Icy Quest, part III: The Fate of Fronigtalle (Sam 22nd)

Moderators: Vanadius, Mods

Maeve
The Dragon & Game Designer

Icy Quest, part III: The Fate of Fronigtalle (Sam 22nd)

Post by Maeve »

While the valley with the shimmering shield around it appeared close by, it was late in the day, and they were forced to make camp just before reaching the edge, comfortably away from the wreck of the ship. "It is beterrrrrrr, daughterrrrrrrr of Ice," the Guardian reassured Hex "to arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrive at morrrrrrrrrrrrningtide. Our sense of smell will worrrrrrrrrrrrk beterrrrrrr, and ourrrrrrrr injurrrrrrrries more healed." It was a long coversation for the quiet monster and he was silent for long thereafter. He was not able to hunt yet and that seemed to thug at his heart as he watched prey play nearby in the snow.

Ortus was unsure of himself, huddling near the fire and looking once or twice like he might open his mouth but thinking the better of it. He redressed the Guardians wounds when the camp was fully made.

Hex and Ashilda both escaped their ordeal with nearly no injuries save for some cuts and bruises, but the day had left them both dreadfully tired.

After a quiet eveningtide and a silent gravetide, the next morningtide announced itself with a shining blue sky , with no storms in the offing

OOC: and so we confirm to the Synch Event ;)
Feel free to add your own thoughts and things for the time we covered.
Last edited by Maeve on Sat Jul 09, 2005 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

Post by Hex da`Bergliin »

OOC: Well I have been waiting for a long time for that encounter and character progression. I would like to thank you for the opportunity. I also really enjoy the thread we are on. I feel important to what is happening on a larger scale, and that feels good. :)

IC:

Hex was drained from the encounter the night before. Drained in a good way though. Her manipulation of the Queens power was an intoxicating experience and anything that was as intoxicating as that needed to be treated with the respect that it demanded.

Hex pondered her next moves. The investigation of the valley was next on her mental check list, as it was most probably on Ashilda's. The whereabouts of a small invading force that was not outfitted for this climate was a curiosity at best. The Queen though was still at the forefront of her mind. What would she ask of her now? Hex pondered this as she worked her way through her morning fight drills. Felling the burn in her muscles she stoped and moved to a quiet place to look within herself and meditate in prayer for a more clear direction.

She still felt the draw to the north. So be it, North it is. Moving back to the main group, now getting ready for the day's travel..

"Ashilda, do you have any plans after the valley? I was also wondering what you wanted to do about our acquisition in Ortus."

Turning to the man, boy really...

"So, anything to say for yourself this fine morning under the Queen's sky?"
~
[i]The [b]Kona[/b] is dead, long live the [b]Witches[/b][/i]
Ashilda da'Svafa

Post by Ashilda da'Svafa »

When they made camp after the fight, it was all Ashilda could do to pitch in with the necessary chores. Her attempts to channel the Queen's energy into runes before the fight had tired her, but her efforts afterwards had left her feeling as though all the juice had been wrung out of her. She had created several more chips and, rather than bind them to arrows (which would waste perfectly good arrows now that she need not keep such a distance), she simply wedged them into the cracks that had already formed between the boards before standing back and activating them. The results had been satisfying, and it was fairly certain that no one would find much use for the structure exept perhaps as firewood once it thawed.

Satisfying, too, had been the feeling that she was learning to manipulate those energies better. It had grown easier with each attempt, but she was still a far cry from the ease with which her mother could carve such simple runes. She lay in her bedroll that night and meditated for a short while to clear her mind before dropping into an exhausted sleep.

When day dawned, she looked again at the bubble-enclosed valley nearby and tried to decide if it looked the right direction for Fronigtalle. It was a disturbing thought: that these foreigners should be inside th sacred valley already, profaning it with their presence and their arrogant god. She was scowling as she bundled her things together for the day's trip and began to fix breakfast while Hex did her morning workout.

