The Muster (Open!)

Moderators: Vanadius, Mods

Vanadius
Moderator & Coordinator Terra West

Post by Vanadius »

OOC: Greetings gentlemen! I will be jumping in to continue this rather intriguing tale. Apologies for the delay...

IC: For Gavin, any clues would continue to be elusive. The strange cut in the tree yielded nothing but fresh, sticky sap. Whatever had caused it, or rested there was now gone. Hunder's body presented little more. How the man had come to know quite so much about Gavin remained a slippery mystery. His pockets and purse were largely empty. A bit of string, a few loose coins, a pair of bone gaming dice, and lint were the only things to be found. His clothes were rough and rather plain, as if Hunder had been trying to be deliberately anonymous. The rather simple cloth could have been bought at any shop within a hundred leagues of where he now lay dead. It was this terrible lack of anything that spoke of something sinister to Gavin.

For Kelsyk, little had changed. Nothing betrayed the passing of the strange archer. Even the wind seemed to go dead at this point, as if the forest itself held it's breath with the malevolent bowman's escape.

The men all brightened with the promise of extra pay, except for Cheerio, who stood stonefaced among his captors. He gave Gavin a defiant glare as the men began to cart him away, leaving the pair to discuss their plans in privacy over the body of the slain Hunder.

A man that seemed to be directing traffic gave the newcomer Doran a somewhat sour look.

"What's a matter fella? Not know where yer dear old mum is?" The man said in a tone dripping with sarcasm. "Ya see, thing is, you know who you are but that don't mean I do. Care to give an old fool like me a chance to let you know where you report by giving me yer name and where you're from? Maybe then I can point 'cha in the right direction."
Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

OOC: Welcome, lad. Hope you enjoy the story as much as I do.

For a flicker Gavin paused, looking straight at Kelsyk. He wondered how much he should tell him. If he should tell him anything. He saw the attacker. And mentioned fiery eyes. So more magick. Damn it all to Nether, I am growing tired of this. And I know I promised to Steward I won't speak of this, but he can shove that promise where the sun don't shine. The lad deserves to know.

Gavin cast another glance at Hunder and then motioned towards the camp.

"It's a long story, so we might as well start walking. We'll leave the body here and inform the guards about it. Then we go to see the Count and have a little chat. I just hope Abner is there."

As they started Gavin removed a branch from their path and let Kelsyk move ahead before he passed it himself and fell into step with the man he knew for mere burns.

"That thing you chased is not human. I don't know what it is, but I know what its purpose was. It was supposed to kill Hunder and Cheerio. So they don't talk. They know something and the creator and master of that thing wants them silenced."

As they walked Gavin paused and though of the best way to tell Kelsyk that they had demons against them and that they were in mortal danger.

"How should I start? I work for Count von Bleibhier, the ruler of Islay. Yesterday I was given my first command, but I am yet to meet my troops. And the funny things is I came to Dort less then two weeks ago. It all started on the Newcomers Feast. One of the merchants here, was about to name his new ship and he made a great party on the square. With food and drinks and entertainment for everyone."

A hint of a smile crossed Gavin's face as he tried to remember that recent event. Yet so many things happened this past few days that it seemed so far away.

"I was alone in the city, yet I met a lot of nice people. Hex, Abner, Skavalla, Amber, Zarias, Dun. But, only two of those are still around. Or I hope so. Abner, the gnome and Amber,. the she-devil. It was Amber that pointed that something was wrong with the party. And indeed it was. We armed and armored ourselves, but it did not help us."

Gavin looked at the man beside him and tried to judge his accent. Hafne had a pretty big harbor and the man sounded like he was not from Dort. He could not quit place his accent, but he had to sail here. It was an island.

"How did you come to Dort, Kelsyk? By boat? Never mind that. What I am trying to say is that there is a big hole in the Dort docks. And I was there when it was created. The crowd was going to the docks so the ship could be named, when we saw this other ship coming into harbor. It did not drop sails or slow down. It went straight for the new ship and I gotta say I was quite scared. There was a crash. I did not see the impact as I was quite busy running for cover with a pair of gnomes under my arms." - The big man realized what he just said and smiled genuinely. - "Don't ask. Anyway, I was trying to help the little guys run away. Those two were Skavalla and Abner."

He stopped trying to collect his thoughts as they rounded a large tree that stood smack in the middle of their path. Once more he let his companion go first and then caught up with him.

"Then the guards show up and start taking names of those that wished to help with the investigation. I signed up. And so did Abner. Now, I think it would have been better if I just walked away. No, I don't actually. Then, I could not have the chance to prevent this whole mess. Anyway, we board the ship and my heart almost stops. Everywhere we see corpses. Sprawled all around. In various states of decay. Dead from some sort of disease. But, it is not the crew. They look like pirates. To cut the long story short we find a single survivor, but as Abner tries to help him the man, clearly gone mad stabs him. Not fatally, thank the Gods. He kept yelling something about Anasis seeking what was hers. How she came to collect her possession. It seemed like a nonsense then, but it is not anymore. So, the healer stays with Abner and I go bellow the deck with Count."

Gavin's jaws clenched at this point and he walked for a few flickers in silence.

"I have thought the deck was the most horrible thing I ever saw. It was not. Bellow deck was far worse. We found the crew there. All piled up one atop the other. And then the strange things start. First, the trapdoor slams shut and the torch is extinguished. Then the sounds of the outside fade. And we hear movement in the direction of the pile. I draw my sword and the Count tries to light the torch. I think I would have lived for five years more if he did not manage to light it. The light bursts in and the crew is no longer on the pile. They are standing and walking towards us. I swear to you. The dead were walking. I thought I was dead and then they stopped and gave me this small black stone with the red center. saying something about giving it back to HER as they said. Who they were talking about I don't know."

