The Sorceror's Tower [Night of Sam 19]

Moderator: Mods

Torc Blackfoot
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Torc Blackfoot »

Torc was become confused by the anger between Fauna and Becca, both had wanted to take direct measures in the summoning, but that would only lead to death. As Fauna went on he began to feel ashamed of his feelings. I felt like Fauna was trying to seduce him, and with Becca pointing it out he did truly feel ashamed. He had Alexandrya to think about, for his feelings for her were much greater then anything about Fauna. However, he was saved from an awkward response when the old man had decided to speak.

Torc began to wonder why the Old Scholar was so concerned with the comings and goings of these peoples; couldn’t he just make a ward around them? Couldn’t he just force them from his room? Either way, Torc played no more attention to the few who still remained except for those that were of the Mage Hunters. As Torc thought more and more about the Ice Wall he remembered a tale that Blaire use to tale him around a campfire.

“You aren’t taking about The Ice Wall from one of the many child’s tales that I have heard. Blaire told me the story of a Great City of Man where seven white towers stood. Each tower was for the king’s sons, and on this day the king asked for all of them to return from fighting the Great Battle to announce his heir. The King sought tradition and named his oldest the heir, yet the oldest was lustful for power and murdered the king. His brothers found out and charge him with treason, and then a civil war broke out among the populace. People choose which Prince they thought would become a greater king. While the fighting occurred the demon horde found itself at the gates of the city, so weaken from the infighting the city could not stand to such an onslaught. A few of the remanding princes stood on the walls of the city to defend it against the daemons. They were slain as well as their army.”

“Yet it bought enough time for the people of the city to flee. They ran over ice and snow hoping that each mile would save them from the horrors that waited. It was the people’s faith in the One that truly saved them, for as the daemons sought to kill and destroy the refuges the One cast down a might wall. It was made of ice and snow so thick and so cold that no daemon or foul creature of the Three Planes could breach it. This wall was known as the Ice Wall. Some say that it’s at the core of the Howling Ice Mountains and that if you dig deep enough you will fine the Ice Wall underneath the rock and stone. Yet I have the feeling that even when Blaire told it to me, the telling had changed so many times that it had truly become a child’s tale. The story goes on to tell of how the refuges fought the heathen adhiel to find a promise site for a new city, which is now called the King’s Court.”

Torc looked down for a moment, realizing that a heathen adhiel might be in this very room. In fact everyone here might just be a pagan and Torc realized that he probably shouldn’t quote anymore about the One and pagan gods.

Post by Guest »

OOC: Thank you! I won't wait too long to get things rolling, but I will hold up the action to be sure those still involved with the thread can reassert themselves before we get too far forward.

"Hmm..." responded the old man as one of his poorly-kept hands found its way to his whiskered chin. His fingernails were long and unattractive, with a dull ochre coloring to them that spoke of personal neglect. "The Howling Ice Mountains, you say? Well, the basis of your account is not unlike others I've heard, though the particulars are understandably different. Every local culture seems to have its own interpretation of that legend, and after you've heard enough of them, the picture becomes more and more clear."

All at once, the old man stopped speaking and seemed to really notice his guests. Glancing around, he appeared somewhat confused and embarrassed. "I have forgotten myself in my meditations and my age. I beg you will forgive me. I haven't the proper seating here to offer all," he muttered, glancing around with abject impatience. He motioned to Fauna to take the only seat present in the room, though even as he did this several more sprouted from the floor like so many bushes that grew in the blink of an eye. Torc recognized the seats as the sturdy, simple constructions seen at the Ghearan college in World's Mouth, seats that featured cast iron sidings with low, modest arms.

"Now. Where were we? Ah yes. I could tell you several more versions of the same legend that I've heard elsewhere, but it all ends in much the same way," he continued, his tall, narrow form silhouetted against the hearth. "...and all of these stories end similar to yours...with the evil host trapped in the Ice Wall. Now I ask you, colleagues...what might you deduce from such a legend if it were genuinely true?"
Torc Blackfoot
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Torc Blackfoot »

“Ahhhhhhh. Now these are chairs! Truly excellent choice, Sage.” Sitting down Torc felt the fullness of wood and iron fitting comfort his bum and back. The polished wood formed with his back while the iron hand rails gave the impression to push instead of relax upon. Torc crossed his left hand around his chest while his right went to stroking his face looking for a chance spot that Torc didn’t shave.