The woman's approach startled her, and she looked up from her task with a softened expression. Shrugging, she replied, "Nothing that could be called a plan, really. All I know is that I want to find out the reason behind this sickness in our land and fix it if I can. If these travellers are the cause, then we will deal with them as we did yesterday. If they are merely a part of the whole, then we will see the whole after they have been removed from the valley." She smiled wryly at her companion and aded, "Since you seem to feel the will of the Goddess more strongly than I, I'm content to let you lead for the time being and just lend what aid I can."

Thinking about what aid she could provide led to another thought and she mused out loud, "Perhaps I could make us something that would offer protection? We may need it, if there is to be another battle like yesterdy's."
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

Hex looked hard at Ashilda.

"Do not underestimate your own powers and connections with the Queen. She has shown you her hand and she has given you the strength of her rage to do her bidding. You asked, she gave, so do not think that you are weaker than any. You must start to walk as a woman who represents the Queen. We are given her power in different ways, that is all. Making something that offers protection would be good. I once knew a man who was very good in single combat, much more so than these robed men were. We are but a small party and perhaps it would be a wise thing to have protection if we are to encounter many more of these men during our journey. I am glad you are here Ashilda, very glad."

Turing from the young woman Hex brought her gaze back over Ortus.

"Did you hear boy? You are mine for the bidding? Now what do you have to say this fine morning? I will not repeat myself a third time nor wait too many burns for an answer."
~
Ashilda da'Svafa

Ashilda nodded gratefully, Hex's words of encouragement striking home and lifting her spirits. It was true that she had been given the power to strike back against these foreigners, far more power than one without any formal training should expect to wield. Perhaps it was also true that the Ice Queen had guided her this far. She had been frustrated and disappointed at the lack of response she felt during her Rite of Passage, but what if that were a deliberate action by the Queen to force her to go in search of the source of the strangeness?

After all, she thought, I would have simply returned to Rimehold if I had been granted my feather. I wouldn't have ridden the hippogryph out of the valley and gone to Grimkell, and I wouldn't have treked back into the mountains and joined up with Hex and the Guardian. A shiver ran through her at the thought. After all, the Guardian had been sorely wounded in that battle. Would the results have been even worse if there had only been the two of them facing the foreign soldiers and their leader?

Pushing that sobering thought away, she gave Hex a small smile. "You are right, I must try harder to act the part of a woman. It's just..." She grimaced and put a hand to the braids at her temple where the Clanhood feather would hang, and sighed. "I feel the lack of it. I had focussed on it for so long - on gaining the tangible proof that I was an adult - that it is difficult to think of myself as one while my braids are sporting nothing but ribbons. Still, I will do what I can. I will try and make us something to keep us a little safer, and then we shall head over to that bubbled valley and meet the rest of Ortus' folk."

She gave the young man a sour glance as she rose to her feet, then headed for the treeline to find some more bark chips that she could scribe. It would be nice, she reflected, to be good enough at channeling the power of the runes that she could use something a little more hard-wearing. Chips of bark were fine for flinging a short-lived offensive rune, but she would prefer to make amulets out of something less likely to fall apart. Despite the favour that the Goddess had shown her this far, however, she was reluctant to push her luck. Better that the amulets were fragile but worked, rather than long-lasting but void of power.

As she searched, she contemplated what runes she would use. She had seen a few protective amulets in the past, and had studied the runes that were carved on the doorway-posts of most tents, and she turned her mind to remembering the forms of the runes and what she had been told some of them meant in order to find one or two that would be suitable.
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

Ortus had been checking the wounds of the Guardian and he looked up with a start, his young eyes large "Forgive me, mistress, but what do you want me to say?" he said hesitantly, definately not wanting to get on Hex's bad side.

Ashilda found her chips of bark, as well as a small stream with melted water, possibly generated from within the bubble. In its wake she saw round pebbles and some sanded pieces of wood, as if time and determination had taken off the edges. As she considered the objects she remembered words whispered at the fire of the wise women when she was a child. How runes were deceptively simple. A single motion, a single thought, with as little interference by human hands as possible. Hence the natural materials, touched only by the force of the Queen. In fact.. the more her elements touched the material, the more it was supposed to be blessed, shaped by her own hands.

