The Sudden Twists of Fate (Sam 29, MT)

Moderator: Mods

Elvin Motricé
Retired staff

The Sudden Twists of Fate (Sam 29, MT)

Post by Elvin Motricé »

OOC: continued from here

Grey Wolf wrote:The soldier shook his head and looked a bit lost for a flicker, before raising his eyes towards Elvin. "I am sorry sir, but this can not wait. I can give you directions on how to reach Lady Manyana's office. When you exit this room just go left and keep to the right hand wall. You can't miss the office since it has her name in front of the door." The soldier waited to see if the Mentor understood the directions before dashing out the door and back to report his findings.

Elvin nodded only once to confirm to guard's instructions and walked out of the room, shaking his head in disbelief when he saw the guard scurrying away. "Strange people. Azarin is kept in the dark and has to find out for himself, hé? Interesting"

Office of the Imperial Scouts Captain - Samheen 29, Morningtide, third mark

Comfortable chair, covered with well worn leather, stood behind the desk made out of sturdy oak standing near the far wall, a wooden plate covering its front, making it impossible to see where the legs of the person sitting behind it were. A small mess of maps was scattered over the table, piling up near where the chair stood. A quill peeked out of the mess somewhere near the edge of the desk, and a surprisingly neat stack of fresh papers lay nearby. Another table lay near the right-hand wall, covered with various woodworking tools and half-finished arrows. And armor stand was to the left, with a rather peculiar looking leather armor on top of it. The leather it was made off was cracked in several places, the color peeling off of it in places, but those that looked at it found it hard to focus their eyes upon the thing. You could see it only if you were looking directly at it, and even then the eyes tended to water before long. There was another chair in front of the desk, this one made out of simple wood, and lacking the back or arm rests.

[hr][/hr]

The Mentor had found the room easily enough and, with the door wide open, could cast in a glance. His interest was peaked by the armour, sensing that it had some sort of enchantment placed upon it. He knocked politely: "I am here to keep a promise..."
"- and so's Mister Motricé." Becca smiled wryly. "He's probably going to go - he's not set anything on fire for a few months, so he's got to be going through withdrawal by now." ~ Becca Acerbi
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

The head of Imperial Scouts was right there, her back turned towards he door, leaning across the table and was going over some maps, when the Mentor called out, causing her to turn and smile over her shoulder. Flipping the map she was examining over, Manyana turned fully and moved to meet him. "Ah, come in, come in. Elvin was it. The fellow that landed in the bath. Sorry about the mess, but....." She shrugged, saying no more.
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Elvin Motricé
Retired staff

Post by Elvin Motricé »

The halfling's demeanor surprised Elvin. Last time they had spoken he had technically been her prisoner and she been outright rude at the time. "I do much prefer this but it makes me wonder what game she's playing..."

He was even more surprised when she talked about the bath. There were only a few people who knew about that. "As to be expected from the head of the Scouts..." Shaking his head he smiled as he stepped in: "It was quite the experience. Although it's not something I'ld like to repeat any time soon."

With an effort of will, the mentor closed the door behind him. "It can't hurt to remind her of my power..." He studied Manyana for a moment, deciding what he'ld say. He wanted to know how much she knew about him and his motives for this visit. He decided that this wasn't the time for true subtleties, besides he didn't have the patience for them at the moment. What he had witnessed in the Thaumataurgist's office had unsettled him. "Do you know why I've come to talk to you?" the sorcerer asked her.
"- and so's Mister Motricé." Becca smiled wryly. "He's probably going to go - he's not set anything on fire for a few months, so he's got to be going through withdrawal by now." ~ Becca Acerbi
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Manyana had some halfling blood in her, but to call her a halfling would not quite do her honor. She was a strange one and none knew who or what she truly was, and she was not telling either. It was only her eyebrows that rose questioningly when Elvin used magick for something as simple as shutting the door, but she said nothing on the matter. Her hand motioned towards the chair in front of her desk as she regarded him for a flicker, and then answered simply. "No. I have several ideas about why you are here, but I do not know. Perhaps you will be so kind as to explain?"
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Elvin Motricé
Retired staff

Post by Elvin Motricé »

Elvin took a seat and sighed: "At first I was going to visit the Imperial Thaumataurgist but seeing as there was a dead body lying in his office and no one really knew where he was I decided to visit someone else," he regarded Manyana for a few flickers, pondering what he would tell her.

"Well, at a certain point I'm going to have to put some trust in people who hold power. Lets start with the simple things and we'll see what happens next."

