Icy Quest, part III: The Fate of Fronigtalle (Sam 22nd)

Moderators: Vanadius, Mods

Maeve
The Dragon & Game Designer

Post by Maeve »

Ortus gave Hex a wry smile "Thank you, milady, I will keep one dog, if it pleases you. If not for anything else than perhaps it will help me hunt." He let go the other dogs who stayed with the sled, rolling up in a little curl, or playing a bit.

They walked down to the valley, walking down a mountain always being more laborous than going up for strange reasons of gravity, and soon they entered the level where forest errupted all around them, pines first, and then more lush trees. No signs of griphons but Hex had noticed the circling of black smoke as they walked down the mountain. It appeared there was some life alongside the river that had created this valley. In the walls of the mountain several caves could be seen, even through the cover of trees.
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]
Ashilda da'Svafa

Post by Ashilda da'Svafa »

Moving forward, Ashilda clasped her hand around the amulet she had made. She wouldn't activate it yet, especially since this was the least reliable of the ones she had made - the one bearing two runes on a single stone - but it was reassuring to feel the weight of it around her neck. Her other hand rested on the head of the dog pacing at her side, more reassurance as well as encouragement for the beast to remain with her.

As they walked, the young woman kept her senses bent towards the valley itself. Did it feel any different to the last time she had set foot here a few sunrises ago? Then there had simply been a sense of expectation, of something about to happen, although the sense had also been there that whatever future happening was heralded was not one of cheer and good fortune. She needed to know if the influx of stangers into the sacred valley had disrupted that fragile balance. Is this even the coming event I sensed? she wondered. It would be easy to assume so, that these legions bent on destruction of the hippogryphs were the dire threat that kept the Queen distracted, but something about the idea didn't sit well with her. Perhaps it was just that it seemed too small a thing for the Goddess to be so troubled over? Surely she could exact her own vengance on a troop of mortals if she was able to give her attention to the task?

In a low voice, she murmured to Hex, "I was never trained for war, Hex. You have. Do you see anything that we should be concerned about yet?"
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

Post by Hex da`Bergliin »

Hex looked back and smiled at Ashilda...

"Well it all depends on how you want to look at it. On one hand nothing has presented it self as either a threat or a friend. On the other hand, we are walking into the perfect place for an ambush with the caves and the forest. There is also the point that as far as I know the hippogryphs don't build fires so someone built that one."

Hex pointed out the smoke plume.

"So, lets be smart barbarian pagans shall we, (grinning at Ortus and giving him a wink), and lets scout out from a distance who we are about to go kill. Sorry, talk to."

Hex looked to her country woman.

"Clear your mind of those things that weigh upon you. You are the Queen's woman here and no feather in or not in your hair is going to change that. She has her own plans for us, know this. You are here at a special time for a reason. I hope that you continue with me to see her, I would enjoy that. Now, let's see how much destruction these legions and their crossbows have done. I fear many a hippogryph will have been killed. There is an reason for all of this insanity, now we just have to unwind the riddle. Come, shall we see if we can find Ortus some pants?"

Hex grinned as she started to look for the best approach down the valley for the little troupe. Moving a little slower Hex wished to bring down noise and move with more awareness.
Last edited by Hex da`Bergliin on Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~
[i]The [b]Kona[/b] is dead, long live the [b]Witches[/b][/i]
Ashilda da'Svafa

Ashilda nodded slowly as Hex explained her conclusions about the area they were in, both the absence of obvious immediate threat and the fact that the area could easily hide people waiting in ambush. Her breath caught in her throat as she looked where the warrior pointed and saw the plume of smoke, but shock quickly gave way to anger. I'd wager they've cut trees and hunted game for their feasting, was the thought that flashed through her mind. It was rare enough that native Trothgarders would do either of those things while in the Valley - the ritual fasting making hunting unnecessary and acknowledgement that these forests were special making the cutting of wood seem unwise. Besides, for folk used to the icy winds and snows, what need was there for a fire here?