OOC: Thank you Hex, you are making me blush :oops:
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]
Ashilda da'Svafa

Weighing the stones and pieces of nature-smoothed wood in her hands, a slow smile crept over Ashilda's face. These will be perfect, she thought gleefully. She collected the bark chips as well, however, deciding that if she had time she would make some more rune-chips to send the power of ice along with her arrows.

Kneeling on her cloak at the edge of the stream, she laid the items around her and swiftly began to undo a few of her long braids so that she could use the leather thongs that bound them to hang her amulets from. She took from the back of her head, so that the loose hair would not get in her way as she worked. Looking over her collection, she drew the stick from her pocket once more and clasped it in front of her. Bowing her head and letting her eyes drift shut, she began with a prayer to the Goddess.

Great Queen of Ice, accept the thanks and devotion of one of your children. I, Ashilda da'Svafa, daughter of your servant Anushka da'Svafa, give thanks to you for allowing me to touch the barest edges of your great power in order to drive this blight from our fair land. I do my best to prove myself worthy of this great honour.

From this simple but heartfelt prayer, she emptied her mind and reached for the meditative state that would make her a vessel for the power needed to scribe the runes. It was easier this time, with no anger to cloud her mind and without the same pressing urgency of her first attempt the previous day. Her heartbeat and breathing both slowed and she felt herself grow very still. Sounds and smells seemed crisper and clearer, but she did not focus on them. Instead she waited until she felt the flow of warmth and power through her. Only then did she open her eyes and reach for the first item.

She began by making another ice rune in a bark chip. It was familiar work by now, and would relax her mind and fingers to their task. Only when that was done did she reach for a piece of smooth wood. She held it in her hand for a moment, getting a feel for it as she brought the rune she wanted to mind. It had been while she had searched that she realised that she had the perfect runes available to her - the runes carved into her bow. The first two, she had been told, were for luck and protection. So she would start with the rune of protection and then see if she could add the luck rune to it. She wasn't sure if her skills would allow her to add two strong runes to a single item, but she had enough collected items that she could treat the first one as an experiment. If it didn't work, she would simply make each of them two amulets.

It was also be a good idea, she decided, to bind each one to a different trigger word - and that different from the ones that triggered the ice-chips. Less chance of an accident that way. And the one for the Guardian would have to be a short, simple word without an "r". There was no telling what would happen if his odd accent caused him to mispronounce the word. Most likely nothing, but it was better not to take the chance. This decided, she took a deep breath and began inscribing the first rune of protection.
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

OOC: :)

Hex looked at the young boy and shook her head. Her thoughts drifted back to those times that she was away from Trothgard, a woman amongst men. That time was proving to be invaluable for it was allowing Hex insight into the perspective of a male from outside of the isle. Hex looked at Ortus, a young man taken part in a quest he thought was true and just in the name of some wizard or god-thing that Hex was unfamiliar with. He was brought to the isle due to a storm, a storm that blew them off-course from their intended target. he never wanted to anger the Queen, or Hex for that matter. He simply wound up in the wrong place at the wrong time and met the wrong woman.

"[Sigh]...Ortus, I want you to speak to me of your view of your predicament. I wish to know your feelings on the events of the past tides and i want to know what you want. Perhaps I can help put some of your thoughts into perspective. Firstly, you are mine. Although we, for some reason I do not understand, have decided that we, that is Trothgard, will no longer participate in slavery, you are as such my prisoner. Now, you are worth the effort to feed because of two things. One, your skill in healing. Two, your knowledge of the legions, this Great One and what in the frozen wastes you are doing here, and elsewhere. So until I decide that you are no-longer of use to me, I will not kill you for food, so do not worry about that. All that being said you are coming with me and I am going to a place that no one wants to go to. We go to the valley before us to see what if anything remains of your legions of men, and then I go to have tea with the Queen, or something like that. Perhaps though we will stop off at the Guardian's home, who knows."

Hex paused to study the boy and look around at her companions. Hex also was taking the time to study Ortus's healing techniques and skills. She knew that she had skills and knowledge to learn from the boy and knowing how to patch one's self or another in a fight was a good one. It seemed that she had spared the right one after all.