Gavin stopped and cast a glance on the man beside him trying to judge if he believed him or not. It was important for the big warrior to have Kelsyk on his side. He had so few allies and so many unseen enemies. He needed help. There was almost a pleading look in his eyes. And a trace of doubt. What if this is all a ruse? To see how much I know. Damn. I don't care. What will happen will happen. And I need help.

"Ph, but that is only the beginning. A few days later Abner, me and Amber go to see the Count. And we sit there and he asks us not to speak of what we saw on the ship. Now, I think that was a mistake. But, I did not at the time. It seems the disease spread from the ship. But, somehow none of us was infected. The weird things start as I take the stone fro the Count. Now, I told this only to one person, and I know it sounds strange, but I had a vision as it touched my hand. I was riding through a canyon on the head of an army. We came upon this valley that reminded me of Islay. And there was a battle there not long before. There were black armored knights around me and they wore a bloody hand sigil upon their chest. There were other knights with different sigils before us and they were murdering the wounded and captured clansmen. Impaling them upon stakes even. Then the image shifted and I was in this castle. And there was this girl crucified upon the wall. And she opened her eyes and they were obsidian mirrors. And then she said 'Be a servant of mine, Hezekiah. Command my forces to the rest of Tazlure.' And I was back in the room."

Once more cold sweat covered Gavin. He did not know why, but whenever he thought about that girl, hairs upon his neck stood up and he felt so cold.

"Oh, but it gets better. The servant comes in and tells us someone is waiting for the Count. So, he asks us to join him. But, the Castle is empty and there is nobody in the main hall. I, the fool I am open the door and something comes in. I say something, because we only felt it. We saw nothing. Amber and I rush to the Count's study and we se that the drawer is opened. I jump forward and Amber throws her knife. Damn, that girl is crazy. She almost impales me, but she manages to get the knife stuck in something unseen. It screams and runs. I get the stone and we head to the entrance."

Now, there was fire in Gavin's eyes. He paid no attention to Kelsyk and his anger seemed to gain in magnitude. It was a sight to behold. His chest rising and falling rapidly and his nostrils flaring, while his beard and moustaches seemed to stand out.

"It caught up with me in the hallway. I never fought a foe I could not see. But, I did not let go of he stone. Finally it stops and we start talking. And, I the fool I am, give it the stone. It told me some sad story how it would die if it did not get it. Then it laughs and says it was the source of the disease. And runs of. Then, it is Abner's turn. The gnome comes up with this mad plan to capture it. We will lure it to the basement and listen to this. We grease the top stairs and we hang a curtain at the bottom. Then we pour some flour on the hall in front of the basement door so we can follow its movement. But, it is already in the basement. Amber screams and Abner and I rush down. She already managed to stab it. And it helps. I can follow its movement. I aim for its arm, but it is not the arm I cut of. It is a tentacle. Abner will show you the picture later. I think he stole a book about the demons yesterday."

Gavin stopped trying to remember if Abner still had the book he was talking about. He had it when they were in the Duchess' chambers, but he could not recall it clearly.

"It looked vaguely human, but had great toothed maw and many tentacles. And their touch burned. It took hold of me, but Abner hit it with something and it sneezed. The human body exploded and a big toothed floating eyeball remained. It uses magick and turn invulnerable, but Abner manages to get under it and pry the black stone out with a kitchen knife. It gives me an opportunity and I kill the thing. In case you are wondering what it was, we later found out it was a demon. Abner found a picture and explanation in a book. But, it had acid for blood and I got burned. And after a few burns I blacked out."

Gavin looked at his hands and flexed the fingers once more. The skin was still a bit tight, but it was healing nicely. Arista had much skill.

"Both me and Abner awoke a few days later. That was day before yesterday. Then yesterday the fun started. We had a meeting with the Steward. He told us that we were not to talk about those events to anyone. The story was that there was an assassin and that we saved the Count. And he gave us those badges. But, there was much bitterness in his voice. Like he hated or despised us. First there was this dragon that flew over Dort. And then the Count returned. It is then that we heard about the rebellion. Seems he made a mistake and the clansmen rebelled. And he left Amber behind. As he left us, Abner found this switch on the wall and disappeared in a secret passage. I could not fit in and Arista, the girl who nursed our wounds came and I had to take her away so she would not discover Abner."

A sheepish smile appeared on Gavin's face as he though of the situation.

"So, I come with her and help her treat the wounds. I am no master healer, but I knew the basics. And she showed me a lot more. But, there was this one soldier who had nasty burns. So she sends me to bring Vaga Hex to her. Who is Vaga, you ask? Vaga is what stupid people call a witch. What I think is that she is a wise old lady who has some strange powers. She tells me of a prophecy that she saw. It talks about the demons rising and overrunning the Golden City. I figure that must be Dort. But, it also spoke of the Lord Protector riding against the minions of the Red Demon. And she refers to me as the Lord Protector. I know what you think, but I never wanted that. I just wanted to be a simple guard or a mercenary. Now, all of a sudden I am this prophesied savior, this Lord Protector. But, she knows much. Much more than she should. And she manages to heal that guy."

Gavin fell silent for a few moments, as if he was pondering how much more to tell Kelsyk then seemed to reach a conclusion.

"I go back to the passage where I left Abner, but he is not there. Vaga shows up and enspells a rat to take me to Abner. I follow the creature through some secret passages and he takes to what turns to be the private quarters of the Duchess of Dort. And Abner is there. Talking to a ghost of a little girl. Her name is Amber too and she speak about a sick man who replaces the good people with his followers. She is speaking of Dein is Mein, the Steward of Dort. The ruler of Dort in Duke's absence. Then another strange thing happens. She warns us that something is coming. And indeed it is. A floating eye appears, but somehow the magick in that chamber protects us from its sight. We make our way out and meet the Count. There was not time to tell him all this and I did not really have any real proof. He told me that I will have some men to command in the army. And that is pretty much all. You know most everything else. Except that Hunder gave me a similar offer as the lady in the vision did. And he seemed like I struck a nerve when I mentioned the Lieutenant of Destruction and referred to Abner and me. I am certain they are working for whomever is behind this."

