UoM: No place like home ~ Samheen 29th, Early MT

Moderator: Mods

Alustariel Urdil
Civus

UoM: No place like home ~ Samheen 29th, Early MT

Post by Alustariel Urdil »

The portal swirled and rippled with activity. There was a quiet hum from the magical energy that hung invisibly in the room. Hands emerged from the portal, followed by arms, a face, legs, torso and a head of flowing silvery hair. Alu stepped down from the portal and into the room that the University housed it in. She had left Alustariel Urdil, she returned now ... after a series of unfortunate events, as Lady Alustariel Alurl of the Anghiril family. Though a title was not enough to entice her to stay in the land of Kislovan, a land where that very title almost killed her.

Alustariel looked around the room, it had been but ten days or so since she had fled the Citadel by this very route. She sighed and reflected on the changes she had experienced. Looking at her silken sari that she wore, she was reminded of friends such as Lord Argil ... did he ever survive the revolt? .... Loraith Kasvenir ... where did he go after sharing her company?. Questions she might never find answers to.

The Urdils had gone to Kislovan to start a new life, now they left the Adhiel kingdom to pick up the threads of their old existance in the Citadel.

So be it Alu told herself silently I'm home

Ashtallion would come through the magical gateway behind her at any moment, she expected. So she stood and waited. After all they'd been through, Asht would probably appreciate a loving, familiar face waiting for him on this side.
Last edited by Alustariel Urdil on Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
[i]Abara kadabara, alakazaaaaam![/i]
Posting on Tuesdays and Thursdays
Alustariel Urdil
Civus

Nothing.

The portal remained still.

Alustariel's expression grew stern as she looked into the portal. No Ashtallion did she see, only her own warped reflection. Something was wrong, her brother was somewhere else. They had become seperated.

Though she feared such a thing, for she had lost him once before, she was fairly certain that Ashtallion was still alive. She had to find out where he was ...

The silver-haired adhiel took a moment to gather herself, she had not even noticed she was shaking, worried sick about where Asht could be.

With a deep sigh she calmed herself and walked purposefully through the great hall and up to the desk of the Registrar, there bowed her head in greeting to the clerk.

"Hello, friend" she began "I am a former student here, my name is Alustariel Urdil. I would like to re-apply to hone my craft here ... that is, if there is an available Mentor to take me on" she hesitated "And ... one other thing, Ashtallion Urdil, my brother, has he been here today?"
Last edited by Alustariel Urdil on Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:23 am, edited 3 times in total.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

The portal opened into the Hall of Ages so there was not far to go to find the registrar. In fact, he was calmly watching Alustariel from his desk waiting to see what she would do.

"There is no need for introductions, Miss Urdil. You have not been gone so long that I would have forgotten you." The registrar commented. "You also mistate your position here. Though you have been on hiatus, you are still enrolled here as a student. Had we thought otherwise, you would have learned the unpleasant repercussions of breaking your compact with the University." He added. "Mentor Auros will no doubt be pleased that you have returned."

At Alustariel's question, the registrar looked up from his scrolls to gaze at her. "I have not seen Mister Urdil since he left with you. Did he not return with you?"
[size=100]
Donald heard a mermaid sing, Susy spied an elf,
But all the magic I have known, I've had to make myself.

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Alustariel Urdil
Civus

"There is no need for introductions, Miss Urdil. You have not been gone so long that I would have forgotten you." the Regsitrar said.

Alu offered a smile and ran a hand through her lustrous strands "You know, that is probably the friendliest thing I've heard all week. I will report to Master Auros then, I had hoped he would be available to help complete my training"

"I have not seen Mister Urdil since he left with you. Did he not return with you?" he said.