"Really, I just want to know your thoughts, you must have some..."
~
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

Ortus carefully nodded to Hex "I understand mistress. I am grateful to be alive. I do not understand your question though. I cannot tell you where the legions are. The 150 soldiers that were with us marched into that valley, after the priests removed the shield somehow... I can tell you though that the valley was not our original goal. We were supposed to have landed on a small island filled with fearies..." Ortus voice became slightly dreamy and dropped away for a moment as if he was lost in thought. Then he woke back to his grim reality and hurriedly continued his story "However, the valley contains big animals, half bird half something else. They were declared demons. One of the priests came back to tell us . The commander of the bataljon assigned to our ship has marched to do battle upon them and banish them back to the Nether."

The boy eyed Hex, afraid for another outburst before carefully adding "Milady, forgive me for my presumption, but how are you going to take on 150 soldiers, give or take a few. Your prowess is great, but that sounds like suicide."

Ashilda quietly worked away in the distance. She found that she was gradually becoming more adapt at transferring energy to the bark. Little tingling feeling of energy flowed from her environment through her body, causing the heat and the tingling, and into the runes. If she half closed her eyes it was almost as if she could see it, the energy throbbing with a heartbeat.

When Ashilda tried to apply a second run it was almost as if the material was struggling with her and she had to use her own personal strength to push through. It was a very tiring task and left her thristy as if she had spend an eveningtide drinking and woke up the next morning. Drained.
Ashilda da'Svafa

As Ashilda begn working, she reveled in the feeling of the energy flowing through her and allowing her to shape it to her desires. The more accustomed she grew to binding the energy into the runes, the more clearly she could feel it and sense that reservoire of power that she was learning to tap.

When she carved the first rune into the piece she would make an amulet, she was pleased to feel the thrum of power beneath her fingers. It indicated that she had formed the rune correctly, and it had become a vessel for that power. The same could not be said for the carving of the second rune, however. It was just like the experince of trying to make a chip of bark to create fire, although the nature of the reisstance was slightly different. Is this your way of telling me I am not yet ready for this, my Queen? she asked silently.

The young crafter considered the amulet for a moment. She had managed to complete the rune, but she didn't yet have the experience to tell if the resistance she had felt while scribing it would make a difference to the way it worked. Frowning, she put it to one side. It would do for an emergency - sometimes a slim chance was preferable to no chance. Instead, she would create two amulets for everyone: one with the rune f protection and another with a rune for luck.

Closing her eyes, she took a few more deep breaths as she sought once more for the trance-like state that would open her to the Goddess' power. She put the thought of the first amulet from her mind, accepting the lesson and making it a part of herself. There would be time later for experimentation, perhaps, but now she needed something that was assured to invoke the Ice Queen's blessing and protection. When she felt sufficiently calm and could once again feel the thrum of power in the land around her, she reached for a second piece of polished wood and began to carefully carve the rune of protection. She would make a pair of amulets for each of them: Hex, the Guardian, Ortus, and herself. Once that was done, she would use whatever time was left until Hex wanted to move out to fill the rest of her bark chips with ice runes.
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

Hex eyed the boy and let slip a small smile.

"Indeed, did the priest go back to the valley? Are these legions supported by more priests? As for your question, I don't plan to take on 150 legionnaires, give or take a few. I suspect that they are all dead already. It seems that whomever is behind your cause needs to be better educated on the ways of others."

Hex had enough to go on and wanted to be off to the valley. Snapping the dog teams into shape she started to break camp.

"How are you Ashilda?, does the Queen speak strongly to you today?"
~
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

Ashilda finished her work feeling very, very tired. She had done it though, a collection of amulets to spread around. Of course she knew that doing any more runescribing would be out of the question for marks to come.

Ortus sighed 'No milady, the priests withdrew, protecting the ship. I thought I told you that before. It is just the legions that face your wrath in the valley. You and those monsters.' The boy shuddered as if he had seen gripphons from close up, for of course the ignorant boy had been describing these creatures of the queen.
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

Hex looked over to Ashilda and upon seeing that she was exhausted decided to combine the dog teams into one, at least for a while. Letting the young woman rest, Hex broke the camp and moved the group towards the valley.