He stopped and gripped Kelsyk's shoulder. He gripped almost painfully and shook the man gently.

"You have to believe me, Kelsyk. I am not making all this up. Abner will tell you I am not lying. And you saw the eyes of that creature. You saw how it moved without a trace. I think this war is wrong. Oh, all wars are wrong, but this one is more wrong then the rest. Someone made the people fight. And I fear that he or she means to open a portal and summon the demons. And I'll be damned if I allow it. So, are you with me? Are we gonna stand side by side and fight it together? You, me, Abner and Amber?"

OOC: Sorry 'bout this. But, I was sleepy and it needed to be said.
FORTH they went, the troubled two
To see the world and kick ass too!
[b]Syrawenn and Gavin Saga, Verse 1-2[/b]
Doran
Civus

Doran's chat

Post by Doran »

Doran looked at man curiously for moment and thought why would this man think i'm looking for my mother?

He pushed the thought out his head and said " Sir my oppolgies my name is Doran Norwec son of Duran I come from Nazareen where my mother resides. I signed an agreement last night in Scandalous Seamonster and I am honor bound to keep my word. So now I stand here ready to join the ranks."

Doran looked at the man and stood up little straighter. From seeing the people through camp on his way here he understood the man had his hands quite full indeed.

Sir if its not to bold to ask a question I was told we are fighting bandits and thieves what is the need for old men and young boy's here?

Post by Guest »

OOC: good job at telling the story Gavin, in my opinion, a couple stars in storytelling for you.

IC: "If I hadn't just chased a guy with flaming eyes and left no trace, I would have said you were crazy; but I did just chase that guy, so I'm leaning towards believing you. This is definitely bigger then I expected. I just expected it was two thieves, i would not have guessed at some kind of demonic influence. Seeing how important this could turn out to be, I believe you, and I will stand with against whatever this thing is."

What am I getting my self into? First thieves, now demons, this is very quickly going beyond anything I know, or can guess at. Wat next? The gods themselves walking the land. Still, i've said yes, so whatever I happens, I'm in.

"To your previous question, yes I did come here by boat. Specifically from the Citadel. Oh by the way, when you were searching the ground, did you happen to find a dagger?"
Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

"A dagger? Oh, the one you threw at it. No. Not a trace. But there was this groove in the tree. It might have been made by your dagger. Maybe our foe carried it away. Don't worry. We'll get you a new one. And some other weapon as well. Knives are fine, but they are for tavern fights. Out in the field a spear or sword will serve you well."

He seemed to remember something and then nodded. [i]I have to start Abner's training today. Why not train Kelsyk too.

"If you'd like I know a few tricks with two-handed swords. I could show you the basics. I am not much of a teacher, but I survived so far. That tells a bit about my skill. Now, let us go and find some guards. We'll point them in the direction the body is so they could give that man a proper burial. For all he did and might have done, he was not a bad man. Then we are going to see the Count. And then to join the men I am to command in this war."

Gavin slapped the man next to him on the back and laughed.

"Oh, cheer up a bit. You work for the Count now. People can say what they want about him, but he is a good man. Come now, let us hurry. We don't wanna be late for the war."
FORTH they went, the troubled two
To see the world and kick ass too!
[b]Syrawenn and Gavin Saga, Verse 1-2[/b]
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

Doran

The man looked down at his report and went hunting for Doran's name.

"Norwec... Norwec... Norwec... Ah. Here you are. Doran Norwec. You'll be reportin' to Sergeant Ymir."

The man looked around for a bit at the assembling masses, trying to determine the best way for the newcomer to go.

"See here lad. Down that way a bit, perhaps as far as an arrow shot until you reach that small outcropping of trees. Look for a red tent and a group of folks just like yerself. Ymir's boy's don't be havin any uniforms yet, but his is one of the only units down thataway that don't. Ymir's a tall fella. Looks like he came down from the highlands a score of years ago. The red tent shouldn't be too hard to find."

"Oh and lad. Thank ye. If all the folks put up with me as you have done, me job would be a might better... Fare well and good luck!"

Kelsyk and Gavin.

It did not take very much of Gavin's tale to be told before they reached the outer sentries and directions could be given as to where to pick up the body of Hunder. Gavin's tale was nearly told in it's entirety by the time the Muster could be spotted in plain view again and the erstwhile pair had just a little bit further to go before rejoining Ymir and some of the others.

The guards that had taken Cheerio back to the Captain could be spotted. They kept a close watch on their captive, and took him to next to a large rock face where he could be watched more easily out here in the open ground. The guards seemed to be making their report to Ymir, and the pair could see the burly Sergeant making his way over to Captain Marten.

OOC:

Gavin, please start a new side thread for the interrogation of the prisoner, and your report to the Count. I'll be along shortly thereafter. until then the Muster stays open for new arrivals and continuation...
Doran
Civus

Doran

Post by Doran »

Doran nodded,thanked the man and hurried off in direction he was told to go. Doran walked a brisk pace toward the tents. It did not take him long to see campsite. Ignoring everyone around him he focused his attention on the red tents and picked up his pace almost in into a full run. Stopping only few yards of campsite to catch his breath. Doran returned back to fast walk, but one could tell he had been running for beads of sweat on his brow.

As Doran approached the tent he could see a giant of man standing there. That must be Ymir Doran thought that other soldier said he was tall. Doran thought that was huge understatement indeed.

