[Chyril 27 MT] Visiting the Murrelbuck's

Moderators: Maeve, Mods

Guido Cercatoro
Moderator & Coordinator Pax

Post by Guido Cercatoro »

Cerise put one grateful arm around Sebastian as he crouched down beside her. She leant her head into the crook of his shoulder and neck but remained silent, unable to take her gaze away from her father.

Kriesbon also remained quiet for a few burns but was suddenly hit by a renewed round of coughing. A dribble of green vomit emerged from one side of his mouth as if the coughing was forcing out some of the poison from his system. More of the pungent smelling sick emerged and the coughing grew more intense. The old Baron’s lungs wheezed and laboured to expel the vomit.

Cerise gasped with concern, frantically gazing towards Sebastian.
Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

Post by Sebastian Beauvais »

If the moment weren't so tense with concern over Baron Kriesbon, Sebastian would surely have been floating on clouds with the tenderly familiar contact Cerise offered. Having her head laying upon his shoulder was a dream come true for him, a culmination of hopes that had teasingly plagued him ever since they had first met. But the joy of it was muted, as though just not quite within reach, and Sebastian knew he would have to wait a while longer. Still, he tilted his head down toward Cerise's until it pressed lightly against hers to convey his shared feeling of comfort.

Finally it begins, thought Sebastian upon seeing the Baron's renewed coughing and the appearance of the green spittle. This was just as Travis had explained and while promising, the young baron still held some small kernel of worry over the potion's positive effects. The doctor pronounced it safe, he reassured himself, with only a small trace of desperation in the thought.

"It's all right," he explained to Cerise as gently as he could, giving her shoulder a squeeze before making sure the old baron was positioned so his mouth would drain the foul ichor he was egesting. They couldn't let him choke on the stuff, not when his salvation was so near. "This is what I was told would happen...vomit and coughing to clear the system, then recovery."

"Make sure he's able to spit out the sickness," he instructed his love. "I'll summon the physician immediately." With her agreement Sebastian raced to the door and yanked it open, calling out for the old medic to come right away.
[color=orange]Avatar courtesy of Tazlure's own, the incredible Finley Ward![/color]
Guido Cercatoro

With Cerise’s help, Sebastian propped up the old Baron to ensure that the foul-smelling vomit fell from his mouth. The medic responded immediately to the call and within a few flickers he was nodding contentedly as his patient continued to cough and expel the liquid.

“This is a good sign, it is what I would expect”, explained the physician. After another burn Kriesbon finished coughing and the third dose of the remedy was administered. A further round of vomiting and coughing ensued before the stricken man was eventually silent. His breathing was now much easier and although the Baron’s face was ashen, the physician appeared content.

“All we can do now is wait,” he said gently to Cerise. “I have great hopes that the cure has done some good. I will return again shortly.”

Once again, the old man departed. Cerise sat by her father but spoke a few words to Sebastian. “Whatever happens,” she said quietly, “I will never marry Leonius after what he has done to my father.”

The baron appeared to be resting peacefully, but his daughter was clearly intent on watching his every breath.
Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

Sebastian thanked the elderly physician as he left and then turned to regard Cerise and her father. He thought the old baron looked better, even with the pale complexion, and Sebastian's apprehension over the effects of Travis' remedy subsided. It seemed the spurned aide's hatred was for Leonius alone.

"No one in their right mind would expect it," Sebastian replied to Cerise's quiet vow. "Besides, once your father awakes and hears the tale, I am sure a broken engagement will be the least of Leonius' worries. In fact, I am quite looking forward to confronting the Major Domus with his crimes," Sebastian said with dark anticipation glinting in his crisp blue eyes.

He considered, if only for a flicker, putting forward his own case for Cerise's hand, but his respect for her current distress stilled that idea quickly. There would be plenty of time to officially woo the golden-haired lady once this crisis had passed. Sebastian knew he held a special place in her heart and that advantage allowed him to be magnanimous now.

