Ember's Tale -- Chapter 1: The Sanctuary

Moderator: Mods

Maeve
The Dragon & Game Designer

Ember's Tale -- Chapter 1: The Sanctuary

Post by Maeve »

The bed was surprisingly soft.
When he had fully returned to the world, Ember felt more rested than he'd done in a long time. There was a certain peace here, one that made him feel tranquil, at home. At the same time, he knew that this was not permanent.
Beside the bed, a chair stood, with the green robe from his dreams draped over it; and on the table lay a book, with the symbol of Illuminatus printed on the cover.

He’d known he was not back on the grasslands even before opening his eyes. No pallet on the ground could be this soft. ”But it does feel good,” He thought, stretching and luxuriating in the feeling of belonging; the calm and tranquillity made more precious by the knowledge that they could not last. The acknowledgement that this was true for everything in the great cycle of life became his first conscious prayer to The Great Mystery – Illuminatus.

The calm came to an end rather suddenly when he almost fell flat on his face while getting up. For someone who’d spent his life sleeping bare inches above the prairie soil, suddenly finding his mattress several feet above the floor took a bit of adjusting to. The sense of being home did not leave him though. He changed his mind about standing and sitting cross-legged on the bed reached for the book and flicked through its pages. The strange squiggles obviously meant something, but the history and learning of the Steel Flute tribe had always been passed down orally, Ember could no more read the book than he could write his own name.

Thinking of his tribe brought a momentary flare of worry. ”Where’s my flute?” It was obviously not in the room and he thrust the thought into the back of his mind as he stood and dressed. As the green fabric settled on to his body, the colour and it’s meaning seemed to settle his spirit, returning the plainsman to his waking state of calm and tranquillity. He was home, that was enough for now.

He began to move through the Dancing Wolf forms which he’d learned from Laughing Cougar, amazed at how smooth and powerful he felt, compared to his usual awkward attempts at the sinuously flowing movements of his family's martial art.

At some point during the exercise, Ember noticed that he wasn't alone.
A man was leaning against the doorway. He wasn't particularly large, or old; actually, he seemed rather unshaven, with short, unruly hair perched on top of his head. Two dull grey eyes watched Ember go through the motions, and the face remained impassive.
The stranger was wearing robes too, but it was unclear who he served. The flute in his hand, however, was clearly Ember's.

As soon as he noticed the stranger Ember stopped what he was doing even though reluctant to lose the flow his unusual calm had produced.

"Good Morning" he said "Thank you for bringing my flute."

The newcomer offered Ember an unshaven grin.
"Yeah, no problem. I read a few passages about you in the Compendium, and it seems you were very attached to it. So here it is."
He put the flute down on the table.
"Name's Coren, by the way. Enjoying your first day?"

As Ember looked at the flute on the table his calm dissipated like a morning mist over the grasslands in summer, a brief cool blanket before the sun begins beating down in earnest. He hadn't even thought about the instrument until this moment. Even as he practiced the forms, his hands grasping air instead of it's carved wooden shaft he hadn't noticed it's absence. He'd been at peace. And now, though he'd thanked the man who brought it, he stared as though it were a wooden rattlesnake, ready to poison his new beginning.

He snatched it up. Taking the instrument behind it's mouthpiece with his right hand, bringing it to his lips, blowing the first note of the adulthood chant. But all that came out was an out of tune wail. His hands were too tight. Gripping for all they were worth. He forced them to relax and as he did so noticed the carving of thorns around the finger holes, put there by his mo...by Waiting Owl. Ember laugher, and it was just a flute once more.

Gradually the plainsman realized he was being spoken to by...Coren wasn't it? He looked a bit of a barbarian, unshaven and grinning like that. Coren the Barbarian. That seemed to fit.

"I was enjoying it" replied Ember, self consciously putting the flute back on the table and trying to look the newcomer in the eye to hide his embarrassment.

"Just running through some morning exercises to get me in tune with the day. Didn't seem to work too well." he added, gesturing at the flute with an attempt at a smile. Then something the other man had said finally sank in.

"What do you mean, you read about me in the Compendium? What's the Compendium." Spirit journeys, falling asleep and waking up in strange places were all part of his tribe's history and did not surprise Ember in the least. He would probably have been more surprised to wake up where he started out. But that someone could read about him was something entirely new.

Coren watched Ember go about his ways. When the bigger man talked, the barbarian remained silent, to the point of giving Ember the feeling he was talking to himself.
When Ember asked about the book, Coren was silent for a moment still. Then, scratching the stubble on his jaw, he said: "The Codex Illuminata. It's the greatest of holy books from Him, given to us to guide us with His wisdom."
That last part sounded like it was being recited from a textbook.
"It's where we read about everyone, and everything. When I heard about the new arrival, I went and read a few things about you. The flute was just lying around the temple, as most important possessions do just after a new acolyte was brought here."
He detached himself from the door, and made a few steps into the room.
"Although, from the sound of things, the flute's not makin' you the happiest person alive."

"No. It was just a surprise. Something I thought was behind me." Replied Ember "Come in, sit down. My tent, my water and my bow are yours, such as they are," he added, gesturing towards the bed, with a real smile this time. But unwelcome thoughts still stampeded through his mind.
"If the compendium contains all the wisdom of the Illuminatus then there must be something about my totem..."
"Are there reading classes here? It sounds as though I'm going to need them." He said out loud, trying to drown the possibly unworthy thoughts in what seemed like small talk, but was actually amazement that anything of worth could be learned merely through reading.

A chuckle escaped from the ill-shaven priest's lips.
"You cannot read?"
His voice sounded unbelieving. Then, visibly, his manners caught up with him.
"Uh, sorry. It's just that, living among the priests of Him, I tend to forget that many cannot read, and are sadly enough never taught to."
He shrugged. "Who knows... you might find yourself a small community to nurture and protect, and you'd have to teach them."
He didn't seemed to thrilled at the same thing that had came into Ember's heart during the dream.
"If you want, I could take you to a tutor. Or you could just pray to Illuminatus for the wisdom. He's big on that, you kno. Wisdom," Coren added, with a grin.

Ember ignored the laugh, and tried a few steps of the form with his flute while listening to the other man. The calm flow of the movements had gone and he quickly turned back to Coren.
"The Little People always said it was dangerous to write important things down." He replied
"Words have power, and if just anyone could read them they might easily get into the wrong hands... or something like that. I don't remember the little people very well myself. I can't even speak Elvish."
The way he said this left no doubt that, in Ember's mind at least, you couldn't be very wise without being an Elvish speaker.
"Most of the people in my tribe have learned what they needed with the help of their totems. I haven't..." He frowned
"I would prefer to pray to Him for the wisdom. It feels more natural to do it that way."

"Right," said Coren. Resolutely, he got back into a fully upright position, and smiled wryly.
"You sound like you've got a good deal of potential to be on of the priesthood. Although the part about things not needing to be written down..."
He shook his head. "That's not very normal thinking for an Illuminatan. And where would the thieves be without books to steal?"
The unshaven man shrugged, and then turned around.
"Well, I'll be seeing you around, Ember. Take care with the fairytale."
And then he was gone.

Fairytale? thought Ember. But it was too late to ask Coren what he meant.
He sounds like a man who's fired 20 arrows but missed every buffalo in the herd.
There were some like that amongst the Steel Flutes, ones who refused to accept signs from The Mother or the Great Mystery ?EIlluminatus himself. They wouldn't listen to the voice of their totem when it told them something they didn't like, and if they wouldn't listen to their own totem as it tried to communicate the will of the gods they invariably lost the ability to listen to the voice of the grassland. They couldn't listen when it told them not to hunt, or couldn't read the signs which told them where to hunt. The gods are compassionate they try to teach men gently at first. But if the lessons are ignored then eventually the plains provide the harshest lesson of all.

Ember gave a start. The Mother spoke through the voice of the grasslands, but that voice expressed itself in signs the hunters read with the help of their totems. He himself had read the signs while hunting. His mind flickered back to his encounter with the cougar: it's tangy scent cutting across the dry smell of the grass: the light reflecting off it's amber eyes; the almost imperceptible sound of its paws as it turned away from him to follow the deer.

I used to read signs on the grasslands. He thought to himself, This is just a different kind of reading.

He sat cross-legged on the bed once more. He took up the flute and felt the familiar carved wood in his hands without tension this time. When his breathing had slowed and his mind was calm the plainsman began the first passage of The Song and concentrated on phrasing his prayer in the traditional way.

Illuminatus hear me,
I know that you are near me.
Mystery please hear me true:
Teach me how to learn from you,
My life for you I will live,
My soul to you freely give,
Teach me how to learn from you.

Praying gave him a good feeling.
It was like he was talking to someone. Ordinary men would look to the skies and speak their words aloud, but would not know whether they were heard.
Ember knew, in his heart, that he was being heard. He could feel the presence of Illuminatus, strong on this island, and could feel the comfort in that presence.
Yet, when he prayed for knowledge, none arrived. Apparently it didn't work that way; or maybe he was just doing something wrong.
Regardless, the prayer put him back into the feeling he'd had when he had awoken.

Rising from the bed flute in hand, the plainsman began to move through the forms of the Stepping Wolf once more. Though calm, his mind was far from silent as he moved.
?hI?fve been away hardly any time at all and I?fve already forgotten what Laughing Cougar told me.?h
He thought, a smile spreading across his face, weight flowing smoothly onto his right leg as the left kicked straight forwards.
?h One hunt doesn?ft make you a hunter, but you?fll never learn anything if you just listen to stories.?h
The feeling of calm stayed with him: even though he was aware of the flute, blocking and striking with its wooden shaft moving naturally in hands which had previously held nothing but air; even after his practice drew to a close.
?gWhat you mean of course, is that I have to sweat.?h
He said out loud with a laugh. Though whether that comment was directed to his father, or Illuminatus himself was impossible to say.
Flute in Hand ember left the room with a smile on his face and a rumble in his belly, determined to find food and a tutor, preferably in that order.

At the point, he could see for the first time where he was.
Around him, paved streets and small homes made up most of the surroundings. They were a sandy shade of brown, simple and homely. There was no excessive decoration, but nothing could really be called spartan or ugly either; it was all just enough.
Further away, on the horizon, he could see domes, some golden, some earthen; he could see the spires of what men and women of the city would call churches, and the more squarely-built roofs of temples. While there were all sorts of buildings here, it seemed that places of worship outnumbered them completely.
Most of the people here wore vestments. Even when a group of six armed, tough-looking men and women passed him, Ember could see they were wearing holy signs. He just didn't recougnise them.
He did, however, recougnise the blazing sun pendant, that hung from a woman's neck. This woman was old, with short white hair and a wrinkled face, but her walk was upright, and her eyes bright. Her age showed only in her physical form.
"Good day," she spoke to Ember, with a voice both determined and kind.
"I'm sorry to arrive so late, but I had thought you might require some time after waking up in a different place. Are you fully rested?"
She extended her hand. "I am Mirane, representative of the order's priesthood here on the isle."

The houses and paved streets were so different from the tents of his people, yet their simplicity and subtlety of decoration was more comforting than even the sight of sun faded leather stretched across wooden frames would have been. On the other hand, the domes and spires on the horizon took his breath away. To be visible at such a distance they would have to be many times larger than any structure Ember had ever seen, even at the trading post in Muchislie. A grumble from his stomach brought him back to earth. He was about to ask one of the passing throng where he could find something which would nourish more than just spirit when Mirane approached him.

?gEmber, of the Steel Flutes.?h Replied the plainsman, shaking her hand.
?gI don?ft remember when I felt so rested and I?fm looking forward to starting the training...?h Another moan from his stomach interrupted him, and he laughed to cover the ache
?g...but my stomach seems to feel that it?fs rested for far too long.?h

Mirane smiled at him.
"Your plight is not one unknown to us, Ember. Would you accompany me to the foodstore? I am certain that we have something to your liking there. And we'll see to this training of yours later, shall we?"
The older woman led him over the road towards a large structure, which was completely open at the front.
There were tables, and a large opening in the wall, with two or three monks behind it, gave the feeling of a primitive bar, of sorts.
Mirane gestured towards it. "Go, ask something to eat. There is bread, cheese, several sorts of dried meat, fruits... nothing as fancy as the city folk are used to, but I'm sure it'll suit a plainsman like yourself. There's milk or water, if you've a thirst to go with that growling stomach."
She opened a book which had been strung to her back. "I'll wait here until you've eaten. Until then!"
And with those words, she sat down, and started reading.

Ember took a little of everything from the monks and sat to eat.
"Illuminatus: who showed us where to find water when we were thirsty; Who taught us how to hunt when we were hungry; for this first meal in your service, I thank you."
Murmured the plainsman.

Mirane had been right, the foods would have been simple for a city dweller but for the plainsman they were an exotic feast. The dried venison was familiar, but the bread was totally unlike the flat, unleavened loaves of his people. The cheese was not only harder, but stronger in favour and with a tangy scent he didn't recognise but found delicious nonetheless. Finally the fruit. Ember bit into a Pear!. They were even rarer than apples on the grasslands. This one was plump and just ripe, it?fs flesh soft beneath his fingers, not tough and wrinkled like those the traders sometimes brought to the Steel Flute camp.

After he'd finished this feast the plainsman returned to where Mirane was reading.

"I must admit, when Coren told me that it was possible to learn from books I thought it was a joke. Until I prayed to Him." said Ember

Mirane glanced up from her book. A thoughtful glance crossed her face as Ember mentioned Coren, but it was quickly replaced with her normal, neutral-yet-friendly look. She closed the book, and got up.
"I hope the food was to your liking, Ember? Ours is a simple way, but it is all we need. Knowledge is our true nourishment. Well, that, and other matters, mostly divine."
She started walking, leaving in her trail the sort of expectancy to be followed. Ember found she seemed to want him to keep up with her, at her side.
"You will find, in the coming days, that Illuminatus knows many aspects. Though we are a learned clergy foremost, not all of us are the bookish type. Illuminatus offers others paths to his faithful, be they to bring the light to dark places by care of blade, or by leading a withdrawn life, ever pondering the mysteries of our existence. Tell me of your thoughts, and your own expectations, good plainsman. Tell me how you would best like to serve the Enlightened One."

A bit surprised at the old woman?fs abrupt departure, Ember took a few paces to catch up with her and several more to compose his thoughts.

?gBefore my initiation I had always felt pulled in two directions.?h He began, speaking with care as much care as he would take stalking a herd of alert deer on an open plain with a changeable wind.

?gWith Laughing Cougar, whom many outside the plains would call my father, I learned not only how to stalk and hunt prey, but also how to fight and protect my tribe. To tell the truth I found practicing the way of the Stepping Wolf, Laughing Cougar?fs martial art, more enjoyable than hunting food for the Steel Flutes. On the other hand I was also drawn to the healing arts which I learned from Waiting Owl, who you would call my mother. I hoped that after my adulthood ceremony my totem would help me find a path which combined the two. Instead I found my way to Illuminatus.?h
He continued silently next to Mirane for a few paces before speaking again.

?gDuring my initiation I chose the path of a protector. The blade is for warriors, it is difficult to use without killing and I would only kill when necessary. A life of withdrawal may be possible for some, but I have grown up on the plains and learn best through action." He paused again

"Ideally I would like to continue my study of the martial arts, to help those who bring the light to dark places and protect and heal those who fall while carrying out the will of Illuminatus.?h
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

Mirane took a few moments to reply. When she finally did, contentment was clear in her voice.
"The path to Illuminatus appears only in a few hearts; most of those who are called are content to spend their lives within books, and carrying out the duties of our god, overseeing the others and guarding the Binding Light. It is not often that one chooses to protect others in Illuminatus' name so actively; it makes me glad to see some still possess the desire."
She turned to him. "There will of course be some formal training. However, the path that you choose is also a very personal one. And a defender of the faith learns most of his trade by carrying out quests for the Enlightened One..."
She paused for a while, and they walked on in silence. Then, she continued: "There will be a time within your training that I will call you out to go upon such a quest. It will complete your formal training, and make you a vested warrior-priest of Illuminatus. For now, we will go and sit, and you may learn things of the Lore from me. And after that... we shall see where things take us, will we?"
She offered him a smile.

