Terra West Trading Co - Chapter 2 - Jyg 31st TT-ET

Moderators: Maeve, Mods

Ashari
Moderator & Coordinator Mer Cities

Terra West Trading Co - Chapter 2 - Jyg 31st TT-ET

Post by Ashari »

SUMMARY

After leaving the city itself, the group was fallen prey to the mundane world of travel. For some, this was the first time they'd traversed the Downs, and it meant an exciting opportunity to actually see the long flat grasslands that surrounded King's Court, for others, it was staring out across a large landscape they'd seen before. This didn't prove to be entirely too exciting, but the scouts pressed on ahead as they'd been instructed, and kept a careful eye to the looming horizon for any signs of danger. Thus, the flickers slipped to burns, and melted into marks.

In The Downs the most dominating feature was the sound of the grasses as they rubbed against one another. When the wind picked up it was as if they'd come across a sudden waterfall that whooshed and races with all manner of authority, and this caught some of the travelers off guard at first, until even those sounds faded into the background much like the noises of the horses or the creaking of the wooden carts. The road itself was a smooth one - well packed and easy for both the horses and the carts. Most of the occupants slept for the majority of tradetide, Melissa only waking briefly for the passing out of hard bread rations and cups of water. Real food would have to wait for when they could make camp, and everyone knew that. Once more, they settled into comfortable positions and waited for the dullness to take them over.

The first cart saw the most action and conversation for this portion of the trip. Anna and Mathias were rather occupied with the work that Matiel had set for them, and the young woman was, albeit slowly, learning from her new mentor. They were currently covering the alphabet, which Anna didn't know but was eager to learn if only to prove to Mathias that she didn't have a smaller brain than him. Subtle bumps in the road gave her no end of frustration as she traced the letters that Mathias provided. Mathias was a generous teacher, all things considered, and would invite anyone interested in the lesson.

Fangwyrd, finding himself a comfortable position curled up next to Haikan, had stirred little since they left the city and only twitched occasionally when a particularly good segment of dream caught his attention. He also made a small noise which could only be properly described as purring, but this, again, was only infrequently while he napped.

Outside, the flat land of the Downs gave way to slowly building hills, the first sign that they were moving toward the region of Brie which was rather renowned for it's rolling hills that backed up to the Howling Ice Mountains, which were generally visible but obscured in a bank of low clouds on this day so that only the lower portion showed. Only the barest hinting of the sharp outcroppings that made up the majority of the enormous mountains separating the lush west from the arid deserts of the east could be seen, but the shadow was enough to suggest it's size, and the Mountains only seemed to get bigger as they approached.

In their cart, Calron's men stood every so often, one of them jumping out of the cart to stretch his legs by running along side it, while his fellows would help him up when he tired. In this way, the three of them stayed entertained as well as active and alert to their surroundings.

Eveningtide approached and succumbed them, but still they traveled, for there was much light. It wouldn't be until dusk threatened darkness that they would stop, and so they continued on their

OOC: Alright everyone, this is the first of several summary threads we'll be using to help pass the time more quickly. Everyone is welcome to participate by adding what their character did during the travel period. Be descriptive! You may receive skill advancements for it if it's well written and makes sense. I will post responses to the summaries as necessary, but you should also assume partial success to keep the flow. More information can be found in the Summary Post Wiki Page. If anyone has questions, feel free to PM me.
[color=#000000][i]"What of the soul was left, I wonder, when the kissing had to stop?"[/i]
-- Robert Browning. [/color][size=75][i]Avatar by: [url=http://vyrl.deviantart.com/]vyrl[/url][/i][/size]
Anistis
The Tender

Post by Anistis »

Anistis had seen the Downs before, but that was as far as he’d ever ventured from King’s Court proper. More well-travelled people would likely find it tragic that, beyond what he’d read or seen paintings of, the Downs were the most vivid conception of “nature” that he had. While he’d been here before, the lad didn’t get beyond the walls of the city very often and was quite taken by the waves the wind made in the grass; the sea of green, brown, and amber held him in its thrall intermittently throughout the remainder of the caravan’s trip through the Downs.

He couldn’t help but be talkative, excited as he was. Anistis struck up a number of conversations, varying in subject matter from friendly banter about what each person in the wagon was most excited about in the upcoming trip, to questions about their first destination, Brie, where he’d never been, to awed inquiries about the mysterious, shrouded monoliths that he could eventually spy in the distance. While Anistis was genuinely interested in all of the topics he chose and would gladly engage in discourse initiated by anyone else present, there was an underlying goal of keeping spirits high; he was realizing rather quickly that long periods of travel could become a kind of drudgery, at least for some, and he thought it good to maintain a level of excitement. He also took special care to speak with all of the newcomers in an attempt to make them feel as welcome as possible.

