Tour de Citadel - SH 21 - Morningtide

Moderator: Mods

Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Tour de Citadel - SH 21 - Morningtide

Post by Ulder »

The entrance to the establishment was directly on the street through a set of tall and wide doors, large enough to take the biggest carriage in the citadel.
Cut into one of the the doors, for when they were closed, was a smaller door, just for people.

Inside could be seen an office on the right, and notices on the wall on the left, listing details of the stables including the tariff, horse and carriage rentals, stabling and carriage store details. Above all of these was a large notice welcome visitors to the premises of Master Farrier Kermalan kersan.

On the door of the office is a notice saying 'Enquiries' in various languages, and inside at the desk sits a young elf woman.

The Entrance hall, past the office, leads to a large open courtyard. Along each side of the courtyard were about 20 stables, most of which had horses in, of almost every breed around, including a couple of donkeys.

At the far end was the carriage storage, only 4 carriages were there at this time. two smaller open ones and two larger enclosed ones.
To one side of those was an open archway through which could be glimpsed a large open field for the horses to be excercised in.

Bustling around the areas were stableboys and girls, mucking out this and that stable, or walking horses in and out of the field.
In the middle of it all, watching everything going on, and giving out various orders was a tall Elf. This elf was old, it was not just the grey hair, he looked old, even for an elf. The only thing that was young about him was his eyes, bright blue and sharp, showing an intelligence behind them complementing his obvious age.
Anyone entering would need to see this man first.

With only a short time before the 10th mark of Morningtide, Ulder entered the Horse's Hooves. He was dressed, as nearly always, in uniform, and freshly shaven and washed. His magnificent Horseman's Sabre was at his belt, and his polished steel breastplate adorned his upper body, while his gloves were tucked neatly into his belt. There was a certain type of excitement that this tour with Ashari and Iorn offered, and one that the tall Captain relished, it was the anticipation of a day spent in the saddle.

He'd brought enough provisions to provide some light snacks in his pack, fully intending to transfer them to whatever saddlebags that the Horse's Hooves provided.

With a practiced eye, he took a few moments to study the horses and stables within. All seemed to be in good condition, which served as a testament to the skills and care under Master Farrier Kermalan Kersan, whom he assumed was the tall gentleman overseeing the place.

"Good morningtide to you sir. I am Captain Ulder Synkaaros. I would like to inquire about renting some horses for the day please."
Last edited by Ulder on Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[url=https://tazlure.nl/board/viewforum.php?f=404]Ulder's Compendium[/url]

[size=67]Avatar by permission of Amok. http://en.amokanet.ru/[/size]
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

"Fair Tide, Captain," responded the ostler master...if indeed that was his official title...as he presented the Captain with a fluid, formal bow that had seen considerable practice. "I am the man to see, sirrah, and horses I have. When will your...associates arrive? And how many of them might I expect? We must assemble a fine team indeed for such an honored guest."

The old adhiel seemed quite accustomed to all manner and class of people, so his greetings and his gushing, sanguine attitude might have been well practiced. Regardless of this, he did seem quite sincere, motioning Ulder forward towards one of the stabling promenades, his walk a curious mix of short, swift steps that gave him to appear as if he were gliding upon the ground.

"I admit, I should have believed the Guard would have their own stablings...but then, such animals they might keep may not suit more...leisurely company," continued the tradesman. He turned a speculative, mirthful eye at the Purple Guard, a slight smile tugging at his lips. "Perhaps I might assume that you await only one guest, and that she might require something more...cooperative and graceful than a rugged warhorse, hmm?"
Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

Ulder sketched a quick bow in return and fell into step behind the Ostler and matched his normal pace of long strides to the other's man's shorter ones.

"Thank you sir. I appreciate your hospitality and attention very much. My associates shall be arriving shortly and there will be either one or two, depending on schedules and availability."

Ulder examined the horses as they walked the promenade, trying hard to ignore the man's innuendo about his company. He smiled warmly despite not really wanting to and failing in his efforts to hide his reaction to the other's mirth.

"You are indeed correct sir. My companions are joining me for a riding tour of the city. The warhorses of the Guard would be bored and restless for such social and unofficial use. I see you have a fine stable here sir. My compliments."

Ulder felt so comfortable and was filled with a such a sense of anticipation, that he found himself giving the man details about his past that he was sure the Ahdiel could care less about.

"I was a stableboy when I was younger, and I see that you are keeping your charges in separate stalls. That's very good indeed. Makes them feel important and special. Back at the Laughing Kings, we sometimes had to double or treble them up to make room. I..."

He cut himself off, aware now that he was babbling on..."

"...I appreciate your fine care and treatment of them very much. It does my heart good to see such devotion to them."

He took a deep breath, and thought about what kind of mounts they might need.

"I must confess I am unsure about the riding ability of my companions. Perhaps we best start with ones that are gentle, good natured and patient."

Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

"Ah, gentle, good natured beasts, is it?" repeated the older adhiel. Glancing over at Ulder, he smiled an amused grin. "A gelding," he said, as much a joke as anything else. Motioning to one side, the stable master lead his client down the line of stalls to find the next gelding he had. As he did, he indulged in a little chatter himself, a clear result of Ulder's talkative demeanor.