"With your permission, I will withdraw and inform our hostess and the others of your father's progress. If you need anything, just call and I'll be here in a flicker." Offering his love a small, reassuring smile, Sebastian stepped out of the Baron's room and headed back to where he had left Magdalena, Constance and Yin. No doubt they would be very interested in the Baron's progress.
[color=orange]Avatar courtesy of Tazlure's own, the incredible Finley Ward![/color]
Guido Cercatoro

Cerise acknowledged Sebastian’s comments with a grateful smile but her attention was centred on her father, who was now resting peacefully. The Baron departed and returned to the room where Yin, Constance and Magdalena were waiting.

“The physician tells me that all went well,” said Magdalena, the tension evident in her voice. “However, if the Baron recovers, I suspect that it will only be the start of our troubles. When he hears of the events surrounding his illness, he will…” She heaved a sigh. “He can be an impulsive man. Events will have to be managed carefully.”
Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

Sebastian confirmed the physician’s report for the sake of the three facing him. “Yes, it appears the Baron will recover. He is breathing easy and his colour is improving.” He turned crisp blue eyes upon Constance for a flicker and nodded slightly to thank her once again for her part in the treatment.

He didn’t immediately answer Lady Murrelbuck’s other concern, instead pondering how much he should say in present company. To delay he strode toward the window, hands clasped behind his back, and glanced out at the yard surrounding Magdalena’s manor house as he considered his words.

“I agree that restraining the Baron from rash action is important,” he said, still facing the window. “His poisoner is powerful enough to give pause to anyone, and there is also the matter of setting an example of the malefactor, so that no one is brazen enough to try this again. No one should toy with another’s life so callously.”

In the back of his mind, Sebastian worried about the duplicity of his words. Wasn’t he planning on using Leonius’ expected downfall to further his own ambitions with Cerise, her father, and through him the kingdom at large? But that wasn’t the same thing! Leonius was a criminal, an attempted murderer, and playing politics with his life was not nearly as bad as with some innocent. Was it? He sought to remove an evil man from a position of power, and all he asked in return was the chance for the hand of the woman he loved, and who loved him back. He was not the same as the Major Domus, and he would not give in to a spineless conscience on this point!

Internal considerations aside, Sebastian still owed Magdalena a proper answer. “I expect the Baron will be a few days recovering, despite his improved state. Perhaps we can convince him to let us handle the matter on his behalf, and thus keep matters on an even keel?”
Guido Cercatoro

“I will …mollify… the patient,” replied Magadalena. “In any event, he will no doubt be too weak to do anything in the short term. Moreover, I doubt that his daughter will allow him to venture out for a good while.”

“So that does indeed leave it in our hands, Baron. What next? How do you intend to proceed?” Magdalena sauntered over to the Baron, apparently moving to gaze out of the window. As she passed by Sebastian, she flicked her eyes in the direction of Constance and Yin. The import of her unspoken gesture were clear: can we trust these two?
Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

Sebastian saw the gesture and subtly shook his head in the negative. He didn't know the two well enough to trust them with this, and Yin had already shown his bias against the nobility. Combined with his religious fervor, Sebastian could imagine the paladin ruining everything with a misguided sense of right and wrong. No, his silent reply said to Magdalena, we should wait to discuss this.

"I think the first thing to do," the young baron replied after half a burn of consideration, "is to finish thanking these two and let them be on about their lives." Sebastian turned to face Constance and Yin with a grateful smile, and crossed to stand before them.

"We had a deal," he said with formal commitment to Constance, "and you have upheld your end. I shall do so with mine as well. The Baron shall hear of your plight, and if you get me whatever information you have I pledge we will work to find your brother."

"Sir Lorin," he continued, turning to the paladin, "I hope we might find some common ground in the future, that both our passions can be united to produce a better kingdom for all. I shall be interested to keep an eye on your career."

"Thank you both for coming, from the bottom of my heart. Baron Kriesbon's recovery means a great deal to me, and I shall never forget your assistance." Sebastian bowed slightly to the pair and then stepped back a pace, allowing for a reply or a simple exit.
Guido Cercatoro

Constance nodded at the baron, a relieved look lighting up her pretty face. “I will contact you when you have returned to the capital and hopefully we can locate my brother.”

“Come, Yin,” Constance took Yin’s arm and the pair left the room.

(OOC: as Yin hasn’t posted for a while I have taken the liberty of assuming he goes with Constance out of the room. However, Yin is still free to remain in Murrelbuck should he wish).

