Lunch at Pier Seventeen [27th noon]

Moderator: Mods

Rosalie Marcada
Baroness Marcada, Ambassador World's Mouth

Post by Rosalie Marcada »

Rosalie paused to regard Ashari. Her instinct stirred her.There was a chance here. A chance to influence the sensual imperial politics to a very large degree. Perhaps it was sin, but .. this was the Empire after all. She took a careful sip of her red wine as Ashari continued talking. "The Order of the Lilies I think it is called. I haven't personally witnessed it. It is a rather new institution," Rosalie answered.

"Vendetta, you speak of vendetta, which is always part of business," Rosalie understood with a curt nod. For that Ashari had her sympathy, especially in her current circumstances.

"If it is to be profitable, the Mouth must be interested," she smiled, indicating Ashari to speak more of it "Yes, those Panlings, they invited the hatred of certain quarters, that is not sound business." This talk of a school of etiquette.. it spoke to Rosalie's soul as well as her instincts for profit. Yes, surely that was what was lacking in this rough capital.. a little bit of class. It made sense the city had once contained it but got drowned out in all the violence.

Rosalie leaned forward, clearly interested "Your plans interest me miss Gywien. However the details are vague. Be more specific. What will you start, what do you expect of the Mouth, of me.. and what will it gain us in return? Do you have a business plan? Do you have other sponsors? Have you an arrangement with local authorities?"

Was it sad for Langredoc that Rosalie did not notice him, intent as she was on Ashari? Perhaps it was a relief.
[size=84][color=darkred]This character has resigned and is now a NPC.[/color]
Ashari
Moderator & Coordinator Mer Cities

Post by Ashari »

"I wish them the best of luck - though it's hard for me to imagine that they will fare much better in World's Mouth than the Rose's had here," she shrugged, not overly concerned with the distant institution's business practice nor whether or not they were successful beyond being viewed as common whores in a high-priced brothel.

"Vendetta indeed - though I must admit a great loathing toward the fact that it's not to me which such vendetta was raised, but toward the entire Red Rose Guild. I hope that by dropping the guild I drop such predjudices." One could always hope. It was the last thread maintained in difficult times.

Not feeling as though she need comment futher on the situation with Panlings, nor the hatred they incurred, Ash allowed the topic to pass without unecessary stagnation. There was only so much that might be said of their mistakes, as well as the improper practices of Larbeido who allowed his guild to fall. Ash, for one, didn't want to dwell on his or her mistakes regarding the Rose, instead to learn from them. Rosalie seemed to agree with her assessment on the growing animosity felt toward them, something which recieved a gentle nod on her part.

Rosalie was an animal of her environment, a creature of money and business - something which Ash was merely fledgeling. The Ambassador's interest was met with sparkling ambition in the mage's eyes. She allowed a smile, one that betrayed cunning. "I'm delighted to answer your questions, Baroness," she began while ordering her thoughts.

"It should be a school for etiquette and training in elements that will help an aspiring courtier - I would expect mostly second sons and daughters of merchant class and higher, though I've no bias against anyone able to pay for the schooling.

"Currently, I'm negotiating with the Bardic College in hopes of borrowing time of a few of their masters to ensure that my students recieve training in the arts. I have, indeed, recieved financial backing from our Thomas Crane as well as from several other notable merchants." She did not designate who leaving them their annonymity. "The family Marcada would be welcome to join the ranks of those who have the foresight to appreciate my school's profitibility.

"The Temple of Pecunia is securing my contracts and bestows upon them the legalities of the Empire as well as the blessing of Pecunia - and her wrath if necessary." The Golden Lady, though helpful in business also had her negative side when deals were not upheld. It was a peculiarity which Ash enjoyed very much.

"I suppose, though, the most telling sponsor I've recieved is Caesar Andolin Azarin, who's offered his seal and considers my school to be worth investing in," she said this last with a bemused smirk. One couldn't help being proud of having such an important backer. "In regards to your other questions: What you will gain is money, my dear - the common denominator. You may invest your money in shares, in return you will be compensated via half-yahrenly dividends based on how well the school is doing.

