The Gilded Gates (Entrance Thread)

Moderator: Mods

Aurelia Tiramanus

The Gilded Gates (Entrance Thread)

Post by Aurelia Tiramanus »

After a barrage of quick goodbyes, Aurelia made her way to the city of Roque d'Ancourt. The great gates of the city loomed overhead, the young wood elf daunted by such a sight. In front of the city were posted a few guards, and Aurelia approached cautiously. Entering herself in the queue.
Last edited by Aurelia Tiramanus on Fri Feb 06, 2004 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Syrawenn
Baroness of Creiddyladd

Post by Syrawenn »

The city gates lack any sort of truly fortified strength. Made up of ornately sculpted metal and climbing, flowery vines, they are clearly made more for ornament than for true protection. The safety of the city is, instead, left in the hands of the armored guards that patrol its streets, and stand at its gates. Five stand outside the quiet gates, no matter what time of day. They are always and uniformly dressed in blindingly polished metal armor bearing Roque's crest. They are silent as they watch visitors pass them by.

Just within the gates, protected from sun and rain by a matching overhang, sit two men at an expensive and handsome wooden desk. Quills and sheets of parchment sit in front of them. Another guard stands beside them, quietly watching any newcomers who approach. A sign above the desk - lettered in gold calligraphy - reads "Information" in Elvish, with its Common Tongue translation beneath it in smaller, less ornate script
--------------------------------

Samheen 14th, tradetide

Most people around her looked as if they had just gotten up, taken as much as they could carry and left for these gates. There were great carts filled with furniture and unidentified barrels and crates. People were leading tired horses by the hand. Some were trying to sell their belongings to the people standing in the queue. There was something frantic about the scurrying around, something haunting about the look in their eyes.

The large, heavy gates of the nobles' Summer Residence had not been open for long since the influx of refugees from King's Court had lessened. Yet now that the word has spread about the city reopening, people appeared from everywhere to take up residence in safety -or so they hoped.

There was talk and many more whispers. "They say it is still spreading!" A young woman with a child hanging on her skirt said in a low voice. "Nobody knows how to stop it. Once you get it, you are as good as dead!"

"Pfft." An older man said, carrying a heavy looking bag over his shoulder now that the line was moving again. "Undoubtedly overdone, those rumours...now about the disappearing of the prince, that is another matter! What good will King's Court be without their crown? No, I'm telling you, it's safer to find a harbour and leave the Western Kingdom."

"Then why are you here?" The woman demanded to know, trying to soothe the child that was now whining something about being hungry.

"No money yet, m'lady." He grinned apologetically. "Trying to sell my goods here since there will be a huge shortage of supplies..."

The woman looked at the bag with renewed interest. "What are you carrying?" She said with big eyes.

Immediately the man stopped chatting and turned the bag so the woman could not reach it. "Nothing unless you can pay." His voice sounded, not as cheery as before.

Slowly but surely Aurelia got closer to the gates until finally the guards addressed her: "Name, occupation, reason for your visit?" The voice droned, the gloved hand ready to write down all specifics.
Last edited by Syrawenn on Fri Feb 06, 2004 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[size=75]Gavin:She's the emerald eyed agent of chaos
Vanir:She's cute, it's her personality that gets in the way
Ulder:Syra is a great shredder of paralysis through analysis
Elvin:We call it the Law of Improbable Syrabilities
Aurelia Tiramanus

Aurelia heard all of the distress around her - not a good time to be around, apparently. After making her way to the front of the line, Aurelia looked at the guard, and quietly said, "Aurelia Tiramanus, no occupation, hoping to enjoy the sights of the city." A feigned half smile had grown on her face, something was happening and she found herself in the heart of it, unknowing.
Syrawenn
Baroness of Creiddyladd

Post by Syrawenn »

The weary man looked up at her in surprise. His hand hesitated writing her words down. "Lady, do you realize what has happened around here?" He asked her seriously. "The chances of you finding a job within our citywalls are close to nihil. All these people you see around you," the guard gestured to the line behind her and the ones that had just passed through the gates, "they are skilled and had to flee their home. With a lot of luck and a lot of pushing, they might find a job and pay their way. Enjoying the sights of this city will get you nowhere if you cannot hold your own."

