The Bardic College ~ Samheen 20th, Tradetide

Moderator: Mods

The Bardic College ~ Samheen 20th, Tradetide

Post by Guest »

<p>Valmont spirits began to lift as he walked along the streets of the Citadel. New sights, new smells, and a new home. And while this new 'home' forced him to wear a collar of sorts, it was only temporary and then he'd be on his own again. Free to sample all the delights of the Isle, including those 'of Noble of blood'.

<p>With the silvered rapier swinging confidently upon his hip and his beloved lute in hand, since his back was still rather raw, Valmont made his way toward the School of Bards. He was not sure what he would find there, but since his current position would more than likely keep him rather busy, there was nothing wrong with furthering his skills in music while he had spare time.

On the same square as the Red Rose Guild and the Temple of Pan, The Bardic College stood, as it had for many yaren. A small doorway off the street led into a brightly lit antechamber dominated by a dark wooden desk. Behind the desk several doors opened into other parts of the college. The air of the chamber was scented with the fragrance of lavender, and something a bit sweeter, a light citrus smell of sorts. The walls were hung with a variety of tapestries, most depicting bards in various poses, but some showed battles of the past and other glorious events. The sound of the feet of those entering was muffled by the deep pile of the rug throw over the cold flagstone floor.

Sitting behind the desk was small birdlike young man, busily scribbling in a ledger opened before him. Behind the desk the young man looked up from his scratchings, a look of mild surprise on his face. It seemed that he was not expecting visitors, or perhaps he had just been so engrossed in his work that he had forgotten where he was.

"Welcome to the Bardic College of the Citadel. How may I help you?" he asked, but then added quickly, "There are no concerts today."

<p>Smiling, Valmont merely replied, "Of course not. I have just arrived." Whether the man understood the youth's humor or not, Valmont continued. "Tell me, sir. What does the college offer? I have a little skill with musical composition and with the lute, but would like to further my studies. How does one go about this?"

Post by Guest »

If the man did get the humour, he did nothing to show it, instead keeping his birdlike and a bit social self-conscious expression even and his voice low. The man did indeed seem quite the bird, head bobbing as he listened and eyes maintaining their widened preoccupation.

"Well, this college offers a variety of lessons. We have group lesson, although none at present are scheduled, or individual tutoring in a range of skills... of course many instrumental talents, vocal, though I imagine that was quite obvious. Performance is of course a primary focus here at the College, and we tend to focus on the practical more highly than theory... for what good is a theory if one cannot excercise it?" He spoke in the clipped manner that indicated this was a practiced and pre-scripted speech offered to any student who walked into the door.

"If you know what sort of lessons you desire, a tutor can be arranged for a very reasonable price, I am sure. But the most important aspect is in the decision of what sort of classes you wish to take. Vocal, compositional, instrumental, mechanical... there are many areas to explore. What is it that you wish to gain from your education here at the College?" From the way the fellow spoke, it was readily apparent that he was speaking of 'the College' as a proper noun-- as if the use of the term college rather implied this particular establishment before any other.

Post by Guest »

<p>Valmont's eyebrow was raised as he listen to the man work through his speech, and when he finally finished, the youth set the lute upon the desk. "I have a working knowledge of the lute, but I would like to increase my skill with it. Perhaps a few more songs, more knowledge of the chords, techniques...you understand. Is there someone whom I can study with today?"
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

"The lute, is it?" responded the man-bird, as he took in the sight of the instrument with critical, searching eyes. Undoubtedly he had seen many betters, but the functionary had seen perhaps countless worse as well. "May I?" he asked, reaching out to take up the warmly polished lute into his narrow, boney hands.

(Unless Valmont halts him either politely or violently ;))

"Ah, yes...this feels good. I suspect you've carried it for some time, yes?" he asked, though his attention was focused upon the instrument itself that he, surprisingly enough, tucked into his hands with practiced ease. He started picking through chords and strings, gently but seemingly at random, listening closely for each note. In yet another surprise, he actually adjusted the instrument before Valmont's eyes, correcting one of the strings to strike its tune more perfectly. "Ah, there we are. I thought I detected a flat string..."

And with that, he began to play, the lute propped upon his thigh and his hands rolling over it's neck with the quiet certainty of a well-practiced musician. He was no great master, but his notes were clear and crisp, and the lively tune that rolled out form Valmont's instrument filled the room as he spoke.

"I'm afraid that won't be possible tonight, sir. Why, at this time of day, most have gone home or retired to each other for the evening," he offered, a note of sympathy in his eyes. "But we've a few exceptional lute instructors, most of which will happily take on new students. You can make arrangements with them as you wish, though you'll need to meet them at some time when they're here...usually during morningtide and tradetide, with a break for lunch..." the man paused in his playing, giving Valmont an amused look. "...and musician often takes a very long lunch."

He started into his tune once more, his features mellowing into something perhaps more human and less bird as he relaxed. "That's my suggestion. Come back tomorrow when they're here. They'll speak to you about rates, too, though I suspect they'll charge a lance per lesson. Or less, if you arrange some other bargain."

Post by Guest »

<p>Waiting for the man to stop playing, Valmont smiled. "Tomorrow it is, then. I will try to make it during the timeframe you mentioned, unless my duties keep me longer into the day." Politely asking for his lute, the youth gave a nod of respect and turned to leave.

<p>Stopping before he reached the door, Valmont turned and looked back over his shoulder. "And who would you say was the better of the instructors? Who is the most passionate in their playing?" Thanking the bird-man once more, he walked out the doors.
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

"The most passionate? Why, that's the finest question of them all, for what do we do without passion? Yes, I think you belong here, sir, and I should be pleased were you to leave me your name that I might pass it on to the instructors for tomorrow. The most passionate among them? Well, they'll fight amongst each other to claim that title, so you might have to choose for yourself. I believe it might be Markham, but Moira Takanis can't be far behind, given her...condition," replied the evening man. "When you return, ask for either, and you won't be disappointed."

Post by Guest »

<p>"Name? Why my good man, what is in a name?" Allowing the traces of a smile to crease his perfect features, the youth spoke. "Valmont. Valmont de Cross. And you may tell the lady Moira...I will be here to tomorrow to talk of lessons."

<p>Giving the bird-man a quick wink, Valmont continued. "I tend to learn more from women. It's a flaw, I know. But one that I've learned to accept."

<p>Thanking him once again, Valmont turned and left the room.
Maeve
The Dragon & Game Designer

Post by Maeve »

Skilled!
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]

Return to “The Citadel proper Archive”