The Gilded Gates ~ entrance thread

Moderator: Mods

Post by Guest »

The bureaucrat nodded thoughtfully as he gazed at the singer. He replied with a profoundly lower and quieter voice, leaning forward across the table.

"Lad, you and...Figaro?...may have arrived at just the right time. Morale in the town as at a low point, especially in the upper city. Those damn serial killings have made people frightened to say Boo. I'd dare say that most of the gentry would appreciate a chance to smile in the ocean of frowns and fear here. Do you know any of the gentry hereabouts?"
Maxwell Winthrop

Post by Maxwell Winthrop »

Killings? I had thought the sight of all of these refugees was enough bad news for one day, but it seems that fate always provides.

"I am a newcomer to Roque d'Ancourt, good sir. Being of the wandering musician persuasion, I have few roots, but I'd love to set them down here for a while. Direct me to a court, and let Figaro and myself demonstrate our considerable harmonic prowess," Maxwell said.

Killings, he says? Well, that can't continue. For a place with such lovely if impractical gates it would not do. It simply would not do...

Post by Guest »

The clerk chewed on that question, literally moving his jaw as he thought.

"I'll give ye one lead. House von Emstallach in the Upper City has stood proof against other entertainers, but I'd bet a banner you might get through."

He cleared his throat.

"There is no lodging in the Upper City for travellers. You'd have to stay in one of the lower city inns until you arrange permanent lodging. You can choose between the Cliff Inn, the Freely Poured and the Dog's Home. If you line up a patron, he or she will probably take the matter on."

The old bureaucrat handed the bard a piece of parchment. "Here is your city pass. Keep it with you, and may the One look kindly on you. Welcome to Roque d'Ancort, Maxwell Winthrop."

OOC: Welcome to Tazlure...have fun within!
Maxwell Winthrop

Post by Maxwell Winthrop »

OOC: Thanks! See you around Roque.

IC:

Maxwell strummed a chord, and bowed.

"Figaro and I both thank you for your information, master dwarf," he said, and with that, pocketed the city pass and threw the guards a left-handed salute as he took his first steps into the Lower City.

OOC: I'm off to the Lower City to seek my fortune! Read the exploits of Maxwell Winthrop!

Teras Arrives Samheen 22-Morning Tide

Post by Guest »

ooc-Samheen 22-Morning Tide(just incase the subject line is missed heh)

<P>IC-It was cold outside by the measure of any common man. The young man could not help but shiver under the cloak he kept wrapped tightly around his form. He paused in his walk towards the gates of this fabled place, the reality that his entrance would not be heralded by a beautiful sun-rise, worthy of poems written in its honor. Indeed all he had to greet him this morning was the steady down poor of rain that kept him from even seeing let alone feeling the touch of the sun on the back of his neck. <p>He stood there then, for a time just outside the city gates, either unnoticed yet by those who would inquire to his business, or mayhap they were doing the smart thing and not bothering to look for travels out this early in the morning under these sorts of conditions. Teras couldn't help but close his eyes and seek refuge in his memory, searching for that idea or feeling that would urge his feet forward. His thoughts drifted to the warm smells of his mothers cooking, the sound of his father outside loyally chopping wood for the day to come no mater the weather. <p>That was enough, he was doing this for the memory of those who had raised him. The young mans eyes opened and the short bout of uncertainty washed away from his features. The gleam in his eyes one of excitement, and desire to see this place he had heard so many stories about for himself, no mater the weather!<p>And so he was off, his steps picking up, one hand still holding his cherished cloak about his shoulders, as if to remind himself of the memories it stored for him. His free hand adjusted by bow slung over his back, and his backpack in general.<p>"At least my boots are dry..not a very good opening line for a serious story, but it might do hmm.."<p>He stepped forward, intend on gaining entry into this place, and considering the merits of the story of his life opening with 'At least my boots were dry' when beginning the tale of his life here in Rogue.

Post by Guest »

The gate continued to be busy. Messengers had been elbowing their way to and from the city, carrying their self-importance as if it would break if bumped.

Two guards, one tall and slender, the other shorter and had obviously never lacked beef, stood at the gates this tide. Both were resplendent in highly polished armor and shields. At a table off to the right, two clerks sat.

