Elementalism 101 ( Magic Guild ) ~ 20th ~ Tradetide

Moderators: Tristam, Mods

Post by Guest »

OOC: Well they are certainly getting on like a house on fire aren't they ;)

"This is introduction elementalism class for students to learn the skills required to handle elemental forces, not some battle magics class. Once again it seems I need to remind you that you are not the teacher here but simply another new student learning as others here are learning. Your arrogance in believing that you know best as to what will help will no doubt get someone killed, or at least injuried if you persist if such reckless behaviour." Gilanor replied, his disgust at the other's rashness colouring his words as he spoke.

As much as he was tempted to give this fool a taste of his own medicine, he had already decided not to lower himself to playing such foolish games. His attention turning back to the front of the classroom he wondered whether the Professor at least might shed some light on the question.

"Professor, might I ask since this individual doesn't even know what his actions would have done. What would have occured if someone was struck with focused shadow energy without any shielding in place, or if their shield failed to stop such energies?" Gilanor asked.
Last edited by Guest on Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Valen chuckled at the interplay between the two students. "The way Gaeden formed his ball of troubles, no harm would have come to you GIlanor. I would have intervened had a potenially lethal force been used." Valen chuckled again. "I don't get so many students that I could afford to let them kill each other."

"Shadow is but the nether side of light." Valen continued. He began pacing again as he does when instructing. "Light energy when unfocused has the capacity to blind and perhaps to grant one a little warmth but no lasting damage would be done. Tis the same with shadow. It could cloud vision and grant the cool of shade but do no lasting harm. Now, should you focus a beam of light then the slight warmth can be concentrated and amplified to a cutting beam of great power. Shadow similarly focused grants one a weapon of chill. It is all a matter of intensifying the aspects of the energy that you most wish to apply to your present situation."

Valen makes a gesture with his hand and a ball of flame appears in his palm. "I need this only to light the room. So I have conjured forth the light of the fire without the heat. Protects my hand that way without worry of shield and I need not concern myself should I drop it." Valen grabbed a scrap of parchment from a nearby desk and thrust it into the heart of the fire. It did not burn. "Some would ask, why not then conjure a ball of light if light is all you wish? In my case, it is because of my skill with flame. I can conjure this far more quickly then I can directly conjure light."
[size=100]
Donald heard a mermaid sing, Susy spied an elf,
But all the magic I have known, I've had to make myself.

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

OOC: A house of fire??? :shock: I thought we were the bestest of friends. :P

IC: "Bah," Gaeden huffed and puffed. The other student obviously did not enjoy the unselfish act and repayed the deed with a harsh and ungratifying response. "I certainly knew that. An unharmful ball under the protective wings of professor Valen. There was not even the slightest chance you would be harmed. Don't be so pretentious and try to come to the realization that I am actually trying to help you." Gaeden exclaimed proudly. He raised his chin and ogled down his nose at Gil. Then he moved up and about from his position and began to stride amongst the fledglings and the teacher.

"I have a suggestion, if you don't mind, professor Valen. Why don't we duel? I mean - it would be a most interesting and learning experience. It does not have to be me against the, ahemm, snobbish, ehmm, fledgling. All I am saying is that we could benefit from it. Of course it would be up to you to intervene whenever you find it necessary," Gaeden happily laid forth his plans. He did not intend to capitulate no matter what though. There were several other students in the class that could also participate, and what would be more challenging and fun than to take on them. Gaeden looked around him to see the reaction of the other fledglings. "I suggest a, well, quite local tournament. Just these capable remaining students. Pair them up and the winners will proceed to the next round. Finally we will see who is the most skilled?!"

The magling brushed his hair away and breathed steadily. He waited impatiently - although on the surface he appeared calm and collected. This would really be a test for him to prove his worth to the fledglings and especially professor Valen.

