Ursa: Reporting the Intrusion Chyril 23rd, Late TT

Moderators: Ashari, Mods

Niamh Windwalker
Civus

Ursa: Reporting the Intrusion Chyril 23rd, Late TT

Post by Niamh Windwalker »

The revelations Niamh had experienced since attaining her Shift seemed, to her, to make up for the months of solitude and searching for answers and her own change. Ursa guided me, came the confident thought, and as her wings carried her on the drafts and currents towards home, her flight was accompanied by simple prayers of thankfulness.

Time had no meaning when faced with onrushing air and the strength of beating wings, but at some point, she spied the signs of life stirring around her Village and swooped in aerial loops and twists above it, proud of her achievement and eager to show off the strength of her wings. After a few burns, her sharp eye sought out one of the Leaders, her play leading momentarily into an abrupt seriousness as she remembered why she had rushed homewards.

Once she spied someone worth revealing her reconnaisance with, Niamh snapped her wings together, and dove into the village, wings snapping out and catching her at a height several handspans above the nearest building, at which point she circled and, somewhat slowly, descended carefully to make a neat landing on an outjutting stump or pole or anything about chest-height to the person she had seen.
-------------------------
Avatar courtesy of Kyena via http://www.allavatars.com
Brytan
Moderator & Coordinator Triangle Islands

Post by Brytan »

The village had stirred, several fires had already been started to prepare the regular eveningtide meals for the kit and kanthrop of the valley. Guards were being relieved of their duty as the watch changed and new guards were posted at the entranceways and along the walls. With the onset of the dawn, not as many guards were required, but still it paid to be watchful as was the kanthrop way.

On her way in, Niamh spotted several people in and around the town. Two women were on their way to fetch water from the lake, Culwago and Kaern were having a short head to head by the north gate before Culwago headed into his tent. This left the potent and powerful bear warper and the head of the village's defenses out by himself, gazing up at the Skymyst.

---

"Insolent whelp. I should really have a word with Petran when he gets back from the passage about his attitude."

Kaern walked the paths through the village in his human form this morningtide, checking to see if all was well. His kanthar embroidered with the many marks of honor, the lines and curves of the warrior detailed in bright colours across his broad chest.
It was his responsibility, now that Analor was gone, to keep them safe. Or so he felt it. And it was good to know that most of his kin were safe in their tents. Some however kept giving him trouble. The Awakening of Xenovia had been bothering him, Culwago had been giving him grief about the Cryers and now Niamh had been reported out and missing for the better part of the night.

"I hope the Cryers didn't..." His gaze wandered upwards as he noted the peregrine falcon swoop down from the heavens, flustered and exhausted as she pelted down from the sky. In a reflex he raised his spear, but he realised quickly he was dealing with one of their own, though he had never seen this one fly around before. Moments before she struck the tents, she opened her wings to reveal a magnificent deck of feathers, and slowed down, landing somewhat awkwardly on a post near the tall, dark haired man. Flying still took some getting used to, and these manouvres cost a lot of energy.

Kaern's spear was still in his hand, his eyes seeking for a sign of familiarity. They pierced hers as he tried to place those eyes in human form. The one feature that never changed...

"Niamh?"
Last edited by Brytan on Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[size=84][i]I'm sorry, but I don't know who you're talking about. You must be confusing me with that other guy...[/i][/size]

[size=67]Avatar drawn and edited by me, Darkness concept (c) Topcow comics
Age=28 - SCZ=E - Attendance=daily[/size]
Niamh Windwalker
Civus

Niamh, having made her mark (however clumsily), stood proudly on two taloned feet, wings stretching wide but wearily on either side of her dappled chest as she rasped an exultant chirp in acknowledgement of Kaern's recognition. Momentarily forgetting her task, the impetuous Kanthrop suddenly drooped her head, mimicing a wing-spread bow before flipping her wings backwards along her small, narrow body. It was only natural to preen, head twisting for a flicker to order a feather or two, as one might straighten their kanthar when about to meet with an elder.

