Less Traveled By

Moderator: Mods

Dun

Post by Dun »

Dun took a step away from the table and then fell to the floor. He sat there for a long while before speaking once again. He did long after Nessa had left. It felt in his silence, and his expression, that he was unsure as to what to say. There where so many questions, and all of them seemed to have no answers.

When he finally spoke, he did looking up to Etta. He looked into her stranded eyes that didnt look back, and just said

"You dont think... What?"
Lira

Post by Lira »

She looked at him without recognition. "Who are - " A strange expression crossed her face, and before his eyes she wavered, becoming translucent and barely there. The moment passed and she looked at him. "I don't think that I can help you." She nodded toward the bedrooms. "But he can. Hurry. She can't do this for long."
Dun

Post by Dun »

As if everything that had happened was something of every-day life and as if everything that had been said, even though it was not much, had been the words with most sense of his life, he stood up, and followed Nessa into the darkness of the next room.
Lira

Post by Lira »

She wasn't there. Instead her brother sat on a narrow cot like bed, a blanket pulled up to his chest. He looked at Dun with recognition, a strange intensity in his eyes. "It was all an accident, you know." For a moment, his form wavered and flickered into translucence, as Etta's had done moments before. Then it was done, and he was solid and present again. He looked steadily at Dun, but did not seem to see him, instead looking through him with an unblinking gaze. "Hurry. She can't hold this for long, and you have to ask. We can't answer, if you don't ask."
Dun

Post by Dun »

Dun closed the door behind him. All thoughts of everything seeming weird and strange were left outside the room. It was as if finally, he was startingto realize how the truth was being unfolded before him. He leaned back against the wall in front of the boy with his arms crossed over his chest, thinking what was it he needed to know the most. After quick but strong consideration the first question to come up was:

"What is happening?"
Last edited by Dun on Tue May 13, 2003 8:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lira

Post by Lira »

A smile - 'Nessa's strange smile - twitched across Allen's face, and then was gone. "Nothing. Not anymore. That's not the right question at all." He frowned. "You should ask what happened and maybe something else, not what is happening." He shook his head. "But I'll answer. You're stuck. Like tar holding you here. But you're the only ones here." He nodded toward the other room. "He won't wake up. He's being used."
Dun

Post by Dun »

For the short moment when Nessa´s smile passed Dun´s heart jumped and the fear inside for him took a while to leave. But, as seeing what his question had produced, he went on, a bit more anxious now.

"Very well then, lets start from the beginnign. What happened Allen?"
Lira

Post by Lira »

Allen shook his head, and suddenly seemed a great deal more like the simple and common-place youth Dun had first met, and less like the otherworldly 'Nessa. "I'm sorry you're here. It didn't mean for it to happen. Neither does she, I don't think." He shuddered a bit and looked up.

"We lived here. All of us. Just a regular little town. 'Nessa was always . . well she wasn't nothing close to normal, but she were happy. People looked at her funny, but they knew she didn't have any harm in her. And then things . . . changed." He looked down. "Our father kept bees. Sold the honey. Made a good enough living. The hives are a little ways away, so's they won't sting no one. He and me went into Roque to sell a while back. When we got back, it was real late. He went to go check the hives. He never came back."

He looked at Dun. "'Nessa, she always had a thing. A way with creatures. A year or so ago, she rescued a wolf pup from one of the villagers that killed its mama and brothers. Raised it for months in secret, till people found out. She let it loose before they could kill it - they were afraid it'd get at their cows. They hunted it down. Dad felt responsible, went with 'em. 'Nessa got mad. She said she hoped he died, if her pup did."

He looked down. "She didn't mean it. Just angry kid stuff, you know? But they all heard. Then dad died. Wolves got him. A couple of rogues. Found him out by the hives. Only 'Nessa had already found him when I got there. Had Henry with me - he never could keep nothin' quiet. Told everyone about it. She'd tried to get him to stand - was covered in blood."

He fisted his hands around the blanket. "People started saying stuff. And 'Nessa, 'Nessa just got stranger. Orcs and bandits started sniffing 'round. Weren't safe for no one. 'Nessa would look at people and say things. Told this young couple they were gonna die. Next day they got cut down. People got afraid to leave, but afraid to stay too. Started callin' 'Nessa a witch."