“If the legend is true? Well, I suppose that any break in the Ice Wall were to happen it would signal the second Great Battle… Ha ha ha ha ha. Sorry, Sage I don’t mean to jest, but if the legend was true? Well I suppose then we must believe there exists an Ice Wall. If that’s true and it was created by the One, then we must assume that nothing less powerful then the Enemy can break it down or the One. So since daemons and other forms of darkness are held behind or in the Wall, then perhaps there are creatures trying to break them out. If so they must be on this side, since the Wall was to ward against such creatures on one side. I would also assume some kind of guardian was put there to watch the wall and maybe repair it…”

“Anyway, If and I mean IF someone or something was smart enough and had the forethought to distract the Guardian or Guardians. Then was able to have the power to break bits and pieces… which since dark energy wouldn’t work on it, it would more then likely come from the church… Then and only then I would have cause to worry. But since this is all theoretical… I mean this is all assumptions not fact. So I would assume that the daemon summoning is to find the whereabouts of an enemy that would try to tear down the wall.”
Fauna Winthrope
Student of Magick

Post by Fauna Winthrope »

"Um... I think I'm getting totally confused." Fauna Winthrope frowned and raised a plucked eyebrow. Did she hear Torc correctly? Nodding equally with the Old Wizard, the young amunic enchantress exquisitely sat on the chair, thanking the Mistress that the one she was sitting upon was comfortable enough, not the hard, wooden, spartan chair the old wizard sprouted.

"Are we talking about the Last Great War?" She asked, her eyes leveling at Torc. "I heard a different version though, this one doesn't talk about the One and any heathen adhiels..." Fauna continued cooly.

"But anyway," She changed the subject with a graceful flicker of her slim, well manicured hand. "If the legend is true, I think the fabric between the Nether and the Tether is about to be thorn." And she gasped out loud.

"Oh dear!" Her face really looked worried. "I'm not totally dressed for such an occasion." She sighed. "I guess what I'm wearing would have to do." And carefully smoothed her gossamer gown. "Or would you happen to have an Audrey Collection knocking around here?" Fauna gave the old wizard a hopeful look.

"I so totally agree with what Torc deduced, not about his version of the story though." She concluded, buffing her fingernails and gave him a flirtatious smile.
"Cruelty has a Human Heart,
Jealousy a Human Face,
Terror the Human Form Divine,
and Secrecy the Human Dress."

-- William Blake
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

Post by Ashtallion Urdil »

Ashtallion remained standing, his hands secreted way now into the arms of his robes, thankful to the Father of Heaven that the Old One had finally spoken up....perhaps his meditations were deep. Deeper than the likes of which Asht ever ventured into. Despite the hinderence, Ashtallion found he could hold no spite or ill feeling towards the Old Wizard. Banishing the thoughts, he focused his concentration on the the words spilling from the mouths of those arrayed before him.

He knew nothing of the...Ice Wall....of which the Old One spoke, and so deemed it that he would best serve the conversation by remaining silent for now so as to allow the Wizard to explain the concept...or thing...more clearly.

Post by Guest »

The old man seemed to animate with his guests' answers. "Yes, yes! The Great War...a very sad moment in our distant past. I have collected and chronicled a thousand different pieces of evidence of it...first hand accounts of the fighting and the loss of life, as related by many of the surviving refugees. And many of these accounts are of the evil horde itself. It was Malagath's treachery that brought the darkness upon us then...but he could not have wrought such a host on his own, nor could he have lead them adequately. He had assistance from his dark, twisted Gods."

Spying one of the sturdy, institutional chairs, the old man seated himself in one of these, a process that both looked and sounded painful and exhausting to him. Once seated, the man crossed his legs and seemed almost to fidget, as if he were nervous or excited. "It is here we come to the experiment we will attempt today. For you see, many of these accounts point towards a beast that helped to lead Malagath's treacherous army. An officer of hell, if you will...a gift from the nether. In truth, many such heroes among hell's horde are mentioned, but one in particular is described similarly by a dozen different sources. One of these sources actually gives him a name, which I will unveil later, lest we risk its attention too early. This particular creature continued to lead Malagath's evil army even after the betrayers death, always riding at the forefront of his army upon his massive, unspeakable steed and wearing his dark, bleeding armors."

"We will attempt to summon this demon. My notes refer to it as Hell's General, and I've learned that the creature is in fact a demon of some great standing. But this summoning will be...unusual. Perhaps now you all may begin to see why he might tell us much, even without words? He might teach us all something about whether or not the fabric of the tether truly is tearing, or if this is merely a convenient explanation for a simpler, more dreadful truth."
Torc Blackfoot
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Torc Blackfoot »

After seeing Fauna flirt not just with him but the sage as well, Torc felt a little disgusted with the woman. Perhaps Becca was right, Fauna seemed to have a weak personality filled with shallow comments of clothes and appearance. The woman was dangerous not because her mind was weak, no from the sharp comments about Becca she was smart, but she would be weak due to her expectations. If she didn’t get not only the respect but the feel of control she was going to be clouded in her judgments and Torc was beginning to wonder about himself.

I might be expected to carry too much energy, or perhaps know more then Becca. Torc closed his eyes for a moment and merely summoned the courage not to have doubts. His strength would have to be enough; his knowledge was going to be enough. He was strong in mind as well as soul. Upon opening his eyes, Torc saw Fauna’s smile, he moved a little to his left and patted Becca’s knee for assurance. He decided to give her a look and motion his head for her to jump in.

Afterward Torc went back to looking at the Sage and spoke, “Sage, perhaps I am also confused? This…” Torc used his hands as if to grab a word from the air, “Daemon might know a great deal about what happened during the Great War, but I hardly think he knows of any new information. He has been kept behind the Ice Wall with his troops. How could he have any knowledge of the now, if he is still behind it?” Torc had a puzzled look on his face.