The thought that intruders would come into the Valley and both chop down trees and hunt the game that supported the hippogryphs touched her deeply. The thought that perhaps it was a hippogryph itself that was roasting over the fire filled her with a fierce anger.

Hex's next words distracted her from that anger, however, and she looked at the older woman in wonder. Were her emotions so plainly writ upon her face, or did Hex have some deeper knowledge or understanding that let her divine such things? If it weren't for the acceptance that such a talent could only come from the Ice Queen, Ashilda admitted to herself that she would be a little frightened. Hex already seemed so much larger than life sometimes.

The comment about the distruction of the hippogryphs brought back the surge of anger, but Hex's final comment broke the moment of solemnity and Ashilda found herself biting back a giggle. Her eyes twinkled with suppressed laughter as she glanced at the young man in his borrowed skirts. Grateful for the lift in her mood, she nodded her acceptance of Hex's words. "I will keep my mind of the task at hand," she assured her companion. "And I would be pleased to come with you in your search for our Queen, if you would have me. For now, however, I think I will move into the trees a little way and see if I can surprise any surprises." She grinned, then added, "Who would have thought that my eforts to learn runecrafting when mother wouldn't teach me would give me such a useful skill?"

With that, she stepped aside from the small group. The dog she kept with her, hoping that Grimkell did the same as Rimehold and used their sled dogs for hunting as well. She also hoped that moving through trees and undergrowth without snow wouldn't be too different from with snow. To that end, she kept glancing at the ground in front of her as she moved carefully forward. Her biggest danger was going to be twigs and leaves that could snap and crackle under her feet, she she made special effort to find clear places to set her boots.
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

Hex watched Ashilda move off. As she turned back to the trail she smiled to herself, pleased with how she had been able to raise awareness but then bring the level of tension back down. Hex knew that they had to be focused but she wanted them loose with a clear and open mind. Hex thought back to her time in Dort when she organized the house guard and how she was going to lead them. This she realized was far more important and more rewarding. It was not just coming up with a order and expecting others to follow, they looked to her for leadership and Hex was looking within herself for guidance. All in all, a good development Hex thought.

Hex looked back at Ortus wondering how and when he would try and betray her...
~
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

The air grew thick as the moved through the forest. It smelled of burned hair and flesh. The column of smoke was too large to be a of a single fire. Soon enough they reached the edges, able to crawl over a rock with a single tree and watch what a little further was happening further down in the valley.

The legion, from the looks of it seriously diminished but still standing, had cleared a large part of the forest and had burned away all bushes and other potential hiding places, creating a battlefield of burned ash so that they had a good line of sight.

The men were sitting in a circle, fifty or seventy in all, the other circle holding their crossbows at the ready. Outside the circle.. a carnage. As Ashilda had feared the burned ash was covered with bleeding hippogryphs, their beaks open with tongues lolling out, their wings ripped off with knives, their chests filled with arrows. Stallion after stallion lay dead... but only the stallions. There was no sign of the herds more plentiful mares, or of any little ones. In between them lay the dead soldiers, sometimes without arms, or their head, claws ripping their stomaches open. The bodies appeared to be dead for some time, already the stiffness of corpses having given way to limpness and leaking.

Inside the circle, that upon inspection closely resembled a group of afraid men huddling together, inside that circle stood two well dressed men discussing something with some agitation, their voices not carrying far enough to make out the words.

Next to Hex Ortus chocked at seeing so many of his countrymen dead. However he whispered to her "That is the captain", pointing out the brownhaired man in colored armor, and did not appear to make any attempt at signalling the legion.
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

"The Queen has only sacrificed the males. I see no wizards or men of the one god. I see two men deciding if they should go and how to do that. Some of them will leave soon as they will be out of supplies. The advantage is ours. They will die it is just a matter of when and how. their numbers are strong, I would like to weaken them. Let us retreat a bit and discuss our strategy."