Ember felt a shivver run up his spine when Mirane mentioned quests, but was it from anticipation...or fear of embarking upon such a test without a totem. In all the tales of great quests amongst his people for the knowledge of how to hunt, or how to weave cloth, heroes had been accompanied by their totem, and often one of the little people as well.

"But I don't need a totem, I have found the Great Mystery, Illuminatus." Ember thought, but even he didn't find it very convincing, and he gripped the wooden flute very tight as he spoke to Mirane.

"Does everything you know of Illuminatus come from books? The elders of my tribe used to read the will of the Mother in the land and the movements of the animals around us. I would like to be able to read the will of Illuminatus for myself, if you will show me how."

The older woman shook her head.
"Not everything need come from books, dear Ember. Certainly, some things are recorded on paper and best learned from that, but many things can only be learned by experience, by going out and living your life in Illuminatus' service."
She stopped. "You cannot read, can you?" she asked, and Ember knew she had seen this in his face. "It is no matter. This 'reading in the land' that you speak of is a thing I may teach you as well... though in our case, we call this 'communing with spirits'. If you wish, I will teach you how to reach to those who serve Illuminatus, and how to benefit from their teachings..."

As the plainsman listened to Mirane's reply he first felt the wind of relief blowing away lingering doubts he'd had about "his" way of learning, and then a surge of hope which almost made him stumble. Could she be talking about totem spirits? He'd never heard that they served any particular God, but then what he knew of them came only from stories, not direct experience. Even the elders admitted that they understood only a fraction of what they once had. The little people had taken so much knowledge with them when they disappeared.

Ember eventually managed to get his thoughts together enough to speak, if a bit hoarsely.
"If you will teach me this "communing with spirits" then my flute is yours, whenever you ask."
He said, using the deepest expression of respect his tribe posessed.

Mirane smiled. "It will be my pleasure, plainsman."
She led him to a quiet place, an open spot within a covering of foliage. The sun shone brightly on it, and Ember noticed that the ground bore a sigil of Illuminatus.
"Sit down, Ember," Mirane said gently, as they stood in the small clearing. "I will bring forth a spirit when you have gained complete calm. Do not be started by it, and do not break your concentration. Instead, try to feel its presence, and its connection to Him."
She sat down, cross-legged, and waited for Ember to do the same; she also extended her hands, expecting him to lay his into them.

Ember sat cross legged facing the old woman. He didn't immediately put his hands in hers, as he was too tense and his heart beating too quickly. He murmured a short prayer to Illuminatus, hoping that feeling his god was listening to the words would bring the same calm he had felt earlier.
"Illuminatus, Mystery who dwells between Heaven and Earth, I know you are with me. Grant me your wisdom. Help me hear what I cannot see, and feel what I cannot hear. Show me how to serve you as you would be served."

Only when he felt relaxed, and as deeply focused as was possible, did he raise his hands and touch Mirane's. He repeated the prayer, in his head this time. Concentrating on putting everything he felt into each word and expanding the prayer out from the clearing to Illuminatus himself. As the plainsman let his feelings expand in this way he opened his awareness not only to the feel of the old woman's hands and the sound of her breath, not only to the warmth of the sun in the clearing and the sounds of nature around them not only to the presence of his God but also to those spirits who served Him as Ember himself hoped to serve.

"Holy spirits of Illuminatus, I beseech you... appear before us," Mirane began, her voice soft and reasonable. "We have in our presence a young one, who wishes to learn from your benevolence, and bask in your master's light... and who wishes, in turn, to strengthen you by strengthening Him. I beseech you, appear before us."
Mirane sat, deeply concentrated, repeating this litany again and again. And after a while, Ember could hear, very faintly, the soft rinkling of bells.
Finally, the older woman stopped. "Open your eyes," she told Ember. "Try to feel them. Soon, they will appear."
And indeed, the air was warm now, warmer than it had been. It wasn't exactly hot, but more as if it was becoming richer, more vibrant. Then, fading into view, was a small, golden orb. Soft light emitted from it.
"It's the spirit," Mirane told him. "Go ahead, and reach out..."

Ember silently repeated the litany along with Mirane, concentrating harder than ever before feeling for the presence of the spirits. When the old woman told him to open his eyes he wasn't sure for a moment if the golden orb was really there, or merely a product of his need to see something. But obviously the pristess saw it too, and with her encouragement the plainsman reached out: first with feelings of welcome, pleasure and gratitude that the spirit had made itself visible; then, hesitantly, raising his hand as if to stroke the glowing light. He was amazed at how calm he felt, there were not even any feelings of surprise that the spirit did not come in the form of an animal.

When Ember's outstretched hand came to the spirit, it felt him with a gentle warmness. Indeed, she spirit had a calming effect on him, as if somehow, it knew everything would be alright, and was extending that knowledge to the plainsman.
There was a voice within Ember's head then, soft, almost childlike. It was a male voice, but not very convincingly so.
You have questions, resounded in his head.
Tell me of your questions, seeker.

Almost floating in the calming warmth of the golden globe, the plainsman felt that he already knew the answer to his first question. It was as if he knew there was an animal nearby on the prairie, but couldn't see it because it blended too well with the grasses. Still, he had to ask.

"Spirit. I must ask you. Are you like the totems of my people?"

And with that first question, the others came bursting out like a stampede of Buffalo and almost as unstoppable.

"Can you tell me my true name? How should I worship Illuminatus? Do I need to be able to read The Book to pray to him? How can I offer my knowledge up to him? Do I need to be able to write down what I've learned for him? Is it enough just to improve my own skills? Should I teach others, or keep what I've learned for those who worship Him. Are there any strictures that I must follow, as I've heard other religions do? How can I serve Him best?"

...and on and on. Many of the questions could have been answered by Mirane, but in his excitement Ember forgot both that and the warnings from the Elders and Laughing Cougar not to rely too much on totem spirits.

"The spiritual world is as real as as this one, if not more so, but guidance is useless without sweat."

Intensifying with the flood of questions, the glow increased as did the feeling of complete tranquility and a soft chiming laughter sounded gently in the plainsman's ears.

Yes, many questions and those questions lead onto many others the voice spoke softly in his mind. I am similar to the totems of your people and yet different though our purposes are much alike as one who can lead and instruct.

After a short pause the childlike voice continued, Your true name is a journey only you can complete so that knowledge is hidden to me. As for worshipping Illuminatus, you best worship him with your heart, mind and whole being. Reading the book is not required for prayer but will help you learn more about him and his ways.

However, written materials assist those who come after you to know about the journey, what you discovered on that journey and how it affected life in you and around you. It is more than a history handed down from father to son, it is a life presented for others to draw from. Those types of details cannot be handed down through oral traditions.

Always remember it is your journey and each man's is his own, distinct and separate in many ways from that of all others though all share elements and parts of the same journey. Therefore, you should do what is destined in your journey, be that teach, pray, write, lead or share the message of wisdom with those who have not heard. Which of these paths you should journey down will be revealed to you when it is time

Ember couldn't stop an idiotic grin spreading across his face as the spirit spoke to him. To tell the truth he was so calm that he didn't mind. Everything the spirit was saying seemed so right even the part about not knowing Ember's true name. The young plainsman, no that wasn't right, the young folower of Illuminatus sat and listened, drinking in the spirit's words and thanking his god for this gift.

Again, Ember heard the soft sound of laughter, like the sounds of water frolicking over stones, rushing down a brook. It was a pleasing sound, a sound of acceptance, approval and completeness. The sound flowed into the young worshipper and filled him with warmth like the richness of the sun's rays on an icy cold day; welcomed warmth.

Many questions you will continue to ask, but you have been given teachers that can help with most of your questions. Draw on their knowledge and experience for in it lay many of the answers you seek. And now, Ember, worshipper of Illuminatus, have you any other questions of me?

The young man could hear a smile in the spirit's voice.

"I have only two real questions" replied Ember, at last remembering Laughing Cougar's favourite phrase.

"The spirits of my people come in the shape of plains animals, and they are named after that shape. What can I call you?"

He paused a moment to think before asking his second question.

"You canot tell me my true name. I realize it is something only I can discover, and it will be a journey of many paths, but can you give me some sign as to which direction Illuminatus intends for me now?"

The bubbling sound of laugher filled Embers ears, "I have no name, but if names are of deep importance to you, you may call me.... Awareness." The orb's warm light pulsated softly and finally stabilized again.

"As for your journey, knowledge is the key. As you search and study, you will feel a longing, a desire, a thirst for some paths more than others. Follow those paths for those reflect the gifts that were placed in you, gifts that must be exposed and then cultivated. Follow the deepest part of you, for it will lead you true."

"My time wanes but I will see you again, Ember Who Seeks Wisdom." The orb pulsated again and grew dimmer. "Remember, gaining wisdom for yourself is not enough. You must leave a legacy for others to follow, for if you don't pass on the path you have taken and what you have learned, it amounts to naught." The voice grew softer as the soft warm light continued to fade. "Seeking is the key.... " the voice faded off leaving Ember with only the sound of his heart beating in his ears.

Ember did not know how long he sat after "Awareness" had left him, breathing slowly, listening to his heartbeat. Nothing had changed and yet everything was different. He had finally met one of the spirits. It was almost more overwhelming than the certain knowledge that his prayers were being heard by Illuminatus. Had it been like this for Laughing Cougar, or Waiting Owl, when they learned how to read the will of the Mother?

"Holy Illuminatus. I humbly bow to you in gratitude for sending your spirit to instruct me in the way. I will hunt wisdom in your name and pass on to others what I have learned, that their true paths might be made clear by your light. Holy Illuminatus, I humbly thank you for this boon."

Whispering this prayer Ember finally opened his eyes.

"Mirane, thank you. That was...a wonderous experience. But I'm afraid I have another request. The spirit told me to follow the paths which reflect my gifts. My gifts have always seemed to lead along two opposing paths, the healing arts and the martial. Through the light of Iluminatus I can see that there is no contradiction in studying both. But now I'm convinced that I need to learn how to read and write first, if I'm going to serve Him properly. Will you teach me."

said Ember, a huge grin still lighting up his face despite the solemn tone of his words.

Her smile an expression of peace and acceptance, the old woman nodded, "Of course, Ember. That is part of my roll as a servant of Illuminatus, to help you not only find your path, but to walk it once found. Those lessons can begin tomorrow if you like."

Slowly she stood to her feet and inviting the young man to join her, the slowly meandered down a well worn path weaving through the lush wooded area. "I am glad you see there is no conflict in your path."

They approached a small stream, water flowing joyously over rocks and pebbles. Stopping, she faced Ember, "Protection and healing are two sides of the same coin, one dealing with outside threats to the health of the body, the other dealing with inward threats. The ultimate goal of both of the gifts, the health of the body. But the health of the body is more than just the body itself, but the mind and spirit of the individual as well. All of these must work together for health and if one goes awry, the whole being suffers."

In the stream a small fish jumped to catch a bug, missed and stranded itself atop a large flat rock. As they stood talking, the hapless fish flopped in an attempt to move its body back to the life giving waters.

Ember nodded as he listened to the older woman. What she said made perfect sense, thanks to Illuminatus, without whom he had been unable to see even such simple connections.

When he saw the fish flopping on the rock Ember moved almost without thinking to lift it carefully back into it's natural element. He had been a hunter, and though gifts form the Mother should not be ignored, neither should they be wasted. He had no need of food, now he was a hunter for truth.

Marine smiled as the young man bent over to return the fish to its home, sensing what would come. As Ember reached down and slid the fish back into the water, the babbling stream disappeared and at his feet instead, laying on a grassy area with trees just off to the west, was a child.

Face down, the child's eyes were closed and its skin was very pale. Numerous tears and bite marks covered the child's legs and backside as if the small one had been chased by an attacking animal.

It was a bloody mess, but the animal was no where to be seen. Off to the east was a trail of blood making it appear the child was running towards the trees, perhaps to climb to safety away from the sharp teeth. To to north, east and south stretched gently rolling fields of grass.

Ember moved quickly to the child, trying to gain a better picture of whatever had done this from the traces left on the ground. If the child was still alive, knowing what had caused the injuries might be critical in keeping it that way. The land seemed similar to his home in Muchislie, perhaps even the bite marks would give him a clue. Others might have been disorientated by the quick change of scene but for Ember it was almost comforting. He did not have much skill in reading the Mother's will in the land, but reading the spirit was also a skill and though he did not have much he thought he recognized a spirit journey.

In the world of the spirit, consequences followed actions more quickly than on the plains, but were just as real if not more so. He had to follow his instincts. In the past he might have been paralyzed by indecision but not now, thanks to holy Illuminatus.

First he had to see whether the child was alive or not. As he approached the small body he also tried to remain aware of the surrounding terrain, especially the trees. An animal that would attack a child was less likely to take on an adult, but if it was starving or in pain...there was also the problem of what had stopped the attack before the child reached the trees. Perhaps it was the sudden appearance of Ember and Mirane, and then again perhaps not. Muttering a prayer to Illuminatus for the welfare of the child Ember crouched down to see what, if anything, could be done.
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

Difficult to find impressions in the grassy ground, the bit marks on the child appeared to have come from a canine of some sort, whether that was a mad dog or a small wild wolf was hard to distinguish. The bites were not large even if they were savage. A search of the vicinity showed nothing. Ember and the child were here alone. Even Mirane was missing.

The child was breathing, though the breaths were shallow and raspy. Having lost a great deal of blood, the child was pale and felt cold to the touch. He would die left as he was. He had no bag with bandages or medicines, only the small wooded area and the vast plains of grass. Of course, the child had to have come from somewhere, if he were only alive enough to talk and tell Ember where. The novice priest would need to do something and do it quickly.

Ember removed his robe and tore strips to bandage the child's wounds then gently wrapped him in what was left of the garment. The boy would be suffering from shock and it was imperative that he be kept warm. There was not time to search the surrounding area for herbs, but Ember now knew of another alternative.

"Holy Illuminatus, I dedicate this space to you as I dedicate myself. Holy Illuminatus, hear my prayer."

Repeated the loincloth wearing plainsman, as he scuffed a wide circle into the grass around the wounded child. When it was complete he sat crosslegged, cradling the boy's head in his hands.

"Holy Illuminatus, hear my prayer. You teach us that it is the duty of all beings to search for wisdom. Great Light of Truth, if this child dies he will never learn, never find true understanding. Holy Illuminatus help me heal this child that he might follow his life's true path through you."

As he prayed Ember reached for the feeling of calm, of being heard and acknowledged, which he had experienced before and attempted to somehow project that feeling through himself and into the child in his arms.
Though the plainsman wasn't aware of it, any observer would have noted a faint warm glow surrounding Ember and the child. What the young man did notice was a warmth in his hands. As he prayed, his hands were radiating heat. It was not painful, instead it was rather comforting. The child stirred slightly under his hands and took a deep ragged breath.

As the warmth faded, the child's breathing became easier and gone were the rasping sounds. The body was still cool to the touch but the young one seemed to rest a bit easier. Off to the east, a thin wisp of smoke threaded up into the air. As it was coming from beyond a gentle hill, there was no way to tell what caused it. It could be a home, a village or a campfire.

As Ember bent to check the child he took a deep breath, sorry to loose the warmth in his hands that marked his first ever succssful healing, but aware that it marked only the first step on a long trail. He would still have to hurry if the child were to survive those first steps.

"Holy Iluminatus, I humbly thank you for making me the instrument of this child's rescue and hope my actions will continue to meet with your favour in the future."

