Icy Quest, part III: The Fate of Fronigtalle (Sam 22nd)

Moderators: Vanadius, Mods

Ashilda da'Svafa

Post by Ashilda da'Svafa »

The greeting and question put the heart back into the young Clanswoman. If she is so relaxed then things could not be in too bad a way back in Rimehold. Taking another step forward, she replied, "It is good to see you, Irmgard, if a little unexpected. We are well enough." She noticed the feather adorning her cousin's hair and remembered that other young woman had set out on her Rite not long before her own. A stab of resentment pierced her as she realised that the other's quest had been successful. If I had practised more with my weapons as a child, I would not have had to delay so long and perhaps I would have succeeded as well! The thought was bitter, but then she remembered the way she had left the Valley. If I had been successful, would I have ridden the hippogryph? Would I even be here, fighting to drive these intruders from the Queen's domain?

That was the thought that gave her the strength to push aside the envy and smile at her kinswoman, even if the smile was a trifle strained. "I see congratlations are in order, cousin. First, however, let me introduce you to my companions." She indicated the red-haired warrior beside her. "This is Hex da'Bergliin, warrior and traveller." She gave the woman a quick grin, then gestured towards the large, shaggy creature nearby. "This servant of the Ice Queen is known simply as the Gaurdian. And this one is one of the intruders who seem intent on destroying our land." She jerked her head towards Ortus.
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

Post by Hex da`Bergliin »

OOC: Welcome to the game.

IC:

Hex gave a nod as introductions were made. Looking this woman over she took note of her lack of weapons or armor. Looking to the sky she could tell that it was now into tradetide.

"Come Irmgard da’Svafa and welcome. We were just breaking camp and preparing to make our way into the valley. How was your journey? How fares the rest of Trothgard? I am glad to see that they sent more magic to assist us, it will make the coming fight all that more easy. Do you need to rest or can you push off soon? Ortus here was about to decide how long he wants to live and what he plans to do with his life if he does live. cup of tea while he compiles his answer?"

Hex moved to stir the coals and put some snow in the tea pot.
~
[i]The [b]Kona[/b] is dead, long live the [b]Witches[/b][/i]

Post by Guest »

OOC: Thanks, nice to meet you both!

IC

Irmgard tried not to leave her mouth hanging open as she stared, first at Ortus, then at the Guardian. The tale seemed unbelievable, but the evidence was splattered across the snow for all to read. Finally, Hex's comment about magic got through to her, and she blushed.

"I'm sorry to disappoint you, but magic... er, has never been my strong suit. If you need any hares hunted or beads carved..." she trailed off, grimacing at the stupidity of her words.

"Honestly, I don't know what I'm doing out here. They wouldn't tell me - just that I had to go. As crazy as it sounds, I feel like the Queen was guiding me to you, here."

She thought for another moment. "I'm ready to leave whenever you are. But I wouldn't say no to tea, first."
Maeve
The Dragon & Game Designer

Post by Maeve »

The Guardian approached her carefully, then sniffed the air around her, before breaking into a huge smile full of teeth, looking somewhat treathening. If he had had a tail he would have wagged it, as his large red tongue lolled out. His breath smelled of blood and raw flesh. "Anotherrrrrrrrrrrrr Daughterrrrrrrr, Prrrraise to the Queen," the white furred beast growled, "The winds of Ice is in yourrrrrrr hairrrrrrrr"

Ortus looked positively petulant but said nothing as he put on the kettle, filled with white snow, on the fire, quickly turning it into boiling water. A handful of tealeaves thrown into the brew created the much loved drink. the boy looked into the kettle and suddenly offered "I could read the tea leaves for you, when you have finished your cup. They say Dominicus writes your future in it."
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

Hex blinked a few times and then simply stared towards the valley. Beads….not magic…beads. My Queen you work in mysterious ways.

