[KC: Basilica] Divine Devotion [Tyrone] Chy 27, Dawn (OPEN)

Moderators: Maeve, Mods

Anistis
The Tender

Post by Anistis »

All of this was nearly too much for Anistis to process or even to believe, had he not just heard it. The young acolyte was uncommonly trusting, and he had a hard time even imagining anyone he'd met in service to the Church secretly serving some manner of evil power instead of the One.

And yet, if what this man, Jaxomen- Two hundred yarhen old?! Was he a human?- had told Tyrone was true, than some manner of darkness was indeed at work in the One Church. The mere thought gave Anistis the same sickly feeling in the pit of his stomach as the previous yarhen's war had.

The acolyte's brow furrowed in concentration as he raked a hand through his light brown, somewhat unkempt hair.

"Perhaps, then," he suggested, "we should divide our tasks. First, I think we should try to gain permission to access the Vault. Again, I'm not sure how to go about doing that, but I'd imagine Sister Caranosa knows, and if you're on official Church business, I can't see that they would deny us.

"After we've looked at what we need to there, or if we can't get in, perhaps you can visit the Bardic College. While you do that, I could try to glean some information from the Library and Scriptorium at the Palace. When we're both done, and you've met with the Bishop, we could reconvene and discuss what we've found before we proceed further."

Anistis shrugged and grinned sheepishly. He wasn't used to organizing plans and strategies. "It's an idea, anyway."
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

Caranosa, having finished her morning devotional had made her way back to where Tyrone and Anistis were standing.

“Please come this way.” She moves down and across the hall to another set of double doors. Opening them, she leads the way into the Hall of Records. Several desks are present, along with lots and lots of shelves filled with scrolls and books. There is a small office off to the right.

Caranosa moves to the left and a cupboard against the same wall as the door. Opening it, she takes out a loaf of bread, some fruits, and a jar of honey. “It is not much, but you both have probably missed breakfast, and should really eat something.”

About this time, a somewhat skinny man dressed in priest’s robes enters, with a young boy, obviously a new initiate and apprentice. “Father Garonius” Caranosa acknowledges the priests presence.

Garonius tells the boy to wait in his office. He watches the boy till he enters the office.

Turning to glance at Caranosa, he raises a raised eyebrow in the direction of the two borthers.

Caranosa responds, “these are Brother Tyrone and Brother Anistis. They shared morning prayers with me.”

Garonius just nods. “Keep the noise down, and you have a good deal of copying yet to do. I will out later; there is a meeting of the Bishops. He glances at both Tyrone and Anistis with a brief nod. There seems something indefinably oily about Father Garonius. With a slight smile he heads off towards his office.
By all the Dodos! these are thoughts of weight,
Most venerable, wise, and out of date.
(from [i]The Paradise of the Birds[/i], by [i]W. J. Courthope[/i])

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Tyrone
The Jackal

Post by Tyrone »

Before Tyrone could reply his approval of Brother Anistis' plan, Sister Caranosa made her way to where they were standing and urged them to follow her. With a slight nod, the dark achadhiel trailed behind the learned woman, his robe rustling as he moved silently. The monk of the Purificatio was a bit surprised that the Sister led them back to the Hall of Records, he had assumed that they were to be led straight to the Vault of Records and he slightly frowned as he took a last look to the direction of the Vault.

Perhaps that was it, he had assumed right away that the documents he needed were in the Vault. Sister Caranosa did mention earlier that she was copying the manuscripts. He remembered back in his Monastery that his fellow monk brothers in the Scriptorium had their own well lighted desk and office to copy the documents. With another worried frown, he shifted his gaze to Brother Anistis and back to Sister Caranosa.

"It's very kind of you, Sister." Tyrone said as he broke a small part of the bread, made a small prayer for the meal and started slowly munching on the bread. On his monastery, everything was scheduled: they ate together, prayed together but everything felt different here in the Basilica and the postulant monk wasn't used to eating alone or talking to women either.