Ember intoned, his feelings of elation at having succeeded almost masking the worry in his voice.
After this short prayer the plainsman carefully erased the circle and began fashioning a simple sling out of his robe. Hopefully it would keep the child close to his body, for warmth, while leaving his hands free, just in case.

Leaving his hands free... and his mind to wonder:

Where is my flute?{

The novice priest didn't have long to wonder about his flute, however as the chilling sound of a cannine howl echoed through the woods behind him. It was joined by another much fainter and further back in the wooded area.

Snuggled against Ember's chest, the child slept peacefully though his body temperature was still cool. The plainsman could feel the cold frame against his, drawing the warmth of his healthy body. Back in the woods, the ominous howl came again. It seemed a bit closer this time.

What would Laughing Cougar say at a time like this?

Thought the novice, as he settled into the ground eating plains hunter's loping run towards the source of the smoke.

Ah yes. "What's the best way to outrun a group of hunters? Run, don't just stand around."

Of course Laughing Cougar would have been laughing as he said it. But just at that moment Ember didn't find it quite so funny.

As the novice priest ran he quickly left the howls behind. Perhaps the cannines had not actually caught their scent. Still, haste was in order and Ember managed to cover a considerable amount of ground in a surprisingly short time.

As they topped the rise of the small hill, a black roof came into sight, smoke curling lazily from its chimney up into the cloudless blue sky.

The gray wood was weatherworn and full of character. Across the front of the house stretched a covered porch. An assortment of plants and flowers covered the ground surrounding the house giving the old wood building a feeling of life and energy. From inside, the faint sound of a female voice singing drifted softly on the slight breeze.

"Holy Illuminatus, thank you for leading us to this refuge."

Intoned Ember when he came upon the house, and slowed to a fast walk as they approached the dwelling. It looked somewhat like the buildings at the trading post on his home isle of Muchislie, but the plants and flowers surounding it reminded him also of his tribe, the Steel Flutes and Waiting Owl in particular. This impression was only enhanced by the voice coming from inside.

"This is a sign from Illuminatus himself little one. You are going to be well."

He said to the child while striding towards the house.

Then, before reaching the apparent border of the luxuriant growth which surrounded the structure the plainsman stopped completely.

"Blessings of Illuminatus be upon this house."

He shouted, praying his voice would reach whoever was inside before he was forced to trespass on her their territory without permission.

Keen ears inside the house heard something outside. It almost sounded like a voice, but it couldn't be. "After all," the girl said to her cats, "it's not dark yet and no one in the village would dare come here before dark."

Still curiosity got the better of her and she went out the front door to her porch and squinted out into the sunlight. What she saw surprised her. A nearly naked young man stood holding.. something. It almost appeared to be human, perhaps a child. It was clothed strangly in white and red.

Standing on the outside edge of the lush growth of various herbs and plants, Ember saw a woman come out and stand looking at them. Average height, her blonde hair was pulled off her neck. Her well-rounded form was dressed in a very becoming soft pink dress with green leafy plants embroidered around the hemline and up one of the sleeves. A large smile dominated her face as she looked at Ember and the child. A large calico cat paced around the woman's feet.

Waving her hand, she bid them welcome, "Greetings and welcome strangers. Please, come in and share my hospitality. It is seldom that I have the opportunity to entertain visitors." She smiled and held her arms out in welcome.

"In the name of Illuminatus, and this child whose name I do not know, thank you."

The plainsman replied formally, before stepping into the garden.

"I am Ember. I'm afraid I bring nothing to repay you for the shelter of your roof and the warmth of your fire. I would not have disturbed you, but this child needs rest and a place to recover. The boy has been attacked by something and it may now be hunting me."

As he spoke, he gently pulled back the robe/sling so the woman could see the child.

With a soft gasp, the woman led the way up the two steps onto her porch and into the house. "Please, bring the child inside where we can tend to him," her soft voice pleaded.

Inside, the fragrance of dried flowers and herbs permeated the air with a soft warm comforting aroma. Larger than it appeared from the outside, the house contained three rooms. The front room was large and spread across the entire length of the house with a light colored hard wood floor. It had a large window at each end and three more windows looking out over the porch, one to the left of the door and two to the right.

A large fireplace set in the middle of the back wall would have dominated the room but for the color and spectacle of the mass of herbs and flowers hanging from the exposed beams that were not only supporting the roof, but serving as drying racks for the young woman. Almost like decorative fringe, the beams were covered with dried and drying flora of all kinds.

Several large rough wooden tables occupied the space on the right side of the room, several strewn with bundles of herbs, various bottles and assorted tools. The walls around the table area were lined with shelves holding more bottles containing liquid and powdered mixtures.

The tables and shelving seemed to occupy most of the room but to the right, away from drafts of the door were two beds with a short square table between the two and a comfortable looking chair with a cushion to the outside of each bed. Lamps hung on the wall over the beds and one hung down, suspended from a ceiling beam between the two beds. On this small side of the room, the beams were clear of any hanging materials. There was yet another set of shelves between the beds and a doorway into another room.

As if they sensed the need to stay out of the way, the two cats situated themselves in the chair under the window where the sun streamed in and began to bath themselves in the warmth occasionally looking up to gauge the progress of their mistress.

Leading the young man to a clean table she motioned the plainsman to put the child down. She began to unwrap the child and examine the wounds, clucking under her breath at the damage. "It is amazing he still lives," she remarked looking up to really notice Ember for the first time.

"I am sorry, Ember... I am Saryl. I don't often have the opportunity to entertain guests and those who bring their sick usually only come at night," she blushed, her fair skin turning a soft shade of pinkish rose. Intense smoky gray eyes looked into Ember's face.

"Come with me. I need to clean up before handling his wounds and," she looked at the blood streaked young man, "you could do with a bit of a wash as well." She smiled and led him through a door to the left of the fireplace.

Inside the kitchen had two large windows letting in light with a view of a lovely tree and sitting area in back of the house. A cooking fireplace was on the wall to the right in the corner that would have it backed up to the main fireplace in the front room. More shelves and cabinets lined the walls. A worktable sat in the middle of the small room and on the wall opposite the fireplace was a pump over a basin.

"Do you know what attacked the child?" she asked as she worked the pump until she had a nice flow of water, then stepped aside to allow the young man to wash up first. Handing him a bar of soap with a smile, she pulled a soft cotton cloth off a shelf and handed it to Ember as he finished washing.

When he stepped through the door Ember had the strange experience of feeling at home in a totally unfamiliar place. It was not the same as the feeling of belonging that had envelopped him on Oracle's Isle. It was more a sense that the room was familiar, despite the fact that before leaving his tribe he had never once been inside a house nor seen a bed. It must have been the drying racks, the abundance of herbs, even the bottles and tools reminded him of Waiting Owl. How many hours had he spent turning bundles of plants on similar racks outside her tent, or helping prepare the dried ingredients with similar tools? If time had not been so important, he would have paused to see if he recognized any of the herbs, but even as he became aware of his feelings he shrugged them off. The child was his responsibility for the moment. Illuminatus himself had shown that.

"I was able to reach the child in time and stabilize him thanks to Illuminatus."

The novice replied as Saryl checked the boy's wounds. And then he did take time to wonder about the house and the woman who lived there.

Why would people only bring their sick to here at night? Surely they would want the attention of a healer as soon as possible? I can't count the number of times Waiting Owl left me to continue some chore or other when she was called out to attend one of the tribe. She always seemed to have to leave during the hardest part of the job as well.

He thought, with a quick smile and then attended to getting himself as clean as possible. Waiting Owl had always insisted on cleanliness when dealing with patients and that simple fact coupled with the familiarity he felt in this dwelling gave him a great deal of trust in Saryl so when he answered her question he spoke freely:

"I didn't see what did it. Perhaps my arrival frightened it, or them off. Something was howling behind us as I ran here. If it were my own island I would say coyotes, or perhaps wolves, but I don't know if you have such animals here. The boy seemed to have been making his way towards a wood not far from here, but what he was doing out alone I don't know. Do you have any idea where he may have come from? Could he be one of those who only visit you at night?"

“Coyotes?” the woman questioned. “That is not a name I recognize and while we do have wolves, they rarely come this far down from the north and never during the day. Wolves would have produced larger bite marks I think and as ours always hunt in packs, I don’t think you would have scared them off. It’s possible this was done by a matar. They aren’t large but can be quite fierce and their hunting pattern follows what you described. They split up to track prey and herd it towards the group, communicating with howls.”

“As for the boy, he has to be from the village. But that worries me. I don’t know why he would be so far from the village and surely he would not have been out here alone. That means, there is likely another child somewhere. Perhaps that is the reason this one was left alive but immobile, to be returned to after they were finished with the other.” She frowned as she dried her hands.

Washed up, the woman grabbed a bowl in which she collected some water from the pump followed by some hot water from a large kettle in the kitchen fireplace. Back in the other room, she scanned a shelf quickly and took down a jar with a dark greenish powder substance and measured out a bit into the water. Handing the bowl and a clean cloth to the plainsman she smiled, “I am going to put together a poultice to help stop bleeding and speed healing. If you would, please cleanse the boy’s wounds with this mixture of herbs.”

Back at the shelves, she started pulling various herbs as she talked. “The mixture you have will hopefully eliminate any poisons deposited by the animal’s teeth or saliva and provide some relief from pain as well as cleansing the wound. When we are finished, we’ll need to go look for the other child, though I don’t have much hope that we’ll find the other alive.” Sighing, she set the herbs on one of the other worktables and began to measure out amounts of each. She explained the herbs and how they worked as she made the poultice.

As Ember finished cleansing the wounds, she handed him the thick dark poultice to pack into the wounds as she went back to clean up her mess and return the herb containers to their shelves.

Wiping down the tabletop, she smiled. “You have questions. It is okay. You can ask without fear of causing offense. I am … not like others but I have learned to embrace that truth rather than push it away.” Standing by the young man, she examined his work.
”Nicely done,” she complimented with a nod. “You have His touch in you.”

Ember set about his task as quickly as possible. He would have dearly loved to ask what herbs were in the mixture he was applying to the boy's wounds. However, if Saryl was right and there was another child outside, being hunted by these matar then there was no time to waste on idle questions. He concentrated on making sure that all the boy's wounds were well swabbed with the greenish compound, praying silently to Illuminatus as he worked, both for the boy he was treating and whoever was still outside.

"Thank you," he said in reply to the woman's praise.

"My mother was also a healer. I learned a little from her before I entered the service of Illuminatus. I do have a lot of questions but perhaps the answers can wait till later. For now I am most interested in learning about the matar. How many are usually in a pack? Are they afraid of humans or anything else? What kind of tracks do they leave? How fast to they move? Anything that might be helpful in stopping them before they reach the other child who may be out there."

Nodding, the woman moved the bowls that had held the wash and the poultice to another table, headed to the end of the room with the two beds and turned down the one on the left, removing the pillow.

"Bring the child here and place him face down," she instructed as she went to a chest of drawers nearby and pulled out a white very light weight cloth. "We'll use this to cover his legs with. And then I think it will be safe to go look for any more children out there. As for Matar, they have been known to run in packs as large as 20, but that is rare. They can have as few as five and ten is a more common average."

Laying the cloth on the bed for Ember, she moved back to her shelves of herbal concoctions, poured a thick very pale amber colored liquid into a small shallow container and grabbed a spoon out of a small bucket sitting on the shelf. Talking as she worked, she explained, "With the grasslands, the matar don't leave tracks as such. They really aren't that large, about the size of a medium dog perhaps." She moved back to the bed.

Turning the child's head to the side, she dipped the spoon into the liquid, then slipped the spoon into the child's mouth pressing as much of the thick honey like substance onto his tongue and lips as she could.

"Like most animals, they run from groups of adults," she continued. "I don't know that I have ever heard of them attacking humans at all, and I doubt they would try two adults.. normally. The biggest harm they are to folks around here is they will steal chickens, baby piglets.. small animals."

Looking up at Ember, she shook her head and handed him the spoon and medicine. "Do that three more times on his tongue. I will go find you something to wear. It won't be fancy, but if the villagers see you like that, it won't matter you are a priest and have saved one of their own. They can be a bit funny about some things."

With that she headed into the adjoining room and began to go through things in a chest. Arms full of some drab brown trousers and a tan cotton tunic like shirt, she handed them to the young man.

"You may go in my room if you like to put those on and then, we'll go searching." Taking the bowl and spoon she went into the kitchen and returned in a few minutes with a small bag slung over her shoulder.

Ember lifted the child as gently as possible and placed him on the bed that aryl had prepared. As they worked to cover his legs he listened carefully, nodding as Saryl described the Matar, committing what she told him to memory. When hunting it was always best to know as much about the prey as possible, or the roles could easily be reversed.

After spooning the amber liquid into the child's mouth as directed the plainsman could no longer contain his desire to ask questions.

"Is this merely honey, or is there something else in the mixture?"

He called from the other room as he dressed in the strange feeling clothes.

"Also if you have some salt and I work quickly I may be able to save us some time in the search. Illinatus has protected the child this far. The spirits which serve Him may be able to tell us where the other child is, and if it is still alive."

Gentle laughter drifted out of the room where Saryl searched for clothing. "Taste it," she called back to Ember.

Though the mixture looked and flowed like honey, there was little sweet about it, rather it had a bitter pungent taste.

"It is mostly distilled sap from the Winedote tree which provides relief from pain. It also contains some extract of adru and dudgon bark for their calming sedative properties. The sap is cooked down slowly until it reaches this thick stage and the adrue and dudgon are added as it comes off the fire.”

Returning to the front room with the clothes, she handed them to Ember and took the medicine and spoon from him. “Mostly it will help dull the pain and promote sleeping so the body can heal itself,” she said as she carried the dirty dishes to the kitchen.

Once the spoon and container were washed up, she returned to the front room, “Salt? Certainly I have salt. Table salt and medicinal salts. I assume you want regular table salt? What will you do with it?”

Quickly, she returned to the kitchen and came back with a small glass canister, plugged by a cork stopper to seal it from moisture, filled with white salt crystals. Eyes sparkling with curiosity, she handed the jar to Ember.

Ember made a face when he tasted what he'd assumed was going to be a sweet liquid.

"I may know the plants you mean. Maybe afterwards you will be able to show me what they look like. I'd also like to know what other herbs you have been using. When you have time of course."

Replied the plainsman, trying to talk around the taste of the winedote sap.

When he was dressed he took the salt from Saryl and looked her directly in the eyes.

"I hope you don't mind me scattering this on your floor. I need to make a prayer circle. I'm going to attempt to contact the spirits that serve Illuminatus. Hopefully they will be able to tell us if there is another child, if it still lives and where it is. Usually I would try to find the child without the spirits' help. But as these Matar leave no tracks and every candle flicker counts then I think this is the best way. Will you join me in the circle? The prayer will have a better chance of success if there are two of us."

At the mention of 'spirits' the woman's heart skipped a beat. If word got back to the village it would go badly for both of them. However, she sensed there was something bigger at work here. This one was sent by Illuminatus, of this she felt certain. Surely his protection would be upon them.

With a nod, she replied, "Do what you feel necessary. I have no experience with these spirits you speak of, but I will join you if it is helpful." She watched the young man, ready to do as he asked.
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

"Thank you. Please sit here."

Said Ember, indicating a spot on the floor of the main room.

We need to create a sacred space. Salt is a powerful purifyer, it also just happens to be the colour of Illuminatus. By making a circle of salt we can concentrate our prayers and increase the chance of them being answered. The circle also symbolises the joining of Mother Earth and the Father of the heavens by Illuminatus. But do I really need to tell her all this? No, time is more important.

The plainsman thought to himself and then turned back to his patrtner.

"I'm going to make a circle of salt. While I spread it on the floor please repeat what I say, and as you do let your concern for the child, your true feelings for it's wellbeing, fill your words. With Illuminatus, if it is not the truth the prayer may as well not be said."