“Yes Irmgard, the Queen works in mysterious ways and she has pulled us all here to do her work. Is there something besides bead work and hunting rabbits you do? I see you have a sling, which is good. Wood will become scarce sooner than later but pellets of ice will be in abundance. Perhaps Ashilda can work with the ice to carve some runes upon them. This will be good. I think our friend the Guardian likes you.”

Hex paused while Ortus spoke. Rubbing her brow and sighing.

“I have heard of this tea leave reading before, in other lands as well as this one. I think the skill is within you Ortus, not from Dominicus. I see you also have skills beyond what you have shown us. I will not force you from your religious path Ortus, but do tread lightly. Do not think I will let you go without an answer, I hope you choose wisely, you are proving most useful.”
~
Ashilda da'Svafa

As Irmgard joined them around the small fire, Ashilda touched her arm reassuringly. "One thing I can almost guarentee you about this quest," she murmured. "You'll find yourself discovering and developing skills you never thought you had!" She grinned at her cousin, then slipped her hand into the pocket at her waist and withdrew a length of leather thong with two pebbles tied to it. She should have this, she decided. I can take my chances with the double-runed amulet, but Irmgard is even less prepared to deal with this fight than I am!

Taking the young woman's hand in her own, she folded it around the charm. "This will help keep you safe," she explained. "When it comes to the battle, you can trigger its protections by saying..." She dropped her voice to a whisper, leaning forward slightly so that only Irmgard would hear her say, "Hippogryph." Straightening, she added in more normal tones, "Best if you tie it around your wrist, or into your necklace if you're wearing one. You won't lose it that way."

She bit her lip as she considered Hex's words, then shook her head. "I don't think I can scribe any more runes just now," she apologised. "Not if I'm to be able to function for the rest of the day. This morning's efforts left me feeling wrung out like a washed shirt. But we might be able to do something..." She pulled her quiver from the sled again, and drew out three of the arrows she had bound with rune-chips. Cutting the bindings, she handed the three pieces of scribed bark to her cousin. "They won't
fly as true as proper sling pellets, but they will serve as an additional method of attack for you. While you may not actually turn someone to ice with them, since they are more likely to strike and drop, you can at least freeze the ground at their feet and give Hex and the Guardian more time to work their own wonders." Again she leaned forward and gave the woman the words that would trigger the small missiles, then moved to accept the tea that had been made.

Gancing at Ortus, she raised one eyebrow in question as she took her mug and began to sip at the hot tea. It was welcome warmth, and the longer rest was just as welcome. "Reading tea leaves?" she asked curiously. "This Dominicus is a very strange god if he chooses to scribe his prophecies in something as changable as wet leaves in a mug. Why, I could change the pattern of those leaves just by giving the mug a hard shake!" She chuckled, shaking her head as she swallowed the last of the tea, then peered into the mug. There were several clumps of leaves in the bottom, and she held it out to the young man. "Do what you will," she told him.
Last edited by Ashilda da'Svafa on Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

Hex saw Ashilda move to give up her runes from the arrows to Irmgard.

"The gesture is nice Ashilda, and I know you are tired from your weaving of power but I think it best that you hold those runes with the arrows. We will need to be efficient if it come to a fight. I am sure Irmgard will find her role as we both did. I was referring to a later battle that will surely come. It may be well into Yulember or Darkenry before we make it to the Queen. We will have many conflicts in that time. Perhaps Ortus can give us a idea of what they will be, humm Ortus?"
~

Post by Guest »

Irmgard took a half-step back as the Guardian approached, but stood quietly as he inspected her. Finding herself meeting with his approval, she broke into a wide smile. "Thank you, Guardian." She found herself rummaging in a pocket for one of the dried treats she fed the dogs, and quickly realized how stupid it would be to toss one to this great beast. She settled for holding out her hand to him, hoping the gesture translated.

She thanked Ashilda and tied the amulets securely around her wrist. When Hex asked Ashilda to scribe more, she took a closer look at them. "You did these? I thought you had to... um, I thought your mother wasn't letting you study yet. They look like the ones she makes."

Irmgard wrapped her hands around the mug of tea and blew on it a little.