When Torc looked agin he examined the Sage with clearer view. “Sage, are you saying that not only is there an Ice Wall that exists in the Tether, but that Ice Wall itself is woven from the barrier that keeps the Nether and Tether apart? Therefore the darkness that the Wall holds back isn’t just physical beings here in this plane, but is also a patch over an existing hole that some prince rendered a thousand yarhen ago. Which means the Daemon, who we are here to summon, not only is in contact with his brethren, but also has been assembling troops to once again go threw the rip?”

Post by Guest »

"No, I didn't say that, lad. You said that...and while I admit it isn't impossible...a very potent theory...I suggest a simpler, more direct explanation than that," answered the old man with a perplexed smile. "The general is a great demon, one with vast powers at his command. He isn't unique in this..I suspect there are least a few like him...but he was a terrible, potent force upon this world when he was first sent from the nethers. It was good that he and his horde were stopped and encased in ice, for this was our salvation so long ago...but nothing suggests that he ever left our world. After all, the Ice Wall is here, not in the nethers...and therefore he is here. And ice, sadly enough, can melt."

He was silent for a time, his eyes drifting away to settle upon nothing at all as his vast mind considered some other possibility or conundrum he could not properly comprehend, some magnificent, philosophical secret that eluded his vast experience and intelligence. Finally, he seemed to give up, his frail shoulders lifting slightly as he shrugged in defeat. Glancing over at Fauna, he finally spoke. "What in creation is an Audrey Collection?"
Fauna Winthrope
Student of Magick

Fauna's head went back and forth between teh old wizard and Torc, greatly perplexed by the flowing words that was coming out of the young man, it is to note that her deep cerulean eyes were beginning to glaze over and then the old geezer had a bout of apoplexy regarding her last statement.

The young enchantress laughed out a peal of silvery laughter and regarded the wizard with an amused gaze. "I'm sorry, Learned One. I was just being a droll." She apologized with a sheepish yet elegant smile. "Do not clutter your mind with aesthetics such as an Audrey's Collections." Then she sighed, wishing that things should be uncomplicated.

"Let's hold on to our hourses a bit here, Sirs." The young blond, buxomed mage interrupted. "I think you better explain things clearly, old wizard. All these theories and conjuctions out of thin air are clouding my mind and I'm like so totally confused. I am only a girl..." She purred, "With a bit of fashion sense."

"Now, Sir," she continued. "You mentioned earlier that the summoning will be a bit unusual..." She trailed off and elegantly frowned at the Old Wizard. "What do you mean by unusual?" She prayed and hoped that no virgin sacrifice will be made, but if there was, Fauna would be happy to volunteer Becca and she gave the young woman her friendliest smile.

"And can we have YOUR version of what the Ice Wall is and what goals are we to accomplish?" She asked a bit impatiently, "And please, Learned One, try to uncomplicate things. My mind is getting clouded by the burning moments."
Jealousy a Human Face,

-- William Blake
Becca Acerbi
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Becca Acerbi »

Paying more attention would probably be a good thing. Or at least, listening with more than half an ear. With that thought in mind, Becca stopped flicking through the books - she caught something about "Ice Wall," and Fauna's voice - and pulled one off the shelves. It looked vaguely familiar, but that could've just been the runes.

The girl turned back to the room, leaning her hip against the bookcase and sort-of listening to Torc speak. "'The One'?" she asked absently. "The One what?" A pause, and a puzzled frown. "I'm sure I've read that one." Realising that Himself was saying pretty much the same thing, Becca fell silent for once, contently herself with amazement at his nails (Her own rivalled his in length, but there was no way in hell or out of it that she'd let them get into that state. Gods, she'd hate to be old.) and amusement at the fact that he was producing chairs from the floor. Clasping her hands over the book, she obediently sat down in the closest chair, smiling and murmuring thanks before returning to the book. She heard snatches of the conversation, but wasn't properly listening to it until Torc brought her back into it.

Her expression was a little bewildered, as it usually was when she'd been startled out of a book, but she gave him a smile and looked around to see what had brought it on. Fauna probably. THERE was a surprise. The smile turned reassuring and faintly amused. Faintly amused smiles turned to giggles though at Himself's bewilderment - it was probably unkind, but she couldn't help it.

Becca closed the book, listening properly now, despite the fact that she'd probably missed the important parts. "We're summoning one of the major forces of the Nether, one that had to be encased in ice to hold him last time. And this time it'll be a handful of mages, most of them students, in charge of controlling him and sending him back. Is anyone else seeing a problem here?" The girl smiled wryly and shrugged. "For once, I agree with the duchess. I'd like to know more about the rituals for getting him here and getting him back. If they involve living sacrifices or something, speak now. If they involve sacrificing virgins, I'm out of here. Not only is it the biggest cliché I can think of, but..." She eyed Fauna warily and sceptically. "Well, the less said about it the better." The look said it all anyway, so there was no point in words. Becca trusted Fauna's smiles a lot - they seemed to be a fairly standard indication of when she was plotting something. And while Becca couldn't force the woman to grow a few braincells, she could irritate her a little. She would settle for that. Didn't solve the problem, but it entertained her.
<Becca> I am all in favour of getting Elvin laid. I am not in favour of getting Becca blown to little squishy bits
<Sevti> That's a sig line if I ever heard one.
Avatar drawn by the amazing Finn!