It was half a burn before she recalled her purpose, and spread her beak wide to urge forth words... yet all that emerged was more of the rasping, deep-throated chirping. Clacking her beak together irritatedly, she stared deeply into Kaern's eyes for a moment her tiny body leaning towards him, not blinking. Then suddenly, she settled back on her feet and spun her head rapidly back towards the direction from which she had come. Explanations would come momentarily, as soon as she had figured out a means of reversing what she had spent so long trying to achieve, but the thought of strangers, among her people... it was too urgent for Kaern not to realize she had a purpose in seeking him. So she looked, raptor eyes searching and hoping that nothing would yet be flying through the air - but almost certain there would be some large, lumbering construction floating along the distant skyline.

Although the kanthrop were not necessarily embarrassed by nudity, living among each other as closely as they all did, Niamh was reluctant to return sloppily to her form, and for the first time, reflected mournfully on the ruined kanthar the Cryers had ripped to shreds. The falcon heaved a sigh, and the inevitable ache of over-used muscles began to steal over her form now that the adrenaline of flight no longer stilled such sensations.
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

"Oh, oh...slow down little one." Kaern responded to Niamh's failing attempts at communication. A frown spread across his forehead as he watched the falcon in front of him chitter anxiously on her perch.

"What is wrong? Where have you been?!" He suddenly recalled her having been missing for a while. "You weren't out there doing one of your crazy stunts again, were you?" Her anxious behaviour did make him worry about her, as he did about all who were in his care. He inspected her and did not see any obvious wounds, though the bird looked exhausted.

"You should go to your tent, change back, grab some clothes and...what is it?" Kaern was getting nervous himself, what with Niamh's excited chirping and head spinning to and fro. His eyes followed where she seemed to be looking.

His jaw practically dropped to the floor.

"What in the name of the Earth Mother..."

To the east, just over the Skymyst mountains, close by the passage to Pan's Isle, the air skiff had appeared. It's sleek, but by comparison massive, form moved slowly over the rugged peaks.

Kaern quickly turned back to Niamh. He looked worried yet not totally surprised. "If you know anything about that thing Niamh..." his voice now sounded calm "...then you should go to your tent now, warp back and come tell me as soon as you're ready. We knew that something was coming, but I didn't truly believe it until I just saw it for myself." His gaze lingered on the wooden ship manouvering carefully over the wind swept crag. "Preparations must be made. I will be in the Akanthan's hut."

With that, Kaern walked off, his step determined. Shouting orders around the village, most of the people in it now staring at the wooden thing in the air.

Oni however was looking straight at Niamh from behind where Kaern had been, her white robe waving about her in a soft breeze. She nodded at her with a content smile on her lips before moving after Kaern to the hut at the north end of the village fire circle.
[size=84][i]I'm sorry, but I don't know who you're talking about. You must be confusing me with that other guy...[/i][/size]

Xenovia Canace
Bane bearer

Post by Xenovia Canace »

Shifting back into her humanoid form had been no easy task, so Xenovia had chosen to rest in her tent rather than to rush to speak to one of the Kanthans. After all, Oni had been with her when they spotted the strange contraption in the sky, and Xen had been content to allow her to do the reporting. She hadn't seemed terribly surprised to see the contraption -- nothing like the shock, wonder, and fear Xenovia had experienced.

Xenovia had long since deposited her catch from earlier that day. Now she was running along through the village, giving nods and waves here and there but remaining largely concentrated on finding Oni to glean from her what knowledge was had about the thing in the skies. Xenovia was dressed as if ready for a great battle. Quite uncharacteristically, she had procured for herself a pair of sandals, despite the fact that she generally ran about in bare feet. Tied to her purple Famirl was a cloth purse that held 20 small sling stones, and her sling hung next to it, ready for action. In her right hand she carried her spear, the weapon now more familiar to her grasp since she had had cause to use it. Her pale form darted round the tents and fires until she suddenly skidded to a halt. From a distance she spotted the falcon from earlier -- the one she had seen land upon the wooden contraption that had appeared heading toward the village. It seemed Kaern did not already know of the intrusion, for he seemed somewhat surprised when he looked in the direction of the approaching airskiff. But it was the woman behind him that Xenovia had the most interest in, and as she turned to follow Kaern, Xen darted after her.