He sighed heavily. "'Nessa hated it. She hated knowing what was to happen, but she couldn't not say anything. Said it hurt her head to stay silent. I was having to do the bees - wasn't much good at it - and go to Roque alone to trade the honey. I was getting ready to go - takin' Grim with me, a friend. He wanted to buy a ring for her sweetheart. We was getting ready to go, and 'Nessa comes out. I could tell something were wrong. Before I could say anything, she runs at Grim with a knife and stabs him in the back. She didn't kill him - wasn't strong enough to make the knife go in far enough. But she might as well have, far as most were concerned."

"I went on to Roque - didn't want to, but Mama made me. We were bad up for food and money, and the villagers wouldn't help us no more. Grim, friend of mine, he moves in certain circles in Roque. I gets there, and he tells me some stuff fell offa the back of one the Than's caravans. Grim's a good lad - knew 'bout 'Nessa - hands me this book. I'm not much of one for reading, but I start paging through it and there's all kinds of stuff about "Seers" people who see stuff - like 'Nessa. In the back is a way to cure it."

Allen stopped, his form wavering again. A look of panic crossed his face. "She's losing it. Won't be long now. I read the book, did what it said - I just wanted to make her better! The village was near to lynchin' her! You could feel it! I drew the circles on the ground, and did the summonin'. But I must have done it wrong, 'cause it didn't fix nothing. Nothing's here any more. I made it bad. So much worse. It's there - on the western edge, where time stops. You have to stop her. She don't know. She don't mean it. But stop her."

Allen gave Dun a final, pleading look. "Nothin's real. Maybe no even you soon." He wavered again, and when he returned, he looked at Dun with an expression of puzzlement, no sign of their conversation on his face. "Thought you were sleepin' with your friend over in the Garson house?"

OOC: I had intended to break this into a couple of post, but I couldn't get it to work well in pieces, hence the Giant Block of Exposition. Sorry!
Dun

Post by Dun »

Dun rushed towards Allen and grabbed him by the shoulders. "Were is the western edge Allen?! Where is it?!" - He demanded, but the look in the boy´s eyes told Dun that he was not dealing with the same kid as before anymore. He released him and left the room, slammed the door shut as he left.

He quickly headed towards the main door of the house, passing by the table where both Etta and Tab were. He stopped as he noticed them, and gave a qick look to both, thinking about saying something, then remembered what Allen had said

"He is being used Dun, nothing you can do unless you find her"

After a quick moment of doubt, he just turned his head and went on towards the door.

He left the house in a hurry, and ran across the road towards the place where he and his friends had been sleepeing. He entered the place, tumbling in the darkness inside. Finding his way by keeping his hands against the walls he eventually found the stairs, which he climbed up three steps at a time, unable to figure out how he did not fall on the whole process. Once in the room, without even stopping to think he aproached his gear. Under the moonlight he found his sword, lying over the table next to his backpack. An empty feeling of safety grew within him as he grasped the weapon. He threw the sheath to the floor and contemplated the cold steel in his hand for a moment, then left the room, just as he had entered: Quickly

He reached the main road that stood between both houses and inmediatly looked around for the place Allen had mentioned, then realized he had no idea where he actually was. North, south, east and west, they all ment nothing to him in this place he ignored. For a minute that felt as an eternity he tried his best to figure out where he was, and which way to go. In a flash, the maps of the western kingdom appeared in his mind. He followed the roads, trying to discover anything, but he was unfamiliar with a place so far away from his home town. The knowledge in his mind was not enough to give him an answer on such short time.

Discarding that, his eyes went up towards the heavens, maybe there he could find out something, but this was also useless. He could recognize a few stars, but to him, they were all nothing but candles hanging from the distant sky.

"Only one more thing to try" - He said to himself as he lifted his sword before him and closed his eyes. "I can do this, I can do this" - He repeated to himself in his thoughts. Trying his best to shut out from his consience every distraction, he started to concentrate, trying to feel the waves of energy around him, trying to catch a spark of magic in the darkness that surrounded him

The first thing to jump up to his mind as he did this, was something he could not ignore, something that felt as it shouldnt be. It was the song, that sweet childhood song that his mother used to sing, and that Nessa had brought back to his memory. Dun started to belive, like had never belived in anything before, that in such a melody was they key to finding his way, he just needed to concentrate hard enough.

(OOC: No problem, I had a great time reading it, in fact im glad some large posts are finally starting to show up again! Hope you like mine. Im assuming I dont know which way the cardinal points are. Since in real life I can never know where they are at night, I guess Dun should not be able either, specially snce he is in an unfamiliar place)
Last edited by Dun on Thu May 15, 2003 3:46 am, edited 3 times in total.
Lira

Post by Lira »

The song's simple melody trilled through his head in his mother's melodic voice. After a moment it wavered and became 'Nessa's piping, childish hum, growing stronger and more clear as it did. An image began to form in his mind, a small hut backlit by a full moon, a soft snarl of wolves sifting through his mind as the song drifted on.

