The Professor's Apprentice ~ Samheen 22nd ~ Morningtide

Moderators: Tristam, Mods

The Professor's Apprentice ~ Samheen 22nd ~ Morningtide

Post by Guest »

OOC: Hope I'm not over assuming that in the last two days that Gilanor would have at least learnt where the Professor's room are as such.

Gilanor touched the door to Professor Chaotxi's room just once lightly before waiting for a response. He didn't think that the Professor had a class this morning, but he still didn't know much about what other duties the Professor was called on to undertake. If he didn't get a response in a Mark or so then he'd head to the library to continue the task of clearing through the stack of books.

He and Ssinith had made a bit more progress in the library over the last couple of days, though with starting to learn his duties to the Professor he personally hadn't spent as much time there as he had in the initial days here at the Guild. Still they had made progress and Gilanor had been able to add a few texts to the list he had started for the Professor. He was still concerned about the lack of organisation within the library and Guild members inability to know if the text they were after was in the library or was just simply being used by someone else when they came looking for it.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

The door opened at Gilanor's touch and for a moment he was dazzled by a splay of rainbow light. The source of this light proved to be four crystal pyramids that stood on stone pedastals in the corners of the room. Each one cycled through the colors of the umbral spectrum of Gulanadur and ended with a flash of light at the end of the cycle. Each one was out of snyc with each other.

A folded square of parchment lay one of the pedastals near the door. It read,

"Dear Gilanor,

If you are reading this, then you are standing in a room with four crystal pyramids. This would happen only if they have fallen out of harmonic convergence. Please adjust them such that the colors run through the same spectrum at the same frequency.

-C"
[size=100]
Donald heard a mermaid sing, Susy spied an elf,
But all the magic I have known, I've had to make myself.

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

Gilanor took a moment to read over the note again before he closed the door to the Professor's room.

Obviously there is a weave influencing the light passing into the prism's in such a fashion that they reflect light in the identical fashion. The weaves on each prism needs to cycle through the different colours of light at the same interval. Okay what next...

Yep, examine the prisms on the Aether for the weave that causes them to cycle through the frequencies as the Professor calls it. Then start with trying to adjust one so it matches to another of the prism's then repeat until they all match each other.

Watching the Prism's for a moment he tried to see if he could figure out which of the two Prisms were the closest in sequence to each other. Whether that would prove difficult or easy with the flashing light he had no idea. But regardless he'd open himself up to the Aether to study the weave around the prism as his next step.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

The two pyramids along the far wall seemed to flash with very similar rhythms. They were only off by a flicker.

Opening himself up to the Aether, Gilanor could see that the room devoid of light energy aside from what was being used by the prisms. All of the light in the was passed from one prism to the next forming a square ring about the room.

As for the prisms themselves, Gilanor saw the earth matrix of the crystal and how it captured and redirected the light towards the next prism. The crystal seemed to spin like a turnstyle with the light as the passenger between the spokes. As it spun the light would change color until it reached the far wall of the prism and was sent off to the next prism. Each of the prisms was spinning at a different rate but Glianor was uncertain if the earth was moving the light, or the other way around.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

A prism reflects light into different colours, so a small weave to manipulate the light passing through it contruct to turn through the different bands. However, it seems from the note left that the they lose haramony with each other on a regular basis.

The first problem would be to cause the light colour coming out of each of them to do so at the same changing haramony. That indeed is likely to be the easy part, but the second part is why couldn't the weave in each gain energy from the light that passes through the crystal so as to keep the first weave charged with energy.

Grounding himself using energy of stone, he formed the mental image of a suit of plate armour coming in to place over him drawing on the feel of steel in his belt dagger. Just a mental construct he had seen his father wear such only on a very rare ocassion, but its seemed more mentally impressive than a set of chain. After all and mentally the chain was full of holes so it wasn't something he wanted to take the chance on.

Centered, Grounded, Shielded, as he was he continued to on with his plan, first he would draw in a trickle of earth energy. Then setting it with the energy of motion as they had in the air shield he would add its energy into the motion of the crystal that lagged behind its mate. Hopefully, he would be able to adjust the speed of its turn so that they matched.

Imaging a weave of earth energy like a spinning wheel with no spokes in the middle he'd set it to adjusting the rotation of the slower of the two crystal. It was only behind its mate by a little bit so pushing it faster through a single rotation should be enough to cause them to match haramonies again.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

The underground realm of Gulanadur was always strong with earth energies. This chamber was even more amenable to working with stone or at least the strands around the prisms were. Even with taking his time to balance out his shield and integrating it with his spell, the weave was swiftly completed. The earth lines practically jumped to obey his commands.

