Elementalism 101 ( Magic Guild ) ~ 20th ~ Tradetide

Moderators: Tristam, Mods

Elementalism 101 ( Magic Guild ) ~ 20th ~ Tradetide

Post by Guest »

OOC: Yep everyone is welcome figured I'd set up an Tradetide class thread and beat anyone else to it :) since Ssinith has set up a morningtide class.

As Gilanor moved into the classroom he straightened his sash that his rush to get here on time had messed up. Brushing over the patch that he had gained from the illusion class the other day. He had enjoyed that class and had spent a few hours the other night practising the lesson of the cube, as well as trying to create an illusionary image of Ssinith. Though he was tempted to start on himself he had figured creating a detailed image of someone he had seen might be easier than creating one of himself from only partial reflections he had seen in mirrors.

It seemed however that his rush had been on no account as no other students had yet arrived for afternoon class. Though he had already taken one class in Elementalism he had no idea as yet whether the same professor would be teaching each other or even what to expect from it.

So far the various classes had helped him put together a more precise mental picture of magical energies as well as some ideas as to how to see past the various perception restrictions that reality seemed to impose on one's mind. As yet though his attempts at meditation had only allowed him to see the surface layer of the energies he hadn't yet been able to see beyond. He hoped the practise he had done with perceiving energies masked inside his own body might help him with breaking through the masking of the energies themselves.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

A second student entered the chamber paying more attention to drawing on the scroll he carried than where he was going. He stopped just before where Gilanor sat and looked up from his scroll.

"Oh hello there." He smiled. Gilanor recognized the one that made the artistic cube from the illusion class, Tanar. "I have very little hope for this class. All blasting and destruction I'm told. Still one hopes I can glean something useful from it all."

Tanar dropped into the seat next to Gilanor and put down his scroll. Gilanor could see a rough sketch of Professor Chaotxi starting as the warrior woman in the top, the dwarf in the torso, the adhiel for the waist and all rests on the glass statue base.

"So are you here for the blasting or something more interesting?" Tanar asked him with a smile.
[size=100]
Donald heard a mermaid sing, Susy spied an elf,
But all the magic I have known, I've had to make myself.

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

OOC: Tada. *drums*. Gaeden enters. I am at the end of my two threads from before the Synch Event, so I decided to join your class Gil. Okay, Tristam? My first elementalism class. :D

IC: Gaeden had eaten in the cantina and was ready for another challenge. Enjoying the open space in the crowded hallways, the magling wandered there until his next class. Walking up and down these hallways, staring at the unknown items and people, he toyed with the thought of power. Citizens, rich and poor, men or women, clutched tightly in his grasp and with a simple order their lives were in his hands.

His eyes sparkled with a sickly glimmer as the magling trotted through the hallways leading to the second class of the day. He gritted his teeth in a smirk and drywashed his hands.

Entering the class, his gaze fell upon a pair of students. This time he was not the first to enter class, and he tapped the door to get their attention.

"This elementalism?" He addressed both the adhiels, expecting an answer. He finally remembered the male from an earlier class, but was unable to fix a name to the face. The other person, seated next to him, was totally unknown to Gaeden. Angling his head, he waited impatiently for a response and while doing so he entered the chamber. His fingers brushing the top of each desk he passed, he seated himself a few desks away from the group of two.

Post by Guest »

The entrance of the third student to turn up distracted Gilanor for a moment from answering Tanar's question.

"Indeed it is Gaeden." Gilanor paused to answer before looking back in Tanar's direction.

"Hopefully something more interesting than blasting about. I've been trying to isolate the cause of our perception of the energy that makes up reality. So that I can see past the outer layer of energies to their more fundamental core. So while elementalism itself may not hold all the answers hopefully its might contain a clue or two towards solving the puzzle."

"By the way I liked your version of the exercise in the illusions class yesterday. You've got quite a knack." Gilanor stated, his tone straight forward but friendly.