Moving back Hex waited to hear what the others had to say before deciding on a formal plan.
~
Ashilda da'Svafa

Peering over the edge at the devastation below, tears sprang to Ashilda's eyes and bile rose in her throat. It was small concellation that the hippogryphs seemed to have given as good as they got - there mere fact that so many lay dead and butchered filled her with an ineffable sadness. Clenching her teeth against the urge to sob wildly, she forced herself to consider the rest of the scene below.

There were less soldiers than she had expected, but still far more than she had hoped. She was pleased to note, however, that there were no men dressed in long robes like the servant of that One God they had first met. A little vindictively (she was still shaken over the deaths of so many hippogryphs), she scanned the bodies of the dead human to see if any such lay amongst the slain.

She heard Ortus point out the captain of the troop, and peripheral vision showed her Hex moving back from the edge. She went to do the same and found that she was shaking violently. As she moved the few steps to where the others stood, she tried to bring herself back under control with a few slow, deliberate breaths.

Catching Hex's quiet words, Ashilda frowned. The Queen had only sacrificed the males, yes, but she couldn't see why there had needed to be a sacrifice at all. The comment about the advantage being theirs made her smile a little, although the smile was tinged with irony. "It's a slim enough advantage," she replied. "There's still far more of them than of us - far worse odds than in our last battle with them. If those contraptions they hold are as powerful as Ortus suggests, getting close enough to fight could be a problem. Look at what it's done to the hippogryphs!" Her breath caught and she found herself choking back another sob. A deep breath brought her voice back under control, and she continued, "I could possibly fire some runes at them as I did before, but I haven't many against such a group. Irmgard, wherever the Guardian has led her, has her sling, but I doubt that her range is good enough to keep her beyond theirs. The Guardian himself fights one-on-one, as do you. And what of Ortus? Can we trust him to join us in this fight?"

She turned towards the young man as she spoke these last words, including him in the question. Then, thinking back on her speech, she added, "I'm sorry if this sounds terribly negative, but the fact is that whatever advantage we may have in surprise is at least equalled by the fact that they have more fighters and more ranged weapons - or, indeed, any sort of weapons. I'm sure they have swords and suchlike as well, in case you do manage to close with them."
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

Hex liked the sound of anger in Ashilda's voice. It was good that she feel the vengeance that was about to take place. Hex wanted her to become in tune with what was happening around her, soon she would feel the full love of her Queen and then there would be no more tears.

"You can hit the ground and freeze their feet in the snow, you can turn their commander to ice, you can do a lot. We should observe their tactics and see their weak points. I assume that they are low on food and waiting for reinforcements from the ship. Some must realize they wait to die. We can kill them one at a time from the comfort of the woods. We can kill them quick or slow, it does not matter as long as we kill them."

Looking over to Ortus and smiling.

"What of Ortus? He will heal you if you are cut by their wickedness. I think he knows his role. I will not ask of him to slaughter the foul men who invade our home. That pleasure is mine and yours. Let us see what these fools do at night..."
~
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

OOC: Just letting you know I'm reading along ;)

IC: Ortus was having a difficult time. He kept staring down at the huddling men, no doubt feeling for them as they were waiting to die. He stared at Hex as if trying to determine if she was a creature of the Nether of merely cruel. For one moment it looked as if he would bolt. Then he sighed with a forelorn face "Hex.. take out their leaders and the legion will dissolve. Look at them.. already they are pretty much spiritless, and the officers are fighting amongst themselves." It reflected upon the character of the boy that he sought to defend the soldiers, regarding them as victim to their situation instead of brutal butchers.
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

Hex grinned ear to ear as she turned to address the young lad.

"Why yes Ortus, they would dissolve. They would all run amok in the forest and die. We could have fun hunting them down one at a time, and we most likely will have to."

Turning to Ashilda...