Gilanor overlayed his weave upon the prism and began to adjust the speed of the spin. Rainbow light spilled over his features and rooms as he pushed the slower one on until finally they meshed. Thick bands of light energy now poured out of the second prism towards the third.

Adjusting the third caused the light energy to blast into the fourth with such an intensity that it hurt Gilanor's eyes and Aetheric senses to view it.

Squinting into the blaze, Gilanor managed to adjust the final prism and vision left him as a searing rainbow burned itself into his eyes. Nothing but the rainbow existed for Gilanor. He felt as though he were floating, driftingly somewhat pleasantly among the rainbow. His mind attached feelings and emotions to the colors as he passed through them. Heat and passion from the reds were cooled by the sorrows of indigo.

"Welcome, apprentice, to the Divergence of Light." Gilanor could hear his mentor's voice from far off. "It is a place to ponder questions of diffractions and convergence. White light can be split to colors. What other cardinal forces can be so subdivided? Potentially more interesting, what cardinal forces truly are subdivisions and what ultimately can they combined into?" Chaotxi chuckled.

"You will find this place useful for experimention with energies of light and shadow and stone. To return, simply weave a door of earth energy and walk through it." He instructed and then fell silent.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

OOC: Sorry for my slow posting its been a busy couple of weeks.

All energies I'm sure have sublayers to them, until you reach the state of the base energy that all manifestations of energy types hide. Shadow makes sense since it is the opposite of light, and the affinity with the earth likes comes from the prism that help form this place.

The thoughts came to mind as Gilanor examine the place, and tried to get a feel for it.

Thinking about something for a flicker he nodded to himself before grounding and sheilding himself. Them he started to draw on the energy of shadow, his plan taking into account the feeling he had experience when Gaeden's ball of shadow had struck his shielding.

Shadow is created by light, yet absorbs or smooths heat. Was that why I felt the coldness through the shielding. Let's see if I can duplicate, or draw on that sense of cold.

Just as he had with the air and fire shield, he set the an impression into the shadow weave. Rather than a sense or ideal of motion through he put it together with an ideal of bone chilling coldness. Then imaging the weave forming in front of him as one of his father's throwing daggers he tried to cast it out from him.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

This place was very different to his Aetheric senses. The usual balance of energies was absent and replaced by strand upon strand of light and earth. They vibrated and shimmered and from time to time Gilanor could see where it just seemed natural for it to split apart.

Seizing a shadow thread was easy. It seemed to leap into his hand before his reached for it. Examining the wavering shadows, Gilanor could see the fault lines running though it and before long where he held one strand he now held several.

Process of elimination allowed him to find the subthread that represented the shade of a tree or the chill of night. Focusing upon it, Gilanor drew the chill into a thin shard held beneath his fingers. Dimly, he could feel his hand growing cold even through his shield. Before it became painful, Gilanor hurled the shard and cut the strands to his weave as he did so.

The shadow blade flew out into the strange void of earth and light. Reacting to an unspoken wish, a slab of stone coincidently floated past into the path of his spell. The chill spell struck the stone with a crack and dissipated in a swirl of gray fog. The stone slab seemed unharmed but a fine film of frost now covered its surface.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

Shadow brings cold, and light brings heat, yet both these are properties provided by our perception of these forces. If shadow is but the opposite side of Light, and using a weave of Light enables one to form both the illuminated and shade parts of stone they why can't Light also be cool as well.

Gilanor considered the possibilities for a moment and then smiled as another thought came to him.

The expression of energies from the difference sources is based upon our perceptions of that source. Yet to get them to behave as we require any expression of that energy has to fit within the bounds of that perceptions constructs. Yet if they are mirrors shouldn't their be a link from one energy type to its opposite within the substructure of their expressions, otherwise how could Light be used in the place of Shadow.

Drawing on a thread of light this time Gilanor started shifting his way through the fault lines of the thread of light. Looking for one that ran off in a different direction within his perceptions to the others.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Intellecually, Gilanor knew he cold should be found amongst the strands of light. Intuitively, he even knew what it should feel like. He sifted through the the many strands within strands time and time again. He found the nurturing light of a gentle sun and the scorching fire of the deserts. Gilanor could cycle through the rainbow and find every color for his illusions even black and somber grays. Among those gray strands, Gilanor sought the cool strands of shadow but for all he was sure they would be there, he did not find them.