The lesson going on between Anna and Mathias intrigued Anistis as well and, trying to be as unobtrusive as possible, he endeavored to give Mathias a hand in Anna’s instruction, elucidating his points if the girl became confused and explaining different sounds the letters could make, using simple three or four-letter words as illustrations, written on parchment in the flowing, albeit far from perfect script that he was learning to use for the copying of texts. There wasn’t a hint of condescension in Ani’s contributions to the lesson (if anything, he was overly apologetic when he frequently felt he hadn’t made himself clear); he thought Anna was quite bright, and he well understood that a lack of literacy or any kind of knowledge was almost always the fault of circumstance and not intellect. The idea that many would attribute the educational weakness to her gender did occur to him, and for a fleeting moment, he was reminded of Tyrone’s horror at hearing of Debrona’s importance as the Keeper the previous eveningtide. The memory brought on an a momentary chill that, for a flicker, made him feel as if he were lying naked on the peak of one of those distant mountains.

Despite the acolyte’s efforts to keep things lively, it was likely that lulls were inevitable. He took these dull periods as an opportunity to practice shutting out both his exterior and interior distractions, attempting to quiet the roiling sea of stray thoughts that was his mind. He needed to learn to focus on one thing- namely the One God Himself. To this end, he closed his eyes, kept his breathing regulated and silently repeated to himself the simple affirmation from the Book Suscitus, “All are within the sight of The One- and none can exist outside it”, over and over again in his mind. He’d tried this technique a number of times before, with varying degrees of success, but was confident that, if nothing else, it would help him catch a good, restful nap.

OOC: Discounting my post for the last recess, which was very cursory in the interest of getting myself back up to speed, this is my first summary post. So, if there's anything amiss, Ash, just PM me and I'll fix it right away.
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

Normally during a travel such as this, the adventurer would be riding in the back cart, strumming his lute and singing of the joys of travel. This time however, he was actually under a great obligation. Over the season, his immature free-spiritedness had taken the backseat to his obligations to the group- a gradual shift that he didn't quite notice himself. Sando was the only one who actively noticed the change, and since he maintained his general happiness and love for the world, it wasn't necessarily such a bad thing.

While the elf was upset that Sando hadn't joined up with him yet, he was sure there was a reason for his choice. The thought that something bad could have happened to the halfling hadn't even entered his mind. Had he known that they were working with Cedric, he would be quite concerned, but such was not the case, and as far as he knew, there was nothing shady or illicit about the operation, and furthermore there was nothing to be worried about, aside from being late.

The captain simply joined in conversation for a while, patting Fangwyrd gently as he slept. He asked Mikail about Melissa's medicine, and after a short while, he broke away from conversation and pulled out his notes, scribbling down a few more possible strategies and plans in the case of different sorts of emergencies or scenarios. Attack and defense plans, the possibility of circling the wagons in short time, where each squad should go, etc. He had made a couple notes about this when studying with Sebastian, but since that time, now was his first opportunity to really think long and hard about it, and edit things that he now found to be foolish or ineffective. Eventually, the first shift of the scouts was ended, and the adhiel decided that that was his time to kick into action. If Fangwyrd was still asleep, Haik was quite careful not to disturb him as he went to his duty.

The young captain made himself quite busy the entire time, performing rounds on his horse, checking in on carts and debriefing the scouts during every shift switch. Also, he made sure that every scout knew how to use the metal warning horn they all received at the beginning of their respective shifts. He was careful not to let anyone work harder than he did, as his responsibility was to keep everything running smoothly, be wary of danger, and answer questions that any passengers might have. When mealtime came around, he helped with the distribution of the bread, and he checked in on the passengers to make sure that everyone was doing well. If Mikail had any medicine that could help Melissa's condition, he would see to it that she received it, and he also did his best to make sure the rest of the passengers, including Talis and Brogan, were comfortable.

At the last shift-switch of the scouts, he began to grow a bit tired of riding his horse, and he was hungry as well. He returned to the cart as the day was fading, and he relaxed next to Fangwyrd once more. Purposely, he engaged in conversation so that he could prevent himself from growing drowsy. The lull of the travel was dangerous for that, but he had quite the regular sleep schedule up until now, so that premature sleepiness that he feared didn't seem to come. His body was somewhat tired, but his mind was still awake and alert. Anistis' cheerful attitude complimented Haikan's quite well, and he found that the two of them were quite capable of happy, high-spirited conversation. This trip was underway and running smooth... Haikan was sure they were ready for anything.
Mikail
Civus

Post by Mikail »

Mikail didn't do much. He tied the poison cloths on the bolts, and almost cut himself. He then put them face-down in the barrel to protect them from wind, separated by crafting differences that Anistis had sorted out. He didn't talk to Talis or Brogan; he intended to let that wait til nightfall. He offered a few things to Haikan for the girl, including a mild painkiller and a leaf to chew on to clear her breathing.