Post by Guest »

"Well," responded the old man, nodding at Fauna. "It will be unusual in that..." he paused, as Becci's words found some hold upon his psyche. Turning, he glared at the other woman with a look of at first surprise that visibly grew to one of contempt and anger, a rage that contorted his face and lit his eyes with a glaring fire.

"Sacrifices, you say? Virgin sacrifices?" he repeated, glancing towards Torc as if to confirm what he had only just heard. He fixed his enraged eyes upon Becci once more and spoke, his voice dripping with impatience and venom and his gnarled, animated hand pointing out towards the object of his anger. "Get Out! Get Out this instant! Sacrifices...Pah! I will think nothing of what those miserable, primitive charlatans have taught you at your silly, hedge school! Or perhaps what they haven't bothered to teach you, which clearly includes some measure of manners! And perhaps when we're done sacrificing one another, we'll sup upon raw boar with our bare hands? Or sit around a fire in a wet cave and lick salt? Be gone this instant, or you'll spend this evening as a cockroach!"

Whisking his hand to once side, the door to the rather sparse study flew upon with a resounding crash that send a wave of air floating back towards them. The old man merely glared at Becci, his voice having left him in his displeasure and his hand outstretched and pointed towards the door.
Fauna Winthrope
Student of Magick

Fauna sighed her bosom and rolled her eyes heavenward. Why me? The young dark sorceress cooly watched the display of anger and apoplexy the old wizard was showing. She knew that if this continued, and if Becca would reply, things would get muddied up and the young sorceress wouldn't want that happening.

She looked around her, at Asht, Torc and Becca and realized that she was the only who can handle the theatrics of the old wizard. She had a lot of practice, with Professor Tarrant, Professor Peckertons, the nerdy students in the University campus and even Professor Baldeserrato and if she was willing, the young Amunite can have the old wizard rolling in the palm of her hand if she wanted to. And that what was she was about to do.

The young enchantress gave Becca a "shut up and don't say a word and let me handle this" look. Gracefully, Fauna stood up, composed herself, her deep cerulean eyes suddenly twinkled as if the sun was shining through the back of her vacant blond head and sensously walked the distance between the Old Wizard, her bosom, under her thin gossamer veil gown was heaving up and down in a slow, rhythmic, sensual manner.

"Oh dear! My Learned One," Fauna purred and moaned at the same time, her voice sweet and honeycombed, trying to sooth and mellow down the old man by diverting his attention back to her and her bobbing bosom, "this discussion must have taxed you greatly, have a care about your health." She came close and trailed her fingers along his arms.

"She's just a silly girl," The young perky mage continued soothingly as she leaned closer and whispered in his ears. "dont mind her, you're a wise and powerful man, too powerful perhaps and too civilized to have this fit. She's just a student and she doesn't know anything. I don't even know half of what you're discussing, my learned one." There was a catch on her breathy voice when she mentioned his title and gave him the full impact of her sensual smile.

"I mean, what can we do, Becca and I, two innocent and virgin maidens against your power and manly wisdom? The first time I beheld your intellect, I felt my loins quiver and I thought, there is no man compared to his intellect. I'm pretty sure, Miss Acerbi here didn't know what she was talking about and I'm pretty sure she's just awed and nervous by your manly presence. And besides, those foolish professors in the University of Magick doesn't have the aota of brains compared to you. Let's leave this nonesense of turning everyone into roaches and continue our discussion."

She leaned ever closer and brushed her bosom upon his arm and whispered, "I am anticipating and quivering with wanton desire the words that you will be discussing..." She moaned sweetly upon his ears and quickly backed it up by subtly tapping into her inner energies and weaving a simple charm spell to mellow down the Old Wizard and allure him to her words.

"Now, you were talking about the summoning ritual, the hell's general and the crack in the Ice wall?" She gently prompted and directed him back to discussion and gave the rest of them her most perkiest, vacant, innocent look.
Last edited by Fauna Winthrope on Fri Jun 03, 2005 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jealousy a Human Face,

-- William Blake
Torc Blackfoot
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Torc Blackfoot »

Torc looked pain and disgusted at the way Fauna was handling Becca’s slip up. Not to mention it would do more harm then good, saying that the both of them were too ignorant not to suggest such a thing. His health? Pah! Fauna’s worried about not getting her wish.

Torc briefly squeezed Becca’s leg in reassurance, then he put his hands in a prayer pose. Separating them with his palms up and moving them to the sides, Torc made the Mouth’s gesture of peace. An old adhiel had told him that such a gesture was done to show two things. One was that you had nothing concealed and the other was that you had nothing to steal.

