Heeding the Call - CH 25th - Late TT

Moderator: Mods

Motley
Fool

Post by Motley »

As he waited, he pondered further his next actions. There was so much to think about. He had not seen Ceadric in a while. Perhaps it was time to call upon his half brother and see how things were and how they were coping.

There was still the ongoing issue with finding his father. At one time it seemed he was making great strides in that area, but he had hit a wall with his research, and now it seemed there had been little or no progress. That question too probably still lied with the Schattendrachens. The Count had been livid and tossed the ugly little man out of his home, but the truth of just who had slept with his mother still remained like elusive quicksilver.

He lit his pipe and tried for the thousandth time to blow a smoke ring. The breeze from the Mer broke it and carried it away long before it ever even had a chance to form. He glanced over at Fullys and Angomar and chuckled. It seemed that Angomar was getting under the nun's skin.

Good, she will need some good news to settle her nerves...

His mismatched eyes traveled back out to the waters of the Mer.

Where are you spirit? The Phoenix smolders in his tower. Gerben languishes in isolation. And Angelica, poor Angelica is left to carry on without anyone but me. But where are you? What price have you paid? What cost have you borne?

Angelica was wise to seek you out. I will need to seek her out and speak with her. Perhaps she found you... Perhaps she spoke with you...

An involuntary shudder ran down his crooked spine.

Can your will extinguish the fires of the Phoenix..?

When at last Sister Fullys was done with Angomar, he made his way over to the nun and silently sidled in step with her. He allowed her whatever silence she needed without any prodding or poking from him. He was content to walk all the way back to the Monastery in silence if that was what she wished.
[b]Putting the "Imp" in impassible since 2004[/b]

[url=https://tazlure.nl/board/viewforum.php?f=428][b]Motley's Compendium[/b][/url]
Syra
The Chocolate Game Designer

Post by Syra »

It did indeed look as if the nun was making short work of whatever Angomar was trying to tell her. Her gestures made it plenty clear that their conversation was over, yet as Motley walked up to her, Angomar was running behind her from the other side. "But, but sister Fullys! You cannot go back yet, I need uh...I need....we need a little more help!"

Sister Fullys kept up her big strides, bringing her within earshot of Motley swiftly. "Dear Angomar, you can cope with a nest of ducklings yourself. You can deal with a dying tree yourself. I dare say you can even manage that stubborn piglet. I honestly do not see what you would need the help of the One with. If you do not show yourself capable of handling your life, what good do you think His touch will do? Honestly, if I didn't know any better, I'd think you were keeping me busy on purpose!"

Angomar stopped dead in his tracks, blinking his eyes.

The well-formed sister turned, suspicious by the sudden silence. "Are you?"

Angomar looked from Motley to the sister. "I uh..."

"Motley, what exactly did you need me for back at the monestary?" Fullys demanded to know, not waiting for the other man's stuttered response.
[size=75]Chocolate is not an addiction, it is a way of life.

[/size]
Motley
Fool

Post by Motley »

...Dying trees?... ...Ducklings? ...

Keeping her busy and distracted. Distracted from what? From being at the monastery...

A certain dread crept up Motley's crooked spine.

What a great and terrible fool I've been...again! They want Fullys away from the monastery. I thwarted them with Angelica once, but now they have come for her in earnest! I've just made it even easier for them!

"She's been adopted Sister." Motley blurted out. Grasping at the one thing he thought might tear this woman away without hesitation from the stalling clutches of Angomar.

"She wants to speak to you right away so she can say goodbye!"

Motley began reaching slowly into his bag for his knife. Angomar would not want her to leave, and might put up a struggle.

[url=https://tazlure.nl/board/viewforum.php?f=428][b]Motley's Compendium[/b][/url]
Syra

Post by Syra »

ooc
Apologies, appearantly my post never got through!

ic
"Adopted?" If her eyebrows rose any further, they'd be flying off like little angels. "Right away?" The full sister looked from Angomar to Motley. The former suddenly turned a deep crimson, looking bewildered rather than dangerous.

"I...uh.." The man looked around panicky.

"Angomar, I will speak with you later!" The sister commanded imperiously and immediately made her way towards Motley. Something in his voice told her that there was more going on than something that should have been good news, not something to be blurted out like an emergency.

With her considerable weight Fullys managed to make a fair speed to follow Motley -or even preceed him- towards the monestary.

Not surprisingly they made good time and found themselves back in the building...without appearant hinderances, which in itself might be a little more surprising.

"Now...." The heavy panting betrayed the sister might have outdone herself. "Could...pffff...you....oh goodness me....why the hurry, why the emergency! Whoof..."

[/size]
Motley
Fool

Post by Motley »

When she began her way back towards the monastery, Motley's twisted little form and bandy legs had a hard time keeping up with her.

We must be quite an amusing pair! The portly, red-faced nun, and the twisted little gargoyle trying to follow at her heels! I imagine there's a song to be sung here somewhere. Someday when I catch my breath again, and these stars stop swimming around in my vision, I might be able to think up a few lines...

There was little air in his lungs, but his brain continued to work.

They pulled her away, but I got her back. Now we just need to find...