"I'll be frank. Honestly, I've had enough of these mindgames that are being played. The entire powerplay of the Council and the candidates is destroying this city. The Purple Guard has been disbanded and their replacements are quite incompotent. Meaning that their loyalty does not lie with the Empire. The guards at the gates have been replaced by city guard and they're completely corrupted. Azarin keeps a dark sorceress as his personal advisor. In the meanwhile daemons run rampant and dark arts and murder rule the streets of the Citadel. What I need, lady, is information and some kind of powerbase so that I can do what I need to do to protect the people of the Citadel. I'm getting sick and tired of hearing everything when it's almost too late and of needing to explain myself to corrupt guards that don't do a damn thing to ensure the protection of the people they supposedly serve."

The Mentor leaned back in his chair: "There are several major problems that could bring a whole lot of trouble down upon the entire Empire. The... thing that triggered the massacre at Pan's Temple could summon another Major Daemon to the Citadel if it falls into the wrong hands. And one of the most pressing problems is the absence of a leader. Powerhungry people seek better positions and political moves are being made to that effect. But reality is that we need a new Caesar or Caesari now, one that concerns himself with the wellbeing of the people and who doesn't hold any hidden motives. The Empire is at the verge of a war, one it will lose as things keep evolving the way they're growing right now."
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

There was a briefest flicker of alarm on Manyana's face, when Elvin mentioned a dead body in Simon's office, but she forced herself to remain calm and investigate the matter more at a later time. His next words got a myriad of emotions upon her face, but for the most part she kept quiet, listening to his reasons and his points intently. In the end she merely nodded and fell silent for a flicker or two. "I see. What I don't see is what purpose do I play in all this. Apart from holding a vote at the Council and maybe being able to provide you with some information. Speaking of which, you said quite a lot just now, but it was a monologue. I am still waiting for the question.... If there is one." She sighed. "You paint a pretty dark and gruesome picture, but I am afraid that you misjudge the people terribly. We are trying to make it better. Besides, you accuse a lot of people of misdeeds, without any proof at all. For instance, do you have a witness of the corruption of City Guard? Or perhaps someone who will claim that Imperial Guards are incompetent? Or for that matter that Fauna is indeed a dark mage? It could also be said that you are jealous of her and wish to take her place."
Elvin Motricé
Retired staff

Post by Elvin Motricé »

Elvin studied the head of the Scouts intently and smiled slightly when she mentioned that they were trying to make it better. His smile soon vanished as she continued and he sighed: "A witness to the corruption of the City Guard? I myself could be named one. Touching female visitors inapropriately for one and when they draw a weapon and should be locked up in the city jail knock them out cold and rob them of their weapons and money? Unfortunately the girl disappeared after I brought her to the Menders."

The Mentor leaned back: "You must understand, my lady, that I paint a picture that is spun for a part from what lives in the general populace. As to the incompetence of the Imperial Guard... I won't testify to that for I haven't witnessed their actions up close and I do apologise for mentioning it."

"As for Fauna..." a hard look flashed over the Adhiel's face, "I have born witness to that fact as well. I was her Mentor at the University and I was the one who brought the fact that she was using dark arts under the attention of our council. Apparently a part of the soul from a dark mage has been placed in Fauna and we had secured it but she has sought the protection of the Major Domus so that we can no longer check up on her status and keep that part locked inside her. At the battle against the Changer I witnessed a spell she helped weave and I recognized the dark arts in it. I am sure my two students who were with her at the time can testify to what they have seen although they probably don't know what they have seen," Elvin smiled grimly, "And being jealous of Fauna? Hardly! The things I do are because I think they're the right thing to do. I don't aspire power for power in itself nor do I seek such a bothersome position as assistant to the Major Domus. I don't think Azarin and I set off on the right foot for something like that anyway."

He looked at the head of the Scouts and suddenly knew what he could ask of her. It was an idea that had formed in his head during his recovery from the battle but that he hadn't completely worked out yet. "But this woman probably has the means to help me with this..." "As for a question... Well I'll start with a difficult one. I need the most powerful and trustworthy priest from every good faith, except the Dominican faith in the Citadel and a mindcrafter. I am not sure if you are aware of this but the massacre of Pan's Temple was triggered by a volume of the Liber Malifecarius. I managed to bind it but I don't trust it. I know part of the texts in the book and some part will remain forever closed to me because I am not a practicioner of the dark arts. I have seen how it was made and I know its power and sentience. It needs to be destroyed and I'm not taking any chances with it."
Last edited by Elvin Motricé on Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

As Elvin spoke, Manyana reached for a random piece of paper from her desk and scribbled a few notes here and there, short sets of weird symbols, that had no meaning to the adhiel Mentor. "The best way to deal with Major Domos Assistant would be to bring the issue before him. He is the Major Domos of the Citadel and only the Council or the Caesar can overrule him on this island. If he does not respond satisfactorily, then come to my office on the first mark of Morningtide tomorrow and I will take you to the Council. You can address them yourself and ask them to vote on the matter. But, is it that important? Does it pose danger to the Empire itself?"