The taller guard saw Teras milling around, and spoke up. "Good tide to you. May I ask your business?"

Post by Guest »

There was no pause in the mans step, making his way over to the guard who spoke up to him. The young man made a show of stepping away from the couriers scurrying about like self important vermin around him, thought all of his attention was directed towards the taller of the two guards for the moment as he attempted to respond to the question posed him.<P>"A good Tide to you as well, my Business is simply a desire to enter this city and make a home for myself within its walls." He pauses for breath here clearly meaning to go on and desiring to persuade the guard further with his words. "Surely there is room for one more soul in this city, at least one who has something worth while to contribute to it." There is a pause here and then he is grinning widely, an attempt to win the man over with the wide-eyed innocence of youth he tried to give off if nothing else. "Besides, I am willing to bet that I am the first man to seek entrance at your gates today who's first goal is to find and explore the hallways of the library here. And likely the first to need directions too it as well."

Post by Guest »

Note date correx: SAMHEEN 23, Morningtide

OOC: Hi. Changed the date due to sync event. This prevents the need to do a time jump. Our effort to keep things neat!

IC: The guard chuckled good-naturedly and held up a hand. "Wait a flicker, wait a flicker, citizen! I am not the one to make your case to. Talk to Master Rhun at the table there."

He gestured at the table with the clerks. Just on the other side of the gates, a voice whined: "Where's my pass? Since when do I need a pass? I've been..." The clarity of the discussion was lost as someone else spoke, thinking that loud could replace logic.

"Excuse me, citizen. My truncheon might be needed."

Post by Guest »

ooc-Certainly not a problem, I had thought to try and set myself ahead of the synch event but was not sure what day was good. I did not wish to jump to far ahead, thank you for the correction.<P>Ic-Teras could not help but give a soft blush at the guards words, being unabashed at his attempts but clearly at his misjudgment of how things worked. After a pause he cleared his own throat, trying to raise his voice over that of the one whom he could not help but overhear.<P>"Whatever the trouble may be, it does you no good to shout! Please lower your voice and calm down, no one wishes to see you hurt when im sure a simple explanation of things can clear any problem you have up"<P>He sighed a bit then as Teras realizes he himself has to be louder then he would wish in his attempt to be heard. Still he will do no more for the moment, not wishing to presume to do the guards job for them, and not wanting to get on the wrong side of either of their truncheons for that matter. Instead he would then attempt to approach the clerks, prepared to wait his turn clearly from his stance.

Post by Guest »

A clerk's head resurrected from the burial in parchment and ragged quills to motion the newcomer forward. He was an older man, pinch-faced and preoccupied-looking. His fingers were inkstained. Although his mind seemed in the Aether, his hands manipulated the parchment sheets with a deftness born of practice. He nodded with a half smile.

"The One's blessing on you, stranger. Please give me your name, city of birth and your business in Roque."

Post by Guest »

ooc-I am making up the name of his home village here, I did not see a list of such places otherwise, if that is not a good move on my part please let me know and I will be glad to conform to a already set village or ect outside of Rogue. <P>Any stress that had been trying to eat away at Teras's confidence was quickly washed away as the man in front of him offered him greeting. Teras smiled to himself, a nod of his head given to the man at his question. Here was a man after all, who was doing something exciting, getting to meet all sorts of exotic people among the more mundanes seeking entrance into the city. He smiled to himself then, realizing how silly that would seem to most people.<P>"I am grateful for your blessing and wish the one's gaze favor you as well." He pauses here, taking a breath and going into it. "My name Is Teras Magx, M, a ,g, x. I am from the small village of New River. I have come to Rogue seeking a future for myself. A job, a Home, a wife, and a life worth living."

Post by Guest »

"Ha!" remarked the clerk in the back of his throat. Then he said, in a friendly enough tone: "Good luck here in Roque, lad. We've become a little more open to newcomers since the King has returned from the One knows where."

"But have a care where you seek a spouse. There are some in the Upper City that value their daughters like imperishable gems...too grand for the humble"

"And on that point: there is no lodging in the Upper City for travellers. You'd have to stay in one of the lower city inns until you arrange permanent lodging. You can choose between the Cliff Inn, the Freely Poured and the Dog's Home."