When Hex asked what else she could do, she frowned, thinking. "Well, if we all live through this, I could spin the tale to the little children around the night-fires, but perhaps it's early to be thinking of that yet. I can track for you, and find food, and set up shelter, although it seems you have those last two in hand. Maybe a clue is hidden in one of the old tales, or maybe it's something new I'm supposed to find." She sipped her tea again. "I hope I'm not wrong, at least, in thinking that it was you I was supposed to find. It feels right; I just don't know why yet."
Ashilda da'Svafa

Ashilda looked slightly sheepish as she replied, "Well, she didn't. I still have no formal training in runescribing, only what I picked up over the years from listening t them talk." Her voice was tinged with bitterness, but then she seemed to throw off the mood and flashed her cousin a quick grin. "Necessity forces our hand sometimes, though, and the Queen seems willing to grant me the ability to channel her power a little in the interests of protecting our land." Gesturing to the bow secured to one of the sleds, she added wryly, "Mother gave me that before I left Rimehold, and told me what the runes carved into it were for. So I copied them. I'm not sure how long mine will stay effective thogh, which is why I suggest you leave it until the last flicker before the battle is joined to activate them."
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

The Guardian sniffed at Imgards hand, before gladly taking of the treat from her. He sat a bit away from the fire, munching it silently as the women had their tea. Ortus was staring at Irmgard with wonder and interest on his young face.

In the distance the shield over the valley remained an attraction, fading and coming again in full strength.
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

As Ortus played in the tea leaves Hex watched the shield fading in and out. paying half an eye to the goings on in the camp Hex moved to make sure all the dogs and sleds were ready for the trip.

In a way Hex was glad everyone else was distracted, it gave her time to meditate and reach out around her for the power. Moving slightly away from the others Hex brought herself into focus and attuned herself with the Queen.
~

Post by Guest »

OOC: Thought I could get around it, but I may as well accept the fact - I just don't have Internet access most of the time on weekends, so I'll only be able to post M-F. Just a heads-up.

IC:

Irmgard studiously ignored the man in a dress. She didn't know what he was doing there, she didn't want to know, and she wished she had never seen him or his people. She fixed him with an icy glare when she noticed him looking at her, and walked over to check the dogs, making sure everything was ready for a quick departure.

[OOC edit: Heh - I forgot, although now that you mention it, I do recall you changing him. :)]
Last edited by Guest on Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

OOC:No problem with the weekdays. Ortus is in a deer skin dress btw. Think Hex let him hang about in that white robe thing?

:wink:

H.
~
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

Hex could feel the presence of her Queen in every snowflake, in the cold breeze against her cheek. It now had become a steady whisper in her mind whenever she chose to concentrate; a stern yet loving presence. As the warrior priestess attuned herself to her goddess she could feel the urgency in the frozen air, the need to move forward.

Ortus did not answer Hex still, yet he had started to behave in the manner she suggested, still looking slightly petulant, and stealing a glance at Irmgard every now and then, while he packed the last of their packs and cleaned the bandages of the Guardian one last time. The white haired beast felt ready for travel, insisting with a growl that he would not be on a sled for the remainder of their journey. Ortus adjusted his deer skin dress ever now and then, uncomfortable with its rough touch upon his skin. Once or twice he opened his mouth, about to say something, then closed it again, grimly. Once he made a curious sign in front of his chest, just before they departed. Not once did he meet Hex's eyes.

Off they were, towards the hidden valley Fronigtalle that had called to them over such a distance. It still took them a full mark before they reached the pass that would allow them entrance. Ashilda could not recall the forcefield though perhaps it had been there, quite invisible, all that time. Now made to be seen it was clear that it was not just a physical boundary, but it actually contained a different climate zone within, as if stepping outside of time. Inside the shield it was the height of summer. It was green everywhere.
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

Hex felt no joy in seeing her beloved valley. Inside she was starting to feel the urgency of the Queen, her Queen. When the Queen said hurry, well you had better hop to it. As soon as they stopped the sleds on the brink of the shield, Hex quickly stripped out of her winter skins and furs to her chain mail and padding. The padding would be sufficient for the quick jump to the summer temperature inside the shield. Hex said nothing while she prepared, looking to the various members of her little crew. Giving the beast a sly wink and a grin Hex breathed in deep.