Xen held a grace that was very different from Oni's. Where her movements were deliberate and elegant, Xenovia's were as swift and unpredictable as those of the fish she hunted, yet still she had a sort of flair about her. As she caught up with Oni, Xen's strides slowed and matched hers, her young voice soft -- yet clearly eager. "Oni, what is going to happen? What is that thing? Are we in danger?" She had a thousand other questions to ask, but Xenovia bit her tongue to keep them quiet. She was known for being a bit jittery.
Niamh Windwalker
Civus

A rush of pride flurried within Niamh's feathered breast, that she had experienced the wonders of the Shift, defeated the Cryer's that had thought to destroy her on the cliff-face, and had returned with unique information regarding the strange contraption and the people upon it. Above all, Niamh treasured the approval of the two that had just departed to the Akanthan's tent, and though she preferred beating to her own drum ... Kaern's concern had touched her, she who had felt so outcast and alone for so many months.

Wings weary, it took her a full burn to rise up and beat herself into the air, passing over Xenovia without much note as she flapped and coasted to the disheveled dirt outside her tent. A trifle less concious of her abilities, as she attempted to rush the landing, she over-balanced and spent an uncertain few flickers balancing on talons as she heaved the unfamiliar weight and center of her smaller form.

Hands, and feet, and long limbs... strong and wiry and complete... There was an urgency to the thoughts that raced through the Kanthrop's mind as she tucked herself within her tent, feeling the excrutiating change begin even before she was completely inside.

Fifteen burns seemed fifteen burns to long, and Niamh focused on the precise compilation of the items she would need during the agonizing stretch of limbs and fingers and toes. Her back curled out into it's normal length, skin absorbing each feather and smoothing over in fluid, seamless change. Yet the process refused to be rushed. It only took another 3 burns, however, for Niamh to yank and arrange her best Kanthar (her second-best had been destroyed by the Cryer's). The resplendant purple belt of her kin dangled tantalizingly next to the tent-flap, and with a care approaching reverance, the young female wrapped it neatly around her slender waist.

Sandals, pouches, knives, staff... all the accoutrements somehow found themeselves in the appropriate places. When Niamh emerged, her sharp features scanned the village, the skies, and the spaces beyond before stepping forth, a new confidence to her step as she scurried to the Kanthan's tent. If Oni or Xenovia appeared in her path, she grinned at both for a flicker before the fading stretch of her lips remembered the purpose that had driven her home so abruptly.

Without a word to either of them or any others she ran into along the path, she scurried on to the Akanthan's tent, eager to report on all she had seen and heard. For the moment, all thoughts of play and pranks had faded... her village was endangered... her family's peaceful, hidden existence were threatened. For the moment, no other thoughts could take precedence.

Unwilling to wait outside the tent, she ducked within immediately upon arrival, then waited, poised just within, a sudden vague uncertainty hovering about her. Just what an arrival will this be?
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

Oni walked towards the hut of Analor when Xenovia caught up with her. She followed Kaern to it, who flickers before her entered the hut. When Xenovia rushed up to her, matching her pace, she turned to her pupil and then looked again to the airskiff in the sky. "Calm down Xen. Calm down. No need to get yourself worked up like that." She halted a moment. "I have no idea what that thing is, but it looks like some kind of ship, like the Panlings use. I'm sure there's nothing to be afraid of, but nonetheless, a good hunter must prepare for anything. So go do that, while we talk you get ready. I'm not sure if we'll fight, but if we do, we will need you."

---

The Akanthans hut was one of the few buildings in the village not a tent. Like the inn, the hut was made up of sturdy logs, with a flat roof. Only one story high, it still looked quite sturdy and massive against the tents flanking it. Outside the door were some stretched animal hides drying in the sun, the bounty of a fruitful hunt on Pan's Isle some tides ago. A colourfully woven tapestry covered the doorway going into the hut.

Once inside, the similarities to the tents of his people were unmistakeable. The sand on the floor, covered with hides and cushions here and there, the walls full of embroidered cloth and painted animal skins. In the middle of the room a large fire pit, with above it a wide smoke hole, letting in the sunlight as the fire was still out. There were no rooms but the large main room, and in that room were gathered the elders of the tribe.