"Sister Fullys!" He shouted, thinking she was about to collapse. He held his arms to try and steady her, and himself.

"Angel... Angelica... was adopted... I ... I thought you would want... to know..."

He panted heavily, trying to both talk and get his wind at the same time.

"I didn't think...we would have to run... all the way back..."

He took a few deep breaths, expecting Angelica and the Abbot to appear at any time.

Syra

Post by Syra »

"Well...phooh...." The sister objected. "How was I supposed to figure ...out...how urgent it was? It did not sound like a free day's picknick, to be honest! Oooooh my word, last time I had to run like this I was still half of what I am today!"

She sagged down on one of the stone benches, waving some cool air to herself with a hand. "So what was this nonsense about keeping me away from here!"

"Sister!" A frantic voice came. One of the novices came running around the corner, holding her robes in a most unelegant manner. "Sister! They tried to abduct Angelica! She was outside in the gardens when we heard her scream!"

Fullys turned to Motley, looking pale. "No need to run?" Her grim response came. "I'd say your urgency was on the spot, sir."

Before the big woman got a chance to get up, the novice calmed her with a soothing motion of her hands. "Have no fear, she's alright. But we don't know why they came for her. Angelica refuses to speak to anyone."

Fullys sighed. "I guess we will get the specifics later..." It was not a question at all. "And we'll see if she still refuses to speak to us then."

The novice brought them to the gardens were Angelican was sitting on the grass, legs and arms folded, lips pursed while the abbot was trying to talk to her.

[/size]
Motley
Fool

Post by Motley »

He stood panting for a few moments, trying to gather enough wind and breath to answer her. He was about to answer her about urgency when the novice came screaming around the corner.

Abduct her? Again, or ....?

Angomar.

His suspicions had been right. The fisherman or whatever he was had tried to keep Fullys away. After his confrontation with the city officials earlier, he figured there would be repercussions, but he had no idea they would try again so soon.

He approached Angelica, standing near the girl, allowing her to reach for him if she wished.

"Angelica, I've brought Sister Fullys." He announced to her quietly. He didn't ask what happened, he didn't have to.

Then the words starting coming out, like a brand new wellspring, words that flowed like water over rocks in a stream's bed. His voice was low and sad, while at the same time full of a certain resolution and cold fury.

"City officials came for her earlier today. They had chosen her for the Parrot Parade. But I interfered and stopped them. They warned me I didn't know how the city was truly being run, and they were right. I thought the council was being run by reasonable people with logic and sanity. Now they've proven themselves to be a pack of greedy, power hungry dogs."

He stood, defiant and angry, awash in his own determination.

"They can't have her. I'm her family now. I'll hide her. I'll grow and learn and do whatever it takes to stop them. She can't leave the city, but I can. I'll hide her away and when I return, they will have to answer to me."

He didn't care if he was making sense to Fullys, or anyone else. Angelica would know, and that was all he cared about.
Last edited by Motley on Tue May 27, 2008 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Syra

Post by Syra »

Angelica moved without watching. As soon as Motley stood next to her, her arms folded around him, her breathing coming fast. Once sister Fullys was close enough, the girl acknowledged her life long guardian with the same treatment. Fullys' arms closed around the little girl as well, holding her tight.

"Oh, child...they had no right...they agreed to our rules."

Tears sprung up in the big nun's eyes as she turned her look to the determined little man. "Thank you for what you did. Taking her in as your own is the best protection she could have."

"You're not angry?" Angelica's muffled words came from within the embrace.

"Oh goodness, child, of course not!" Sister Fullys immediately responded. "You know what I have been praying for!" Again she turned her attention to Motley and lowered her voice. "I do not know which unholy person thought to bless this city with forced cooperation, but we will find out! This has never happened as long as I live! So far any child who refused has simply been replaced silently! It does not make sense. Why would they try and force Angelica when she would clearly take another path if they'd let her walk?"

[/size]
Motley
Fool

Post by Motley »

Motley nodded carefully in response to her words of gratitude. It was simple, heartfelt and lovely, and he didn't want to ruin it with words. He simply gave her a warm smile.

When Fullys spoke of finding out more, he offered up his own thoughts, but he reigned himself well short of telling her everything.

"Aye, and they need to be brought to justice. They know Angelica is a special girl. So special that they've tried to take and control her. They have been watching her and waiting, and I think the wait is over for them. It's going to be up to you and me, and the silver haired Alazandra to stop them."

He was reluctant to bring the nun into his confidence, but at this moment, he wasn't sure why he was hesitating. Perhaps it was his inherent distrust in religious people, or people in positions of authority, maybe he just wanted to keep her secret all to himself. Whatever the cause, he knew the path that was set before him, and now he needed to walk it. It would not be easy, but he was determined to try.

He looked up at the nun and met her gaze.

"I'm going to do extraordinary things to keep her safe, but I want her to be able to come to you at any time. I will do nothing to keep the two of you separate. As far as I'm concerned, you are as much a part of our family as she or I."

Gutter Rat
Retired staff

Post by Gutter Rat »

Skilled, locked, and archived.
Daemons come out at night...and so do the rats.
Posting availability: Almost daily, if I can swing it.

Return to “Roque d'Ancourt Archive”