[Chyril 27th early MT] Collecting leads.

Moderators: Maeve, Mods

Yin Lorin
Retired staff

[Chyril 27th early MT] Collecting leads.

Post by Yin Lorin »

Close to the Palace and left of the main square in Kings Court stands the temple and complex of the Royal Temple Order of Paladins. In addition to the temple itself, the complex contains a barracks, exercise yard and a number of other buildings. The Order was founded during the first crusades and is famous for protecting the former King Balthasar I, The Royal Order suffered severe losses at the battle of Brie, save for a paladin or two who have individually joined other projects. The complex is now largely deserted apart from a few loyal civilan members of staff who maintain and tend the buildings.
The entrance to the complex is through a huge pair of doors which stand at the top of a flight of gleaming white steps. The Entrance Hall of the Royal Temple Order of Paladins is made of sparkling white marble from wall to wall. Impressive columns hold up the ceiling. It is sparsely decorated, giving a stern impression to the weary visitor. A grey-haired, smartly dressed man can often be found in the entrance hall.
Yin entered the great hall walking with purpose as the dew was still clinging to the grass. He could hardly sleep that night, the face of Lorend haunted him in his sleep, as well as the fate of Baros. There was nothing he could do, he told himself, it was in the hands of the One. He could pray, and he did many time in the night. He prayed for his friends, and for their comfort. He wished he could do more, but this was not a thing he could fix, even if he knew how.

Once inside the temple he spoke to the old caretaker. “Do you have anything on Sir Lanther, also, what is there on the Alter of Truth.” He asked the older man. Breakfast would come in time, but for now, he need to get back to his tasks at hand. In the flicker of candlelight he was able to read over his list of things to do, and knew he was better serving the One doing what he was asked, rather than letting death drag him under the water of despair.

One thing did bother him, this is how his seventeenth yarhen was supposed to start. He knew he did not look much older, but he felt as if he was seventy.
Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum.

-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)
Guido Cercatoro
Moderator & Coordinator Pax

Post by Guido Cercatoro »

“Sir Lanthar was a devout Paladin, completely dedicated to the order,” explained the old caretaker. “He longed to fight for his beliefs in glorious battle. Yet, the One God had other tasks for him and he was far away when most of the Order fell in battle. When he returned there were few of the Order left and he despaired. And yet, the One had more work for him to do. He was charged with a great task. I am not sure what that task was, for I also had other matters to attend to.”

The old man sighed, suddenly looking weary, as if the memory of these events was painful. “It is strange that you speak of the Altar of Truth, for the night before he left, Lanthar came to me determined to seek out the altar. It is the last I heard of him, although I believe one other saw him before he left, so perhaps he was successful in his search.”

“Lanthar came to me,” continued Theobald, “for he knew that I was the keeper of the keys to the caverns that lie below this temple. The altar is located there.”

“I will open the door to the altar if you wish. Yet, I must warn you. Few succeed and fewer still are unchanged by their journey. It is only for those pure in heart.”

Theobald’s eyes fell to the ground. Perhaps he was uttering a silent prayer.
Yin Lorin
Retired staff

Post by Yin Lorin »

Yin nodded. So the knight he was sent to find is on the same hunt for the alter as he was. “Good, I must find this same alter. I can hopefully find Sir Lanther, Sir Pandos, and Sir Feolin with it.” He looked to the older man. “I must make a trip to the country, with the Lady Constance. We have to visit the Murrelbuck estate, the Baron there is in need of our help.” He did not like that they were obliged to help in this matter, but it was something Constance did, she should undo it. If the Regent were to find out, well, that would be another kettle of fish that he would be in.

He had too much to do: A man to question about the powder coming in, Grandmere to find, to speak with the nobles and with the Bishops, he even wanted to find some time to speak with Miri. He felt as if he was being pulled in every direction. He sighed, his eyes showing their tire. This was his birthday, and he would spend it doing work, odd how that turned out.

If he was back on the farm there would be a party, cake, music and a day off from work. His Pa never made a person work on their birthday. It was not like he mentioned it to anyone, his age was something he liked not being mentioned. So many were older than him and they were supposed to look up to him. He did not feel old enough to have the responsibility he had. He was waiting for someone to come along and take it all back.

He looked back at Theobald. “Do you think you could collect some things for our trip, food, lamps rope and what not? We should return by trades, then we can start on our trip, pending the information we gather between then and now.”

Guido Cercatoro

Theobald nodded. "I will gather the supplies that you require. It is good to be of use again after so long tending this empty place. If that is all, I will see to it straightaway."

If Yin had no further questions, the old retainer would bustle away in a remarkably spritely fashion.

(OOC: Yin you can assume that Theobald gathers basic supplies of food, water, lanterns and fuel sufficient for the journey and that these are available whenever you wish to start. You can also assume Constance and any of the other NPCs you wish to take are waiting at your house ready to depart.)
Yin Lorin
Retired staff

Post by Yin Lorin »

Guido Cercatoro

Locked for archiving.
Guido Cercatoro

Skilled!

Return to “KC Archive”