Facing the door was Gannas Hawkeye, who had taken up his traditional spot in meetings of the council of owls. Next to him on his left were Petran and Groas. To his right sat Kaern and Trehu. Analor was missing as the seventh member of the council. The lack of their leader had weighed heavily on the tribe, and now it was clear that it still did.

---

Oni entered the hut and took her place by the fire pit next to Petran and Groas. It was clear that before she had entered, there had been some heated debate going on, which had fallen still when she came in.

"Ok, so what do we REALLY know?" Petran snarled. "Certainly we can not go about facing an enemy we have no knowledge of? I say we send scouts to investigate immediately." Kaern nodded. "Yes, we must know what we're up against. Which is why I've asked Niamh to join us."
Groas frowned. "Niamh? Oni's kit? The one who was missing? She showed up? She knows more?" More voices rose over the fire pit, while Gannas sat in silent contemplation.

---

Niamh changed back into human form. It was difficult. Not painful, but difficult. As if her Inner Animal was reluctant to return her human form to her. It took her long enough, but after what seemed like an eternity, she was ready and headed out of her tent and across the central circle to the hut of Analor Goldenback.

She had been in there on a few occasions, usually because she had done something mischievous and was sent to the Akanthan for disciplining. Now however, when she entered, the atmosphere was quite different. Tension hung in the air of the square room. It was warm inside. The members of the council who were present had been arguing, she heard them through the door flap. Now however they sat in silence as she pushed through the flap.

"Niamh, sit down, please." Oni pointed to a space near the door. "We have been discussing the...sighting...and according to Kaern you have something to share with us?"

Niamh Windwalker
Civus

No longer a kit, Niamh possessed a new air of confidence she had been lacking since her first struggles with her inner spirit had begun, months previously. Now officially welcomed into the inner folds of the Akanthan's tent, the young kanthrop woman grinned, remembering the countless times she had stood in just this spot, but with herself awaiting revelations from her Elders, rather than the current situation.

Dipping her head towards Oni in acknowledgement, she drooped easily but slowly into one of those twisty cross-legged positions in the space motioned, her movements a trifle slow as random muscles along her back and tailbone began to ache steadily. The position stretched tight muscles almost painfully, but after her exertions of the day, it was a good kind of pain, the kind that left one refreshed and relaxed once the torture had been finished.

Suppose I'll get used to that, eventually... Despite the seriousness of the situation, the tired young woman eyed the circle of her Elders, her trademark, a mischevious grin, alighting on the complicated edges of her face. Realizing that she had already lost time, however, with the need to shift, she immediately sought Kaern's eyes and straightened in place as she responded to Oni's words.

"I'm ready to report, yes." The thought of all of them, sitting, waiting, hanging on her every words... she coughed back a chuckle... glancing at Oni somewhat bashfully before. The oral traditions of her people warred with the need for brevity, and she emerged with the following tale, her melodical voice as deep and lovely as her animated face was craggy and angular.

"I had been restless, the past days, my Inner Spirit troubling me, spurring me to action. Others have taken such pains to encourage me, as I awaited the Shift, I felt I owed something in return." Despite the easy tone of her story, she hoped the play on words would make some shift in discomfort, elders though they be. For barring Oni's steady faith, she knew many had in turns made light or mock of the time it was taking for her to master that Inner Spirit. She felt it, there, restless, mourning the loss of it's wings and the freedom of air and flight. Again, soon, I wish it too... "So I mounted Cryer's Peak, and laid in wait for them to pass, thinking I might study their home while they sought to attack the village. My Spirit disagreed in such plans, but there was an accord of purpose, I shifted...." she paused, hesitated, thinking her resulting battle with the Cryers might be deemed foolish, though in the end she had won. Skimming over the battle, she continued. "I had never experienced such exultant freedom, the wind and my wings carried me upwards, and beyond the rim of Ursa... and after some time... I know not how long... I saw this strange contraption... a floating canoe, all stream-lined and irregular, bearing large branchless trunks and wide swaths of fabric to catch the wind." Momentarily, she closed her eyes, conjuring up the image of the odd contraption as she described it.