Leaning in closer, Ash's voice dropped to a volume meant only for her and her luncheon companion. "There are.. of course.. several other benefits of having access to the up and coming courtiers - for at such a young age while budding and learning they can be quite... how do I say it? - Pliant, in regards to who they support and assist in whatever ways might be necessary. One never knows how handy it might be to have just such a thing available."

Where Rosalia a man - particularly a single man, such statement could easily be read in regards to sexual favors. The Ambassador was a married woman, however, and Ash had no intention on suggesting openly that she might have want of some company more befitting her age and physical necessities. Still, she took a sip of her wine. "What other questions have you, Lady Ambassador?"
[color=#000000][i]"What of the soul was left, I wonder, when the kissing had to stop?"[/i]
-- Robert Browning. [/color][size=75][i]Avatar by: [url=http://vyrl.deviantart.com/]vyrl[/url][/i][/size]
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

wandering to the side to explore and investigate, though he never strayed too far from the warrior. Perhaps in Trothgard wilderness he leave the young wolf to follow him around, but in Citadel that meant risking losing the cub and having to search for it, hoping it was not taken as a pet by some denizen of the city, or worse yet, a mean for a hungry soul. There were not many guests at the restaurant and scent of food was much to the cub’s liking, Reiker’s small head peeking from between Langredoc’s ankles, his tongue lolling out. The waitress moved to his side, even before he managed to step in, starting to say something, but waiting for him to finish. With a glance at a muscular man sitting with two of his friends she swallowed a non-existent lump and nodded. “Master Crane just arrived and ordered for himself and his companions. Will you be joining him?”

Michael for his part ignored the girls, focusing on the bottle of whiskey he was sharing with his thugs, and ruining the sedate atmosphere by occasional rude laughter at something the smaller of his companions was saying. It was as if he never sent them the wine, though when the time to pay came the girls would find that the bill had been taken care of by Master Crane and that he hoped they would come again to the Pier. For now the could enjoy their conversation and their meal, though a wolf cub kept eyeing them and the lamb before Rosalie hungrily as the girl delivered the lobster in butter and Lady Ambassador’s lamb.
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Rosalie Marcada

Rosalie did not see the predator for her leg of lamb. She would perhaps have taken precaution if she had, but as it was Ashari was distracting her with a venture that simply spelled profit and had her heart racing. Yes. She just knew this would proof to be an important break and all of that because of simply strolling around in the Citadel. I should get out more.

Michael too got ignored. Impolite persons simply were. Sending her no wine while sending Ashari some was one, only to be topped by his loud behaviour which made Rose stiffen each time he rose his voice. When Rosalie finally saw that the bill was taken care off, she was more than a little annoyed. He might have thought himself a big boy but Ambassador was not amused.

"Now, signora Gywien, I like what you are saying," Rosalie smiled, leaning back after the meal, twirling her wine. "The Caesar is of course already a great and important voice in the matter, but I think a little foreign backing in the form of money never hurt either. You need not even mention our involvement. Think on it as charity." Rosalie's smile was definitely wolvish."The Citadel can use a bit more etiquette."

When Ashari sketched the possibilities it was not the sensual that hit Rosalie's senses. Instead she leaned forward and whispered "I would very much welcome to receive, from time to time, so extra ordinary students for some .... extra tuition.. in exchange for some extra tasks. Just a carefully whispered word here or there."
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

Ashari's mouth began to salivate as soon as the platter was set before her. The sweet taste of seafood drifted from plate to palate as she allowed Rosalie to suggest a merger - something which was beneficial to them both. The idea had great promise, and with both Severo and Marcada as backers to her claim of ability, Ash couldn't think of a single reason why it might be a bad idea. "Sounds perfect, Lady Ambassador," she purred and found great pleasure in their agreement. It wasn't just from the business perspective, but also from the idea that she might have opportunity to meet with the interesting Westerner again. That, in itself, was reason enough to agree to accepting her offer.