Post by Guest »

Gaeden almost thanked Gilanor, but realized the praise was not meant for him. Pursing his lips, the magling trotted forward, finding himself a seat in the back of the class. He did not interrupt upon the conversation between the adhiels in front.

By the side of his desk, the magling placed his stave waiting patiently for the other eager students to join their class and a tutor to teach them. The stave leaning on his satchel.

Finally Gaeden seated himself and rested his back against the chair. His arms unmoving on the top of the table.

Post by Guest »

OOC: Hello! I'll be taking over Tanar for the time being! :D

IC: Tanar looked slightly surprised for a moment. The compliment had caught him off guard, 'Thank you,' he said to Gilanor, smiling as he gestured at his sketched-on scroll on the desk, 'Hobbies turn into past times...' he said, brushing the compliment to the side with a blush of modesty.

He stared around in search for a different topic and contented himself with twisting in his seat to address both the other students, 'You two done much of this before?' he asked, his question encompassing the subject of elementalism and anything else they chose to answer with.

Post by Guest »

OOC: Welcome, Lomodien. Don't mind Gaeden, he is an a**. :wink:

IC: Gaeden smirked at the casual response to the compliment. Squinting his eyes, his brows furrowed in a pair of lines almost poiting in a 45 degree angle. He had been sure the attentive student had addressed him praising his efforts from their former class toghether. His lips formed a thin line of pale crimson, and his entire being radiated frustration and a bit anger.

When the creative student had brushed off the praise and turned his attention to both of his fellow students in the elementalism class, Gilanor and Gaeden, the latter simply ignored the question at first, then he changed his mind and looked up from his desk.

"My first. My first elementalism class," the magling stated plainly. He folded his arms and waited to see if the male had anything else to add.

Post by Guest »

OOC: No problemo Gaeden! *flexes imaginary muscles* I'm made of steel. :wink:

IC: 'Oh... that's..cool,' Tanar nodded slowly at the minimal response, unable to find anything more interesting to say in reply, 'Mine too,' he added, giving Gaeden a friendly smile before turning hopeful brown eyes to look at the other student, praying that he would open a door for a different strand of conversation. The awkward silence made Tanar feel uncomfortable, and he shifted in his seat, placing one arm casually on the table to make him seem indifferent to the other student's defensive stance.

Post by Guest »

Gilanor seemed to be faintly amused by something but his amusement did grow a smile, more just a brightening of his eyes.

"Indeed for me as well. I'm glad to see I didn't turn up to the wrong class since this is supposed to be the first class of this cycle of introductory Elementalism. " Gilanor said, keeping his tone dry despite the amusement in his eyes.

"What other classes are you two taking, besides the introduction to illusions. Strangely enough I seem to know you're both taking that, strange the things you learn around here isn't it."
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Before either student could answer, an adhiel strode into the room briskly and with purpose. His robes was bands of blue and gold that ran diagonally across his body. A rainbow of gemstones glittered from the rings on his hands. His hair was cut short almost shaved bald and his eyes were wild. He dashed swiftly to the the corner of the room and with wide upsweep of his hands a column of blue white fire erupted from the floor to the ceiling. Those near the flames could feel the intense heat and immediately broke into a sweat.

Without a word he dashed to the other back corner and and swirled his hands in circles with the palms facing each other. A faint howling sound could be heard growing stronger. Dust from the floor was drawn into the growing whirlwind making it visible to the eye just as the breezes could be felt by everyone. An inattentive student cursed as his parchment scroll was swept off his desk and turned to ash when it touched the column of flame.

The man now dashed to the front of classroom. One hand gestured down at the left corner while the other gestured up at the right. At his command, a black spire of rock thrust forth from the floor until it merged with the black stone above it while water flowed down in the other corner to form a river in the air spilling to the floor but not flooding the room somehow.

The adhiel that performed these feats paced back and forth between water and earth glittering in the light of the fire.

