Fare Well and Fair Ale (EET) [Laughing King Tavern]

Moderators: Maeve, Mods

Haikan
Moderator & Coordinator Mer Cities

Fare Well and Fair Ale (EET) [Laughing King Tavern]

Post by Haikan »

Early Evening Tide Jy 30th

The entire company was scheduled to reconvene at the Laughing King Tavern for a final round of ale to celebrate their last night in the capital. Haikan was tired, but pleased with the accomplishments of the day. He had cleaned up since the grueling training session, and he felt better than ever before- though still a bit fatigued. None of that mattered because tonight would be a night of celebration. Yes, Haikan, Mikail, Sando, Matiel, Micah, Geoffrey, Regis, everybody in the company was going to share rounds and have one last good time before they left. Sando said that spending company money on a round for thirty four people would probably not be necessary, but heck. Not only is it their last night in the town, training today was vastly productive and Haikan was proud of his crew. The elvish captain approached the all too familiar appearance of the tavern

At the head of the Avenue of Trade in King's Court overlooking a small plaza of cobbled stone sat the Laughing King's Tavern. It was a large inn, as large as any rural coaching inn, and would feature a small, enclosed coach way along with three full stories with a regally steeped rooftop, at least when it was complete. While construction of the Laughing King's Tavern had left two floors complete and largely functional, the top level with it's steep rafters and sturdy walls remained a skeletal frame awaiting completion.

Due to this incomplete appearance, it was with some relief that the weary traveller found the taproom of the inn complete and still the regulars were found beyond the large, thick door through which they would gain entry. The room was low and hazy with the smoke of burning wood and pipe smoke, air that both obscured one's sight yet left behind a pleasant scent to mix with the rich, earthy smells of the dusted floor. To the right was a grand staircase of carved wood leading up to the floors above, and beyond this was the long, broad bar of newly-polished wood. To the left stretched the commons itself, with several small, round tables filling the expanse and several private snugs lining two of the walls, each spilling out more of the soft, golden light that filled the cavernous interior from countless lanterns and sconces. It had been a rough time of rebuilding, but regular patrons of the inn were set upon making sure their second home stayed. Mostly wayward warriors, rugged veterans, and the occasional regular merchant from the Avenue of Trade could be found here. The tavern was ran with exceptional care by the proprietor and with many loyal regulars and seasoned veterans it was no place to look for trouble.

Retrieved from "http://www.wiki.tazlure.nl/index.php/Laughing_King%27s_Tavern"

Haikan entered the door of the tavern and as he swung it open, he glanced around to see if his men were already there. "A round for all of my crew!" He shouted joyfully as he walked toward the counter and smiled brightly at the barkeep. The Laughing King's Tavern had been the company's base of operations for a long time now, and most days there were a good seven tables they prefered in the back because of their regular patronage here. "This'll be our last gathering here for quite awhile. It's a shame to say goodbye to the fair city. Are our tables still reserved?"
Last edited by Haikan on Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

A veritable explosion of enthusiasm burst from the crew upon Haikan's announcement of a round. A lithe and delicate waitress caught the leader's eye and questions with a wink and a grin. "Sure thing, mos' of em are a'ready 'ere," she responded and motioned toward the rear tables with a slender arm. "Drinks c'min up, sir," she said and then she was all supple and swaying hips as she made her way to gathering trays for the barkeep to fill.

The tender, meanwhile, gave Haikan a nod. "It'll be a sad day for me tomorrow, as well. Means I lose a good crowd. You've never caused us any trouble here - much more than I can say for most swordsmen. Next round is on us, drink to your health," he said and raised a tankard, sliding it over to the young man before partaking in the toast himself with a freshly filled ale.

It was a local brew, no doubt from the Baron Estates. There was a sweetness to it, but it was rather heavy and filling. The content of alcohol likely quite high. The barkeep returned to filling pottery mugs directly after, but was prepared for more conversation should Haikan be needing it.