Lady Magdalena turned to the Baron, her expression now all business-like. “I feel uncomfortable discussing these matters with a paladin present, for I am sure that when the fallout from today’s events rebounds around the capital city, the church will seek to have a major say in future events.”

“And now, Baron, we must discuss what will transpire. I presume that you intend to use the plot you have discovered to bring down the Regent? Yet, if he falls, it will inevitably have some impact on Eisenreich’s claim to the throne. Whatever the truth of the matter, Leonius is seen as Eisenreich’s man and it will be assumed that he either sanctioned the plot or was too weak in control of his man. The Duke will appear a knave or a fool. This will not bother most of his supporters for they know he is both. Yet, there are many who harbour doubtsabout his ability to lead the Kingdom. And, the veracity of his claim, of course.”
Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

"True enough, and a good point," Sebastian conceded on the matter of the Church. "To be honest, I had been considering Sir Lorin as a liability unto himself, on his own merits. I should have thought of the bigger picture."

"Although," he added, half-wistfully, "to have that surety of purpose would be nice sometimes. That sense of certainty that your actions are correct and appropriate, no matter what." The young baron cast a glance at his more experienced counterpart, not afraid to show a flicker of indecision. "Life would be so much easier that way, don't you think? Incredibly dangerous for you and all around you, but simpler all the same."

"We must keep Sir Lorin in mind," Sebastian concluded the theme after a burn's quiet reflection. "A tool so narrowly and well defined would seem a shame to waste, if the opportunity presents itself."

As Magdalena laid out the probable impact of exposing Leonius, the barest hint of a gloating, sly look appeared on Sebastian's face. It was nothing outright, just a tug at the corner of the mouth and a glint in his crisp blue eyes, but there was the sense about him that the outcome his hostess was describing was privately, personally satisfying. Which, of course, was the whole and exact truth.

"That had all occurred to me," the young baron agreed. "And to be honest, does not dissuade me from pursuing that path. Leonius must be removed from power, plain and simple," he stated tersely, no mercy at all in his tone. "I will not allow this transgression to pass unpunished. It is an attack against not only the Baron personally, but the institution of the nobility as a whole." They had already talked about that to an extent, so he declined to elaborate further.

"If, as you correctly surmise in my opinion, this harms the Duke's chances for the throne, then so be it. I admit I doubt Eisenreich was party to a plot against one of his oldest friends, but the fact that he has placed his trust in individuals like the Major Domus and then proven unable to control their baser tendencies speaks volumes on his judgement of allies. Will the kingdom end up allied with similar 'trustworthy' friends should the Duke claim the throne? This is the second time in a yahren that Eisenreich has shown a remarkable lack of judgement, and I don't believe the kingdom can afford to let him keep trying to get it right."

Sebastian pursed his lips and idly scratched his beard along the jawline, his eyes focused inward. "The real question is what becomes of the kingdom when the frontrunner is suddenly dropped back into the middle of the pack." The red-head looked to Magdalena again, as though his northern neighbour might harbour answers. "Who becomes the leader of choice then?"

"And what becomes of us?" he mused, turning once again to the window. "The Duke has granted some concessions to the Estates for their support. Could a better deal be struck with another candidate, if the race is on once again? I think it quite possible. Also of import are Pax and T'aquar," he said, brushing on touchstones that might ignite a thousand different passions depending on the listener. "How would a free Pax affect things? What if the adhiel reclaimed T'aquar?"

He pivoted quickly, wondering what expression Magdalena wore as he mused over such things. Perhaps he would catch a rare glimpse behind the professional mask the lady invariably wore. Regardless of his success, he pressed that point, albeit gently.

"What has been the impact of Pax on Murrelbuck, m'lady? Are you better off for its presence as a military compound? And what of T'aquar? Has the occupation of the adhiel homeland had any effect on your estate?"
Guido Cercatoro

“It is not just Sir Lorin I had in mind when I spoke of the church,” replied the Baroness carefully. “My…..sources inform me that Bishop Delos has been…removed and that the new head of the church, Bishop Lazos, takes the view that the succession should be determined by the church. He is a strong proponent of the view that the King must be an avatar sanctioned by the church. Who he has in mind as avatar, I have no idea. But if there is a power vacuum, the church will not hesitate to try to reassert their power. “

Magdalena spoke with evident urgency as if the thought of the church acquiring renewed influence disturbed her more than she was willing to say.

