in front of him.

Seating himself onto the uncomfortable chair, the magling crossed his arms carelessly and spun to his left, beginning to stare rudely at the colleague sitting close to him. Gaeden started stroking his chin profoundly; although his stare never wavered. He fancied himself superior to these simple creatures.

What class is this? And where is the mentor? Should not every aspect of my study have been taken care of with my initial payment? Gaeden realized these were inquiries with uninteresting answers, merely stupidifying. The magling swept the questions under a rug in his skull.

"Right now; we are settled and there is no tutor here yet. Should we be alert or do we wait patiently? What is your name?" Gaeden asked, and an amused smile erupted on his face before it was wiped away and replaced with a composed facade. Continuing to stroke his chin, Gaeden kept his eyes on the tall elf, simply attempting to burn a hole in his head with his abiding and resolute ogle.

OOC: I am sorry for the rude introduction, but alas, I can no longer control Gaeden. I am really a nice guy, only tormented by a vile soul figthing to break out of me, hence Gaeden. :twisted:
Ssinith DIllil
Tazlure Supporter

The odd one... SH 19, lMT

Post by Ssinith DIllil »

((I'm making this right after his Alchemy project))

Normally he made it early to class, but with his studies at the lab, he was merely "on time". And once again, Ssinith's eccentric tastes in clothes with his reds and yellows made him look well-dressed... but he stuck out like a Dwarf in an Adhiel tavern. His hair was frightfully long, his braid down to his knees. If it were placed straight, his platinum white hair would more than likely be to the ground. Under one arm was his textbook and under the other was his satchel.

He took as front a row seat as he could... placing his satchel down beside him and taking out a pair of candled. He had read about the concept of focuses, but wanted to save his coin for his admission fee for when they finally asked for it. Taking out his spyglasses, he took to his textbook, fully ignoring the prideful Adhiel (Gaeden) voicing his concerns.
"If all things are energy and a wizard is a master of manipulating it, then as a politician am I studying the greatest sorcery of all."

~S'sinith

NOMINATION

Post by Guest »

OOC: Now that we have all joined Gil's thread, I think we should timestamp it more accurately. I suggest Samheen 19th MT. Is that okay with you guys? :)
Last edited by Guest on Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Torigm Khace

Post by Torigm Khace »

OOC:
Just a note: I've put Tristam as a supporter on this thread as the professor. But I'll also be keeping track. I'm giving my lunch breaks to Tazlure. Huzzah!

JOE--
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

The murmur of conversation drifted off into silence as all the students became aware of a figure observing them from the front of the room. A human woman stood there tall and proud. A dress of dark blue hugged her muscular form. Red hair hung down in a braid to the middle of her back. Her icy blue gaze swept over the room and she sniffed in distaste.

"This class will now begin." She announced coldly. "What is the difference between reality and illusion?" She asked and her gaze demanded that one of them attempt to answer.
[size=100]
Donald heard a mermaid sing, Susy spied an elf,
But all the magic I have known, I've had to make myself.

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Ssinith DIllil
Tazlure Supporter

Philosophy?

Post by Ssinith DIllil »

Ssinith looked up from his books at the sound of the woman's voice... it sounded... different. He was surprised to see a human teacher, though he had seen humans here and there, Gulanadur was not known to treat them above a second-class citizen...

... If she was teaching here, she was indeed one of importance. The question, however, was about Illusion, and knowing his quirky professors, it was more than likely a test. Thus, he was brief to think and quick to answer with an inquisitive look on his face.

"The perception of energy between the mortal senses and the arcane?" Ssinith replied. "Since all things are energy including light and sound, it is the difference between a mask and a masker a real layer of substance placed upon the reality underneath."

~S'sinith

NOMINATION

Post by Guest »

Gaeden gasped and jumped when the tutor materialized. Relaxing and leaning arrogantly backwards, he watched the rest of the class and the teacher. The scene reminded him of the encounter with the mirage in the cavernous hall. He clasped his hands onto the desk and his keen eyes trailed the proud female figure in front of the class.

Listening first to the demanding question and then to the interesting answer, the magling shivered and laughed quietly. Gaeden was amused, and he did nothing to hide it. A reader with perhaps a correct response did not see far beyond the earthly plane. There were so many unanswered aspect of this world, what was illusion and what was really reality?

The magling cleared his voice with a harsh hark and yawned and stretched annoyingly. Then he accepted the attention and went forward with the discussion.

"I am sure you are correct," Gaeden addressed the obvious elf whom had politely answered the brute question. He then continued in an orderly fashion.