“Sage, I am not a word smith or a poet to offer you excuses and apoligies. I am simply a mage’s apprentice and though compared to your wisdom and intellent, I am a very young apprentice indeed. Yet, I wish to offer a logical reason for Becca’s behavior. We were talking about child’s tales with the Ice Wall and the Great War. Granted it seems both exist now, but still to us they were bedtime stories and campfire haunts. I too wondered about the ritual and if a sacrifice was needed, whether just a pin prick of blood or the old tales of virgins for dark magics.”

“I must say though I kept such thoughts to myself, Sage. Becca just had the curiosity to bring up matter. Hopefully threw age and wisdom, Becca will understand the social consequences of such curiosity. I am sure Becca will apologize for the insult,” Torc looked at Becca sternly, “Because even I would be quite mad if one called me a godless heathen practicing dark hedge magicks.” He looked back at the Sage, with his furious anger.

“Besides Sage, I would have you save your strength for the casting of the weave, and not waste it on a just punishment. You spoke of it being dangerous enough without tiring oneself beforehand. All I ask Sage is that you listen to my advice and understand that not everyone can help their curiosity.” Torc bowedwith respect, within the chair , it was a difficult pose if one hadn’t practiced it… and the One knew Torc had pratice.

Silently, Torc spoke a prayer to the One that Becca would have the good enough grace to apologize for her offense.
Becca Acerbi
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Becca Acerbi »

(OOC: Holy... *ducks under desk*)

Becca stared at him, eyes wide. Through the rant she looked like couldn't decide whether to laugh, cry, or start screaming back. Seeing as he could probably go through with the cockroach threat, it might be better not to start arguing. Becca clenched her hands into fists in her lap, schooling her (mostly bewildered) expression into something that felt normal enough - she'd had practice faking calm - but it looked forced, eyes focusing on the floor in front of her. She didn't dare even look up when Fauna started talking, or smile, or even look disgusted. Becca planned to wait until she could walk out without making a bigger fool of herself, or until Himself didn't seem ready to jump down her throat for being ignorant.

Becca looked up, almost as startled again when Torc squeezed her leg. She kept staring at him, then when he was done, she reached across and grabbed his hand, squeezing it gratefully for a second, before she let go.

Apology first, then cockroach, then running like hell on however many legs it left her.

Becca stood up and started to clasp her hands behind her, but she stopped and forced herself to keep them at her sides. Meeting the Old Man's gaze - if it wasn't on Fauna - was harder, but she did it. "I'm sorry sir. I meant no offence." 'I hadn't thought that people WOULD take offence, but there you go. When do I think people are going to be offended?' "I didn't mean to upset you. I don't know much - if anything - on summoning apart from fifth hand tales and superstition. I just wanted to ask - I didn't mean to imply anything or suggest - " Becca stopped and put a hand to her head. She'd been clenching her hands into fists without realising, digging her nails in. There was a nice set of crescents on her palm. "I'm sorry," she repeated. "I probably should've phrased it better, or not asked. I didn't mean to..." Becca stopped and dropped her hands and her gaze. She'd meant her apology, however clumsy and stuttery it had been. If that deserved being a cockroach, fine. Becca bit her lip and wove her way through the chairs to the door, preparing to run like hell if Himself looked as though he might follow through with his threat.
<Becca> I am all in favour of getting Elvin laid. I am not in favour of getting Becca blown to little squishy bits

Post by Guest »

Even as she approached, Fauna was surprised to find the man so tall, a characteristic she did not notice or that had not existed previously. Nearly seven feet he stood when he did mind his posture, though until now he remained bent and almost feeble such that his height was less certain. The old man might have been made of oak for as much attention he gave Fauna as she spoke. She could tell in an instant that her overtures...her demure, supplicating approach...did little to assuage the sudden, blistering rage of the sorcerer and, if anything, served only to stoke his displeasure and redirect it towards her. He turned his angry gaze, staring at her face with open disbelief and a growing sneer even as Torc spoke.

Something of Torc's words seemed to have reached him, for the tension in his thin body visibly fell away even though the mask of rage did not. Relaxing, the old man turned away from his guests as his words continued to fire away to work out his indignation. "Such impropriety! Such idiocy! Never, even as a fledgling apprentice, have I suffered such foolishness!" he began, clasping his hands behind his back such that his gnarled knuckles became white. "One woman would speak to me as if I were her girlfriend or some fellow student at her cursed school planning some kind of childish prank! The other woman, one that would see fit to instruct me on the proper use of protection circles and wardings, believes she might lead me about with her tits like some empty-headed, adolecent courtier! What are they teaching you at that horrid place? Have you no sense of respect or moment?"

Turning back to Torc, the old man continued, though his anger seemed largely spent. "And now you would placate me with a false argument. Child’s tales and legends themselves are our business. Once upon a time it was considered a very serious one indeed. Skeptism might do well to protect the mundane peasant from that which he should fear, but it's a limit and a liability to those that would practice the Art. This legend is not only true, but the Ice Wall exists, far too the north where the lands are perpetually covered in ice and snow."