Then the song changed again. The voice in his head became his own, deeper and rougher than the child's had been. The image sharpened, took on life and shades. He saw his own hand reaching toward it, pulling the door open.

And a wave of darkness washed over his mind like inky water. The voice became a shrill scream, the wolves a howling symphony. The cabin twisted its shape, became sharp bleeding angles and sinister shadows. A voice, brittle and cold and faintly amused whispered behind his eyes. "The child oversteps her bounds. No matter. Come then. Come and see her. She has missed you."

It faded, and the vision with it, leaving a dull ache in his head and a lingering image of horror in his mind. When his eyes opened, the village around him wavered, as Allen and Etta had done, shifting between deep night and dim daylight. It stopped after a moment, the night taking hold again. To his left he saw a cabin, set back against the trees. It's shape was familiar, and the darkness around it seemed to shine and shift, it's depth darker than those of the places around it.
Dun

Post by Dun »

The song broke at the voices of those trapped inside its words. The darkness, still lurking, watched amussed. The night waved among the light of day as the souls of those beneath them did with their veil. And the sword on Dun´s hand, still and as ready as it had ever been, craved for evil´s blood. There he stood, alone by his sword

Dun´s eyes were open, and his gaze now fixed on the cabin. The images of horror dancing about the place, betting among themselves the heart of the young man. He started walking. "So young" - He said to himself as he took the first step - "So scared" - As he took the second. Unable to think or say nothing more, he kept going, alone and silent

He reached the cabin in silence. He was finally there, among the darkness. He grabbed the knob. So cold, it felt as being stabbed in the hand by shards of ice. The images flashed back one after the other, over and over again. With each inch he turned the knob a new scream could be heard in his head, a new sight of blood would come to his eyes, growing, more and more, as an orchesta of fear reaching for its climax. It stopped turning, and all fell silent. The door was open. And there he was before it, alone with the shadows

Slowly, Dun pulled it towards him, raising the sword before him, ready to face whatever was inside, alone.
Lira

Post by Lira »

The door to the cabin swung easily open. He stepped inside, almost without consciously making the decision, and swung the door shut behind him. The cabin was small and cozy, lit by a cheery fire in a well made stone fireplace. A small desk sat in one corner. Niccione sat behind it, her head bent over some strange mixture in front of her, biting her lip in thought. She looked up when the door fell shut and blinked in surprise. "Dun! What are you doing here?" In the corner opposite her, 'Nessa sat crosslegged on the floor, her head bent.

"He's come to play." The child said with a smile.

Niccione glanced at her and smiled gently, the expression just as Dun remembered it. "Perhaps 'Nessa dear. Did you eat that soup? It will help that cold I hear in your voice." She turned to look at Dun. "So, IS that why you've come? To Play?" Her voice took on a playful tone as she asked, her smile widening.
Dun

Post by Dun »

Dun shutted the door behind him and lifted hi sword, feeling ready to fight whatever was inside, or so he tought. His weapon fell quickly along with his zeal when facing the completely unexpected.

Dun struggled with himself to keep face as to watching Niccione once again. The memories of her fading expression, just moments ago from happening, where strong in his mind. Seeing her once again almost shattered his soul, but Allen´s words, along with the last shards of his sanity gave him the strength to grab on to reality and face her once again.

But still somewhat unable to stare at her inexistent precense, Dun forced his eyes away. Both of them fell on the figure of little Nessa, sitting in the corner. A sudden rush of adrenalie filled every muscle in him, and the sword in his hand begged for a final stab that would finish it all, but something prevented it. Deep down, he didnt know if either to hate or pitty the poor girl. "What could she posibly be thinking by now?" - He thought, and then quickly remembered what had happened back at her house, how she had read his mind like an open book. If she were to do it now... He couldnt let her. Realizing this he tried his best to change the subject, to make her speak, to distract her from his mind.

"I may be love" - He said out loud, without taking his eyes off Nessa - "But I don´t think little girls can stay up this late, can they? Why don´t you go ahead and tell me what you are playing so we can save some time?"
Lira

Post by Lira »

Niccione smiled. "It's not very late. And 'Nessa is very special. She has such dark dreams. Sometimes, its better to let her stay awake. Isn't that so, 'Nessa?" The little girl nodded, and Niccione looked back at Dun, her pretty face turning concerned. She reached out with one slim hand to touch his fingers. "Dun? Is something wrong? Is your wound still bothering you? You seem so . . .uneasy?"