"This is what you came for it is not? This is the power you seek." He stared straight ahead as he talked as if lecturing the walls instead of the students. Occasionally he would turn his head towards the students as if to check they were still there. "Fire, Water, Earth, Air. Add life and death and you have the fundamental forces of creation. Creation, destruction. Doesn't matter. Its all here. Everything else. Trivia. Esoteric distractions. The academics in their black spires forget the power of the stones beneath their feet. But you won't. No you won't."

The professor spun around and pointed at Gaeden. "You. Pick an element."
Last edited by Tristam on Fri May 20, 2005 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

Well the ability to turn any of my father's people into ash might come in hand if he decides to deal permentantly with me.

The thought crossed Gilanor's mind as he watched the display the professor had created. As the Professor threw the question towards Gaeden he considered the elements himself for a moment.

Fire might be considered destructive, yet in some ways it was a tool for creation. Metal working certainly wouldn't be possible without the aid of fire. And the cooking of food, and warming of a house all were possible through fire.

Water, could be used to state one's thirst, clean objects, and perhaps even make it difficult for someone to gain their footing. Or perhaps even drown someone if you could fill up a room they were in.

That thought caused Gilanor to regard the cascade of water again wondering how the professor had stopped it from expanding beyond the bounds he had set.

Earth. The power of earth was fairly obvious since they lived sheltered beneath its mantle.

While without air so many things die, themselves, and even indeed fire seemed to die if starved of air. It was indeed something to consider but he still didn't see command of the elements as the be all and end all as the professor had declared

Post by Guest »

Gaeden sighed due to the question directed to him. He had watched the display of the tutor with some interest. This was not the first time a mentor advertised what the class was about to learn. Professor Choatxi had done the same, and now this teacher performed the same thing. Refusing to acknowledge the superior skills of the professor, Gaeden dismissed the question as just that. A question.

The question woke Gaeden from his slumber. He did not want to delay the class any further and hence he was ready to answer the inquiry quickly.

What signifies me? Water and air he quickly dismissed. Death and life he did not yet want to exhibit, and he never considered either them elements up until now. Gaeden had only two options left, fire and earth. Earth was strong and reliable. Dependable. It was present in every corner of Tazlure. Those things signified him or at least his future. Fire was wild and uncontrollable. Devouring. It possibly fit him even better. Presently at least. Fire was his choice.

"Then I choose fire. Yes, fire it is, professor. . .?" Gaeden hinted for the professor to introduce himself, but kept the inquiry unformal and easily declined.

EDIT: OOC: Wonderful post, Tristam. Capturing. I am sorry about my uninspired posts this morning. I am tired.
Last edited by Guest on Mon May 23, 2005 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"Ah fire." The professor giggles. "They always start with fire. I don't know why I keep asking. It truly has the power to fascinate does it not?" The professor's gaze looked past them into the heart of the column. The room was silent except for the crackle of flame, the howl of wind, and the splatter of water on rock.

The professor shook himself from his trance and snapped hs fingers once toward each corner of the room. The whirlwind ceased, the water dried up and the column of stone crumbled.

"Fire. A potent force for destruction. A primal force of creation. There is fire within everything. Even at the heart of the coldest block of stone there are traces of the heat that once gave it birth. It has the power of cleansing for those strong enough to survive within it." The professor walked slowly and deliberiately towards the back of the room. Without hesitation he stepped into the column of flame and turned around to face the students once more.

"My name is Valen." He informed them. "Will you follow me into fire?"
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

He had answered the question, and it seemed fit he was the cardinal student to supersede the leader into and through the flaming obsticle. It had not harmed the tutor, and there was no obvious reason it should inflict pain on the next to pass through. Gaeden carefully pondered these uncertainties, but alas, he had never been fearful and now was not the appropriate time to petrify the action of walking through fire. He had embraced his own path by accepting this element.

"Professor Valen. I am Gaeden Calmcacil, and I will follow you," Gaeden proclaimed proudly. It was gratification to announce his departure and his name first among the students.

