Market Morning - The Secret [Samheen 26]

Moderator: Mods

Elvin Motricé
Retired staff

Market Morning - The Secret [Samheen 26]

Post by Elvin Motricé »

Timestamp: Samheen 26th, Early Morningtide

The incident with the boy had ended well. Once she and Muh'dok had managed to get the boy back among the living he had been ashamed of course. Shame was quickly forgotten when he remembered his mother and with a shouting thanks, he had stormed through the door.

In the meanwhile three days had passed since Jezira had gotten to the household. In those days she had neither seen Barsanke, his wife or the young Ammen-Umon.

Eventually, a few days later, the old Barsammael, the oldest slave of the household, had asked her to help in the household a bit. The lord of the house had been called away for urgent business, he had told her, and he would soon get back so they needed to get everything in order to celebrate his homecoming. If she could be as nice of to go the the market for him and get fresh vegatables for the meal they'ld prepare. Muh'dok would give her a list.
Last edited by Elvin Motricé on Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"- and so's Mister Motricé." Becca smiled wryly. "He's probably going to go - he's not set anything on fire for a few months, so he's got to be going through withdrawal by now." ~ Becca Acerbi

Post by Guest »

The incident around young Ammen-Umon brought Jezira not only problems, which she had to solve, but new friends on who she could count in a time of need. It helped her a lot to know that she isn't alone in a world of enemies, but seems to have come into a good household, with many good people. The three calm days after the incident were helping her a lot continuing to make a good impression, which is very difficult when around oneself things go sooo wrong regularly.

As few days later old Barsammael asked her to help, she was delighted as a slave like her is usually expected to stay in the house and she understands the fact that she was given orders which involve leaving the house as a hidden sign of good will - after all she is new to the house !

Jezira beams happily hearing Barsammaels words expressing her gratitude many times and then quickly moves to fetch a long hooded cloak, that would hide her good looks as good as possible as they are only for her Master Barsanke to enjoy fully. Then she moves to Muh'dok telling him of the development and takes the list and a basket and then moves to the front gate of her Masters estate.
Elvin Motricé
Retired staff

Post by Elvin Motricé »

The old Barsammael had laughed and replied that it would do no good for her to be cooped up inside of here all day. With a dismissive wave he had turned back to the papers on his desk, for the slave could read a rare ability for one of his standing...

The cook smiled and went over the list with her, repeating it until he was sure she had memorized it correctly. He handed her a basket with a playful bow and winked. “You should best take the servant’s door. It wouldn’t do you good to go through the front door, now would it?” The muscled man turned to the back of the kitchen: “Gin! Could you please lead lady Jezira out?”

From deeper inside the kitchen came the boy, covered in flour. “I will, master,” Gin grinned, already planning to slip out himself. After all, his master had said he had to lead the lady out. He had never said how far out…

“Make sure he returns when he has shown you the door,” Muh’dok said to Jezira, realizing very well what his apprentice was thinking, “I’m in no mind to try and do all this work on my own,” when he saw the disappointement on the boy’s face he smiled, “Not such a long face, Gin. There’ll be plenty of time to play after work,” with a sly smile the cook added “Maybe even time for stories?”

Brightened by the prospect of hearing a story the boy nodded seriously: “A man never leaves another to do all the work alone. I’ll be back soon, master.” With the speed of youth he ran past Jezira, pausing long enough to grab her hand. “Come! Come! There isn’t much time!” the boy laughed, wondering which story his master might tell him today.

Not far from the kitchen a small gate lead out to the street. It’s size was not amazing as Gin told her how it was used once a month to haul in the amounts of food that were necessary to feed the Barsanke Household. A smaller door in the gate opened to the touch of the boy. With a wave of his hand he disappeared back to the kitchen determined to finish his work fast so that he could hear a story!