"Here is your city pass, Master Magx, and may the One give you good fortune."

OOC: Have fun in Roque!

Post by Guest »

Teras flashed the man behind the desk his best smile, accepting the pass that was handed too him and putting it quickly away in his backpack. Not meaning to lose something that useful if he could do anything about it. He flashed the guard whom he had spoken too briefly, offering the man a nod of his head as he passed through the gate.<P>"I hope you don't have to use that truncheon of you for the rest of the day, would'nt want your shift to be ruined like that. Have a good day." And then he was off again, on his way into the city proper, his eyes set on..the Dog's Home did the clerk say? It sounded a bit..depressing but there was a certain ring too it that had to make Teras smile, his father would have preferred that name over the other two Teras thought, and that was good enough a reason as any to head to it over the others. <P>ooc-Thanks for running me through the gate, it has been a lot of fun so far and I hope to run into you in the big wide world.

Post by Guest »

At first glance, a unclaimed horse, bereft of rider approached the city gates, a purposeful gait suggesting perhaps that the horse itself had buisness within Roque D'Ancourt. However, as the dappled draft drew closer, a peculiar patch of dirty and grass seemed to shuffle along beside it. An eternity later, the horse and his bit of turf reached the foot of the gates.

The turf, it would appear, was really infact, as small, gnomish troll of some sort - nothing human could have that muddy skin colour or seem to grow grass out of every orfice.

The fact of the matter was, Tern had had a rough couple of days, and was covered in blood, grass, mud, and the King knows what else. She had parted from her cousin because her willful horse had the unhappy habit of bolting at very inopportune moments. She picked a splinter out of the palm of her hand and stared morosly up at the guards amditting entrance into the city. Being boyish in nature, baths most certainly were not something Tern enjoyed, however, she definately could use a bit of cleaning up.
Syrawenn
Baroness of Creiddyladd

Post by Syrawenn »

The gates were not as busy as before, or perhaps people simply moved aside at the sight of this new arrival. The fact was that Tern had the road to herself, several travellers hastily getting out of the way to avoid having to touch the scruffylooking, filthy boy. Some made the sign to ward off evil, sending their prayer to catch Dominicus' attention. Others recognized the mound of dirt as a human being and simply stared with something akin to pity in their eyes.

"Ahm...oh damn. Sir? Serg?" The splendidly dressed guard looked at Tern, confusion in his averted eyes as he tried to catch the attention of his superior. "Sergeant Matherion? Could you please...ahem..."

The sergeant was obviously busy with other matters, casting an impatient glance at his underling.

The guard picked up a piece of paper with a resigned sigh. "You can't come in here like that." He told Tern, not sure how to address her. "Go clean yourself up in the Mer, then try again. Can't have diseases travel into town." The brownhaired man pointed the other way towards the Mer de la Luna, freely accessable to all from the beach up ahead.

"I'll take down your name, if you want. But I can'd admit you just yet." The man tried to soothen the critique.
[size=75]Gavin:She's the emerald eyed agent of chaos
Vanir:She's cute, it's her personality that gets in the way
Ulder:Syra is a great shredder of paralysis through analysis
Elvin:We call it the Law of Improbable Syrabilities
Kithara

Post by Kithara »

Kithara stared at the ornate gates from a distance. Not nearly as daunting as Claidisis had made them out to be. Beautiful, yes - but not daunting.

Quickly, she searched for a place where she could change. If she was to do what she had come to this city for she couldn't come in dressed in the trousers and tunic she was wearing. Finally, she found a clump of bushes well off the road and made her way their. Taking only a few minutes to change, she emerged from the bushes dressed in a silk dress, her waist length brown hair tied in a ribbon at the nape of her neck. Nervously, she tugged on her hair, but even here, miles away from Citadel she could still hear Claidisis' voice, "Stop showing weakness!"

Irritated at her thoughts, she let go of her hair and tried to cling to a few strands of inner calm to silent her roiling thoughts and made her way to the gates.

In no time at all she stood at the reception table inside the gates. Smiling coyly at the attendant, she took the paper offered to her and made her way inside the city.