"Ortus has set the plan. The Guardian should be back soon. We will tell the others of the plan and hope that this rabble can make it though the night, then Ashilda, you will kill the leaders. We will kill the rest. For being truthful in his words (refereing to Ortus) I will kill as quickly and cleanly as I am allowed so that the suffering of the dying will be less. Let us camp and eat, one should not kill when they are hungry..."
~
Ashilda da'Svafa

It was strangely chilling to hear Hex speak of the slaughter that would come in such a matter-of-fact manner. Still, she thought, Hex is a warrior. They must get training of some sort to help them deal with it. She considered that for a flicker, then silently added, I wish I'd had training to help me deal with it.

So they would rest and wait for the Guardian and Irmgard to return. Then she would fire her rune-laden arrows once more and this time she would be aiming for specific targets. She was sure she could do it - the first one, at least. It would be easy then, with no one expecting any specific attack and the leaders standing close together in the centre of the circle. She could take her time with the shot, make sure she didn't miss. Subsequent shots would be harder. They would be alert then, and moving, and she definitely didn't want to get any closer than she absolutely had to.

Refusing to dwell on it, she snapped herself out of her musing and nodded to Hex. "Yes, food would be good, even if it has to be cold - I'm not sure I like the idea of announcing ourselves with a campfire, even if most of those legion-ers are too scared to move far from their own fire. There may be one or two bold enough or stupid enough to risk a look, and I think our attack will fare better if we have surprise on our side." Moving further back from the ridge, she sank down onto a large rock and swung her pack off her shoulders. "How long do you think they're likely to be?" she asked Hex, referring to their hunting companions.
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

Ortus blanched at Hex' s teasing, then nodded once as the warrior lady offered her mercy. It was not much but it was something and he would take what he could get.

They retreated to a place where their fire would not be seen by the enemy, some ways back. Ashilda's question was quickly answered for when they left the forst for meadows just before the steep mountains begain again, ending the valley, the Guardian and Irmgard were approaching, their faces grim, while they carried several rabbits. The Guardian's white fur was smeared with blood.
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

Hex looked to the Guardian.

"You look not happy my friend, do the rabbits taste bad? Perhaps you found some of our new friends that are camped over the hill? Humm? Will you be ready to kill when the dawn comes? I wish to discuss tactics with you ans set up a watch for the night."

Looking over her odd little gathering...

"Come let us eat what the Guardian has brought us. tomorrow will be a draining day and the night will be restless..."
~
saskia
Game Designer
Game Designer

Post by saskia »

OOC: Taking over from the Dragon, with your permission...

IC:
"Aye my daughterrr" the guardian growled. "We have indeed been blessed durring ourrr hunt, but the occupation of the vally saddens me"

After this speech he sat silently, eating his rabbit raw, leaving the coocking to Ortus, who without having to be told took the rabbits and started to clean and cook them, building only a small fire.

He shrugged at the two women: "I have no recepies for raw rabbit, so I think thius small fire is no great risk" he said, gesturing at the ridge of rock between them and the enemy.
[size=100][color=red] It takes a red-headed woman, to get a dirty job done[/size][/color]

[size=84]Bruce Springsteen[/size]

[size=75]http://www.dreslough.com[/size]
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

Hex smiled at the Guardian, her warm smile that meant she was about to kill something and that usually made her feel good. She went over her plan for attack and the posting of guards for the night. She would take the first watch, the two women the second and the Guardian the third. things were still not settled with regards to Ortus to let him in on a watch, maybe he would stay up with her but she doubted it.

As the rabbit was cooked and the bellies were filled Hex began to reminisce of the great deeds of the warriors of Trothgard as they had been passed down to her by her mother. She had no talent in story telling but she felt that she should distract them from the fight ahead yet give them the confidence that they could win.

Hex had a more planed attack this time. First Ashilda would take out the captains. Then she would see how the troops would unravel. First they could stay strong, form up and move or stay. Either way then she would cull them as if they were deer, killing stragglers or the weak as they went. Second they could be spotted and attacked. Hex would fade back and use the natural cover of the trees and snow to do swift strikes against the enemy, fading away until there were but a few. Thirdly, they could run and then Hex would come from behind and cull them once again.