"What say you, professor? And are up for a challenge, fellow students?" Gaeden asked them all in the same question. There was really not any room for objection. Or at least so he thought. How could anyone pass such an opportunity to test their skills - against him???
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"Such a dueling area already exists within the Guild." Valen informed the students. "There are always those eager to test their skills against each other after all. I would be happy to proctor such a tournament if there is sufficient interest after class."

A few of the students reacted positively to the idea. Indeed, from the looks on their faces, Gaeden would have no shortage of people wishing to challenge him.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

As the Professor said earlier this one has fire on the brain. Here we are in a place where knowledge beyond the understanding of so many can be gained and all he wants to do is brawl with power he has only began to grasp.

As far as Gilanor was concerned the dueling areana was not something that he'd be worrying about anytime soon. With his duties as Professor Chaotxi's apprentice, and with the continued clean-up in the library he had enough to occupy his free time at the moment. The learning of battle magics skills he would leave until such time as he had classes in them scheduled. Learning the truth of the energies was of a far greater interest to him, than simply throwing them about could ever be.

Re-centering himself, he went through the process of grounding and shielding himself once again. As he prepared his shield this time he put an image of overlapping scales into effect at the joints of his shield. Perhaps the reinforcement at those points might strengthen it enforce to prevent forces leaking through at those spots.

In forming the fire shield this time he intended to draw the netting in tight enough so that each strand would both bind together and re-inforce the strands about it. So instead of establishing the netting like that used for a fishing net, he made use of his mind to loom it out as a whole cloth to cover him. The heat within the cloth set into motion yet again away from him, and though his last experiment had proved that worked. Yet he still held the thread of air ready to start cooling the air within it if he needed to do so.
Last edited by Guest on Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

"Well, professor Valen. I sight many interested subjects," Gaeden turned slowly around 360 degrees to review the support in the class. There were many here who were fascinated; an opportunity to demonstrate their proficiency with magick. He himself appreciated the idea and would now prove to them his supremacy. These fledglings would be not real test, simply done with in a single weave.

There were opposition in the class to overcome also. A single magling rewove his shield and ignored both Gaeden and professor Valen. The same fledgling he earlier had tried unselfishly to help improve the magickal barrier. Gaeden was able to understand the obvious lack of interest, on the other hand he did not enjoy the credolous act. A participant did simply not disregard another suggestions.

"HEY THERE! Where do you stand on this matter or are you simply to engaged with that shield of yours? Don't mind that, professor Valen, I am sure he will come around, and if not, he does not seem quite intrigued with the prospect of real test of skills. It seems there is support enough in the class, and we would possibly add other and more willing, and more capable [whisper], participants in the place of those who do not wish to join," Gaeden stated. He assumed charge of the situation like he had been doing earlier. "Now, I think perhaps we shall conclude the class first and give these excellent elves a chance to rest. I suggest the 22nd, perhaps in the morning when we are all refreshed." Gaeden fingered his chin and thought of how the proceedings would be set up. He pouched his lips and continued to scratch his chin.

"Let us set up a note in the dining hall so that all willing can have the opportunity to join. Then we pair combatants and the winner moves on. I think I see a real tournement ahead of us. Perhaps a tradition here at the Magick Guild is forming?" The inexperienced magling stated with a hopeful tinge. He would name the tournament after himself when he had won the entire competition. "The Calmcacil Tournament for Combative Magick" he would call it. It sounded magnificent in his mind, and he could see himself standing above the heads of the defeated fledglings with a crown on his head and a scepter in his hand. Or perhaps that was another dream???

Post by Guest »

OOC: Just putting this up in case Tristam was waiting on Gilanor's reaction. O dear Gilanor seems to have gotten under Gaeden's skin by ignoring him ;)

Gilanor ignored the attempt of Gaeden to attract his attention and continued to focus on setting his shield in place. The attactions of this particular student babbling had already worn thin, and even if they hadn't his words offered little in the way of merit.