"Given that we live upon an island, there isn't much call for great riding here...even among the aristocracy. I get clients with similar concerns quite routinely, Captain. I keep a fine stock of quite sanguine, gentle beasts, incapable of the temperamental, spirited energy of a warhorse but wholly appropriate for the unskilled locals," he said, motioning towards a series of stalls. He opened one and beckoned out the animal within...a tall roan with a pleasant though perfectly absent look about it...to the round just outside the stable. "Here's one such animal here, perhaps the finest looking gelding I have, and ready for a little trot. Let us find another one..."

He passed the reigns to one of the many stable boys, wishing him to walk the animal about to work him up for the ride. "It isn't that the locals dislike riding, per se, but they don't need it as your people do...the people of King's Court. Why, I've heard one might ride for an entire monat and still not run out of land before him! That must be magnificent, as I'm sure the mountains are. Can you believe, in my long, long life, I've never actually seen a mountain?"

Finding another gelding...this one a smaller, white animal with bright, blue eyes and a long, healthy mane...the ostler brought it out and sent it to join the first. "And how about you, Captain? A proper stallion in case you need...a little more cantor in your steed? Or should you wish to saddle a gelding as well?"
Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

Ulder smiled at the man's humor. He understood that the Adhiel knew exactly what was happening and had a very good grasp on the situation.

"Yes, a couple of geldings is exactly what we need, perhaps palfreys with a gentle gait for ease on the hills. That roan is an excellent choice. Thank you."

The Captain listened carefully as the Ostler spoke of the riding habits of the city folk. He found it very curious indeed and it gave him an idea that he wanted to develop, but he wanted to comment on the Ostler's comment about the west first.

"Indeed sir! I miss the mountains very much. I love the island and it's people a great deal, but the west will always be dear to me and near to my heart. I'm sorry you have never seen a mountain, perhaps one day you will."

He was going to elaborate more, but then the Adhiel's question of his own mount brought a smile to his face.

"Yes sir, a stallion with some spirit is fine with me. I like the mounts who aren't afraid to feel a little rowel put to their flanks and want to challenge the direction I want to go in. Some spirit and some fire are the ones I like. Horses are simply too magnificent to have all their personality and character driven from them."

Ulder continued to smile warmly and gave the Ostler a friendly pat on the shoulder. Kindred spirits were a rare find, and Ulder felt very fortunate to have met this man today. It was impossible not to tell the man so, and when he did, he combined such sentiment with his earlier idea.

"My friend, I'm very glad I met you today. It is unusual to meet someone that shares my love of horses, and I feel very fortunate that I came here today."

"You've given me an idea, and one that I think might be mutually beneficial, so I'd like to share it with you and hear your thoughts. Upon hearing the riding habits of the cityfolk, it occurs to me that the Guard could use a mounted unit to react quickly to events in the city."

"With the right men and women on the right horses, we could make the city feel our presence in ways unimagined before. I would need a good breeder, and someone who knows horses and this terrain like the back of his hand. I think that person is you. You could help me breed a whole new stable of horses for use by the Purple Guard and perhaps gain the business of the Caesar in doing so. What say you? Can we think upon this and strike a deal?"

Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

"Ah, so, a stallion for the Captain," nodded the ostler. "I've no doubt yours will be the fastest and finest of the troika, though spirited animals can be something of a burden to those ill-equipped to manage them." The adhiel returned to the forward pens and selected an animal...a chestnut with long, powerful hind quarters and an acute, sharp, almost malevolent look in it's eye. "This one might have been a warhorse had he more strength in him. A quick animal, I've collected a fair sum with breeding him alone. He'll give you a fine trot, and if you choose to get a little run out of him, he will be more than happy, I think."

The ostler needed only cluck at the last animal to summon it. The stallion attend to the stable master, his ears twitching in his direction as he crept out of his stable and lept into the round, his large, neatly-shod hooves thundering upon the ground. The two geldings, already being walked around the courtyard to warm them, faltered and cowered before the stallion, clearly intimidated by that animal's sudden presence. Leaning out from the pen promenade, the ostler barked his orders to his hands. "Saddle them all and prepare them!" he said, orders that seemed unnecessary as his hands seemed to have matters well in hand.

"Well now," returned the master horseman to his guest, apparently confident that the preparations were well in hand. "I'm afraid your offer comes perhaps a hundred yahren too late for me, Captain. I'm quite proud and attached to my operation here, and I could not give it up, especially given that I'll most likely be gone from this world before another decade is past. Still, I should be pleased to advise the Captain on all matters equestrian...he need only sent word to me by letter and I will call upon him at the barracks...but I cannot give up this..." he waved at his stabling with one of his narrow, delicate hands "...for it is my pride and joy, and I should be pleased to die here when the time comes."
Ashari
Moderator & Coordinator Mer Cities

Post by Ashari »

If Ulder thought he was cutting it close, then he hadn't been in the company of nobility for long enough. Ashari knew, after the past few weeks of almost only dealing with their sort, that they were notoriously remiss. It was because of this that the rogue was pleasantly surprised to see the Captain already at the stable making conversation with an older adhiel gentleman. She was surprised and somewhat embarassed for she figured she had another few burns before he'd arrive, and she'd hate to appear late. It had yet to actually turn to the tenth mark, however, so she was safe.