Doran looked up at the man and said "Sergeant Ymir I'm Doran Norwec I'm suppose to report to you."

Post by Guest »

OOC: I spoke to Vanadius and Enzirou & Phillinie can join up in this thread. Would be logically for them but they may arrive later due to having a feast the day before. If everyone has gathered we can make this thread a roll, thank you for your attention people and enjoy. ^^

IC: A stout man watched him from the tent entrance inspecting him as he came near it. Ymir was the type of man that liked to know what kind of person this new lad was and used several flickers of silence sizing the short man up. The sergeant was tall and built like an ox, wearing a strange mixture of regular uniform and strange camouflaged commoners clothing. His face had a sour look and Doran could easily see he wasn’t in the best of moods. A few bandages on the upper arms and a large stitched scar on his face showed sign of recent combat. His face was quite bunt look as if he had stuck his face into a campfire the day before. His hair was missing a large spot of hair and his eyebrows were very scarce, he looked like he went head to head with a fireball and lost.

Ymir studied the dwarf soldier in a very indiscreet way and then started to speak with a slow and dread serious tone. “So ye’ be the dwarf combatant promised to me already yesterday, be you not? Ye’ been missing out on quite a bit of action as ye’ can be seeing… nothin’ more fun then chargin’ in the blaze for the honour of it all.” The tent site looked empty for the most accept for a couple of soldiers sitting around in relaxed positions. The whole lot did not look very organized as he could see a group of soldiers playing dice in a wood bowl on a small quilt blanket. Others were sharpening weapons and polishing armour or preparing gears and kits. Even one was sleeping under a blanket, a soft snore coming from under it.

The sergeant seemed not to a man of straight discipline and his sourness was likely more due to his recent wounds then his regular attitude. A large cough came from the burly man as he drew back Doran’s attention with a small speech. “Prepare up yer kit, even though I think ye’ been somewhat misplaced we will see when the leadership will arrive. I got to be sayin’ we tend to not be the type that be takin’ along heavy armoured man, we bein’ rather quick mobile strike force here but… we will be seein’ that a commander be showin’ up. For now just relax and make acquaintances, ye’ be needin’ to make friends here if ye’ wish to survive… most be havin’ a party yesterday they be arrivin’ latter on.” With that Ymir turned his back and walked back into the tent, grumbling something foul about a red haired wenches.
Doran
Civus

Dorin meets Ymir

Post by Doran »

After Ymir turned and walked away. Doran moved to nearest vacant tree and sat down. His father's voice was cautioning him as usual. Watch that one Doran get in his way, or do something that appears to be double cross to him and he'll squash you with heel of his boot. Well then thought Doran I'll just have to prove myself useful and trustworthy. That's the other thing he thinks your little over dressed for his outfit. Well I'll wait for commander to make his decision on that one. Doran continued to ponder on these thoughts for few moments. He then sat his axe down next to him and removed his backpack and then began to eye few that were in camp.

Doran scanned his fellow troops then thought about what Ymir said about making friends and he frowned on that . He was never very good at making friends. He always rather let his work speak for him. Thinking of that he picked up his axe scanned its edge sharp as ever he thought and then walked his hand over handle. The knotches for his fingers were perfect fit he spent many hours making sure of that. He held it up in sunlight and watched it flicker off the head. He sat it down and retrieved his dagger from its sheath. Perfectly balanced ,amazingly sharp, 12 inches long from its point to handles end and double edged. Nice for close combat or for throwing Doran was thinking and then returned it back to its sheath. Doran looked around again and thought well who should I make friends with first?
Phillinie

Phill returns to the Muster area

Post by Phillinie »

Phillinie arrived to the muster area. The evening spent in the inn in town was a great bonus. A bath and clean clothes were always welcome. His muscles still felt sore from his scouting adventure and even tough the visions of carnage were still etched in his mind, his body felt refreshed. He had a inner resolve to solve this mystery and make the butchers pay. Phill looked around to get his bearings looking for the red tent designated for Ymir and his small band. He liked the tall sergeant. Ymir reminded him of an old first mate he once served with on the high seas, friendly, fiercely loyal and deadly; a good man to have on your side and a bad man to cross.
As Phill approached the tent he noticed a red haired dwarf sitting at a nearby tree studying his axe. Must be a new recruit, even fresher than me, he thought to himself. Hmm he is a dwarf, wonder if he can tell me anything about this knife I found. Phill stopped outside the red tent.
“Sergeant, you available? I was wondering if this would be a good time to report to Marten about our scouting trip.” Phill was being a bit more formal than when they were scouting. With new recruits showing up and Ymir’s group growing, there would be need for tighter discipline. Ymir could definitely keep people in line just by his presence, but a good structure would make his job easier.

Post by Guest »

OOC: Not sure if more people might be joining in I suspected Enzirou might but this is what one can say a semi-volunteer mission. A long post to speed things up as we been on a stand still a bit for a while, hope everything to pick up the pace again. Now for the sake of it all I’d really like to see steady flow of posting since this thread is a shared. :D

Morningtide 25th, Second Hour

Ymir looked at Phillinie with a big smile upon his somewhat scarred face. Phillinie could see the firebreather assault was pretty severe but a good healer had done a good job patching things up and Ymir was back on the job again. “Aye’ ye be right Phillin’ I been reportin’ our venture too Marten and this is why we be here. It be not too strange to hear that we be to track an’ seek these scoundrels an’ deal with their wretched hide.” The burly man looked over his men with a discontent look upon his face, he had given them some slack but it was quick to run out.