"Dominicus bless you, Father Garonius," he replied when Sister Caranosa introduced them. "A brief abrupt, isn't he?" Tyrone murmured to himself and turned his attention back to woman and remembered she wasn't in good standing with the skinny priest. The meeting of the College of the Bishop aroused his curiosity and he gave Brother Anistis a quizzical look to check if he knows something about it.

"Forgive me Sister if I'm being importunate, we were talking about the Archbishop Jaxomen and the Holy Spirit of the Jackal, can you tell me more about it?" He asked as he took another side glance at the young novice and then focused his attention back to the woman. He needed to know more about Jaxomen and about the Spirit of the Jackal. "What do you know about the works of the Apostate Bishop and the Possession of the Jackal?" This was still unsettling for him and he had to keep still from shaking violently. O Lord, what am I suppose to do? What is the role of the Jackal and why did the Abbots of my Monastery presumed it to be connected with me?
[size=75]Avatar from:[url=http://artofphilwohr.blogspot.com/2007/08/redmist-castle-work.html]Phil Wohr[/url]
[hr][/hr]
[i][b]"Hate thy neighbours for they hate you even more."[/i][/b]
[hr][/hr]
Posting: Once/week[/size]
Anistis
The Tender

Post by Anistis »

As the group entered the Hall of Records, Anistis couldn't help but marvel, as he always did, at the wealth of information contained therein, all waiting to be unlocked by him as he advanced in his ability to read the common tongue. The limits of his literacy could be frustrating at times, but he was making good progress in his studies in that area.

When Caranosa offered him food, he realized for the first time that morningtide that he was famished. He thanked the sister, sat down at one of the desks, and began to eat. He found it delicious, and began devouring it in large bites. He was still eating when Father Garonius entered.

"Gawd Morningtahd," he said, his mouth full of honeyed bread. He took a moment, chewed, swallowed, offered an embarassed smile, and then, "Good morningtide, Father. Brother."

Anistis wasn't sure why Father Garonius had been so short with Sister Caranosa, and hadn't even acknowledged him and Tyrone. When Tyrone looked at him, Anistis could only shrug; Father Tamerus had been off to some sort of meeting when Anistis had first woke up, but he still hadn't a clue what any of it was about.

When Tyrone inquired further about the Jackal, Anistis leaned forward in his chair, eager to hear more himself. What he'd picked up of Caranosa and Tyrone's conversation earlier, upon entering the sanctuary, had been frightening, but also intriguing. Anistis had never heard of this Jackal before today. Jaxomen was also intriguing, or both Jaxomens were, if they weren't the same man. The latter seemed more likely. A human being couldn't live for two hundred years, could he?
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

Caranosa glances at the office door with an inscrutable expression. She then walks over to one of the desks and picks up a large leather bound book and brings it over. “Father Garoniusshould be busy for awhile.”

Written across the cover is the title; Heroes of the Faith. It is obviously very old. Carefully opening the book, Caranosa passes several pages, each with a figure of a person and much small script.

Landing on a page about a third of the way from the end of the book, she taps it with her finger. “Here, this is Bishop Jaxomen.”

The picture is of a man just past mid life in rather plain bishops robes with a rather severe expression on his face.

The man in the picture looks like a slightly younger version of the man Tyrone ran into at the Dragons Den.

It may be just a trick of the light, but for a moment, Tyrone, seems to see the picture suddenly look towards him with a slight smile and a wink. It only lasts a moment and no one else seems to have noticed it.

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Anistis
The Tender

Post by Anistis »

Anistis let his gaze linger on the illustration for a few moments. This, then, was the man who had been the center of the morningtide's conversations. He offered Tyrone a questioning glance. Was this man still alive today?

With a slight grimace, Anistis lowered his gaze back to the book and, if there was any text to be found to accompany the illustration, began to read what he could of it.
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

OOC: Don’t know what happened to Tyrone, but need to finish up this thread.

Anistis could make out some bits of information. Most of the page was taken up by the picture. However, the accompanying text confirmed the assertion that the man had indeed lived around 200 years ago.

Caranosa glanced towards the closed office door, and indicated she really needed to get to work on copying the text. She did mention that she would like the chance to speak with both Tyrone and Anistis again at some future date.

(Avatar by LEW 1998)

Return to “KC Archive”