Change is never Easy

Moderator: Mods

Change is never Easy

Post by Guest »

Rymm finished making arrangements with slaves. Stated his Uncle would check in on them from time to time. They were given the authority for credit for seeds to plant next season’s crops. They were left to work the farm until his return. They smiled offered there thanks to Rymm. Bid him good luck and a safe return. Rymm grabbed his pack and headed for his Uncle home. The night was still young when Rymm reached his Uncles Drymms’ house. The usual hugs and tidings were given.

Dinner was set and the usual thanks were given, followed by laughter and talk. Rymm stood and state “Uncle, I have come to that point in my life”….he was cut off by Drymm.
“I know what you are going to say. I disagree, however you must follow your own dreams” Rymm, thinks to himself, “That is just great, I can’t even finish my own anoucement” But that would be rude, so Rymm stood there and waited until his Uncle Drymm finished.

He did not stand long as his Uncle finished as soon as he started. Well, to make a long story short. The morning brings a cargo float to the city. Rymm will make this float with his cousin disembark and head for the guard for commissioning. Knowing full well from his fathers’ stories what lies before him he will shave and ensure he is very clean.

He draws a bath, washes and lathers his face. Rymm begins to trim his beard. This proves to take longer than he thought but, all in all he is sporting a clean shave. His reflection reveals a white un-tanned chin and neck. The next step cut the hair. He thinks to himself “a fresh start, a fresh look” here goes nothing. He whittles away the long hair. He decides not to cut it all off. He does not want to seem brash or rude. So there will something for them cut. Rymm thinks to himself, “ I almost do not know who that reflection is there” He finishes washing and cleaning his body. He readies his supplies and clothes for the morning.

He tries to relax and catch some sleep before the morning arrives. Just like every other night that ends so did this darkness. Morning came, the Dovarks’ scurry about there morning duties. The small group moves to the water edge. They walk down the family dock to the floating cargo boats. They make the navigation check ensure mooring lines are loosened and pulled on board, then they cast off for the run down the river. A final check was made and a shove was given and the cast off was complete.

The trip would be like every other trip made except this time Rymm would not be returning any time soon. He will be looking for the recruiter for the Ra-Fao guard. Life as Rymm knew, was about to change.

Rymm
Ashari
Moderator & Coordinator Mer Cities

Post by Ashari »

OOC: Sorry for the late reply. Been a bit busy. But, welcome to Amun Rah! If you have any questions PM me.

IC:

Indeed Rymm looked like a changed man. As he floated down the River Emphalis from his small village to the North of Abu`Sahir he was watching the great river bank for the final time as just a villager. If he were to ever take this voyage again it would be as a city guardsman or a warrior. Thanks to his father having been in the army unit he was off to a better start than most of the new recruits, so he was very likely to get accepted into the midst.

From the small dock his family and friends that he had known forever and always waves to him and wished him farewell. There had been war among the villages lately, but thankfully his was on the outskirts and had yet to be effected by it. There were rumors of a kidnapped princess of Nashreen. They were tough times indeed. However, everyone stopped to say good-bye to a promising youth. They all hoped that he would return someday.

The small community wished him luck, and at his parting they offered him prayers to Uphuron and Anasis. Now, however, he was floating away on the boat with them disappearing into the distance. The river water moved swiftly enough, and by tradetide they had wound their way down the Emphalis to the next tradeport where the cargo was hefted from the ship and Rymm was greeted by the great city of Abu`Sahir.

The gates seemed to rise to the heavens and greet the gods themselves. A long line stretched from the dock to the podium of the Magistrate who allowed the passing of all people coming into the capitol of Amun Rah. It wasn't until a mark had passed that Rymm was called forward. "Next!" A small man, standing on box to equal the height of those he questioned looked at the youth with washed out cataracted eyes. His skin was shrivelled and prune like and almost as dark and his head was bald not because it was shaved, but because he had lost all his hair due to age. He wore a white toga with a gold sash that had jewels woven into it. "Name and reason for entering the city." He demanded.
[color=#000000][i]"What of the soul was left, I wonder, when the kissing had to stop?"[/i]
-- Robert Browning. [/color][size=75][i]Avatar by: [url=http://vyrl.deviantart.com/]vyrl[/url][/i][/size]

Post by Guest »

{OOC} No problem, thanks, looking forward to this,

“Greetings Sir” stated Rymm. “I am Rymm of the Dvorak family and I request entry into the city. I will be making my way to the royal barracks requesting a commissioning” Rymm thought while he waited for the pruned looking old gentleman to reply to his request. I believe he was standing there on his box when my father request access to the city. Now, here I stand just as my father before me stood. Many memories flashed by as Rymms mind wondered down the roads of past stories and experiences.

He suddenly stop in mid thought. Rymm began to think was I too short or too wordy. Did I seem brash or snooty. Many thoughts of what to expect began to bounce around. Rymm shook it off. Cleared his mind and focused on the man standing on the box. After all with out his mark, granting access to the city nothing could be accomplished. It felt like hours as Rymm calmed and waited for the reply he hoped he would receive.

Rymm
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

The wrinkled man quickly looked from Rymm's foot to his head. "Hmm.. into the army with you, eh?" He queried more to himself than to the youth infront of him as he scrawled down the name and occupation into their proper locations on the parchment that kept track of each and every person that passed though the mighty gates. No doubt, Rymm's father's name was somewhere in a bound book of parchement just like the one directly infront of him. And, as he guessed, maybe written by the same hand.