The woman had walked to the stable, she enjoyed the exercise, and it was as much a warming up for her as the horses were getting before the ride. It had been a long time since she had ridden. Back, in her old life, two lives ago, really, back when she was a child, when she was with her parents. Her father had lead her around on his horse. He had been a capable rider, but that was expected of a man of his station. Even that hadn't been real riding, and she was somewhat afraid of making an ass of herself infront of Ulder.

Ashari had grabbed her black cloak before she stepped out the door, to combat the cool morning air, but now she was carrying it, draped over her arm. She was wearing simple black breeches and a black silk bodice she had taken from the dress she bought the day before. It was adorned with pink lace along the squared neckline and a floral embroidered design going down the darting. She wore a white shirt under the bodice with full sleeves. Black leather boots reaching just below her knees rounded out the ensemble. Her hair was pulled back in a simple pony tail with a leather thong to keep it out of her face while riding.

As the magelet made her way through the expansively large door she gave Ulder a bright smile in approach. "Good morning!" She looked at the ostler and greeted him in turn. "Beautiful stables, sir." The girl said warmly as she approached and held her hand out for him to shake. Giving it a firm grasp she wrapped her other lithe hand around it as well to fully enclose his delicate digits. "All the horses look in excellent health." She took in a deep breath of the scent of the hay, allowing it to relax her nerves a bit. Ash decided it was up to Ulder to make the actual introductions as she withdrew her hold on the older adhiel.

"I'm afraid it is just going to be me, I hope you are not terribly disappointed that Lord Thalas will not be joining us." Her grey eyes had turned to the Captain. "He has business to attend to, but he sends his regards. I shall have to take him out one of these days and show him what you show me."
[color=#000000][i]"What of the soul was left, I wonder, when the kissing had to stop?"[/i]
-- Robert Browning. [/color][size=75][i]Avatar by: [url=http://vyrl.deviantart.com/]vyrl[/url][/i][/size]
Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

Ulder looked on at the stallion with an appreciative and admiring eye. Something in this horse reminded him of his uncle's. That mount was a fiery, spirited animal that rarely took no for an answer, but was simply one of the finest beasts he'd ever encountered. He nodded in great anticipation of stepping up to the saddle and the challenge of riding him.

As to the Ostler's answer, Ulder was clearly disappointed. At first there was a moment of uncomfortable silence as he processed the negative reply. But it was a moment that quickly passed as Ulder himself would be loathe to leave a business such as the Ostler's. It was a fine establishment and in a way that was very close to him, he completely understood. He summoned a grateful smile and responded.

"I was not suggesting you give up your operation but rather add to it. However, I can say with certainty that I completely understand and I thank you for your honesty and courtesy. I will endeavor to find additional help with my plan elsewhere, but I hope that I may still rely on you with information and advice from time to time."

It was at that moment when he turned to see his guest approach. She was surprisingly alone, which he had not anticipated. He appreciated that she had dressed appropriately, and he could not help himself as he looked upon her with a much different kind of appreciation. He returned her warm smile and introduced her to the Ostler.

"Welcome, welcome. So good of you to come. Lady Ashari Gywien, please meet Master Farrier Kermalan Kersan, the owner and Proprietor of this fine establishment."

"We were just discussing your mount. We did not speak of your riding experience before, so I hope you will not be offended that we've selected a gelding with a gentle gait for you to ride. Even if you've ridden extensively before, I'm sure this mount will be a gentle pleasure this morning."

Ulder smiled and waved off her apology and remarks about him being disappointed. It simply wasn't true and he stated such.

"No, no. I am only slightly disappointed. Although I would have liked to have met the Lord Thalas, I think you will still be able to enjoy these sites with him. In fact, we may be able to cover more ground and be a bit lighter as we travel so we might see more. I hope you will return his regards on my behalf."

He turned to watch the horses being readied for their ride. He gave Ashari a running commentary on the process to better familiarize her with what they were doing. As soon as the horses were saddled and bridled, he spoke up to the Ostler.

"Now then, with the Master's permission... Please introduce us to the horses and we will get started."

It went back to his background as a groom as a youth, but Ulder had always been appreciative and a stickler for courtesy and familiarity with horses. They were very social creatures, and he wanted them to be comfortable as well. It was in everyone's best interest for this to go well, and he assumed that the Ostler would understand and comply.

Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

The aged adhiel bowed with the same florid, practiced grace Ulder had seen earlier, though this time his bow was directed at the newcomer. "A great pleasure it is, Lady Gywien! And you must give no regard to the good Captain's silly talk of his disappointment regarding your missing friend. I can't imagine why any gentleman would be anything less than overawed to have earned any measure of your radiant presence...all alone," he offered, managing to combine the effects of a greeting, an honorum, a flattering compliment, and even a licentious remark all in one, a truly masterful delivery that, with a sidelong, mirthful, hidden glance at Ulder, dared the soldier to challenge any part of it.

"Allow me to give over your animals for today, and then I shall leave you both alone," he continued, quickly waving away the roan in difference to Ashari's height. The horses were tacked in bright trappings of good repair, with oiled and fresh leather and bright, shining studs and rings. "The stud is Miginath, a charger from warmer regions. He tends to tire over longer runs, but as you might guess form his stance, he can leap better than any other animal I've seen. The gelding here is Kiker, a placid, caring animal without a spiteful bone in his body. Now, if you're ready, I leave you now for your ride! They are fresh shod, so ride with caution along the cobblings of the streets, but have no fear upon turf beyond the city."