"Illusion is an erroneous perception of reality. I have heard rumours about incidents in Amun Rah; a dehydrated creature presents himself with unreal mirages. But before we ask what is the difference should we not define reality? What is really reality? The plane before you and me, the material plane, or why not the illusion? None can answer the question though, but what I think is real may only be an illusion. Maybe an illusion is the reality and the so-called reality is only an illusion?" Gaeden stared amusedly about, and knew immediately he would be countered by the tutor or the other elf. Laughing, he also knew his response probably would cause a massive stir among the rest of the class.
Ssinith DIllil
Tazlure Supporter

Illusion and Reality

Post by Ssinith DIllil »

Ssinith looked behind him at the full-winded student making the long explanation, adjusting his spyglasses and trying to get a good look at his sash. He debated in his mind to comment with a joke or with logical debate, but recalled his last attempt at humor and decided to go with a debate.

Folding his long fingers before him, he shifted position in his seat to face in between the teacher and the other elf. He crossed his legs in a relaxed position, in a pose of confidence, but not quite arrogance.

"Well, seeing that all things are energy, including planes, would it not be safe to say that energy itself is our reality?" He said, posing the question to both Gaeden and the teacher, wondering who would reply first.

~S'sinith

NOMINATION

Post by Guest »

Gaeden leaned forward, quietly clasping his hand onto the desk. He observed the debating male in front of the class. The woman had not yet interrupted upon the argumentation; she remained mute and mindful. The rest of the class also did not partake in the debate.

Tapping his finger on the desk, Gaeden waited for his turn. His knowledge was inferior to the other student, but the philosophical aspect had no right or wrong answers, only convincing argumentation. Closing his hand and laying them casually on his thighs, the magling reacted to the statement. He remained harmonious and firmly seized the opportunity to speak.

"Why sure. Energy is constant, and it surrounds us, and it is the fundamental substance of the total. So it is said? But alas, we are ignorant, and how can I prove the thesis? I do not disagree; only I cannot say I am overly sure. How can we ever be about any aspect of the world?" Gaeden spoke without any conviction, he only summed the facts earlier stated and adding his own thoughts, slowly reaching his intended direction. The he fiercely reached his final conclusion, although his exterior was placid and serene. He did not move anything but his lips, and his gaze remained steady upon the figure he was conversing with.

"You commented earlier that there is only energy. Then it is really no difference between reality and illusion? Only my or your perception, or better yet definition of reality."
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

The rest of the class had indeed remained silent throughout this exchange. The teacher smiled wide at Gaeden's last comment and turned to include Ssinith in it as well.

"Very few students cut to heart of the matter so quickly." The woman walked slowly forward through the class. They could smell lilacs as she passed them. "The real is energy and illusions are energy. So if you cannot perceive the difference then illusion is reality."

For those watching there is no transition, no shift. The woman is simply gone and replaced by an adhiel, old even by adhiel standards. He wears a loose fitting robe of black cloth and leans upon a cane of black rock carved to resemble a rearing snake. His head is hairless except for a long silver beard that hangs down his chest.

"In practice of course," he continued in a raspy voice, "the reality of the illusion is dependent on the skill of the weaver. Simple illusions can be seen through by simple minds. The best can seem more real than reality." His cane clicks upon the floor as he slowly returns to the front. The smell of lilacs was replaced by an unpleasant smell of decay.

"I am Professor Choatxi, and my task is to train you both in the weaving of illusions and the observation of reality. Only by knowing the real world down to its tiniest detail can your illusions attempt to match it." The old man absently waved his hand and a pedastal appeared in the center of the room on which sat a cube of black stone. "Examine this." He instructed. "See it for what it is. Seek its inner nature. It will be the basis for your first illusion."
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Adrian Elsonrae

Makes sense...

Post by Adrian Elsonrae »

Ssinith nodded at Gaeden's responce. He respected a thinker. His attention drew back to the teacher and the scent made his face turn a little before he directed his attention back to the class.

Ssinith looked at the cube for a few moments... this was a bit of a jump from making a ball of light to seeing through Illusion. He relaxed for a moment and slowly got into his arcane sight to see energy. The hum of the orchestra of energy was resounding.

"... Professor... am I trying to pull away the curtain or look through the curtain of the illusion?" Ssinith replied, wondering if plucking at the energy would give a peek as to what was underneath. "Is there a different way to look at energy other than the basic sight for this exercise?"