"Dvorak. Can't say it sounds familiar." He shrugged. "But, going into the great Rafao's guardship is a worthy endeavor indeed." The old man paused. "You are from the villages to the north, then?" He asked briefly, though he was almost certain he knew the answer to it already. "Abu`Sahir is a beautiful city. You will soon forget such a small place." The Magistrate was proud of the capitol.

"In any event, welcome to Abu`Sahir. Head north along the main road, Foreigner's Court, past the merchant stalls and there you will find the Guard Barracks. It's a large building, you can't miss it." He offered a smile, then, looked through Rymm. "NEXT!"

The young man was ushered forward into the city itself where he was met with a vast amount of sights and sounds, almost too much to be absorbed at once. The scent of cooking meats and savoury sauces filled his nostrils mixed with cut flowers and herbs and incense. Merchants' called out their wares. One offered gems, another gold, and another fine pottery. "Bring home a vase for your mother-in-law! Pick a pipe for your father!" He tried to lure the people into his stall.

Many of the people were not from Amun Rah, infact, some weren't even from the Seven Isles. Instead they were nobles and other wealthy folks vacationing from their lives. They barely noticed Rymm, or any of the other locals. If there was any inanimate or animate object that the young man ever wanted, Foreigner's Court was the place to find it.
[color=#000000][i]"What of the soul was left, I wonder, when the kissing had to stop?"[/i]
-- Robert Browning. [/color][size=75][i]Avatar by: [url=http://vyrl.deviantart.com/]vyrl[/url][/i][/size]

Post by Guest »

{OOC} Do wish that I stay in this thread or will a new thread be started for Royal Gaurd?

“NEXT” quickly became a lost echo in the kaleidoscope of sights and sounds Rymm witnessed inside the city of Abu`Sahir. All the trips made up and down the river, Rymm was never permitted to leave the docks. This was a world he has heard about from his father and now in many stories told while growing up. Now, here he is walking in a living story he will tell in his distant future. But for now he will make his way to Guard Barracks.

Rymm followed the bald old mans directions. He stayed the main road. As he entered the merchant area he was pulled on, solicited too and even thought for a moment to purchase a few items. But, the better part of judgement was on his side and he continued on coarse. “There will be time later for such things” thought Rymm. He made his way to the Guard Barracks.

Rymm stood in front of this massive building that he will soon call home. He stood in amazement of The Magistrate was not only proud of the capitol, there was a spot for his “Guard” as well. Rymm reached up grabbed his strap to his pack, let it slide off his shoulder and let it rest beside his feet. He twisted and stretched a little wiggled his finger. “O.K. I am here, no time like the present.” Rymm thought. He lifted his pack, holding it off the ground at knee level and headed for the door.

Reached up grasp the handle and swung the door open and glanced about looking for the officer that would be in charge of recruiting...
Last edited by Guest on Wed May 25, 2005 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

OOC: You can stay in this thread. That will be fine. :D

IC:

The building that Rymm found was longer than it was wide, and definately longer than it was tall. About two stories high, it stretched backwards beyond where the new recruit could see thanks to a high wall that enclosed a courtyard for practicing.

The barracks, made of imported black rock, are a spartan building, with an armory that bears the traditional weapons of the country. Few armors are found here at all, as the army and watch are unaccustomed at wearing them, and would rather not, in such heat.
Visitors and staff alike enter through the gate and main hall, where staff may freely pass, but a sergeant approaches any who are visiting.

"Hello?" A man with a shaved skull walked toward Rymm and gave him an appraising glance from his foot to his newly cut hair. He appeared stern, but over all good hearted and welcoming. "Is there something I can do for you, son?" He asked. Wearing a toga and red sash he appeared like many of the other city guards. That was, excepting for the fact that most of them wore yellow. Red was saved for higher officials. Several badges of honor adorned his sash displaying him as a hero of some sort.

He was carrying a black ledger with a scrawled title in gold on the binding in addition to a sword at his side. It was a wickedly curved blade that seemed as though it would be deadly were it to come in contact with a person's flesh. It was not, as opposed to the numerous other blade weilding, covered with a sheath. This man lived dangerously.

The inside of the barracks was sparse to say the least. Exposed beams of red woods were easily distinguished from the stonework that was most prominent in the main foyer meant to invite the new recruits into the fighting force of the great capitol of Amun Rah. Abu`Sahir, as well as the Rafao, had a large pride based on their military which had only been compromised one time, many yahren before, during the ten yahren war.

Post by Guest »

Rymm watched the ranking officer approach him. He caught every movement of the officer eyes. As Rymm watched he heard echos of his fathers voice in his mind, describing the very details he is witnessing now. He felt as if his father was watching over him. This did not distract Rymm only reaffirmed what he wanted. Short of confidence was never a problem with Rymm.

Rymm droped his pack to the left side of his feet as his father had taught him. He stood with his feet at a 45 degree angle with his heels touching. His legs and back were straight. Rymms’ arms fell along the side of his trouser seems. His hands were coupled with his nails inboard.

Rymm stood straight as an arrow, looked the officer straight in the eyes and said “Greetings, I Rymm Dvorak, I have come to be commissioned into the guard” he paused for a moment. I have skills that have been taught to me by my father who served here before me. I am honorable, hard working, learn fast and I never give up” Rymm took a short breath. He maintained his bearing and waited for the reply.