Dawn and fate would guide the day. She wanted her little crew to be well rested and up for the fight. Hex knew not of Irmgard's abilities but she wanted Ashilda and her to work as a team, one for the close work and one for the long. She would leave Ortus with them as she would be too busy to keep and proper eye on him.

Hex finished her stories as the fire died low. She suggested that they all retire soon as the next day was going to be long and draining, both physically and emotionally. Hex stepped away from the camp to do her meditations and training, allowing each to collect their thoughts.
~
Ashilda da'Svafa

OOC: Apologies for the delay. New spam filter that decided it didn't like Tazlure notifications. *grumble* Hopefulyl it's fixed now. Anyway, welcome aboard, Saskia! :)

IC:

Ashilda patted the Guardian's arm and said sympathetically, "It saddens all of us, my friend. But Hex has some ideas about how we can end it." She left the relating of those plans to the warrior, knowing that her own explanation would likely be lacking.

Hex seemed pleased to do so, and Ashilda was left in awe of the way the woman thougth through all of the options and had an idea for how to deal with each one. This is the sort of attention to detail that would benefit me as well, she thought. Really, there isn't all that much difference between planning a battle and preparing to scribe a rune sentence - once I get to the stage of being able to scribe a sentence, that is... Still, she could appreciate the thought that Hex had put into the plan. She appreciated the fact that she would be well back from the main fighting even more.

Remembering her earlier concern, she added, "Much though I hate to say it, we should know what we will do if either of my shots should miss. I can be fairly certain of the first shot, since they won't be expecting it and will probably be staying fairly still, but it is still a possibility. The second shot is even more risky, since by then they will likely be on their guard - if they have trained as soldiers then they aren't likely to waste time running about in panic. Not the leaders, anyway." She shrugged.

As they considered the question, the young woman watched Ortus thoughtfully. He would be staying with them, and she hoped that his fear of Hex would keep him from betraying them. After all, what else would? He had no real tie to them, aside from the fact that they had taken him prisoner and spared his life. She decided that she was going to keep very careful watch on Ortus. The last thing she wanted was for him to shout out to the troops below, or to feel him stick a knife into her ribs.

Once everything was settled, she agreed that sleep was a good idea. She was still tired from her earlier attempts at runescribing, and the day's shocks had left her weary beyond belief. As she curled up beside the fire, she closed her eyes and sent a wordless prayer to the Goddess. It was a prayer of hope and devotion, beseeching the Queen to watch over them all when they went to battle on the morrow.
saskia
Game Designer
Game Designer

Post by saskia »

The new day dawned cold and grey, but still unsettling like any other day.
One would expect a certain tension in the air, anything to mark this day as special, but there was none.

Fortunately, the soldiers down in the valley did not notice anything either. They also rose and started their daily routine. Fires were being lit and breakfast cooked.

Ortus and Irmgard rose shivering. Irmgard silent, Ortus nervous and moving around just to keep busy.
With whispered apologies, he handed each of them a cold breakfast, not daring to make a fire now.

After breakfast he looked at Hex, and said softly: "I know you don't trust me. But at this time I do feel the need to pray.
It is true that my god may have cast me out, since I have not kept my vows. But I still would like to try and pray, and if you think I might pray for your downfall, then I will do it aloud.."
[size=100][color=red] It takes a red-headed woman, to get a dirty job done[/size][/color]

Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

Hex looked at Ortus and bent low to him.

"Pray to whom you wish. I put forth that soon you should pray to the Ice Queen for mercy for your god holds no sway here. Today will be a day of death, let us rejoice and prepare for slaughter."

Hex moved through some drills and warmed up her muscles. She did not need to seek the power, it was there around her and she wanted to ride it like a ship at sea embarking on a raid. She could wait no more. As soon as the group was fed...

"Let us bring death to the defilers of our land. All know their role."

Before she set out Hex bowed her head and listened to the wind for a moment...
~
Ashilda da'Svafa

On waking, Ashilda found herself consumed with nervous energy. She fought the urge to get up and pace, instead sitting and checking over her equipment. The rune chips she had scribed were still tied securely to their arrows, And these were separated from the blank arrows in her quiver so that she could get at them easily and quickly. There weren't many however, and she considered taking the time to make a few more.