“I concur with your view that Leonius was acting alone with regard to Kriesbon. Eisenreich has no need of such a machination for Kriesbon has always been a loyal supporter. Leonius merely sought to enhance his own power. There will be few tears shed if he is deposed. But who, I wonder, will be the new regent? One will have to be appointed. Perhaps Lazos will seek to propose himself?”

“As for the succession,” continued the Baroness, pursing her lips in deep concentration. “Well as far as I understand it, Drakedoder is unquestionably the legal heir if the normal rules of bloodline are followed. Beyond that, you will have to ask those more learned than myself. Yet at the end of the day, I suspect power rather than legal niceties will determine the outcome. Raw, naked power – political and military.”

“Pax?” The woman raised a querying eyebrow. “Well, in one sense it is too remote to be of major concern. On the other hand, my sources…..” She paused for a flicker giving Sebastian a coy smile. “I do seem to have many sources, don’t I.”

“In any event, there are many who say that, despite the best efforts of the Provost, it is a powder keg waiting to be lit. The population is pagan and yet it is policed by Oneists. The resentment will grow. And if Pax does explode, well it may send reverberations throughout the kingdom. Will any rebellion be quashed by the military or would it be allowed to secede? Either option raises many questions. And if we add T’aquar into the equation…”

“And what of Brie and Murrelbuck?” Magdalena, switched the conversation suddenly, her eyes focusing directly on the Baron. “Are we to be passive sightseers in all this, hoping to escape unscathed. Or, are we to take risks and become players of the game?”
Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

"It is our fortunes that prompted me to ask the question in the first place," replied Sebastian without guile. "If we don't consider the implications of these events, and possibly influence them to our benefit, we could easily end up on the outside looking in. I don't think that's the right approach to take, not after all that has happened to the Estates in the past few yahren. We need to make sure our people and their concerns are addressed."

"I hadn't realized the change in power within the Church. The 'need' for an avatar is something I have not been able to reconcile yet with any of the frontrunners. If the Church must be appeased rather than ignored, succession becomes much, much more difficult."

"And the result of that aspect ties directly to Pax and T'aquar," he pointed out, now turning from the window and slowly pacing about the room as he spoke. "If the Church is only a minor player in the new regime then more liberties can be offered to the pagan settlements, without fear of organized opposition. I don't believe the average citizen of the kingdom cares one way or the other what is happening in Pax, so long as it is not directly hurting their own life. So the powder keg, as you so aptly put it, could likely be defused peacefully, and perhaps even to the benefit of close trading partners like Brie and Murrelbuck. The same goes for T'aquar, were the adhiel allowed to resume independence in the ancestral home. A return of confiscated lands could do much to ensure stability and peace throughout the northern half of the kingdom."

Sebastian shook his head, as though such a simple gesture could somehow unscramble all the complications the kingdom now faced. Not so long ago all he wanted was the chance to vie for Cerise's hand. Now that opportunity was so close he could taste it, and yet it was almost a minor consideration next to what else faced the young baron. Two steps closer and three back, he mused silently.

"I am grateful you have those eyes and ears," Sebastian remarked a bit late, in reference to Magdalena's network. "They are a very valuable resource in such times as these. No matter what you choose to do, I am certain they will give you an excellent chance to succeed."

He propped his hands along the back of a settee, leaning forward slightly as he looked at the baroness. "I want Brie to emerge from this chaos at least as strong as it was before the invasion. I want it recognized the vital part we play in keeping the kingdom strong from within, and I wanted it supported for that effort."

"To achieve that, I think the next king must act as a consolidator. He must stop the bleeding, as it were, and put the kingdom's house back in order. There is no point looking to expand our borders, or put our stamp on other cultures if our own people are dying from neglect and ignorance."

Sebastian sighed and looked down at his hands, gripping the settee tightly with unconscious conviction. "I suppose that sounds awfully naive to your experienced ears, baroness. But it is what I think the kingdom needs right now - a chance to breathe, and live again." The young baron fell silent for several flickers, silently chewing his thoughts.