He knew he would be tested, he knew it would not be easy and he expected nothing less. He knew he was embarking into a complete new way of life and was excited, nervous and ready for this change in life style.
Mental note:

From the water way
At the break of day
Freckled groups of merchants
Waiting for visiting city occupants

A new start for me
Old ways I will see
I'll take an oath of services
...bet rusty will work on this.

As Rymm stood waiting on the reply everthing that was in sight was taken in. The grandure of this barracks building was beyond beleive. Shadows of the courtyard were partice sword and hand tot hand combat was going on. The shadowy sites, the muffled sounds, the smell of this barracks was filling every receivable source of Rymms body. Soon he to would be a guard. There was no doubt in his soon to be military mind he would succeed.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

OOC: Rymm! I am so sorry for how long it has taken me to get back online. But. I am back! Fear not my little guardsman.

IC:

"At ease, son." The guard said as he watched the youth pull himself to attention. He obviously came from a military oriented family. That was a good sign. It was always good to get young men in who were partially trained.

When he began to announce himself and who he was, as well as about his skills the older man smiled. "As a Dvorak I would expect nothing less." He nodded. "You look like your father's son." He nodded and offered his hand to be shaken. "Welcome to the guard of the Rafao." The guardsman had a firm grip, but not painfully so, just enough to make sure one realized they were shaking hands with a powerful man.

"What exactly are your skills? What weapons have you been trained in?" He questioned as he pulled his hand away and motioned for Rymm to follow him. His hand brushed against the young man's shoulder and directed him through the hallway. "We will bring your things to one of the dormitories, and then head out to the yard where I can test your training. Then we will see what sort of further training you are in need of."

He lead Rymm to the right down a short hallway and then to the left down a long hallway. Open doorways showed rooms exactly the same as the next. Each had two sets of bunk-beds in them to preserve space. "Here we are then, room 58." He pointed to an enamelled number sign over the door. "I believe you've got the choice, top or bottom bunk, over there on the right."

Post by Guest »

OOC: I was a little concerend until I read your post. ConGrats on your new place :D

IC:

There was a small sigh of unseen relief from Rymm face. He felt the firm grasp and strength behind the hand shake of the officer. There was an air of confidence in how the officer walked and talked. Rymm sized up the officer and was satisfied with his quick assessment. Rymm thanked the officer for his comments about his family and his resemblance to his father.

He thought for a second to grab his gear and recalled that his gear will be brought to his assigned dorm room. Rymm began to tell the officer “My father has taught me some basic skills in Martial Arts and the use of smaller blades. I have been instructed on the use of a short bow for use in Hunting. I am sure they can be used in military situations as well.” Rymm looked about to keep his bearings. He finished with “As you know my family is in cargo/shipping business and I have skills in sailing also.

As they stood in the hatch well looking into the room Rymm replied to the officer “I will take the top rack “Sir”” Rymm followed with this question; I am wondering, is the training here independent or do you wait until there is a small group of individuals to start the training? I am anxious to get started although my enthusiasm may diminish after a spell, none the less, I am eager and ready to get started with my military training.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

OOC: Thanks! It's an experience, that's for sure.

IC:

The officer listened to Rymm recount his skills. "We have a need in our naval forces, perhaps you would do well in a position such as that." He said. "But, that will depend if you make it through basic training, and whether or not you prove yourself better than the average fighter." Once the rooming had been decided, the older soldier wrote something down in his ledger.

"Dvorak is D-V-O-R-U-K? Or A-K?" He asked as he jotted down the information. After that was settled he closed the book and started walking once again, turning on his heel and heading back the way they had come. "Let us go to the courtyard and see if anyone is out. Today, being a holiday, has left our men with their own time to do as they please. Usually the barraks is brimming with young men bustling about, many have taken the oppertunity to visit their families about the city and prepare for this evening." He said as they walked.

After a few burns they arrived back in the main hall, and Rymm's bag was no where to be seen. "Right this way." He lifted a hand and motioned toward a wide open archway door leading into a walled yard beside the barraks. "Here is the yard." A hot gust of wind swept past their faces and the change from the inside of the building to the outside was almost overwhelming. The barracks were very cool, but outside most definately was not.

High walls, reaching about fifteen feet, made it impossible for random passerby outsiders to see them sparring, and the entire area was stone. The ground had drains built into it, one of which Rymm stepped over as they walked, that way the enclosed area wouldn't pool during the season of rain. A group of men wearing simple yellow togas were watching two others in a match with quarterstaffs. They seemed fairly evenly matched. "Some of your comrades. I'm sure they'd love a show."

He nodded his head toward an area in the courtyard. The whole ground set up separate areas with differently colored stones. Where the officer pointed was a circle of about fifteen feet in diameter made with reddish colored rocks that were smoothed out like river stones. Within the circle, opposing one another, were two smaller circles about three feet in diameter made of white stones. "Stand in one of the circles."

The officer took the other circle, to stand across from him about ten feet away. "The point is to stay in the red circle, and out of the white circle as soon as you've stepped out of it. If you step in a white circle, or out of the red, then you lose. Got it?" He stood with his feet shoulder's width apart, just at the rims of the white circles and with a defensive posture. "Anything goes. Do whatever it takes to get me out of the circle." He stood waiting for Rymm's first move.