'Nessa sat in her corner, and looked at Dun with a steady, unflinching gaze. Milky white eyes didn't see him, but instead seemed to look straight through him. Niccione glanced at her and smiled gently. "You shouldn't worry so Dun. Things are never so dire as they seem. Aren't you at all glad to see me? I've missed you so."
Dun

Post by Dun »

Dun´s hand quickly withdrew from Niccione´s touch. He closed his eyes to hers, and forced his face to look away, back towards the door, unable to deal with the expression he knew she would have. He repeated to himself - "Its not her, its not her! She isn´t here! You can´t be fooled! Its not her!" - But it seemed real, so real his own senses were fooled, so real that even his heart jumped as he felt her hand neating his.

For a moment, as he did this, he felt as if he had betrayed his own heart. Inside his chest, it begged for him to turn back, to say something, but his mind stayed strong. Only his thoughts he could wield now. That, and the steel that trembled in his hand.

As he closed his hand tighter around the handle, the thought came up again, the doubt as to what would happen, should he end it all with his sword. He judged the action in his mind for a moment. As he considered it, more and more it seemed as the best thing to do, up to the extreme where he turned around towards Nessa, almost ready to do it. But it was hopeless. Once again as he looked upon the girl, the small remains of doubt overwhelmed his determination. He could not do it. He had to play along, atleast for now, and find another way.

He took a step foward as he placed his sword back in the sheath. Still not able to look at Niccione he simply said out loud - "Im fine... I just miss you a lot. Days have felt as months since the last second we looked at each other"

"All I want now is to see you again... I wish you were here with me, love" - His own voice said inmediatly inside his head

"So..." - He continued - "Are you girls going to tell me what you are doing here? Or should I call this game over and send little Nessa here to bed?"
Lira

Post by Lira »

'Nessa shook her head violently, a soft mew coming from her mouth. She shut her eyes, and for just a moment, the room wavered and changed. The firelit room shifted its shadows, lighting with genuine daylight. The child crouching in the corner seemed to be two things at once. The 'Nessa he knew - eerie and cheurubic, and another child, gaunt and pale, dressed in rags, hair in ragged clumps.

Niccione's smiling face became translucent. Behind her was another face, this one made of dark shadows and dove-white bone. The face jerked toward 'Nessa, and the child whimpered again, and the room returned to as it had been, Niccione's lovely face looking at Dun in innocent concern. "Game? I don't . . understand. I came here for you. I left my duties, my friends, and came here to find you. I missed you. Roque was empty without you. I thought . . . you would be glad but you seem so . . . I don't know." She looked at him sadly.

He felt the illusion beginning to overwhelm him. Within his mind, the line between real and false was wavering. Another soft sound from 'Nessa came, and he heard a tiny voice in his mind. "Not real. False. Feeding. Please . . . no one else."
Dun

Post by Dun »

The ilusion came again as the room regained substance, this time so much stronger it quickly started gained on against Dun´s own perception of reality. His sanity was now fleeing with haste. The waving room left him disoriented, and the words, wrapped in Niccione´s voice, pushed him even closer to the edge. Everything started to make sense to him in the very ilusions twisted way. His mind now had began to accept what was going on around him as real, and even when he still had a faint idea of it all being false, somehow, the very word had lost all meaning. All that mattered now was, more and more, to be there, to embrace it all.

He turned around, his body now loosened held him up on his legs almost by pure chance, and his hand now grabbed the sword by the tip of its fingers. Every word was poured into him as a sedative, its hipnotic sadness begging for him to let go of the world, and every curve and detail of her face was a charming image of beauty leaving no trace of the now almost forgotten reality it had been.

Dun had time to take one step towards her, when a familiar sound reached him deep down inside his day-dreams. It was Nessa again. That girl that had dragged him and his friends to that cursed place, that had looked right through his soul, that had puzzled his mind as if it was nothing but a toy, that had hunted them down at night, that had killed Mite, that had stabbed Tab, that had her own family tormented, that held this place under the cover of eternal shadow. He remember every moment ot that night now, each one with so much detail, every move, every word, every scream and expression. He could not help it, hate started to grow inside his heart, hate and anger mixing up into the very escence of his emotions, the driving energy of his mind, the flowing blood in his veins. He could not take it anymore. His mind showed before him the image of Niccione again, her words repeated themselves, showing him the beauty of letting go of the anger and becoming one with her, showing him the bless of living inside the false reality that so easily was being offered to him, but the hate was too much. It blocked away every image, every sound, every gesture, every emotion, only the pure hate and anger flowed now, only for it did he had any attention. His body recovered its tension, pumping in adrenaline like never before, and his hand closed over the sword once again, so hard this time, blood started to flow between his closed fingers.