With that he began chanting as he carefully laid out the circle of salt on the floor.

"Holy Illuminatus, we consecrate this space to the power of your wisdom. Let this circle be a sign of our true intentions. As you separate The Motther from the Father so we separate ourselves from worldly concerns and ask that this space be filled with the truth that flows only from you. Holy Illuminatus..."

When the circle was complete the young priest sat opposite saryl and extended his hands horizontally from the shoulders, and bent at the elbows to form a circle in front of him, right palm facing down to symbolize the Father, left palm facing up to symbolize the mother, with a space in between that was Illuminatus, the "Great Mystery" of his people.

"Saryl, join your palms with mine."

He said and waited as the woman extended her arms in a circle of her own, left palm up and resting against his right palm, right palm down and resting against Ember's left; so that their limbs formed a double circle between them. When the circle was complete he began to chant as Mirane had done.

"Holy spirits of Illuminatus, I beseech you... appear before us. We wish to learn from your benevolence, and bask in your master's light... and wish, in turn, to strengthen you by strengthening Him. I beseech you, appear before us."

Not entirely sure she was comfortable with this, the healer joined Ember in the circle. Watching him carefully, she pushed aside her own fears. She didn’t know what the young man was doing or what would happen next, but something inside her recognized that the one offering these strange prayers was sent and so she worked to replace her fear with trust and did as the young man asked.

For a few moments nothing happened and the two merely sat waiting, Saryl’s eyes fixed on the young man. Preceded by gentle warmth, a soft golden glow appeared between the two. Pale and barely there, it hung in the air as if waiting. A sharp intake of air came from the healer, her eyes large with wonder and perhaps still a little fear over the ethereal light.

A soft voice rang in the plainsman's mind, Seeker, what do you seek? Not as strong or vibrant as it had been with Mirane, none the less it was still there.

"Spirit, we are seeking a child. Thanks to the blessing of Holy Illuminatus himself I was able to save the life of one child. However, I swore to protect all in His name. There may be a second child who is hunted by a pack of canine matar. As a hunter I know that things like this happen. But if the matar kill the child, not only will it die, but the parents of the child may well hunt down the matar, unable to see the true wisdom of the gods as they are blinded by anger and grief. Holy spirit, will you tell us if there is a second child, if it still lives and where it is? So we may save it in the name of Illuminatus and bring it's parents to understand the compassionate wisdom of Holy Illuminatus."

The golden glow intensified. There was another... and a picture formed itself inside Ember's mind.

A picture of another child slightly larger than the boy; this one looked like a girl with her long hair done in double braids down her back. Her throat had been ripped out and the abdomen torn open. A pack of eight small brown wolf-like creatures feasted on the child's tender organs.

The plainsman heard a sharp intake of air and the healer whisper, "Cavella."

There were no others and this one is beyond help the solemn voice announced.

Across from him the woman jerked her hands away, stumbled to her feet and made her way out the front door. The golden orb still hovered before Ember, silently waiting.

"Light!"

Exclaimed Ember. He wanted to go after Saryl, but the rite had to be finished, and there was still the matter of where to find the body.

"O servant of Holy Illuminatus, thank you for showing us this sad picture. I have one more request. Now that her spirit has returned to the light, will you tell me where the child's remains lie?"

Again, a picture formed itself before Ember showing the area where the dead child lay. It was not far from where he had found the injured child.

The image shifted and a small gathering of men were out searching the fields around a small village. A group of two men and a women were headed towards the healer's house in a small wagon pulled by a pony.

Through the open door, the sounds of the healer's tears could be heard along with the gagging reflexes of her stomach over this slain child she knew by name.

"Thank you spirit, servant of the Holy Light of Illuminatus, for helping us in our time of need. But now I must help Saryl."

Ember bowed his head to the floating light and then carefully erased the salt circle, praying as he did so.

"Holy Illuminatus. We humbly bow to you in gratitude for sending your spirit our aid us. We vow to use what you have shown us wisely, always following the true path made clear by your light. Holy Illuminatus, We humbly thank you for this boon."

When the ritual was finished he ran to the healer, embracing her instinctively and without hesitation, as if his touch could protect her from further harm.

"Saryl,"

He murmured into her ear.

"Saryl, Cavella has gone to the Light, but one child still lives thanks to you."

He wanted to say more, to tell her about the approaching group, but only did so when the woman in his arms seemed to be over the initial shock of seeing the dead child."

Fading gently, the glowing orb disappeared as Ember finished the ritual. Outside, the healer was no longer emptying her stomach but her tears flowed freely, her body shuddering with the deep sobs. Eventually, emptied of the sudden grief the girl grew quiet, an occasional trembling sigh all that was left as the young man held her in his arms offering comfort.

“Cavella is my niece, my brother’s child. How will I let them know? How did these two children come so far from town alone? The parents must be worried sick.”

Panic in her eyes, Saryl looked at the plainsman, “When we find her and take her home to her father, you must not tell them about the glowing orb. You must not tell them how we found her, only that we felt the living child would not have been alone and searched and found Cavella.”

She shook her head sadly, “They would not understand and worse, they might seek your hurt or… destruction. They tolerate me because I benefit them and I was one of them, once. They would not be so generous to a stranger I think.”

“We should go and find her body and quickly,” the woman bowed her head and drew a long trembling breath before letting it out slowly.

"I understand. I'll do as you say."

Replied Ember, thinking about how strange these people were. The tribes of the Isands were naturally mistrustful of strangers. It was a survival trait that had stood them in good stead. But healers were welcome anywhere, even if they came from outside Muchislie; as long as they did not proove to be false.

"Do your father and brother sometimes visit you from the village?"

He asked, being careful not to mention the orb now, especially not as he had more difficult news to break to the woman he was trying to help through her grief.

"There are two men and a woman approaching with a wagon. Whoever they are, from what you have told me they cannot see you this upset. I will make you something to help calm you down."

Valerian would be best, but failing that Jasmine or even Lavender tea.

Ember thought to himself, sure he would be able to find some of the green, white or purple flowered plants in Saryl's stock of herbs, if only he could do it quickly.

Taking another long breath and collecting herself, the healer looked at Ember as he questioned her about family visits.

"No," she shook her head softly. "Not unless they have someone direly ill. They are full of fear, Ember. They don't understand Illuminatus, don't understand how I can know things I have not been taught, don't understand how I can figure out what a sickness is by just looking sometimes."

"They fear magic of any form and fear anything that looks like magic. In their world, they have always been able to explain every event. Until me. I am a mystery to them. They need the gift I carry, but they fear it as well. If someone approaches they have a sick or injured villager. That is the only reason they come here."

"We will not have time to gather Cavella's body before they arrive," she sighed. "But we can be ready to depart and search with them at that time." She headed back into the house and into the kitchen to wash her face and hands before checking out the sleeping child.

Sayrl had perhaps a hundred bottles of dried herbs perched in her shelves along with more bottles of herbal mixtures, potions, poultices and salves made up for use as well as a wide assortment of herbs hanging from the ceiling. With some searching, Ember found the dried valerian he was looking for in a tall slender jar with a cork stopper atop it.

"Then I'd better be very careful while they are here."

Replied the plainsman.

"Fear's the biggest enemy of knowledge and wisdom, but not everyone is ready to step into the light. It can be very uncomfortable to go beyond the boundaries of what you know."

As I've found out for myself

He thought, and made doubly sure that every trace of the ritual circle was erased before going into the kitchen.

Uncorking the dried valerian Ember measured out a small amount of the powerful herb and added double the quantity of lavendar for flavour after putting water on to boil for tea. He made enough for both of them. Praying to his God was generally a calming experience, but the vision had been disturbing even for a hunter and he felt that a help for his nerves would not go amiss at that moment.

"Great Illuminatus, send that the discovery of this child brings these people closer to your light."

He murmured while Saryl was still with the boy. When she came out he handed her a cup of the delicately scented tea.

"Something to help calm you down. Perhaps I should make more for your visitors. It might help what comes after go more smoothly."

But as he waited for the healer's reaction to his concotion a sudden thought struck. How do we explain where I came from. I'm still not even sure where here is.

More to have something to do than necessity, the healer checked the child's bandages and arranged the coverings around the young boy so he would be comfortable before heading to the kitchen where Ember was busy. Already more together than previously, the healer accepted the tea with a smile.

"Thank you," she sipped at the tea and seated herself at the table. "Tea for the others would be nice. You will find a teapot to steep in the shelves on the other side of the fireplace."

Warm cup nestled in her hands, the woman shook her head, "I don't know how to lead them to where Cavella is without telling them how we know."

She looked up at Ember, "We will tell them you are a healer too, were passing by and found the boy and we didn't know there was another child of course. They won't ask questions that way. Not if they think you are a healer... they don't want to know details then." Smiling softly she drank more tea.

"Cavella, why? How is it you and this lad were so far from home and alone?" With a sigh, she set the cup down. "How did you find me, Ember? There hasn't been time or opportunity to ask until now," she laughed weakly.

Ember busied himself preparing tea for the visitors while Saryl spoke. He nodded his assent to "healer" subterfuge. He had sworn to protect others, and leaving out the whole truth seemed the wisest track.

"How about suggesting we split up to search for Cavella? If we send one of the people from the village in her direction she will be found relatively quickly and there will be no unfortunate link with us in their minds."

Unless they are extremely suspicious

The plainsman thought to himself, taking a sip of his tea to cover his pause before continuing.

"As to how I came here, it was by the grace of Illuminatus. I was in training on Oracle's Isle when he transported me here. I found myself on a plain not unlike the grasslands back in Muchislie. I followed the boy's trail and when I found him the Light showed me smoke coming from your chimney. Unfortunately I have no idea where exactly this is."

If there was time after Sary had given him his geography lesson Ember decided to ask her about the salves she had used while treating the boy. Hopefully it would keep both of them busy until the visitors arrived.

Eyes lost in thought, Saryl jerked out of her reverie with a nod and a sigh. "Yes, sending them in the direction to find her..." she choked down a sob, "body... would seem to be best. The less questions the better. There is much they will not understand already." Raising the tea to her lips, she drank deeply this time.

"Where are you?" She shrugged. "Another island. We call it Radnath but likely you have never heard of it. Not many visitors find their way to our shores, at least from what we hear. We are not a part of a larger kingdom and each village controls their own government in their own way. There are no soldiers as we have never had a need but there are plenty of enforcers to make sure the law is upheld and magic is not found in our midst. On rare occasions we have a visitor from another village or town, but that happens seldom enough it is a momentous occasion. We haven't had a visitor in Tiebora in many a yearn now. That's the village where I was born." She smiled and took another deep drink of her tea.

"We must seem odd to you, isolated and confined as we are. There are those young people who question the isolation and yearn to explore the world outside our shores, a world that is mostly fables and fantasies now. However, the curious and adventurous are dealt with and the urges to roam are quelled. The status quo is maintained and those who have power remain happy. That the populace as a whole is unhappy is immaterial. It is for their own good... their protection. Though many are not entirely sure just what we are being protected from."

With a soft chuckle, Saryl looked up at Ember, "forgive me for rambling on. I suppose my distance from the village and its enforcers has given me too much time to think about things. It is not what we are about now." A meow at her feet grabbed her attention.

"My darlings have good ears. Someone is coming," she smiled, stood up and went to the front door. "You may as well come out with me," she motioned to Ember as she made her way to one of two rocking chairs that sat on the covered porch. Sitting in the one nearest the door, the large calico cat leapt up into her lap and settled itself, golden eyes fixed on the horizon off to the right.

Peeking over the horizon came the small shape of what appeared to be a wagon plodding along. The calico meowed again and laid down in the woman's lap as an even larger orange tabby sat at her feet almost protectively.

Something welled up inside the plainsman while he listened to Saryls description of life on Radnath. Whether it was anger, disgust or sadness he couldn't tell, perhaps a mixture of all three. That such a perversion of "protection" should be allowed to continue went against everything he had ever believed in, both as a child under Mother Earth and now as a follower of Illuminatus.

A voice in the back of his head said

"Ah but Ember, are you really angry on behalf of Illuminatus or just for yourself. You chose to be a protector and the way these people protect themselves is different to how you believe they should be protected."

It sounded a lot like something Running Bison or one of the other elders might say and the counsel was wise...as far as it went. Saryl had also said those in power were happy, the adventurous dealt with and urges to roam quelled. It did not sound like protection as Ember conceived it, in fact it did not sound like protection at all. People were being denied the true wisdom of The Light and had been made to believe it was for their own good!

Oh Holy Illuminatus. Thanks to your Light I can see this is something that has to be changed. I pray I have the strength to do your will.

He thought to himself fiercely. When Saryl looked up from her "rambling" the plainsman quickly lifted his teacup to cover the expression on his face. The matter at hand was too important to disturb her now and anyway "Poor preparation makes a poor hunt." as Laughing Cougar often said.

Ember followed the healer out onto the porch and sat carefully on the unfamiliar device. To one used to squatting on the ground even an ordinary chair felt strange and one that moved trebly so. However the approaching guests needed to think him as ordinary as possible so sitting on the ground was out. He tried to relax like Saryl and her cats but just ended up looking stiff.

"What are your cat's names?"

He asked while they waited for the wagon to draw near.

Eyes gazing towards the horizon, Saryl gently ran her fingers through the calico’s long soft fur, waiting for the arrival of villagers. Visitors always made for a tense atmosphere and the healer took another long drink of her tea.

“My cats?” she looked at Ember. “Well, this fine lady is Mookie and my protector down there is Sunny. He is much more cantankerous than his name implies.” She grinned and nudged the tabby with her leg. He meowed up at the woman then turned his attention back to the horizon.

“You said you were training? Oracle Isle is your home? What were you in training for?” The calico yawned, stood and stretched before hopping down from the woman’s lap. After checking out Ember’s feet and finding his scent acceptable, Mookie rubbed up against his legs purring softly.

"Hello Sunny, I see we share an occupation."

Said Ember, with a smile full of real humour for the first time in what semed a long while.

"I was training on Oracle's Isle, but it's not where I originally come from. My home is one of the plains islands of Muchislie. I left following my...a vision."

He paused, wondering how much to tell her: I'm a novice priest with very little in the way of formal training and Iluminatus sent me here to protect you. Oh by the way, I'm planning to free your people as an added bonus. Yes well done Ember that will give her confidence in you. Do you remember hearing of any spirit quest where the person involved was prepared for what happened?

Mookie rubbing against his legs brought the 'priest' out of his reverie and he eant down to scratch behind her ears.

"Most of my training involved learning how to interpret the will of Illuminatus and ask for his help when necessary"

That at least was mostly true. He thought.

"I also have some knowledge of healing, hunting and... other techniques to help me protect those who need help. Unfortunately I didn't get far enough along the trail to learn to read or write. I'm supposed to document what I learn for others who might follow me. I guess I'll just have to remember it for later. Would some music help you relax? I have some small skill with the flute too."

“Oracle’s Isle? When we have more time, you will have to tell me about your home and this place of training. While we know there are other lands across the waters such as Citadel, city of rock and stone where the great leader lives, we don’t really know much about those lands. And the ones you spoke of I’ve not heard of before.”

The cat rubbing up against Ember caught the healer’s attention, “You’ve made a friend,” she smiled. “Mookie is very discerning about who she allows to see her much less touch her. She has only ever taken up with a few people and those were sick children brought here to recover.”

With a mournful call, Sunny leapt up on the porch rail, back arched in a stretch as sharp claws worked into the wood. On top of a small rise northeast of Saryl’s house a cart appeared. Pulled by a pony that plodded down a small overgrown path the small wagon was making pretty good time.