Post by Guest »

Beaming, Gaeden returned to his relaxing arrangement. He listened intently to the new tutor. Or the same only in a different character. Presently an aged male. Gaeden had not perceived the energies which had hidden the identity of professor Choaxti and was puzzled by the constantly changing surroundings. A female elf. An aged, male elf. A pedestal upholding a black cube.

He returned the debating adhiel's nod with a curtious bow. He wanted to remain formal and polite until he knew more about the professor's attitude, the conversing elf and the rest of the class.

The tutor introduced the next task, and Gaeden, although listening, he studied the new object. The ominous block. Its carved sides. The biting blackness. The magling stared at the object, every aspect of it. He mentally sculpted it in his skull. Rising from his chair, he began to walk tardily towards the front of the class. His consciousness revolved around the black cube. Its form. The minor particles entangled into firm mass.

"I think I understand. May I, professor Choaxti? To be able to create an illusion, I must know every part, every minor fragment of this item. But do answer his inquiry; I only want to take a closer look at the object." Gaeden continued forward towards the pedestal.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"Gaeden speaks correctly if out of turn." The professor rapsed in reply and gazed upon Gaeden to see if the point was made.

The old man then turned back to the rest of the class. "The cube is real, Ssinith. The veil that hid it from your eyes was the illusion." Professor Choatxi walked forward towards the pedastal puncutated by the cane clacking on the floor. "The more in depth you know this cube, the more convincing your illusion of it will be. Examine it with all of your senses. Get as close as you like but let everyone have their turn."
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

Gaeden glided forward, snaking himself between the desks and the other apprentices. He accepted the strict remark mutely and continued unaffected on his path towards the massive block. His arms remained by his side, and the swooshing sonance from his cloak against his shirt accompanied him to the black cube.

Circling the material item, he commenced his earlier practice. He had been distracted and now stillness was evident in the chamber.

The magling formed the cube inside his skull. It was surrounded by whitenss to differanciate the colors. He circled it in reality and performed the same in his mind, staring at and even into the mass on the pedestal. Sculpting the cube carefully on the mental plane, he pictured every fragment of it. Every aspect was carefully copied into the second and unreal level. It was an exact copy of the ominous cube resting on the supporting foundation.

Gaeden closed the final distance between himself and the object. He leaned forward, examining it even more thorough. The magling analyzed every aspect of the dark item. His hands stretched out to caress the black block. Feeling the metal under his fingers, Gaeden gazed onto the magickal plane to view the threads which created the cube and enclosed it. When the moving serpents appeared before his eyes, the youth created them also on his mental plane like he had completed the material thing earlier.

Finally he smelled the cube, and even listened to it.

"I have copied every aspect and every fragment of your cube. What is next, professor Choaxti? How do I mask it?" Gaeden's impatiently asked the tutor.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Adrian Elsonrae

I see...

"Oh..." Ssinith replied sheepishly.

He sighed to himself about that one other student. And people accused HIM of being a know it all! One of his greatest traits was that he never knew everything. For then he could continue learning forever. The spyglasses made it easier for Ssinith to see without disturbing the line. He made a size estimate with his hands, trying to build the cube in his mind piece by piece as if writing schematics in his head.

Noting color, he placed that on, then possible texture, luster. He then took his turn last in line, observing what the reactions of other people were to the object. He touched the cube, trying to get a more defined texture, sniffing to see if any rocky aroma was coming from it. He tapped it to see if it was hollow in the middle. Igneous or metamorphic rock? Not lifting it from the pedistal, he gently pushed and lifted to check it's true weight. He then closed his eyes, setting himself and looked for some light energy in the area.

He attempted to pluck some light energy and see what the cube looked like in a different light so that even the shadow of this object would be as close to the original as possible. He would only do this for a few flickers, however, as he knew he had to save energy for the final project.

After making all the mental notes, he returned to his seat and awaited further instruction, keeping all the notes fresh in his mind and keeping the concrete concept of the cube in his full concentration.

Post by Guest »

OOC: Sorry my posting rating is slow due to ill health, but the exchanges here are going quicker than lightning. Lots of posts happening in just 5 days :)

The sudden appearance of the professor had prevented him from replying to the other student and since then he had kept quite. The professors arrival had been interesting and Gilanor had centred himself to see if he could sense any lingering energies from the illusion.

Since then he had kept quite as the others had throw about their various verbal gambits. Everything is an illusion, reality is one imposed by physical senses, and arcana illusions are simply further masking imposed on those senses The thought had occurred to him but he hadn't bothered to voice it instead turning inwards to centre himself further.