“Good morningtide, miss Jezira,” a soft voice spoke. A man clad in broad black clothes leaned against the wall. If he hadn’t made his presence known Jezira would probably have missed him. He was in all ways unconspicious, not overly handsome nor overly ugly, a pleasant face and a pleasant smile, long, dark brown hair that was tied back. “My name is Erha and I’ll be your chaperon for this morning. He pushed off from the wall in a fluent motion, placing his hands on the hilt of his dagger and scimitar.
"- and so's Mister Motricé." Becca smiled wryly. "He's probably going to go - he's not set anything on fire for a few months, so he's got to be going through withdrawal by now." ~ Becca Acerbi

Post by Guest »

Jezira nods quickly as Muh’dok points out, that she should take the servant's door, even blushing somewhat as she feels ashamed about not having thought about it. Thinking to herself she wonders 'how did I deserve those nice people ?' Old Barsammael at morning, who is very kind for a first slave and now Muh’dok.
Quickly she follows Gin after promising Muh’dok to send the boy back, smiling as he leaves her at the door. Moving outside she turns with surprise toward the voice and listens, then looks up from soft blue eyes to the soft spoken warrior answering with a respectful nod and curtsy :
"It is an honor to meet you, oh valiant warrior and I am grateful for your protection."
...her surprise having changed into a friendly smile by now, again loosening her grip on the basket, which tightened for an instant in her surprise.
Elvin Motricé
Retired staff

Post by Elvin Motricé »

Erha laughed: "Valiant warrior? I'm quite sure you are mistaken. I am but a mere servant of lord Barsanke," the fluent, predatory grace with which he walked seemed to contradict his words.

"Have you ever been to the Foreigner's Court, miss Jezira?" the man asked as he started walking, "It can be a confusing, not to mention dangerous, place for someone new to it."
Last edited by Elvin Motricé on Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

Jezira smiled as the "servant" laughed, thinking to herself silently :

' Nevertheless, I'll be better a bit too polite than showing too much of a lack of respect ... aaaand with that man is more then meets the eye. His weapons, then his moves so silent, so very graceful like someone who hunts, not like someone who serves'

Her eyes unconspicuously following every move of the man she just met and answers to his question :

"No, I have never been there..." she says, listens then answers "...oh, is that so ? ... I am happy then, that you are with me, if its that dangerous."
Elvin Motricé
Retired staff

Post by Elvin Motricé »

Erha laughed: "Oh, I'm sure you'll be surprised. It's the busiest place in the whole of Abu Sahir. The hustle and bustle is enough to drive anyone insane. I can't imagine how those merchants keep sane... But maybe they aren't, seeing the prices they ask..."

Erha continued talking as they walked through the city, pointing out some of the more important landmarks and telling a few stories about the other houses, most of which were funny. As they progressed the streets slowly grew more crowded. As the crowd began to thicken a milemarker announced the beginning of the Foreigner's Court.

The Foreigner's Court is very broad avenue running uninterrupted from the main gates to the south to the imposing ebony spires of the Amunnic Simbahan at the center of the city. In the marker distance (3km) between these two endpoints is conducted much of the commerce of Abu Sahir. Down the center of the Court runs the Marker Bazaar, basically a shaded pedestrian area in which the more established merchants occupy semi-permanent stalls. On either side of the Bazaar, along the outer edges of the Court (and sometimes spilling into the narrow sidestreets radiating from the main thoroughfare) is an array of impromptu carts, tents and stalls, occupied by an ever-changing cast of transient merchants, entertainers and hucksters.

It is said that anything imaginable can be found for sale within the Court, provided one has both perseverence and luck. There is certainly an impressive, sometimes even overwhelming variety evidenced here, rnging from native goods like spice and fruit to foreign luxuries imported from the corners of the Empire and beyond. Although Foreigner's Court often gives the impression of complete chaos, there is actually a fairly rigid hierarchy adhered to by the merchants. The most coveted positions, occupied by the wealthiest and best-connected vendors, are at the northern end of the court, directly adjacent to the Simbahan. From there, the prestige (and often quality) of the stalls steadily decreases with distance from the center. The foot of Foreigner's Court, located deep within the Slave Quarter, is populated by merchants of particularly dubious quality and ethics.