“Oi! Get ye’ butts in gear ye’ lousy god forsaken bunch of lowlifes!” The large howler got everyone attention and a group of lads quickly rushed up near the red tent. Ymir walked too the sleeping ‘beauty’ under his blanket and gave him the fright of his life as pulled him up from under it and smacked him around the head like he was a bad tyke. The startled man perhaps not older the Phillinie himself look disorientated only looking left to right confused if he was sleeping or awake. The poor sob was then thrown near the others, which had formed near the red tent. He got himself quickly with an embarrassed look upon his face showing an unusual paleness around the nose. Ymir took hardy point in front of the tent standing there in his usual simple sergeant garb.

Ymir discriminatively observed all his new soldiers, who for the most consisted out young boys who just turned man, perhaps a few yahren back. The sergeant revealed his pearly white teeth as he stared at them intensely with a sadistic grin. “Ye’ be knowin’ why we be here all of ye’. Ye’ gunna be servin’ Dort by helpin’ find a couple of scum riders who been stirrin’ up trouble in the area, like burnin’ stuff and killin’ simple folk in vile ways.” Ymir marched up and down the gathered bunch of people, thinking of what to do next as the large was a bit to large to make an affective scouting group.

“Here what we be doin’ Prolly more of ye’ lot while be arrivin’ from ye’ late night booze, wenches and feastin’. I’d be odd if everyone was actual here in time it never happen’ before ye’ hear never, be pleased ye’ guys are not lowlife yella’ Bellies! Now ye’ gots to be seein’ Ymir isn’ the worse guy he be’ lettin’ feast but… one thing I’d be hatin’ most is slackin’. I’ll run ye’ right through if I be noticin’ any of ye’ is not tryin it best. A troop be only as good as the weakest chum and if that be sum’ne who won’t stick up for ‘s fellow team, I’d be snappin’ him in two where ye’ stand.” Staring at the group of young men Ymir felt he had succeeded in getting the message through, his physique and skill was enough to take any of the guys here out with a single blow and he laughed loud then smacked his fist hard into the other with a loud smack. “We be makin’ groups here as I’d be pickin’ only te’ talented and eager for this mission.” It could be suspected Ymir wasn’t going to take people along with him he felt not to be up to the standards he sat.

Phillinie:

A few lads were already pointed to a spot left of the tent, one of ‘m being the sleeping white nose and the rest were the band of gamblers. Phillinie got send to the right side of the tent, together with gold skinned Adhiel male dressed in a green healers robe, the torso strengthened by hardened leather. His cape was of the same colour and connected with two round bronze discs to the suit he wore. The whole thing had an odd look in the rag tag band of man and who could easily assume that Ymir requested him coming along due to yesterdays fiery encounter.

The adhiel smiled at Phillinie, making a small bow while folding his hands together in sign of courtesy. “Namaste Achlaliel, a pleasure to meet you I hope our cooperation shall be on prosperous for all among us. My name is Sevti’ilan mender of wounds is my trade and I am here for your well being as for the others who venture with us.” Another humble bow was followed as he welcomed a third member to the right side group, this being a peculiar looking man with broad sideburns, a hawk’s nose and a weird grin which seemed etched in his face. “Nice to meet the lot of you, I be Craigh might I be saying Sev’ you look elaborately garbed for a job as always.” Craigh gave a smirk at Phillinie and started to chuckle to himself in odd fashion then gave a wink and started to chuckle even more.

Doran:

When Ymir looked at Doran he had some trouble picture this dwarf to be very mobile in his full plate. He looked at him up and down especially at his short legs and then shook his head with some disappointed look. “Why ye’ be wearin’ such a plate ye’ be goin’ to charge te’ castle or sum? Well… ye’ skill in wearin’ that suit look barely adequate if ye’ be havin’ to march for a mark or three ye’ prolly be havin’ to be carryin’ home… Give me a good reason why’d I’d be takin’ ye’ short legs ‘long together with that stone of a suit ye havin?” Ymir looked displeased and Doran could see that for the most everyone was either wearing light armour or even none at all.

Enzirou:

Enzirou found himself waking up late from the feast he had enjoyed. A minor headache was the result of plenty of drinks and he could hear the people on the street had already started their daily routines. Were he was he could see some men sleeping on straw beds in what looked like a stable converted to inn. His belongings all in tact were lying next to him, as was a half empty mug of mead

Post by Guest »

Slowly but surely Enzirou got up and began to dress himself. He looked around at all the men still sleeping " That was a good feast I hope there'll be more like that".He took a quick look at the mug of mead that was next to his feet but then deciced against it as he still had a headache.He strapped his buckler onto his left arm,and strapped his quiver onto his back,he sheathed his knives and sword quietly so he didn't wake up any of the other soldiers. He then picked up his bow and left the room."I wonder where Phill and Ymir are?" he shrugged his shoulders and began to wonder around in hope of bumping into them.
Phillinie

Phill meets his new companions.

Post by Phillinie »

Phillinie made a small bow to the green garbed adhiel and in his tongue said, “Well met Sevti’lan, may the gods smile upon you. I hope I will not need your services too often.” Switching back to human speak, “Did you do those repairs to Ymir? That was really good work. The spite got the better of us on that one. And well met to you as well Craigh. I take it from your comments that you two have traveled together before.”

Phill looked over the remaining people, wondering if Ymir would be picking any more to go on this mission. Yesterday’s traveling companion ‘Rou was not to be seen. Phil wondered if Ymir would even pick him based on yesterday’s performance. The whole exercise was kind of like picking teems for football. He was glad he was picked as part of the first string players.
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

Captain Marten came up from a small ridge and was flanked by a messenger and a page to record any commands he might issue. The Captain was a stern looking man, although most would say he was fair and honorable. He was armored as a Captain should be, a suit of well tailored chain, and a mail coif that was pushed back and fell upon his shoulders. The sword that hung at his belt was unusually clean and bright. Marten took great pride in the fact that he delegated well, and was tactically sound enough not to have to use the blade overly much. All in all he was well liked and well respected by all who served under him.

