Lion's Heart: The First Face ~Aldym

Moderator: Mods

Lion's Heart: The First Face ~Aldym

Post by Guest »

Timestamp: Samheen 19th Morningtide
---------------------------------------------

Cold. It was the first thing Aldym felt. The sound of the wind blowing past him, and the chill of it he could feel in his very bones, was so great that it nearly drowned the noise made by the waves crashing on the beach. The sky was only grey, with no clouds even visible, seeming to stretch on for ever. Hard snow covered the land as far as he could see, with the exception of the coastline not far to his right, which ran as long as he could see.

At the distance there were faint silhouttes of two mountains against the greyness. Also, it was almost as if further inland there were black trees, long dead, yet towering over the surrounding area. Along the coast line, far away, from time to time a flicker of light could be seen. No booming voices, no shadows or anything which spoke of magic. Simply an icy shore somewhere. This was where Aldym had stepped. Behind him there was no sign of of where he came from, as if he had been simply abandoned here.

Post by Guest »

Aldym walked down to the beach, savouring the sounds and smells of the ocean - it took him back to a childhood on the docks of Dort. After a few minutes of solitary musing he began to look under the waves - surely there must be something living here, fish or seals or something. Unless of course, there wasn't - barring himself.

Post by Guest »

Aldym felt the chill creep to his bones and it was clear that if he did not find shelter, soon, this place would be his grave. He didn't see anything in beneath the surface, but the dark water did not easily show what lay in the depths. The wind howled once more, the cold feeling even worse, if possible. Again, at the distance along the shore, there was a brief flicker of light, but it was impossible to say what was causing it.

Post by Guest »

Aldym nodded to himself, before turning and trudging towards the flickering lights in the distance, thankful for the great fur cloak he had chosen to make his own some time ago. He did not walk hurridly but, not knowing how far away the light might be, in a trudging fashion that would let him keep going for the longet possiable time. As he walked, he pondered the lessons he had learnt from the books of the dead mage. What was it they had said?

There are two routes to gasping the power that must be brought under the sorcerer's will, that of the internal and that of the external.

Aldym looked around him, the howling wind and the bitter snow certainly abounded with the pure, icy power he yearned after. But what he was thinking of was probably unwise in any case - and attempting to connect himself to such a vast store of power would be foolish in the extreme. So he looked inside himself as he trudged, slowing his breathing to induce the meditative calming he had learnt long ago. He focused all his, not inconsidorable, willpower on visualising the power that he knew to be within him. Then he saw...something? So much was indistinct, but he could see something shining hard and cold amidst the indistinct wraiths that fluttered before his mind's eye. He reach for it slowly, then his fingers brushed it and he recoiled mentally - the shock so great that he stumbled and fell to the snow in the material world.

The shivering Dortman stood slowly, and began his trudging walk again. His mind whirred in confusion, what he had touched had been nothing the books of the dead mage had touched on - they had spoken of many sources of magic, yes. But that bright and searing icicle Adlym had seen had been his own proud, ambitious desire. Desire, that emotion which had motivated his entire life - from the search for intoxicants and more carnal pursuits through his life of swindle and con and even to his standing there before Professor Kensington and his stepping through that icy portal. A cold, hard dagger that drove his entire being - that hardened his heart to the pain of others and that gave him an insight into the desires of others, the better to bend them to his own design.

Aldym looked up at where the flickering lights had been, if he did not arrive in the next quater of a burn or so he would look again - already the lust for power was drawing his mind to ponder ever-more on the nature of what he had seen.

((Edit: Spelling corrections.))
Last edited by Guest on Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post by Guest »

It felt like an eternity as Aldym struggled to continue, the wind never giving up. The light would disappear for a moment, only to flicker once more. As he pushed himself forward, finally he saw something which seemed unreal when compared to the surroundings. Smoke. Smoke rising high to the sky. As he got even closer, he started to make out something.

It just stood there, a short distance from the beach. A small cottage made out of the dark wood, similar to the dead trees he saw earlier. The flicker he had seen at the distance could be seen from a window, where a black blanket shifted from time to time, revealing the blaze of a flame inside. Somebody lived here. Somebody lived in this forsaken place.

Post by Guest »

Aldym straightened out his appearance slightly and walked up to the door, rapping on it painfully with one half-frozen fist. He waited silently for a reply, one hand resting lightly on his sword hilt, the other holding his cloak tight about him - the Dortman wondered what manner of creature might choose to live in such a place as this.