The lunchtime meal was basic and didn't actually involve any cooking. Haikan actually took care of the distribution for him for the most part, which was nice. I just hope he doesn't work too hard, he's going to run out of energy one of these days... He admired Haikan's diligent spirit.

Since he'd gotten better at writing, Mikail began taking notes in a journal. He also started eavesdropping a little bit, but only conversations he bore witness to without going out of his way. Mostly he tried to summarize Anistis's views on religion and see how they could be congruent to his own. Mikail didn't have a favored deity, but he saw morality in a very similar light to Ani. He also watched Anna a little bit to make sure she was doing well. He started chronicling his thoughts on all of his caravan comrades, and whether or not they could agree with his cause.

For the rest of the time he read, hoping to find something else interesting in his book of fantastical mental magic mumbo jumbo. He read something about belligerence that further pressed on his suspicions of Talis's intentions. He began to wonder though if she was just stupid and didn't realize how sacred the capital is to the Oneists. He was confident he'd get his answer later. For now he wanted to read more about reading people. It's hard to learn that kind of thing from pages, because the imagery can only be so specific. If only there was some sort of moving painting that could give examples...
Last edited by Mikail on Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Belief without doubt is blindness. Open your eyes; [i]answer the questions, but do not be afraid to question the answers[/i]
Azure Stonehand
Civus

Post by Azure Stonehand »

Azure listened to the lesson intently. How she hungered for reading knowledge. Scribes fascinated her, words intrigued her, making sense of it all was as though a puzzle waited to be solved. She tried to not seem over eager or disruptive of the lessons if she could receive lessons along with Anna, she would welcome them with furvor. Reading, and learning about reading, gave her mind its craving.

When she wasn't paying attention, she excitedly spoke to Anistis about any subject they could think of. Azure was excited about the trip out of Kings Court. She had never been beyond the city walls. Her heart beat fast, the longing for adventure settling in. She couldn't wait for something to happen. Anything. She was ready.

Eagerly, Azure struck up conversation to break the ice between her and some of the unknown members in the cart. She talked about fighting and sparring, her father's stone cutting business and how she helped him. She listened to their stories and commented on them, learning more if she could about the new people surrounding her. She was very happy to be there, even though the cart was causing her to cramp uncomfortably. Azure felt this was the trip of a lifetime, something she had waited for since she left her father's house...adventure.
Last edited by Azure Stonehand on Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Azure Stonehand
AKA Meisha
Matiel Escariot
Civus
Location: In a place surrounded by farms I my family does not own.

Post by Matiel Escariot »

There was no thrill in passing the walls. There was no breath of fresh air to greet him as he had dreamed this day to bring. There was no ceremony within him, no uproar, no feeling of having reached a pinnacle; only empty thoughts.

Most of those thoughts were on the piece of paper he left his family along with a good deal of his past possessions; "Mother, Father," he had written, "I am no one's child. Do not try to find me. I carry no one's name but my own. Do not ask me brother's to find me. Leave my sisters' weeping if they care to miss me forI will not miss any of you. I promise you though, I might return. Maybe never. I may die. I may be lost. I my forget my name, may face, and live a new life out of the emptiness. That doesn't matter. What matters is, I belong to me now. Don't try to reclaim me. I will deal with any of you harshly if you try."

It was a letter he had written three years ago. It was a letter he never allowed anyone to see and himself forget. It was a simple reminder for him of the things he promised the man in the mirror. He didn't smile as he thought on that., unsure if he ever was supposed to feel remorse, melancholy, or anything at all. It was a thing he did and willed to do for the longest time. Maybe it was regret that made slight tugs on his heart. He wasn't sure though. Maybe it was just the road. His eyes forgot to cry. His soul was nowhere in sight.

"Let the love tear us apart, I've found a cure for a broken heart," he began to sing to himself as he dropped his back on the wagon's roof to see the sky and feel the road, "Love tears us apart."

"Love tears apart."

He didn't know where he heard that tune. It just felt fitting for the mood that loomed over his mind, the brightness of the day, and the irony of things inside him screaming to be written. That was when he smiled as the day granted his eyes a slighter glint.

Write? How was he to write the greatest romance of Love and Chivalry on top of an unruly wagon?

He chukled at the thought, romance, "Love tears apart."

Maybe he'll write in his head, no, his memory was nowhere near eidetic yet. But maybe he could try that. He could imagine more than a billion voices simultaneously screaming, jeering, singing, and coupling inside his head. Think, think, not think, sleep, think, eat, and stare into the flying blue's inversely abysmal eyes and search for an answer among the clouds. Maybe then he'd have enough metaphors to slap a book together.