The Captain was famous for offering his men chances that they might not necessarily have under other commanders. Some involved great risk, others were simple tasks, but all were offered in the same spirit. Marten was a great believer in the power of people, specifically, soldiers. He expected men to volunteer. He expected some to go above and beyond the call of duty. There was a great pride in his sense of accomplishment with these tasks and offering them to his men. Almost always, someone volunteered, and almost always, the tasks and extra work by those willing to give the extra effort was completed and completed well. He came up the hill to make one of these famous offers now.

"Men! Men! Your attention!" Marten looked over at Ymir, one of his best sergeants and the tall mountain of a man whistled loudly and sharply. Most grew quiet at the sound, and Marten spoke up quickly afterwards.

"I need some volunteers. I have a mission for folks who can ride and can handle themselves around the enemy. There's a chance you'll see combat, but a better chance you'll be scouting out the clans movements and reporting back your findings. This will be an advance force, well out in front of the main army. If you are interested, come see me immediately.

"As for the main force, we'll be moving out within the mark. Gather your belongings, pray to your Gods, and say your goodbyes. My horn will sound at the appointed time. Three sharp blasts will be the signal. The Count will be out in front, and our place will fall somewhere in the forward third. I expect all to fight bravely and honorably, and for as many of us to live as possible!"

"That's it for now! Let's get ready!"

Post by Guest »

Sevti’ilan gave a warm beam towards the young achadhiel as well to Craigh who was chuckling the either time, as if it was a common thing to do for him. The medicine man spoke calm as with a singing grace likely he had a history of being a linguist as his human tongue was well developed, except for a small accent that made it sound more exotic. “Master Ymir went to my master under which I study at the time being, still I must say I did aid in curing his wounds. As noticeable a burn wound is a dangerous thing, but with proper care it could be…” Before he was able to speak further he watched Craigh who had spotted Captain Marten marching in at steady pace. As a superior and honourable man as Marten demanded respect it was certain no time for chitchat and instead Sevti’ilan just beamed a cheerful smile as he bowed towards the man the captain in question.

The whole scene was noticeably responded by a respectful display except for a few rowdy fellows who had just arrived the scene minutes earlier. Ymir whistled and his eyes looked hard at these lowlifes and if it weren’t for Marten these lads likely would receive a large stomping. It was the blame you got when working with for the most new folks, a lot of people hadn’t gotten much discipline in life but that was soon to change if they wanted to become a lasting thing in the Dort military.

A couple of fellows showed unhappy faces as when asked that only those who could ride were able to accompany as likely they were not able to do so. It seemed Ymir was marking out people fit for active and passive duty and it continued on by his silently separating it in two groups. Overall Ymir knew that only those he deemed fit were going to come along and from the thirty men present at the moment merely one out of three were in the group with Phillinie, located on the right side of the tent. As the teams were split he called out Craigh the chuckling man forward and spoke some words to him. Craigh’s usual chuckling, snickering and an occasional nod was heard. “Those who be to me right will be listen’n to Craigh this fella’ hear, hereby here by he be called te’ lance corporal in charge.” With this Ymir looked at the other group towards the left side of the tent, the larger group who seemed voted out as having a chance of joining the scout team. “Those to me left will abide the rules by gettin’ ready and joinin’ the main force, I’d be expecting ye’ lots to behave every command given else I’d be rippin’ ye guts out and feedin’ it to the pigs!” Ymir growled at the lot who silently stood by not making much ruckus at all. Seemed the field was separated and everyone got their packs, stacks and gear ready for marching out for the Count.

Phillinie
Craigh who had been promoted to lance corporal sniggered to himself as he approached back to the others. A brown haired youth in the group gave a thumbs up to him, A bearded dwarf in stout chain let out a howl off support and so did others in their own way of appreciation, even Sevti’ who gave him a cheerful glance and a soft touch pat on Craigh’s shoulder. It seemed Craigh had a good chance of becoming a member of the established Dort military core and if this all went well he might become a lance corporal for permanent.

The Corporal to be made no time getting his people together whilst Ymir made sure the larger pack for the main stay was behaving proper and this was certainly needed as some where rather rowdy and uncaught. Craigh looked over everyone speaking now in a serious voice, without the usual snicker and chuckle. “Well gents, we are here to be figuring out who be riding in a scout team. Any things that need to be made clear before we all be applying all for this honourable task?” With this he scanned the group back and forth with piercing eyes.

Argis stepped forwards looking grim, as a dwarf of the mountains always seemed to be. “Me lad, me riding is only good to be riding a cart and upon a pony of sorts… I’d be speaking here for a couple of us fellow when we say that not many of us are excellent horseman.” The short man slapped his hand upon his large war hammer he had with him, it was of a soft green material as was his double-layered chain that wore with relative ease. After a rather handsome man, with a two day old beard stepped from the group forwards doing his bit of speaking to the corporal. “My riding skill is relatively good the horse, perhaps I could aid in brushing up some of the comrades skills in this endeavour?” Craigh merely nodded starting to chuckle as in his mind he could see half the team drop on their asses while leaving Captain Marten and the Sergeant looking embarrassed. “We will have to be seeing what we getting along with us as we scout for ahead let just get everything ready and then report at our Captain when we be done.” The small selected group got their things ready, weapons being placed in straps and belts. Most of the team wore armour of some sorts, but for the most it was not more then some leather, a tough hide jacket or a cheap gambeson. Phillinie could feel a little bare but then again wearing armour without any experience was a recipe for failure.