OOC: I assume this is mostly going to be a character interaction thread, but if you guys need anything, toss a PM my way.
[color=#000000][i]"What of the soul was left, I wonder, when the kissing had to stop?"[/i]
-- Robert Browning. [/color][size=75][i]Avatar by: [url=http://vyrl.deviantart.com/]vyrl[/url][/i][/size]
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

The elf sipped his brew to the toast. He waited by the bar until his men had their drinks. He spoke just a few more words to the bartender. "Thank you kindly. Of course we shall return after our mission is complete. If you don't mind, I shall make a toast of my own to my employees." Tonight he wished to celebrate, but he did not intend to get drunk at all. This night was for his crew to enjoy, but he still had some planning to do, and he wanted to look over the routes he mapped out one more time. Nevertheless, once the beverages were served and every man had a drink in hand, he walked to the several tables which his soldiers were at, and he announced a toast of his own to his crew.

"Gentlemen, today was a great success, and I must say that I am pleased to work with every one of you! This group is dynamite for sure, and we are sure for greatness! Tomorrow we set out on the bright, but we celebrate tonight! Have fun, and enjoy the night before our adventure begins!" He beamed with joy as he shouted his toast and he raised his glass. "To cameraderie!" He then took a huge swig of his drink and laughed bravely. After the mammoth of a quaff he took from his brew, he did not plan to indulge in much more. He was quite pleased with his toast, and he moved to the back corner table where the company's first meeting was so long ago.

This was the table where the officers often sat. Haikan and Mikail Verida, Sando Haymaker, and Matiel Escariot were the ones who sat at this table normally, but nobody was ever excluded. A couple of the soldiers would quite often sit here too. Usually Geoffrey Mullen, Micah Guldor and sometimes a few of the other lieutenants would accompany the senior officers at this table. No one was unwelcome- these were merely the few that typically met for discussion of business. Tonight little business would be discussed however. Tonight would most likely be exchanging of humor, excited thoughts about the company, storytelling and general banter.
Last edited by Haikan on Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mikail
Civus

Post by Mikail »

Mikail walked in the tavern meekly and scanned the area for his brother. Once he saw the cheery mood and felt the amiable vibe, he dropped his cautious step and slumped down next to Haikan and a few senior officers. This is our last night in town. I may as well be sociable for once.

"Haikan, wanna hear a joke?" Mikail waved his hand turning away a drink as they were going around, and took off his jacket.

"I've actually got a few, but I should save some for the trip. I've been working on my act, so I figured I'd try one out while spirits were high." Mikail was smiling, and he well should be. He had almost everything he could want. He had a job, ample opportunities to learn, a brother, and friends. He was really learning how to lighten up, and was hoping that the reintroduction of his sense of humor would help him out.
Last edited by Mikail on Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

"Sure, I'm all ears." The elf smiled and humored his brother as he flicked one of his long pointed ears. Come to think of it they hadn't spent much time together lately, which was odd because they had a lot of catching up to do. Haikan could use a lighthearted joke or two. Mother knows he's been taking life a bit too seriously lately. At least he was still aware of it though, he worried about their sullen co-captain sometimes- in the respect that he may not be aware of how unhappy he was.

"Maybe you could tell Matiel a few knee-slappers at some point. Might lighten him up a bit, y'know?"
Last edited by Haikan on Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

The barkeep nodded as Haikan stepped away. "Have at it, boyo," he volleyed in return, and then brought his attention to wiping down a countertop of excess mead which had been spilled by a new and clumsy waitress. Not sure if this lassie'll last.

When the adhiel approached his crew he was met with jubilation which only elevated as he offered his toast. "He-yahs!" and echoes of "Comraderie!" bellowed off the thick walls and upward into the cavernous exposed beams of the ceiling. Everyone partook in their free round (a few had gotten there early enough for this to be their second and third rounds through, respectively) and the mood seemed even more lifted. Once Haikan left their tables for his own, they returned to their own banter. A few stray ladies, perhaps women of the night, had ambled into the establishment and surveyed the tables of warriors and decided to join them, which the men eagerly accepted.