Secured in the knowledge that he had already gained a formal apprenticeship on Merit alone from a Master of the Guild, Gilanor was confident enough in his own self to ignore such baiting. The formation of the shield and its weaving was more interesting than the other students rantings.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Gaeden's query was answered by silence and then a flare of light as Gilanor burst into flame!

The sheets of flames that surrounded Gilanor poured heat out into the classrom and many of the students staggered back to escape it. Valen stood calmly by and didn't even break a sweat. Nor did Gilanor as all the heat radiated safely away from him. All the reaction to his magic was unknown to him however as he could not see through the thin wall of fire.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

The energies of the flame weave seems to provide energic reinforcement to each other. Even while the motion stays consistent, and the heat appears to be indeed radiating outwards, or at least not inwards. Interesting barrier though it would appear limited due to the user's inability to see past the flame . Perhaps if you could use another weave to see beyond or my energy senses were better tuned to tell what was past it.

The energy of flame smoothed his senses on both planes of existance, and so after maintaining the shielding for a few flickers he decided to end his latest experiment. Step by step he started to take the barrier down, first by cutting off the energy he was passing into the flame barrier and then letting the energies currently in it start to flow away via his grounding. Only once he got the actual barrier completely down did he intend to release his control of the weaves of flame.

Then and only then would anything else about him be even the slightest of interest.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Dismantling the spell proved as easy as constructing it and the fire dropped away in an orderly fashion.

OOC: OK guys this class is way in the past, so let's wrap this up and move on. Gaeden, if you want to go on with a Dueling tournament, let me know and I'll start a thread on the 24th for it.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

OOC: Agreed.

is it okay if I put my timejump stuff in here for the 20th though to 22nd?
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

OOC: GO right ahead.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

Though he certainly didn't think that throwing elemental energies around was the be all and end all that Professor Valen did he at least had learnt a few things from the lesson. Shielding in particular he felt would come in particularly useful not only with protecting himself from loose energies from his own spells but also in regards to protecting himself from energies that others sent his way. While the flame shield that he had at the end put together certainly had the potential for protecting him against anyone that tried to grab him off the streets.

That one certainly seemed to have some potential through he'd have to work on it somewhat in order to be able to put the weave together quickly enough to be useful. Also there was the slight problem of not being able to see through the weave as to what was going on around him well it was a beginning point to work with at least. The practise would also let him know if he was getting better at weaving threads of energy through his shielding, something that he certainly needed to work on.

Now he had a few things to keep himself busy until his next class according to the schedule he had been provided. Between time in the library, extra lessons and chores with Professor Chaotxi, weave practise and his own studies he was sure that he wouldn't have a lot of time to spare. However, he'd have to find some though to go out and put his left over coins to good use.

They certainly weren't going to do anyone any good just sitting in his pouch. Perhaps he could buy a small share in a caravan or something, since he certainly hoped he was going to be studying here for yathren to come. Starting now to develop a nest egg of funds would certainly give him plenty of chance to get a sizeable amount of funds put together. Which was a good idea, after all setting himself up where ever and whatever he finally decided to go or do wouldn't be cheap.

Practise of weaves was a priority though as he needed to put something together besides just a means to hold others away from himself, or badly hurt them if they did manage to grab him, he admitted to himself. A weapon would certainly be a good idea, perhaps some type of energy blade that he could cast a foes like a throwing dagger.

Since the concept and feel of the such blades was familiar to him hopefully one of energy shouldn't be too hard to construct. Also it should be far more dangerous to defend against since it should go through normal protections. Perhaps he could even construct the weave so it looked like a normal knife even if charge with something like the sparking energy within the body's muscles. Anyway it was something to practise in his room when Ssinith wasn't there at least, as he certainly didn't want anyone knowing what offensive capabilities he had developed. He have time enough to plan out how to construct the weave while he was continuing the tidy up of the library, or running different errands for the Professor.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

OK, thread skilled!

-- Tris
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Return to “Gulanadur Archive”