As the small wagon drew closer, two men sat atop the main seat and a woman sat in the back, feet dangling over the rear edge. The men could have been brothers with the same colored mousy brown hair and full beards that had a reddish cast to them. Dark eyes were set rather deep framing long angular noses. The driver differed in that he had dark bushy full eyebrows where the other man’s were almost sculptured with a pronounced arch the same color as his hair.

The woman in back had dark brown hair, almost black done up in a bun atop her head. They all wore clothing in shades of drab browns and creams. Their faces were as bleak and lifeless as the drab clothing they wore, set in determined grimaces. Though given the fact that they were searching for missing children, one could hardly fault them for that.

They drew up in front of the house and the bushy eye-browed one raised a brow at Ember before turning his attention to the healer, “Afternoon Saryl,” he nodded at her. “We’ve come lookin’ fer Talpern and Cavella. Don’t s’pose you’ve seen ‘em? Looks as if they wandered this way from what we can tell. They were s’posed to come home fer lunch but ne’er showed up.”

The woman on back didn’t move or speak, but watched the healer and the stranger on the porch closely, worry and fear the most obvious expression on her face. The man’s eyes kept flicking to Ember then back to the healer.

“Afternoon, Jorack,” she nodded. “Lardin, Maeta.” She looked at Ember, “This is Ember, a healer from another place gathering herbs and learning healing. Ember, these are my brothers, Jorack and Lardin. And Maeta is Jorack’s wife.”

Her eyes dropped down, “I have a young man inside. Could be it’s. I don’t know the young man. I haven’t seen Cavella,” her voice caught.

”But, if she was with this young man, we’d best go searching for her quickly.” She stood up and went to the porch rail.

Jorack squinted at her, “Why’s that Saryl? What’s wrong with the boy?”

Voice dropping down softly, she looked her brother in the eyes, “It looks like he was attacked by matar. He was severely injured. Ember found him and brought him here. He didn’t see any other children around and the boy needed attention quickly or he would have died.”

Lardin hopped off the wagon. “By the gods, no! His mother will be devastated! Can I see him, Saryl?” he asked.

The healer nodded. “He’s resting right now and we’ve given him something for the pain. Please don’t touch him, as he needs to sleep. I didn’t know you finally got married Lardin.” The man nodded as he rushed into the house where they heard an anguished moan followed by sobs.

Jorack nodded to the healer. “Married two yaren ago now. Married the widow Calandia and took in her son.”

He shifted his gaze to the plainsman, “Can ya show me where ya found the lad? Perhaps Cavella was nearby hiding from the matar. They’re not that smart, she could hide from them.” His voice cracked. The woman in the back wiped away tears.

"I'm not too sure myself about the lands outside my home island, or even how I came to Oracle's Isle. But if Illuminatus wills it perhaps someday I'll be able to tell you more."

Replied Ember, voice a little muffled as he bent down to stroke Mookie.

When Jorack, Lardin and Maeta arrived Ember let Saryl take the lead. He tried to watch both his companion and the new-comers carefully without obviously appearing to do so, rather like watching game on the grasslands without spooking it by looking directly at the animals.

Great Illuminatus, help me find the wisdom to do what is best for these people

He prayed silently to himself. Simply nodding as Saryl introduced him as a healer but trying to let the calm he felt when in the presence of his God expand to those around him, hoping it could somehow mitigate the pain that was to come and help them accept his suggestions more readily. Still, he spoke only when Jorack addressed him directly.

"I can show you exactly where he was. Now that you're here we should be able to search quite quickly."

As much as possible the priest let Jorack do the organizing of the search party. Ember guessed that the man was used to leading amongst this group and an outsider trying to impose himself might not go down well. Worse still, it could help point the finger of suspicion if, Light forbid, anything went wrong. When all had been served a cup of the calming tea to "refresh" them before the search he lead them to the point not far from Saryls house where he'd first arrived on the island and been confronted with the sight of the injured child.

"This was where I found the boy, but I saw no sign of a companion. Perhaps if we split up the search will go faster. I'll take this direction. "

Ember said, intending to go directly away from where the girl's remains lay in the hope that one of the others would then take a route which lead towards her.
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

Maeta took her tea and went inside to check on the young boy. In a moment she returned, “Jorack, I think I should stay here with Talpern. That way your si… Saryl can go look with you. She knows this part of the country better than us.”

Her husband nodded, “Good idea Maeta, if Saryl doesn’t mind that is.”

The healer shook her head, “No, I don't mind,” and the four climbed into the cart. It wasn’t long before they arrived at the spot where the grass was stained with the boy’s blood.

The healer nodded at Ember’s suggestion to split up and search. “I will search towards the trees with my brothe…” she began before Jorack cut her off.

“Actually Saryl, I think you should go that way, with your healer friend,” he nodded at Ember. “Larden can come search this way with me. I think we can search more ground that way,” he ended simply and headed off. Lardin looked at his sister, shrugged and followed his older brother through the grass, eyes searching for tell tale signs of Cavella’s presence from the small bloody patch in the grass.

As the healer walked with Ember, she listened for sounds of discovery from the others. “Jorack can be rather… harsh,” she said softly to the priest as they walk. “Please don’t take offense to anything he says. He really doesn’t mean it that way and I don’t believe he even knows he does it.” They made a pretense of searching as they walked and finally, what they waited for came though perhaps not as expected.

“Saryl, healer…” came the sound of Jorack’s voice strong across the grass. “We found her. Ye can come back to the cart now and we’ll return to pick up Talpern and Maeta.”

They returned and found the two men on the cart with the lifeless cold body of Cavella in the rear of the cart. As they walked up, Saryl stopped and gagged but managed to hold her stomach in check. Moving to the side of the cart, she looked up at the older brother.

“I don’t think you should take Talpern yet. His wounds are very serious and if they get infected he could die.”

Jorack shook his head, “No, he needs to be home with his own people," and his emphasis was unmistakeable.

"You can give Lardin the proper mixtures to treat him with. If he gets where they can’t help him, we can bring him back.” The man sat stiffly atop the cart staring straight ahead.

“It is of course your decision, Jorack… and Lardin.” She looked at the younger brother. His eyes were pools of pain and worry but he glanced away from her and looked down at his hands in his lap.

“I think I will walk back to the house Jorack. I need time to… think.” She looked at the priest, “You are free to ride back if you’d rather not walk, Ember.” Glancing at the still body of the child, she shivered slightly.

Jorack shrugged, “Ember… you walking too?”

"I understand."

Said Ember in reply to his companion's explanation of her brother's gruffness. In truth the plainsman was not sure that he did understand fully. Amongst the Steel Flutes words such as brother, sister, mother and father were not used after the adulthood ceremony, they were the attatchments of childhood and best left behind when childhood ended. Jorack did not want the connection with Saryl recognised either, but perhaps for a subtly different reason. Because she was a healer and therefore different, rather than because she was an adult and so free to walk her own trail.

When Ember saw the tiny ravaged body he too gagged and had to fight for control, wishing he could say the calming words of his prayer out loud. He had seen death before. He had even seen Cavella's body before. But to see her up close, to smell the blood and hear the flies which already buzzed about her corpse was infinitely worse than a wavering vision or the body of an adult, killed during the calculated risk of a hunt. Almost worse was the mental pain that went with seeing the result of his inability to protect two children.

The matar, as children of The Mother needed to eat, and took the weakest and easiest prey, which is natural. But why did Illuminatus send me here, when I'd only be able to save one of these children? Have I done something wrong? Illuminatus forgive me, I don't understand. If I can't protect even two children how can I help a whole people?

He thought to himself, tears rolling down his cheeks. Then he realized that he was being spoken to.

"Ember… you walking too?"

"I...I'll ride."

Replied the plainsman, not taking the hint. Perhaps he could find out what he was supposed top be doing here by talking to these people. No matter how reticent. He climbed into the cart.

"I'll see you back at the cottage."

He said to Saryl and waited for Jorack to set the strange contraption moving, concentrating for the first few moments simply on not falling off.

Holy Illuminatus, help me find what to say to these people, if that is your will

He prayed silently before once more attempting to reach out with the peace he felt whilst at prayer to reach the other two men and perhaps learn something from them.

"I'm deeply sorry for your loss Jorack, Lardin."

He began.

"I have never lost anyone close to me so I can only imagine how you must feel. What will happen to Cavella when you get her back to her own people?"

Perhaps he could learn something by finding out who carried out the funeral rites.

Wrestling with her own emotions and totally unaware of the turmoil stirring inside Ember, the healer simply nodded at his reply that he would ride back. Actually, she found herself grateful for the opportunity to walk alone and sort out her grief… and her anger. Almost certainly, they would be forced to bring the boy back to her after he was too sick to help and almost as certainly the lad would continue to worsen and die despite her best efforts. She had seen it happen far too often to doubt the inevitability of it.

Just as certainly, she knew that to argue with Jorack to leave the boy would be a hopeless waste of time. The sick were never brought to her until they were near death, much beyond anything the city grannies could deal with. Despite her gift, she was only to treat the ones the grannies had given up on.

On the cart, Jorack pushed the small horse for speed making the ride rough and bumpy. When the stranger, Ember, asked about the child’s lifeless body, the man shrugged. “We will do nothing with Cavella as she is gone from us.”

A trace of suspicion edged his voice. “The lifeless remains will be destroyed so that her death does not usher more death into the people. Is the will of the Mother not done so everywhere?”

He didn’t understand why the stranger would ask such a question unless… perhaps this healer from afar was testing them to see if they indeed did follow the precepts the Mother had laid forth long ago. Jorack smiled, satisfied that his answer would pass any test put forth by an enforcer.

Ember clung to the cart for dear life. Even so, at Jorack's callous reply his grip loosened enough in surprise that he almost fell from the unfamilliar contraption. Luckily his desperate attempt to hold on kept his true feelings from showing on his face.

Light! What an abomination

the plainsman thought to himself. Saryl's warning and the man's suspicious tone the only things keeping him from voicing the thought aloud.

"Ah..yes, that is the way of the Mother."

he replied, almost choking on the lie.

Holy Illuminatus, how can I help these people? I am just a simple hunter...

And suddenly he realized, or was made to realize, that despite his lack of skill in conversation he did have experience which could help, but in this hunt his quarry was not the plains bufalo but a more elusive prey. But howto use that knowledge? First he needed to identify just what it was he was hunting.

Something Saryl can't tell me...How they truly feel about the way the Mother is worshiped! Now that's what I call dangerous prey. And it's not one that can be easily taken by surprise...Light let me be right. They are already suspicious of me. Illuminatus help camouflage me from that suspicion.

"It's hard to lose someone you love. I remember when my sister was taken from us, I wanted to spend more time with her but..."

He left it hanging, hoping his quarry was hungry enough to come into the open and take the bait.

Wearing a smile of victory the plainsman could not see, Jorack urged the horse to pick up its pace to a canter. The cart continued to bounce across the uneven ground as the warm sun began it’s decent that would eventually bring it to the horizon. The scent of death was carried backwards by the movement of the cart, back towards the plainsman.

At Ember’s halting comment, Jorack snorted derisively but his brother turned his head slightly giving heed to this new healer’s words. Lardin turned in his seat and looked at Ember.

“Taken from you? What do you mean? Taken by whom? Enforcers? An ene…” the younger brother broke off suddenly as the wagon hit a large hole nearly bumping Lardin off his perch.

“Jorack! Please slow down. I am in as much a hurry as you, however it won’t avail us to injure ourselves,” he looked at his older brother, “or the horse… in our effort to rush.” Jorack snarled at his brother but did slow the horse back to a quick walk again.

Enforcers? Are they like the Elders? Or the hunter's circle? Whatever they are, they obviously have these two worried. Looks like I laid a trap for a deer and caught a nursing she-bear!

Thought the plainsman, his concern once more helpfully covered up by Jorack's reckless driving. Though the thought did pass through his head that the man might have been deliberately trying to shake him out of the wagon.

When the bizzare conveyance resumed a less breakneck speed Ember was ready with his reply to Lardin. He prayed to his God once more, this time that his acting would pass the test

" No No, not the Enforcers she...was married to a man in another village."

He said, and then added as offhandedly as possible.

"How many Enforcers are there in your town? Those in our village would never have let two young children wander off on their own."

Hitting another bump, the cart bounced violently almost throwing all three men off, the lifeless body of the child plopped like a sack of wet sand back onto the rough boards of the cart. The younger brother scolded the older again for his recklessness. Jorack grumbled something, but did slow the horse.

"We have as many enforcers as it takes to keep the law," the older brother answered Ember, a note of question in his voice. "But enforcers don't keep anyone from leaving or entering the city, not even children. That is not their function."

Lardin joined in, "Truly, right now we haven't many enforcers as there has been no need. Things go well with the people. We have only six at present, but it is not their job to guard the whereabouts of children exactly, unless they were gathering for unlawful reasons. It is the father's job to watch over his house and make sure it is lawful and safe. Our children play and explore in the fields around the city. I don't imagine anyone saw these two sneak off." The man's voice broke again and he hushed.

"Mine would not have sneaked. You say that as if they conspired to do wrong Lardin. Cavella would not have done such. I brought her up right... always correctly. She knew the law and followed it wholly. She and Talpern just wandered off without thinking. They were careless, not disobedient!” The older brother’s voice rang out harsh and strong; a hint of what sounded like fear evident in his tone.

“I was not questioning your obedience to the law, Jorack. Nor was I saying the children were disobedient,” the younger brother explained, his voice calm and steady.

“However, they knew better than to go past a certain distance and did so anyway. They were not alone in the fields so if they had not purposed to go further than they should, they would have been seen and stopped. That only leaves that they snuck away. They are children, naturally curious and wanti…”

“MY Cavella was NOT curious!” Jorack screamed back cutting his younger brother off mid sentence. “You well know that curiosity is the foundation for disobedience and discipline, Lardin! It is not tolerated and subject to severe punishment. They were not paying attention and wandered off, nothing more than that. Caught up in silly games and the inattention of childhood, yes. Curious... NO!” Jorack’s face turned red as he shouted angrily.

“You will not say that of my daughter! Would you lay that curse on your son?” The older man’s voice broke and he turned his attention back to the rough path they followed. Saryl’s house was visible off in the distance. It would not be long now before they arrived. Lardin sat quietly, looking down at his hands in his lap.

Finally, the younger brother turned and spoke again, “You said your sister was taken from you and it was by marriage? How so? Did she marry into a family that had been cut off?”

A nursing she-bear with a sore tooth!

Thought Ember, and kept as quiet as possible while the two brothers argued, trying to remember everything that was said. If he was to have a chance at the "deer" he'd need to observe the "bear" as carefully as possible. And suddenly he realized he'd stepped away from the bear and into the path of a charging buffalo.

Light! How can curiosity be wrong? Who has twisted the Mother's teachings like this?

He wondered, amazed at how easy it was becoming to keep the shock from showing on his face, but still, after Jorack's outburst there was only one way to react...

Just keep quiet Ember and ask nothing more, Saryl will be able to point out where you went wrong with th

or so he thought until Lardin asked about his sister.

"I...Yes. unfortunately she did marry into a family which had been...cut off...I'd rather not talk about it."

The confused plainsman replied as best he could, cursing his forgetfulness. Had this been a real hunt he might not have returned to the tents alive.

A nod from the younger brother ended any further conversation and the two rode silently, a stiff uncomfortable silence that even the plainsman could feel. It wasn't long before the wagon pulled up in front of Saryl's house. The older brother pulled the horse to a halt and set the brake, then looked over at Lardin.

"Go get Maeta and your son. We need to get back to town. It'll be dark soon." Jorack relaxed a bit and propped his foot up in a stance of waiting while the younger brother climbed down with a nod.

Maeta was standing at the door of the healer's house. A frown creased her forehead. Motionless, she stood in the doorway staring at her husband, ignoring the approach of Lardin. The younger brother stopped by the door, his eyes full of pain and compassion. Not taking her eyes from her husband, the woman stepped out of the doorway and onto the porch.