He had let his mind study the energies at the front of the class amused as they shifted and peeled back like the petals of a floor to reveal yet more. First the illusion that had masked the professor, then the illusion that had hidden the cube. Was that the key to the true perception of reality and energies to first peel back the upper layer let your senses ease past it and see what was beyond.

That might actually work.

The stray thought almost rocked his centering for a moment, but he stilled the anticipation it had caused to rise within him and surrendered further to the moment and the stillness in his mind.

Then focusing on the cube as the professor instructed he took in the first outer layer of it. Letting his sense of the energies within it soak its substance into his memory, then as he had done with his hand the other day he let his focus go further. Starting inwards into the substance of the cube looking for the next layer of energies within it.

Yes the cool mass of stone seemed consistent without, but there would be differences within the material of it substances. Flaws, or subtle differences in texture, density, or even the material it was made from. Gilanor let it all soak into his senses not forcing his focus, but rather just surrendering to the energies of the cube and letting them flood his senses.

He didn't move towards the cube or around it instead it he let it come to him till it seemed a copy of it started to exist separately in his mind. He let what his senses told him of it take form in his mind, and gently turned the cube about learning of it from every direction. The framework of its form filling itself inwards as he let the details of its interior soak into his mind.

The density of the stone within his mind made him feel as if he was one with the stone beneath his feet. Using energy of light he tried to set a link a path between himself and the stone trying to ground himself as the book had instructed. Then he would gentle gather up similar energies to the stone, dark cool energies that he could sense around him. He hoped he could use what he had read in the book Tin's had recommend and let the pattern forth from his mind.

He hoped to let the energies he had gathered flow into the mental form rather than forcing them. The focus would be to set forth a shadow replica of the cube to appear in the air in front of him. The size of his construct might be barely a hand's breadth on either side, but that wasn't his focus. Rather it was to recreate from the energy of darkness the outer form of the stone at the front of the room. First and form most was to keep the construct as consistent in appearance as the form he felt within his mind.

It is form without substance, shadow without weight, mass without burden

Gilanor breathed slowly and steadily keeping himself relaxed, still and patient as he waited to see if the pattern he had sent forth would manifest in the real world.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

OOC: Welcome Gilanor! I was brought here to pick up the pace and it seems I did my job a little too well. :) I shall post a little more sedately so we don't rush past you.

IC:

Gilanor

He had let his mind study the energies at the front of the class amused as they shifted and peeled back like the petals of a flower to reveal yet more. First the illusion that had masked the professor, then the illusion that had hidden the cube.

But that is not how it was for it all. For the cube and pedastal, it was like that. There were a few flickers where the streams of empty air dropped away to reveal the area how heavy with the strands of stone. Around the professor however, there was no such sensation. It was similar when the professor appeared only very little could be seen of the professor on the Aether, just a pale gray shape that was very easy to lose among the background. But when Choatxi changed appearance from woman to old man, Gilanor saw no change in the Aether. If there was a change, it was hidden from Gilanor's sight.

All

The other three students in the class took their time examining the cube as well. To them all, the cube proved to be perfectly smooth on the outside but dull instead of gleaming. It was one solid mineral all the way to its core and to magic sight it was a tight lattice of earth energy with echoes of fire that spoke of volcanic origin. It was lighter than it looked and smelled slightly of sulfur. It made no sound.

The three other students turned sour looks on Gaeden as he announced his desire to move on in the lesson. Turning from the cube to look at the professor, they found a battle scarred dwarf standing there in a suit of battered chainmail. His beard was short and still smouldered as though recently burned off. His patted it with one thick hand and the smell of burnt hair and soot wafted through the room.

"Ye think so, eh lad?" The dwarf rumbled. "Well let's put your arrogance to the test then." The professor's hand shot out and made a twisting gesture with his thick fingers. To their waking eyes, a perfect image of the cube now hung in the air before him. To those viewing with magic sight, it was a series of twists of light and air, a repeated pattern that sketched the frame of the cube.

"Start small if ye must. That will make it simpler." The dwarf advised them all then folded his hands over his ample belly to observe.

Gilanor was having no luck with his attempt. The energies of earth came to his call readily enough but they were heavy and cumbersome, not suited for this kind of work at all.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

The magling templed his fingers to simplify his focus and stilled his logical thinking. Devouring the assessments and creating an ominous abyss, he was composed and detached. Gaeden released himself from the physical embodiment and floated onto the magickal plane. He was among the streams of magickal wires and his entire being consisted also of fibers, tuning himself to the flows of magick. Waves and waves of crystal threads erupted in alien patterns, crossing and recrossing each other. Red, green, crystal, white, blue, brown, they were different colors and shapes and sizes.