"So where do you want to go first?" Erha shouted over the noise, "For meat we go in that direction. Spices are there, fresh fruit should be over there and flour should be around there somewhere," he said as he pointed out several directions.

A man in silken clothes bumped into Jezira: "Watch out were you're going, wench!" He shouted even though he himself had bumped into her as she was standing still.

Post by Guest »

Jezira listens intently as Erha tells her along their way about this and that as that world is so new and large to her and so full of eye catchers. Erha's remark about the merchants prices puts Jezira on alert again as she calculates how much money she's got.
Listening curiously to Erha's stories, at times laughing softly and melodiously, she takes her basket more tightly to herself as she sees the street growing more crowded, finally noticing the milemarker, which indicates she and Erha arrived at their destination.

"I think we should go first buying flour and fresh fruits, beginning with the easy part, then proceeding with meat and finally end with the spices as the spice merchants at that time hopefully won't be as sharp as in the morning so we can make a good deal ..."

Jezira wanted to add that she hopes she is right with her reasoning as a man in silken clothes bumps into her, causing a soft sound of surprise from her :

"I ... I beg your pardon ..." she answers reflexively.
Elvin Motricé
Retired staff

Post by Elvin Motricé »

The mysterious warrior was about to praise Jezira for her idea when the idiot bumped into her. In a few moments that followed he quickly analyzed the situation: "Two guards... One off to the far wall, one behind."

He was willing to let it go at that but when the man insulted one of Lord Barsanke's household he could not let him walk away like that. Erha's training pertained a knowledge about those that held power in Abu Sahir. At the moment the man had bumped into Jezira he had already classified him as someone far beneath Drummon Barsanke, a man who lived primarily on the feeling that he was someone important.

The actions of the warrior were almost too fast to follow. The hilt of his dagger slammed into the face of the guard that stood unnoticed behind Jezira, the sound of breaking bones audible as his nose connected with the cool metal of Erha's weapon. An inaudible moan escaped the man as he staggered backwards and sagged to the ground. The next thing Jezira knew her chaperonne's slender sword, a somewhat exotic weapon she couldn't quite place, rested against the neck of the man that had insulted her.

"Now I wouldn't be as stupid as to draw that weapon if I were you," he calmly stated, freezing a man was rushing towards him in place, "I might slip, you see..."

A crowd was gathering around them and people were murmuring around them.

...did you see him move? He's good...
...barbaric that is what this is! Duelling in the streets is prohibited by law...
...guards will be here soon...

The man in silk was sweating heavily, a droplet of blood welling up from under the sword: "Wha... What is t-t-t-this? I-I have friends you know!" here his voice regained some volume, taking confidence in his friends, "If you don't release me now I'll have you strapped up in a cage in the desert I..." the man fell silent as Erha increased the pressure on the sword, drawing more blood.

"Hush, Myo," he replied amused, "you have no friends that truly value your... ah... personality. Insulting someone from the Barsanke household is even beyond you, isn't it?" he dropped his voice so that only Myo and Jezira could hear him, " And before you think about complaining to the guards, I might tell you that I know exactly what you have been doing these past few days."

Myo paled: "Barsanke? I... I didn't know," inwardly the man sighed with relief, Barsanke might be powerful but he was also weak: he didn't like unnecessary bloodshed nor did he kill so he was probably safe from this Barsanke dog...

It seemed impossible but when the warrior exclaimed that he knew what Myo had been doing even more blood drained from his face. "You, you don't," he managed to squeak, "impossible." How could he know? If they found out he'ld be...

"Want to bet your life on it?" came the calm reply, "I'ld suggest you go on about your business after apologizing to the lady."