No, I'd better not, she rejected the idea. I don't know if I could focus well enough in the time we have. She knew the problem she had: there had been too long to think about this fight. Last time, they had come across the servant of the One unexpectedly and had paused only long enough for her to scribe her first set of rune chips before charging into battle. This time they had been planning the confrontation for a few days, and the pressure was begining to tell.

She let her eyes rest idly on Ortus as he bustled around the camp. He seemed to feel as restless as she did. Hex, on the other hand, was as calm as ever - if she showed any emotion, it was suppressed excitement at the coming fight. Ashilda shook her head in wonder and glanced at her cousin. Irmgard was quiet, but whether the calm was forced or not she couldn't tell. I wish I'd taken the time to know her better, she thought ruefully. I was always too busy with my own concerns to really get to know my cousins, though... Now I might not get the chance... She grimaced, thrusting the thought away with all the mental force she could muster. She wouldn't consider the possibility of any of them falling in the coming battle.

Taking a few deep breaths, she sought to bring herself back under control. Her task in the coming fight would required calm precision, not battle lust, and her fear and tensness would make aiming almost impossible. Her eyes closed and she let her mind still. The Queen's presence might not be as strong in the Valley as it should have been, but the many long years she had poured her power into it had left their mark. There was a sense of peace here, and a deep well of... something. She let that feeling flow into her and fill her, driving out all of her dark and fatalistic thoughts.

By the time Ortus handed her the cold breakfast he had made, she felt more ready to face the coming fight. Chewing thoughtfully on her food, she listened to Ortus ask Hex for permission to pray and smiled when the warrior suggested that he pray to the Ice Queen instead of his One. She wasn't sure she could 'rejoice in the slaughter' as Hex suggested, but she did at least feel the satisfaction of knowing that they were doing something necessary and right.

Swallowing the last of her meal, she nodded at Hex and rose gracefully to her feet. "The Queen watch and guide you," she said, looking at each of her companions. She was quite proud that her voice, while quiet, was steady. "Dont forget the amulets you carry. I don't know exactly how effective they will be, but even if they only turn a single arrow or blade, it may be enough." She took a deep breath and glanced towards Ortus and Irmgard. "Let's get into position and see what those soldiers are up to this morning."

She left her pack where it was, but pulled from it her grey woolen scarf. As they headed back up to the ridge, she wrapped it securely around her head. It would be warm, but it would also serve the double purpose of keeping her hair out of the way and hiding any tell-tale flashed from the beads woven into her braids. She would likely need to stand on top of the ridge to get a good shot, and the less things that could betray her position the better. When she reached the top, she crouched in the shadown of a large tree and looked down at the camp below.
saskia
Game Designer
Game Designer

Post by saskia »

OOC: Just go ahead...CHAAAAAARRRGE ! *ahem, sorry*

Ashilda da'Svafa

OOC: *grin* Well, since I act first, I'll set the ball rolling then (or the arrow flying, as it were). I'm going to make a few assumptions here, so poke me if I've made any glaring mistakes. ;)

IC:

It was early enough that the shadows under the trees were deep and dark - perfect for hiding in. Below, Ashilda could see the early stirings of the camp. Men were huddled around their fires, some still in their bedrolls, others eating a cold breakfast. She scanned the troop in the hazy dawn light, looking for the two commanders they had identified the day before. Even just identifying one of them would be enough - once the panic started, the other would either become fairly obvious as he began directing his troops or would be of no consequence if he crawled off and hid.

It took her a while, since colours were hard to distinguish in that peculiar light, but she eventually recognised the armoured man that Ortus had said was the captain. It looked as though he had slept in his armour, and Ashilda didn't even try to keep the vindictive grin from her lips. "I hope his back's on fire from it," she muttered, her eyes straying briefly once more to the carnage not far from the camp. It was obvious that the captain shared his soldiers' discomfort about the fight they had had.