The cube entered his mind. It was there within a flicker. At first it was a material picture. The ominous block consisted of volcanic metal, its sulfur smell, the biting element only inside his skull. Then the magling transferred it also onto the magickal level, streams of vivid threads entangled in a large heap creating the black mass.

Beads of sweat streamed down his nose and the salt flavor filled his mouth. Gaeden did not notice it though; his mind fully occupied with the creation of the illusion.

Sculpting the pristine, untainted threads, Gaeden realized energy was the same everywhere with minor differences connecting each wire to its intended element or mental complexety. But he was not creating the same item, only a illusion of it. The twisting fibers were his to form, and Gaeden only had to create a similar pattern of the floating wires. Picking another thread and implementing it into his weave, the magling continued this process. The energies he picked where light and windy, their colours were white, crystal and blue. Although the pigment of the strands did not copy the object, he molded them into his own illusion. One after another the weave began to grow steadily and soon they formed the same pattern which was in the metallic rock. Gaeden shaded the bright light threads black and ominous, picturing the block and creating the same glum color.

The next step for the magling was to create a bridge between the magickal plane and the physical level. A traverse between the mortal plane to the immortal plane. Gaeden envisioned the intended illusion; it had remained the centre of his focus during the entire exercise. Allowing the weave run freely through him and create the illusion in front of the other students' eyes. He continued to channel them until the entire weave would begin to float on the physical plane.
Last edited by Guest on Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adrian Elsonrae

Darkness?

Ssinith recalled the dark sphere of sweat and energy that the priest of Molten made... maybe since the sphere was black, it would be a good start to use darkness energy in order to mimick the darkness and shadow of it.

He put his hands out in front of him, allowing a little shadow under his arms and started to have the cube at about half the size, trying to at least get shape, dimention and light effect before anything else. He tried to make the shadow energies into sheets and trying to at least get the shape down.

"Suggestions on types of energy, professor?"

Post by Guest »

Gilanor kept the framework in his mind intact as he continued to try and allow different energies he gathered flow into the place where he envisioned the framework of the stone cube. When energies of the stone, though in harmony with the cube failed to move into the framework he released them again carefully. Letting them leak away through the grounding he had created into the stone floor under the classroom.

Gathering up dark energy from the various shadows within the room, those shadows under the chairs, cast by the individual students even the stone itself. As the energy trickled inwards he tried to let the darkness flow into the framework. Hoping that the delicate nature of the shadows energies would be more easily applied in this weaving.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Slow burns passed as each student concentrated upon their illusions. Each focused on a patch of empty space before them willing their creations to appear.

The first cube to appear was Gaeden's. It hung in the air black and lusterless just like the one on the pedastal and the one before the now dwarven professor. The color was perhaps a little off and the dimensions slightly smaller but only a truly keen eye would notice. The illusion remained stable under the force of his concentration.

The professor nodded once in recognition.

Ssinith and Gilanor found themselves experiencing the same problem. The energy of shadow was plentiful in the chamber and weaved easily into the form they demanded. Dark black cubes appeared before both of them. However, the shadows refused to remain where they were placed. The walls of the cube buckled and rippled the moment their concentration wavered for even a moment.

The dwarf grumbled under his beard. "Can ye not see what is before your eyes?" The professor growled and made twisting motions with both his hands. Both Ssinith and Gilanor found a perfect cube hovering by their own efforts. Once more the students could see that the professor's cubes were made up of twists of air and shadow with those knots weaved into the shape of the cube. "Light and shadows are cast; air flows. That is their nature." The professor rumbled. "Tie one to the other and they hold each other enough to obey your will to remain where placed."

Of the three students in the back, two had half-sized versions of the cube before them, but they were very pale. In fact their faces were visible through them.

The last remained concentrating with nothing before him.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

Drawing in energies from the air and light Gilanor added them to the mixture as such. Using the framework in his mind he twisted the strands of the three energies together like braiding hair. Then mentally tying one end of a strand about a corner of the cube he started to gently weave the strand about the framework.

Mentally drawing the braided strands from one side of a cube face to another, and from one side of the cube to the other. The strands not only started crossing from side to side, but across each other so they would hold each other in place. He kept focused as he drew the strands across the surface of the cude the darkness of shadow facing out to display the darkness of the stone without.

Return to “Gulanadur Archive”