After a long silence, she spoke, her voice soft and full of emotion, "What news husband?" Jorack shook his head and looked out over the fields. His wife simply stood mutely on the porch beside the door.

"We need to hurry. It'll be dark soon. Come get in the wagon, Maeta," her husband barked roughly as she stood staring at him, unmoving from the porch. Lardin appeared, his son cradled in his arms.

Suddenly, the woman came to life and met the man at the doorway, "No Lardin. Your son is badly injured. If you take him back to the village, he will die. Saryl will stand the best chance of saving his life." Turning back towards the wagon, she glared at her husband.

"We have... lost..." her voice cracked and she paused, swallowed hard before continuing, her voice rough and full of emotion. "There is no reason you should loose your son too."

"He should be with his people!" the older brother growled.

"He should be where he can receive help!" his wife countered firmly.

"The witch will teach him things he should not know. She will contaminate his thinking, foster unlawfulness in him. Would you save his body at the cost of his soul?"

"I do not think Saryl would do that, Jorack. And he is far too wounded and ill to be contaminated by anything for the present." She took a step towards her husband. "And he is not your son, it is not your decision to make. He belongs to Lardin now and the decision is his and his alone."

The older brother snorted derisively, "Why do you think Saryl is out here, Maeta? Have you never wondered why she is not allowed in the city? Why she was bannished? She follows gods and ways that are not of the Mother. Teachings that are unlawful and dangerous. In compassion, the enforcers allowed her life rather than the standard death, with the condition that she keep her contamination away from the village, away from our people."

"But not everyone feels that way, Jorack. Some feel that the enforcers were unfai..." she was cut off by her husband choking with rage and red faced.

"You will not talk that way! You are my wife and you WILL follow the law of the people, the law of the Mother! You will not humiliate me and bring derision to my house!" In a smooth leap, he leapt off the wagon, marched to the porch, grabbed his wife by the arm and yanked her off, dragging her towards the wagon.

He paused at the end of the wagon, "And if you challenge me again," his voice was low and menacing, "make no mistake about it Maeta, I will turn you into the enforcers. They won't be as merciful with you. You have no skill to make them spare your life." He picked her up by the waist and plopped her into the back of the wagon before turning his attention to Lardin still standing in the doorway.

"Don't just stand there! Come on, the sun will be down soon," he motioned to his brother. Lardin shook his head.

"No, Maeta is right. If I take my son back to town, he will die. Here, Saryl can save him perhaps." His voice cracked with emotion as a tear ran down his cheek, "I want my son alive, Jorack. I am sorry about Cavella, but I will do whatever it takes to keep Talpern alive."

"Fine!" the older brother stormed round the cart and climbed back into the driver's seat. "He is your son, it is your decision. I wash my hands of it." Jorack released the brake and stirred the horse to motion, his wife bouncing on the back of the cart, tears flowing freely now as she sat next to her dead daughter. Lardin stood silently on the porch holding his son in his arms watching his brother drive off.

After the mess he'd made of the hunt Ember was glad of the silence, uncomfortable or not. It gave him a short respite to mull over what, if anything, he'd learned from the exchange. Reviewing their conversation he found himself once more amazed and disgusted by what had come out. The ways of the Mother had somehow been changed out of all recognition.

?gThe lifeless remains will be destroyed so that her death does not usher more death into the people.?h

Jorack had said. Where was the ceremony to return the child naturally to the Mother?fs embrace? Since when had followers of the Mother believed death ushered more death into the people?

Disgusted as he was, perhaps worse was the role of the Enforcers. Those who kept the law a law which obliged parents to hinder their own and their children?fs natural curiosity. Without curiosity how could they grow into wisdom, the blessing the Light on all thinking beings.

These were the thoughts running through the plainsman's head when the wagon jolted to a halt and he began walking back to the house. As the argument between Jorack and his wife escalated Ember wanted to speak out but thinking of his recent false steps kept him silent. Only when Jorack moved to manhandle his wife back into the cart did he move and then it was but a single step before good sense intervened, by the grace of the Light.

As he turned back to the house, wanting to comfort Lardin but afraid to voice his feelings. Marvelling at the strength love for his child had given the man. He finally recalled something Maeta had said during the argument.

"not everyone feels that way, Jorack. Some feel that the enforcers were unfai.."

She had been going to say unfair. Not all the people on this island were of a mind with Jorack!

Holy Illuminatus, send that your Light will illuminate the dark places on this island, comfort this man in his time of hardship and help those others who have been led down false trails find the true path.

He prayed.

Shaking his head, Jardin turned and moved back inside the house with Talpern, his face drawn in distress. He sighed and hugged teh boy close before laying him back in his bed.

"He is not my son by blood, but his death would crush the life from my dear wife. How can I do something I know will cause her such pain? How can any parent stand back and watch a child die needlessly?" He sat holding the boy's hand talking to no one in particular.

Mookie rubbed affectionately against the younger brother's ankles and purred loudly while Sunny sat in the window watching for Saryl.

Ember shook his head and despite the circumstances, smiled ruefully at himself.

You really are not doing well today Oh Great Hunter

He thought. He hadn't even realized that Saryl had yet to return. Even that plodding cart was faster than someone walking. Especially someone with a lot to think on.

He entered the house and began to make a fresh pot of tea. The same one they had drunk before the search. Lardin would probably need calming down, and so would Saryl when she got back. Ember knew he certainly did.

Two cups of steaming tea in hand the plainsman moved to where Lardin sat with his son. He wanted to comfort the man, but his recent conversation in the cart had taught him the value of circumspection, even if Jorack was no longer present.

"I'm just going to check Talpern's wounds again."

Ember said as he offered one of the cups to Lardin, and then continued as he busied himself with the boy.

"How did Talpern come to be your son if he is not of your blood? I hope you don't mind my asking because of course a parent's feelings don't just have to be for one of their own blood. It's only natural that for a child as helpless as this, who you've raised and taught; a child you've watched grow and who's come to look up to you with trust will feel as much one of your own as a blood relative."

He paused a moment before plunging on. Circumspection be damned.

" That is the way of the Mother. What is Natural. Natural compassion. Natural concern for the pain of others. Protecting the young so they can grow and live. Not rules which say they must die because healing them is somehow "wrong" . The way of the Mother is to reduce suffering, eliminate it if possible, but not increase it, never that...I apologize if I've spoken too much Lardin. If I've offended you. But if it counts for anything I believe you made the right choice and I wanted you to know that."

He took a nervous swallow of too hot tea and went back to checking on Talpern's wounds, heart beating so fast he almost didn't feel the pain in his tongue.

Oh Holy Illuminatus. I hope this isn't a sign that I've spoken badly

Accepting the tea greatfully, Lardin smiled at the healer's question and reached down to pet the cat at his feet.

"I married his ma. I never had children, had no wife ta have children with. Bout a yearn after her man's death, I was helping the widow Calandia with some repairs on her house. Her husband had been sick long time before he died and roof was in dire need. I had time, so I offered ta help with a few other young men. We took ta talking and a yearn later, we were joined." He sat his tea down on the table by the bed and smiled at Ember.

"I tell ya what, that woman is the best thing that ever happened ta me. Kind and gentle, she is my world. I'd do anything so she didn't have ta be hurt any more. Life has been hard on her and she deserves better. I just try to give it to her. Now this... " he looked down at the boy.

"And it's not healing they don't like," he replied to Ember's speech about the Mother and things natural. "It's Saryl. She's... well, she's different. Always has been. When she was just a child, about eightish or so, she'd know things there was no way she should. She'd know stuff that was wrong with folks. Worse, she'd know what to do to make em better. Elders didn't like it, didn't like it a bit. The old grannies complained and the enforcers started checking her out." The younger brother shook his head.

"Saryl never did nothin to hurt anyone, only help. She has a good pure heart. But, the enforcers said she had a poisoned mind, too inquisitive. So, they made ma and pa isolate her. Couldn't play with other children, couldn't go ta school, couldn't go ta worship. When she turned 14, they built this house for her and moved her out here."

Looking down at his hands, the man's voice softened. "I used to sneak out here to see her sometimes, when I thought I wouldn't get caught. She'd," his voice cracked with emotion and he paused.

"She'd cry when I came. She was so lonely. I brought her the cats," he sighed.

"Our people really aren't bad, healer. Though it must seem that way. It's just.. well, sometimes old people get stuck in their ways and don't want anything ta change or be different. Poor Saryl just got caught in the wrong time I reckon. Ma always said it was a gift that Saryl had, a gift from the gods. But, the old women didn't see it that way."

He stopped and looked up at Ember, "But, you must have the same sort of things in your village?"

Ember sipped his tea as he listened to the other man open up. It was amazing the difference when Jorack's overbearing presence was no longer around.

"You certainly argue a good case for marriage."

said the plainsman half jokingly, to give himself some time to think.

"I've yet to have that experience I...was ineligable when I left my people."

He added, still surprised at how the near admission of his less-than-adult status now brought nothing like the aching void it had in his old life, and only a slight pause for breath as he spoke.

"If I hadn't seen the compassion you and Maeta showed for Talpern I admit, I'd probably have judged you all to be like Jorack. "

He took a deep breath, again attempting to expand the feeling of calm he felt in prayer to the other man.

Light set my words on the correct path

"You have spoken truly, and out of respect for you so should I... I lied to you in the cart, because I didn't want to upset Jorack more than necessary. I am a healer, but I don't come from this island. My people are no better or worse than yours. Like you we're advised by our elders, but no-one tries to prevent change. When we look around at Mother Earth we see she is always changing. Part of that change comes as gifts like Saryl's. Another part comes in the shape of children. Both come from the gods and both should be used wisely."

He realised he was preaching again and looked carefully to see what kind of effect his revelation had upon the man sitting across from him.

"There are no enforcers amongst my people and I'm curious as to who gives them orders amongst yours. is it the 'grannies'? The old wqmen you spoke of?"

Lardin listened carefully to the plainsman, his eyes widening slightly at the revelation that Ember came from somewhere off the island. The village rarely had visitors from other villages, much less from off the island, though there were tales of far away places across the waters. Only a few people from this village had ever traveled and so they had never actually seen the watery expanse, only heard tales of it.

"Jorack is not evil, only... ambitious. Though I suspect he would chaff sorely if anyone accused him of such. He had hoped to be an enforcer when he was younger. Now that he has passed the acceptance age, he hopes one day to become part of the village council. In order to be considered, one has to be above reproach in anyway, a devout follower of the law for how can one enforce what one does not follow themselves?"

"The council is the ones that reinforce the laws, draw up new laws and lead the people. Most of these are older, though when a council member passes from this realm, he or she is replaced with a younger member." He chuckled softly, "The grannies just complain because they are old. However, they can also be very harsh on those who seem to be outside the natural order of things, like Saryl."

"The unusual is shunned and eliminated. If a plant grows oddly or a fruit becomes corrupted in its growth, they are destroyed lest they infect other growing things around them. In this way we keep the natural order intact."

Moaning softly, the youngster stirred and Lardin stroked his hair gently and laid his hand on the boy's arm. The child breathed deeply and drifted back to peaceful sleep.

At the healer's comments about the natural nature of change, the younger brother frowned. "But, change is evil. It is not an aspect of the Mother. She is regular and predicatable. She send us the seasons, like clockwork and yes, with the seasons changes come. But they aren't random or unexpected."

"We know when the harvest moon shows its face the winds increase and chill as nature prepares to sleep and the animals will become more active for a time. It is the end of growth and the beginning of sleep, time to harvest the last of the warm season crops, time to season the fields and prepare them for sleep."

"When the planting moon shows its face, it is time to turn the earth in preparation for its awakening and planting time. The winds become slower and the animals bring forth their young to flourish during the warm season."

"Sometimes wild winds and storms invade the land, but these are not from the Mother. These come from gods of chaos and confusion causing great destruction and often death. The Mother would never send such to us, it is not her nature."

"So you see, the Mother is not the agent of change, but cycles. All things revolve in their cycles and the land is good and prosperous and all things are plentiful. When change comes, it upsets the natural cycle of things and it is not good."

"Surely you see the balance in what I say? Are things not so in your lands? Is there not order and consistency?"

The plainsman sipped his tea as Lardin spoke. He made some good points. The way of the Mother was to move in cycles, at least as far as Ember understood it. He had been too young to pay much attention to the details of the elders' teachings. He remembered most of the great stories though. He could also never forget how it felt to be held by the Mother out on the grasslands, to feel the balance of the earth and sky, plenty and want, life and death, in which his people lived. He paused frequently as he spoke. Trying to articulate the complex concepts as he went along, as much for himself as for Lardin.

"I understand the sense of what you say, though not some of the things you've described. The Mother does change regularly, and the seasons are predictable, but simple predictability is not everything. If our lives were wholy predictable then we would be no more than a horse or buffalo, though the Mother loves them just as much, as she does all living things. But she also wants us to grow. To worship her more directly than with our mere existance. To that end we've been given an intelligence and awareness greater than animals, and a guide on our journey."

He paused for thought, and to see how his words were affecting the other man.

"I don't believe Jorack is evil. You obviously thought I might see him that way, and I admit it was difficult for me to stand by and let him do what he did, but it shows how such things can be seen in two different ways. You know him and the reason behind his actions. I don't. In life we have the same problem. For example, on my home island every few yaren there are huge fires. They blaze throughout the grasslands, forcing animals to run until they drop, scorching the few trees devastating the land and even killing people who are unable to find safety. The fires appear to be terrible, started by lightning from the Father and scarring the Mother's face like some kind of holy war. But we know that the fires are not all bad. In fact without them the grasslands would be a barren desert. By burning the grass it allows new groth to come through. Many seeds cannot sprout without the heat of the flames and the animals which die are generally the weaker and older ones, leaving the strongest to produce stronger children in the next generation. It appears evil, but is necessary for the land to survive. It is like the two ends of one spear. One end is pointed and can be used to kill, the other is blunt and can be used to help you walk over uneven ground.

If it were not for our guide, and our intelligence, my people would have been killed by such disasters many times over. When the flames are fanned by the wind, no-one can outrun them. When game is scarce, without knowing how to track we would die from hunger. But thanks to the Mother and Father they produced a guide for us, the god Illuminatus. Change and difficulty force us to grow and thanks to Illuminatus we have the capacity to grow. As our knowledge and wisdom increase so does our awareness of the blessings we recieve from the Mother and so does our ability to thank her for such blessings. Everything she does is for love of us, so that we can become closer to her. Change is hard, and can be difficult to understand, but that doesn't mean it's evil. What is wrong is to deny change because it's denying our chance to grow closer to the Mother."

Listening carefully, the younger brother nodded occasionally as he followed the newcomers reasoning. When Ember began to describe the fires of his home, the man's eyes grew wide with disbelief. When Ember had finished, Lardin shook his head.

"You believe the Mother and Father send devastating killing fires to you? Why? How? Don't you believe the Mother loves you? What mother, even just a human mother, would purposely hurt their child in the pretense of making them stronger? Hurting only hurts and twists the core of beings and things. Nothing is made stronger by hurting.

"You say your land grows better after the burning, but why would the mother create the ground in such a way that fire is necessary for its continuance? Perhaps that land was never meant for animal life but plant life only? In which case your people changed the order of things and moved where they did not belong?

This makes no sense to me. We protect our children, not burn them, hurt them. Are we better than the Mother then? I think not!"

Lardin's voice was calm as he talked through his thoughts. Not adversarial, his tone indicated he was truely trying to understand Ember's thinking, but it was proving a difficult concept for him to grasp.

"The Mother loves all of us."

Replied Ember, shocked at how his words had affected the other man. How could something so natural appear so twisted. Perhaps he himself was in the wrong?

No! Worship of the Mother may be different in other places, but to stifle creativity, to prevent children from even setting foot on the trails to wisdom. That can't be right.