Bowing once more, the ostler smiled and backed away, leaving the pair to their animals while he himself took charge of the roan, intent to give it a few idle marks in the exercise yard while he was out.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

"No offense taken whatsoever, Captain, I've never ridden in my life, aside from when I was a child, and I'm not sure how much ponies, goats and a ride or two upon my father's steed count." She smiled. "I'll save the riding upon stallions for the next trip around town, if you don't mind."

Ashari was caught off guard by the gentleman's remark and found herself blushing considerably. Clearing her throat and licking her lips she looked between the adhiel and the ground, not wanting to look at Ulder until she had regained her composure a bit. Thankfully for the mindcrafter, she was tan enough that she just looked a bit flushed at the cheeks. She hoped that could be attributed to the exercise from the walk. "The Lord Thalas is an interesting person, Master Ferrier Kersan, and I'm sure that the Captain and he would get along. He will be missed." She nodded, but she was somewhat glad for having the Purple guardsman all to herself.

The mage was appreciative for the change in subject back to the animals. She didn't know much of anything about the horses, and the term gelding went right over her head, but Ulder was kind enough to offer to her exactly what they were doing with the tack and harness. It made her feel as if she was learning atleast something about the beautiful creatures.

"Kiker?" Ashari hesitantly lifted her hand to pet the velvet of his nose with the back of her fingers. She couldn't help the higher inflection in her tone, it was the habit of talking to babies and animals to do so.

"Thank you very much, Kersan. He seems lovely, and we will be very careful with them." She patted his nose for a moment and couldn't help jumping slightly when he gave a deep outward sigh. "Ha. Pretend you didn't see that." She said to Ulder and grinned innocently. "Now, the last time I mounted a horse, I was hefted up by my father and placed quite neatly upon it's back. You'll forgive me my clumsiness, I hope?"

The mage tossed her cloak up onto the horses behind first, that way it wouldn't hinder her progress. "Oh Kiker.. work with me here." She whispered under her breath as she grasped the reins within her left hand and then reached up to grasp the horn. Once she had a good hold she lifted her left foot, put it in the left stirrup and took a final deep breath. With her right hand on the back of the saddle and in as fluid a movement as she could manage she bounced onto the front of her foot, pulled, and rose to a standing position with her left foot before swinging her right leg over the saddle and lowering. "I need a little more practice, but atleast I didn't fall off."

Looking over to Ulder she transferred the reigns so that they were in both hands, and took up some of the slack. "This is sorta high up here..." She said looking downward.
[color=#000000][i]"What of the soul was left, I wonder, when the kissing had to stop?"[/i]
-- Robert Browning. [/color][size=75][i]Avatar by: [url=http://vyrl.deviantart.com/]vyrl[/url][/i][/size]
Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

Ulder gave the Farrier a long, disapproving look that he hoped would carry a lot of weight, but it was all in jest, and he smiled slyly at the Adhiel's flawless comment towards the Lady. He looked at the ground, trying to hide his smile and shook his head slightly as he knew then he'd been bested.

"Lords and Ladies beware, Master Kersan is as adept with his silver tongue as he is with horses of fine quality! Thank you good sir, not only for your unparalleled mounts, but also for the humbling lesson in complimenting a lady." He quipped.

As Ashari began to mount up on Kiker, he stood at the ready in case of a slip or a fall. He would not want the Lady to return to her Lord with anything broken or injured. They were here to have fun and get acquainted, not to take an emergency trip to any healers. He tried very hard not to stare at her as she rose to the back of the animal, and looked away briefly as he caught himself doing exactly that. He clearly remembered Elaine's attempt at climbing into the saddle and a smile tugged at the corners of his mouth at that memory. She perhaps had not been quite as graceful as Ashari, but she certainly had a bit more courage as she had done so without sight.

Seeing that she was successful in now sitting astride the fine mount, he nodded in satisfaction at her courage and determination. He had not heard her whisper to the horse for assistance in mounting, and in fact, muttered his own internal wish that she be successful. Once so, he gave the animal a gentle pat and moved to ascend the stallion.

He gave Miginath a few short scratches behind one ear and without hesitation or interruption, quickly mounted with practiced ease in a fluid motion that matched Kersan's bow. Ulder was never more in his element than astride a horse and it showed as he eased into the saddle.

He chuckled at her comment about high it seemed.

"Indeed. Perhaps that's why Kings prefer to ride, so they can look down upon others."

"We should begin with a walk, to both warm them up and give them a chance to get used to us. The first place I'd like to go isn't far, and a nice slow and steady walk will get us there just as well."

He led Miginath away from the stable at a slow pace, and tried to get to know the mount's tendencies and wants. He would let the fine steed have his head soon enough, but now was a time for acquaintance and familiarity.

Ashari

Post by Ashari »

Ashari couldn't help a short laugh, albeit somewhat stifled, at Ulder's response to the ferrier's compliments.