"I'm no stranger to private deals. Consider it our little secret." Ash gave a knowing look at her suggestion of borrowing students. "So long as I knew they were not to be sent on any assignments that might put them in harm's way I would have no trouble loaning you a student now and again." Exactly what Rosalie had in mind, Ash didn't know, but a table at Pier 17 was hardly the place to discuss such intimate matters. They would have time later - perhaps at the Baroness' Party. "But, let us move from such masculine like conversation.. mmm?" She suggested. Their meals finished, and with the mention of Michael picking up their bill, Ash was fully prepared to take full advantage of his hospitality. "Sweeter talk, over dessert seems more appropriate." With it offered, she waived down the waitress and put in an order of two of whatever dessert was on special.

"Tell me of your family, Baroness - do you mind if I call you Rosalie, or is that too personal what with it being our first meeting? I ask because - well, I find myself enjoying your company very much, and I should hate to be too caught in etiquette to miss a chance at friendship. It is such a rarity to find a kindred spirit." She took pause to give Rosalie a chance to answer as well as have a sip of her wine.
[color=#000000][i]"What of the soul was left, I wonder, when the kissing had to stop?"[/i]
-- Robert Browning. [/color][size=75][i]Avatar by: [url=http://vyrl.deviantart.com/]vyrl[/url][/i][/size]
Langredoc
Civus

Post by Langredoc »

Langredoc checked on the little wolf before turning his attention to the waitress and back to the man introduced as Master Crane. He noticed the reaction of the woman while she revered to the man and it made him even less happy. Master... right.. the young warrior concluded.

This would not be a meeting that he would enjoy probably. He watched the little one, the little wolf was licking its snout while watching food on other tables. It brought the warrior's grin back to his face.

“Yes...” he finally answered the waitress. No point in waiting anyway. “And do you have some meet scraps and water for my little friend here ?”

Deep inside him he prepared for a meeting he had hoped he would never have any more after he left the mercenary camp. He got a hold on the little wolf to make sure that he would not get away. He betted that "Master Crane" would make a fine mercenary captain. O well, maybe he would pay for the boose, that would be something good.
Last edited by Langredoc on Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[quote]I am the warrior of the raven, traveling from war to war feeding on the dead and the living alike. Until darkness fall's.[/quote]

Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

While Rosalie and Ashari might not have paid any attention to the tiny predator, the wolf cub certainly was interested in the roasted lamb before Baroness and with a look towards Langredoc to ensure he was not being observed, made its way to the two ladies, almost tripping over his own feet on the way there. He did not make it all the way there, as the waitress scooped him up, making him yelp and then growl, but soon she earned herself its eternal love with the simple fact she had food scraps and was willing to share. That left Langredoc to face infamous and at this moment easily irritable Michael Crane. The brutish crime lord sat waiting though he looked up as soon as the warrior moved closer, his thugs shifting and turning to face him, ready to spring up it things got messy. “Looking for something? This table here is taken. You can have another, provided you can pay for a meal.” The smirk he made as he looked over the warrior showed he obviously doubted Langredoc had two banners to rub together, let alone pay for a meal.
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Rosalie Marcada

"Oh, please do," Rosalie smiled, pleased that the lady knew to ask first, "Please do.. Ashari." Ordering the same thing for dessert as Ashari just had Rosalie pondered what to tell of her family "My father as you may know is a councillor on the Merchant's Council, a councillor of some tenure and well respected. "

Hated would probably be a better word, but such words would not come over Rosalie's lips. "I have a brother of whom I'm very, very proud, Ramius. He's the commander in chief of the Condotierre, though he will probably laugh and say I'm using the wrong title." She gave a quirk of her lips. "Others think him handsome though to me he is foremost my big brother. A little too protective, but so safe, a place one can always run to. He is in the Citadel at the moment, visiting because of my wedding."