I can not risk that he actually tells them and knows it. The consequences... Myo started to shiver: "My apologies, fair lady, the heat of this day, you know..."

OOC: my apologies for the late post but the last few days have been quite hectic and I lost my draft in a hard disk crash
Last edited by Elvin Motricé on Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

Jezira was about to bow to the stranger, who bumped into her as she tried to appease the stranger, following the teachings she received from early age on, knowing that a slave who claims a right, is a slave who claims death for him- or herself.
But then it was all happening so very fast ... a flashing move over her head and an unhealthy cracking of bone accompanied by a muffled moan. Jezira gasped, whirling around and seeing a man behind her slipping down. As she turned back she saw that exotic blade of her chaperon right at the neck of the man, who started it all. Jeziras eyes were wide open .... flashing around as Erha seemed to speak to ... to a third person ? ... then realizing the third man as he freezed in place suddenly.
Overhearing the comments of the people Jezira decided to warn her courageous protector, but realized quickly that it wasn't necessary as her chaperon seemed to be not only a master of melee fighting, but of wits as well, his adversary not faring any better in the battle of minds then he did before in the battle with weapons.
Obvious thread was countered by what sounded like an elaborate bluff, that made it impossible for the stranger to verify in that situation.
Having heard the strangers apologies, Jezira nodded and only now realized the slight shiver the unexpected encounter caused in her, but was at the same time fascinated how good her chaperon has fared against three adversaries and grateful that he protected her without wasting a second thought about it, that thought becoming a very grateful smile to Erha.

OOC: no problem and a "good recovery" for your comp & hard disk ;)
Elvin Motricé
Retired staff

Post by Elvin Motricé »

“Nicely done, Myo,” Erha nodded approvingly, “Now be on your way. We have business to attend to,” he took his sword from the man’s neck and sheathed it. Myo’s other guard saw his chance when the warrior was putting away his weapon and with a roar charged on.

“HALT!” a voice bellowed, a company of the city guard had finally arrived at the scene, “YOU ARE IN VIOLATION OF THE RAFAO’S LAWS!” His volume might not have convinced the nameless guard to drop his weapon but the thirteen well-armed city guards that stood behind their captain certainly got the point across.

”Nice timing, Aru… As always,” Erha looked at the guard with a little concern, which was but a façade. Captain Aru was handsomely paid for his discretion in cases like this. Besides he doubted that Myo would want to continue this meeting any further. It wasn’t the man’s style to fight an open confrontation. It was quite possible that he’ld send trained assassins to restore his pride.

It wouldn’t matter… Tomorrow Erha would no longer exist, the Barsanke Spymaster would have another disguise by the time this pitiful merchant had found a way to retaliate. Perhaps he’ld pay some assassin handsomely to finish off the warrior Erha tonight… It wouldn’t matter, though, the Spymaster’s own assassin had been loosed at Myo. But perhaps he could make some coin out of this… After all, bribing the officials didn’t come cheap. He’ld send one of his other agents in the guise of an assassin to Myo and fake the death of Erha. After his agent was paid the merchant’s life would end.

“We’re very sorry, captain,” Erha offered, “but my friend here hired some suspicious guards. We set this up so we could expose them. When my friend here insulted this good woman they tried to kill him and the girl as well. There are several witnesses who can testify to that.” A few people shouted it was so, all of them agents from the Spymaster.

“Wha! That’s not tru…” the remaining bodyguard started. “SILENCE DOG! I DID NOT GIVE YOU PERMISSION TO SPEAK!” Aru bellowed and motioned to two of his guards to imprison the two bodyguards, “You can explain everything later on. It’s quite evident what the both of you have done. Now come!”

Chained, both guards were removed from the scene and slowly life at the market returned to normal. Myo quietly slipped away, not wanting to damage his reputation any further. Erha turned to jezira: “We might want to get the things on your list before it gets hot, miss…”

OOC: sorry for the late reply yet again! But unexpected exams and revisions for my other exams are keeping me quite busy.