"Hehe, perhaps. I know if I were a King, or a Caesar." The mage was trying to get in the habit of using the local terms. "I'd be sure to have th best horse around." Ash shifted her weight a bit to get more comfortable. "Alright." She said with as much confidence as she could manage while atop the large creature. Letting go with her right hand for a flicker she moved her cloak about so that it wouldn't fall off while they walked. "I don't think I'd much like to go any faster than a walk." She replied. "Better safe than sorry." She put both hands on the reigns again and gave a soft squeeze to Kiker's midsection to urge him forward. "So where are we off to then?"

Once he was moving it took Ashari a moment to gain her balance. "Oh.. my.. it's been much too long since I've done this." She giggled a bit and tried to keep her posture correct for riding, but it was more difficult when one was nervous. "I thought it was supposed to come right back to you." She rolled her eyes and clung to the horse.

Ash didn't know enough to look for the horses tendencies, but she did note that without guidance Kiker seemed to prefer going to the right, rather, he drifted unless she urged him to the left. Perhaps it was because Ulder was on the left, and the poor gelding (whatever that meant) feared the bigger, stronger horse. "You look.. comfortable. You ride a lot?" She brushed some hair out of her face and then immediately put her hand back on the reigns with her other.
Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

Ulder kept tight control of the reins. From what the Ostler said, this was a spirited animal that liked to run, but the Captain wanted to be the one that dictated when and where that was going to happen. He could feel the very strong legs and the sense of anticipation from the horse, and smiled at the Miginath's ability and fire. His smiled grew in a wide grin at the Lady's question.

"Ah my Lady, there are those of us born to this world to do certain things and to play certain roles. Mine has always been to ride. I have been involved with horses my entire life, and hope that it will always continue to be so."

He was in a very jovial and lighthearted mood now. This was one of the finest horses he'd ever been on, and he wanted to relish every moment spent here. A sudden clouded thought from his past sprang to mind.

This animal even rivals Darkstar.

He shook his head to clear the dull ache associated with that memory. Nothing was going to stop him from enjoying this day.

Taking note of Ashari's comments, he tried to offer advice to ease her back into riding.

"We're going out to the harbor first, there's a place that resembles the Mer if you look at from the right angle. Try to rest easy with your legs. If you pinch with your knees, they tend to think you are fearful and then they will want control. Before long, you'll have a fight on your hands. It helps to rest your weight in the stirrups."

He continued their slow pace and steady walk out of the inner city and out towards the piers. Settling in, he removed his cloak and tucked it down into one of the saddlebags. Miginath was like a fluid river beneath him. Enjoying the sights and sounds of the city around them, Ulder walked beside Ashari and her mount.

"Lord Thalas will be sorry he missed this day." He said out loud without any true expectation of a reply.

Ashari

Post by Ashari »

Ulder's confident reply gave Ashari pause. She wasn't entirely sure what her purpose was. The magelet couldn't think of a role she had been born to play, especially not with the surity which Ulder displayed. It was definately something to consider. "It's easy to see," she remarked. "You're smiling." Ash paused. "Infact, you've been grinning since I met you in the stable. It suits you."

The thief listened patiently to the Captain's suggestions on improving her riding. At each point he mentioned she had to adjust, because she was doing just what he was telling her not to do. It almost made her laugh at the absurdity of it. "I might've been better off on a pony, then you lead me around like the inept child I am."

Really, Kiker was a smooth ride, and aside from his constant drifting away from Miginath, he never lurched or lunged, which was good for the unseasoned rider. "I most definately don't want to worry about a fight," she said honestly as they continued onward at a slow pace. "Oh, yes, I did want to see the harbor." ...Again. "Again," she added hastily. "I'm sure Iorn is much too busy to even note what he is missing out on." In a way, Ash was somewhat annoyed that he had so quickly jumped into the business at the palace. They could've had a few days of relaxation in their new home and gotten to know the people and the places, like she was doing.

The girl was quiet for a few burns, just listening to the gentle clopping of the hooves on the cobbles from the eight feet. She wasn't sure how to be mindful of the road as the ferrier had requested, since it was Kiker's feet that were doing the stepping, but she was sure to steer him away from the gutter as he meandered, and as far as she figured, that was the most mindful thing she could do for him.

As they approached the pier Ashari took in a deep breath of the sea air. It brought back memories too old to even recognize. "The ocean is so beautiful..." She smiled wistfully while watching the foam on the surface of the waves. "Can you swim?" It was a sort of out of place question, but it sort of just came to her as she stared out at the curved horizon line spreading as far as she could see. "I've always wanted to learn, myself. My brother was supposed to teach me, but he never did.

"So, lead on good Captain, where are we off to that reminds you of our fair Mer de la Luna?" Her grey eyes had picked up the blue from the stretches of ocean and sky, such was the nature of such light colored eyes. Her black clothing hadn't made it so obvious, but now she held the greenish blue within the grey.
Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

Ulder knew that his grin was evident.

"Nothing has ever quite suited me like riding. I've only ever had two gifts in this world that were not hand me downs from my brothers, the ability and the love to ride and swordplay. Both come as natural to me as breathing. Everything else is the struggle."

He looked at her after her 'being lead around' remark for a few flickers before replying. There was the sense of something unsaid there, as if she was saying more than just the spoken words. He struggled with it, unsure if he were reading too much into it, or if he were comfortable with saying anything about to her. Ulder was a practical sort, and tended to be plain and honest.

"Riding is easy. It's like a conversation. Only you're using the reins and your knees to speak. If you think of it that way it may make it a bit easier."