Thinking back over the events of the past few weeks many things exhilarated Hex and at the same time she found much to be very disturbing. The killing of the old woman and the words of the young male stuck with her. She knew that there was something rotten in Trothgard and that extended beyond this valley and the ship. In Hex's mind these men were more of a worm that had found a rotten apple. What happened? Why did the Queen withdraw her favor?

The sun was reaching high above her as she contemplated these and many other questions. She knew that change was going to wash over the isle like a ill wind and that the ways of her people were going to change forever. She contemplated the two males she had met in Dort. One a proud and respectful warrior in Gavin, and the other a ruthless and power hungry man in Zarias. Hex turned her mind over and over thinking of the various interactions that had taken place away from this barren home of hers. The conflict that she saw was the clash of ideologies with regards to gender, specifically the fact that in Trothgard the role of men and woman were the reverse of that of the rest of the know world. At least as far as she knew.

The truth then is that the Kona and all those oh so wise women were going to have to find a way to be more inclusive of the men in the running of Trothgard, else there was going to be more and more problems as the influence form off the isle continued to wash ashore. All pay homage to the Queen, as they should. This is the Queen's land and we all are her people. She extends her power through the female but that does not mean the male has no role, nor a role that cannot be expanded..

Hex's thoughts drifted around the connections between the Queen and the people as she mushed the dogs on. Soon her thoughts turned to focus on the Queen and her alone. No matter how many times she mulled it over things just would not add up. Something was happening with the Queen and there was only one way to find out and that was to find her palace and see for herself.

Hex let out a deep sigh as her plans started to gel together.

of course everything may change after the valley..

Hex pulled the dogs to a stop as mid-day approached.

"Let us stop for a few burns and have the mid-day meal. Ortus, how is your cooking? [pausing] I do not intend to humilate you with meanial tasks. At this point in the passing tides you are the enemy, this you know. I ask you questions over and over to glean any information out of them that I can. You appear to be what you are, but even of that I am unsure. I ask you to do these tasks to establish trust. That is why I ask of your future, if you would rather live of die to be more exact. If you choose live, your life will never be what you thought it was going to be and you will see things that you would never had would have seen had you not landed here. Then again you will be alive. So I ask again, can you cook?"
Last edited by Hex da`Bergliin on Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
~
Ashilda da'Svafa

Ashilda gave Hex a wan smile as she returned to the camp, the amulets hanging from the thongs she had taken out of her hair. "She does indeed," she replied. For all of the exhaustion in it, there was still a triumphant note in her voice. "She graced me with her strength, that I may make these for protection in the coming conflict. I do not know how long they will last, however, so it would be best if they weren't activated until the last moment." She placed an amulet in Hex's hand - two water-smoothed pebbles bound side by side on a thin strip of leather.

Leaning forward, she whispered to the woman the word of activation. It was an old word, seldom used these days by any but the priestesses, and it meant 'divine grace'. A fitting word, she thought, for one so favoured by the Queen. She repeated her actions for the Guardian, giving him his amulet and whispering the clipped syllable of his activation word, then returned to Hex. Nodding towards Ortus, she said, "He is yours, for the time being. Is it your wish that he should also have this protection?" If the woman's answer was affirmative, she would give the young man an amulet and tell him the activation word she had chosen for him. If not, she would slip the amulet back into the pouch at her waist and keep it for later.

She was grateful that Hex had combined the two sleds, sinking gratefully into the space between the packs and pulling her cloak around her. Leaning back, she closed her eyes and listened to Hex questioning their captive. At his words, she opened her eyes again and scowled at him. "If you see the Queen's creatures as monsters, it is only because you had the arrogance to invade their home. Who does not fight to defend their territory? And believe me, young man, the sacred valley is their territory in a way your kind could never understand." It didn't matter, at that moment, that she was probably several yahren younger than the one she addressed: in her eyes, he was little more than a wayward child who was speaking of things he had no true knowledge or understanding of.