"So let the love tear us apart," No, he shot up to his crossed legs and pushed himself to the wagon's edge and let a foot dangle at the side. Today he would write. A stick of graphite and paper were all he needed. He would write today, with every letter attuned to the bumpy song of the road.

"I've found a cure for a broken heart."
Brogan Gharnost
Civus

Post by Brogan Gharnost »

Brogan walked.

Not because he did not appreciate the offer for a ride, but because they had tarried long enough at the gates, and clearing room enough for his not-so-slight frame, may have taken even yet longer. Encouraging Talis to ride in the first wagon, Brogan found peace in following alongside the caravan. Keeping pace wasn't so hard, and he had just followed this very road coming into Kings Court; the gently rolling hills of the downs were familiar to him. The vast open spaces were comfortable, reminiscent of the desolated emptiness of the deserts he had known for so long. The seemingly endless sky conjured images of the divine Way, the infinite and all-encompassing reality of the world, the Truth.

However, traveling with a group of this nature, Brogan soon came to discover several things: firstly, that there were no stops for a midday meal; secondly that military folk seemed to comprise much of the company in this wagon train, making Brogan question the martial intents of such a clan; and lastly that the group appeared to be as diverse a collection of personalities and interests as could reasonably be expected.

Haikan distributed the sparse midday meal of these strange looking foods that these humans insisted on calling "bread." While he had heard of such a substance when he was younger in his rare forays into settled places of "civilised" habitation, he had no idea that the taste of the crunchy and chewy substance would have such a filling effect. And it tasted delicious! He had had his fair share of sweet vegetations, knowing when and where to look for the few edible plants in the desert near small oases. But bread! Oh! Brogan shuddered in thorough enjoyment and pleasure at the food. Not a watery leaf, and much much more than any mixed vegetable concoction I could create, I simply must learn the secret of this divine food of the gods! It had been given to him for just over a month now by these humans, but the half-giant was infatuated with the stuff.

Brogan reached into a small pouch by his waist and spilled the contents out into his massive hand, offering the collection of coins to Haikan, not knowing how much coinage the passage would require. Silently watching the adhiel, the curious giant watched the interactions of the people on their horses and the one called "captain." Listening in as well as he could, he listened, not only to the scouts, but to the goings on in the first cart.

Walking and eating, Brogan wearied by early to mid tradetide, and looked for a place to sit. Not wanting to interfere with the dealings of people quite yet, he found the cart with the firewood, and managed to make himself somewhat comfortable. Except for that one log that dug into his leg. And that one that poked rather viciously into his rear. And actually, he found the whole situation rather uncomfortable.

Brogan made it into a challenge for himself, closed his eyes and shut out the pain. It was hard, especially the since there were so many points of discomfort. But eventually, Brogan managed to silence his body's complaints and clear his mind of physical distress, and although the occasional bump jostled his concentration, his resolve was strengthened all the more. Weariness overtook his massive form, and Brogan fell asleep atop a pile of wood, a mistake he would surely regret later.
Last edited by Brogan Gharnost on Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Truth that can be known is not Truth.
Talis Fefelli
Civus

Post by Talis Fefelli »

Talis found an empty corner in one of the carts. She felt terrible that Brogan was walking, but she could not muster the energy to walk for so long. Brogan was big and had a larger stride. He was also very used to it. Talis however, has never walked for so long and she didn't intend to start now.

She made it known to Haikan that anything he needed done and she could do, she would in order to earn her keep.

Talis didn't mind the lack of stops or the small midday meal. She was quite comfortable in a corner with her pack. She sat silently dozing in and out of sleep. It got difficult at times because the weather was thick and warm, but after a while, she was able to ignore it and actually fall into a state of rest.

Anistis is an interesting fellow. Perhaps he can help with our endeavor. I will try to get closer to him.

Talis couldn't help but be a bit excited. She was traveling the world avoiding marriage and she had a purpose beyond cleaning and cooking. With a simple smile to herself, she nestled into her pack and closed her eyes.

[/i]
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

SKILLS:
Anistis
Literacy: +*
Conversation: +*
Meditation: +*

Haikan
Tactics: +*
Conversation: +**

Mikail
Literacy: +***

Azure
Conversation: +**

Matiel
Creating Stories: +**

Brogan
NEW SKILL! Resolve: basic

Talis
NEW SKILL! Inner Calm: basic
[color=#000000][i]"What of the soul was left, I wonder, when the kissing had to stop?"[/i]
-- Robert Browning. [/color][size=75][i]Avatar by: [url=http://vyrl.deviantart.com/]vyrl[/url][/i][/size]

Return to “KC Archive”