Post by Guest »

Rymm scanned the area taking note of the distance to his target and the size and colors of the circle. This is interesting Rymm thought, “I’m the attacker”. My opponent is 10 feet away. It will take me approximately four strides to enter the initial strike zone. My opponent has the advantage of defending his position.

A few moves flashed through Rymms’ mind, he decided on the side-cartwheel leg sweep. His thought was to grab a stone during the cartwheel. This move would allow him to cover more distance in a short amount of time. Once the cartwheel was completed and a stone was in his hand he would use the forward momentum to set up the rounding leg sweep move. His plan was to hurl the rock at his target as he set up for the sweep.

Rymm would hope the rock would knock his opponent off balance and if not, at least distract him while he initiated the leg sweep. He kept his target in view as he covered his moves in his mind. Rymm looked at his target and sprang into motion. His long arms stretched out his hands came into contact with the ground. His right hand clasped a stone. He used that momentum and the strength of his upper body to spring forward, he cover 7 feet during this portion of the movement, putting Rymm within three feet of his target.

He let the rock fly center mass was the aiming his aiming point. He moved to the left staying within the circle. He pivoted on the left leg while squatting and extending the right leg out. The low center of gravity coupled with the forward momentum made Rymm move as quick as any seasoned fighter. Rymms’ rock and sweeping kick move was now in motion…
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

OOC: Nice post!

IC:

The plan was a good one, and had Rymm been a bit better with arobatics, it might've been a bit more effective, but as it was, he fumbled through the cartwheel. Trying to grab a rock while simultaneously doing such a move had decreased his speed, and thusly the officer was more than prepared for the hurtling stone. As it flew toward him he took a simple step aside, if he hadn't, it would've knicked his arm.

With the built up inertia the new cadet as able to swing his leg, this was jumped over. Rather than just leaping directly into the air, which would've left him open for attack upon landing, the seasoned veteran jump/tumbled forward in a somersault, from which he immediately rose from, his foot nearly stradling the exterior line to the right of where he had been standing before.

"Clever, but you are not fast enough for such a bold move. You want the unexpected to catch your prey. I realized what you were doing as soon as your palms hit the ground." He set himself into another defensive position, his hands raised and his feet apart. "Keep me on my toes."

Rymm's interesting first move had attracted attention from the young men who were watching the sparring. The fist fight was halted and the group was moving toward the game circle. They had all played in it before, but it was rare to see a commanding officer take to sparring for no reason, nevermind with a brand new guardsman, one who hadn't even been groomed yet, no less. It was a sight, that was for sure.

"You have your father's intensity," he said and grinned, beckoning the youth forward.

Post by Guest »

OOC: THANK YOU, THIS PROVING TO BE FUN. I AM A HYPER POSTER. BUT, IT IS ALL GOOD. AGAIN THANX.

IC:
The plan was a good one…

"You have your father's intensity," he said and grinned, beckoning the youth forward.

“Well, even the best made plans do not always go as planned.” thought Rymm. He paged through many simpler moves, before he decided on a simple frontal thrust kicked followed by a snap crescent kick. He also noticed the gathering of other recruits and guardsmen. Being aware of your surroundings was something his father had engrained into his head. Still keeping a watchful eye on his opponent he decided on a basic frontal attack. These are not death delivering strikes; however it will incapacitate an individual for a short time.

Rymm picked his path, using the stomp and drag method to close the distance to his target. He picked is right foot up and placed it 20 inches forward dragging his left foot behind. Each time Rymm stomped his right foot, he would let out a yell “ARRRRR” Most would think, WHAT IS GOING ON. It is simple, distraction with the stomping and yelling. By lifting the right foot off the ground, while dragging the trailing foot (Rymms’ left foot) will ensure balance is maintained during the forward advancement.

Rymm closed the gap to his intended target. He was now with in the strike zone. Recalling his last advancement, Rymm understood that his opponent would again have the advantage. He started his engaging move. “Keep it simple, stay with the basics” Rymm said to himself.

Rymm took a deep breath, let out a blood curling yell, followed with the frontal thrust kick. Rymm placed all his weight and balance on his back foot. He twisting at the hips and thrusting his attacking leg to center mass of his target. Not sure what will transpire, however, contact to target is the preferred results. It is very clear the commanding officer (C.O.) is a seasond master in the martial arts as witnessed by the ease of his movements.

Even keeping it simple proved to ba a challenge. The thrust was deflected with a simple outside arm sweep of C.O. Thinking ahead, Rymm recovered and used the snap crescent kick. The crescent kick was a simple snap kick. Either leg could be used in this move. Rymm will use his right leg to snap forward and up, moving right to left across the face/head of his opponent. It all happenned so fast to those observing, but to Rymm he felt that it was all done in slow motion. He watched his right leg move out, up and across….
Last edited by Guest on Sat Jun 25, 2005 12:23 am, edited 6 times in total.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

OOC: A bit of advice: you don't need to repeat what the (N)PC said, you can just respond, I'll sort it out. :wink: Also, to set apart thoughts, like: "Well, even the best made plan.. etc" try using italics. That way there is no confusing the dialogue from mere thoughts. Also, the actions of NPCs are not within your control. You cannot say that the officer deflected the blow. I will leave it for now, just be cautious in the future. Rymm is the only one you can control. :)

IC:

The commanding officer's brow raised a bit as he watched Rymm storm forward. He watched with interest as the young man stomped his way toward him. The other men on the sidelines exchanged quizical glances.

