Streets - Waiting In The Wings (Ch. 25, MT)

Moderator: Mods

Aster Lu'ulnen
Civus

Streets - Waiting In The Wings (Ch. 25, MT)

Post by Aster Lu'ulnen »

"Oh you poor thing. And at Haifra of all people! Yes, you are going to need some lessons and you need them soon. I can recommend a few people?"

“As you can tell, we seem to have put the incident behind us, thankfully, and she seems to be a little slower in the fist since then, as if giving me allowance for my limitations, for which I am thankful just as I am thankful for your offer although I may already have a tutor in mind....” Aster answered, his thoughts flickering back to Mainy as they were prone to do on occasion. He kept an eye on the carts as they walked, as well as passers-by, thus far safe to avoid a mugging – a trend that he did not wish to break. He was grateful for Gwayne in a way that he would probably never communicate to the man for the formerly naked Adhiel had served Aster well as a distraction from his nervousness with Solange and, put more at ease by her appreciation of his little language lesson, he felt a far deal more camaraderie with her than he had before.

"So, you are a performer with the right permits. You sing and quip. What else do you do?"

Aster smiled and gave a little shrug. “I can charm the ladies, clothe the needy, and take a punch… What more would you desire of me?” His confidence was returning by the flicker and he put on his best charms, trying to show her that he was more than a drink-spilling clown as he tried to determine exactly what Solange was after. To add to the act as well as to subtract from his hunger, Aster did a small, non-pretentious pirouette with one of the carts, two banner passing into the merchant’s hand in exchange for a quickly-snagged apple – probably more than the apple was worth, but he was more interested in finishing his thoughts with Solange than starting a fresh conversation with the merchant. “Nothing too kinky, I hope?” he asked with a playful smile and wink before taking a small bite of the apple. Abandoning Gwayne and Nellan to the meal, his share going uneaten, may have been a bit of money wasted, but Aster hoped that Haifra would know his giving nature by now and make sure that his portion went to someone in the inn – a child perhaps – and not be just dumped into a slop bucket.

Aster had made sure to keep the bite small, as not to be stuck for half a burn chewing and swallowing a great mass of fruit and he swallowed what portion he did have before continuing. “I compose, to tell the truth, both beforehand and impromptu, in verse mostly, but I could fare as well, I hope, in the non-rhyming venues. The Lu’ulnen line before me was the same, my father’s guidance of me in his craft which was a bit different than one might expect, I imagine…” He continued walking beside Solange, offering nods of his head to other pedestrians when appropriate. “Our chosen subjects are often those in higher status, be it real or imagined…” he continued, his voice dropping lower as not to be easily overheard. “A Lord or Lady can easily find a hundred bards to sing feint praises to them all yahren… but my father taught me to sing the opposite – to show people that a stone and a diamond are both, after all, rocks. It is only in the demand for beauty that the diamond is considered more valuable, yes? But, for all is beauty, it still serves no purpose other than to be a rock and to pretend it is otherwise is folly, no?”

Aster took another small oral swipe at the apple, swallowed, and then continued, aware that he was monopolizing the conversation just a bit but she had asked him a question without a clause for brevity. “Much like that actress at my earlier performance – I am not sure if you saw or heard her, but she mentioned a name I have heard a few times in passing… Jonah… and how she thought herself to be above performing anywhere outside of a palace. She spoke of her own troupe, as if whatever sparkle she thinks herself to contain would be enough to make this Jonah regret losing her. I dare say that if her performance during the show was anything like her performance afterward, then she will have a small lesson or two in humility coming to her and that is just what my father’s art was primed for.” Another small bite joined the first two in his stomach, hopefully quelling any gurgling along the way.

“I know not if she is your peer, enemy, or ally, but unless you would wish otherwise, her praises would be sung in my voice within Roque if I saw one more outburst from her such as that – her diamond sparkling in a negative light and her true colors to be seen by nobility and peasant alike, for I am my father’s son, yes?” Aster took a final bite of the apple before tossing it into the nearest refuse pile.

