A new mission ~ Rylas ~ Samheen 18th

Moderator: Mods

Ashari
Moderator & Coordinator Mer Cities

Post by Ashari »

"Hmmm.. Yabal." He took the note and quickly opened it. "Did you read this?" Tedrin didn't look particularly concerned about whether or not the young man present had. He was busy scanning over the contents, and then looked up as Rylas told him the circumstances that lead up to the lacking in letters that he had requested.

Shaking his head at the mention of the dark skinned man he grinned. "That bear, I thought he was getting out of there when it changed hands. Oh well." He shrugged. "Previous associate." He added.

"Empty. They must've found it on accident." Tedrin turned away, lost in contemplation even as the would-be thief searched through his purse for the shred of paper and fragment of seal. Squinting his eyes he tentatively reached a lithe hand out. No matter how he might appear to be living the high life, his fingers were still worn and the nails short. Callouses, caused from continued practice with a weapon, were present upon his dexterous hand. That momentary glance would easily prove that he couldn't have changed all that much, even if he tried to play the part of King, he was still a warrior at heart.

In a flicker the wax piece was taken from Rylas's extended fingers and was being closely inspected by Tedrin. "Hmm. Now, that is peculiar. This isn't the Rafao's mark. It's a counterfeit, I hadn't even noticed before. I hadn't been paying close enough attention." He mused on this for a burn before speaking. "You can tell because of how hard the lines are in it, they aren't ground down." He handed the piece over to Rylas for him to look at. "Ionis's mark is softer; feminine." He grinned, the Rafao had always been known to be lacking masculinity around the city, but he also took many female lovers among his concubines, so he wasn't questioned. Added to that, he was a strong warrior, but very few had seen him in action.

Meanwhile Tedrin had moved out of the main room into his private office. He came back with another letter, and under his arm was a rolled up carpet. "This is the Rafao's mark." It was a subtle difference at best. "By Anasis this changes everything." The dark adhiel had picked up the coloqialisms of Amun Rah just from being there and employing people of the land. He paced away and then returned. "Alright." He looked at Rylas and sighed. "I'm going to have to give this much thought." He nodded and handed his employee the rug he held.

It was red from what Rylas could see, with tassels on the corners. "Yabal asked for this. He probably needs it sooner rather than later." Reaching into his own purse he grabbed a coin. "Here, for your troubles." It was a coronet which he handed over. "I will call on you tomorrow, I believe I will have much need of extra hands then. I assume you will be available...?"
[color=#000000][i]"What of the soul was left, I wonder, when the kissing had to stop?"[/i]
-- Robert Browning. [/color][size=75][i]Avatar by: [url=http://vyrl.deviantart.com/]vyrl[/url][/i][/size]

Post by Guest »

Rylas was relieved. Though it wasn't the first time he had made worse of something in his head, he still thought Tedrin had taken it better than expected. As he took in all that Tedrin said about the Rafao and so forth, he suddenly felt foolish about ever thinking his mentor would ever be so unprepared as to be put off by missing papers.

"It was not meant for me," was Rylas's somewhat ambiguous answer as to if he had read Yabal's letter. In truth, as Tedrin expounded on other details, his interest in the tavern-keep's favor declined sharply.

Tedrin's apparent mastery of local trivia was striking. Rylas studiously examined the emblems as Tedrin presented them, though the subtleties were largely lost on him, new in town as he was.

He found himself wondering just what exactly this Rafao was involved in that would have Tedrin so enthralled with letters. How the two men, seemingly rulers of two sides of Amun Rah, would be involved beyond occaisional favors was an interesting puzzle. Slavery and illicit business seemed a part of everyday life, and though Rylas had only been there a short time, he cynically imagined that assassinations would be politics as usual. The only thing that seems obviously illegal is theft, Rylas thought, remembering the very way he met Talnyah. But what would a ruler want to steal?

Rylas tucked the rug under his arm, idly wondering why Yabal would need a rug for a favor, and so urgently. Mostly due to pride, he also avoided noticeably looking at the coin's denomination or expressing his increasing relief for it. But, his fingers passed over its surfaces appreciatively as he pushed it - the first coin in a while that had been passed to him and not from him - into his purse.

"Of course," he answered. "I will await your summons at the inn." Whether it was the hope of learning more about the manipulations happening all around him, or the hope of getting to relieve some "tension," Rylas found himself in strange anticipation of whatever was to pass tomorrow.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

Tedrin nodded at Rylas' response. "Good man. I should know better than worry about you getting into things you don't belong in... though.. your father never took too well to me teaching you sparring and that never stopped you, so it's not too much of a stretch!" He laughed.

"Expect me to not call until later in the evening, I should think you will have much of the day to yourself. Try to keep out of trouble." The dark adhiel winked. He seemed most pleased, even given the fact that things had changed from what he originally thought.

"Oh - and sharpen your blades." He added before turning and heading to his private room. He had much to think upon, and plan, to make sure his hand was still the one in charge. The adhiel could feel something brewing, and he didn't like when he wasn't stirring the spoon of this city.

OOC:
I just realized I misjudged what timestamp you are on, I thought you were on the 19th, you are actually on the 18th, I would like to adjust you forward a day, if that is alright with you. If there is a problem, PM me.

I'm starting a new thread for you at Anurith's now. I will skill this one soon!
Last edited by Ashari on Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[color=#000000][i]"What of the soul was left, I wonder, when the kissing had to stop?"[/i]
-- Robert Browning. [/color][size=75][i]Avatar by: [url=http://vyrl.deviantart.com/]vyrl[/url][/i][/size]
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

Skills:

Advancements:

Streetwise: +*
Conartist: +**
Pick Locks: +*
Intimidation/thuggery: +*
Negotiation: +*
Soundless movement [city]: +*

New:
Detect secret doors/traps: Basic

If you feel like I've missed anything drop me a line.

Skilled!

Return to “Amun Rah Archive”