Post by Guest »

The timely arrival of the captain of the city guard and the words Erha spoke made Jezira suspicious again, that there is more to Erha then what he allows people to see, but knows that it is better to keep silent as this seems to be one of the moments when curiosity, openly revealed, surely will kill the slave.

Seeing how Erha thinks about something, Jezira still stays silent.
Then Jezira hears the story Erha tells the captain of the guard and as she nods to Erhas words, she wonders how eager some people around seem to be to testify as witnesses. Her gaze wanders around, having the strong impression, that something is brewing here, then following intently and lost in thoughts, the chained guards being removed by the city guard.

Suddenly Erha turns to her so that she answers quickly :
"Uhm ... yes, my chaperon" smiling warmly to Erha as she takes her basket closely, trying to focus back on the imminent task moving again to her protectors side.

But still she feels curiosity burning in her ...

OOC : and again : no prob ! :) ... I am busy myself for almost the same reasons ;) ... good luck to you !
Brytan
Moderator & Coordinator Triangle Islands

Post by Brytan »

The market around them in Foreigner's Court was a bustle of activity once again. After the guards had moved away, the way was once again clear for Jezira and her chaperonne to go about their business of retreiving the items on her wish list.

Wherever she looked, something else could be seen. Stores and vendors abound, selling all sorts of goods, ranging from food and drink to fabrics, jewelry, spices and even some exotic goods. From every side one could hear the merchants prizing their wares, all claiming the greatest deals in all of the Seven Isles.

Ehra seemed to be at ease once again. Nothing about him betrayed the events which had transpired only burns earlier. His weapon neatly tucked away in it's scabard, his clothing arranged as if the whole event hadn't transpired.

"What is it that you need exactly? Plenty of shops to choose from."
[size=84][i]I'm sorry, but I don't know who you're talking about. You must be confusing me with that other guy...[/i][/size]

[size=67]Avatar drawn and edited by me, Darkness concept (c) Topcow comics
Age=28 - SCZ=E - Attendance=daily[/size]

Post by Guest »

Jeziras gaze wanders quickly over the offered wares and goods offered here, checking quickly for hints that could help her estimate the quality, then she moves slowly to a market stand, which is rather small and whose merchant seems to be a bit more reluctant and doesn't seems to be as eloquent in comparison to the others.
Jezira approaches him and greets :
"Good morning, may the blessing of the Mistress of the Lake be with you, honorable merchant" she curtsies and continues:
"To better serve my master I would like to buy flour, a few fruits, but only fresh ones as I don't want to disappoint my master"
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

The merchant looked at Jezira as she and her companion approached his stand. His clothes were simple, his face scarred. He looked old or perhaps he looked older than he actually was. A teethless grin as Jezira spoke. Sizing up his latest customer he got up from his seat and greeted her in kind.

"May the desert sun be mercifull and the bounty of water plenty in times of need."

His eyes roamed over Jezira's body, down and up to meet her gaze. Ever so briefly he looked at Ehra who glared back, making the merchant turn his attention to Jezira.

"You have come to the right place, you should find all you seek and more in my humble shop mem'sahib. If it's fruit you need then fruit I shall provide. We have fresh supply carried from all over the Seven Isles and beyond and flour ground from the finest grains the likes of Dort have to offer." His stand was indeed laden with fruits and other edable wares. Some looking better than others, the man was at least slightly exagerrating.

[hr][/hr]
"Hmm, this one will do nicely."