Realizing what Rymm was doing he did indeed block the first kick. His arm stretched outward and deflected it. He took a step to his left to balance out the force of the move. The last thing he wanted to do would be to fall over or loose his footing. It would leave him entirely open for attack, and now with an audience that was completely unacceptable. He did find Rymm to be a strong youth, however.

The crescent kick was harder to avoid. Shifting his weight the trained warrior lifted his left side and took the kick to the shoulder, but then swung his right leg out to pull Rymm's foot out from beneath him. He nailed him right beside the knee and sent the young man to the hard stone ground. "Hyaah." He retorted and then reached his hand down to help him up. Once Rymm was back on his feet the soldier stepped back three feet. "Be prepared for what I might do. Don't leave yourself open." He rolled his shoulder a bit.

"Come at me again. But be prepared for my return." His dark eyes were alive with the fight. He had been stuck doing paperwork behind a desk for far too long. This was new again, and it made him feel young. I am not as quick as I used to be though... He thought to himself as he felt the pain in his shoulder start to settle in.

Post by Guest »

OOC: I should have known better. I am sorry. I will watch for that mistake and not make it again. Thanx for note. Like to stay with in the rules... :D

IC:

Rymms’ pride was more damage than any body parts he may have suffered during the takedown. On his feet once again he listens with intent to the words that were spoken by the officer. He slipped back into the horse stance. Rymm placed his right foot back at a 45 degree angle, holding 85 percent of his weight. Rymms’ left foot was forward with the ball of the foot lightly on the ground.

He raised his left hand in front of the left side of his face for protection. Rymms’ right hand was brought in the defensive position. He took a quick glance to make sure he knew where he was in relation to the colored circles. After the few sparing moves, he ascertained they have moved clockwise around the circle. “Just making a mental check of were I am” thought Rymm.

Sparing was indeed invigorating. This sparing brought back a flash memory of Rymms’ father and himself as a youth, not that Rymm is old by any stretch now.

During that last exchange of moves Rymm felt some mass behind that semi-blocked crescent kick. He was not sure if any harm was done. He did know he had youth on his side. He was trying hard to make a good impression. Rymm decide to use the shin heel scrape in combination with a left jab and a right hand palm to chest move.

Rymm sprang into motion; he lifted his left foot up to the top of the CO forward leg knee high. He turned his foot sideways and drove the side of his foot down to the ground. (The desired effect is to scrape one shin bone from the knee to the foot) With this forward momentum; Rymm used the left jab not necessarily to make contact; however that would be a plus. It was more for balance to imitate the heel of the hand to strike the center of the opponent’s chest and knock them out of the circle.

Rymm felt his breathing increase; the blood was flowing like a raging river through his vanes. His heart began to sound like thundering huffs of a thousand horses, stampeding across harden ground. Rymm wanted to make good impression. His fall back would to step over or use a shin block if the officer used any sort of leg kick. He kept his hands in the defensive position ready for inside outside block or an upper block if a round punch or hammer throw was used.

Believing he had covered his action and his possible retaliation actions that might be used. Rymm with all this in his mind focused on his target. Looked the officer straight in the eyes, found his center and made his move...
Last edited by Guest on Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

OOC: It's ok, we all learn in the beginning.

IC:

Rymm's heel scraped the bone of the commanding officer's leg and he shifted his weight. As the youth's hand charged forward the inertia of the strike brought him forward as well, however, rather than finding contact with his chest, he found nothing but air and soon found himself hurtling forward, outside of the circle, onto the ground. "Dangerous move to put your weight behind something with no way of balancing it out." The man said through a huff of air as he put his hands on his knees and leaned down as he got his breath.

The group that had surrounded them gave a clap and a cheer for the older man. No matter his age he was a trained soldier, and he wasn't going to allow himself to be bested by a newbie. Straightening back up again he looked to the young men, one of which had moved over to Rymm and grasped hold of his forearm to help him up. "Consider yourself lucky, the officers rarely spar with us unless it is to make us feel like mice. That was a tutorial." He smiled. He was a vigorous looking young man with a red to his cheek since he had been sparring just a few burns before. The hinting of freckles danced over his cheeks and his scalp was bare.

"Dvorak, stay here with the boys. They'll show you anything else you need to see." The officer said. He smiled and then turned on his heel, crouched down and picked up his ledger and started back toward the cooler indoors.

"So, Dvorak, eh?" The one who had helped him up asked. "Name's Ja`Kama Sudir." He lifted his hand to be shaken in greeting. "Pleasure, you've got some good moves, a bit rough around the edges, and easy to spot, but you've definately got a talent. You should do well here. Do you plan to specialize in hand-to-hand combat? What unit would you like to get into - the army or the city guard?" He was full of questions and spit them out at an extraordinary rate.

Post by Guest »

IC:
All sparing teams had gathered around the two men sparing. Electricity filled the gallery of troops that had gathered. You could even say sparks were jumping off the noses of the on lookers. The right on cue of hues and awes as the very seasoned and talented officer showed his masterful moves defending off the young mans attack strikes.

As one would guess, brains and professional training won over youthful engagements of attacks. The match was lost by exiting the circle by the young Rymm. His exit was not in the style he had hope for. His pride took a fall and he was sure this may not be the last time during his upcoming training. He shook it off and looked up at the out reached hand.