Still frowning, she settled back and closed her eyes once more as they set out. The frown eased as she remembered the hippogryph that had carried her from Fronigtalle - the softness of its feathers, the intelligence in its sharp eye. Could I have asked it for a feather? she mused. It accepted my offering, after all. She considered this for a while, then shook her head. No, the Queen didn't show her acceptance first. To cheat the ritual would make the whole thing meaningless. But perhaps if we complete this task, she will be able to return her attention to her people once more. The thought heartened her, and she slipped into a doze for a while.

She woke when Hex called the stop, sitting up and arching her back to ease muscles cramped by her huddled posture on the back of the sled. Climbing to her feet, she watched with a small smile as Hex seemed ready to delegate the task of cooking their mid-meal to their young captive. She would wait for a bit, see how he answered, and if necessary she would offer to cook the meal herself. While she waited, however, she pulled her quiver from among their gear and prepared to bind the ice-chips she had made onto her arrows. I'll need more soon, she decided, looking into the quiver. The disadvantage to fighting like this is that you can't salvage many of them afterwards. Still, it was a good technique. It ensured that an indirect hit or even a near miss could be effective, and it put the fear of the Goddess into these outsiders. And if we win, perhaps they will have supplies that we can take... She shook her head as if to dislodge the thought. One thing at a time. Before they could consider acquiring supplies from their opponents, they had to find a way to win.
Last edited by Ashilda da'Svafa on Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

Hex was waiting for Ortus to respond before she made known the possibility of the amulet. There was much there that could go wrong and it was too soon to have too much trust. The revival of the dome was a good sign and Hex's spirits were high. She reached out to touch the power of the Queen practicing her connections and trying to feel the subtle points within the power. All was still very new to her and she did not wish to make mistakes when she needed to count on her power, and her connection to it.
~
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

Ortus looked a bit sullen, but he nodded firmly, and the understanding was clear in his eyes "Yes Mistress, I will cook tonight." He gave her a respectful half bow and made his way to the fire, inspecting what food they had left. The Guardian had not hunted again and so they were depended on what Ashilda and Hex had brought along on their travels.

Meanwhile the valley called to them, its shield flickering lightly now and again, as if something was still disturbing the force. The Queen's breath touched Hex' cheek.

OOC: apologies for the delay, fully back in the saddle now :)
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

Hex looked to Ortus and sighed. She was glad that she did not have to kill the boy today. She knew that such an act would most likely not sit well with Ashilda. The boy was the enemy, and his role in this mess was yet to be determined.

The Guardian had been unusually quiet and Hex simply let him rest to heal up from his wounds.

Hex stretched and loosened her muscles as she felt herself becoming tense. The valley was calling and an uncertain fate awaited them. Hex no longer felt like the young girl who had left, nor did she feel like the woman who returned. She had felt the change within her like the changes within the season. She could feel that she was less impulsive and more focused. Perhaps it was the touch of the power that had grounded her. Regardless, she now felt that she was a woman bound by duty to her god and none other. For her the Ice Queen was the beginning and the end. She knew not where her path lay on the road of time, but she now knew that she walked in the light of her Queen for all to see. The Ice Queen was a harsh mistress. As unforgiving as she was kind. She was known more for her destructive power and her harshness, even upon her own subjects. Hex wondered what her role would be after this quest, yes after this quest. First though this quest.

Such a thinker you have become... Hex laughed inside at herself.

"Come, we need to break camp. Let us push to the valley, it calls for us. Ortus, if you would, call me Hex for it is my name. amongst us there is no need for any other title. We go now into the valley where there may be stragglers, or even organized members of your former party. I ask you now and directly as a man of his own will. Will you try to rejoin the soldiers? Will you try to aid them in any way? I need to know these things. You are a free man here if you want to be. I will no-longer treat you as a slave but I need to know where you stand. If in the future you wish to leave, I will personally arrange passage to the Citadel, or where ever a boat can take you. I know you are alone, and most likely you are afraid for your life. You have good reason to be. I will kill you if I feel you are a threat. So far I will admit that this has not been the case. Indeed, you have been most helpful. I do not kill without reason, nor will I kill thee upon a whim, indeed, I do not wish to kill you at all. I would rather you spend the rest of your tides learning and seeing. I have a long life ahead of me in places that few will ever go. You may accompany me if you wish. I will let these remarks sit with you as we break this camp. I need an answer before we leave. I realize that one usually does not decide their life course and fate in so few burns. For that I apologize, but it is the reality."