He sighed. "I will not turn you away since you seem to be of the honest sort, but remember my words. Find yourself a living or your tour will be cut short really soon. All there is to see is an overcrowded town. Are you sure you wish to enter?"
Aurelia Tiramanus

After hearing these words, Aurelia turned around to see an already building line behind her, and beyond that, the caravan she rode with had already ridden off into the horizon.
Looking back at the guard, Aurelia quietly spoke, "Yes, I am certain."
Meriel Anrawen

Post by Meriel Anrawen »

Meriel walked in from the direction of Mer de la Lune. She tried not to look at any of the men as she waited patienty in line on her turn, smoothing her tunic and trying to look unobtrusive in the busy crowd.

As her turn came up she smiled shyly at the guard "Meriel Anrawen at your service, sir. Here to find sanctuary and hopefully a living if Dominicus is willing." The woman hoped the Father of Heavens would forgive her blasphemy, but it was better to stay on the good side of these strange folk.
Syrawenn
Baroness of Creiddyladd

Post by Syrawenn »

The uniformed man sighed and shook his head. "Suits yourself, lady." He told Aurelia and scribbled a few notes down before handing her a pass. "Don't loose this though. Without it you are likely to end up in the dungeons! There is no room for vagabonds." He warned her honestly and let her pass, already looking at the next woman that wanted to be admitted.

"NEXT!"

As Meriel introduced herself the guard actually groaned. "Sanctuary? Not another one. Where did you flee from? You look strange for a refugee. Where are your belongings? Can you do anything for a trade?"

ooc
Aurelia, you are now in town, free to go as you please. You can choose where to start out.
Meriel Anrawen

Post by Meriel Anrawen »

Meriel blushed and pointed to the canvas backpack on her back "That contains all I owe, sir. I'm from a small village near the Mer de la Lune. You wouldn't have heard of it. It was wiped away during the siege of Kings Court by one of the patrol troops of the Orcs." The lie felt uneasy to Meriel, no matter how smoothly told. Yet she heard her mothers voice say A good coverstory keeps you safe.

She gave the man a hesitant smile, tossing her feather braided hair over her shoulder "I can sing and play the harp. I also do a fair bit of hunting." Not that Meriel ate flesh, but her mother had been adamant in teaching her this skill, convinced it would hone her instincts.
Syrawenn
Baroness of Creiddyladd

Post by Syrawenn »

The guard raised an eyebrow as he looked at the new arrival with renewed interest. "A small village you say? Try me, I've travelled around the lake." He said, a dangerous hint of curiosity in his voice. "By the way, you did not pick a good time for your profession, m'lady. Practical skills are of much more value right now than the entertaining ones. Soon the lords and ladies will leave when the weather becomes colder. Of course there is a small chance you will find families willing to stay here rather than go back to chaotic King's Court...as if things are so much better around here." He grumbled something unintelligable.

"Ah well, that's your choice. So where did you say you were from?" He looked her straight in the eyes.
Meriel Anrawen

Post by Meriel Anrawen »

"Mer's Blue, up north from World's Mouth", Meriel said uneasily, shifting on her feet, "A small hovel, really." Time to switch to a different subject "So you've got any noble family you can recommend?"
Syrawenn
Baroness of Creiddyladd

Post by Syrawenn »

"That's funny." The guard frowned. "I've been up and down the lake and I can't recall a little place like that. How many people did you say there were? And it was completely destroyed? Why didn't you go to World's Mouth then?" He kept looking straight at her, seemingly not paying attention to Meriel's restless feet.

"Well, there aren't too many houses that stick around for winter." The man wondered. "But you might give the Souived estate a try. I heard they are hiring people all around town at the moment. They're a bit funny though, but that might help: I hear the lady especially has strange notions about upholding appearances...she might want some extra entourage. But if that doesn't work out, you had best go to the Dog's Inn. Most talk freely around the place."

He wrote something down and handed Meriel her pass. "Here you go, m'lady. Just remember to be more careful with your background stories...it's no use lying when you know you'll be found out. Just don't get yourself into trouble or I'll be less friendly." He motioned for her to pass through the gates.

"NEXT!"

Post by Guest »

From the surplus of people milling about waiting their turn to enter the Gate, a small -- on what seemed to be a boy with a wavy ruffled mass of dark, brown hair appeared. His eyes down cast, the small boy timidly shuffled towards the table which seemed to be roofing over him. The thin boy tiptoed and strained his head high over it as a set of soulful, deep brown eyes met the human guarding the entrance.

The small boy appeared shabby with his peasant clothing, yet his garb was clean and arranged comfortably on his slim and lanky frame. Behind him was a small worn out backpack and he was carrying a small stick, which on its end dangled a small, knotted sack full of clothes.