Ulder grew a bit more serious.

"Forgive me for saying so or if I have over stepped my bounds, but I don't consider teaching you to ride or this day a burden or a chore my Lady. You would never seem an inept child to me. If anyone has ever spoken those words to you they are a fool."

They rode in silence until she broke it with her remarks about the sea.

"I must confess. I tend to be more of the sort that feels the pull of the mountains and forest. I never have learned to swim, and I don't think I know anyone who could teach me. My brothers used to navigate down the rivers in a small boat my father made, but the water was only a few feet deep."

He stared out over the water, chewing his bottom lip absent mindedly in thought.

"There is something peaceful about it though."

He lead her around several buildings and down a narrow street that opened up onto the harbor. This was the first spot he was thinking of.

"Now then, if you look this direction, does it not look like the Offing? It would be even more so if the fishing boats were in. See those piers there? They're almost the same length and breadth of the wharves at King's Court."

Ashari

Post by Ashari »

Ash nodded. "Alright, a conversation. I can handle that." She wanted to ask about his brothers, but was hesitant, as those sort of questions often meant a return of the favour, and she was not interested into telling him much about it. Infact, she had barely mentioned her family to Iorn. He was always telling her all that was in the past, and that she didn't need to worry about it at all. Was that true? It is our past that defines us. All of that was too much to think about during a leisurely ride through the city, however, so Ash pushed the thought aside.

It was Ulder who decided to bring a more serious tone, and it made her heart jump a bit, because she wasn't expecting for him to say what he did. She licked her lips quickly, but didn't speak. It was a strangely powerful statement, and compliment that he bestowed on her, and she wasn't quite possitive why she was left speechless, but 'thank you' didn't really seem appropriate. It was inscrutable what one was supposed to say to a compliment other than 'thank you' was lost on the young woman. His dark eyed gaze upon her felt heavy, so instead of speaking she swallowed and pushed her heels into the geldings stomach to spurn it foward until they reached the sea.

"I have to agree with you there. I spent the last few yahren in the woods around King's Court. I don't suppose there is anywhere that reminds you of that?" The side of her lip curled in a semi-smile. "Probably not, the Mer will have to do for now."

Kiker kept pace with Miginath around the buildings to the spot that Ulder wanted to show off. "Captain... that is amazing." Was all she said right away as she looked over the water toward the bluffs. In that moment, staring out, she realized how much she missed it. "You know, it's funny... there are places I'd never want to visit again in King's Court." The first that came to mind was her childhood home. "But just the fact that I can't just go see them, were I to change my mind, it's somewhat heart breaking," she said and then frowned a bit before sighing.

"What you said before -" She broached the subject cautiously, so as to avoid an uncomfortable situation. "It wasn't out of line. I'm just trying to get used to being around people... Sometimes I have a way of speaking that would make one feel obligated to assuage this seeming insecurity, I hope I have not made you feel that way. Occasionally, I forget that others are listening when I speak." Her eyes flicked over to him. Ulder was a multifarious creature, and she was amazed by his just countenance paired with what seemed like someone who really wanted to relax and have a good time. Or, atleast, that's what it seemed like as he was riding.
Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

Ulder smiled again at her jest about finding woods. She had been on the isle long enough to know how impossible that was.

He was pleased to see her reaction. This was a place right out of the west and one of the many places he came when he missed home. The resemblance really was uncanny, and he was glad that she seemed so thrilled by it.

"I'm glad you like it. I most likely left home under much different circumstances than you did. For me, I left under the desire to find myself in the world. It sounds as if you left because of a completely different situation. Perhaps now, knowing this spot, you can see the Mer anytime you wish. Not to mention the spots you've yet to see. Maybe one of the places I show you will be similar to the scenes you might long for."

He left the obvious, resulting questions unsaid. This was a lady he'd only recently met, and would not enjoy a probe into an obviously painful subject.

A person is always allowed to have secrets and things unsaid. He thought. No sense making someone uncomfortable.

Then he could only react to what she said next with earnestness and honesty.

"I do not feel that way. Our thoughts and opinions are always our property, and anytime we share them is a gift to the others that hear. It's a glimpse into the heart and soul of another. Be that as it may, others may hear something not intended. I try to be the sort that listens to the heart and applies that to the words. Not the other way around. If it takes longer to grow comfortable around others. Then that is the way of it. Take your time. I am in no hurry."

He looked back out over the piers and allowed her time to take as much of it in as she wanted in silence.

Ashari

Post by Ashari »

"I left rather, unexpectedly, and hastily." Ashari said. "I wasn't finding anything, I was following."

The mage looked out over the Mer-esque view and smiled, glad to have found something of home, both in the locale and in the Captain. If this was just the first spot he could come up with, then she was positive he had some even better places to show that would remind her of home. No. This is supposed to be home now. With Iorn. She thought of him more as her home than the place they were at, but being away from him it made it more difficult to see the good in the rocky isle.

As he responded to her she took the moment of silence with great thankfulness. "You're not really what I would've expected of the Captain of the Purple Guard," she said, finally, as she watched the water wash up against the pylons supporting the dock. Mazus wasn't one one would've expected of the Commander of the King's Court Guard, either, she imagined, but their relationship had been fleeting. She hoped a friendship with the Captain would be much more long-lasting than that had been.