Alustariel's face darkened, and her eyes seemed wet though she refused to cry, she had not felt so far apart from Ashtallion since they were seperated on the Mountain of K'tan many years ago. "We left together. I remember that, after we triumphed in a confrontation with some members of a Brotherhood in Kislovan ... though he did not exit the portal here after me" her face was fraught with concern "I suppose I shall speak to Master Auros about that as well. I shall leave you to your work. Many thanks Registrar"

The adhiel bowed her head in thanks and moved off through the University. She felt a sense of 'home sweet home' as she gazed up at it's twenty-three grand spires. And she knew which one was Auros'. She quickened pace towards the four Battle-Magick spires. Alu remembered the first time she had passed this way she had the luck of seeing the marvel of a floating hippo. The Spire she chose was the tower of Physique and Augmentation, which was surrounded by training fields. Auros' office was on the third floor so she dashed up the tower's steps.

She came to the familiar door of the office of Alexu Auros and with no hesitation whatsoever, knocked clearly three times.

"Master Auros, its Alu Urdil" she said through the door.
Last edited by Alustariel Urdil on Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:39 am, edited 3 times in total.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Alustariel was not treated to the sight of a floating hippo this time around. In fact the University seemed less active than she remembered it, or at least less crowded. In the grounds of the Battle Mages, the training fields were busy. A set of archers sent flaming arrows into a wooden target while a second set learned to douse the flames and repair the rampart. The journey up the steps was uneventful and the door swung open at Alu's first knock.

Again all was as it should be. Alustariel found Mentor Auros in the middle of a training regimen. He was sparring against a training dummy made of solid stone while wearing metal gauntlets and boots. She had heard nothing in the hallway, but now Alustariel was greeted by the loud clangs of metal on stone as Alexu pummeled the dummy with kicks and punches. She also noted that the gauntlets and boots did not slow him down in the least.

"So you've returned at last have you?" Her Mentor greeted her. Alexu stepped back from the construct but kept up his assault on the air. "Are you back for good?"
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Alustariel Urdil
Civus

Sari swirling, Alu entered the room. She had missed him and his bluntness of speach. It suddenly occured to her that it had been a great mistake to leave this place before her training was complete, Alexu had only just begun to teach her before she had gone running off to Kislovan.

"You know, as a newly realised member of the Anghiril family you should really address me as your Ladyship" she joked, the smile clear upon her face "Oh, dont be afraid to laugh Alexu, I'm joking"

She watched him for a moment, admiring his stokes, punches and kicks, so precise and powerful. Her grey blue eyes showed a flicker of remorse.

"Yes, I wish to return for good. If you will accept me as your pupil again. I've learned a valuable lesson on my trip" she said the last word bitterly "I am nothing but a pale shadow of my brothers ability, I almost died twice whilst I was away - should I have stayed and continued to train perhaps I would have come out the better for it, but on both accounts I was either beaten bloody or, literally, chased up a tree. I am willing to commit to the art and to the path of a Battlemage"
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Auros snapped off a last spin kick before stepping away from his sparring area. He let the gauntlets fall off his hands with a clatter and strode over to stand before Alustariel. He was not even breathing hard from his exercise.

Alexu began to examine her. Flickers turned into burns as he started at the top of her head and gazed slowly down the length of her body. At times, he appeared to be looking beyond her rather than at her. "The healers in Kislovan did a good job of patching you up." He said at last. "So you got your nose bloodied in the real world and have come back to school. For the right reasons that is wisdom and for the wrong ones rank cowardice." He said simply. "So answer me this, Miss Urdil. Why do you wish to resume your studies?"
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Alustariel Urdil
Civus

Eyes filled with admiration as she appreciated his spinning kick, Alustariel walked further into the room. It was a question that she was fairly sure that he had asked her before.

"I want to be stronger, Auros" she said "There is a desire in me to change a lot of injustices that I come across in this world, such as the Brotherhoods murderous crusade in Kislovan, but I do not have the power to do anything about it. Yes to run from there could be seen as cowardice, but the alternative was death. The only wisdom I can now see is gaining the power I require to ensure that the next time it happens I will be ready"

"And besides, the odd sparring match with you was quite a treat" she admitted with a light hearted smile

Alustariel ran a hand through her unkempt silvery hair, only just realising that she had not brushed or combed it since she was admitted to the Temple of K'tan. It didnt matter, if Auros agreed to a lesson she was usually a little worse for wear by the end.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Auros did not answer her at all. There was a hint of disapproval in his features, but it slowly melted away, almost a burn passing before he spoke, by which time the disapproval was gone. "The decision was yours to make. And you seem certain that the alternative would have been death." He leaned down and unbuckled the metal boots, stepping out of them and then waved her over. "Nothing is certain. In every battle there is a chance that you will win. Or survive." Rubbing his forehead he motioned towards the boots and gloves. "Put those on. And let us practice. I wish to test if you are truly recovered. If your mind thinks your body is fine."