“Speaking of ‘your desires’, my lady… May I ask what you would desire of me? Perhaps if I knew what you were looking for, I could better tell you if it was within my grasp or if, like the human language, it were something that I could come by - in time - through study?”
"Whoa, lady, I only speak two languages, English and bad English." - Bruce Willis, 'The 5th Element'
Syra
The Chocolate Game Designer

Post by Syra »

The sun was doing it's utter best to pretend it was high summer already. In all fairness: it was a very good attempt judging by the smiles on people's faces and the high notes of the feathered inhabitants of Roque d'Ancourt.

Solange kept a steady pace, walking the streets without thought while listening to Aster's recount. She knew the city blindfolded, although it was not something she cared to try with the influx of people for the parade. Quickly the woman stepped aside to make way for an extremely agitated salesman who was muttering about crows making off with his baubles.

Hmm might be a story in there. She mused instinctively.

"Taking a punch is quite useful in the performing business; almost as useful as the charming bit." The older woman replied dryly. "You can't play an improvisation without being prepared for the weirdest things to happen. I guess you've had some training on the job."

There was a grin to accompany that last remark while Aster worked his apple-trick. The merchant tipped his hat and pocketed the coins.

Aster moved on in the conversation. Solange raised her eyebrows. "Jonah? Heh, must have been Toni. So she's raising her own group now. That fits with what I've heard." She mumbled. "Let's just say she left the Fowls with a boot up her arse. I'm sure she has the money to make it work. I'm more worried about the quality...and about what she will spend her money on."

What if she'll just start paying off the authorities and make it impossible for us to play?

It was not something she could voice to this relative bystander. Aster was new to the situation and for all she knew Toni had actually sent him. He was a cute one, perhaps not entirely fit to be the romantic lead in one of their standard plays, but he'd definitely do for some of the more interesting side spins.

"What am I looking for...or rather, what are we looking for." She pondered, following the arch of the apple remains. Before it hit the ground it was snatched up by a small hand and disappeared into the shadows. "We always want fresh faces. We're dependant on people recognizing us or not. With a new face, we have a new shot at a completely unexpected play where people might just believe it to be a real happening. Stages are nice to use, but the streets far outclass that. We play live and we play life, mister Aster. You will need to learn the human tongue quickly, for even if you were the unknown card, you will have to understand what happens, when to run, when the guards don't think it's funny anymore..."

She looked at the eager young man.
[size=75]Chocolate is not an addiction, it is a way of life.

[/size]
Aster Lu'ulnen
Civus

Post by Aster Lu'ulnen »

"Taking a punch is quite useful in the performing business; almost as useful as the charming bit." The older woman replied dryly. "You can't play an improvisation without being prepared for the weirdest things to happen. I guess you've had some training on the job."

As he had been busy with the apple, Aster had only nodded in reply.

"Jonah? Heh, must have been Toni. So she's raising her own group now. That fits with what I've heard. Let's just say she left the Fowls with a boot up her arse. I'm sure she has the money to make it work. I'm more worried about the quality...and about what she will spend her money on."

“Perhaps she will pay adoring fans to watch her and bow to their purchased applause…” Aster offered with a shrug. “And surely you have known critics to be far less critical once coin or favor tainted their discerning palates. As I have stated, if her acting is as horrid as her attitude, I would personally not give one Banner to watch her juggle daggers in the nude while whistling Dortanese chanteys out of that very same arse…” As if to emphasize the point, Aster let a look of disgust cross his face and a full-body shiver to course through his gangly frame.

"What am I looking for...or rather, what are we looking for. We always want fresh faces. We're dependant on people recognizing us or not. With a new face, we have a new shot at a completely unexpected play where people might just believe it to be a real happening.”

Something within her words stirred a distant memory within Aster.

”Stages are nice to use, but the streets far outclass that. We play live and we play life, mister Aster. You will need to learn the human tongue quickly, for even if you were the unknown card, you will have to understand what happens, when to run, when the guards don't think it's funny anymore..."

Aster smiled in response. “When I was but a child, my father once told a tale of a performance that he had seen in his travels – a beautiful young actress dressed in hideous clothing and the most unflattering makeup, dancing about in a tavern trying to get naught but a smile for her efforts. If I remember correctly, it had been my father alone who had paid her any mind and, when he did, she wiped off the makeup and tore off the costume, revealing her true form, showing all of the men present that they had been fools for only looking at the visible. A hidden stage and unwitting audience…” He hurriedly explained, keeping the tale brief.

