Finding a Mentor (Chyril 28th MT)

Moderators: Maeve, Mods

Matiel Escariot
Civus
Location: In a place surrounded by farms I my family does not own.

Post by Matiel Escariot »

"Damn," Matiel sighed, seeing the his own slights in Haikan's act of saving him from almost destroying their relations with the Baron. Besides, it was Haikan who had that privilege and not him. The last thing he wanted to do was ruin the fortune they've so far achieved, "Please forgive me, Sire, It seems I've forgotten myself in my haste to complete my endeavors before my own self imposed deadlines are over."

Matiel nodded his thanks towards the elf before he returned his eyes back into Sebastian's own, "If you are busy, maybe I could approach you at some other time, at some other venue, or at least approach some of your men to inquire over the possibility of a meeting. For now, We shall take steps to keep things in check and not hurry them to death. I truly appreciate having met you, Sire. I pray that I was of no inconvenience."

Matiel then turned to Haikan, "If anything, I'm staying for a while. There are a couple of people I need to meet. I'll make sure this won't impede with the plans we already have in place."
Mikail
Civus

Post by Mikail »

Mikail just watched the others for a while as they spoke, mildly amused by Sebastian's desire to escape from Matiel's new meeting plan. It's sad that Matiel just got here and we're all ready to leave. I suppose I'm indifferent to however long we must stay. It is important to hear how all of this is coming together.

Mikail spoke up to Matiel: "Speaking of plans, I seem to have stumbled upon a cooking apprenticeship right here at the Dragon's Den. I should be well prepared by the time we leave. All I have to do now is write up the copies of your contracts." I wonder if it makes any difference whether or not I can read them, I'll only be copying down the characters... If I spend enough time on it I'm sure they'll look good enough, I can't let myself be useless after all. I might even learn a word or two... If I can't I suppose I can always ask Haikan for help, I'm sure he's fluent in writing the human's language.

"Haikan, would you mind stopping by a market of some sort? I need to buy eggs, flour, and milk. If you have a cooking range that would also be very helpful."
Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

Post by Sebastian Beauvais »

Sebastian tried to break the news to Matiel gently, though even undermining his argument against the Royal Mail did not invalidate the premise entirely.

"Although I cannot comment for the other two you have written, I suspect they may have similar excuses," he began his reply. "I do not see every piece of mail addressed to my station master Escariot, there is simply too much. My staff reviews the majority and passes on to me those messages that require my direct attention. I would suspect your message got caught in that filter and still remains."

The baron looked thoughtful for a few flickers, before offering suggestions about both of Matiel's proposals. "I might be interested in your ideas on the crossbow, but I'll need to see something more than a letter. Can you show me a mock-up of your design, or something a little more concrete to reward some investment in your idea? I think then we might have something to talk about."

"With regard to the Royal Mail, I do not believe there have been any serious faults in the service," he reiterated, although he raised a hand to forestall any complaints to his apparent position. "But I don't believe the operators have any God-given right to the position. If you can demonstrate a better service for equal of better cost, I am sure the kingdom would be interested. I would suggest a successful showing in your venture with masters Haikan, Mikail and Haymaker would position you well to approach the government with an alternate proposal to the existing Royal Mail."

After listening to any final remarks from those around the table, Sebastian finished raising himself from his chair. "I'm afraid I have more business to attend this day, but it was a pleasure meeting all of you. I wish you well in your fledgling venture, and will look forward to seeing the fruits of your labour benefit the kingdom as a whole."

"Good day to you all," the baron nodded and then slipped out from around the table, threading his way through the morningtide crowd before disappearing back into the building.
[color=orange]Avatar courtesy of Tazlure's own, the incredible Finley Ward![/color]
Sando Haymaker
Civus

Post by Sando Haymaker »

Sando looked up from his now-mountainous stack of notes upon hearing word of Sebastian's departure. Scrambling to his feet quickly, the halfling performed a strange, sweeping bow and spoke, "It was a pleasure, Baron."

Regaining his seat and clearing his throat, the entrepreneur addressed the still-assembled company, "Now, gentlemens. I believe we have pressing business to attends to?"

Leafing quickly through a few sheets of paper still wet with scribbled remarks, a smile crept up to young Sandy's lips. Inviting himself along without formal acceptance, the halfling questioned, "Shall we discussing our first venture into the wilds?"

He slid one page of yellow paper a few inches out in front of him with the head margin of the text towards the halfling, indicating that the sheet was available to be inspected. Anyone who did examine the notes would see a series of mildly advanced book-keeping statistics outlining the costs of acquiring things such as carts, wagons, foodstuffs, mules, and the like. The information was displayed in a matrix fashion-- meaning; it was easy to compare the end cost of various quantities of a particular supply in relation to the cost of various amounts of other relevant supplies. Mules need to eat, for example. Mules and feed both cost good banner. Simple equations can be used to determine how much purchasing power the banner has in respect to mules and an amount of feed that can sustain them.