Post by Guest »

There was a creak behind the door before door was opened inwards, with a man looking at Aldym from the room inside. He was old, there was no doubt about it, at least eighty, if not more. Only a few strands of hair was left on the top of his head and a full grey beard which reached his waist. There was almost no meat on his bones, standing there he almost look like a stick, with an old cloak drawn tightly around his shoulders. Yet, despite his ragged appearance, two things stuck out. First of all, there was no smell and the man actually did seem to be clean. Secondly, there was no denying the intelligent look in the eyes.

The man stared at Aldym for a moment.

"You'r not wet. One of them, eh?"

Post by Guest »

Aldym smiled thinly as he looked down at himself,

"Why I do believe you're right friend - I do appear to be one of them dry types."

He smiled whitely, making sure not to appear condescending - it never did to make the intelligent think you looked down on them - before continuing,

"I don't want to appear abrupt, but could I enter? I'm frozen to the bone out here."

Post by Guest »

The man stared at Aldym for a while longer, measuring him up and down, then shrugged and pushed the door more open while turning around and limping back inside. The warmth could already be felt at the door, embracing the shivering Aldym.

The inside of the hut was almost completely clean, with everything put in what appeared to be their place. There was a large shelf near the door, filled from bottom to the roof with texts and the papers. A large map of the Seven Kingdoms hang from another wall, marked with names and signs Aldym had not seen with such a map before. It looked ancient, but was still intact somehow. The floor was completely covered by a thick, white fur, it's color faded only near the fireplace, which held one corner of the room. Near it, another, much smaller fur was laid on floor, apparanately the bed of this man.

A delicious smell also came from the inside and Aldym soon noticed two fished being roasted above the fireplace.

"Haven't seen any dry ones for a while. Although there haven't been that much wet ones too." The man rubbed his chin. "Hope you ain't like the last one. Took me weeks to get the blood out of the rug."

Post by Guest »

Aldym smiled,

"Don't worry, I'd hate to ruin such an exquisite piece of furniture."

He glancd around again, soaking in the warmth before adressing his strange host again,

"My apologies, I am Aldym Zorastryl - lately of the University of Magic."

He gave a crisp, practiced bow at the old man and waited for a response.

Post by Guest »

The man glanced at Aldym as he sat down on the floor near the fireplace.

"Figured. You're dry after all." He felt one of the fish with his hand. "Will take a moment more. If you want one once their finished, I'm alright with it." The man reached for a bucket near his bed, washing his hands quickly in the water.

"So, tell me. What yahren is it anyway?"

Post by Guest »

Aldym nodded his gratitude, then raised an eyebrow in suprise at the question - though after a moment he shruggged it off, it was understandable that such an isolated figure would be out of touch.

The would be sorcerer gave his host the date, then stood staring out of the window, thoughts flickering through his mind. Why here? What am I supposed to do? Can I trust this man to know my path?

Post by Guest »

The man seemed to take in the date given for a few moments, then shrugged once more.

"Fify-eigth yahres, eh? I figured it had been fifty-six, but I guess it's pretty good a guess, isn't it." He made a clicking sound with his mouth. "It's been fifteen yahren's then since I last saw one of you dry ones. Been guessing that little university of yours finally came to their senses with this place, but seems I was wrong. You too looking for the Three?"

Post by Guest »

If You Wish To Seek To Know All The Faces Of The Power You Seek, Then The Path Of Ice You Must Choose. The words of the Shadow beneath the university sprang again into Aldym's mind and he hesitated before answering,

"The Three? Yes, I suppose I am. I am sent to see...the faces."

He continued staring out of the window at the snow, he had been expecting five - after all there had been five emblems in the Shadows sewer lair. Still, he had only one way to go know,

"You seem to know more of this than I - might I draw on your knowledge, friend?"

Post by Guest »

"So many years, it's hard not to pick up a thing or two." He again tried the fish. "A moment longer." The man washed his hands again. "As for the faces, you´ll just find one here. The Three are the ones you need to deal in order to get in to the Lion's Heart."

The man ran his fingers through his beard as he measured Aldym again.

"They really didn't tell you that much, did they? Although it stands to reason that they might have only a few fleeting memories of this place left, or then they just have a knack of visiting here without anybody noticing."