“Is this the sort of performance that you are meaning? And, if so…” Aster began, the idea intriguing him more and more as he thought about it. “…my answer is ‘yes’, although you did allude to danger and more…” Getting punched by Haifra could have possibly been avoided, had he known to duck, and this is what Solange’s description seemed to imply. That he would have to be wary from the start, know when to run, and hope that flight would save him from foul.

Luckily for Aster, his father had indeed given him a bit of training in this aspect, as one did not take the stage and poke fun at nobility without being prepared to take to the wings and exits should the nobility (or their security) decide to ‘take the stage’ in their own fashion. As such, his father’s lessons of “Step once toward the audience and once toward the door…” seemed as if they would come in handy, indeed.
"Whoa, lady, I only speak two languages, English and bad English." - Bruce Willis, 'The 5th Element'
Syra

Post by Syra »

"Heh, if only I were that lucky. No, she's not half bad, I fear. Good reason why I kept her around despite her attitude." Solange grimaced, remembering all the discussions they'd had on how to play out the heroic or dramatic scenes.

"Although I've never seen her juggle daggers in the nude." The grin returned. "And your father was right in telling you that story. It's the true beauty. We put a little emphasis on what is happening in Roque and people cannot actually persecute us for it because....we're actors. The people that need to see it, will get what they need from it and the people who'd rather forget what we play, will be able to discard us as dreamers and improvisationists. It's really the perfect set up."

Solange walked on, keeping her voice level as not to let it carry too far. It was obvious to any trained ear that this woman had the voice to pull a crowd if she wanted to. Yet somehow she was able to turn her presence on and off with the merest effort.

"So yes, we don't need scaredy cats. We need people who love their trade and who are not afraid to say what needs to be said. Oh, we do comedy and all such in between, no worries. We're not a political group. It's just....nice...to touch people." The older woman smiled.

[/size]
Aster Lu'ulnen
Civus

Post by Aster Lu'ulnen »

"So yes, we don't need scaredy cats. We need people who love their trade and who are not afraid to say what needs to be said. Oh, we do comedy and all such in between, no worries. We're not a political group. It's just....nice...to touch people."

Aster noted her lowered voice as she spoke and leaned in closer to hear – it was becoming obvious from both her voice and the material within the conversation that she did not want their discussion public notice. “Yes… Yes… I see.” Aster agreed “My training has been in something very similar – stage acts depicting current events… with the names changed of course… We are much alike then, I think…” A twinge hit Aster’s gut and he looked about, wondering what had alerted him and seeing it almost immediately – in their chatter, he had been more focused on Solange’s words than his surroundings, and noted that he saw nothing that looked familiar.

“…with one small difference, I hope… I do not know where we are or where we are going and I pray that you do…” Feeling comfortable with Solange, Aster allowed himself a nervous chuckle.
Syra

Post by Syra »

Solange shot the nervous man a look and grinned. "Thought as much. No worries. I know this city. We're following the path up to the walls. Behind it we'll find the sculptured gardens and many an interesting street. It's the place to get inspiration for what bothers the upper rulers and what keeps them busy in the evenings."

She pointed back from where they had come. "Easy to remember: down the main road to the gates. Up to get beyond the second wall. Don't worry, they hardly ever close the second gates. Only did so after the Storms. Perhaps some time before that, but that must have been before I was born."

The older woman chuckled, taking in the higher buildings here in the merchant's section of town. It was typical to see the change in style. Whereas the nobles preferred lower, broad buildings, the merchants were all for using as little space for as much storage as they could. It all made perfect sense, of course, judging the buildings by their goal.

There was a huge probability that Aster would recognize the official looking building to their left, where he'd gotten his permits, just before they walked up to the familiar gates where he'd met Mainy for the first time.

Unaware of his encounters here Solange had her own thoughts to deal with. If anything she had become a lot more careful after Toni had left.

Jonah isn't going to play anymore, I'm almost sure of it. A wrinkle creased her forehead. Not after we all...hrm...we were too fast in just assuming things. That'll serve us right for going for first impressions. And that for a theater group! Damnit, it was sloppy!