OOC: Doing a tie-over for Tristam
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Alustariel Urdil
Civus

The silver-haired adhiel had not expected Auros' sympathy or comfort for her ordeal. Of course she was certain the alternative was death. The Brotherhood had made a name for themselves killing Adhiel nobles, of which category she discovered, quite violently, that she fitted into. She hardly expected that the rebels, after beating her senseless in an ally and later trying to snatch her from one of Kislovan's most holy of places, would turn around and invite her to share tea with them. Just remembering those bastards made her blood boil again - though as it die she realised the wisdom in Auros' words ....

Cowardice was not a cherished trait of the Battle Mage ...

She hung her head for a moment, and almost uttered an apology for her ignorance and behavior, but she did not. She guessed that Auros might see that as another weakness. Was she truly meant for this path? Alu eyed the gloves and boots and realised that she was about to find out.

Without a word she crossed to them and pulled them on. She took a moment to get a feel for what she was about to try to accomplish. A few deep breaths and she put a foot forward into combat stance. She was ready, or at least, she thought she was.

Silently, she rushed forward towards her mentor as if she was going to tackle him, though when she was just beyond his arms reach she leaned towards his left flank as if she was going to steer away in a different direction. Though at the last moment she changed tact again and darted to his right flank. She was trying to disguise her point of attack. She tried to hook her left foot around his ankle in attempt to trip him. Alu held her left hand defensively in front wary for counterstrikes, whilst her clenched right hand jabbed out underneath to try and score a hit at his torso and push him backwards.
Last edited by Alustariel Urdil on Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

The gloves were heavy. Cast of full iron, Alu's hand slid easily though the wrist guards and settled in the hollow sphere that was the fist of each glove. The inside was padded and there was a handhold which she could grasp to keep the glove from slipping. Each thing weighed a good four or five pounds and it was quite obvious that they would hinder the lady's motions heavily. The boots were even worse, making her feel as she was walking through water. She could still move swiftly, but it was inertia that presented the biggest obstacle.

Auros dodged the feint easily, causing Alustriel to veer to the left, the weight of the boots and gloves pulling her to the side even though her body already changed the direction. His foot rose up and absorbed the force of her, and then he stepped on her toes, bringing her foot down, though he could not hurt her through the iron of the boot. A twist of his torso brought him out of harm's way, and with the added weight upon her fist, Alu misses easily. He did not counterattack, but merely stepped away from her, falling into a stance.

"Very well. Defense before offense. Avoid injury and only attack when the opportunity presents itself. Especially if the opponent has an advantage." He circled her and leapt forward to deliver an easily dodged kick to her side, though the next one struck the glove with a resounding TWANG, and sent her arm to the side. "Why did the Brotherhood attack you? Because you are a girl? A mage? A foreigner? An Adhiel?"
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Alustariel Urdil
Civus

Alu began to circle her mentor warily. She knew this lesson, the last time she had simply stopped and started yaking away to Auros, who had blasted her for letting her guard down. Now the wiser, she knew she was expected to do both - talk and fight - at the same time. The silver-haired adhiel had now experienced the weight of the gloves and boots, a sure hinderance, but one she would have to work around.

She keep both fists at the ready in front of her and sidestepped around him and keeping her back away from her opponent.