Doran
The dwarf found himself among the large group asked to join the mainstay of the force. In Ymir’s eyes he was too bulky to be travelling effective with the others. As the group separated Ymir forced everyone in order and disciplined some unruly elements with harsh language and an occasional threat or slap. A small speech was given about honour, bravery and courage for Dort and that they should thank Pecunia for the fortunate day they got their butts granted the pleasure to serve the duke. Ymir also allowed respectable people to ask some question about what was needed to take along. Suggestions were plenty of weaponry, armour, a second pair of clothes in case something happens with the first, further a good bag or sack, a blanket for the night and a canteen, or sack for water, as food and water was going to be provided for but you did want to have a ration or two just to be on the safe side in case you got separated. It sounded relatively cut clear as if they were marching for war but it also could just be a big scale test as well.

Enzirou
The bustling on the street made it easy to notice that something was going on at the muster. Enzirou could hear talk in the vicinity about a campaign starting up and the various rumours that accompanied with it. It wouldn’t be to hard to find the place to gather as plenty of people had seen the noble Captain Marten come by with following all dressed up in his spiffy chain, noble clothes and elegant sword buffed up till it sparkled. Enzirou could see another Achadhiel rushing towards a point of interest trying to close his shirt and jacket as he ran by him. The studded leather jacket looked cheap and combined with his curved short blades and an odd sickle he seemed to be a foreigner to the lands, just like Enzirou. Following this young lad was bound to bring Enzirou to the right place, even though they both were due and that was something that could have consequence.

Post by Guest »

Enzirou watched the achadiel run past, "I wonder if he's in the army too".The thought lingered in his mind for a brief second, then without thinking Enzirou began to run after the achadiel. Dodging in and out the crowds Enzirou tried to keep his target in sight, " He's fast, if we keep going at this pace I won't be able to keep up with him". Enzirou continued to follow the achadiel while trying not to knock anybody over, insults were hurled at him from people who'd been roughly shoved to one side but the insults fell on deaf ears, as Enzirou was too busy concentrating on following his fellow achadiel.

Post by Guest »

Enzirou:
The sprinter was almost impossible to keep up and it took a bit of push and shove to get through the crowds that gathered in the small streets and squares. Enzirou almost lost him when the youth dashed into an alley but you barely managed to keep up. Then a skilful somersault made over a man and then a tumble under a fruitcar, left Enzirou clueless of where he went. Easily one could say that this insane feat of athletics would let any untrained lad crash right on top of frightened fruit merchant whose eyes were wide of fright at the sight of this feat. The acrobat had to have quite some skill and it looked like all was lost of finding his way to where the gather must be. Still a symbol of hope sprung up from amidst the crowd, the sound off ruffling of a drum…

Perhaps only fifty feet away, Enzirou saw a small banner high upon a stick for all to see. Under it stood a young lad perhaps only a mere twelve years old. His physique was light and somewhat frail with some specks of scruffy hair sticking from under his simply clothe cap. He wore clothes fit for a rural lad except for a military jerkin bearing the mark of the count. It became apparent at the sight of his drums that he had to be a tambourine boy. His scrawny voice could be heard, which had trouble piercing the crowd’s noises of merchants going their ways, women chattering gossip and the rest of the morning-tide mutter. “Hear ye, hear ye all who favour the city may rejoice, serve thy lord by joining the force.” After which he hit his drums while trying to hold the banner up under his armpit at the same time. It went fairly well but it did make the sight look a rather flimsy and few people paid much attention to the scene.
Last edited by Guest on Sat Dec 24, 2005 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

" It's a call for people to join the army,well I suppose I shouldn't be surprised".Enzirou watched the boy march past and began to remember how poorly he'd performed yesterday, "I'll help the kings army but this time I'll have to perform better".The images of yesterday's massacre flashed in Enzirou's mind, he began to feel that same fear that he felt when he saw all of the destruction that the enemy had caused.Beads of cold sweat broke out on Enzirou's forehead and his eye's became dilated.He began to use his innner calm techniques to calm down. When he'd calmed down he began to look around for the achadiel but couldn't see him anywhere. Enzirou then pushed his way through the crowd with the intent of following the tambourine boy "Maybe he'll lead me to the rest of the group then maybe I'll be told what's actually going on."

Post by Guest »

Enzirou
The young youth wasn’t very hard to follow as he made his way through the street spreading his message of a call to arms. The young lad walked first up and down the streets and after a while he slow and steadily made way the edge of town. In it all perhaps a quarter of a mark it took for him to tail the young lad and in that time Enzirou noticed the city was tense and the air full of rumours and talk about the upcoming conflict.

Then the young tambourine boy stopped near a small corner of the street, heading out of the city limits. He made a way towards a middle-aged man, dressed in a long green hauberk holding a long spear and a heater shield. Both his tunic and shield beared an large tree surrounded by a long trumpet, the ones used at festivals or a joust only this be a crescent one. The man was fully suited up in ring and chain with matching coif, a steady rounded helmet flat on the top and gazed at the youth as if he expected word from him. The young buy sighed whilst shaking his head at the man who then ruffled his head in as a friendly gesture. At this point the man gazed in the direction of Enzirou, displaying a peculiar look with a raised eyebrow. He spoke something faint towards the boy, who then quickly rallied behind him.

The soldier observed the strange Achadhiel with a discriminating look up his face as if he was trying to make sense out of him. His hand firmly grasped the hardy wood of his spear, noticeable by the noise of his leather glove tightening. With a loud tone he spoke to the strange prowler who had intruded. “I be Sir Roderick the Resolute, identify yourself knave and explain your reason for trailing this boy!” Roderick although perhaps in his mid forties looked still impressive nonetheless and he did not enjoy people snooping along the streets in trail of young boys.