To the completely untrained eye it would appear mostly as financial gibberish with a sprinkling of useful figures-- such as the costs of various supplies which Sando (being of a agricultural background himself) estimated and penned in himself. To someone with even a slight mind for numbers, it should be obvious (at the very least) that a lot of thought was spilled onto this page.

Sando continued, "I am a buyer. I am a seller. I have a mind for merchanting. Tell me what we needs to be started and I can obtain these things at a low cost. Spending crown to make banner is a dangerous game, sirs. Efficiency is Key!"
Haikan
Moderator & Coordinator Mer Cities

Post by Haikan »

The notes that lay before the elf are quite difficult to decipher, so he focuses on listening to Sandy's explanation. He doesn't quite understand the equations and matrices, but amongst the chickenscratch he noticed mentionings of mules and feed.

"This seems pretty elaborate, you really know a lot about merchanting, don't you Sando? I'm not much of a mathemetician, but I can see that you've researched agricultural business, or at least know a good deal about it. mules, carts, grain, tools and other products, these are things I haven't spent too much time thinking about, seeing as I'm focusing on the protection side of things... I did do some businesswork at the Prancing Stallion last night regarding transportation, but I have yet to close any deals for certain. I think it's best that you handle the business end of things, if you decide to join us. I don't seem to be too bad at barterwork, but you are clearly superior in that department." He nods his head towards the halfling and leans back in his chair, putting his left hand to his chin.

"I noticed writings regarding mules and feed... I was thinking more along the lines of oxen... Horses at the least. Not only is it good to have sturdy reliable and strong transportation, I do believe I mentioned my musings last night. We should take advantage of the friendly nature of the folks down at the Prancing Stallion." He returns to his upright position, his metaphorical light bulb clicking on. His eyes light up and it's clear he has an idea.

"Matiel, what say you about electing Sando as a junior partner, with limited authority, and specialization in the business and mathematical department? He has connections in Brie, which would be extremely beneficial, and he's pretty knowledgable of trade. All in all I think that meeting him is a great opportunity for both himself, and the company. He would gain a steady income, and he could participate in the restoration of the unstable economy in the Western Kingdom, which he has so enthusiastically showed an interest in. We would gain a sharp businessmind, who offers the potential to save huge amounts of money. He may have a strange way of speaking, but he doesn't have to be a grade A diplomat to be a master of business, now does he? Mikail, Matiel, what are your thoughts?"
Last edited by Haikan on Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matiel Escariot
Civus
Location: In a place surrounded by farms I my family does not own.

Post by Matiel Escariot »

"My thoughts are quite simple," Matiel started.

"Mr Haymaker," he called the gnome and looked over his sheet of figures. He tried to understand to the best of his ability, and found them adqeuate for the purpose they seemed to address, "I offer you the position Haikan suggested. This will tie you in closely with me, sharing my responsibilities regarding money but with lesser the risk. However, keep in mind that with lesser risks comes lesser rewards. We would all, though, be just in awarding you for any effort you grace us with."

OOC:
Dudes, I think we pretty much covered everything we want to do with the caravan in our recesses, should we end this now?
Sando Haymaker
Civus

Post by Sando Haymaker »

OOC: Yes, I too think that this one is ready to be called 'done.'
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

OOC: Agreed. Done it is.
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

Thread locked for skilling
By all the Dodos! these are thoughts of weight,
Most venerable, wise, and out of date.
(from [i]The Paradise of the Birds[/i], by [i]W. J. Courthope[/i])

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

Nice read, but wicked heavy on the business! Can tell you guys have put in your homework on your plans, can't wait to see how this plot evolves!

Haikan:
NEW SKILL! Beautification: basic
NEW SKILL! Business Perception: basic +*
Lute: +*
Acrobatics: +*
Literacy [human]: +*

Mikail:
NEW SKILL! Beautification: basic
Meditation: +*
Armor [leather]+*
Literacy[human]: +*

Sando:
NEW SKILL! Native Craft [Marketing]
Business Perception: +*
Literacy[halfling]: +**

Sebastian:
NEW SKILL! Business Perception: basic
NEW SKILL! Teach [Heroism]: basic
Leadership: +*

Matiel:
NEW SKILL! Native Craft: Plotting
Conversation: +*
[color=#000000][i]"What of the soul was left, I wonder, when the kissing had to stop?"[/i]
-- Robert Browning. [/color][size=75][i]Avatar by: [url=http://vyrl.deviantart.com/]vyrl[/url][/i][/size]

Return to “KC Archive”