'Anasati. Goddess of darkness. Hear my prayers. This wall of destruction and creation shall not harm me with your assitance. I have relied on you on previous occasions; do not leave me duing these grave moments,' the magling lowered his head and prayed. A barely audible murmur could he heard, but the meaning was lost. He did not often ask Anasati for her guidance and help, but now he was about to walk through a harmful barricade.

As Gaeden walked through the fiery barrier, his muscles tensed. He carefully treaded through. His leg proceeded forward first, and his sandals contacted with the wall of reddish flames. Unless it ignited, the magling would continue precocious.

Post by Guest »

Tanar had twisted around eagerly in his seat to watch the professor walk casually through flame. He was unable to hide his expression of deep awe and astonishment, still finding himself vulnerable to surprise at the intricate delicacies and performative nature of Magick. The magling gulped audibly and tried to imagine himself walking through fire. How would it feel? Hot? Cold? He watched avidly as Gaeden volunteered to go first, noting the strange formality he used. The theatrical dramatics on such a feat as walking through fire seemed just as essential as the actual Magick himself, and Tanar hoped that he could follow up such a performance.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

The wild eyed Valen smiled braodly at Gaeden's boldness and eagerly beckoned him forward. "Swiftly all of you. Watch this through your third eye, eh?"

Gaeden

The heat became more and more unbearable as he approached the column of flame. Only his own resolve and faith in his goddess allowed himself to ignore every warning his body screamed at him. His sandal touched the flame and blackened then blessed coolness surrounded him. He strode boldly to Valen surrounded by wisps of steam and the roar of the flames. Valen was barely visibile against the purity of white and blue that engulfed them. "Fortune favors the bold, Gaeden. Never doubt that."

Gilanor, Tanar
Those that choose too have just enough time to open themselves to the Aether as Gaeden's sandal contacts the flame. The tip of it blackens but at that moment Valen gestured with a complex fluttering of fingers. Those watching saw a tight net of water threads surround Gaeden and he walked unharmed into the flames.

"You see here using one element against another. A classic." Valen announced. "In time, you will not need such encumberances for you shall become one with the elements." It is only then that you all notice the professor does not have a shield up. Or at least not one that can be seen.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

"Can only one element oppose another element professor, or is it a matter in how they are applied in applicable for opposition. It seemed that you used threads of water energy to protect Gaeden. Could you have done the same with earth or air in the same situation or a different one?" Gilanor asked, having tried his best to take in the way the professor had woven the threads of water about Gaeden.

I wonder if the Professor is using some type of Shrouding effect to conceal his own shield. Professor Chaotxi indicated that it could be used to conceal both natural and spell energies. The weaves of water protecting from flame would most certainly count as a spell would they not?

Post by Guest »

IC: "A very nice spell, professor. Real inventive," Gaeden smirked and complimented the tutor. Puzzled by the fact he had walked unharmed through a barrier of fierce fire. He had safely passed the obstacle with the help of the mentor and possibly the goddess of darkness. The flaming wall had not harmed him and although the sandal was charred he himself was physically unscathed. The magling rubbed forehead in wonder; he had not seen the watery cover surrounding him during his passing, but quickly realized it due to the inquiry of another fledgling.

As he listened to the wrong approach by the same novice, Gaeden wanted to interrupt. instead he waited patiently for him to finish. Running a hand through his hair, fidgeting it, he shuffled his feet in agony. He wanted to take part in the discussion before the tutor could correct the beginner and prove his wisdom of the elementals.