Sometimes being the driving force, leader, captain or any other title that you would like to insert, sucked. The time had come and Hex knew what she must do but for her it sucked for reasons that it may not have sucked for another. For Hex it was the fact that it could make her look like a blood thirsty savage in font of her friends.

Leaving her glaive by her sled, Hex moved over to Ortus and grabbed him by the hair with her left hand while her right hand brought one of her daggers to his throat.

“Hi. I have put up with you impudence for long enough. I ask you a question and now you will answer. No answer will be taken as an answer for the negative. I will not be cruel, you will be dead before you hit the ground. I have more important things to do then fool around with you. Which will it be?”
Last edited by Hex da`Bergliin on Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
~
Ashilda da'Svafa

As they rode towards the shielded valley, Ashilda kept her mind focussed on driving her sled. Soon they would arrive, and another battle would be fought. For her land and her goddess, she would kill as she had already killed, but the thought left her with a sick feeling every time she let it catch her. This was not the path I sought, she told herself, even as she recalled that those skilled in runelore were often called upon to help defend their people from attack. Why, it was only recently that her mother had gone out with a hunting party to lay magickal traps for the Ice Trolls that had been encroaching on Rimehold. The hunters showed no mercy towards the beasts, so it was unlikely that the traps were designed only to subdue.

She was brought out of her reverie as the sled in front of her slowed to a halt, and she looked up to find them near the strange bubble that surrounded the valley. Looking through it she could seee the lush greenery of Fronigtalle, slightly distorted in her vision by the shimmering field. She bit her lip as she studied it. Had it been here when she came this way on her Rite? She didn't remember seeing it, but seeing the way it contained the one small spot of warmth in this frozen land, she felt sure that it must have been. Was it these strange men that had done something to it to render it visible to mortal eyes? Were they trying to destroy it? They want to destroy the hippogryphs, Ortus said... They would surely perish if they weren't sheltered by the Queen's protection here. The thought of those majestic creatures dying in the cold drew the young woman's stomach into a fierce knot.

Seeing Hex remove her heavy cloak, she murmured agreement at the wisdom of the descision. They might not have time for such niceties once they were inside, and to fight in furs within the Valley would tire them quickly. She did the same, then took up her quiver and secured it to her. If she had to leave the sled in a hurry, she didn't want to risk spilling the precious arrows in her haste. She looked towards Hex, thinking to ask if the woman thought it a good time to move forward, but was stopped in her tracks as she watched her companion grasp Ortus roughly and hold a knife to his throat. The words died on her tongue and she glanced warningly at Irmgard as it ocurred to her that interference at this point might be a bad idea. There was no knowing what sort of craze had come over the warrior, but she didn't want to have it transfer to the rest of the party.
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

Ortus paled in Hex's arms, breaking out a sweat "Mila... Hex.. please.." Tears welled up in the boy's eyes. He couldn't have been older than sixteen yahren the warrior priest realized, maybe even younger.. a mere acolyte. "I will not betray you. When I surrendered I already gave up any hope of being accepted back. They will brand me a sinner and put me to an Ordeal of Fire." A dry sniff came from his troath "and I am.. for giving up.. but I can't help myself.. I want to live." The boy swallowed "Please Hex.. let me live. It is all I have right now. I even lost my faith. I will help you in whatever wretched way you want me to."

Behind them the Guardian was slowly growling, his eyes fixed with suspicion on Ortus.