At the Officer's Table Haikan was greeted by Geoffrey - Micah had not yet arrived. He gave a wave to Mikail as he entered. "Well met, friends," he gave each a solid handshake. Geoffrey settled back into his seat, and with it, took a swig of his brew. He, too, was concerned with keeping a clear head this evening, but not so much as Mikail who was turning away his drinks.

"Let's hear it, Mik," Geoffrey said, but directed to Haikan he continued. "Ha! Right, I'm not sure there's much of anything that'd lighten up Matiel. He's a brooding sort of fellow," here, Geoffrey found himself quite funny and gave into a short laugh before falling quiet out of interest in Mikail's joke-telling.
[color=#000000][i]"What of the soul was left, I wonder, when the kissing had to stop?"[/i]
-- Robert Browning. [/color][size=75][i]Avatar by: [url=http://vyrl.deviantart.com/]vyrl[/url][/i][/size]
Mikail
Civus

Post by Mikail »

Mikail smiled. I'd better not disappoint them. I actually have a little bit of a crowd this time, it's different than the mirror. Here goes... He cleared his throat and looked Haikan in the eye.

"A man walks into a tavern and orders a drink. He bets the barkeep two lances that he can bite his eye. Now the barkeep had good business that day, so he decided to risk the amusing wager. He accepts the bet and the man pulls out his eye and bites it. The barkeep is horrified, but then realizes that the eye was a marble; it was fake. He chuckles and gets out two coins, but the man declines. 'I'll bet you four lances that I can bite my other eye.'" Mikail paused for a moment to make sure he told the next part right, but after a flicker continued.

"This barkeep was no fool. He saw the man come in and he was clearly not blind, so he had to have at least one real eye. The barkeep accepts the new challenge, and the man takes out his wooden teeth and bites his other eye. The barkeep groans, but once again the man refuses his money. 'I'll bet you two crowns that I can piss in that mug all the way across the room without spilling a drop.'"

Mikail stopped for a second to make sure everyone was still paying attention. He was worried that his long-winded joke would lose their interest.

"The bartender sighs with relief, knowing this to be impossible. This was a very large bar, and it would be impressive to even hit the wall with a dart from where they were. 'I accept your challenge,' the bartender says. The man stands up on a stool, pulls down his trousers and pees all over the bartender, the counter, and himself, eventually falling off the stool. The bartender laughs hysterically, and as he's laughing he cleans up the mess and wipes the man's face off, and collects his money."

"After they're done laughing the bartender speaks up again 'I have to ask you... Why did you do that? You lost money and made a terrible mess.' The man smiles and replies: "I bet your wife over there twenty crowns that I could piss all over you and your bar, and that you'd laugh and clean it up'"

OOC: You had an open italics bracket - I fixed it. - Ash
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

Haikan followed Mikail's lengthy story, trusting that it'd be funny. He smiled a bit when the marble eye and the wooden teeth are mentioned, but he didn't really see it going anywhere. He wasn't disappointed however, and he burst into laughter when he heard the line about 'pissing all over the bar, the tender, and himself.' He slapped his hand on the table as he laughed for nearly a quarter of a burn. "Good one Mikail. Make sure to remember it, 'cause it's pretty hilarious." He looked over at Geoff to see how he took the joke.

"You got anything of particular importance on your mind this evening, Geoffrey?" He wanted to make sure his friends and employees were content with the company's status, and enthusiastic about the journey to come. He maintained a mild grin and continued. "Whether it be business, or corny jokes, feel free to mention anything you feel needs discussion."
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

Geoffrey joined in the laughter, but rather than slapping tables he pressed a hand to his abdomen as if to slow the fit by pressure. "Hahah, good one." His words trampled over Haikan's - their enthusiasm nearly mirrored in timing and in appreciation.

"Importance? No.. not so much, most important thing to be this night is to have a few drinks and then a good night's rest," he said with a light-hearted smile, raising his tankard for another drought of the heavy beverage. "Don't suppose we've got some barrels of this lot to take with us on the road, do we?" His smile turned into a grin. "Shame to go without, I'd say," he said.