"No, no. You have to take into consideration how the elements affect each other on the material plane. What is your name again? Now air affects fire. But in what way? You cannot hinder its [fire] progress with air, it will only insitigate a growth in the already fierce burning. So you see, air would have instantly killed me. Feed air with fire and whoa. I would not recommend it. It you actually would try this approach. Perhaps you would be able to create a void for a single flickerm, but it would instantly be filled with air. That is how wind is created by the way. Air wants to be a balanced substance in the atmosphere and will immediately fill an airless cavity. So you see; air is a truly bad idea. Earth on the other hand. Well. It would definately cover me, but for how long. I can only assume it would be as proficient as water. Sooner or later the barrier of either water or earth would be devoured by the flames unless there is enough of either element to actually kill the fire, but that is not really what we are trying to accomplish here, is it?" Gaeden had quickly assumed the position of the leader of the class and realized he might offend the professor. He had been inspired by the prospect of proving his abilites to the professor and the fledglings and especially Tanar whom had outdone him in the illusion class. Now the magling withdrew. Bowing his head in submission, he allowed the mentor to take control again.

OOC: Perhaps this was a bit more than Gaeden actually knows? I'll correct it if you want me to.

Post by Guest »

"I don't believe you're completely correct in a lot of what you just said, though perhaps in the limited fashion of thought you gave your answer. But in any case I prefer to learn from a Master not someone who is also just now learning and allocated to be a student in the very same class. Indeed I'm after the truth of the matter not just your still uneducated perception of it. I ask because I wish to know the truth as to if the air could hold the heat of a fire at bay, or if a shell of the earth might serve to shield as the earth above shields us from the heat and light of the sun. While earth in other times and places provide a focus and channel for the heat in a forge, or a stream of lava. Gilanor stated, his tone noticeable cooler as he addressed Gaeden.

"Just because your imagination doesn't allow you to see applications of energy doesn't mean its impossible. Air could perhaps provide a way to push the flames back from you, and while they might have grown in other directions it still might have been enough to keep the flame from touching you. The heat of flame transmits in part via its interaction with the air around you. What would have occurred if you used threads of air to draw that heat out of that particular air and sent it elsewhere? As for earth the ground beneath your feet can take a lot of heat without showing it. So a weave of earth around you might then be connected via a grounding weave to let the excess heat bleed away in the same way as surplus gathered energies in a spell. Use of air or earth threads doesn't always mean the addition or subtraction of them, but it could mean just their use to manipulate other energies. So do try not to limit your imagination in regards to applications of energy, or limit energy by your current perception of it."

Post by Guest »

IC: His eyes struck lightening, and his gaze swept across the apprentices to locate the guilty novice. Gaeden was not accustomed to be reprimanded by a mere fledgling although he was a part of them himself. Bits and pieces of the statement might make some sense to him, but he unconsciously avoided its purposeful notes. He began to drywashed his hands still hid behind his back; an unintended habit he engaged in while being infuriated.

Exhaling and inhaling and counting slowly to ten, Gaeden was able to regain his composure in front of the mentor and his class.

"Now then. Creating a shield around me of air would set me on fire. Go ahead and try it yourself, if you wish. It is said that only your imagination limits your progress and the material plane can be molded in my picture. Still there are parts of it we have to assess and take into consideration. Like the affects different elements have upon another. After all we are creatures both of the Tether and the Aether. Are you talking about winding the fire in a direction and hence leave a loophole in the creation here? If that is what you are suggesting, then the core of the flames will remain intact until it has devoured all other substances it can use. Did you ever try to form a hole in a simple candlelight by blowing on it? There are two alternative conclusions. One, you blow out the candle. . . Or two, you can rectify its course while the core remains in the same place. It is simply impossible to divert fire to a totally different place with air, the core still remains," Gaeden displayed the 'one' and the 'two' with his fingers with a pause in between to let the closure sink in. He spoke calmly like Gil had done earlier and presented the issues with an emotionless chill to them. Inside he had a very difficult time keeping the soaring flames from leaping out of his mouth or even seize control of his being causing some kind of unwanted scene.

"Oh and yes, I never said earth was an unthinkable substance to shield me from the flames. I even indicated it would serve the same purpose as water. And we all saw that professor Valen succeeded. I did not disagree with you there, friend," the magling smirked pleasantly and his voice carried a mocking tone akin a confident and arrogant emphasis.