Hex left the boy to think, taking the meal dishes from his hands and cleaning them herself.
~
Ashilda da'Svafa

As she worked to bind the rune-chips to her arrows, Ashilda found her gaze drawn often to the shimmering bubble that enclosed the valley. It was an awe-inspiring sight, one that set her hands to trembling. Would the shield cause them problems? She wasn't sure if it was meant to keep something out or to keep something in. Well, we'll find out soon enough, she decided, hearing Hex say it was time to start moving.

Rising gracefully to her feet, she nodded towards the sleds. "Let's split the teams again," she suggested. "I feel recovered enough to drive my own, and it will be easier to manoeuver them separately." She stowed her gear securely once more, making sure that her weapons would be close to hand if she needed them and that her new amulets were tied tightly to the thong she already wore around her neck.

Once the camp was struck and the gear stowed, she turned to look once more at the enclosed valley. There would be more fighting soon, she knew. If there were truly as many of Ortus' folk as he said, she couldn't think of any way to avoid it. Their earlier encounter with the servant of this 'One' showed that it was unlikely they would sit and talk about things rationally. From what she overhard of the young man's words to Hex, they were even bent on slaughtering the Queen's hippogryphs. They had to be stopped, and preferably driven from this land, but she wished it didn't have to come down to more fighting.

Glancing towards the Guardian, she hoped that he was recovered enough from his wounds that he would be able to hold his own in a fight once more. Her gaze drifted from the huge creature to Ortus, and she moved over to stand near Hex. "What will you do with the boy if it comes to battle?" she asked softly.
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

Hex smiled warmly and spoke quietly to Ashilda, making sure that they could not be overheard.

"Much of that depends on him. I have put to him the question of his future. I hope he chooses to live and remain with us. He is a stranger here and one who came with those that wish us harm, do not forget that. I do not belive that he himself is of any harm to us, but one can never be sure. If he answers that he would seek to rejoin his comrades or that he is duty bound to aid them then he will die as the words leave his lips. If not, I have offered to let him travel with me as a free man or help him get off the isle."

Hex shrugged as she went about working out the lines of the dog teams.

"The Queen calls. That is the most important thing happening here and for me, it is my duty to her and her will. Ortus is but a distraction, a useful one, but nothing more. I wish to see about these legions and the valley, that is our next stop. I hope that I do not have to do hand to hand combat with 150 trained warriors. Even I would get a little winded."

Hex laughed and gave Ashilda a big wink.

"Come, the dogs are eager to be off. Let us hear what the boy has to say and then let us move ever closer to the Queen."
Last edited by Hex da`Bergliin on Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
~
Ashilda da'Svafa

Ashilda chuckled at the woman's quip about her fighting prowess. She had no doubt that Hex would indeed take on 150 trained warriors if she felt it was necessary - or if she felt it was what the Queen required of her - and the thought made her shiver with more than cold. Such an act could only be suicidal, and she had grown fond of the acerbic warrior.

Nodding her agreement, she replied softly, "I have prepared more runed arrows, but not enough to take on such a horde. If it comes to a large battle, I will have to save them for where they can do the most damage - physical or emotional. I pray that it will not come to that, however."

She frowned as an idea occurred to her and asked in more normal tones, "You've travelled beyond our borders, Hex, but have you ever heard of this 'One'? Could a man really be a divine servant, as the robed one claimed?" It was a question that had preyed on her mind ever since their encounter with the robed man. In her experience, only women were granted the honour of receiving such divine graces.
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

Hex nodded her head.

"The rest of the world is quite the opposite of here. Out there it is predominantly the men that rule, sometimes a woman but more often a man. There are also many gods and each decides whom to give power to. I have met many men who have prayed to many different gods. There are good and bad people everywhere. Here in Trothgard things are mostly different because of our small population. Things are more intimate. There are so many people out there.To go to a city makes your head spin with the noise, smells and crush of people."