Rymm reached up and took a firm strong grasp of Ja’Kama Sudir’ out reached forearm. He was yanked up to his feet. Rymms grasp changed from the forearm hold to give a very sturdy hand shake to Ja`Kama Sudir followed with a “thanks for the aide up. I am Rymm Dvorak “. A pause followed, as a few heavy breathes were taken by Rymm as he tried to recall each of the rapid fired question from Ja’ Kama’.

Rymm began once again with “Well, I plan on the army as I do not want to stay in the city. I would like to study hand-to-hand combat although I like to keep my options open”. Rymm paused yet again to finishing catching his breath from the sparing event that had just come to a halt. His pride was injured however, he would survive. Rymm thought to himself, I think I have answered everything from Ja`Kama Sudir. I guess I am honored the CO took time to spar with me. I wonder who will be my room mate.

Rymm came back into focus. He looked Ja`Kama Sudir straight in the eyes he said. “As you very well know I am the newbie here. What is next?”
Last edited by Guest on Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

Ja`Kama nodded at Rymm's answers. "Pleasure to meet you then. I'll be going into the army as well, perhaps we will be in the same unit." He gave a quick grin. "I wouldn't mind having someone like you watching my back." It was a compliment that would be rare in a place like this where competition was everything. The men closed their wide circle into a smaller pack and began talking once again. Much of the conversation revolved around the riot of the previous night.

There was talk of the carnage and of the men who were still in infirmary recouperating with the assistance of the healers who were in the barraks full time, just in case. Last night made their staying worthwhile as the city guardsmen came in droves for healing.

A few of the men who stood around had bruises. Ja`Kama had a cut on his upper arm, near the shoulder. It wasn't deep enough to need stiches, but it would still scar. He would have a story to tell his kids, if nothing else.

One which he decided to share with the group. "I was up against this monsterously huge slave, I think he must've been working at the Arena, maybe as a fighter." How much of this was true was going to be difficult to say. "He lunged at me, with a broken piece of pottery. I think he must've grabbed it from a stall just to kill me with." He jumped backwards to re-enact. "So I jumped away, he missed entirely. Then I moved foward and got him with my blade." This too Ja`Kama acted out. "He hit the ground on one knee, but then leapt up and sliced at my arm." The warrior staggered backwards. "So then I pulled my sword back and stabbed it right through him. The last thing he said was a woman's name." He grinned. "No doubt his mother!" The other's laughed.

"Perhaps, Rymm, I can take you on a tour? What have you already seen?"

Post by Guest »

Rymm listen to the story Ja`Kama was telling. He watched the others nod and smile as the story carried forward on the exact details of the night before fight, as told by Ja’ Kama. Rymm’s thought back to his home. He lived far enough out, that the riots were not really known to him or his family. During his trip to the city he was halfway down the river before he began to hear rumors of the riots.

One lesson, Rymm will never forget was never show all you know in fight. "Use your tongue and brain, before blade and blood". He was not sure how that lesson panned out during the ring match. Rymm was sure that he had gained some respect from the others that had witnessed bout. Rymm very carefully consider Ja’ Kama statement of taking him on a tour of the city. The last thing Rymm wanted was to be injured in an after-hour brawl.

However, it appeared that Rymm had just made a friend in Ja ‘Kama. Having a friend in a strange place may not be such a bad thing. Rymm spoke up. “Well I have not really seen much of the city. I came straight from the docks to the barracks. I would like to take a look around the city with someone who knows were to go.” Rymm finished with a slight grin and watched the expression of the others in the group that had formed.

Rymm was actually a little excited about seeing the city. “Is there anything we have to do now? Or is there more training before we go? Do we check out with anyone? Rymm fired his own battery of question, before he realized that very fact.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

Ja`Kama was glad that it seemed that Rymm liked his story. He enjoyed telling tales, especially when he was the star of them, though he had plenty of heraldic stories that involved great figures of the city like the Rafao or the mob-boss Tedrin. He was good for that sort of thing, and the boys expected it of him, though they were never sure exactly how much was true. Everything he said was taken with a grain of salt. Ja`Kama didn't care though, as long as he got his laugh or gasp or tear.

"If you want someone to take you on a tour," one of the other trainees said, "Then Ja`Kama is your man. Make sure to take him to the back roads, too, not just the main points of interest." The soldier winked at Ja`Kama and he grinned. The others laughed a bit as well. "There is a lot to see here in Abu`Sahir." He looked around at his comrades. "C'mon guys, let's get back to our sparring. I have an ass to kick, Sadir!" He punched one of the fellows in the shoulder playfully and then the pack was off.

"Nothing we need to do, no." Ja`Kama replied to Rymm's questions. "On a normal day we would have a lot to do, but in this case: No. Today is a holiday set up by the Rafao because of the execution tonight, so we basically have free reign to do as we please. Tomorrow classes begin again. We have both academic and training classes here, unlike many other barraks. We are taught how to be good warriors, and apt pupils are sometimes taken from our ranks to study battle magick, some have even gone to the Citadel to the great University of Magick there."

"But as for now, let's go take a tour, eh?" He smiled. "Do you have any other questions before we leave? I could show you around here first, before we leave the grounds."