"Has yet another come to my domain?" A thick voice inquired. The voice was deep and groggy as though just waking. "Or is that you in yet another guise my old friend?"
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

His lack of success in finding the thread that lead in the direction of shadow didn't worry Gilanor. His own imperfect perception were no doubt part of the problem and he knew that likely finding the answer he needed would take some time. After all it sounded as if the Professor who had been looking for the answer to the same question far longer than himself.

Light can be cold, as well as warm perhaps I should start there. After all I'm looking for a thread that looks out of place, but all energy has a place of its own within the perceptions of reality.

The thought had just occured to him when the voice spoke up.

"I'm Gilanor, Professor Chaotxi's new apprentice. The professor set me a puzzle that brought me to this place. Yet how is this place your domain, I thought it was just a result of the haramonic energies of the Prisms." Gilanor replied, wondering if he was really talking to someone or if it was another of the Professor's illusions.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"No." The gravely voice contradicted. "You have travelled. You walk the Aether in body." He rumbled. Gilanor heard a sound like a man walking over crushed grass to one side and he saw a upthrusting of crystal wear there wasn't one before. The crystal pulsed with light as the voice spoke.

"The prisms create a harmony with this place. Harmony and sympathy allow you to travel here." The voice grumbled on. "You are welcome here, prentice. Your master calls me Diamon."
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

Gilanor took in the words that the entity Diamon had spoken, and weighed them in his mind as he considered them. He had heard tales of great mages being able to travel the Aether physically and so it seemed it was indeed true. He'd have to look into this himself once he had learnt more about weaving magics, it certainly seemed as if it might have greater potential.

"Greetings to Diamon, thank you for explaining about the prisms. How is it that you are in this place as well then? Are you some sort of departed spirit? Or rather an entity of energy that calls this place home?" Gilanor asked, even as he mentally considered the words of the Professor from his first magic class. Why shouldn't there be spirits of energy that sat in the middle ground between the Gods and the Mortals, perhaps this was one of them.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"The latter is closest to the truth I think." Diamon replied in a low rumble. "Neither I nor any I have met remembers a time when I wasn't here." Diamon rumbled with a sound like gravel falling down a cliff face. "Never thought about it much beyond that. Light beams but stone stays. I am content to stay here and illuminate what I can."

There was a cracking sound like glass breaking as a pair of crystalline outgrowths grew out of the main mass. They jutted out from Diamon's sides and were pointed towards Gilanor. "Already you study the chiaroscuro?" It was not a question but a statement filled with surprise. "I should have expected no less from a prentice."
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

The use of the unknown term caught Gilanor by surprise and he wasn't sure what the entity was referring to what this chiaroscuro.

"I haven't heard the term chiaroscuro before Diamon. What do you mean by it, or what does it refer to?"

The only thing that Gilanor could think of was either the breakup of the threads of energy structures, or his seeking for the truth of energy.

"The professor has set me a task of understanding more about light, shadow, and earth. Yet I'm always looking to learn the truth the true and core nature of energy. Are you referring to one of those studies or something else?"
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"Chiaroscuro refers to the interplay of light and shadow to create patterns." Diamon explained. "Or in this instance the patterns within light and shadow. Being a crystalline entity I have a unique perspective on the diffraction and refraction and convergence of light."

There was a twinkling of light around the portion of crystal aligned to Gilanor. "Unfortunately it is difficult to explain them to ones of flesh. Your master tried assuming a crystalline image once. It did not help much." The lights twinkled once more.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

"When you speak of the convergence of light do you meant the various coloured energies that seem to reside within it according to my physical perceptions. Or do you speak of where the energies of light start to interact with other types of energies?" Gilanor asked, his mind already considering various possibilities.

"Its just I had a theory that there must be a thread of light energy that connected with that of shadow. As I was able to use light energy to mimic the appearance of shadow in the construction of an illusion. I was wondering how that would be possible if there was no actual link between them."
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"I speak of all of those." Diamon responded slowly. Rainbow light began to bounce and shift color all over his form. It was reminiscent of the prisms except that none of the light escaped his form to be beamed outward. "Mostly I know of the ways of stone and glow. And you have already learned what you seek. Light and shadow are linked. Much tighter than you realize."