He thought. Praying to the light for calm, and trying to extend that calm to Lardin so they could find some way to meet. Some common ground... And like a flash of light from Illuminatus itself a way opened up before the plainsman.

Lardin had spoken about

"time to harvest the last of the warm season crops, time to season the fields and prepare them for sleep."

and also:

"When the planting moon shows its face, it is time to turn the earth in preparation for its awakening and planting time."

'Harvest,' 'Planting,' activities the plains hunter had almost no experience of. Likewise Lardin did not understand the natural cycles of Ember's land though they were all aspects of the Mother. He had to tell a story that had its roots in was common to both of them. Like the light of Illuminatus, which shone on both their lands, no matter how different. And as Ember watched the other man care for his son, the novice priest knew what that common ground they shared.

"Perhaps my example was a bad one."

Ember said, and paused a moment before continuing.

"You love your son. You've already shown that you love him so much you'd do almost anything to protect him, to give him a chance to grow. Don't you think the Mother's love is the same? Saryl is an outcast because she appears different to the others of the Mother's children. But it was the Mother's love that produced Saryl's gift and healed Talpern, not something evil. What is important is to be able to tell the difference between what is divine and what is evil. Rules can't do that, as you've seen for yourself. Only the love in your heart, the divine wisdom which comes directly from the Gods can tell you the truth. I know you felt that awareness in the decision you just made. But if you shut of your child's awareness of this divine wisdom, then he may never be able to tell what is truly good and truly evil. If you love him, and I know you do, will not take that ability away from him."

This is so hard I never intended to be a preacher. Now I know why he's called the Great Mystery. It's so dificult to explain clearly. I only pray that I'm speaking in a way he can understand, not just as a priest of Illuminatus.

The younger brother shook his head and sighed, "It is a difficult issue to sort through. The rules give us structure and stability. Without them, chaos and confusion would follow. However, there are those who feel the Tabitarial has interpreted the Law to suit their own needs, not the needs of the people. But, that is a hard issue to prove and debate over such things is not... invited. After all, the Tabits are chosen by the Mother herself. Surely she wouldn't put someone in a position of authority if they were evil."

A race to the door by the cats and foot steps on the wooden porch preceeded the young healer's return to her house. Saryl opened the door and stepped inside, her face showing her surprise and confusion to see Lardin and his son still present. A warm smile quickly replaced the look of shock.

"Lardin! I expected you would have been... well, no matter. I am glad you are still here, glad you elected to keep your son here." A brief frown crossed her face, "You know you probably invite trouble on yourself and your family by doing so though?" The younger brother nodded.

"But, I could not accept the pain that the boy's death would cause. It seemed a lesser evil to stay here and ensure the boy's health and I will deal with the enforcers and take whatever punishment should be decided." With a sigh he put his hand on the boy's head and his sister nodded.

"If we can keep him free from infection, he stands a good chance to recover though his legs will always bear the scars." The healer looked at Ember, "I am not sure what part you played in this Ember, but thank you!"

Smiling, the girl sat down wearily in a rocking chair by the fireplace. The yellow cat, which had been circling her feet, leapt up into her lap demanding attention.

"I heard the two of you discussing something from outside. Please, don't let me interrupt. It sounded fascinating," she encouraged them as she rocked gently in her chair.
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

"The Tabitarial..."

Ember began, but left the question hanging when the cats made their rush to the door.

"I had nothing to do with Lardin's decision to stay. It was his love for Talpern which kept him here. But I'll do all I can to make sure that neither of you suffer any punishment from the enforcers."

He said, almost relishing the idea of a physical struggle. It surely couldn't be any harder than the philosophical debate they'd been engaged in when Saryl returned. When she asked them to resume the plainsman decided that the question he'd been about to ask might give him time to reassess things before stepping once again into the hunt.

"We were just looking at how the structure and stability provided by rules needs to be tempered with wisdom in their application. Lardin told me that the Mother's laws here are interpreted by the Tabitarial and the ...Tabits? are chosen by the Mother herself. How does she choose them? In my tribe we have to have mastered at least four of the Seven Trails of Wisdom before we can be considered for entry to the circle of elders. I do not know much after that, except that the candidate has to undergo a vision quest, and that if any adult in the tribe has a negative vision then it may be impossibe to become an elder at that time."

Lardin answered quickly, "There are seven Tabits and they serve from the time they are selected until their death or they are unable to serve because of illness. We have no trials they must go through. When one of the rulers passes on or is no longer able to serve, a new one is selected.

"First, the people go to the house of decision and submit the name of one they feel has lived by the law and supported the community. Enforcers may not be nominated as Tabit. The names are recorded on small slips of paper and put into a large drum. The people have a week to consider who they will nominate and make their submission.

"At the end of that week, a special ceremony is held in the house of decision. All the villagers gather and there is a ceremony honoring Mother Earth, thanking her for her continued goodness to us and asking for her blessing and wisdom on the priestess as a new leader is picked. The priestess then draws a name from the drum and that person is the new Tabit. Afterwards, there is an elaborate feast that goes late into the night, celebrating the love of the Mother and the continued stability of the village."

Nodding, Saryl chimed in, "It is quite an event. I remember one when I was a child. What a party and everyone was so... friendly!" She smiled fondly at the memory. It had been one of the few times when she had felt like she was a part of the village, not forced to sit or stay apart from all the others. On that one night, she had sat with her family just like everyone else and enjoyed the food, the laughter and the fellowship.

The healer looked back at Ember. Coming from off the island, this young man was a fountain of information about other places and other ways. She knew that even on this island, all villages didn't operate exactly the same. Being the furthest inland, she thought perhaps their village was the least influenced by outsiders and thus had probably not changed much over the years. She figured those closer to the shores had more outside influence that would subtly shift ways of thinking over time.

"What is this trails of wisdom you speak of, Ember?" Saryl asked as the large yellow cat found it's way into her lap and curled up.

"So the Tabits serve only one village like the elders of my tribe. Do the people have any say in the decisions of the Tabits?"

Asked the plainsman, thinking of the sometimes interminable meetings of his tribe. Fun for the younger children who could play together and obviously important to the adults. But for those of his age who had yet to pass the test of adulthood it was very boring. They were not adults and so could not voice an opinion but were too conscious of their status to play with the youngsters.

"The Seven Trails are represented by the seven elements: stone, earth, metal, water,wood, fire & air. Stone is the 1st element because it represents the true solid reality of the Gods, which is normally hidden from us but can be reached by prayer and meditation. So it's often symbolised by a jewel rather than an ordinary stone. When your skill in prayer and meditation reaches a very high level it's said that you can always perceive the will of the gods and follow it in everything. That way the other trails become unnecessary.

He paused to see if they were following.

"The second element, earth represents healing as it's the element of the Mother. Third is metal and represents the fighting arts. Fourtth is water, which for my tribe means the flow of life from past to present and so it contains all our stories and the history of our tribe. They're passed down orally, but I suppose it could also mean the skill to pass down a written record, if you knew how to read & write. I think it also includes the ability to understand elvish. That's the language of the little people who gave us many of our stories and taught us much of the history of the world. Next is wood which is the element that along with earth signifies life and growth so that trail is one of skills that support life, such as hunting or gathering herbs. From what you have said Lardin I think planting & preparing the land are wood skills too."

Said the plainsman, looking at Lardin as he spoke.

"Fire skills build on the wood ones. Like fire consumes wood as it burns. So hunting is a wood skill and cooking is fire; smithing changes metal into useful tools; dyeing, tanning and sewing make hides into clothes. Fire is also the light of Illuminatus without who we could never have discovered all the skills. The last element, air is connected with the Father of the Heavens and making music, as both singing and playing the flute need air and music helps carry our prayers to the Gods. I've heard that other tribes have different interpretations of some of the elements but this is how I was taught."

Lardin looked at the plainsman blankly when asked about the people having a say in decisions. The healer shook her head and smiled.

"Why would the people need a say in those decisions? The Tabitarian members are chosen for their wisdom and rightness. They decide so the people can focus on their lives and families, on those things that are important, not the price of grain or what goods we will trade with other villages."

After listening carefully to Ember tell of the seven trails, Saryl nodded. "We have similar customes though we don't think of them as trails or paths. It is just the way it is." She shrugged and continued on.

"One must know the history of the people in order to understand the way we are now and the influence of the Mother amongst us. All children learn religion, history and culture starting at an early age."

"Learning a trade and working hard at it is another trait we value as trade and commerce bring those things to us we cannot do for ourselves. The village has no weapon's smith and so we trade goods for knives and axes from other villages. This village specializes in fabrics, wool, cotton and even some silks. Other villages rely heavily on us and trade for our fabrics." It poured out of the healer naturally and had the plainsman not known she was an outcase of the village, he would never have guessed by this discourse.

"What manner of things do your people say to the leaders about their rulings?" Lardin finally found his tongue. "Do you mean to say the people are openly critical of the leaders?"

"Yes, all adults have the chance to comment on the decisions of the circle of elders. I know that sounds strange."

Replied Ember, trying a different tactic. Laughing Cougar had often given the example of a wolfpack in their practice sessions. When running down a deer they do not attack from the front but turn to face the same direction as the deer itself, subtly guiding it`s movements until it could be brought down in a place of the wolves` choosing. He was trying to turn and see things from Lardin's point of view then maybe he could lead both Saryl and the other man in the direction he chose.

"Why do you think my people need a say in the decisions? What advantages do you think it could give us? Despite the wisdom of the elders."

Brought to a stop for a moment, Lardin's face reflected intense thought. After many flickers, the man shook his head.

" I don't see why they would need a say. The Tabitarials job is to take care of things like that. They should make the same decision the people would make. That is why there are seven Tabits rather than one or two. So it is an accurate reflection of the people and not the whims of a few. If we cannot trust their judgement, then they should not be Tabits.”

Saryl sat quietly, thinking while her brother spoke his mind. When he finished, she still sat for several flickers before agreeing with him, “Much as I dislike many things about what our people have become, I have to agree with Lardin. If the people were asked for input, what would be the good of the Tabitarial, what need would there be of them?” She spoke with control and careful thought as if weighing every word, as if used to weighing every word.

“I will agree not every decision they make is perhaps as just or good as I would like, but they mirror what the people would have done. In fact, in my case the people would have put me to death out of fear. It was a few tabits who saw something different, saw that I didn’t try to cross the law but was… gifted differently. In a way I owe the Tabitarial my life.”

Shrugging she smiled at Ember, “And no system of leaders anywhere is perfect. After all, they are comprised of imperfect humans even if they were chosen by the mother herself.”

"Hmmm"

Hmmed the plainsman.

"You've given me a lot to think about. I'm sad that your people have rejected the path of Wisdom. But if the Tabits reflect what the people would do and add compassion in their rulings, then perhaps that's the best that can be asked. As you say, no person or system's perfect, I'm not even sure they should be..."

He felt a brief pang of the old pain of failure.

"If you'll excuse me, I need to go outside for a while."

He rose up from where he'd been sitting cross legged on the floor and went outside. Standing in the garden Ember inhaled deeply the flower scented air before setting off in the direction he'd first arrived at the cottage, until he found a spot where he could see both the road and Saryl's dwelling without being too conspicuous. He'd pleged to protect the three people inside and even communion with his God would not prevent him from completing that obligation.

Seating himself in the centre of a circle scuffed out of the grass Ember focused his eyes on the road and his soul on prayer.

"Holy Illuminatus, let the light of your wisdom illuminate me. I have been troubled. I believed in my arrogance that you sent me here to help all these people but now I am not sure. What has happened here appears to be the will of the people and that I cannot change. If it is your will O holy light then I shall dedicate myself to the protection of the three in the cottage below and any who come to join them. If not, Great Lord of Wisdom, then I pray for a sign that I might know the path of your intent and the direction my hunt must take."

"Rejected the pa..." Lardin began sharply before Saryl touched his arm shaking her head softly her face a portrait of concern. The healer opened her mouth to say something, sensing the pain in the young man, but thought better of it as Ember stood, excusing himself and walked outside. The large yellow cat trailed along behind the plainsman, quiet and unobtrusive staying several paces behind.

As Ember settled down and focused, the soft golden glow returned. Just outside the circle, the cat lay watching intently. Growing ever brighter, the glow began to spread and the face and form of Mirane began to take shape before the young man.

"Be at peace Ember," the soft soothing voice of the figure encouraged him. "Having heard their arguments, you think them right? If the slave knows nothing but slavery and has been told it is the natural way of things, does that make it right? Because the people have been taught to believe a thing does not make it so. Diversity is what makes the world strong. It is why the Mother made many kinds of birds and flowers and not just one of each. They defend the Tabitarial because they have been taught to do so. And the idea of the Tabitarial is sound. However, even that which is sound can be perverted and used in a wrong manner."

The glow strenthened and expanded from the figure, enveloping Ember in its warmth as it pushed the heaviness away. Thoughts flashed back to his initiation in the pool, the woman handing him the green robe, her words, his thoughts.

"Green has traditionally been the colour of those who seek to protect. You, too, seem to have chosen this path for yourself... are you ready to face its perils, young man?"

At the woman's words his mind flicked back to the strange meeeting he'd had in Muchislie "The path will be hard." The stranger had said. Well, Ember thought he was used to hardship. He slipped on the robe.

"It is not an easy path you have chosen, but it is a well chosen. Remember that, Ember." The glow began to fade and grow smaller.

"The people hurt and their hearts cry out for freedom. They feel this evil and so will not speak of it openly. Find the hurt Ember, and bring healing," the voice drifted off into the soft wind as the glow faded from sight.

Sitting up, Sunny meowed softly before making her way back to the house.

Ember sat for a while, basking in the lingering warmth of Mirane's presence. Turning to pet Sunny and thank him for the company he saw the cat already heading back to the cottage and actually laughed.

"You're right Sunny, that is where my...our responsabilities lie."

Smiling, he flowed to his feet. Taking a deep breath the plainsman murmured his thanks to Mirane and the Lord of Light before heading back to the cottage, his teacher's final words echoing in his head.

"Find the hurt Ember, and bring healing."

Back inside, Saryl and her brother had not moved. They sat talking quietly but stopped when Ember entered through the door again.

"Welcome back," the healer smiled at him. "I am sorry if we upset you, Ember," she offered softly. "There are many other ways that surely work well; it is just this way is all we know, is all our people have known for countless generations. We have so few visitors that we are unused to seeing anything that is different from the established way of things as we see it." She sat forward in her chair and stroked the yellow cat that was pace about her ankles.

"I trust your quiet time was profitable?" Lardin smiled making an attempt to bridge any uncomfortable gaps between them.

"It was, thank you Lardin, and I apologize to you both."

He moved to set the kettle boiling once more.

"How about some more tea while you teach me about the history of your people. I think that might help me understand your ways better. Have decisions always been made by the Tabbitarial?"

Saryl nodded, "Thank you, Ember. More tea would be very nice. However, you have nothing to apologize for. You did nothing wrong," she smiled reassuringly at the young man.

Both of them shook their heads no at the plainsman's question about the decisions of the past. Lardin spoke up first.

"Oh, no! Not at all. Long, long ago there were no leaders, there were no laws really. The people were few and they worked together under common agreement. As the number of people and families grew, common agreement was harder to find and some began to do as they pleased regardless of its affects on others. There was a time of much violence and disorder, family against family as everyone sought to make their own way the best without thought of the needs of others. It is said to be the darkest time in our history. It was then we became so isolated from others in this land as only criminals dared come this way. One large family by the name of Tabbit began to talk to the others about some common law and some ways to enforce those laws so the people could live in peace, not always in fear of death or injury.

He gained many other families support and together, they drove out the lawless and set up the ruling counsel of seven and because of Tabbit, the man who lead it all, it eventually became known as the tabbitarial and the counsel memebers tabits. Over time, the tabits have formed the laws so we an live at peace," he finished.

