He that sleeps here swims: Dorian Drake Samheen 25th

Moderator: Mods

Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

He that sleeps here swims: Dorian Drake Samheen 25th

Post by Shaeliana »

The morning dawned cold and gray, clouds ushering in a front over night. Wind whipped in off the mer, chilling the air further and though the air was somewhat damp, it didn't have the smell or feel of rain. At least not yet. The sky was light gray, clouds that might produce a mist but no serious rain. The dark heavy clouds were well to the south on the horizon, across the mer.

Outside, it was quiet save the soft twittering birds greeting the dawn with songs as they sought out their morning meal.
[color=hotpink][i]The secret of success is sincerity. Once you can fake that you've got it made.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

Dorian rose, brushing a kiss across the sleeping wife's brow, and put on his clothes, the shirt and the plain canvas trousers, then the rope sandals. It was time to row out onto the water and get some serious fishing done. No matter he was still a bit tired from the labour at the new shack; no matter that, there was work to be done. Winter was coming, it was best to work every moment of light, for soon the days would be mighty short and the lake locked in ice.

He wondered where the cat had gotten to, and decided that he would have to look around for her later. First though, it was time to go out onto the water. His nets were folded on his heavy shoulder, and his gaff was in his hand, the knife at his belt. It was only a matter of loading the boat and pushing it off the sand, and trying not to fall when he got in. Then it was rowing, strong clean strokes, meant to pull the boat past the waves of morning tide and into the waters where the nets might bring a catch.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Without waking, the blonde's lips pulled up slightly into what looked like a smile as Dorian brushed his lips across her forehead. At the door, a soft thud greeted the fisherman as he pushed it open accompanied by an unhappy yowl. Cat was forgiving however, pouncing on Dorian's feet with a loud purr.

Close to the shore the waters were dark and murky, floatsom still littering the water near the shore. Further out, past where wayward cannonballs had pounded into the mer, the waters were almost clear and the fish abundant. Overhead, the low gray clouds had lifted and paled some as the misting stopped and several lake gulls flew low over the mer searching for breakfast.

Suddenly, one dived into the blue water, wings spread wide at the last minute to break it's forward motion and then with a strong downward thrust, it rose again, wiggling silver in it's yellowish beak as it took to the air once again.
[color=hotpink][i]The secret of success is sincerity. Once you can fake that you've got it made.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

Dorian petted the cat, smiling. It was good to see her back again. It was good to be out on the lake, and fishing too. It did not take much to make Dorian Drake happy, and this was more than enough to raise his spirits.

He rowed along on the mer, noting the current and the way the gulls were moving. That would tell him where the school of fish was, so that he could sling the nets to best advantage. Out on the water, he had much more grace, and had the practice of many long hours of fishing to help him. It was what he did; he was a fisherman, raised by a fisherman, and even before that he hunted fish. So in one form or another, he knew fishing.

Once he was certain, he shipped the oars and carefully put them away, gathered his nets and sent them out in a smooth swirl, opening out before they struck the water, propelled by the big muscles of his arms and shoulders.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Considering the beating the land had taken, fishing was good. Not outstanding, but still good. Regardless the maelstrom that man unleashed upon nature, the circle of life remained the same and that brought fish closer to the surface to feed. That there were fewer fish was regrettable, but time and nature would take care of that too, eventually.

Gray skies hung low over the gray mer, a chill wind blowing off the waters. Spying the commotion of fish near the surface, a young gull dived down to snatch up a wriggling breakfast and instead got caught in the net.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

"Hold on there !" Dorian said, pulling the net close to get to the struggling bird and release it; if he lost some fish, it was no matter. The gulls told him where the fish were, betimes, and he admired the way they flew. They had nested on the rocks...where he had lazed in the sun, with his family, so long ago, black-headed ones and spotted ones. Fish he could net again. No doubt he would get a few jabs with a beak for his trouble, but the bird was probably afraid, there was no malice in it. He reached for the trapped bird, careful not to overbalance.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Indeed, as the figherman reached for the trapped animal, it attempted to flap its wings, further entangling itself in the net while it aimed vicious jabs at the attacking hands. Hands bloodied from the half dozen hits the gull managed of the several dozen tried, the creature was free of the net which began to sink back into the mer, wriggling fish gulping in gasps of oxygen laden water. Released, the bird squawked, one wing not extending out fully and it landed on the far end of the boat, eyeing the fisherman balefully as it fluttered the damaged wing slowly, testing it.