The boy showed an honest face, his bare,hairy feet shuffled against the soil as the small boy adjusted his clothes. His curious eyes scrutinized the guard shadowing over him while he anxiously waited for the man to talk.
Last edited by Guest on Sun Mar 07, 2004 7:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
spoonie

Post by spoonie »

Lifting himself out of his seat, the guard looked over the table and down at the small Thyrennan, for a mere flicker the man frowned, suspecting this was another refuge. As if Roque D’Ancourt didn’t have enough of them already. However, he was part of the city guard, a professional. “Please state your name, occupation, and the reason for your visit.”

Holding his pen at the ready, waiting for the Halfling to offer up his answers. Around Thyrennan, people continued to speak in both hushed and loud voices, the uneasy gossip spreading through the crowd. Mostly people complain about the lack of food, or the growing population.

Post by Guest »

Thyren appeared to dwarf even more when the human guard glowered over him. Shrinking even more so, Thyren stammered a few apologetic halfling words before answering him in human.

“Thyrennan, sir,” Surprisingly, his voice was clear and soft, almost like a young man and not of a small boy. “From Brie. I read fortunes and future events as my living, sir. I was hoping to share my skill with the people inside.” He seriously continued, his deep, brown eyes taking all of the human guard.

Hearing the rumors spreading around him, he suddenly thought that this might not be a good city to enter. But then, King’s Court is too far and he was very tired and hungry. And maybe, hoping and wishing so hard, my luck would go back.

But then he thought against it, looking around him, his eyes glazed dreamily. He never did believed in luck or anything of such nonsense.

I alone make my destiny. I missed the Brie so much. If only…

Gently, he was transported to his own world of Brie. The green prairie, his own people, yet he knew that if he did come back, he’ll still be alone.

Always alone, He thought bitterly. How the gods must be laughing at my fate now. Gods! They are not real. They are just something the people created so they can hold on to something and feel not alone.

He continued to think, looking at the Guard but seemed so far away.
Meriel Anrawen

Post by Meriel Anrawen »

Meriel had the grace to blush and murmurred her thanks to the guard, quickly moving out of the way. The Souived Estate it was then.

OOC: next time kick me when I don't post within a few days ;) I don't want to hold you up :)
spoonie

Post by spoonie »

The guard was in the midst of writing the Halfling’s name when Thyrennan continued answering the questions. Looking away from the piece of paper he’d been working on, the much large man looked down at the boy from Brie, cocking his head to the side. His eyes narrowed considerably as he inspected the ‘fortune reader’ more closely. The odd, glazed look on the Halfling face made the guard frown further.

Should the guard take the tiny creature seriously? But he had no doubts about it, the Halfling was just another greedy being, trying to squeeze coin from the purses of desperate citizens. Still, he couldn’t fault the child for trying to make a living without actually having to work at something, and if people couldn’t keep the strings closed tightly on their pursers, perhaps they deserved to be stolen from. “I cannot imagine anyone finding use for a gift like yours in times like these.”

Turning his attention back down onto the parchment, the guard finished scribing the details and then extended the paper toward Thyrennan. Snapping his fingers to make sure he grabbed the attention of the little man. “Don’t cause trouble and don’t lose this.”

Post by Guest »

The young halfling instantly came back from his distant musing with a flinch when the guard snapped his fingers, the sound cracking through his own world like thunder roaring.

Thyren frowned seriously, slightly embarrassed of what the man thought against him. For him, the man’s eyes displayed a look of scorn and disdain for him, churning inside his gut with foul taste.

“I…” He was about to explain something, but it was no use. He was going to say that for some people, a glimpse of a pleasant future was enough to give them some hope, even though it was based on lies and falsehood.

But they wouldn’t know that and why would he care?!

Slowly, he reached for the paper, neatly folded it down, placed it on his breast pocket and nodded impishly, his head down.

I don’t care what he thinks of me! He repeated again and again, the shame burned inside him anew.

“Sir, do you…” His soft, tenor voice faltered. He closed his eyes, afraid to speak more. But he drew some courage, opened his eyes and continued. “Do you have any news of the Brie?”
spoonie

Post by spoonie »

“News from Brie, is it?” The guard asked as his eyes slid back onto the small male figure in front of the desk. He wondered where this Halfling was coming from, if not from the small village. Sighing, the guard crossed his arms over the surface of the table. “The town is recovering from recent events. Life, as I hear it, is improving in Brie.”

Narrowing his eyes just a tad, so as to be taken seriously, he asked, “Where is it you’re coming from?”