OOC: Nice input, Gil. I am again sorry for his misbehaviour, but I admit I find a discussion very enjoyable. No exeption here. We will continue this until Tristam/professor Valen steps in, right? :D And Tristam, you will stop us when it is due?!
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"Well." Valen smiled to them both. "Well and well. Fire should lead to such heated arguments. It is the element of the passion and consuming. It forges onward in its path heedless that eventually that path will end in a heap of ash." Valen looked Gaeden over. "Yes, I see an affinity for fire in you."

Valen turned back to address the class. "The elements surround you. They are not foreign things to you. Gaeden's perceptions are a truth. Water is the easiest, indeed the best, for such a shield for it naturally quenches flame. Look here though."

The professor gestured with his hand at the many lines of water still feeding into the shield. "The fire boils the water away almost instantly. A constant influx of water is needed to maintain it. For stablity, seek earth."

Valens hands twisted outward and he murmured soft words that were lost in the flames. The water barrier was gone replaced by shell of thick basalt stone with a single air current fed into the mesh of earth strands. Inside the barrier, Gaeden was left in darkness yet the air within felt cool and fresh hardly the oven one might imagine.

"Not very mobile." Valen commented. "But effective for long term immersion where your attention is needed elsewhere." Valen gestured again and the rock shell dropped to be replaced by the water shield once more.

"Air is harder." Valen admitted. "The flames would not touch you in a shield of air but the heat would still be felt. It is not absorbed by the stone or dissipated by the water. So with air the shield must circle and spiral. The heat must be funneled away and cooler air brought into replace it."

Valen gestured once more and Gaeden was enwrapped by swirling bands of air. Where his hair was not damped down by sweat, it ruffled in the breeze. They could see the air flow in a tight spiral around Gaeden from foot to head then exit the column of flame to spiral back down in a second funnel before rejoining Gaeden's shield at the feet once more. Gaeden could feel much more of the heat radiating from the flames but it was bearable.

"Inefficient." Valen shrugged. "But sometimes it is all you have to work with. Gilanor's point is here demonstrated and well taken. Any element can be used against another. Any element can be used with another. Once you know them well enough that is. Does this answer the question and hopfully raise others?"
Last edited by Tristam on Thu Jun 02, 2005 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

OOC: Gaeden just to reaffirm not annoyed at your playing of your character personally like your writing. Its just his attitude fits in with something that my character dislikes from his upbringing, thus he react to it.

Gilanor had already moved past the flash of irritation that he had felt at Gaeden's overwhelming arrogance. The whole point had mattered little as he knew part of the truth at least for at the core of all the energy types they were discussing the fundamental structure was all the same energy. Therefore it lead to the knowledge that no matter what the source of a energy type they could all in the end be used for whatever purpose you required of them. The energy of water could be made be burn, fire to drown, earth to give lift, and air to smother and shield.

As Professor Valen demonstrated the different methods by which the other energies as they all still perceived them could be used in the shielding he tried to take in as much as possible. Even if... no when he one day found the truth of that energy core it was all still applicable knowledge, for he would be able to take that core of energy and manipulate it into whichever type of shield best suited the occasion.

"Was the thread of air you used in earth shield just to provide Gaeden with air for breathing. Or would it also be used to draw away the heat from the earthen shield? Also with the nature of hot air to rise is it best to draw the heat away from the top of the air shield, or from all parts of it at once?" Gilanor asked, taking the offer chance to ask yet more of the questions that had come to his mind.

Post by Guest »

OOC: Sorry about the lateness and lack of posts here! : ) Tanar was still here, just... resting. This thread now has my full attention. Aren't you lucky. :twisted:

IC: The conversation between the two other fledglings made Tanar feel both out of depth and nervous. Not being one who enjoys conflict of any sort, he began to draw inward into himself, watching the discussion without giving any input or sign that he understood.