Post by Guest »

ooc: pc went down at home doing my post from work... is that bad? hahaaha.
ic:
“Well, now that you mentioned it, I would like to know were everything is located here at the barracks. A quick tour of this place would be great. I do know where my barracks room is located and obviously were the sparing circles are. But what happens in the morning? Where do we muster?” Rymm once again, rifled off his questions and concerns.

Thinking of the story that had been told by Ja`Kama. Rymm wonder if he might just become a part of one of his next story. His father would say “Rymm your new found friend is a ‘Word Bender”. Rymm thought a ‘story bender’ may be better fitting. Then
Rymm realized, stories were about to be made that he could tell and put into rhyme. The thought of new adventures, even if they were just in one nights span was marvelous and exciting.

Rymm looked about to get new bearings and readjust himself. He was in full control of his breathing now and his adrenalin had subsided. That was a lot of fun he thought to himself. He could not wait to further his training in the sparing circles and sharpen his hand-to-hand combat skills. He would enjoy this short holiday night off.

Speaking of holidays, it was unusual to hear that a execution would be considered a joyous occasion. The Dovark family traveled up and down the river hauling cargo from river city to river city. News of the riots were far and few between and the notation of an execution was a little scary. Rymm had a lot to learn about his country. There was no time like the present to begin his education. He planned to pick the brain of Ja ‘Kama and the others. Rymm stated” lets get started on this tour of my new home and lets get started on the city tour”.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

OOC: I used to post from school. ;) Oh, and sorry this took so long, I wrote it last night, but then my computer ATE it with vengence.

IC:

"Everything? You ask for a lot in one tour." Ja`Kama joked, but he was already walking, apparently thinking of the next place that he could take the new recruit. "In the morning, the bell in the center of Abu`Sahir rings, and right after that, there is a horn just in case we sleep through the bell. Then, if you notice your bunk mate is still out of it, it's a friendly notion to give him a quick kick, just to get his arse out of bed. Tardiness is not acceptable."

The young man moved with a quick steady pace, trained, with even paces. He was casual about it, but it was obvious he knew how to walk with the least effort and still move readily. "Our first stop will be the mess hall, since that will be your first stop in the morning. There is a meal prepared every day for us. All you have to do is grab a bowl and move to the line. It'll be simple enough to find." Ja`Kama lead them inside the building where a cold gust of air pulled at Rymm's slightly damp skin thanks to the exercise.

"Right this way." He motioned the newbie forward through the main hall and then into wide archway and a room that was bigger down than across. It stretched forward with tables lined with benches on either side. It could, indeed, seat an army. "Breakfast, lunch and dinner are all served here. And, honestly, the food isn't the best tasting, but, it's better than nothing, right?"

He stepped right back out of the room. "Following that, it's off to morning prayer. Basically, a chance to relax after you've just eatten rather than shoving us right into our studies or training. Here, this way." He walked down the main hall to a door overwhich hung a sun, within which was a crescent moon with a star. Ja`Kama glanced up at it, but continued onward. Inside the door was a temple that could fit as many men as fit in the cafeteria, except this space was a bit smaller thanks to there only being pews rather than tables. "Not as amazing as the Simbahan, but.. it still has that somber and holy feel to it." It was a simple temple, with an alter at the front and stone and shell mosaics of Uphuron and Anasis.

"So, then after that, we usually go do physical training, but you've already seen the yard, so we don't need to mess with that. Do you know what classes you'll be taking, yet?"

Post by Guest »

OOC: While Rymm is in the city, I would like to use that format to describe how Rymm received his advancemebt in martial arts and blades via Birthday stars. (If that is correct and allowed).

IC:
Rymm followed Ja’Kama as steady as he walked taking mental notes of the locations he would need to know. The Mess Hall was certainly one you would want to know about. The mustering point for morning formation was very vital as well. Being late was one thing Rymm never want to be. Timeliness was stressed by his family. Make deliveries on time insured repeat business.

Rymm was thankful for the run down on the barracks building and was ready for the city tour. “Well that was certainly quick, but no complaints from me. I am guessing we are ready to venture into the city. As for what classes I have, I’m not sure. I would think martial arts. I am leaning towards navy. Navigation and sailing I have done with my family. So I would guess something along the line of naval service would be best suited for me. However, I do understand the needs of the guard come first”.

Rymm was beginning to feel the day wear on him, there was the trip down the river and the long wait to get into the city. Once inside the city, there was the fending off the aggressive merchants and locating the guard barracks. Once at the barracks he was matched up for a bout in the sparing circles. Now, it would be finished with a tour of the city. Rymm began to think, his barracks room with the bunk racks was sounding good right about now. But the excitement of the city gave him that extra boost and shook off the thought of rest.

Rymm could rest another time. He wanted to take in everything he could. He did not know when he would get a chance to do this again. So with a deep breathe an exhale and a clap of his hands. Rymm was ready to go.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

OOC: You don't play out how you got your birthday stars, if you did, then you would also get regular skill advances for it. You could just assume he did some practicing at some point when you aren't actually RPing him.

IC:

"Well, if you are a good sailor then it's likely that's where they will put you. I sailed a lot too, so I'm in the same boat." He paused. "Pun intended." The young man gave a wide grin. "My father used to take his products to other isles. It would takes weeks at a time, sometimes months if he was going to the other end of the Empire." Ja`Kama continued walking and lead them out of the impressive building and into the oppressive heat.