"Not to be stereotypical, mind you, but I would think you would be more..." Here she paused. "Brash, I suppose. King's Court should be so lucky as to have more thoughtful and insightful men in power." Especially in the hinterland of Western Terra. She thought as she recalled the corrupted officials of the backcountry.

Ashari smiled and spurned Kiker on with her heels. "Where to next?" She waited for Ulder to start moving before she gave the horse any other direction. "Have you always been interested in the philosophy concerning the heart, Ulder?" Her head tilted to the side just a bit. The mage considered herself a naif when it came to such subjects, but, when she used to travel there was a stablehand who worked at an inn much outside of King's Court, on the carriage roads, that much enjoyed such conversations. Perhaps, she considered. It is horses that inspire such trains of thought. If that were the case, she'd need to go on many more rides to catch up with the experienced gentleman aisde her.
Last edited by Ashari on Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

He listened to her speak, still gazing out over the water. There was more he wanted to say. More that he wanted to know, but this was a friendly tour and he wanted for her to be able to maintain a level of privacy and discretion. So he settled for letting the topic go unanswered and thinking about the Mer back home. It was strange how when he thought of his birthplace, now Citadel began to blend in whenever the word 'home' was mentioned.

He was somewhat surprised at her confession of what she had expected him to be like. He hadn't thought that he necessarily carried any pre-conceived notions around with him, but now that he considered it, he supposed that the uniform and the office carried it's own particular type of expectations.

He replied to her, still transfixed by the morning light on the water.

"I think that might be a common thought for most. The see a uniform and a life spent in service. Sometimes people automatically assume that because I am a simple soldier, that I am simple minded. I could name a few examples of when and how this has happened, but in the interest of protecting their identities, I won't get into specifics."

He shifted in the saddle and looked over at her.

"Besides, I like to surprise people whenever I can. I don't ever want to be what someone expects. I always wish to be better than that, and bring more to the table. I strive for excellence in all things, even if that means just being me."

He turned the magnificent Miginath around and began at a walk back towards the city proper. His next destination was sure to please, if this had been a success, so he answered her question with the ever enigmatic reply for the ages.

"You'll see."

A quick hopping step from his mount was quickly executed and once again they were on their way.

"Isn't all philosophy of the heart?"

He smiled at his own humor, hoping she would see he wasn't serious."

"Being in this line of work requires a certain understanding of the nature of people. Some commit the foulest of deeds in the name of love, and some simply love committing the deeds themselves. But sometimes one can save a life by being purely selfish. It's these things that I sometimes ponder over."

"I've always been this way. My mother once said I was 'born old'. It was her way of saying that I preferred to think and listen over talking. My brothers never understood, so they picked on me. My father never understood, so he allowed them to. Most of my friends as a child were adults because they were fine with letting me be, but most children I was around never quite figured it out. For that matter, there are very few who ever bothered to try."

Ulder frowned. Not because of the subject matter or the memories associated with it, but because he thought it might seem as if he were complaining. He replaced his frown with a more thoughtful, serene expression.

"But I suppose each of us has their trials to overcome."

He sighed somewhat contentedly and with a grin, gave Miginath a playful rub on the top of his head.

"I have a few snacks if you get hungry, and if you need to rest, don't be shy in saying so. You're doing much better in not pinching with your knees. I think you're getting the hang of this."

Ashari

Post by Ashari »

"Well, I had never thought of soldiers as being simple minded when I was younger. My father was in the military." There were many memories attached to him. "But, when I left home I met some other kinds of guardsman and my opinion changed." Of course, Ashari had been a thief then, and was forging documents to get enough money to feed herself, so she was on the opposite side of the law, so their pugnacious attitude made perfect sense. "I've come to meet several good men in the militia, however. I was a close friend of the Commander of the Vanguard, in King's Court." Ash realized he might not know that institution whatsoever.

"The formed rather recently. I worked closely with them to remove corrupt officials from power during the absense of the Prince-King." It sound rather important, now that she considered it, but she didn't go into details of what she had actually done when in that position. "During the battle with the Orcs we fought against them and those who helped them."

She smiled as he turned to her. "Well, you've done just that then, Captain, for I am quite impressed. I feel quite safe here in the city knowing you are making sure that we are safe." Ashari hadn't realized what a tenebrous place the Citadel had been, or was, at this very moment, aside from what Illyria had told her, and that was a surreal enough scenario that it was barely registering in her mind.

Ash matched his playful grin and nodded quietly as he spoke, thinking over his words as they trotted to the next locale. His enigmatic response had done little to assuage her curiosity of where they were headed, but it was a fun anticipation. This was nice, and new, and it had been a long time since she had been able to just relax. "People are interesting in that way, and no matter what, the world is always cast in shades of gray. There is no wrong and there is no right, there is only us and what we percieve, and each person does so differently." She was amazed with his insight. If nothing else, atleast she could expect to have intimate and interesting conversations with the personable Captain. The thief wondered if he was this way toward all people he met.

"All I had was brothers growing up, and they can be monsters, indeed, especially when one is more prone to contemplation than climbing trees for no reason." Her expression betrayed that she knew this all to well. "I'd give anything to get thrown in another mud puddle though." She smiled. "No matter what any kid deals with, they almost always want to go back when they are adults." Ashari blushed a bit as she thought on her own age and the fact that she wasn't particularly one to talk on what 'adults' reflected on. The events she had recently lived through had aged her emotionally by leaps and bounds.