She shot Aster another look, wondering how he was going to turn out. Let's see what this one is made of. Don't appear too eager. Let him talk his way in. It'll show who he is and how he reaches his goals...
Last edited by Syra on Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[/size]
Aster Lu'ulnen
Civus

Post by Aster Lu'ulnen »

Aster listened to the instructions with a smile on his face, his ‘world’ growing around him as he both realized that he had been there before (although the mind pays little notice when one is frustrated or angry – and he had been both) and that they were headed into what very well may be the heart of noble territory. Solonge had spoken a good deal on improvisation and being faceless – blending in, so to speak, with the very people he was to be entertaining.

Sounds like something I could have a go at... Aster thought as Solange finished her directions, his eyes moving around the crowd as they began to cross the threshold into higher ground – both geographically and financially – testing out some of his acting talents in the form of subtle mimicry. He paid careful attention to both his gait and head movements, trying to walk more erect like many of the people that he spied while, at the same time, trying to adopt their airs, feeling that if he could complete such a transition, the merchant’s quarter was probably the best place to do it without too many noticing.

Roque was a forest and Aster was a chameleon trying to blend...as slowly and stealthily as possible, although a seasoned actress like Solange would probably see right through the acting. He was not doing it to impress her, however, but out of curiosity about his own range and abilities. She had mentioned running from guards and, his performance aside, sometimes the best way to run was to blend in with a crowd and sometimes – not often – all it took to do that was a simple shift in mannerisms.

“Is it within these gardens where we draw all inspiration?” Aster asked, trying to subconsciously warm Solange up to his acceptance into the Fowls by using the collective term. “And are we to meet others from the troupe there? Jonah perhaps?” Aster took a sideways glance at Solange and perked an eyebrow, curiosity getting the better of him after only a flicker.

“…and, although the stage be ever-moving, do the Fowls have a meeting place – or do we remain scattered to the winds until time to perform?” Either way was fine with Aster as he did enjoy his room at Dog’s but such rooms were often only meant as temporary abodes until the renter could settle into something more permanent.
Last edited by Aster Lu'ulnen on Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Syra

Post by Syra »

While Solange talked, Aster seemed to grow. She took a peek from the side and smiled. The man was positively flowering under the new information! She was very amused at the thought of this youngster adapting so quickly.

Another Jonah? Oh gods, I hope not. Enough heartbreakers already. But it's promising. Let's see what he'll do with this...

Almost the woman felt a bit guilty...almost. But then all shame went overboard as she guided Aster towards the guards. "And this, dear Fernando, is what I was talking about." Somehow she suddenly seemed twice as tall, staring imperiously down at the guard, who was -ironically enough- caught off guard, trying to palm some dice. Keeping her words in confident Adhiel it should be no great burden for Aster to follow her impromptu conversation to the human guard.

"Fernando, my dear, if you were in command of this rubble, what would you do? Remember, it won't be long before your inheritance..." Solange raised her eyebrows at 'Fernando' while silently gesturing for the guard to STAND up straight already!

Now, the stage is yours...Solange grinned inwardly, wondering what Aster would do. If he succeeded, she'd tell him more about the Fowls.
Last edited by Syra on Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

[/size]
Aster Lu'ulnen
Civus

Post by Aster Lu'ulnen »

“Mmm..” Aster replied, giving himself time to quickly determine how ‘Fernando would react. If I were ‘in command’? As a guard? No… She mentioned inheritance, Fernando would not be a guard… She means it in the noble command sense, I imagine… What would a noble do in this instance…?

“If I were in command…” Aster began slowly, the picture of himself as Fernando forming in his mind. “…and had spent good coin on hiring guards like this man to watch over it, I would be very concerned about a situation such as this.” Aster raised an eyebrow at the guard, as if studying him with the utmost scrutiny. “And I would wonder if I were not paying the men enough. Poor pay leads to finding the means to get money on the side, yes?” The bard seemed to be speaking to the guard as well as about him.

“But then I would wonder more…”, he continued, his frown growing. “What exactly I am paying for? If my guard felt that my property was not worth his total attention in the first place, would paying him more really make him do his job properly or would it just give him more of my money to gamble away?” He had allowed anger to slowly creep into his voice as if the guard’s actions were a personal affront to him.