With a loud cry he lifted the blade over his head, and with a powerfull crossed slash to the right. He turned around making in a circle, throwing the blow around him with all the strenght he had. The sword cutted through the air and shadow quick and swift towards the little girl. Dun´s instincts could now almost taste the fresh blood about to flow by his hand. And the sword kept going, roght towards her, and passed on about an inch away from her face. Dun closed his eyes as the blade kept going, diving into Niccione´s chest with all the power he could gather. The blood that fell on his face afterwards, was cleaned away by the tears that followed...
Lira

Post by Lira »

Only there was no blood. Instead there was a sound, a high keening gasp that thundered across his eardrums. The images in the room vanished, bright daylight streaming through rough-hewn boards and badly shuttered windows. Niccione glared at him, a fury in her face that he did not think the real woman was capable of, the sword protruding obscenely from her chest. She hissed at him, the keening coming to a halt as she spoke. "Ignorant mortal. Are you not tired? I could show you bliss. A sleeping dream world where all you ever wanted is at your fingertips!" Niccione's face dissolved, melting away as if dipped in acid.

The face beneath it was horrific, but strangely compelling. The eyes were made of deep shadows, secrets both beautiful and horrible swimming in their depths. The face was made of bone that linked together in odd ways, forming an ever changing face that was humanoid in only the vaguest sense. It smiled always. The creature lifted hands that were tipped in razor sharp bone. "Dunaideran, are you not weary? You've fought so hard, and for what purpose? What has it gained you? Exiled, hunted, driven almost to madness. I could take it from you . . . In life, you may never have her. In dreams, you can. What for do you fight? Tomorrow you could be found, killed. Perhaps they will get her -" a flash of Niccione's face again, then it faded – "bring her to you. Cut off strips of flesh until you surrender. How long would it take? Men are so cruel, are they not?" The voice was soft and hissing, almost hypnotic.

Nessa, her voice duller and harsher now than he remembered spoke. "Lies! Lies in darkness and light. Time stolen. Prisoner who wants free. Must not!"

The creature snapped its gaze to her, and 'Nessa gave a small cry and tumbled to the floor, asleep. "She is child. Does not understand. In life, they hated her. She would have died, and for what? For the false prejudices of man. I can make her sleep. Make her peace. In life, she cannot have that." The sleeping 'Nessa was the one from his wavering vision, haggard and dirty with gaunt cheeks and bloodied hands.

The creature pushed the sword from its chest, apparently unharmed by it, though it seemed to not like its touch. Behind him was a door, roughly cut into the wall of the room and ill-fitting. The creature hung close to the door, and Dun could see a strange darkness and a weird, multicolored glow from beneath it.
Dun

Post by Dun »

Dun looked up right at the beasts eyes as he pulled back his sword form its grip and held it tight, in front of him, pointing at its face. He stepped back, and not changing at all both the position of his sword and the hatefull yet calm expression of his own stare, he grabbed Nessa and held her tight against him, lifting her up against his free shoulder.

He slowly aproached the beast. The tip of his blade could now almost touch its chest, and his calm face still had only pure hate to show. There he stood, silent, for the longest seconds in his life, untill words could finally come out of him. But instead of the heroic words, filled with meaning, devotion and conviction, that quickly made their way up to his mind, only the simplest of things came out, with a voice stronger than the very steel he weilded. A simple command - "MOVE..."
Lira

Post by Lira »

The creature hissed, the sound like wind over a grave. "Go then. Fool. It'll do you no good." He stood his ground though, but Dun could see that the creature was slightly transparent, and the sword, when he pushed it forward, seemed to move through with no resistance, though the creature winced and shrank away from its touch.

The girl he held smelled of filth and dirt, and her shaking body was almost completely made of skin, bones, and sharp angles. She breathed against his ear, and her fingers - the nails on them ragged and dirty - dug into the back of his neck. She made a softly fearful noise. "Book . . . Careful . . . oh, careful." Her breathing went even, and her head fell, seemingly drifting off into a deep sleep.