The old man seemed to notice Becci once again, and when he looked at her, his anger was no longer present, though an icy determination and conviction remained. "Perhaps I have been overly harsh, and for this I apologize. You are...perhaps unaccustomed to the world outside your academy. Let us make a pact, then. We will have no more foolish talk of heathen practices, and we will all treat each other with professional courtesy, mage or not. I should be thankful if you would at least pretended to assume I know my craft, for we will place our lives in each other's hands soon enough. Are we in agreement?" he finished, motioning Becci towards one of the chairs with a dismissive cast of his hand.
Torc Blackfoot
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Torc Blackfoot »

Torc kept his posture of bowed respect. He didn’t feel his argument was false, he now accepted that the man had done enough research to prove the existence of the Ice Wall and Daemon General, he merely suggested that if they were real why not believe the tales of the sacrifices. Yet Torc kept his calm in the rage the Sage directed… If the man couldn’t see it afterwards, then it didn’t really matter, as long as the Sage kept his promise.

“My sincere apoligies, Sage, I shall pray that my arguments will become true one day. If I have offend then the fault belongs with my character. Anyway, I am in agreement, and wish to continue with the details of the summoning if it pleases you Sage.” Torc hoped his request wasn’t offensive or rude, but if they were to avoid any more such misconceptions then Torc hoped the Sage would continue so they could all be prepared.
Fauna Winthrope
Student of Magick

ooc: "She may lead about with her tits..." Nicely put Somnia! :p

ic: Fauna's eyes widened as the Old Wizard seemed to have grown before her very blue eyes and her red lips parted in a small "o" when she realized, this was no common mortal or common race of human. This old wizard was something else entirely and her mindcraft and wiles of persuasion didn't seem to penetrate his aged and oaken stiff mind.

She pouted her red lips and gracefully gestured her hands heavenward as if in defeat. The young amunic, dark sorceress did try to woo and persuade the old wizard but she merely had spilt her oil and effort, knowing that any further acts of seducement and wooing should trully have him in a fit of raging apoplexy.

The blonde mage will not give an apology though. She composed herself, fixed her hair and her ephemeral gown and sauntered elegantly back to her divan chair and sat once again. If the Old Geezer wanted her to act in a professional manner, she will give him one, unless a lap dance is what he had in mind of a professional behavior and she would happily oblige Torc or Asht for that matter.

Courteously, Fauna nodded and agreed with Torc, "Do please continue, Learned One with what we are discussing, I assure you that the tits that might be leading you is now leashed." She said in her straight, courteous flawless face.
Last edited by Fauna Winthrope on Sat Jun 04, 2005 10:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jealousy a Human Face,

-- William Blake

Post by Guest »

While the old man was clearly too swift to anger...a likely reason why he remained in his tower alone...he was very swift to forget such rage as well, a common situation for his kind. In the next moment, he spoke as if nothing at all had interrupted him, his face returned to the clearly false mask of complaisance and venerability as his breath steamed out from his mouth like smoke from a fire in the very cool air.

"Where were we? Ah, yes! You ask why this summoning will be unusual. A fair question, with a direct answer. We don't know that the demon we seek is in the Nether at all. In fact, if my theory holds, he is not...and we will merely summon him from within the Ice Wall. This is precarious, and frankly, I'm not certain what condition the creature will be in when he arrives. We may find him frozen solid...or we may not. He may have escaped to the Nether in the time of legends...or, if we realize the worst, he may have remained, and his ice prison is...failing. If this is true, then we need look to tearing fabrics no longer to understand why the darkness does beseige the Tether, for if this...hellish general remained here along with his minions, and his presence would go far to explain the situation more adequately."

"Now, this complexity shouldn't give you pause, for it should be a traditional summoning, like any other. But the risk is greater due to the demon involved, the potential that our summoning is imperfect, or the Ice Wall does affect it in some unusual way. I'm prepared to take the necessary precautions to insure your safety, but before I share with you the particulars of what we will attempt, I would like your thoughts on my theory, for I'm far too experienced to cast away the valuable opinions of younger, fresher, more objective minds. What do you think of this theory? From what you might know of the Ice Wall, do you consider it plausible?"
Torc Blackfoot
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Torc Blackfoot »

Torc thought about the theory as he rose from his posture. Stroking his chin and while leaning back on the chair, Torc spoke his thoughts out loud. “Well Sage, to review the ideas and facts. One, the Ice Wall was conceived by the One, or Dominicus, to seal the daemon horde forever. So we can assume that a God, or Gods for those who don’t believe in my faith, have more power and understanding about magic then a dozen mages of the time. So I would also assume that the wall was made to be unbreakable versus Dark Magick’s that Daemons possess as well as the natural forces of the world.”

“If anything it shouldn’t be tearing… However I remember a verse about free will, and how it’s the only thing that the One can not predict. So the daemon could not have escaped on his own, but people might have used forces, from magics to pick axes to free him. Let’s assume that if he was free, the very world we live in would have seen and felt it across nations. So since I haven’t heard of Daemon hordes or huge armies controlled and possessed, I think the answer is that he is still in the Ice Wall at this flicker.”