Hex thought for a moment of her friends lost.

"In Rimehold I have two friends there, Ellena and Scatha. they are from afar and have also traveled. They could tell you of the view of the outside world from their perspective. I think you would find that rather enlightening. About this battle now. If you see a priest, kill them. They will be the focus and our primary concern. If I fall, run. Run all the way home and tell them of the invasion."
~
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

What had possessed Irmgard to pack her belongings, take a sled with dogs and travel North she didn't know. It had been something in the wind, in the frost touching her cheeks and threatening with frostbite.

After a few days travel, during which she often had to outrun either Trolls or wolves, already prowling over the fields with winter coming early this yahren, Irmgard saw a great shimmering force in the distance. It sparkled in the morninglight. Just when she thought she would investigate that great source of energy she noticed a wooden ship, frozen over. There were bodies of men in white robes, slain. Their bodies lay red in the white snow. One frozen statue had lost its head, which had rolled into the snow right up to the ship.

Hex and Ashilda were softly talking when suddenly the Guardian jumped up, despite his injuries, his nose sniffing in the wind "Someone comes," he said suspiciously, "Daugtherrrrrs bewarrrrre."

OOC: I introduce to you Irmgard da'Svafa, a new PC, who might be related to Ashilda. I'll leave that up to you two to decide ;)
Last edited by Maeve on Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

Hex snapped into action and moved to get a better view of the valley...and then she realized the Guardian was looking behind them. Giving Ashilda a side glace, and then Ortus, Hex moved to see what new challenges awaited.

Looking out over the back trail, Hex could make out a dog team, a single dog team.

"It appears to be one of our own Ashilda. Do you think that someone will be looking for you?"

The thought then crossed her mind that it may be one of her sisters and with that she stood up very tall and awaited the arrival of the new-comer.
~
Ashilda da'Svafa

Ashilda's eyes widened in surprise as Hex described life in the lands beyond Trothgard. A place where men ruled and made all the decisions? Was that possible? She had always been taught that women had the primary place in society because they were closest to the Goddess - the reason why all those who served her directly were also female - but for people who didn't acknowledge the Ice Queen as their Goddess she was willing to concede that this might not be the case. Still, it was a startling concept.

She nodded at Hex's suggestion to concentrate effort on the priests, remembering the power wielded by the robed man. The blood drained from her face, however, when the warrior explained the plan for is she were slain. Such blatant acknowledgement of the chance of death made the young woman shiver with apprehension. Steeling herself, she nodded. "By the Queen's grace it will not come to that, but I will remember what you say," she replied quietly.

The Guardian's words, startled them both out of their discussion, and like Hex she automatically looked towards the Valley. The intrusion proved to be coming from the other direction, and she starined her eyes against the glare of sun on snow to make out the figure riding towards them in a sled. As the team drew closer, she drew in a sharp breath of surprise. "I recognise her," she hissed to her companion. "A cousin... Do you suppose something has happened in Rimehold?"

Although her legs felt weak, she forced herself forward a few paces and waved her hand to attract the attention of the young da'Svafa.

Post by Guest »

Irmgard stopped, and circled slowly. She had seen no one since she had left Rimehold... and this made no sense. Is this what she had been sent to find? Moving closer, she started to inspect the bodies, then straightened and whirled around - what had done this? Was it still here?

As she turned, she saw a movement, and fumbled to ready her sling - then stopped. It couldn't be - but it was - Ashilda. With another woman, and... one of the white-robed men? She moved towards them cautiously, although even at her most alert, she was already hailing them before she noticed the huge, white-furred beast staring at her.

"Doesn't look too hungry, anyway," she muttered, putting on her bravest face, and closed the distance between them.

"Is everyone all right?" She scanned the party hastily, then felt foolish - what could she do if they weren't? To cover her embarassment, she bowed and said "Irmgrad da'Svafa. I think I may have been sent to... help you? What happened here?"

Return to “Trothgard Archive”