"Speaking of food and drink, where's our small friend?" He, of course, referenced the most vertically challenged of the group, Sando. "Don't suppose he's still out gathering supplies at this late a mark, do you?" His fingers interwined with one another on the table-top, curiosity sparkling in his eyes.
Mikail
Civus

Post by Mikail »

Mikail let a huge smile overtake his face, and even laughing a little bit from their joyous response. It looks like I'm getting better at this! Perhaps I'm even starting to feel at ease in this town, despite the mad god.

"Don't suppose he's still out gathering supplies at this late a mark, do you?"

Mikail looked puzzled for a second. "I was shopping with him earlier, but after he approved my spending he had something else to do. The poor guy works really hard. We probably owe much of our success to him. I'm not sure where he is now, but I'm sure he'll arrive." He looked around and faced Geoffrey. "On another note, where might Matiel be? I've hardly seen him at all since we returned from our first trip."
Matiel Escariot
Civus
Location: In a place surrounded by farms I my family does not own.

Post by Matiel Escariot »

Matiel smiled a wide smile, as his eyes smiled with them, the peering, glinting eyes of an imp.

Matiel sent a finger to his lips as he approached the group from behind Mikail, upon hearing his words asking for his presence. He was trying to shush them, as he bowed his head and neared his lip to about an inch away from Mikail's ear.

He left a flicker of silence linger, with his controlled breath letting out an eerie and soft whisper in his granite grinding voice:

"I'm right behind you."

Matiel had his own ways of amusement. This was one of them.

He came here not that long after Haikan started the little celebration. He had promised to be here, and he did not like turning his back on words he owned.

He wasn't deep into loud merrymaking though. He had chosen to come in, find a chair, and look around. He was on his own then, for much of the time Haikan and the rest took on their conversation. Matiel had tired trying to find them in the crowds that huddled into one chaotic mix of joy and liquor. He thought it best to lay still, in the middle of the torrents, to see beyond the squall.

He was alone there, luckily able to procure some tea, honey, and milk. He sat there sipping, peering at the crowds. It was through the little gaps of seldom separated bands of joyous men that he saw them.

That was when he approached, and sat himself among them.

"Forgive me, for my delay. I had some errands to finish, something I needed to do for the venture. But, for now, let's keep our minds on this. I'll talk business tomorrow."
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

Geoffrey, not being much for trickery, saw Matiel's plan as it was unfolding and gave a bold grin but averted his eyes from Mikail so as to not give away the game. "Where do you think Sando and Matiel are, Haikan?" He asked while attempting to supress the smile.
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

"Well, Sando is a pretty hard worker. I'm sure he's only late because he's finishing up some important side-project for this caravan. I can never convince him to settle down and relax..." He put his finger to his chin, to think about where Matiel might be. The noise in the bar kept his sharp adhiel ears from detecting the boy's whispering to Matiel. However, the captain's curiosity led him to look around him and he saw Matiel standing next to him rather blatantly.

"Welcome, Matiel. Are you ready for our adventure tomorrow morning?" He asked with a wink. "Just kidding, you should be relaxing right now, although keep in the back of your mind that we do have to be off bright and early, so don't drink yourself into a stupor and end up with a hangover! Make sure to drink lots of fluids if you waste yourself tonight." The adhiel didn't mean to sound so parenting in his advice, but as he thought about it he realized what a buzzkill something like that could be.

"Forget I said anything. Here," He raised his mug of ale, and took one more tiny sip. That's enough toasting, I really shouldn't have any more than this. "We should all drink, eat and be joyful, for tomorrow, we fly!"
Mikail
Civus

Post by Mikail »

Mikail jumped when Matiel spoke in his ear, but shook off the shock when Haikan started talking to him. I wonder if I should tell them what happened today in the Avenue of Trade? No... That would be stupid, there's no reason to bring stress to anyone, this is a happy night. I wonder if Diana will show up... I sort of hope so. After Haikan finished his toast, he broke the silence. "Still doesn't answer the question of where our vertically challenged friend is."
Last edited by Mikail on Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:36 am, edited 3 times in total.
Matiel Escariot
Civus

Matiel was not one for gatherings such as these, neither was he for jokes such as those from Mikail. He winced a bit when he said vertically challenged. He sipped some from his cup of tea and raised a hand to call for some cream and honey to hide the reaction, thankful that the Laughing King's actually had those.