Torc thought about it a flicker more then continued, “Sage, if I may interject. A traditional summoning may not work. I know very little about summoning, but I understand wards. If a ward was laid down by a God and it was meant to hold the physical and mental presence of the dark forces… Wouldn’t it be easier to send our minds to it? Nothing stops us from viewing or perhaps communicating to the daemon in his prison, and nothing should oppose us from leaving since we are not the forces of darkness. If we could keep one person here to anchor a line of our energies, then wouldn’t it be slightly safer then bringing the daemon here and trying to form shields around it to protect us?” Torc wonder where his thoughts were coming from, then again he knew that he fear tearing the Wall because the summon something inside of it.

"But yes in your response to your question it does seem plausible."
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

Ashtallion's hand was quick to grasp the hilt of the Pelegrim as the Old Wizards' tempered flared in a bout of words and anger. He knew Becci had not meant to cause offense and that her apology was sincere, as such he would not have stood by and allowed the Old One to discard as he had intended, thankfully Torc interjected and cooled the Wizard's seething expression, an act that added a bonus point in his favour from Asht. Torc was level headed and not prone to allowing his emotions to rule him, such was his own observations of half adhiel... for all Asht knew they could turn out to be unfounded. Nevertheless, he was prepared to give Torc a certain amount of trust should the need arise.

Loosening his grip on the hilt of his blade, Asht listened intently to the words and theory spoken by the Old Wizard, a sound and possible one, yet Torc's comments were also valid. " I am inclinged to agree with Torc and his thoughts, though I would think that even Dominicus...the so called One God....and I will admit i know little of him, must have a weakness....this world holds powerful magicks, I have seen an example of them, and I would stretched to say that there exists power enough to even undo the work of a God. ", he paused a moment, thinking over his words, wondering if they simply sounded foolish, he cared little, it was merely his thought. " As I said though I would agree with Torc, surely it would be easier and more secure to send our minds out to the Demon instead of summoning this Power here. Who knows, our effort may be the thing it requires to unshackle it. "
Becca Acerbi
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Becca Acerbi »

(OOC: Fauna, if the shoe fits, who are we to disagree? :P *ducks*)

Becca gaped at him for a few seconds, before she caught herself and stopped. "I'll do my best sir," she told him, stopping herself from curtsying and forgetting that she'd made a similar promise to Mr Urdil not ten minutes ago. "And I do think you know what you're doing," Mostly, anyway. Her voice went very quiet. "That's why I asked."

Becca started back to her seat once they started talking again, skirting Himself warily, still half-expecting him to... Well, to do SOMETHING. Professional courtesy or not, she'd rather stay out of his reach until she was certain he'd calmed down. Or at least calmed down as much as someone who over-reacted that much could.

The girl stopped when she got to Torc, then hugged him impulsively. She let him go quickly and sat back in her chair, a small smile on her face. "I owe you one," she murmured. "And I will owe you more if you could please stop me before I ask Himself another question. I don't care if you have to kick me to do it, just stop me."

The girl started playing with her hair again, unbraiding and rebraiding it quickly. "I can't say I know much about summoning demons, or sending my mind anywhere, but I think Mr Urdil's right about one thing - it could use the summoning to get out for good if we -" She stopped and put a hand to her head. "Are you going to yell at me for doubting you?" she asked with her eyes closed. "I didn't mean that. I meant that if Himself came here, then we might not be able to get him back. That's if Torc was right and it took a god to get rid of him last time." Another pause. "I'm digging myself a deeper hole, aren't I?"

'Just stop talking, girl. That way you can't put your foot in it any more than you already have. And if Himself doesn't blow up at you, make sure to ask people to stop you talking at all. If nothing else, the Duchess'll probably be happy to rip your tongue out.' Sound advice, which Becca promptly followed, returning to her hair, braiding it again - this time getting her fingers snarled into it as well.

Post by Guest »

"Hmm," responded the old man. "You're very right...very right indeed. A summons might release the very same demon from the Ice Wall. But if that proves to be the case, well...we need simply banish it while it struggles within our protective circle. In truth, we would be doing a great service in removing it from our world and returning it to the hell from which it came."

"You have presented an argument that such a summons may fail due to the divine protection of that Wall, but I wish you to consider this. The Ice Wall predates the very books of the One used as that faith's dogma, and even if there were such protections upon it, our summons would only fail, and we would have risked nothing. While it might be a more practical solution to...visit the beast as you have also prescribed, I frankly don't know a way to succeed in such a task. I don't know exactly where the general is frozen, or even if he truly is frozen in the Ice Wall, so going to him might present some difficulties. Unless you know of some method I do not?"