From behind the window one story up, Gehr had a good view of the market. Pallan's latest customer was a rather tall blonde with a burly looking bodyguard. "I'm sure we will be able to find a buyer for that one, her current owner seems to value her a lot if he sends a soldier to guard her. You know what to do."
Behind him in the shadow of the room a few shapes moved, sounds of metal and wood as they moved out the door. "This Gravetide we will make some crowns."
[hr][/hr]

Meanwhile, below, the merchant was still waiting for Jezira. He had taken up a bowl of fruit, and presented it to her. "The finest grapes and dates in Abu'Sahir mem'sahib. Only 4 lances today."
Last edited by Brytan on Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
[size=84][i]I'm sorry, but I don't know who you're talking about. You must be confusing me with that other guy...[/i][/size]

Post by Guest »

Jezira hesitates to answer, quickly giving a look to Erha as if seeking an emotional support, where there was courage before. Then she looks back to the merchant, acting as if she didn't realized the gaze checking her out.
Being now close to the merchandise, she - as so many times before on similar occasions - examines the fruits, picking some of them and asking :

"How many will these cost ?" hinting at the fruits she picked.

Her attention now focussed on the deal she is about to make she raises her right hand, brushing lightly a strand of her hair back in a gesture of thought as she then adds a flour sack and continues :

"...with the flour here, good merchant !"
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

"Ah, a fine choice Mem'sahib. I see you have an eye for quality product. Those are excellent. Hand picked from the trees on the isle of Pan by the hands of a hudred sanctified maidens."

It was obvious the man was exaggerating. Then again, every merchant on this street had some amazing story of where their products came from and Jezira had heard the same kind of tale a hundred times over.

"And some flour too? Preparing a fine meal for your master I can imagine. He will be very pleased I assure you. They are yours for the mere sum of...shall we say...six lances?"

Post by Guest »

Jezira still smiles, although she mentally sighs as she really heard those exaggerations too often. Part of the "game" is, that she can't accept the offer of the merchant directly without offending him seriously as haggling is an integral part of the culture of Amun Rah. So she imagines how she will offer to pay 4 lances, which will not be acceptable to the merchant and then they both will agree about a price of 5 lances, which will be the price the merchant calculated from the beginning. He will still make good profit, but he is a merchant and knows his trade the same way as a warrior knows how to fight, but as no merchant would hope to win against a warrior in swordplay, no warrior could beat a merchant in haggling and appraising valuables. Jezira smiles to Erha as she thinks to herself '... or no slave as myself' then her thoughts naturally come to what she can do best and her expression becomes sad as she looks to the merchant and says :

"I beg your forgiveness good merchant, but I - as the faithful slave I am - won't dare to disappoint my master by paying more then 4 lances for that."

Jezira smile has returned, although it is only faint.
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

OOC: Sorry for the delayed reply, it's been a busy week :)

The merchant coughed as if a sudden seizure had struck him. Some bystanders looked to see what was going on, mumbling amongst themselves. The merchant seemed to need a few flickers to recouperate from his anxiety attack or whatever it was that he was displaying, before turning back to Jezira.

"My dear girl, you can not possibly be serious! By the gaze of Anasis, how am I to feed my wife and six poor, hungry children off of the sum you mention. A mere five lances won't suffice! These are prize fruits, flour from the best wheat in the whole of the Seven Isles. You disgrace me with the mere mention of such a feeble sum."

He moved to take away the fruits and flour from the stand between them, lingering his hands briefly over them, peering into Jezira's eyes with the gaze she was so familiar with. "Ofcourse, now if you were to say five lances that would make me a happy man."

Post by Guest »

OOC: Same here ;)

Jezira leans forward only a bit with a worried expression, giving her arms a bit forward in a supporting gesture, but never actually touching him as she hears his lament thinking to herself :

`Ooh noo, the wife and the many children, very old tactic, but still works often enough ... if every merchant would really have the big families they claim to have, then abu'sahir would rule the world.`

So she smiles inwardly as she answers with a soft voice and tries to appear to be touched a lot, answering to the merchant - her innocent gaze meeting his :

"Oh good merchant, such a honest working man and responsible head of your family is rare these days, so I will trust in your judgement and thank the divine ones for the quality wares you sold me."