Time to give him another one, I suppose, she thought as she reched into the quiver for one of the runed arrows. It had taken her long enough to find him that Hex and the Guardian would be in place by now. She glanced at her two companions, one her own cousin and the other a prisoner. Frowning slightly, she slipped the dagger from her belt and handed it to Irmgard. Leaning in close, she murmured, "You are as unlikely a warrior as I, but I beg you: if Ortus tries to run or to otherwise spoil our plan, stop him." She held the woman's gaze for a moment, then squeezed her shoulder affectionately. "The Queen watch over you, Irmgard da'Svafa," she said, this time pitched so Ortus could hear. She glanced at the young man. "And you too, although whether you'll think it a good thing or not is beyond me."

Taking a deep breath, she moved back to her position under the shadow of the huge tree. She wasn't letting herself think about what she was about to do. It was as if she stood outside herself, an observer only as her body fitted the arrow to the string and drew the bow. She took her time aiming, making sure that she made all the compensations she had learned about: wind, distance, elevation. When she was sure the shot was as true as she could possibly make it, she closed her eyes for a flicker and thought, I will be an instrument of your vengence, my Queen.

She opened her eyes, and loosed the arrow.
saskia
Game Designer
Game Designer

Post by saskia »

Irmgard took the dagger and nodded, her face pale. Ortus just continued his prayers, oblivious to the world around him.

Ashilda drew a deep breath, and let her arrow fly. It seemed to stand out against the sky in the bright morning, clear, sharp, shining.
Swift, and yet as slow as the turning of the seasons it sought it's goal, the captain still standing and speaking with his soldiers, not knowing what fate came rushing to him from behind.

Ashilda could have sworn she heard the arrow strike with a metallic sound, though at this distance that should have been impossible.
The foreign captain froze, his hand still in a gesture, and he seemed to light up, or turn a lighter shade, or freeze.....

Ashilda da'Svafa

Ashilda held her breath as she watched the arrow fly towards its target. She felt as though she'd been frozen in place herself, bow raised and arm still bent from the draw, hardly daring to move lest she disturb that graceful arc somehow.

When the arrow struck, she clamped her jaws together against a cry of delight. Her aim had been true! The rune triggered with the impact and the captain began to turn to ice before her watching eyes. She allowed herself a grim smile of satisfaction. That should put the fear of the Goddess into them, that even in this green Valley she can close her icy fist around one of their number. Now, where's his friend?

Her eyes roved over the camp as she drew another runed arrow from her quiver and set it to the string. She wouldn't draw until she had something to aim at - no sense tiring her arm and risking a wobbly aim. The only question was whether or not the other leader she had seen would step up and take charge or run and hide and hope it would all go away. Not that she minded if he did. Hex and the Guardian would find him sooner or later, and he would get to meet the Queen he had wronged.
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

OOC: Sorry all, was a bit under the weather...

IC:

Hex watched with glee as the Captain froze in place. Winking over to Ashilda she looked out for the next ranking officer. It was a passive gaze though as her attention was torn between watching the regular troops for their reactions and keeping her mind on the pulse of the power.

For most people this was occurring like it was for Ashilda. The young woman saw that battle was a ugly necessity that needed to be done. She could see that she was more determined, had more invested in this particular fight. She would rather have done something else than kill.

For Hex though this is what it means to be alive. For her battle was like a warm bath. It soothed the rough edges and relaxes the mind. Killing the enemy of Trothgard soothed the soul and brought comfort.

She smiled for she was ready for the coming combat, head on, from the side, in chase, it did not matter. Rolling her shoulders she felt tension leave her neck as the battle field began to take shape.

She concentrated on keeping the wind low for Ashilda's next shot, soon though this blight on the land of Trothgard would feel the touch of the queen upon their bare skin.

Frost was coming and so was death.

"Let fly girl, give that fool a kiss form Trothgard."
~

Return to “Trothgard Archive”