"I had an apple when I walked over this morning," she said. "But I'll keep it in mind. Riding is quite the excercise." When he said she was doing better she smiled brightly and sat up a bit straighter. "Well thank you!" She laughed. "I'm sure Kiker appreciates it more than you, however." Another single giggle ensued. "You are an excellent teacher, I doubt there's a rider around more qualified." She paid as careful attention to where they were going as she could, trying to pull out landmarks so she could find the places again.

"But maybe when we stop next we could stop for a flicker for a drink?"
Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

"If you've never considered soldiers simple, then you are way ahead of most. It's been my experience that many around here think we're a bunch of mindless thugs encased in steel. No doubt there are a few who are, but it's been my mission to change such thinking."

Ulder thought immediately of his encounter with Lord Azarin and the search of the De Bessnie residence. Surely the man thought him a fool and a pawn in his quest to frame De Bessnie for something he did not do. It was from that day forward that the Captain kept a wary eye on the comings and goings of Andolin and his staff.

When she spoke of the Vanguard, Ulder cocked his head in interest as she spoke. He was clearly interested to hear her story, and showed it with engaged curiosity. Although he had no personal experience with Commander Rainsong, he had read several reports about the man in his various briefings.

"I have never met the Commander of the Vanguard. I did not know that it even existed until I ascended to this position and began reading reports from our people in the West. I've heard he is quite an impressive man, however."

"It's interesting that you say you assisted in removing corrupt officials from power. That is very much my goal for Citadel as well. I have little but suspicion and innuendo to work from at this point, but we are working to get to the bottom of a few important events. If you don't mind me asking, I'd very much like to hear how you helped and what happened. I can use all the help I can get, and if one is already experienced in this sort of thing, that makes you a very valuable ally in such a fight. I hope it doesn't seem presumptuous that I would ask for your assistance."

He smiled at her compliments.

"Thank you my Lady. We are doing our very best to serve the Empire well."

Then his grin widened as she spoke of a drink.

"Indeed we will. And funny you should say that because we're actually at our next spot already."

He reigned in Miginath with a sudden jerk, and reached for Kiker's harness to assist her in stopping quickly.

"Now if you turn around slowly, you find yourself looking back into the plaza we just passed through. The building to your immediate right will remind you greatly of the Laughing King's Tavern and a bit further down the street, you'll see a two-story building that will resemble the Kings Blade Duelling club."

He sat expectantly, waiting for her reaction to the similarities. It was still amazing to him that looking at the buildings from the direction they came from did little to inspire memories of their shared home, but with this subtle shift in the direction they were facing, the new perspective made it nearly impossible to miss the resemblance.

"There's an Inn not too far up the street where we can stop for a bit if you like."

He smiled, assuming that she probably did not recognize approaching the Burpin Dragon from this other direction.

Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

OOC: Because of the RL time constraints on the lovely Ashari, this is a wrap up post for the thread.

IC: They stopped for refreshing drinks at the Burpin Dragon next, and had a engaging conversation about the architecture and history of King's Court and the West. Ulder found the young woman knowledgable about many things and he sincerely hoped they had formed an alliance of sorts as she told him of her fight to rid King's Court of corruption and darkness, and he told her of his similar goals.

Ulder spent the rest of the morning bringing her to places all around the fair and wondrous capital. There were little bits of their shared former home in fountains, stonework and in the streets that he showed her. Tiny, out of the way places that only a person that had grown up in the west would even see as familiar. There were times when it was hard to tell if the artisans in Citadel were affecting the works of those in the West or if it were the other way around. They discussed this much and at length.

He thought it best to return her to her home around lunchtime, so that she might be able to eat and refresh herself before carrying on with her day. He was conscious of the time as he did not want her wasting away a whole day with him on trivial things that, before his time with the Guard, he could spend all day doing.

He dropped her off at her home in the Patrician's ring, kissing her hand politely and innocently as they made their farewells. Then, with a twinge of sadness, he made his back to the stables to return the horses. His last few burns on the magnificent Miginath were very important and special to him.

He thought of Ashari and hoped that she had enjoyed their tour and that she learned a thing or two about riding, as well as seeing bits and pieces of home all around her. He thought of Elaine and wondered how she was and her time with the Ceasar. He hoped that both would recover quickly. He thought of home and the safety of his family and of the war that threatened them in the West. He thought of lost loves, old friends and the new life he was building for himself here.

It was of all these things that occupied his mind as he led the horses back the stable and his heart was heavy and with great regret when the building came into view. Stalling for time before he had to return to his office, he brushed the two horses down himself, and took careful care of their tack and harness. He thanked the Ostler several times for allowing him to spend the morning with his mounts, and promised to return another day to ride again. He spent a burn staring at Miginath, silently vowing to return to him and thanking the beast for a wonderful morning.

He tucked his gloves into his belt and with a heavy sigh, returned to the grim world of death and murder that awaited him, thankful for his time spent away from the darkness.

Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

Skillzd! Don't look now...Ashari knows how to RIDE! :)

-G
Maeve: It starts with ambition
Meridiuz: It ends with Grant

Return to “Inner City Archive”