A Meeting of Minds - Marius's Office TT 21st Samheen

Moderator: Mods

Post by Guest »

Marius smiled. He didn't smile due to Isabella's offer, generous though it may be, but he smiled because a plan had formed in his mind, a plan that could very likely work if it were executed properly. And she must be the one to execute it. And if she does her job well, we'll all live to see the middle of next week.

"Very well, Isabella. My counter-proposal is this. First, if we're successful, I assure you that your face is the last thing Secretary Silk sees before his death. In addition, you'll have my help on one other matter as well..." Marius pointed towards her breast. "...that document you have, that would name you Countess. It won't hold, you understand. When a noble line becomes extinct, it's holdings become droit to the crown. feudal obligation can't be handed over like a horse or a few coins, because technically it belongs to the Caesar, and only a hereditary heir has any right at all to investiture. The Lord Privy Seal will confirm this, though I propose you do not show him yet, for he is a Kislovite who hates humanity with a passion, and he'll be pleased to use your document as proof of the line's extinction and, therefore, take steps to acquire that holding for the Crown. But I can fix that on a purely..." Marius smiled "...simple matter of...adjusting the document such that it applies. That is, if you don't mind becoming the window Countess De Companio..."

Marius rose and began to pace once more, his mind working quickly. Excitement was building in him, excitement that, for a small moment, dispelled his fatigue and depression. "But you'll have to earn it, Countess, for we're in grave danger and even that title earns you no measure of protection against the Secretary. But you're in luck, for I have a plan for you that might deliver him into your lovely hands, if you're truly brave enough to accomplish it. I will assume a magnificent amount of risk here, and you will as well, since you must carry out this plan yourself with only limited help from me."

"I already know that Silk will come after me in time. We must be sure he chooses to use Lord Azerin as his weapon. Lord Azerin has done this before, when Silk conspired with him to kill L..." Larbeido. Does she know this? Perhaps it might be wise if I were to keep it to myself... "...another. Silk will want to place Azerin in my office, controlling the Chamber, for Silk will believe he can control Lord Azerin, especially if he can convince Azerin to be his assassin...for that gives him a measure of control over him. When they conspire together, you must hear them, for your word and Lord Azerin's should be adequate to take a charge to the Lord Chancellor. Silk will be charged with treason, and the only penalty for treason is death."

"But you, Isabella...you must help Silk make his decision. You must give Silk to believe that Lord Azerin will happily plot to see me killed, and it must be just public enough such that Silk will certainly find out. Naturally, it would be wisest if Lord Azerin knew nothing of our plan until after our trap has been sprung, but I promise you that he will not be caught in the implications if he gives his testimony with you. THAT is how we can snare and beat this wolf, Isabella. What say you? How well do you know Lord Azerin?"
Isabella Florentina
Countess Companio, "Countess Cabernet"

Post by Isabella Florentina »

Andolin and Silk, killing Larbeido. Isa knew of no other L and Andolin had already claimed such. But not that he employed Silk's help.. what dangerous paths we both tread.

"Lord Azarin," Isabella corrected absentmindedly as she mulled Marius' proposal over. She had feared as much when Lady Aesa talked to her last night.. the document would not hold as is. At least being a widow solves any awkward problems. She would of course have preferred being the widow De Bessnie once upon a time, but this title came without the dreaded mother in law, a definate bonus. She didn't even wonder how the Major Domus knew about the document. It was obvious he had his contacts everywhere, which begged the question if the spies had been reporting to Silk as well.

"A carefully dropped whisper, some gentle conversation in a public room," Isa mused out loud, her narrowed eyes indicating she was giving this much thought "that would reach Silk's ears soon enough I presume." Andolin would be angry of course, but he would be even more enraged when he found out that with the Ceasar his entire powerbase had gone. They both needed a new start. As the widow De Companio, allied to the new faction at court they would stand a better chance. Perhaps I can subtly warn him so that he is not taken unawares.

"I know Lord Azarin well" Isabella allowed, indicating her relationship vaguely though she suspected Marius already knew "and my instinct tells me he will not willingly plot an assassination .. that is.. an assassination that he has to carry out himself. Too much risk. However, with the right motivation he might at least consider the idea..." Jealousy. Andolin would gladly kill with but the merest reason if he thought Marius was having a relationship with her. Would he forgive her if she tricked him, even if it was for the greater good? She could even encourage this emotion a trival if it was not quick in coming. An impishy grin appeared on Isabella's face "Lord de Winter, would you mind terribly if I .. ahm.. took liberty with the truth and allowed Lord Azarin to assume the worst of our working relationship? Perhaps a conversation about this in a semi public place in heated tones between me and Lord Azarin would do the trick?"
Last edited by Isabella Florentina on Fri Jul 01, 2005 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[size=92][color=darkred] [b][i]
Together they planned a power and a love that would be envied forever.
Who was to know that forever would be so short?[/i][/size][/color][/b]

Post by Guest »

Marius' eyes were searching the empty space between them as he sought error with their plan. The only risk is Azarin. Thankfully, he can't be predicted...but if he can be motivated to act, we might just snare this viper. "Of course, Isabella, I can bear a little scandal, I think," he responded, waving a hand in a dismissive response. "And we'll continue our training under this guise, as I've a feeling you'll need something more than your beauty or your allure to defend yourself. Choose your times as you please, and try to be unpredictable. We needn't adhere to a set schedule, and as I said, I..." Marius appeared a little embarrassed here, easy for Isabella to recognize though she did not feel it herself, another clue that he was using her shield already. "...I do not sleep."

There was a slight risk Isabella would meet up with any number of Marius' other personal spies if she were coming and going at all marks of the day, but the Major Domus was willing to accept that risk. After all, he was not often surprised, and he had already entrusted her with information far more sensitive than a few expendable agents. And I mist admit it...I'll look forward to her visits. She's full of surprises, and...any old fool likes the attentions of a young lady, he added to himself with a weak grin. Turning his eyes back to her, he nodded, his movements still lethargic and fatigued. "I think we've had quite enough for today, do you not, madam Florentina?" he said, the more formal address breaking the earlier atmosphere of their conversation. "Or would you care to astonish me more today?"
Isabella Florentina
Countess Companio, "Countess Cabernet"

Post by Isabella Florentina »

Isabella smiled at him, satisfied that the shields were working. Good, no more accidents, not while we have other things to do. She rose yet stayed close to the Major Domo, leaning over the still lightly stained desk. The remains of her rose perfume circled them both "The next visit, My Lord of the Chamber, " she used his other title deliberately, hoping to catch him off guard, her voice deep and throathy "next time we'll practise sleeping." Her full red lips were close, ever so close, but she withdrew, her dark eyes twinkling as she send him a single small barb of passion, confident now that it would bounce off on his new shield. She had taught him well after all.

After that she withdrew, as elegantly as one could with a bloodied boot, only loosely attached, her head up high and without looking back even once.

Isa was heading straight for her apartment, and once inside wrote a few letters to excuse all her appointments for late tradetide and eveningtide. Slowly she disrobed and attended to her foot, binding it carefully, and rubbing some salve on the welts on her thighs. When she finished the darkhaired lady collapsed into her bed exhausted, her whole body throbbing, and didn't wake until the next morningtide.
[size=92][color=darkred] [b][i]
Together they planned a power and a love that would be envied forever.
Who was to know that forever would be so short?[/i][/size][/color][/b]
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

~Fin, submitted for skilling

Return to “The Citadel proper Archive”