"And what of Murrelbuck? What hopes do you have for your home?"
Guido Cercatoro

“I find myself in agreement with much of what you say,” said the Baroness, in a manner that suggested she found the level of her agreement most surprising. “However, do not be complacent about Pax. After the loss of the Mouth, many nobles will be reluctant to lose another part of the empire, for they may see it as a prelude to the end of the Kingdom and perhaps much of their own power.”

“As for Murrelbuck….. well, I am of the growing opinion that my barony and those in the rest of the Border Estates cannot stand idly by whilst our fate is determined by others. Alone we are weak but if we were to band together in common cause…Brie, Murrelbuck, Foreno, Humnoy and Killem’toh, would prove to be a powerful block. And, we all have an interest in stability, so that our economies may prosper.”

“Eisenriech is no solution to the kingdom’s problem; he will merely perpetuate what has gone before. Neither will a new avatar backed by the church, no doubt determined to re-impose the religious fundamentalism that is the source of our present problems. Indeed, we need no idealist but a practical King who seeks nothing nobler that economic stability and tolerance. But who could that be?”

The Baroness sighed, for once looking slightly vulnerable. “I have said too much. Yet, I feel on these issues we may make common cause.”
Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

Sebastian nodded, taking in stride Magdalena's criticism of his views on Pax. "I don't counsel we let the protectorate secede from the kingdom, just that we remove the forced seclusion of its people. Let Pax become an equal part of the kingdom, where any can live."

"It's not part of any barony now so leaving it that way, surrounded as it is by the Estates anyway, should not pose any threat to the rest of the noble holdings."

"Now, T'aquar may be a different issue," Sebastian admitted with a rueful shrug. "I'm not sure if Murrelbuck has taken advantage of the kingdom's occupation, or whether the other Estates have claimed land, but handing the adhiel lands back to their original owners might do exactly what you said - lessen the current holdings of the nobles. That would be an issue," the young baron agreed.

Sebastian's face softened as he gained a brief glimpse of the concerned woman behind the baroness' facade. He understood completely the feeling and sympathized. And as one who favoured candor over duplicitous statemanship, he felt emboldened by Magdalena's admission.

"You are right," he said, reaching a decision. "It is time for the Estates to come together, to make our voices heard in the capital, to lead into the future rather than follow. The question of who should be supported for king can wait for the moment. What we must do is convene the other barons and come to an agreement on what we shall demand of the crown for our continued support."

"I must admit only passing familiarity with the others, given my short time in power," he admitted to Magdalena. In truth, he had spent more time with the baroness over his short tenure than all the other rulers of the Estates combined. That was due in part to Murrelbuck's location as his closest neighbour, but also due to the baroness' friendship with the Kriesbons. With Cerise living so close over the past while, Sebastian had taken advantage of any excuse to visit Magdalena.

"How would you suggest we approach the other three with our proposition? All at once, or gather them one by one? And if the latter, who would we start with?"
Guido Cercatoro

The Baroness paused for a few flickers as she considered Sebastian’s question. “The three Barons represent slightly different problems,” she began, with an amused glint in her eye.

“The Baron of Killem’toh and his family are long standing friends of mine, so you may leave them to me. I suspect that they would support out cause without too much persuasion if I approached them directly, which I am willing to do. They generally prefer to keep out of court politics, for their barony is remote and small. The Baron’s wife is adhiel, of course, which may have had something to do with their decision to take a low profile. Interestingly, Killem’toh borders T’aqar and the Baron is usually well informed of events there.”

“Hulmnoy is a more difficult case. It is an important barony but the Baron has been unwell for some time. Indeed, some rumours have suggested that Lord Magnifius is quite mad.” She shrugged her shoulders, indicating that she was undecided as to the truth of this latter rumour. “Yet, I heard only yesterday that he is slowly recovering and intends to make his first appearance in many months by attending the summer celebration is Pax in Jygust. If we wish to contact him before that date, we must I fear journey to Hulmnoy.”