"It was larger than I thought, for as I approached, it carried many people, some bearing strange long sticks, all garbed strangely. Some were warriors, they had that... feeling to what they were..." she recalled the one that had barked commands at another, bringing his picture to the fore. "but others seemed softer, and meant for other purposes. I think they had a woman among them... It was easy enough to find a perch on an outjutting arm from one of the trunks, and they seemed rather uninterested in my presence... I heard much of their discussion."

Just as she might recite the location of a den, conveying the details necessary to proceed with a successful hunt, she relayed the words she had heard, of the impending visitors, their supposed peacful intent, of the names she had heard bandied about. Less clear were her descriptions of the people themselves, and she resorted to such vague descriptions as "somewhat tall" and "hair" and "they seemed relatively normal, two eyes, ears... a nose... two legs... no scales or demon's breath... and much prettier than the Cryers, certainly." this last comment was accompanied by her laughter, a chuckle as infectious as an infant's belly-laugh might be. Niamh, when not downtrodden, as she had been these past months, had generally been a cheerful, happy-go-lucky Kit, and though annoying, she had a sense of when moods needed lightening. Little phased her, and she had a calm confidence that these, the Elders, would know what to do with what she had shared. This confidence beamed through her eyes, her wide-lipped smile, the relaxed nature of her cross-legged seat, as she waited expectantly for their response.

"And so, thinking I heard enough, and nearing Ursa... I rushed home, and Kaern instructed me to... er... shift back and come here to Report. As I have done. Responsibly. Promptly." She couldn't neglect to emphasize this, with a sparkle in her eyes, as she had been chastized on these two things many a time. In trifling matters, Niamh was not necessarily the most reliable... but this... when it matters, and is not a piffling 'fetch this' or 'run this useless errand'... I am here, and ready as any to be of use. Chew on that, Elders, before you chew me out, in the future.

She shifted position, aligning her legs in another cross-legged manner to stretch the opposite muscles. It seemed, as ever, Niamh still could not quite manage to sit still without occupying herself in some way. The teachings of Yoga did much to direct some of her excess energy, as there were countless ways to contort ones limbs.
Last edited by Niamh Windwalker on Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Xenovia Canace
Bane bearer

Post by Xenovia Canace »

The look that Xenovia directed at Oni's back was one of pure irritation. There was a sling at her side, a spear in her hand, and sandals on her feet. Was that not evidence enough that she was prepared. What on Ursa could she do to prepare more?

Her shoulders straightened as Niamh entered the tent. Why in the world was she allowed to go in when Xenovia wasn't? A brow arched, Xen stole closer to the Akanthans hut, listening closely for the conversation inside. She would catch what she could, but would stay no longer than the end of Niamh's explanation, for it was then that she remembered the Cryers. What tools will they use against them? Naturally, she assumed they didn't stand a chance. For who, if not what, could fight more fiercely than a Kanthrop? Certainly not a Panling.

Once discovered, or once she had heard her fill, Xenovia was off in a flash of black and white locks, which trailed along behind her as she ran at full speed toward the forest. She still had some time before the Cryers would begin to emerge, and if they wouldn't include her in the discussions, she would include herself in the exploration. Every so often her gaze shot upward to check the direction of the ship, and she was heading for it.
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

Xenovia was quite capable of listening to Niamh's tale of the air skiff. Though the wood of the log cabin was quite thick and solid, the flap leading inside was not, and staying close by was enough for her to hear all the details about her hunt, her stay on the perch in the mast of the ship and of all she saw and heard.

Meanwhile the skiff itself was still clearly visible in the east, slowly descending along the mountain range to the north and west, in the direction of the old Festival Grounds and Ursa's Heart.

---

While Niamh spoke, the elders listened. Their postures restless and uneasy as Niamh related the details of the men and women on the Tal'Fea. Their journey to Terra Nova as they seemed to call Ursa, and their wish to make contact with the kanthrop inhabitants, while arming themselves to the teeth with steel and leather.

Finishing her tale, no questions came, no remarks of foolishness or carelessness were thrown at the once so fickle kit. No words on her fools errand at Cryers Peak. The elders sat in silence, looking at Niamh and at each other while the meaning of her words sunk into all of their minds. Ursa Etheria, Insula Ursa, their home, was being invaded by outsiders. The world created and given to them by the Dreamweavers was being violated by war ready men and women, in search of profit and knowledge the kanthrop might posess.