Post by Guest »

Aldym gave a derisive snort,

"If you mean the University, they didn't send me here. I was...given the option whilst pursuing a somewhat seperate task my master had set for me. I accepted the ...invitation. So - who, or what, are these 'Three' you speak of?

Post by Guest »

"The University didn't send you?" The man chuckled, it in a way sounded like he was choking, but he stopped, a smile almost visible beneath the thick beard. "I'd tell you that you took a too big step for your taste, but none of those before you decided to listen, and I don't think you'd be different."

Suddenly there was a great crashing sound from the outside, like something pummeled to the very core of the island and a horrific howl followed it, deep and empty of anything even remotely human. The man didn't even blink, instead he reached and took one of the fish from the fire.

"They're ready now, if you're still hungry." The man ripped a piece of the fish with his teeth, quickly chewing and swallowing it. "As for the Three, the one's who live at the this island, well besides me and Whitey and the selkies. And the fish of course." Another bite. "Although it wouldn't be fair to call us the same as them, don't think even they remember anymore when they were last flesh and blood." The man looked up. "Speaking of which, mind taking the cask from a top of the shelf. Been waiting it all night." The man tore the last of the fish, then threw the skeleton in to an empty bucket next to the fireplace.

"By the way, you aren't one of those seeking thunder and wind to control, seeing they weren't the four anymore even when I came here. Would be a shame for you to be stuck here for nothing."

Post by Guest »

Aldym glanced at the doorway at the howl, his hand sliding back to the hilt of his rapier on instinct, then he shook off the reaction and reached up for the cask,

"Thunder and wind isn't my aim, no. So tell me - where might I find these three?"

Post by Guest »

The man reached and took the casket, removing the cork from a hole at it side and took a smell from inside.

"The Three then." Another crash from the outside, with echoes following it. Hearing now, it was clear it was much farther away from the hut, but the strength of the noise was almost frightening. "Well, you see, I don't think you want to find them all, it ain't the idea. The other, they know when you come from one of them and then it won't do you any good to try to smarm to them, you know what I'm saying?"

The man took a battered mug from the floor, also next to the fireplace, and poured dark red liquid from the casket to the mug.

"Feel free to take the fish. Now, the Three, they''ll be deeper to the island, sitting at their towers and watching those things bust each other." A ripping sound from the distance, followed by a hiss that could have shaken mountains. "Once you find the one you're looking for, only that one can give you what you need for the face."

Post by Guest »

Aldym took the fish gratefully and listened to the monsterous sounds from outside,

"So, if I'm not being impertinent, how in the hells do I work out which one I want to see?"

Post by Guest »

"I guess it should be kind of obvious when you get to it, but then again, I never was one of the dry ones." The man drank the red liquid slowly, a deep smile spreading on his face. "Still, you're kind of stuck anyway. You can't go by the mainland while those are going at it, the beaches you can't take because of the selkies or of Whitey, and if you wait until they stop, you'll have to wait until they finish another set." He warmed his hand by the fire.

"So, feel worth it now?"

Post by Guest »

Aldym smiled a thin smile,

"I'm not exactly disheartened my friend. Out of interest - what are those things going at it outside?"

Post by Guest »

"Something you got a see yourself and hope you never become big enough for them to see you." The man leaned back. "They started a couiple of days ago, if anything like the last time. It won't finish for at least ten days." The very earth shook along with a booming voice. "You get used to them when you spent enough time here."

"So, you're not hungry or something? Those ain't easy to catch, you know."

Post by Guest »

Aldym smiled,

"Not at all, my apologies friend. I'm just...somewhat out of sorts, the journey here was...abrupt."

He tucked into the fish before looking at the door for a moment,

"So would you recommend waiting the tenday out, or trying to make it past them?"

Post by Guest »

The fish tasted great, after one bite it was like Aldym had just eaten a whole meal, his body feeling revigorated and fit to do anything.

"Well, that depends. If you go now, you'll most likely end up dead, since you don't know the path that well or how to get past those things without raising their attention. If you wait the tenday, you'll get to the Three, but they'll be too busy making another set of those things, which will take about six or seven months. Of course you might then still not be good enough to get past them, so if you really want to reach them with your life certain, I'd tell you to wait for three years and to get to know the place." The man licked his fingers.

Return to “On the Road Archive”