"I went a few times with him. The first time without him knowing." He winked. "Snuck aboard. He was quite angry, not angry enough to turn back around though. Couldn't afford to lose the day because the winds had been so good out of the harbour we had gained a lot of time. It would've taken longer to get back to the island than it took to leave. Sort of perfect trip for me to pick being a stow-away on."

Outside he looked left and then right up and down the Foreigner's Court which Rymm had travelled earlier when finding his way to the Guard Barracks. "Well, I assume you came from the gates then.." He looked down toward the imposing figure of the gates cutting through the image of the blue sky. "There's not much between here and the gates, except for Anurith's Golden Ram..." He took a step forward, but then reconsidered. "Probably not the best place to take you first on the tour, though. Otherwise we'll never get out of there. Do know it's a guard's best friend. Yabal, the owner, is providing a great service to the city."

He took a step to the right. "I guess we'll head this way, then." He started walking at a gentle pace. No need to rush, it was just a leisurely tour afterall. "Down this road, on the right here, that leads to the Bad Omen. Not the sort of place you want to be, but you need to know where it is. Never know when it might help to find someone working on the other side of the law. As a city guardsman, songbirds of the underground are great for finding out what's going on in the city, maybe help save some lives. Would've been nice if someone had heard of what happened last night before." He shook his head.

"Let's see, up ahead we've got the Amunic Simbahan -- Or High Temple to the foreigners." It was a huge building, made of imported marble veined with red. It shone brightly in the sun reflecting off every surface. A long stairway wound upwards to a level where there were two huge arches. Each of which depicted their god or goddess. On the left was Uphuron, his face created out of mosaic tiles and still harbouring an impossibly alive and stern gaze. On the right was Anasis, her visage serene and welcoming.

The entire area around it was packed and the stairs were clouded with people. "Many of the slaves came here for healing, many didn't survive." Women stood crying holding their children close to their chests. They were praying for things that were unlikely to happen. Whispers of their wishes carried on the wind asking for help, pleading for saving. "There are still a lot inside..." He sighed and watched as one of the acolytes appeared, and brought with her a lost looking young woman. "New recruit. The acolyte is Nu. She's great. Maybe when things have calmed down, we can visit." He gave a wash expression that was difficult to read. "Let's get going."

He moved onward without another word and started further down foreigners court. It was a few burns before he spotted something else to speak of, either that, or he just didn't want to speak of anything. "This corner, here at the bend, is where the Riot started." The golden sandstone cobbles were stained red in patches, pooled inbetween the stones but luckily dried. "The Rafao came down and stopped the whole thing. He's a powerful man." He nodded. "Up ahead is the Golden Square. It's where the Rafao usually does his speeches to the people."

They approached a place surrounded by solid golden statues of Amun Rah's Ancestors of the Realm, thus earning it it's name. Round, wide, and easily able to accomodate a thousand people, it lies before the Sacred Path, which leads up to the Desert King's palace. It is here that the king summons the thousand most fortunate citizens of the great city when he has a public announcement, and it is here that the free people of Amun Rah may come between the fifth and sixth hours each day, to speak to their leader and archpriest, and to be present as the Rites of Passing are performed to mark the fifth and sixth hours of the day.

Outside of those hours, the square is usually deserted, with only a few royal guards to prevent people from walking on the Sacred Path. This was the case of right now as well. Ja`Kama stared around. "Now there's a job." He said, lifting his jaw and pointing it toward one of the royal guards. "Only the best of the best... I'd settle for naval duties, but I'd love to just see inside the palace once."

Post by Guest »

A small grin creased Rymms’ face at the levity of Ja ‘Kama remark. Sailing was always a pleasure as it would take Rymm away from the farming aspect of his life. If he had to choose, Sailing would be is first choice over farming any day. Rymm recalled on of his first experiences of sailing. His father was giving Rymm instruction on tacking jibing and coming about. Rymm stated I recall my first lesson on what a “coming about “Intel led.

“My father and I were on a starboard tack, my father yelled “coming about” I stood up. I do not know why, but it would be the last time I made that mistake. That moment became a lesson well learned. The boom came across the boat from starboard to port and struck me right in the middle of my chest. Knocked the wind out of me and launched me right over the side of the boat and I hit the water. My father was laughing as if thunder had rolled across the river and stood still in time for us to hear. I was flailing in the water try to catch his breath.

My father reached down grasp my hand and gave me a heave up and back into the boat. He was still chuckling as I regained my breath. ‘Ah! The boom good name you think’.” Rymm was smiling as he revealed the story to Ja’ Kama. “I am sure we could recall many stories of our learning to sailing adventures. You know we may very well get stationed together on the same vessel. That would be nice.”

Rymm was making mental notes of the location of things that was being pointed out. He was not sure if he wanted to see the inside of the Rafao Palace. For some strange reason it gave him a small chill. Serving in the guard was one thing actually meeting or visiting the royal family domicile was quit another. Rymm imagined he would pass on the invitation if ever it reared its head.

He was very interested in the Bad Omen he would have to make it down that way. There may be someone there who knows my father or something that might help in locating him. He was not sure why, but there was tug on the mind, (he might, ought to check it out) when time would permit.

Rymm said “Thanks for taking time to show me around the city. It is good to know were things are. You know, I may not always have your company. Is there any other stops? I do recall something about a hanging or execution. Will we be staying for that before heading back to the barracks?

Return to “Amun Rah Archive”