While Dorian lost some of his catch, it was still decent though it seemed a larger proportion were smaller, younger fish than usual. Still that left eight larger fish and several dozen in the midsized range.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

He'd been cut up worse, and didn't mind a few wounds. The bird was only scared, and he could easily understand that. Dorian was not adverse to sharing, and his lobster traps needed repairs, so he had no immediate use for fish guts. He kept 4 large fish, and three dozen midsize; the rest went back into the water anyway. One of the midsize was seized and dispatched.

Breakfast on the water was shared this time, Dorian tossing the scraps to the bird. "There," he said. "I'm trying to be friends." He left the bird alone then, and peacefully gathered his nets in, folding them properly. It was time to head back, to sell what he didn't want to keep for dinner, for himself, Maranda, and the family down the way.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Noisily, the gull hopped down into the boat, pecking at the fish remains while warily keeping one eye turned to watch the fisherman nervously. Once the meal was done, it stretched its wings and after a few test flaps, launched itself from the boat to resume skimming the waters in search of more food.

Back home, Dorian met a much friendlier greeting as Maranda saw him coming in. Squatted down beside the water's edge, cleaning a pot out with sand, she rinsed it, set it aside and stood up as Dorian approached, her smile warm and broad.

"By the light, Dorian! What happened to yer hands, love?" she tood his hands and turned them so she could see the ragged tears the bird's beak had left. "Be sure and wash 'em good once ye've finished with yer fish and I'll put some salve on 'em. Don't want them growin' putrid," she kissed his lips softly.

"Looks as if ye've a good catch," she eyed the fish appreciatively. "I was just takin' Lucy some lakeweed," she offered as she moved back to the water's edge to fetch her pot. Hitching her skirts up to keep them out of the water, she waded out, knife in hand.

"Hard for her ta bend over as far along as she is," she explained as she began to cut the tender young shoots and deposit them in her pot. Up the shore, thin trails of smoke rose up from the front of the new neighbor's small shack.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

Dorian nodded, knowing his wife knew best. "Take these," he said, giving over two big fish to her, to take to the neighbours. He then set up gutting and stringing the fish, to take them to town to sell, apart from the other two big ones, which were for the two of them to eat for dinner. After the work was done, he washed his hands carefully, and if she was back, he'd have the salve, if she wasn't, he'd stroll off to town in his clumsy way and try to gain a few coins, and feed some people.

He didn't think the town was really back in business yet, but he'd have to look in on the inn...ruined once, being rebuilt, now probably ruined again. His Maranda's Aunt was good at looking after herself, but times had been difficult lately.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Taking the fish from her husband, Maranda landed another quick kiss. "Yer the grandest, Dorian," she beamed a smile at him. "I'm sure they'll be pleased ta pieces," she added as she dropped the fish for the neighbors into her pot and headed down to the water to cut lakeweed and sea apples.

Not far from where Dorian worked, she hiked up her skirts well above her knees and waded back out into the mer, knife in hand to harvest vegetables for dinner as she sang a happy song. As Dorian began to gut fish, cat showed up meowing hungrily, pacing impatiently around Dorian's legs. Finished gathering, the blonde headed up the shore to the neighbors, after letting her skirts back down and was back soon. Putting enough water in the bucket to cook the lakeweed, she was busy watching it as Dorian returned with his stringers of cleaned fish to sell.

"Just take a minute ta put salve on those cuts," she said as she hurried into the house, returning flickers later with a gray tin filled with a slightly yellow-brownish greasy ointment. Dabbing it on gently, she finished and put the lid back on the tin.

"Tonight we'll want ta cover those I think. For now try not to scrape it all off. It'll keep dirt from gettin' in," she offered before looking at this fish. "Nice catch," she remarked, forhead creasing into a small frown.

"Be careful Dorian. Lucy tells me inside the city's dangerous. Folks that're hungry are liable ta do anything," she kissed his cheek. "Don't go gettin' yerself hurt worse," she smiled.

Inside the city things were rough. Hunger was evident everywhere and eyes wide with longing watched the fisherman as he walked along the streets with his catch. As he neared the district that housed the basillica, a young woman ran out to catch him.

"Oh good sir," she grabbed hold of his sleeve and held on tightly. Three small children followed after her. "My children are hungry but as my husband was killed, I've no money left ta pay for food. Trade ya services for four small fish," she pleaded pathetically. "I can cook and sew fer ya," she offered urgently.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

Dorian happily kissed his wife and obediently took her ministrations to his hands. "As you say, wife, I will do. I'll return in a while." He wasn't worried; he was brawny, and also had a generous way. The man who came to steal might be given what he needed, whether it be fish for dinner or a good solid smack.