Then she fetches the five lances hidden from prying eyes under her clothes and then counts them into the merchants hands.
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

The merchant's expression instantly changes from a serious lament to a cheerfull grin. "Ah, mem'sahib. May Anasis and Uphuron always be mercifull on your immortal soul. You have made a fine choice..." His hands moved rapidly to wrap up the chosen goods for Jezira, afterwards handing them over after having counted his precious lances. "...I pray the sun will shine in your favor, may your future be bright and your life long.

Wrapping up her deal with the merchant, Ehra had been looking around, checking the area for suspicious movements. He nudged Jezira as they were about to leave the stall and was about to say something when a young boy meandered past, bumping shortly into Ehra before moving off.

The guard was no fool however.

"That little devil stole my purse. Of all the insolent..." He grinned. "He has quite a swift hand, too bad he uses it for the wrong purpose. If you will pardon the short detour, I must retrieve what is mine. Stay close." And with that he moved off to follow the boy through the crowd, expecting Jezira to stay close as they navigated the busy streets of Abu'Sahir. "He will most likely stop somewhere to count his loot, I will teach him some manners then."

Post by Guest »

Jezira collects the goods and nods politely to the merchant :

"Thank you good merchant and may Anasis and Uphuron always watch especially over your family, blessed in it's number and with a good father as you are ..."

Then she feels the nudge and sees the bump of the boy , but is too slow to react, then she listens and nods trying to stay as close as possible behind Erha, knowing he is her only protection if necessary. Tightly she pulls her basket.
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

The boy manouvered the streets like a pro. Knowing every nook and cranny of the laden merchant corner he eventually ducked into an alley between two buildings. One of them an inn of some sort. They had strayed quite a ways from their original path and were somewhere close to the harbor, for Jezira could clearly smell the water in the air, and hear the sound of gulls flying overhead to pick up the scraps.

Ehra followed the boy, assuming Jezira followed in his wake. As they entered the alley the boy was indeed there, sitting on a barrel, counting the coins from Ehra's purse.

"Now boy, that was some nice coin snatching technique, you may have to teach me that some day." Ehra said with something of a smile on his face. The boy looked up at his "visitors" and startled, quickly closing the coin purse and backing away from them, hopping quickly off the barrel and moving backwards deeper into the alley. Ehra persisted. "No sense in running boy, it's a dead end. Give me the purse and I will give you a coin to buy you some food."

"How generous, too bad a coin just won't do for us." The male voice came from behind and sounded ominous. The sound of steel being drawn was present in the shade of the alley.

The boy grinned.

Post by Guest »

"Oh, damn ... that man is fast !"

Jezira follows as quickly as possible, her eyes darting between Erha, trying not to loose him and the ground trying not to fall and pulls her basket close, trying not to loose what she just bought, one hand pulling her skirt up a bit, so she may move faster, thinking to herself again and again as she slips gracefully around and between the people passing by :

'Will not loose him ... will not loose him...'

Bumping almost into her protector as she slips around the corner, joining just as he talks to the boy, she then follows close behind Erha, thinking to herself :

'I hope we leave that dark alley quickly, I have no good feeling about that... No good feeling at all.'

Suddenly she hears a voice behind her and gives a soft sound of surprise as she hears the male voice from behind.
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

Ehra swirls around to face whoever it was that just appeared behind them. Within an instant he has his weapon drawn, almost faster than Jezira's eyes could follow. "Get behind me" he whispered to Jezira, who could see the boy grin wickedly, throw the coin purse on the ground and make a break for it over the back wall of the alley.

It had been a trap all along...

"Oh, look at the brave protector taking up arms to secure his master's prized asset. I should not have expected anything less from one of Barsanke's men. However this is one fight you're bound to loose friend, so why not drop the steel and give us the girl..."

Return to “Amun Rah Archive”