“Finally, and critically, Foreno. The Baron is the only one of the Border Barons who has played a consistent role in the politics of the kingdom in recent years. He is an astute but honest man. He stations one of his sons permanently in King’s Court and the other is Provost of Pax. It may be sensible to approach him indirectly through one of his sons.”
Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

Sebastian listened closely to Magdalena as she went through their peers, nodding at certain points and gazing thoughtfully past the baroness as a strategy coalesced within his mind.

"That sounds like a plan to me," he nodded at the end. "If you can bring Killem'toh on board, I will speak with one of Foreno's sons and feel him out on the issue. I think the one in Kings Court would be best," the young baron opined. "The subject of Pax will undoubtedly come up and I'd imagine the Provost is too close to the matter to discuss it objectively, so his brother seems the better choice of the two. Besides, I am heading back to the capital anyway," he added in a meaningful tone, referencing Kriesbon's poisoning.

"And even if I get defered to the Provost, we can speak with him in Jygust," Sebastian explained with a smile. "For I think it best we visit Pax for the summer celebration. We can approach Hulmnoy there, and the Provost as well, under the guise of attending the festivities and congratulating our fellow baron on his successful convalescence. With any luck, we can have a rough strategy in place by the end of the festival, to present to whomever we choose to support for the crown."

Sebastian raised an eyebrow as he looked at Magdalena, his expression inviting comments on the general plan he had outlined.
Guido Cercatoro

Magadalena nodded in agreement with Sebastian’s suggestions. “It is agreed, we will follow your plan. Let us hope for a satisfactory outcome to these discussions, for much is at stake. In any event, by the end of the festival we should know how all the Barons stand. In the meantime, I will approach Killem’toh and send word to you as to his response.”

“And now, Baron, unless there is more we need to discuss, you must excuse me for I have estate business to attend to. You are welcome to be my guest here, but I suspect that you will wish to return to the capital now this crisis appears to have passed?”
Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

"You have guessed my intentions correctly," Sebastian replied, his voice full of dark promise. "There is someone I must see there, and soon." Visions of the Major Domus in varying states of distress and humiliation flashed though the young baron's mind, and inwardly at least he smiled. The oily man was about to get what was coming to him, twice over.

"I appreciate your time baroness, and your extended kindness to the Baron and family. I shall look forward to seeing you again, no later than the summer festival in Pax. For now, I shall make my farewells to the Kriesbons and see myself out. Good day, baroness."

With a bow, Sebastian left Magdalena to her own work and set off to say goodbye to Cerise before returning to Kings Court. There was still some preparation to do before barging into Leonius' office, a few bolt holes to close up so that the Major Domus would have no avenue of escape. But soon the man would get his just desserts and the kingdom would be better off for it.
Guido Cercatoro

Sebastian found Cerise still sitting by her father. Kriesbon still slept, his breathing appearing almost normal. The relief from her father’s recovery had taken its toll on the girl for she was now sound asleep, her head lolling back in her chair. A trace of a smile was fixed on Cerise’s lips as if her dreams were peaceful, even pleasant.

At Sebastian’s entry, she stirred a little, folding her hands into one corner of the chair and then resting one cheek on the hands. Her lips parted in a quiet murmur and in a low whisper she murmured his name… “Sebastian”….before returning to a deep slumber.
Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

The sight melted Sebastian's heart, and he could but stand and stare lovestruck at Cerise. A smile tugged at the corners of his mouth as he considered his love curled up in the chair, finally granted the peace she deserved. One part of him wished the moment would never disappear.

But the realities of the world would not wait, and so Sebastian forced himself to move. He crept softly to where an extra blanket lay at the foot of Baron Kriesbon's bed and after quietly unfolding it, laid it over Cerise to ward off any chill. Then he leaned close and kissed her forehead, a whisper touch of his lips lest he spoil her sleep.

As Sebastian exited the manor house an excited chill swept through him, and he would have sworn his boots barely touched the ground. A strange mood for one about to confront a nemesis? Or perhaps that wasn't really what was on his mind at all.

She is dreaming of me!
Guido Cercatoro

Cerise did not stir as Sebastian placed the blanket over her and gave his farewell kiss. He departed quickly, his hopes lifted by the events of the day.

(OOC: fin here, i think, with some definite progress in love and...war!)
Guido Cercatoro

Locked for skilling
Guido Cercatoro

Skilled and archived

Return to “KC Archive”