Saryl nodded her agreement, "Yes, and now we have no violence, no stealing, no murder. One man does not try to take that which belongs to another or to cause unhappiness in his life. Such things are taken very seriously and all are taught from childhood that those types of actions are not tolerated. Offenders are cut off."

"What happens when someone is Cut Off"

Asked Ember, busying himself with the tea things.
Ember

Posting Again :)

Post by Ember »

"Where do they go? To one of the other communities?"

Continued Ember. Now he knew he wasn't following a blind trail the plainsman was full of questions and held himself back deliberately. Asking too much at once might overwhelm the others and damage his chance of finishing the hunt. Prise the Light he would find the pain hidden in the hearts of these people.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Lardin looked aghast, "Why would they be sent to another community? If they are poison to us, it wouldn't be very neighborly to send the poison to other communities. No, they are branded and sent to the place of isolation. Most don't live long there. A few have a true change of heart and return to the community though there hasn't been anyone cut of since..." the man ended abruptly, his face turned scarlett as he avoided looking over at his sister.

"But I wasn't cut off in the same way," Saryl interjected. "My sins were not in breaking the law, but in being different ... with my healing... abilities. I wasn't sent to the place of isolation as there is no way I could reflect on my actions and change, so they sent me here to live. And they built me this home to live in and provide food for me. I am not to have free interaction with the people, though they still come and bring their sick to me though most do so under the cover of night. Still, it's not so bad." The healer smiled at her brother and patted his hand, then frowned slightly.

"Still, I worry about your staying here Lardin. You know the leaders won't like that. There is sure to be trouble tomorrow. It is one thing for your son to stay. He is gravely wounded and the leaders have chosen to overlook those cases no matter what Jorack says. But you're not injured or sick. They are going to see this as a type of contamination," she said softly.

"But now, I think it's time for something to eat?" she stood up and stretched. "We've talked long and can talk more, however my stomach complains it is ignored too long. I am going out to the garden to gather some vegetables. Would you like to come Ember?"
Ember

Gardening

Post by Ember »

"Contamination.."

Murmured the plainsman. But before he could continue the conversation, found himself agreeing to help Saryl in the garden. Perhaps some work would help illuminate the appropriate path for his 'enquiries'. Besides, it would give him a chance to find out about the local plants, and pose a few questions to the healer without Lardin being present.

"What would you like me to do?"

Being the first one, and:

"How many are likely to come and cause trouble for Lardin tomorrow, and who will it be?"

the second.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Taking a small spade from a bucket next to the garden, the healer handed it to Ember. "There are potatoes here," she showed him the plants. "If you would dig three good sized potatoes or four if they are small." She made her way over to another part of the garden where she began to work on a different root vegetable as she explained.

"I am not sure how many will come. I am certain Jorack will return. He has such an unbending view of the law that to him it would make no sense at all for Lardin to stay with his son. In fact, Jorack would have taken the boy back to the village even knowing that might mean the death of the child." She shook her head and sighed.

"To him, nothing is worse than contamination. To be made different from others, impure, is a fate worse than death. I am sure Jorack believes that those who have been contaminated will find a horrible fate after death." Finished pulling up yellowish tubers, she dusted off her hands and moved to stalks of leafy green which she searched through and began to pull some of the larger dark green leaves free, laying them in her apron.

"That is why he will never be a Tabit. Most of the people are not as... rigid as he and those who mirror his beliefs are old and their influence is fading. The people as a whole have found that what I do benefits them and does not bring curse or destruction on them and slowly they have come to accept it, even if that be in secret under the cover of night for now. Still, though they creep out at night, it is not as if the village elders don't know it. There is no way to leave the city without being seen by the nightguard. The fact that it continues to happen signals some sort of approval from the leadership and the people know this." Brushing off her hands again, she held the ends of her apron to her waist, stood and faced Ember.

"Jorack realizes it as well and I think it frightens him. Soon he may be the only remaining bastion of the unyielding attitude that has been with us for a hundred years or more. I also think he believes it is the beginning of our downfall, that giving into this will lead to other concessions and in a few generations, our forefathers might not recognize us any longer. Because of that, I am certain he wishes the Tabitarial had not shown me mercy, but sent me to exile and death like others before me. I have become the ultimate contamination."

"So, Jorack is sure to try and stir up much contention against me tomorrow, more so even than Lardin. He will paint him as the victim, tainted by the ever-relaxing morals of the people for Lardin is the first to dare to stay over night and not just bring his sick and leave them. No one stays; no one even comes into my home. Often, they leave the wounded on the porch, knock on my door and rush away before I can open the door."

Squatting down beside the plainsman, Saryl shook her head sadly. "I fear Jorack will attempt to paint you as a contaminant with me, Ember. If he has his way, we would both be sent to exile. As much as I have enjoyed your company and help, I could not ask you to sacrifice your life as well. I would understand if you chose to leave before the morning sun warms the earth. While I would never presume to tell another what to do, it is the path I would suggest. I do not think Jorack will be successful, but I do not know that for a certainty."
Last edited by Shaeliana on Sat Mar 01, 2003 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ember

Realization

Post by Ember »

Ember could not help but smile as the irony of the healer's explanation 'Illuminated' their situation. Inside he'd been trying desperately to find some way to help these people. And now, outside, digging potatoes he'd finally been told what he needed to know. There was no great enemy for him to fight. Nothing he needed to change. The situation was resolving itself naturally, through the natural and unstoppable influence of Illuminatus and the Mother, which he the way of the Stepping Wolf, or his knowledge of hunting would have shown him eventually; if he'd been able to focus on the problem rather than worrying about what He could do about it. In fact, all he needed to do was continue along the trail he'd asked to follow and protect that which needed protecting, the process of change and its agent, Saryl herself.

"In a way Jorack's right."

The plainsman eventually replied, wiping earth from the potatoes the Mother had realeased into his care.

"Except that he has it backwards. It's his attitude that is the contamination, and we are two pebbles amongst hundreds of others which have been carefully placed by the Gods, to turn the stream of your people's lives back to the correct course. If I left before the sun warmed the earth I would be insulting Illuminatus anyway. I will not leave you, and I don't believe either of us will have to sacrifice our lives."
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Standing up, the healer looked at novice priest for a few long moments, a look of amusement and puzzlement on her face before she smiled and replied, "You say the oddest things at times Ember, and yet..." she shook her head dismissively and holding her apron full of vegetables, headed back to the house.

"I am glad you will be staying," was all she said as she held open the door for the plainsman to enter with his hands full of spuds. Inside, they engaged in quiet casual chatter while the vegetables were washed and cut up. The potatoes and yellow tubers went into one pan with some onion while the green leafy stalks went into a small pot with a bit of water and some herbs Saryl pulled off the shelves. As the vegetables cooked, the healer took out plates for everyone and pulled a large loaf of dark bread out and set it on the table. Dinner consisted of the potato-tuber-onion dish, the greens, generous slices of the rich bread and sliced tomatoes that had been sitting inside in a window.

Still, the healer held the conversation to things light and cheerful, things that held little or no meaning and could not stir up strong emotions. Afterwards, they sat by the fire and sang songs from childhood, she and her brother, laughing over childhood remembrances. As if consumed with a hunger that would not be filled, Saryl chatted with both of her guests long into the night and might not have stopped then, save Lardin's long and weary yawns. Sighing, the healer smiled at the two men.

"It is late. Time to rest for tomorrow will bring a whole new day of challenges. I think I will sleep out here with the child and you two will take the beds in the room," she got up and went to a large chest in the corner and pulled out some large nightshirts.

"I don't know your people's habit for sleeping Ember. You may use one of these if you wish. You as well Lardin," she smiled and placed the shirts on the bottom of their beds and pulled out a smaller sleep shirt that had been embroidered with flowers from a chest of drawers in the bedroom.

"Good night gentlemen," she nodded at each and taking one of two lamps, went to the kitchen to change her clothes. It didn't take long and soon she emerged in the nightshirt with a soft robe pulled over it and her clothes neatly folded, were placed on one of the tables in the room. Turning her lamp down very low and setting it on the table beside the bed she would sleep in, she quickly checked on the child who was sleeping soundly and then slipped quietly out onto the porch.

Lardin had followed suit and moving into the bedroom, had changed into the shirt provided and climbed in bed, setting the lamp on the table between the two beds. In no time, the yawning brother was sound asleep, snoring lightly.

Outside, the summer sounds of crickets and frogs sang their nocturnal lullabies, but mixed with the rhythmic hypnotic sounds was the soft sound of a wounded heart giving vent to the pain and frustration.
Last edited by Shaeliana on Fri Mar 07, 2003 7:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ember

Sleep?

Post by Ember »

"Oh yes, you can be as pompous as a rutting buck sometimes."

Ember thought to himself, noticing Saryl's reaction to his little speech. Maybe it was the truth but he could at least have put it a little more subtly. Laughing Cougar would have had a fit.

"Maybe my totem's the Coyote. I certainly put my foot in things enough."

Mused the Plainsman as he helped carry the vegetables into the healer's kitchen. He participated as much as possible in the light chatter and listened intently to their songs, so different from the music of his tribe and yet still somehow comfortingly familiar.

When the time came for them to sleep he was mystified by both Saryl's offer of the nightshirt and the bed. Eventually electing to wrap himself in one of the covers and stretch out on the floor of the room. However the wooden boards were less accomodating than the floor of a Steel Flute tent and the matress too soft to let Ember sleep, despite the day's exertions. His hunter's ears, attuned to the surrounding rythms of nature quickly picked out the sound of quiet distress.

Whispering a heartfelt prayer on the healer's behalf the Plainsman stood and moved to offer what support he could. Not thinking of whether it was appropriate or would even be accepted, only that he had to try help ease the suffering of someone whod had suffered alone too long.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Out on the porch, the healer had pulled her feet up into the chair, arms wrapped around her knees and head on top of them. At her feet sat the two cats, their heads turning towards the plainsman as he came through the door. Hearing the door open, Saryl stopped crying and wiped her face on the nightshirt around her knees quickly before looking up. The large yellow cat stood, stretched yawningly and made his way to the priest's feet as if welcoming an old friend.

"Ember," she said, a hint of surprise in her tone.

"Could you not sleep? I can make something to help if you need it," she offered without moving from her folded up position.

"Or is it the child?" she suddenly added, this time slipping her feet down to the ground as she began to get out of the chair.
Last edited by Shaeliana on Tue Mar 11, 2003 8:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ember

Post by Ember »

Ember's eyes never left Saryl as he bent to scratch Mookie behind the ears.

"The boy's fine."

He replied, and straightened up, moving quickly over to the healer when she attempted to stand.

"I couldn't sleep. But don't get up. I don't need anything..."

He added, putting out a friendly hand to stop her rising to her feet, and amazed to find himself drawing the dark haired woman gently into his arms, intending to wrap her in them, as though he could shield her from her pain with his body.

"You're not alone any more. I'm here to support you."
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

It had been many years since the girl had been touched. What little human interaction she was allowed, she was the one touching, the caregiver. As Ember wrapped his arms around her, she stiffened but didn't pull back and his words of support and caring brought a fresh flood of tears as she collapsed into deep shaking sobs. After several burns, she began to regain her composure as she drew a deep ragged breath and let it out slowly.

"Tomorrow," she began softly still not moving from the plainsman's embrace. "They will come and take Lardin away. They may take you away as well or at least try. I think they will leave me here; they need me occasionally." She shook her head softly and took another deep breath.

"Despite the tragic circumstances..." she voiced slowly. "I have enjoyed this day more than any in a very long time, Ember. Even if they do not take you, eventually you will go away... return to your home. Lardin will go back to the village and all will go back to the way it was before." She stopped as her voice cracked, more tears threatening.

"I do not think I can go back to how it was before. I know that sounds weak and foolish but I yearn..." Softly she shook her head again grew quiet for a burn.

"But these are not your concerns. I am grateful that you came; grateful you found the boy and brought him here; grateful for your help in saving him. It has been delightful and refreshing to talk to you and to my brother. It is a time I shall treasure for the rest of my days. Today I felt so... normal," she almost whispered the word. Standing stiffly and awkwardly in the priest's embrace, she still made no move away from the contact.
Last edited by Shaeliana on Wed Mar 12, 2003 7:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ember

Post by Ember »

"You don't sound weak at all..."

replied Ember with feeling; and still supporting her with his left hand, gently raised her chin with his right so she would see the smile as he continued.

...but you are foolish."

was what he'd intended to say. However on seeing her tear stained face the words stuck in his throat.

Light she was beautiful! And close!

Distressed though she was, the slightest sign from her and he would be unable to help kissing her.

"Light, give me a sign"

He prayed silently. Though unsure whether he could correctly interpret any sign he received."
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Allowing her chin to be pulled up, it took a few flickers longer for the healer's eyes to follow and notice Ember's smile as he attempted to console her. Replying with her own soft smile, she shook her head.

"Forgive me Ember. I was being selfish. I know what my life is, what it will always be and I should be thankful for this time. I am thankful for this time... for you," her voice lowered to a whisper as she spoke and she relaxed into his embrace, daring to slip her arms around his waist barely touching him. He was not hers to keep, only to learn from for the time, a taste of something different in an otherwise sterile life. She could live with it for she had no other choice.

"Thank you," she intoned softly looking up into Ember's eyes, a small smile on her lips.
Ember

Post by Ember »

Was this 'Wisdom'? Perhaps not. But the Ember could as little release the woman who had just relaxed in his arms as he could deny his calling to the Light. He shivvered as Saryl's arms lightly encircled his waist, and In reply to her thanks the plainsman bent to kiss her upturned mouth. As he did so an old Steel Flute saying soared into his mind, perhaps even sent by Illuminatus himself.

"Every moment is a gift of the Great Mystery which may never come round again."
Last edited by Ember on Thu Mar 27, 2003 10:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Almost as if she were drinking in the plainsman's face, the healer looked up into his eyes, watched him bend forward to kiss her, felt his lips touch hers. At first, there was no response as she tried to process this new experience and the tingle it produced inside. Flickers later she responded, awkwardly, shyly, as her arms tightened around Ember.

Lost in forgotten feelings of being touched and held and swept away by the new sensations of tender lips upon her own, Saryl's body trembled. Pushing thoughts of the future aside, she relished the moment, allowed it to feed the hunger in her soul for. It had been a long while since she'd felt wanted for anything but her skills as a healer.

Moaning softly, feeling a new hunger building in her, she gave herself freely to the kiss wishing it could last forever, knowing that it would not.
Ember

Into the Night

Post by Ember »

Saryl's reaction to the kiss sent an answering tremor through the plainsman's body and he marvelled at it's power, even as he too was carried away by the touch of their lips. It was the first time Ember had held a woman like this. Nothing, he thought, would make him want to let go. But as Saryl gave herself up to the embrace his hands began to move as if of their own accord. Stroking her back with a healer's sensitivity, seeking to feed the energy that had been released within her.

"Come with me"

He said hoarsely, one hand reaching up to brush moonlight streaked hair away from her face.

"Let me take you away under the stars. "

His arm circled her waist to draw her off the porch and out into the darkness, away from her two feline guardians.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Reluctantly, the healer turned loose of Ember as he stepped back brushing her hair away from her face. At his invitation to come away under the stars, she bit her lip and glanced at the door. There was a very ill boy inside and she'd never left a patient alone, though in this case he wasn't exactly alone. Lardin was there.

As the plainsman's arm tugged around her waist, she allowed herself to be drawn off the porch and out into the silvery moonlit night. The large yellow cat followed for a bit, but finally sat down to watch the two humans walk.

The night was pleasant; a slight breeze barely rustled the leaves of the trees while summer insects droned their nighttime reveries, a soft soothing sound.

"Ember," she said softly. "Why did you leave your people?"

Return to “Oracle's Isle archives (old)”