Beyond the forcefield, which they crossed easily, the weather was distinctly warmer. Those that had traveled abroad recognized the warm land climate of Kislovan or Dort. It was likely the area was rich with game, and already the Guardian was putting his nose in the wind, sniffing.
Ashilda da'Svafa

Ashilda wrinkled her nose at the young man's pleading, although there was a part of her that could not hlep but sympathise. Hex in this mood seemed a terrible instrument of vengence, and she found herself shuddering as she remembered the way the woman had thrown herself into battle with such fierce joy. It is what she has trained for, she reminded herself sternly. Where would we be now if Hex wasn't such a warrior? Not caring much for the possible answers to that question, she returned her attention to her companions.

"I suppose that means he's still yours for now, Hex," she told the older woman with wry humour. "Decide how much freedom you'll allow him, but then we'd better move on. The Guardian suggested that morningtide would be the best time to confront them, and that's slipping away." She knew that she was talking about Ortus as though he were a slave, and knew too that this was a bad attitude for her to have given the changes the Kona had decreed, but if he was not exactly a slave, neither was he exactly free. A captive, certainly, at least until this business was at an end.

Glancing towards her cousin, she added, "The boy spoke of plans to slaughter the hippogryphs. The sooner we dissuade them from that idea, the better. There is one in particular that I would see safe." Her lips curved in warm rememberance, even as she wondered if she would recognise the noble creature that had carried her from the Valley - or if he would remember her.
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

Hex relaxed slightly and removed the blade from Otus’s neck. Not releasing her grip Hex turned the boy to face her.

“I will not betray you. You have spoken these words. If you do in any way I will stake you to the ground and watch the dogs eat your soft spots. Given up? Lost your faith? That was quick. You will live Ortus. You are a free man of sorts, you just have to stay with me is all, unless after all of this I send you upon your way to where ever you want to go. For now you are under my protection and watch. May the queen see you fit to live. “

With that Hex released her grip and reversed it to his dress front. Pulling the boy to his feet Hex once again looked into the boy’s eyes. “Trust is earned Ortus. Think of what you want for the future. Think, the world will soon be your paper and you the quill.”

Hex walked away from him then and into the glade, not looking back.
“The dogs will be slower on the grass, but that will give us time to prepare for the unknown. Perhaps the Guardian would like to do some hunting for us? Hum my friend? Everyone keep your eyes open for anything. Perhaps we can find some of these Legionnaires and get Ortus some proper clothes.”

Looking back at the lad..

“I would like you to wretchedly help me find yourself, and who you really are. Do not think of me as some back woods pagan uncouth fool. I know you have not surrendered, at least not totally. I think this is good, at least you have spirit. Your life will be a good one boy, now stop looking glum and breath in the fresh air, we will not be here for long.”

Hex walked on looking and feeling for anything wrong or out of place.
~
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

The Guardian grinned wolvishly at Hex "Yes, daughterrrrrrrrr I will do as you say." He trodded of to the side. Despite the relative heat he maintained his speed. Of course, with his white fur he stood out more in the green surroundings. Half way he turned and looked at Irmgard "Come daughterrrrrrrr, hunt by my side."

Another grim surprise awaited the little team: grass and sleeds were less compatible that one would think, especially with all the rocks amongst the grass. It was quickly apparant that it would be faster to walk than to drag along this dead weight. Ortus was quick to point this out, disgusted by the inefficiency of the sleds and not culturally attached to them like perhaps the women were "Pish. We should walk," he muttered just loud enough to be heard "With all the noise we are making the legions scout will have found us in no time. Seeking some cover seems like a good idea. We are rather standing out against the mountains."
Ashilda da'Svafa

Ashilda grimaced in annoyance as the sleds began to buck at catch on the ground once they left the smooth expanse of snow. The same expression was turned on Ortus as he pointed this out and she took a deep breath to calm herself before she spoke.

"He has a point," she told her companions. "There is little of stealth or surprise in our current movement, and I think we would all prefer it if we were the ones to choose the time and place of a confrontation. We'll have to leave the sleds, and hide them." She pulled one of her packs from her sled and swiftly began to empty it. As she worked, she spoke as much to herself as to Hex and Irmgard. "Warm clothing is not such a need here, but we should take food and water and our weapons. It will be easier to keep from being noticed if we do not have to stop and hunt." She was suiting action to words, filling the small pack with the food and waterskins that had been gifted her by the folk of Grimkell when she set out into the mountains.