"The latter, most would assume. At least thats what they would have me think" she said, stalking around Auros, keeping her back away from him "Though I had my suspcions that it rose above petty racism. My brother and I found out that our mother was a member of the Anghiril family - therefore we inherited her title of Alrul ... making us heirs to the greater House of Anghiril. The heir apparent was a man named Cuhir. I never got a chance to prove it, and as strange as it sounds that an Adhiel noble would work with human brigands ... I suspect he was behind both of my assaults .... yaaaargh!"

Her sentance broke off in a sudden yell as she leapt forward at Alexu, fists still firmly in front. Trying a quick kick to his knee, she puched forward at his head with her right hand, intentionally trying to miss and but hoping to bring his defences upwards and leave his torso undefended whilst she went to utilise the weight of the heavy glove and deliver a hard jab at his gut with the left.
Last edited by Alustariel Urdil on Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

A quick kick with the heavy boot was wishful thinking. Auros side stepped almost before she lifted her foot. The feint with her right hand worked better and the punch with the left gained in momentum with the added weight. Mentor Auros was forced to abandon an attack and slip backwards to avoid it. However, the weighted glove cause her arm to extend farther than usual and she was slow in drawing it back. Auros slid forward, grasped her arm and pulled. Were it not for her iron shoes she'd likely be sprawled on the floor.

Auros gave her a bare moment to recover and then continued his assault. "Politics often makes for unnatural couplings." Alexu agreed. "Have you abandoned your new heritage then? Is this a full rout or a strategic withdrawal?"
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Alustariel Urdil
Civus

Alu abandoned kicks and went in for a steady succession of punches aimed at his torso and shoulders. She edged further and further forward as she did so trying to force him backwards.

"Strategic withdrawal" she said simply "I'm not powerful enough to face what awaits me there. Cuhir will face me again someday, I swear it"

She jumped back to catch her breath and resumed circling him. Alu was panting slightly but smiling, she was quite enjoying this, as always.

"The Citadel will know me from now on as Lady Alrul and my brother as Lord accordingly. So we will not abandon our heritage yet, it will provide certain ... opportunities"

Alustariel rushed forward again with a pattern of jabs and upper-cuts. Again driving trying to drive him backwards, hoping for a moment where he would expose a weak spot for her to exploit.

OOC:
Apologies Trist. Sent you a PM to discuss this thread further.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

With those gloves on Alu's hands, Mentor Auros had plenty of time to block each and every strike she threw. However, as the bout went on Alu found her moves approaching her usual speed. "Then I well continue to train you, Miss Urdil." He replied for to him she shall always be Miss Urdil. "You might find your battles have followed you here. The Kislovani have always fought amongst themselves and the embassy here is no different."

Auros said nothing more for several burns as he stepped up his attacks on her and forced her to spend her breath on defense. Sensing Alu was beginnging to tire from the weighted gloves, Alexu stepped back and gestured for her to drop the weights.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Alustariel Urdil
Civus

Alu stepped back and thanked her mentor for the lesson before shedding the heavy weights on her hands and feet. She took a moment to catch her breath before stepping back over to him.

"I am grateful for your decision, and yes, I am aware that the Anghiril's do have a presence in the Citadel ... I'm not sure how they will take to the children of the frivilous Lady Alrul ... who just so happened to have run of with a human freedman before meeting my father" she said with a wry smile.

"Another thing. I tried to weave magick whilst in Kislovan ... foolish I know ... and it had disasterous effects. A girl almost died and I helped tend to her. In doing so a strange sensation overtook me ... it was magick I am sure of it and it helped to revive the girl. I wish to train this in addition to my battle magick. I was thinking of spending some time at the Temple of the Mother ... though I was wondering if you perhaps also knew a Professor who specialised in healing magics?"

OOC: No need to worry about the book Trist. Its all sorted, Asht brought it back with him from Kislovan anyway.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"Well, I am no stranger to battlefield medicine, Miss Urdil," Auros informed her, "but if you want to learn more than patching war wounds, I would seek out Mender Abagail. She is not a professor but there is none more skilled at the arts of sorcerous healing than she. She would be most flattered if you asked to learn from her. Too often she is forgotten unless emergencies arise."
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Archived with no skills awarded.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Return to “University of Magicks Archive”