The creature was staring at her and looked at Dun. "I tried to protect them, you know. Murderous little girl child. Her brother brought me here to save them, but I could not. Poor people. So sad. Killed her own father. Such evil."

OOC: Dun, I will be leaving next week for horse buying trip that will take me across the sea. I'll be gone for at least a month, and most likely longer. I won't have regular internet access, as we'll often be staying at farms to look at horses, but a friend has offered to post for me if I dictate them to her over the phone.

Obviously, this wouldn't be terribly consistent, so I leave it up to you. I can attempt to explain the plot to another mod and ask someone to cover, or you can suffer with me being inconsistent until I get home.
Last edited by Lira on Mon Jun 09, 2003 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dun

Post by Dun »

Dun´s blade made its way through the beast´s ethereal form, but yet Dun did not move foward. He stayed there, staring at the beasts eyes.

"This is protection? Answer me! You think this...?" - He said as he pressed the girl to his body giving a quick glance at her - "Is a way of protecting people? Saving them by consuming their souls with lies?!"

"What did you expect damnit!!" - He yelled at the beast - "Why like this? Why did it have to be like this?!"
Lira

Post by Lira »

The creature wavered for a moment and it's ever-present grin seemed to spread. "Like this? How else should it be, mortal boy? Mortal child, death in skin and blood. You walk for a brief time and then fall. My kind exist for ages without measure. Life and death - these are blinks of our eyes. What matter if her body withers? What matter if the earth reclaims her? I can shelter her spirit."

The child in his arms stirred a bit, her voice hoarse and small. "Book . . . room . . . careful . . . not alive, not dead." Through the rough, cracked door Dun could make out a battered table which seemed to be the source of the ever-changing light.

The creature caught the direction of his gaze and grinned hollowly. "Such heroes men are. What would you do, then?"

OOC: Hi! ;) A brief stop on my trip, tomorrow it's off to Kentucky!
Dun

Post by Dun »

Dun hesitated for a moment, his eyes rolling down to the floor, covering every inch of the room, of the beast, of the girl and himself as they did. He pressed tighter at the girl in his arm, holding her against his shoulder, his other hand still holding the blade, the tip slowly scratched the ground.

The light of the room, making shadows of them all as it passed through the cracks of the door, fell on his face, pulling his gaze once more. His eyes climbed up the threads of light, ending once again leveled with the beasts as it spoke.

"What do you think?" - He asked. Every muscle in him tightened once more at the expectation of the monster's answer, yet he did not wait for it. - "I wont ask a third time... Move!" - He demanded as he took a step towards the door

OOC: Hey Lira!! I hope you are having a great trip, and that you are having fun while at it! Im still here, waiting, so you take your time ok? :D
Last edited by Dun on Sun Jul 06, 2003 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lira

Post by Lira »

The creature laughed, the sound shifting and becoming high and feminine in the middle. Niccione smiled at him and bowed mockingly. "As you wish." She said softly. As he watched she vanished, taking the creature she'd been with her.

The rickety door swung open, and he could see a small backroom.. A body - it's features sunken and beginning to decompose - lay sprawled halfway inside of a white-chalk rune circle drawn in the dirt floor. A large book sits on a rough table beside him, it's open pages giving off the strange multi-colored glow he'd seen from beneath the door.

The center of the rune circle was pulsing darkness. Images swirled in it, each of them unidentifiable but strangely familiar, as if they were drawn from some half-remembered childhood nightmare.

The body was nearly unrecognizable. Its features were shrunken and emaciated, as if he had starved before he died. He could see no wound, no cause of death save the gauntness. Insects crawled along the skin and the corpse smelled of rot and age - but Dun could see who it was, after a long moment's study. It was Allen.

The child in his arms stirred, weak voice moaning softly and then going silent again.
Dun

Post by Dun »

It took Dun a moment to adapt to the vision of death before him. His eyes, open wide, moved over and over again from each part of the room to the next. Everything that came into his sight took another part of his breath.

Both his body and his mind demanded to let go and collapse over the wooden floor, but he strated to move again, before their echoes could take a hold of him.

Dun placed the little girl on the floor against one of the walls, the pulsing pain in his arm fading as if thanking him for it. He aproached the table, keeping his distance from Allen's body, fearing the evil surrounding it, fear which, all the time instigated him to close the book, break the spell, and run away.

He didnt.

In the quietness of the room, alone except for the dead, Dun placed his sword back in it sheath, his open palms against the old table, and looked into the book

Return to “On the Road Archive”