He didn't mind the woman too much, but did step to the side as she grabbed at him. Maranda would have ten fits if he didn't. "Know any midwifing ?" Dorian asked. "There's a couple out at the docks, that could use a woman who knew the ways of birthing." Something told him, perhaps the fae blood, that the heavily gravid woman next door would need some help. He didn't know of that lore, nor did Maranda, and if you could help, you had the obligation to do so. "You can pay me by that task." He handed over fish to her, five of the midsize, even if she couldn't pay. The family you feed today for free, might be around in better times with good coin.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Blinking dumbly a few times, the woman finally shrugged and hugged on of her three children to her side. "Don't know that I'd go sa far as ta call m'self a midwife, but I've birthed three o'my own and helped in the birthin' of my sister's two. Unless the babe comes wrong, should be okay," she relied almost as if talking to herself, then suddenly turned her eyes on Dorian.

"Which o' the docks is this? How'll I know how ta find you. Or her? D'ya know if she's dropped yet?" the questions rattled off as the young mother took the fish from Dorian, pleased to have done so well in this barter. There were those who'd demanded a much sterner price, some asking things she wouldn't do though at times she had come close after watching her children go hungry several days in a row.

"Thank ye.... " she trailed off no knowing his name. "Names Doris," she added quickly. "Pleased ta make yer acquaintance," she smiled, revealing a mouth marred by two broken teeth in the front. But, there was a new light in her pale blue eyes.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

"I am Dorian Drake, the fisherman," he said, in his slow and solid way. He might not be the fastest thinker in the city, but he was steady. Nor was he the most clever conversationalist, but he considered his words and plodded them out with thought. "When someone calls for you on these streets to the birth, you must go; that is the payment. I know naught of birthing, so I can't tell more than that. Feed your children. Each day you are ready to help, I will be back with food." He gave her an amiable nod, and then raised his voice again, calling the rather plain salestalk, "FISH for sale ! Who needs fish ?"
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Dark brown eyes stared up at the fisherman, wide with wonder to match the woman's gaping mouth.

"E..ev..ery.. d.day?" she stammered, clearly having trouble taking this in. "Ye'll... bring food every day til the birth?" she parroted back, unable to believe her ears, watching for any sign of trickery or deceit. Seeing none, her lips spread into a smile and she nodded enthusiastically.

"I'll be here Mr. Drake, sir," she bubbled. "Me and my kids'll be here and be ready," she assured him as she gathered them to her like a mother hen and ushered them away, glancing over her shoulder a time or two looking at Dorian in awe.

Only flickers after his announcement that the fish were for sale, the young man was surrounded by folks, fearful faces inquiring as to how much as they counted through what little coin they had left.

From outside the ring of possible buyers, a tall well dressed man coughed and cleared his throat. Dark hair framed a swarthy face with intense blue eyes and what could only be described as a smug smile.

"Half a crown for everything you've got," he announced in a strong tenor voice while the eager faces around the fisherman fell as they turned around to see who was taking their hopes for supper. Several stuffed frustrated hands in their pockets and scurried off but most stayed put to see how this would play out.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

"That's too much for these fish," Dorian Drake said, unperturbed. This man would not be around next week, but the faces he saw in the crowd were ones he knew. Ones who had bought in the past, and would in the future, once these lean times were done. "I'll sell you five, at the same as the rest pay. Folk are hungry. I'll bring more fish tomorrow. And I've other chores that need doing, for those who can't pay." There was an inn that needed hands to help repair it, he knew that.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Complete disbelief registered on the nobleman's face though he stopped short of allowing his mouth to drop open. He stood for only a handful of flickers watching the fisherman dole out his wares to the hungry around him before striding off, obviously unhappy. Dorian's pockets weren't bulging with coin when he was finished, but he did have promises from five men to spend some time assisting the rebuilding of the Laughing King.

The streets of the ciy were bustling with activity as folks worked to clean up the destruction and repair what was left or rebuild. Large wagon loads of shattered and burnt wood hauled debris out through the gates to be dumped out away from the city. Other wagons loaded with fresh lumber and stones for building, made their way back into the city.

The tavern hadn't taken a direct hit and while there was some bit of fire damage to the roof from falling embers, as a whole the inn had taken very little damage though the conflict had stopped their work. Even now, there was only one man working, on the roof repairing burnt shingles.