Post by Guest »

Enzirou looked at the man's stance and realized that he was ready to attack. "Wait stop! I'm trying to find out what's going on. I heard that boy asking people to join the army and I did'nt know where to go". Enzirou readied himself into a position where he would be able to draw his sword quickly. " I went on a mission with Ymir yesterday but I can't find him, I need to know if there's anything I can do to help the army".

Post by Guest »

Enzirou
For a moment sir Roderick pondered the entire notion as if this youth could actually be serious. Then after a few flickers he relaxed his pose still looking at the young man with a cool stance fit of a veteran soldier. “You do not know where the gathering is that what you claim to be saying here, lad?” Roderick rubbed his beard with his thumb as he gave the idea a thought, the wrinkles around his eyes showed now very clearly. “I see perhaps you were behaving rather oddly, still as your language is rather rudimentary I might see that you are not a local youth. I will give you the benefit of the doubt do be aware that trailing people especially the young is considered dodgy as well loutish. Hereby I must tell you not to do this again, boy.” It truly was a reprimand but all seemed well nonetheless and Roderick lessened his stance.

With a quick swing he pointed the tip of spear into an outwards direction, beyond the city boundary. “The people who wish to aid in the effort are located in that direction. You cannot miss it boy, as many are there even some tents. I do believe you will find the ‘auxiliary’ forces there, if you wish I might actually lead you there…” A cold glance covered the face of the soldier as he made an attempt into pressuring the Achadhiel. “No… I must insist that I bring you there myself no question about this I will bring you to Ymir personally, boy…” The word ‘boy’ was spoken with flawless tongue fit to a well-mannered gentleman as Roderick was. Enzirou had little choice of refusing the offer as it was quite clear that the Sir was not likely to let him go there unescorted.

Roderick placed his hand upon the tambourine shoulder that started to move into the direction pointed out earlier. The young lad started to ruffle his drums as he went ahead to the muster; it was a refrain, which sounded of battles gone by, honour, glory and the splendour of the crusade.

Post by Guest »

Enzirou relaxed his stance and began to walk beside Sir Roderick "Thank you sir". He relaxed slightly but was slightly worried about what would happen when they reached they're destination.

Post by Guest »

OOC: Phillinie might hear of this situation still he might not be paying attention to it, depends if he is preoccupied. Doran most certainly notices this event as he is close to the little reprimand.

IC: It was a mere five burns a walk before the three came to the sight of muster. Things were bustling there as a large group of people were packing their things, sharpening their weapons and doing other battle reading. Ymir could be seen directing the large group of men, rallying as it is with both harsh mouth and actions. Observing it all it seemed somewhat chaotic but it had a fine tuned order amidst it. Enzirou could see Phillinie standing alongside with some other people to the further end of a red tent.

Roderick made quick way towards the sergeant in question, being this Ymir and spoke to him in polite tone. “Sir this boy claims to be seeking you out, I would suggest that…” Ymir didn’t let the man finish as he was in a hurry, replying swift and abrupt. “It is good Roderick, I deal with it.” With that Roderick left quite quickly leaving the young tambourine by Ymir to stay. He didn’t even give Enzirou a second glance, merely saying his goodbyes to the drummer and then quick marching out of the muster, as if he was in a sudden hurry.

Ymir looked at Enzirou with a cross look not hiding the fact that he found the youth to be rather inept. Enzirou had frozen in battle and he had a lot to make up for, this was how Ymir saw it. The sergeant pushed Enzirou in line next to three others then gave them a final rundown. “Yee’ four be the last arrivin’ and there be no more of ye’ comin’ in now, playtime be over. Here is ye’ chance, either report to Capt’n Marten for scout duty ahead of the rest and risk yee’ hide or join the mainstay bein’ in the bulk of the force. Yee’ be all given’ a good chance as ye’ hadn’t impressed Ymir here one bit. Start packin’ en ready then pick were ye’ gunna be ye’ hea’! Now GIT!” A loud roar could be heard coming the sergeant and he shouted the three lads away from his sight. He had enough things on his mind trying to get everything together, then wasting his time with a couple of youths being not able to get here in time.

Enzirou noticed the dashing athletic who he had attempted to follow earlier in town was one of the other three who had ‘joined’ him in begin scolded by Ymir. The young runner was cursing to himself in native elfin his teeth gnashing on a piece of wood in his mouth.
Phillinie

2 Hour Morning tide

Post by Phillinie »

Phillinie looked around at the group getting ready in their armor and arms and knew it was just a matter of when not if that he would fall off of a horse if he tried to ride. He approached his new Corporal.

“Corporal Craigh, While I am honored that Ymir has picked me to be on this team, the last time I rode a horse was a pony ride on my 3rd birthday, and then I nearly fell off. And while I could wear a hide jacket or such, I’ve never grown much accustomed to them. They tend to restrict movements when fighting in close quarters. If need be, I will take whatever training I can and do my best to ride with you, but I fear I will be more of a liability than an asset. I have my camouflage gear with me, if you need stealth and advance scouts, I might prove more useful to you and avoid being arrow fodder.”

phill hopped the Corporal would appreciate his straightforward assessment and have use for him in his task. He desperately hoped he hadn’t talked himself out of an adventure but the idea of riding on horseback in heavy gear left a nauseating feeling in his stomach.
Last edited by Phillinie on Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

Enzirou walked away quickly and found himself a fairly quiet place away from all the soldiers. He strapped on his armour and weapons the way Ymir had shown him and packed the remainder of his itens in his bag. He sat down and began to ready himself for the task which lay ahead "Alright I'm going to stay with the mainstay and fight in large battle". He then began to use his inner calm to supress the fear that was welling up inside him, the fear soon subsided and Enzirou's mind was focused on the battle.Enzirou stood up, picked up his bag and went to find Ymir.

" Sir I've decided to stay and fight with the mainstay, is there anyone else I should report to?".

Return to “Dort Archive”