"We must prepare."

Gannas Hawkeye spoke three words and all of the elders seemed to have thought the same thing.

"I shall send scouts to keep an eye on the invaders." Oni spoke.

"The villagers will be warned, I shall post extra guards on the perimeter this eveningtide." Kaern got up and left the log cabin.

Groas, Petran and Trehu followed the large bear warper outside aswell, leaving Oni, Hawkeye and Niamh in there by themselves. "You've done very well in bringing us this information Niamh." Hawkeye spoke, his voice reverberating pride. "Regardless of your previous actions, you've shown the spirit of a true hunter, and loyalty to your tribe to be commended." The shaman smiled and turned to Oni, who seemed to understand what he wanted of her.

"I think you should lead the scouting mission Niamh. Feel up to it?"

OOC: I'd like to move the rest of this story to Early ET, so feel free to post a closing argument, then move to a new thread on that timestamp for Xenovia and the landing party to join.

Niamh Windwalker
Civus

The air was thick, the dismay so tangible Niamh nearly felt a compulsion to sweep the cobwebby feel of it from her prickling skin. She watched the Elders leave, to do what she knew not, and wondered at the preparations that were to come.

Hawkeye and Oni were possibly the two with whom she was closest in the village. The honor they bestowed upon her caused her to bow her head in deep respect of such recognition. It seemed an appropriate reward for the loneliness and weariness of the past few months.

"Of course, I will do so, if you declare to those who come with me why it is so. " Unfamiliar with the prospect of being in charge over any else, she also knew her fellow Kanthrop might need to be convinced of her suitability. She cleared her throat to ask for more particulars.

"The day is lengthening, what would you have us do when dusk falls?" A sudden thought occurred to the young Kanthrop. "The Cryers... were these invaders to be attacked... not knowing what is here... would they blame us?" The memory of their sickening clutches raised her hackles, and while she would not normally have felt protective of the invaders... I would not wish such a death on even an enemy, such would not be a clean fight... the dishonor would too great. She glanced at Hawkeye, reflecting on the things the shadows had whispered to her. When the moment allows, I will ask him what they meant...

But that time was not now, and her dark, yellow-rimmed eyes sought a flicker's more guidance as to what was expected of the scouting party. Niamh carefully unstretched her long limbs, loosened and stretched free from the tautness that had plagued her earlier, and slid carefully to sandaled feet.
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

"Hmm." Gannas Hawkeye nodded as he walked outside with Oni in his wake, stepping out into the central fire circle with the others while they discussed Niamh's mission. "They come here with no knowledge of who live her. And the Cryers are sure to attack their camp, or at least seek them out when gravetide comes. You will take some to find their camp and watch it, making no more contact than you need to while keeping them safe till the morningtide."

He looked over the village, a frown on his forehead, his eyes searching. "Oni will accompany you, as will Xenovia. There are some others who might wish to join of their own volition. You will also need some ground support, so I suggest a few land warpers, perhaps Scarlet, though she is still rather young." He smiled. "Then again, so are you." Aside from them, choose a few able warriors. Just asking them will do, regardless of your age or reputation." He seemed to be guessing at her own thoughts on the matter.

"After all, we are all Kanthrop and we are all here to aid each other, even if those others are not from our land, they do not deserve to perish at the claws of the Cryers."

Niamh Windwalker
Civus

Niamh bowed her head in honor of the Elders' words, excitement building and lending her tired limbs needed energy.

Without further speech, she was gone, spreading word to those chosen few of the task ahead. Of Xenovia there was no sign, and the young kanthrop decidedly avoided the area where Culwago had disappeared, knowing that he, regardless of Hawkeye's words, would certainly take issue with her leadership.

Burns... flickers... and they were off, the scouting groups passage swift and near-silent.
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

Locking this thread for skilling, rather late but still happening. ;)

Brytan

Post by Brytan »

Skills;

Inner Animal +1*
Polymorph kanthrop +2*
Conversation +1*
Storytelling +1*

Return to “Aveas Archive”