"I'm sure he's around."

Matiel then turned his attention back to Haikan and his lieutenant.

"Oh, and those two men I asked for, I'm sorry if this is business, but I would like to know if you're allowing me the security because I would like to meet them personally."
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

"What type of security are we talking about? Would they be under my order in battle, or would they be closer to the goods than that?" The captain asked, he looked at Geoffrey with an eyebrow raised, having heard very little about these two guards of Matiel's.

"I don't have a problem with it, but I would like to meet with them before we take them along, I'm sure you understand. Are they coming tonight?" He gave Matiel the business look he was beginning to know so well. Sando should be arriving soon, and Haikan did hope to see him soon.

"Speaking of folks who aren't here, do you know where Anistis is? I invited him to come here, but it doesn't seem he's arrived just yet." He gave the Tavern a once-over to see if he was there, but he was willing to wait another half-mark before he left.

"I hope he decides to come along with us."
Matiel Escariot
Civus

"They will be under your order of battle, but, until we do meet battle, I would feel more at ease if I have at least two men, no make that no more or less than two, at hand. I want these two men near the vicinity of the goods at all times where in there is no combat, and if combat is met, their orders revert back to their commanding officers from which you've assigned them too. And no, I don't have any men, I was waiting for you to assign them to me. But, I do have a welcome addition to our little group, if Mikail will allow me a favor of course."

Matiel continued to sip his tea and moved on, "And also, before I forget, if we do meet battle. Who am I reporting to? I assume that I'll content myself with ranged duty, close at hand to the goods."

With that, he then moved on next to Mikail, "I've recently taken into employment a nimble young girl experienced in tavern service and pantry duty. You mind if I lent her to you? I need her to do something while Mathias and I concentrate on paper work and such."

"Beyond that, if you're looking for Anistis, now might not be the right time. I knew he was familiar when we met together here when we all started this project. It seems me and him and had committed ourselves to a little scavenger hunt. I don't want to divulge anything right now, but suffice it to say that wha tI'll get for my services are steep enough to my liking."
Mikail
Civus

Post by Mikail »

Mikail gave Matiel a dirty look after he mentioned a favor, still upset about the little prank. Once he mentioned the girl, his ears flicked and his eyes opened up, but they returned to normal soon after. It couldn't be her, she already closed the deal... He brushed his jacket to make sure the vial containing the letter was still there, though he knew that there was no reason for it not to be. "I have nothing against having an assistant, it might actually make my job easier." Had Matiel asked yesterday, before he'd met Diana, he would have without hesitation said no, but he'd somehow been opened up by the events of the afternoon. He said all this without making eye contact with Matiel, intentionally staring at wall in front of him to send the message that he was feeling impatient now.

He spend the next few burns thinking of ways to get back at Matiel. He chuckled a few times, and ordered a cup of tea, but other than that he was relatively quiet, listening to the table discuss things with indifference. All decisions have been made, this business talk is just for show. No reason for me to speak up again unless I'm directly addressed.
Last edited by Mikail on Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:39 am, edited 4 times in total.
Belief without doubt is blindness. Open your eyes; [i]answer the questions, but do not be afraid to question the answers[/i]
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

"Well, I'll have to see, I have an intricate order of duty for my soldiers. I suppose I could have two of the on-calls stay near the goods at all times, although I was already planning on doing so." He looked around, and he pulled a rolled up piece of parchment with a sloppy flowchart and writing at the bottom. "I have a few copies of this, so you can go ahead and keep this, Matiel." He handed it over, and it read as follows:

Two Squads:

1. DAY SQUAD: Has three divisions

A. Sword

i. one lieutenant

ii. four privates

a. three privates are on call

b. one private is a scout

B. Pole Arm

i. one lieutenant

ii. four privates

C. Crossbow

i. one lieutenant

ii. four privates

2. NIGHT SQUAD: Has three divisions

A. Sword

i. one lieutenant

ii. four privates

B. Pole Arm

i. one lieutenant

ii. four privates

a. three privates on call

C. Crossbow:

i. one lieutenant

ii. four privates

THIS MEANS: There are six Lieutenants, one for each division of each squad.