“But most of all…” Aster continued, swallowing the normal urge to back down as he pulled his face closer to the guard’s in an effort to appear intimidating despite his lack of mass. “I would wonder if I should even continue paying him…at…all…” He gave a moment’s pause, letting an imaginary coffer act as his mass and then stepped back as if awaiting the guard’s explanation.
Syra

Post by Syra »

The guard immedately stood at attention, his doubt shining through as he lost the dice in his pocket. "I beg your pardon...lady...lord...I....I was inspecting...keeping an eye on...Um..." He shoot a look of utter desperation at his equally human collegue -who was having a hard time containing his grin. It was no secret that all Roques were trained to be bilingual to account for the mixed heritage of the inhabitants, yet it sounded wrong somehow to have him stutter in Adhiel.

Solange on the other hand was keeping her face completely neutral while Aster assaulted the poor man. It wouldn't harm these guys to have a little shock. After all, they were supposed to be watching the comings and goings of people, not coins! Especially after the Red Storms they should have been at their best, even after half a yahren.

The woman surveyed his stance, his choice of words, even the look in his eyes. As such she moved to and fro as if wanting to get out of the way of a group of giggling girls walking past them.

The Roque swallowed with some difficulty. "I ....it will not happen again, sir!" He saluted smartly, hoping to be left off the hook.

"Very well, Fernando. I agree with your observations." Solange nodded curtly. "We will of course make a full report of the lacking abilities here at the gates and I would advice you against recruiting your men from the Roques. We'll find better stock." She managed to put such a tone in her voice that despite the offense, the man felt he needed to thank her for keeping him alive.

The woman could not help herself and looked over her shoulder at the grinning companion. "Is this the famous unity of Roque? Squabbling over dice and grinning in the face of another's humiliation?" Her eyebrows rose impossibly high.
The man's grinning subsided immediately.

"Come, Fernando. We're done here." She ordered him imperiously, walking past the gates and into the upper layers of Roque d'Ancourt.

Once safely out of sight, the woman 'shrunk' back to normal size and grinned. "Well done...WELL done...heheh...Yes, this is where we get our inspiration. Play. Don't be afraid. If they are offended, name the Fowls and they will beam, knowing to be your inspiration. It's a magical word, not to be abused lightly." She shot him a warning glance. "But as far as I'm concerned, I'm willing to give you a try...Yes, we have our own spot. In the merchant's section we store our players, so to speak. A little rent for the room, taking care of your own dinner and all that. We have the theater which we are allowed to share with the official groups on rainy days. And we have Bannon's residence, which tends to shelter one or two players when the need arises."

[/size]
Aster Lu'ulnen
Civus

Post by Aster Lu'ulnen »

Aster waited until Solange had congratulated him to relax his stance and smile a bit, although he still kept some of his rigidity in the mindset of continued practice. “Thank you…” he began, giving a nervous chuckle. “Had that guard not been caught in the act of shirking his duties, I am sure that he would not have been so receptive – and I should hope that I do not have to become Fernando again each time I run across this man…” he laughed, feeling that he was not going to have to be a Adhiel arachnid maintaining a web of lies around Roque.

“And I understand the use of the name – if someone brings shame continuously to the ‘family’ name, then the whole ‘family’ is shamed. So true, as well, as the fool who abuses the name thinking that it will bail him out of trouble every time – for in that case often has a family disowned the fool to be rid of the shame.” Aster continued as they walked, his eye looking back once or twice to make sure that the guard had not figured it to be a ruse and given chase. “I musk ask, however, in which cases – besides dancing out of harm’s way – it is to be used? Not abused, mind you, but does it carry weight around certain circles or is my employment to remain hidden?” He looked around as they walked, taking more notice of his surroundings this time.

“And I do appreciate you giving me trial like this. I sincerely hope that I do not disappoint and that I mesh well with the others.” Aster stated with a hopeful shrug. “How many players strong are we anyway, just out of curiosity? He asked, keeping pace with his new friend and employer.

