Back in Town (Chyril 27th Early TT)

Moderator: Mods

Morg

Back in Town (Chyril 27th Early TT)

Post by Morg »

The temple of the goddess of wealth is a sleek, simple building, standing about twenty meters high. Made of smooth, cool blue stone, the temple can only be described as businesslike. Above the gate, the name of Pecunia and the image of the goddess have been carved into the stone, the carvings filled up with gold dust. Templar guards stand watch before the gate, dressed in the finest armour and armed with the finest weaponry money can buy. Around the temple, many merchants have set up their stall, hoping to do business in the divine radiance of the patroness of material gain.

Morgan had only been away from Citadel soil for a couple of tides at most, but it felt like a month. He stepped out of the portal, his deep-set brown eyes surveying the inside of Pecunia's Temple with curiosity. It was the first time he'd travelled by portal, and the experience was an exciting one. If he'd had fewer things on his mind, he might have reflected on how lucky he was not to be worse affected by the experience; fortunately he had a strong stomach, and portal sickness affected him little. As it was he was merely left out of breath and a little exhilarated.

The warding student was dressed in nondescript grey linens rather than his robes. With the University gone, being identified as a mage too easily could impede his progress. Although he'd primarily wanted to return because he had an appointment with Danomel, the University had tasked him with other things in return for being the first through the portal to Citadel. His task was twofold. First, he had to notify the Citadel government of what had occurred. Simple enough. The other task was more challenging: to make sure that the University vaults, which had been left behind in the move, were secured. There was a lot of vault to secure, and only one Morgan. Still, warding's my discipline. Hopefully putting up a cordon around the key bits of the site won't be beyond me - at least until we can move the valuables over to jungle town.

Steadying himself on his feet and standing tall, he surveyed the area. It being a temple of Pecunia, he half expected to be asked to pay for something... or at least to make a donation.

(OOC: Details of the University's tasks for Morgan were discussed with Trist in PM.)
[size=84][i]"She told me I had too much to dream last night..."[/i] - [i]Apprentice of the Universe[/i], Pure Reason Revolution
Avatar by [url=http://pixieface.deviantart.com]Liz Green[/url][/size]
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

The way portal travel was funded was no great mystery, though very few people actually understood how various ser vice providers distributed the money travelers paid to move from one location to the other almost instantly. All that actual users needed to know was that payment was always made up front and that upon exit all that was required was for the traveler to be registered upon arrival. Thus Morgan found himself in an almost austere chamber, a pair of acolytes in the process of replanting a potted plant. A girl set behind the desk, smiling politely, her voice cheerful and pleasant. "Good day, sir. Welcome to Temple of Pecunia in Citadel. If I could just have your name for the records? If you have any questions I would be happy to answer them."
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Morg

Post by Morg »

"Morgan Scrylock, of Dort," the magus replied tersely. He was a slightly different Morgan, he felt, than had last set foot on Citadel isle. For one thing, he'd only had a few marks' sleep that night; for another, he'd nearly been cut down to size by a daemonic crab, and under the bandages on his forearms he had the scars to show for it. In any case, his appearance was haggard. His deep-set eyes seemed even further sunken into his skull than usual, and were bleary and somewhat bloodshot. Even his normally pale skin was paler than normal. The pain and weariness had left their mark.

Initially he was about to move off without further ado, but he decided to use the opportunity to ask a further question - one framed quite innocently. "Just one question. Would you possibly be able to direct me to the University of Magic?" The question didn't require Morgan to say anything false, although it did require him to dissimulate and be a little pragmatically naughty, as he knew perfectly well where the University was. He just wanted to know if the portal clerk did too - and how far the news of its new location had spread.
[size=84][i]"She told me I had too much to dream last night..."[/i] - [i]Apprentice of the Universe[/i], Pure Reason Revolution
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

The woman was, unlike the usual harbor gate guards, quite literate, the quill flying over the paper before her as she noted down Morgan’s name, a single drop of ink staining the paper at his question, the woman’s hand shaking slightly at young mage’s words. She swallowed a lump in her throat. “Uhm, well, you see, it is gone. I mean, yesterday it was right where it has been for yahren, but this morning it was gone. Only a single spire left and even that was empty. City Guard sent men to secure it, but they are keeping away from the ruins since the ground is unstable.” As time passed she grew more secure, her voice less shaky. “I am sorry, but as I told the gentleman who came through a bit earlier, I fear you will have to seek alternative means to whatever your goal is. Until we find out where the University went, we have no way of contacting them.”
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Morg

Post by Morg »

The original dissimulation had been no difficult task, but it was so damn hard to act surprised upon hearing the response. Morgan tried to make a good job of it. Eyebrows raised, eyes widened, mouth open, wavering voice. "Gone?" he exclaimed. "Well..." He tried to imagine how he himself would have felt, arriving after a week aboard ship from Dort to find that the University - the target of all his dreams and hopes back then - had disappeared. It wasn't a happy thought, and helped put a little realism into his feigned shock and depression.

"I suppose I'll have to wait," he concluded gloomily. "If they're still alive somewhere, I suppose they'll have tried to send someone to warn the government." All true. No lies yet. Although it wouldn't have made much difference. He briefly considered telling the portal clerk the truth, but decided against it. After the little charade he'd put on, it would only earn him distrust. Besides, Morgan, face it. You enjoy being the only one in the know.

"Thank you, anyway," he added, a distracted look on his face that was anything but false as he moved away to the opulent temple's exit. He had much to do before his meeting that eveningtide.

(OOC: Fin, I think! Short but sweet. :))
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

The girl tried to insert a word edgewise several times, but Morgan quickly answered all his question himself, and left her to look like a grounded fish, a strangle Meep following the young mage as he left. A flicker later the girl recovered and in an unsteady voice called after him. “You….You are welcome, sir.”

OOC: ~Fin indeed~
Turi
Special Branch

Post by Turi »

This thread has been surprised by a skilling inquisition.

Locked, summarised and archived.
[size=75][i][b]"If it were clear in my mind, I should have no incentive or need to write about it. We do not write in order to be understood; we write in order to understand." -C. Day-Lewis[/b][/i]

Avatar by enayla at allavatars.com[/size]

Return to “Inner City Archive”