Three Day Lieutenants, and Three Night Lieutenants.

There are ten soldiers who specialize in swordry, ten who specialize in pole arms, and ten who specialize in ranged shooting.

The squads are designated to be active during the day and the night respectively.

The on call privates however are to be rested and ready during their shifts.

There are twenty four privates who rotate the duty of scout. At any given time there are three active privates serving as scouts. More information on scouts is available from Captain Gray.

"The lieutenants as you know are relayers of my commands. In times of emergency they will fight alongside their respective divisions, and each division will follow orders from me through their lieutenant. Geoffrey here is one of the first lieutenants." And he pointed his thumb casually over to Geoffrey.

"The privates are skilled soldiers who were selected for being skilled with their area of battle, obedient and effecient. At all times there will be 21 privates on call, and 3 scouting. The scouts of the uncurrent squad will be resting with the on call privates.This means of course that night scouts rest during the day, and vice versa."

"The job of scout is rotated each day, and there is one scout from each division active at all times. I shall be there to assist with scouting, as well as the lieutenants, but the private scouts scope the areas farthest from the caravan, since myself and the lieutenants need to be near it and ready to defend at all times."

"There are four brass horns that have been bought in the name of the company. Each scout carries one, as well as myself, and if the scouts can not return to the caravan unsighted in times of danger or coming attack, the horns are to be used as a call to arms. Mikail will be taking my place as scout during the night time, and he'll also be taking my horn." The captain put his finger to his chin to think which lieutenant Matiel should answer to in battle.

"I suppose Leonard Bolotin is the man you would want to answer to in combat. He is a scholarly type, like yourself, and I think you'd like him. He is the night squad captain of the crossbow division."
Last edited by Haikan on Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mikail
Civus

Post by Mikail »

"There are four brass horns that have been bought in the name of the company. Each scout carries one, as well as myself, and if the scouts can not return to the caravan unsighted in times of danger or coming attack, the horns are to be used as a call to arms. Mikail will be taking my place as scout during the night time, and he'll also be taking my horn."

Mikail clenched his eyes. How did a big detail like THAT elude me? Just as well, cooking and reading all day last time was rather boring. This also means I don't have to extensively interact with the brutish soldiers that hate my cooking. Since things are less active during the night, that also means that I'll have more time to perfect my strength potion, I have a big problem with fatigue side effects. It also evaporates too fast and the smoke makes it almost impossible to breathe or see. He put his elbow on the table and rested his head on his hand. "No objections so far."

He glanced at the paper. I wonder if I'm the only person in the company that wields a bow? I suppose it's for the best. I like working alone and though a bow is less powerful, faster drawing means faster shooting, and faster shooting means better chances of survival when you're alone.
Belief without doubt is blindness. Open your eyes; [i]answer the questions, but do not be afraid to question the answers[/i]
Matiel Escariot
Civus

"All is well then," Matiel smiled and kept his copy of the paper, "To be frank, I was surprised that you actually accounted all this to paper. I was right to start this with you. Now, beyond that, are those two men going to be rotated or stationary? If they are stationary I'd like to meet them."

"Also, I'd like to meet this Leonard, is he here? I might as well show myself to my commander if he is going to lead me."
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

"Right, well since you just sprung the idea on me now, I haven't decided yet whether or not they should be stationary or rotated. I imagine they'd be rotated, for fairness sake." The captain looked around him, to see if Leonard was present. "I'm sure he's here... He usually sits with his division, they seem pretty close knit. Then again all the groups have been getting along rather well ever since they've worked together this afternoon." He smiled happily. The team was becoming a well-oiled machine and that made him happy, but that was beside the point. Where's Leo?