Employer… Aster took a moment to both savor the taste of the thought upon his mind as well as to give thanks and praise to Mother and his family for making it an event which could come to pass.
Syra

Post by Syra »

Solange shrugged his worries off. "People see what they want to see. In this case it was far preferable to be called out by a possibly spoiled youth than by someone who can use it against him later. He'll remember Fernando and will be dressing you up in his mind to fit the picture. It's a peculiar human habit. Besides as said: if you get into trouble, name yourself a Fowl. I'll get you a badge."

Aster's reasoning brought a smile to her lips. "Oh, there's people who'd like to shout it out. They usually don't stay long. Our strength is in the unexpected. But I won't force you to do the one or the other. You'll have to decide for yourself when the time comes. And of course if there are significant others you'd like to inform...well...you might be Adhiel, but I think the saying 'we're only human' might apply here too. Everyone likes their share of praise and likes to share the good news. So, don't worry too much." The woman looked at him as a mother might at an eager youth.

"As for your questions, we have a steady core of about five or six and an entourage of about an equal number. The core is well known by now. Not many surprises there. Yet it's in the extra's that we make things happen...well, that and a good costume, of course." She chuckled, remembering the time Jonah almost got throw in jail because of his scruffy outfit.

They passed a little patch of green, supporting three sparkling white birches. A group of four children was playing 'catch the tree' in between.

"Ah, now, how would you catch those children there in a play? Without scaring or upsetting them, that is? Children do make for a great addition. They never do exactly what you want them to do."

[/size]
Aster Lu'ulnen
Civus

Post by Aster Lu'ulnen »

"Ah, now, how would you catch those children there in a play? Without scaring or upsetting them, that is? Children do make for a great addition. They never do exactly what you want them to do."

“Hmmm…” Aster hummed, giving it some thought. Solange’s challenge was an interesting one. He had given it hard thought and preferred to test his strongest theory than to simply say it and then be forced to back up his claims so instead of answering verbally, Aster strolled forward cautiously, smiling at the children, making his way into the center of their circle if they allowed him to do so.

And, as he walked, his voice called out in a cappella rhyme, another one of the rote common memorizations that he had in his repertoire – a song for young Adhiel discussing a fable of nature and Mother.

“High in the sky, on a hill in a meadow…
Stood a young tree bright green against the sky..
Along came some birds that soon were fluttering near him…
Asking him why no other trees were nearby…

Aster’s hope was to gently divert the children’s attentions from their game to his, to be not only entertained by the son’s gently flowing words, but moved into action by them – actively engaged in acting out Aster’s ultimate goal to have them beg coins from Solange.
Last edited by Aster Lu'ulnen on Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Syra

Post by Syra »

Much to her satisfaction Aster immediately stepped up instead of explaining to her what he'd do. They needed more actors, not theoretics. With considerable interest she watched the proceedings, folding her arms subconsciously.

The only girl of the four was the first to pick up on the song. She grabbed her safe tree first before looking around at the source. The smile on his face made her wave, then quickly putting her hand back on the safe bark.

"Play the game, Genna!" The smallest boy glared. "You can't hold on for longer than five counts."

"I wasn't at five yet!" She protested.

"Cause you were not paying attention!"

"Owh come on, I didn't say anything when you tripped."

"Well that was different."

A mischievous boy ran up to them and tagged them both. "TAG! Both out! More than five on both!"

Now they both turned on the tagger, who shrunk visibly under the glare of his playmates.

Oh dear. Solange giggled softly.
Last edited by Syra on Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[/size]
Aster Lu'ulnen
Civus

Post by Aster Lu'ulnen »

Aster never broke stride, continuing his song as he stepped closer to the children.

“’Hushhhh, little ones..’ said the tree to the birdies…
And pointed his branches to a valley below…
‘Do you see yonder lady with leaves like sapphires?
I’ve had my eye on her since long before snow…’”

Aster played up the part of the tree, coming to a halt and firmly planting his feet on a spot in the dirt, affixing himself in place and waving his ‘branches’ toward Solange at the point where he spoke of the lady.

“Seasons come too swiftly for me, little birdies…
Ne’ry a once does a seed fall uphilllll…
Oh what I wouldn’t give to raise up her seedlings…
And have a full orchard up here on the hill…”

Aster swooped and swooned, trying to distract the children from their anger at the one child and to draw them into the story a little more.