A thought struck her and she looked up at the other two women. "Should we take one or two of the dogs, do you think? They may be useful."
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

Hex looked back to the group and frowned at the progress of the dogs and sleds.

"Cut them all loose if you want or keep them. The choice is yours, we do not need them anymore. As for the element of surprise, do these Legions have any ranged weapons? Ortus? Surprise is an element needed to ambush or to gain an upper hand over an enemy whom one feels inferior to. Do you feel inferior when standing on the Queen's land?"

Hex looked back and smiled at the group, her sly wicked smile. Laughing...

"Even I would like an advantage over one hundred trained soldiers. The Guardian will be hunting out there for more than tonights supper. He is superior in this matter, the upper hand will be ours and then one more aspect of this ugliness will be over. Anyone spotted one of the hippogryphs yet?"

Hex gave Ortus a wink as she reached out to feel for disturbances in the flow of power, and for signs of the hippogryphs.
~
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

OOC: I'm sorry, I was waiting for Irmgard, but as she's not coming I'll NPC her for now.

IC: As Hex suggested Irmgard went with the Guardian and they quickly prowled out of sight.

"Yes, milady," Ortus replied calmly, trying not to led Hex get to him again "they will fill intimidated by the wickedness of this place, a valley amidst the snow housing the daemons of the Nether. Perhaps the daemons have already struck them dead? Or the soldiers struck down the flying daemons with their crossbows. Have you ever seen a crossbow? It is so much more powerful than a mere longbow."

The young boy shrugged and went towards the dogs to cut them loose "Perhaps taking a few for protection?" He offered hesitantly, looking about to see if perhaps the daemons were flying towards them.
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

OOC: No problem

IC:

Hex glanced back at Ortus and smiled.

"No Ortus, let them go. You will not need them for protection form the Legions nor the daemons and they will be no good against me."

Hex gave the boy a wink.

"I have heard of this weapon called a crossbow. I understand it is a powerful weapon that throws a bolt instead of an arrow. A weapon with a lot of punch with if the stories I know serve me well, indeed they could hurt the hippogriffs. Hippogriffs by the way, not daemons or what ever you called them. Like a horse with wings, and well claws..."

Hex paused and looked about for any signs of anything...

"Be done with the dogs and let us move in a bit to see what we can see. Perhaps we will find tracks of passage. The Guardian knows I intended to move in a bit, let us walk for a few marks and see if any signs make themselves known to us. Well keep some dogs or not, if you do they are your ward to care for and I will see them as yours. Again the choice is yours but let us make it and be done with it."

Hex picked up her heavy pack and her gear as she prepared to move. As the others made to make their decisions about the dogs, Hex practiced bringing up a wind, fore shadowing to ways to deal with the potential of the crossbows.
~
Ashilda da'Svafa

OOC: Hopefully Irmgard's absence is just for Real Life reasons and not that we scared her off... :?

IC:

Ashilda clenched her teeth together at Ortus' casual talk of killing the "daemons" in the valley. She heartily hoped that at some point in the day's events, the young man would have a chance to meet one of the Queen's creatures up close. She wasn't sure, however, what she hoped would be the outcome of such a meeting - friendship or lunch.

Nodding curtly to Hex's directions, she shouldered her pack and unclipped the lead dog from the harness of her sled. The powerfully-built animal had already shown his worth as a hunter and protector when she had been tracking the da'Bergliin, and she felt better for having such a mass of muscle and sinew pacing beside her. Making sure her quiver and bow were secured to her as well, she moved up beside the warrior as they entered the valley. Her senses strained to detect anything out of the ordinary that might suggest that the invaders were near.

As they moved forward, she fitted an arrow to the string - not one of the runed arrows, though, since she wanted to save them for when they would count most.

Return to “Trothgard Archive”