Word had it that Aunt Dora was gone to Roque d'Ancourt with a young man to obtain some supplies they needed that were not to be found in Kings Court after all the airships destroyed so much of the city. The two were supposed to return the next day if all went well.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

Dorian took people at their word, for his was as good as gold. He didn't mind that the coins were few, and the promises many; these times were hard, and winter had yet to come. There had to be a city left for him to sell fish, in the springtime, so right now, he would do what he could to help. He had no skills at woodcraft beyond his boat and such things, but he could fish. And fish, he would, for there were mouths to feed.

He left word with the man on the roof that Maranda and Dorian were back at the docks, and he would come by with fish soon. It was time to head home, and have dinner. He made his slow way back toward the shore, pausing to stroll along the edge of the water, looking for the tiny crabs which would make a nice soup if they were simmered all night. That would be a help on the morrow, for if he was out in the deeps looking for the shoals of bluefin, it was a far way to row.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Search though he might in the still murky waters near the city, no crabs were to be found. His arrival home was greeted by the smells of something savory. Maranda had rebuilt the fire left by Lucy and Dan'el and had hung the pot over it. An assortment of colors bubbled in the small cauldron creating the mouthwatering aroma the filled the evening air. The fish had been skewered onto sticks ready for roasting and were propped against the post that held the rod holding the cooking pot over the fire.

From the direction of the mer and behind the small shack they called home, he heard the sound of his wife's voice, humming softly.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

Dorian ambled back home, smiling at the sound of Maranda singing and at the aroma of dinner. He didn't mind cooked food, though for preference he'd eat the fish raw.

"Maranda," he said, in greeting, and happily took her into his arms and hugged her, and kissed her. "Made a few coins today; folk are hungry and poor. Had some promise to help rebuild the tavern. Heard word Aunt Dora's off collecting some things for it, and she'll be back soon." That was a lot for him to say, so he then went to put away his stringers and see how her day had been.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

The sun had sunk below the horizon staining the sky with shades of red and orange fading into shades of purple further up in the sky. As the fisherman rounded the corner of the shack, he saw his wife standing at the water's edge next to a post that had been part of a dock at one point in time. On the post hung her something cloth. Turning at his greeting, she smiled, grabbed her chemise from the post and ran up to him, the gauzy cloth clutched across her chest as she returned her husband's embrace.

"Wasn't sure when you'd be back and thought maybe I had time ta bath," she explained. "Come with me. We can swim," she urged pulling on his hand, tugging ever so slightly towards the water.

The beach was deserted, even the birds were absent now. Far out on the horizon, the small black shadow of a two masted ship could be seen.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

Dorian never had to be forced into the water, it was keeping him out of it that was more of the trouble. He went where led, shedding his clothes with the aplomb of one who wore them merely for the convenience of pockets and so he wouldn't run into shocked people as he strolled around town. Maranda was beautiful indeed, and a romp with her in the water was a fun time.

He did glance towards the ship though, wondering if it might be trouble.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Laughing softly, the blonde skipped back to the post where she deposited her chemise and quickly slipped out of her skirt. She loved the water, loved the feel of the gentle waves as they came lapping into the shoreline. However, she didn't feel safe to go out further than waist deep by herself. With Dorian here, she could go out further without fear and enjoy the freedom of the bouyancy of the water.

Already nearly undressed, she finished just before Dorian and with a giggle raced ahead of him into the water, not stopping until she was thigh deep in the waters and turning around to watch her husband. This time of day, the water was warmer than the air, and she backed slowly into the waters comforting embrace.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

Dorian grinned, and strode into the water a moment later, holding out his arms to seek the embrace of his beautiful wife, smiling happily at her laughter. "Ah, my wife, my Maranda," he said, "Was there ever a man so lucky as me ?" The water was a Selkie's true place, even with his skin lost for so many years.

The two had had little time together, what with the neighbour's problems, their recent split from each other as he had left to deal with the city's problems, and the work they'd been doing recently to rebuild their own lives here. They led simple lives, without any glory, but that was more than enough for a Drake. To fish, to live in peace with the world, that was all a Drake needed...that and the love of a good wife. It was a fine thing indeed to have time for romance.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Without hesitation, she went to him and snuggled into his arms, her own wrapped around his strong body. As she did, she felt herself responding to him and turned her face up to his.

"If we're too long at this, we'll not get much washin' or swimmin' done," she teased softly as she moved one hand around to nudge a wayward lock of black hair back away from his forehead. All the while, the look in her eyes told Dorian that she didn't much mind if she missed getting washed or swimming.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Return to “On the Water Archive”