There was a renewed interest in Thyrennan’s reason for being in Roque D’Ancourt. Once couldn’t be too careful when considering who would be venturing into the city, especially in such harsh times. Another mouth that would be begging food. “I hope you’re good at more than just that hocus pocus, fellow, if you want to eat, that is.”

Post by Guest »

Oh, good for them. Thyren thought sullenly, missing Chleo so much. They never really did need me there and didn’t belong; they might not even remember me.

“I left Brie a long time ago, sir.” He replied softly. Not caring to explain more as he receded back to his inner shell, his eyes gleaming hazily again of far away places. “Thank you sir for the trouble” The Halfling murmured absently while he nodded once, troubled brown eyes averted, he strode past the guard and was quickly engulfed by the throng of people inside the town.

ooc: Thanx Spoonie for the nice welcome. :-)
spoonie

Post by spoonie »

“Very well then.” The guard paused for a fraction of a flicker, looking down at Thyrennan with an expression softer than any he’d worn that day, before adding, “Maybe you could try telling them there is food coming.. In your readings.”

Then, as if he expected no confirmation from the young Halfling, the man turned his head back to the line of arrivals waiting to be allowed inside the city. “Next!”

OoC: Welcome, and enjoy your stay. :D
Rhianna Coppermoon

Post by Rhianna Coppermoon »

Rhianna tensely stepped up to the guard's desk, ruffling her flowing green skirts of the road's dust and grit. It had been a tough journey, mostly on foot, from King's Court to Roque D'Ancourt (and probably back), carrying a heavy canvas bag and a lute strapped over her shoulder. Although the brunette maiden was glad to see the tall yet overly ornate gates of Roque, the city of her origin, she was still looking over her shoulder every once and a while to make sure no one was following her.
spoonie

Post by spoonie »

The guard standing next to the wooden table was silent as he watched Rhianna approach, his eyes lingered for a burn, but the human did not look suspicious, just another soon-to-be-hungry mouth entering the city. Concluding that at face value, the woman was no threat, the man’s eyes returned to scanning the awaiting crowd again.

Of the two guards seat, only one looked up to the mahogany-haired female. Dipping the tip of his quill into an ink well, the thin-lipped man did not smile to the new comer, or soften his tone for the benefit of the woman. “Your name, occupation, and the reason for your visit.”

Poising his gloved hand over a slip of parchment, the guard waited expectantly, the quill ready to make it’s mark upon the paper.
Rhianna Coppermoon

Post by Rhianna Coppermoon »

She blinked twice - thrice. Rhianna knew her name, of course, and her reason for visit was clear enough: visit her place of birth, find some money, and maybe play some music. But her occupation?

At first she considered merchant, for Coppermoons often chose that path, but different words came out of her mouth.

"Rhianna Coppermoon, bard. I'm visiting the city of my origin and looking for a bit of money on the way." The maiden didn't share the guard's taciturn look; instead; she smiled politely and shut her mouth before she got into any trouble.
Terrynar

Post by Terrynar »

Terrynar rides up to the ornate gates with his head held high, and his back straight to give him more of a presence. His black leathers and red clothes dusty from traveling the road from Kings Court, his rapier hangs at his left side and the dagger strapped right above it. Most of the sleeveless doublet, red shirt, and leather gloves not very dirty especially when compared to the now brown boots and leggings.
Terrynar trots Aida, his Appaloosa, to the men under the overhang and reins her to a stop and pats her neck. He looks down at the guards standing around, then to the ones with the parchment and quills before them. He rests his left hand on the pommel of his rapier, the right holding the reins resting on the base of Aidas neck. Terrynar looks down at the human writing on the parchment, then loudly says to him "Were can I find good lodging for me and my horse?"
spoonie

Post by spoonie »

The guardsman’s hand moved quickly at first, scribing the name of the woman, but he paused before writing out her occupation. Glancing up to Rhianna, the man did his own share of blinking, shook his head, and then returned his eyes to the parchment below. Making his final notes, he then extended the paper to the Roque native. “Here you go, Milady. Keep it with you, don’t lose it.” Hesitating a flicker, the guard managed the briefest (and shabby at best) smile. “Welcome home.”

“NEXT!”

The two sitting at the desk exchange glances and before either of them can address Terrynar, one of the guards standing next to the heavy desk steps forward. Looking up to the horsed man, and completely ignoring his questions, he commands, “Dismount, sir.”

The crowd behind murmured quietly, curious and perhaps anticipating trouble. Yet the guardsman did not move for his weapon, instead he stood in waiting.

Return to “Roque d'Ancourt Archive”