The twinkling glow plays over his front again. "You would not look for light within light. You would simply use the light. So do not look for shadow within light. You hold it already within your grasp."
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

Gilanor considered the implications of the possiblities of what the entity had suggested. He had spilt shadow into its parts by concentrating on the nature of its different aspects. Yet in the elementalism class he had concentrated on the aspect of energy that he had wanted to apply to the elemental force he had been dealing with. The basic energy of all energy was one and he had not question how he had impressed the motion into flame without making use of anything else. Yet there he had impressed the energy of motion into air and fire, would it be possible simple to focus on the coldness of shadow that he needed from the light.

Centered, Grounded, shielded, he grasped at the thread of light, and focused it in the form of the dagger as he had with the thread of coldness he had drawn from the shadow. Even as he directed the weave he tried to impress his image of the dagger with the sense of bone chilling cold, as he had motion into the flame. When the weave was formed he'd cast it outwards away from himself and the entity and see what resulted.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

It felt wrong. The whole process felt wrong. With every burn that he focused he drew in the power of light and warmth and life with one hand and willed cold, sharp death to materialize in the other. Gilanor was caught between these conflicting forces and his concentration wavered as he fought to keep control.

Finally the knife was ready or at least ready enough. Gilanor sensed that though it wasn't perfect, he could not hold it stable much longer. The blade flew from his hand and once more smashed into a target of floating stone. The knife disappeared in a flash of energy and left a coating of ice upon the rock.

"Yes." Diamon praised him in his gravelly voice. "Now you understand. You are the prism. Yours is the ability to diffract and converge. Though it has a cost." Indeed, Gilanor felt quite weak. The effort was much more taxing that the original shadow blade.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

"Just because the truth cannot be perceived doesn't alter the truth or its effects." Gilanor said, faintly feeling as if he was trying to catch his breath after the effort the casting had taken from him. Though tiring the attempt and the result had been more than worth it, he had breached through a barrier that was supposedly impossible to breach. Like the example that he had heard in the class fire amid ice, or water in the dessert.

He had formed the ice from the energy of light, and even the flash of non convert power hadn't been enough to cancel out the effect. The stone was still coated with ice, even if it had taken more effort by far. He had struggled through his ingrained perceptions of the physical and had come through to a place beyond.

"Thank you Diamon, your comments lead my thoughts past where my physical perceptions had bound me. I had before thought I would need to be able to perceive the linkage between the energies before I could make use of it. I had not considered the simple fact that the link was already there, and my will could be harnessed to override my perceptions." Gilanor said, considering whether his will could be made to over right his perceptions enough to allow him to see the truth of the energies. Though that was certainly not an exercise for the present, he needed to rest before he tried such an exercise again.

Was this place what allowed him to reach such an achievement he would need to test the process again in his own rooms. Though now that he knew for certain it was possible nothing would stop him from achieving it again in another place, for that he was resolved, no matter how long it took to win through.

"The Professor spoke of forming a door of earth energy, and walking through it to return to the room. Perhaps I should take a moment to rest first though before I try such." Gilanor said, his voice soft with fatigue, amazed at the amount of effort he had put into the weaving of the dagger.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"Allow me, prentice." Diamon offered. The glow at the tips of the crystals extended grew brighter. Glows of light lanced out into a nearby rock face and a clear rectangle opened within it. Beyond it, Glianor could see the rainbow lights and the prisms that sent him into this realm.

"So I did for your master, the first time he visited here." Diamon said in his gravelly voice. "Be well, prentice. Visit again whenever you wish."
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

"Thank you for your assistance Diamon." Gilanor stated, trying to bring his tired mind into a centred state so that he could view the weave that Diamon had constructed. He at least want to see the mechanism which he need to use to exit this place once before he might need to construct it for himself.

Only after he managed to view the weave would he step through the doorway and no doubt return to the Professor's room.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

The weave itself was quite simple, merely a rectangle shaped mesh of earthen threads without much form or pattern. However, once such a shape was made the energies of this place knew how to react. They streamed into it and formed a brilliant weave of rainbow light and crystal lattice.

Gilanor saw the familiar ordered cascade of color that prisms generated as he passed through and found himself once more in the professor's room. The rainbow lights faded from his vision. The prisms were once more out of phase scattering their rainbows over the walls, looking like nothing more than a magickal decoration. Gilanor of course knew better.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

Gilanor merely stood there thinking for a few flickers as he considered what this short lesson had taught him. It seemed strange that such a break through might come in such a short span of time. Yet now was perhaps not the best time to dwell on it, as his fatigue might flaw his considerations. Turning for the door to the room his intentions focused now on getting some rest, before seeking to undertake the start of what he knew would be something fasinating.

Return to “Gulanadur Archive”