Gaeden, however, appeared to be in his stride, throwing out explanations and theories as if he was a fully fledged mage. Tanar felt a flush of jealousy at the other student's obvious deep understanding of the subject. He had prided himself before at being better in the Illusions class, and now he felt that single reassurance had been taken from him.

The fledgling turned bitterly in his seat and crossed his arms. What was the point in trying, if he knew he would be outdone by all those around him anyway? He uncreased his drawing in front of him and produced a long stick of charcoal out of his pocket. Earth and air, water and fire.. he thought, sketching each element as he thought of them: A long flame of twisting fire licked the edges of a pool of sparkling water, which in turn slipped twinkling onto a bed of crusty brown earth. An eagle soared above them all, shining eyes gleaming gloatingly through the fire.

Tanar set his charcoal down and admired his work, leaning forward to blow the charcoal dust from the parchment, and then watching as it flew into a small cloud onto the desk. He had blocked the conversation out as he had become more and more immersed in his drawing, and now he felt a small welt of panic deep in his stomach as he realised he would probably never be able to catch the thread of the conversation now.

Post by Guest »

OOC: I know, Gil. I just can't help apologizing for my PC. OK. I woun't apologize again, but you will PM me whenever I go too far. Deal? Glad you like him.

IC: Gaeden wiped sweat of his face. His tunic was soaked and was closely attached to his physical being. The magling remained standing and quiet during the different scenes. First he was enveloped within a column of stone, then hot air protected him from the fiery flames. He was surprised and bewildered to realize that air was the subject of his preservation.

Remaining silent and at the front of the class, Gaeden waited for professor Valen to go to the next phase of the class. He was unsure whether or not he was supposed to return to his position among the fledglings and hence he lingered beside the mentor. The magling had no further questions and was uninterested in the inquiries from the class. He stayed and listened though.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"Was the thread of air you used in earth shield just to provide Gaeden with air for breathing. Or would it also be used to draw away the heat from the earthen shield? Also with the nature of hot air to rise is it best to draw the heat away from the top of the air shield, or from all parts of it at once?" Gilanor asked, taking the offer chance to ask yet more of the questions that had come to his mind.

"A bit of both and yes." Valen replied to the string of Gilanor's questions. "You may return to your seat now, Gaeden. I think you will find it easier to concentrate with a cooler head."

Valen walked out of the column of fire and took grand leaping steps back to the front of the classroom. Those watching with mage sight could see a shield about the professor made of fire strands. Or at least they seemed more like fire strands than anything else. Something was different about them but it was unclear what.

"This is the part of the class where I should teach you how to craft a net of water about you that would protect you from the flames and then have you prove your ability by walking into the column." Valen explained without pausing for breath. "Unfortunately after I reduced three classes to ash that way they won't let me do it anymore. I still maintain the cost was worth it as the one survivor has gone on to do great things." Valen shook his head at the foolishness of the faculty. "So we shall try the reverse. I will teach you to surround yourself with a net of flame to protect you from the water."

Valen went striding off towards the corner where the water once flowed then pivoted one leg to face the class again. "Oh all of you have learned the art of shielding yes?" His eyes look to everyone's sashes and realizes this is not the case. "Hmm. Tricky. You'd burn yourself up with your own shield."

"Change of plan. You'll protect yourself from earth with air." Valen announced. "Obviously this will work against only very small bits of earth but you never know when you'll encounter a sandstorm or volcanic ash. Everyone watch carefully."

"Forming the lattice itself is easy." The students could see the threads of air very deftly woven into a net like affair around him. "But a web of static air doesn't really help you much. The trick is to get all the air moving in the same direction." The effects are easy to observe as the howling of whirling wind can be heard about professor Valen. On the magic plane it is more subtle but careful observation shows that the pale blue within the lines of air was moving and in the direction Valen commanded. "Give it a try." He instructed.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Return to “Gulanadur Archive”