Pausing for a moment she then added "Of course, now I have a new familias. I have two step children, though in fact they are older than me. Still brats." She chuckled at that, confident on her ability to control the spoiled twins. "Lucinda and Eisolf Marcada. They consider themselves some of the finest of Citadel nobility. They have not yet gotten over the shock of having gained a new stepmother."
Last edited by Rosalie Marcada on Wed May 28, 2008 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

"Ramius, handsome and a commander... I should wonder why I've not yet met him," she smiled wickedly. Ashari had a penchant for men in uniform. What with her recent man-troubles she doubted she needed to add a third gentleman to the list. Though, there was the chance that this Ramius was lonesome and in need of attention. Perhaps some company would do him well. "It's lovely that he was able to come so far for your wedding, though, very telling of his want of making sure you are safe and taken care of. That's charming." Charming indeed... It would be on her agenda to learn a bit more about the Condotierre and their Commander.

"Your step-children, I do believe I've seen them both around the city, though I've spoken to neither." I'm not up to their standards... let them wait, let them see what I will be and then they can decide who is worth talking to and who isn't. Once Ashari was the Caesarii there would be no question as to who deserved attention, though, respect was another matter entirely. Rosalie, though head of the house, seemed to be suffering from a similar situation. She ought to be respected by her stepchildren, but that wasn't the case. Ash wondered if the noblity at court would ever accept her. She had no title. "They are twins, correct?"
Rosalie Marcada

"Well, he brought the Lykos with him," Rosalie said with a harmless shrug, "So, the trouble was not so great. Airships are a very comfortable way to travel." Thank Dominicus he did too. For it had allowed Rosalie to act decisively.

The waitress brought their plates and with a smile Rosalie looked upon her plate. "Yes, twins and quite a handful." Looking up at Ashari she added "Should you come upon information about any of their dealings, I would be suitably grateful to learn of it. I shall of course return the favour. In my position one learns things." She didn't think she would have to point out that she employed a spymaster. No doubt all embassies did.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

The sweet confection brought about a smile from Ashari as she lowered her spoon into it's delightful depths. "Mmmm, yes," she said in the midst of swallowing, then licking her lips of the dessert's taste. "Should I hear anything of them I will be sure to let you know." She imagined Rosalie would be a worthwhile ally in this sinister city. Perhaps it would be she who would help secure her amidst the tangle of aristocracy. She seemed to be doing well enough herself, considering her background of being a Merchant Princess. Though, if Lucienda and Eisolf were any indication, Rosalie wasn't much welcomed in those circles.

Taking a second, and final, bite of the delicate meal ending, Ash savored it. She'd never been particularly fond of sweets aside from fruits. Chocolates, sugars and caramels were never her thing, but every so often one needed a little splurge. "Rosalie, I must say, this has been a delightful lunch," she folded her hands infront of her, pushing the plate forward just a bit. "We should do this again sometime - before your engagement at the Embassy. Should you find the time send me a letter by Thalas Manse so that we can arrange something suitable for us both." Perhaps by then I can invite her to visit my newly refurbished home. Ashari couldn't wait to get the house up and running again. It had been dormant too long.

Ash waited on the Baroness to stand before she did and then rose as well. Walking with her to the door, Ash flagged over her own carriage and bid the Ambassador farewell until she would hear from her again. To Michael Crane, upon exit, she gave a aknowledging nod, but nothing further.

OOC: Fin for me!
Rosalie Marcada

"Yes," Rosalie agreed, pleased with herself "I think we should. I shall write you and we can come up with something. Of course the invitations to my party shall arrive soon enough too." Taking a few bites of the deliciously sweet dessert she then to put aside her plate, delicately putting her knife and fork just so that the waiter would be clued that the meal was done.

As they walked past Crane she pointedly ignored the man. He had annoyed her with his presumptions. No class. In nothing like his father.

Leaning back in her own carriage Rosalie gave a pleased smile. Another ally found, one who truly needed so that their relationship could be built upon mutual necessity as well as friendship. Her network was slowly growing. She rapped against the roof to signal her departure.

OOC: Fin for me too!
Turi
Special Branch

Post by Turi »

locked, skilled, summarised, archived
[size=75][i][b]"If it were clear in my mind, I should have no incentive or need to write about it. We do not write in order to be understood; we write in order to understand." -C. Day-Lewis[/b][/i]

Avatar by enayla at allavatars.com[/size]

Return to “Outer Ring Archive”