The old man waved his hand, a movement followed shortly by the rush of magic in the air, a minor trickle that animated the floor of his study very near to where his guests sat. The floor sank such that it formed a circular stair that lead deeper into the depths of his tower. "The truth is, I believe the demon is still frozen, but his mind...and more importantly, his spirit...may already be active. With such influence in this world, he could easily trick others to do his work for him, opening these tears between our world and the nether that you've mentioned. Even the spirit of a demon is a powerful thing, able to dazzle and confuse the untrained masses. Perhaps you will all adjourn with me to a room below that I have cleared for our task? We will consider upon other options while we form our strategy to insure a safe summoning of the demon."
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

Asht stared at the descending stair well, and then glanced at the Old Mage. Perhaps a trick and a trap, maybe the Old One meant to lure them into a spiders web and steal there souls. Outlandish thinking, Asht!, he reprimanded himself before steppin forward. " I'll go first, shall I? ", he looked around the group, wondering if the others would volunteer to go before him, though he doubted it greatly.

Casting another look at the Old Man, he rose hand into the air, sinking into his world of magic, pulling at the sparkling white threads of light, weaving them into a ball of light...but lacing the threads with more dangerous energy incase there lay some hideous creature at the bottom, waiting for them. He nodded at the Old Man, " May I? "
Fauna Winthrope
Student of Magick

“Dear heavens no!” Fauna cried out, her eyes wide with trepidation. “We cannot do that! We cannot go to the deamon, as what the Learned One said earlier, he is still unsure whether the demon is in the Ice Wall or in the Nether. All he said were conjunctions of theories and I for one would not want to base such knowledge to just mere guess. What if the Deamon is in the Nether? I know how to divine with the mind, that I am quite proficient and opening my mind and searching for a deamon who might be in a place where we are at a disadvantage is sheer folly. Our minds might get trapped into the Nether for untold yahrens and the Deamon can utterly posses our unprotected body, our connection as his way out of the Nether, that I will not do.” She harumphed with much indignation.

“If we cast our summoning here with all the wardings we can weave, we may have a chance.” She paused and turn to each of the mages with a serious in her bright blue eyes. “Look, fact one: We are still unsure where the demon is. Fact Two: We don’t know if the Ice Wall is bridged or real and Fact Three: We don’t know if the deamon is imprisoned or back in the Nether.” She interjected her facts with her fingers.

“We cannot conclude that the demon is tucked safely in the prison of the Ice Wall and going there is sheer folly. Actually, doing all of these is sheer folly, but I want the foolish actions where I may be alive in the end. I will not have my mind wander aimlessly around looking for a demon we don’t where it is located. Here, we can be protected and safe and we have our advantage. My vote is summoning the demon with as much as protection and wardings around us.”
Jealousy a Human Face,

-- William Blake
Torc Blackfoot
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Torc Blackfoot »

After the unexpected hug from Becca, Torc patted her on the back and gave her a small push towards the door. She was unsure of herself and that was her only problem… well that and her lack of subtly at times. Confidence was something Torc could help with, subtly would have to be learned. Torc bent to pick up a candlestick on his way out. The tower stairs were sure to be dark. As he neared the door with Becca, Torc could feel the pressure of magic and its build up. Looking at Ashtallion, as the ball of light appeared, Torc hid the candle behind him. Oh well if they didn’t need the candle now then perhaps in the chamber below they would need.

Torc thought about the situation on Fauna words. Torc steeped before the sage, from the look and sound of him getting out of the chair, he might need help getting down the stairs. Torc offered his hand to the old mage for just that reason. Looking at Ashtallion he simply said, “Well I don’t suppose you mind if I follow behind you?”

Then ever so quietly Torc whispered, “Aye Miss Winthrope, against my judgment you might get what you want.” Then Torc looked at Fauna and the Old Sage. “Miss Winthrope, spoke our answer already. Sage, Divination is the one magic that can answer where he is. I might not be practiced enough at the skill to search an entire region, but apparently Miss Winthrope is. You spoke that you don’t know exactly where this daemon is, but if you know generally where the Ice Wall is, and I suppose you know the Daemons true name for the summoning. Some of the lesser divination magicks merely give a direction to the object of interest. If Miss Winthrope were to focus on the region of the Ice Wall and use the lesser magicks, then if she felt nothing, the daemon’s physical presence wouldn’t be there. However if she felt the presence, then we would know he is still in the Ice Wall.”

“And Sage just because the One’s dogma didn’t exist at the time of troubles doesn’t mean he wasn’t there, and I don’t have the authority to speculate why he would do one thing and wait hundreds of yahren to reveal. All I do know is that I try to follow the path of light. Which seems to be cloudy right now, for the one hand we talk about releasing a daemon, yet we wish information that would save people. You wish to summon it from its prision or the Nether, yet my worry is for the reason why the One choose to in prisioned it instead of banishing it. Why? You speak that we would be doing the world a great favor by banishing it, yet then why haven’t mages around the world decided to go back to the Ice Wall and set free one daemon at a time and then banish it? Too many questions about releasing this daemon remain, however if it exists in the Nether then I am not worried, about the summoning… Well not worried about destroying a divine weave.”

“It just seems that by pushing the summoning without the answer of where this daemon is… more dangerous then what logic would suggest.”

Return to “Erulzat Archives”