"Of course, Leonard will be relaying my tactical orders, so you'll indirectly be following my battle-plans. He'll have some freedom of improvisation if we get seperated though, unlikely as that chance may be. I should at some point write down that in the event of seperation from the rest of the group, a division's lieutenant has full command until reunison with the group..." He beamed at Matiel's compliment regarding his scribing the order of duty.

"Well I suppose your scholarly attitude is contagious, my friend."
Matiel Escariot
Civus

"Ah, true, it seems ink is as good as blood should it be spilt. You shouldn't be surprised though," Matiel gave him Haikan his compliments because he knew the elf deserved it. Yes, he was an elf, but dislike is not hate, same why disinterest is not uninterest. Matiel could respect a person as that...he was about to think of the word MAN but found it too limiting for a following such as theirs. Him the human, they the elves, a priest of a feared god, and a halfling. Now, this was a question of wondrous import to him. A term, a word, that encompasses all that live and breathe in Tazlure without dividing them into Man, Woman, Child, Elf, Dwarf, or other.

"Is it not that you had thought to be a bard before we met? The bone for words has always been there with you. I just gave you another way on how to use words."

Matiel took his cup to his lips once more and found it empty. He sighed his displeasure and motioned for the barkeeper for more. He also took the time to see whether Mathias was here or not. He'd need him to get used to the idea of a servant.

"Ah, I apologize. In truth, I am not much for gatherings such as this. I am more of the kind that loiter a bit in the crowds, alone, but among many. Not really the kind that actively become a part of an event itself. Because of this, I'm feeling a bit dry on what I could offer up for conversation. Unless of course, anyone of you here fancy talking about books and other ivory towered bull shitings."
Mikail
Civus

Post by Mikail »

Mikail's eyes started to wander, and the words of his companions were fading in and out of his attention. He couldn't really imagine Haikan being a bard, since he'd left that passion at the doorstep of this operation, but he could imagine his charisma amounting to such a career. When Matiel forfeited the topic though, Mikail jolted to attention.

"Ah, I apologize. In truth, I am not much for gatherings such as this. I am more of the kind that loiter a bit in the crowds, alone, but among many. Not really the kind that actively become a part of an event itself. Because of this, I'm feeling a bit dry on what I could offer up for conversation. Unless of course, anyone of you here fancy talking about books and other ivory towered bull shitings."

This is my chance to talk about something I give a shit about. "Well... I have something I might like to bring up, to get to know my comrades better." He pulled out a paper he'd jotted some notes down on. "I've been reading this book I found about different cultures, and the way they're run. I haven't gotten that far because some of the language is a bit lofty for me, but I have pulled together some neat ideas. If I expand my written vocabulary a tad, I'd like to finish it." He looked at the words that lie in front of him.

Relative...
Good and evil can't be determined by one, only by many...
Alliance occurs only to common enemy, not common love.

He put his note-sheet back in his pocket and turned to Matiel, the one he thought would be most interested. "What do you think about good and evil? Do you think that there is a true good, or is it just agreed upon? Is justice only what people make of it? I like to think that I can determine what is evil through objective analysis, but sometimes I wonder... What do you think about that?"
Matiel Escariot
Civus

"First off, this is a question you shouldn't ask someone else, but yourself in the mirror."

Matiel turned all his attention now on Mikail and tried his best to explain something that meant more than the amount of shit that was being said about it.

"Both contradict each other, but the point of it is that you have to choose a side. There is only black and white, and the gray area is a lie of those who wished life was easier. So it is here. Know all the sides, choose one which you believe in with all your heart, and with all your heart, and everything else should follow. The thing that should be known next is this...be it good or bad, black or white, it is those that are inconsistent, treacherous, and such, that are evil, and those that stick to what they say and do, that are virtuous."

"There is an objective and material reality upon which material justice has been constructed for by those who live to live by. That is not a separation of good and evil, but cold hearted truth given the eyes of steel."

"Absolute Truth. Separation of Material and Objective Law from Moral Law. And then, Virtue through Absolute Honesty and Integrity. The rest is bullshit."

Return to “KC Archive”