“’But alas, I should fear my own little acorns would rather grow up in the shade of a valley…
While the lady finds that her apples wish to be somewhere high…
Tell me, friends…’, said the tree to the birdies… ‘Could you take her my acorns…
…and somehow find a way for her seedlings to fly?’

With a smie and more tree-like flourish, Aster plucked four ‘acorns’ from his coin purse, each shaped (strangely enough) like a banner, holding the ‘acorns’ just high enough to make the children reach for them, if they did indeed show interest, while continuing to motion toward the other ‘tree’ which grew from beneath Solange’s feet.
Syra

Post by Syra »

The oldest of the four was clearly outgrowing his child-stage although he was more than ready to play along as long as life permitted it. He leaned against the furthest tree in a semi-cool pose, legs half crossed, arms folded as he surveyed the strange little scene unfolding.

The tagger was all too happy with the diversion, turning towards Aster with a practiced swirl as to get the heat off him and the attention on the stranger rather than on the impending fight.

"Any of you know him?" He asked his friends.

None of them responded. Yet the girl walked up to Aster. "He's doing a tree!" She giggled, then listened to the rest of the verse. "It's a riddle!" She insisted, her head bobbing up and down.

Then the 'acoins' went up in the air and the children gasped. "It's a game! Get the coins! Get the coins!" The smallest boy yelled, his voice going up a pitch in sheer enthusiasm. He joined the girl and together they tried jumping for the metal fruits.

Yet the older boy -or young man, as he probably preferred to be called- remained at a distance, looking from Aster to Solange and back, not moving at all.

"We have to get them and bring them to her!" The tagger exclaimed, convinced he understood the purpose of this game. Of course the other children followed in his wake and together they tried pushing Aster's arms down to reach the acoins.

Solange grinned and folded her arms in a curious mirror position towards the lonely boy.

[/size]
Aster Lu'ulnen
Civus

Post by Aster Lu'ulnen »

Aster played the game for a short while longer, finally giving the ‘acorns’ to the children, curious as to if they took them to Solange or not and just as curious as to whether it was the type of play that Solange wished to see. She had given him a lot of information as to how the Fowls worked but had stayed equally as mysterious as to how they actually functioned as a group – her question about the play with children had made him feel as though he was to be a solo actor at times, relying only on his own wits as to when to stage a play and when to drop the curtain.

Like the loner boy, Aster allowed his tree façade to fade as he stood still and watched Solange and the children, his mind trying to figure out just how he figured into her play and. More importantly, if he could find Mainy and convince her to help him study the language better, as the parade was nearing its debut and Aster knew without asking that the Fowls would play some part in it.

After all, what actor did not like to play to a packed house?
Syra

Post by Syra »

Solange laughed as the children followed the instructions as children are wont to do. She rewarded them by exchanging the coins for her own -some symbolism had to be retained after all- after which she handed Aster back his own money when they dispersed.

A little nod was all she gave the older boy, who grinned and moved on to the streets after that as well.

"Well done." The older woman praised Aster "Well done indeed. It's hard to involve people who don't know they are playing a part, but you are showing a knack for choosing the right hook." Now, the woman probably meant 'angle' since a right hook was something the young man had already experienced at Haifra's hand. Still, her Adhiel was understandable enough.

"Tomorrow at the parade you'll be standing in the crowd." She continued while walking on towards the arboretum. "You will wait for the keyphrase... 'parrying the carrot'." The pause betrayed the fact that she just made that up. "Whatever happens, go with it. Make something of it. As soon as you sense real danger, however, feel free to step out of your role and intervene. We'll be around, of course, as are the Roques. So dont worry and just have fun. Any questions?" She raised her dark eyebrows.

[/size]
Turi
Special Branch

Post by Turi »

locked, skilled, archived
[size=75][i][b]"If it were clear in my mind, I should have no incentive or need to write about it. We do not write in order to be understood; we write in order to understand." -C. Day-Lewis[/b][/i]

Avatar by enayla at allavatars.com[/size]

Return to “Roque d'Ancourt Archive”