His question caused her to pause, before replying, and only after a heavy sigh. "Mother Abeaja of the Mother's temple would be one of those. Father.... Father has no Priests of any power in Citadel I'm afraid. Sister Katrian of the Temple of Pecunia would be the most likely choice, but I am not sure if she will be willing to help. For free at least. You might seek Brother Pietro of the Dort Abbey as well, though my reports say he is a diplomat and not a true priest at all. Mistress Tabeann from the Archives certainly. I can't trace Vanir Elfheim, and you know what happened at the Temple of Pan. You might also go to the Throthgard representatives in the Council. They might be able to find a Priestess of the Ice Queen." He paused and frowned ."Mindcrafters are very scarce these days. And very secretive. I think a girl by the name Ashari was rumored to possess such powers, but I don't know for certain."
Last edited by Grey Wolf on Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elvin Motricé
Retired staff

Post by Elvin Motricé »

Elvin sighed: "I will bring this matter before him, yes. I certainly hope he responds in a correct fashion," when Manyana asked if it was a danger to the Empire the Adhiel looked at her sharply, "To the Empire as a whole... Not as of yet. But to the people of the Citadel it might very well pose a threat. The Dark Arts draw upon sacrifices for some things and it might not be unlikely that Fauna will turn to such practices."

When the Head of the Scouts began summing up priests and priestesses the Mentor took out a piece of paper and quickly scribbled the names down, when Ashari's name came up the mage stiffened slightly. "I suspected something like that... Unfortunately Ashari has been severely injured in the battle against the Changer and hasn't woken up yet. From what I gather Mindcraft has been once developed to battle the Dark Arts specifically and lately there have been so many events that involve the Nether and Daemons that we need them," he looked at the paper in his hands for a moment before inquiring: "Could you perhaps see if you could find someone who practices these arts? You don't have to give me a name or identity. Just give that person mine and tell him why I'ld like to talk. The decision is ultimately his, or hers."
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Manyana frowned slightly at Elvin's words, and chewed upon her lips for a moment. "I will see if I can spare someone to keep an eye on her. No promises though. But, you should still speak with Lord Azarin. Make your doubts public. He stands good chance to become the next Caesar. And we can't have a dark sorceress as Caesar's advisor." She shrugged, and set the matter at rest for now. Until she heard from the Mentor she was not going to involve her in it directly.

Elvin was not the only one making notes, as Manyana scribbled a few of her own as well, the work of Imperial Scout was never done. Though she did not doubt a report about the outcome of the hunt would find its way to her desk, she was not about to pass any bit of information. "I will have to search my notes. Of course, I trust that you will know to value such information. And should you learn anything that might interest the Scouts Guild you will let me know. Yes?"
Elvin Motricé
Retired staff

Post by Elvin Motricé »

Elvin nodded: "Yes, I shall take to Lord Azarin. If I can arrange a meeting with him that is. I'm not known at court," a slight smile played around the Adhiel's lips, "Of course where there's a mage, there's a way..."

The Mentor stood up: "I know how to value such information indeed. I know very well the reputation of the Scouts. I was born in the Empire after all," and again the Adhiel smiled, "Of course I will let you know if I come by knowledge that is of interest to you. So that the Empire may be a safer place for the people who live in it."

The sorcerer stood up: "If ever I can do something for you, Lady Manyana, you will let me know, yes? And if you ever get any information about the Nether and demons surfacing, will you contact me? Some of my pupils and myself are trained and outfitted to deal with such things by the University."
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Manyana paused a moment before nodding finally, weighing the potential gains and losses of her future relation with Elvin. "I prefer to go through official channels, but should I learn of something that is urgent and is not handled with the necesary speed by those in charge I will most definitely seek you out. Sometimes people simply need to take initiative even though it is not their place to do it." She smiled and shurgged at the same time, not rising even though he did it twice.
Elvin Motricé
Retired staff

Post by Elvin Motricé »

OOC: Hehehe! Good one! I forgot to change the first stood up to what I meant! My apologies for that!

IC:
Elvin nodded in agreement when Manyana finished: "That's something most of us learn through bitter experience, yes. Bureaucracy is a fine tool but sometimes too slow and incapable of dealing with urgent problems."

The Adhiel made a small bow: "I'll take my leave now. I still have to find Master Ginneke and discuss some matters with him. Good luck with your work, Lady Manyana."
Last edited by Elvin Motricé on Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Manyana nodded and stood then, offering her hand for the mage to shake. "Seek me out if there is a need. Good luck, Master Motrice." She said no more, waiting for him to leave, before sitting down and compiling a short report about their meeting to serve as a reminder for later.

~Fin~
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Archived with no skills awarded.
[size=100]
Donald heard a mermaid sing, Susy spied an elf,
But all the magic I have known, I've had to make myself.

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Return to “Patrician's Ring Archive”