"Well, Kithara, you wanted a way to a better life - this is it."
Syrawenn
Baroness of Creiddyladd

Post by Syrawenn »

Samheen 25th, tradetide

The road was not as dusty as it could have been. The recent fog had put an end to the draught and made travelling a whole lot more comfortable -save for those intent on making their way to the gates through the swirls of mysterious white which took away all but a foot's sight.

Right now there was no moist in sight but the glistening waters of the Mer de la Luna. Waves lazily rolling onto the shores the water never even came close to the path, but the salty smell permeated everything. Accompanied by the yelling seagulls the road towards Roque d'Ancourt almost resembled summer, the warm sand and stone mingling with the scent of the salt water. Of course the weather had been holding up magnificantly, taking away any memories of the nearing autumn and winter. Yet some trees remembered, their leaves slowly colouring in the hues of a typical sunset.

More people walked around the young woman, all with their own purpose and intent. Some were easily identified as merchants, others looked slightly lost, even afraid. A young boy ran off towards the Mer, despite his mother's warnings. "Jeffron, if you don't come back I'll leave you outside the gates!" She told him in no uncertain words, but the boy did not listen.

With a groan the woman left the road and went after him, catching him just in time before he jumped into the water with his clothes on. "I'll have you know the King is in town! Suppose he'd see you like that? Huh? You want him to see you like that?"

Jeffron whined, easily outclassing many a child his age. "But I don't WANNA gooooooo, I wanna stay with daaaaaaaaaaaaaad! He would have let me jump in the water! He would have bought me chicken! He would have..."

A resounding slap and the boy fell silent, a somewhat flustered mother taking the child back with her to fall back in the cue. "Kids..." She mumbled apologetically at anyone daring to judge her.

It was easy to find a place to change. The road split off with the left side going into the little fisherman's village and the right continuing on to the grand gates. In between were plenty of little clusters of green, some brambles making it rather hard to hide, but otherwise perfectly safe bushes and even a convenient silverbirch which spread out in four arms after a remarkably thick start.

After a few burns no one might have recognized Kithana but for her face. The dress made a stunning difference, immediately noticeable by the people surrounding her. Suddenly she was granted some private space, with almost no shoving and pushing at all.

The guard on duty wasn't quite sure where to stare and before he'd had a chance to fire off the usual questions, Kithara had grabbed the papers out of his hand -unsigned!- and walked off!

"But...but....lady, wait!" He tried in vain and sighed in relief when two of his peers stopped Kithara before she could enter the city.

"Hold it, where do you think you're going without proper authorisation? Have no patience, have we?" The larger of the two growled, tilting a bushy red eyebrow.
Kithara

Post by Kithara »

Kithara's face flushed a delicate red as she realized what she'd done. Quickly she walked back to the table.

"I'm sorry, did I forget to sign something?" She asked.
Last edited by Kithara on Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Syrawenn
Baroness of Creiddyladd

Post by Syrawenn »

The burly man grinned, his haircolour amazingly well matched with the rusty-red armour of the cityguard. "Now yer getting the point." He said and followed the girl back to the table where the shocked clerk was still looking at her with wide eyes.

"Madam, you cannot enter the city just like that. We must have information, especially with the King in residence. Your name and occupation, please!" With a flourishing gesture the man felt his pride restored and took the quill from his desk to note everything down. "Also your reason for visiting, for I assure you the King is a busy man and has no time to just meet anybody."

Obviously the fatty man assumed immediately that such a pretty face would have come to charm King Balthasar. He did not know any better, having worked in the service of royalty all his life. The guards behind his back were snickering, obviously less impressed by the performance the clerk put on.
Kithara

Post by Kithara »

Kithara stared at the clerk a minute, then blinked her green, thick lashed eyes slowly.

"My name is Kithara and I'm a.." A slow smile spread over her face, "A charmer of sorts. I'm here for the sights...the gardens, the palace, the sea. And of course, to find emploement for my talents."
Syrawenn
Baroness of Creiddyladd

Post by Syrawenn »

Oh by the One, not one of those....Ah well, as long as she doesn't think she'll snare someone high up just like that....beautiful eyes though...focus, man!

Clearing his less than pure thoughts the man returned to his paper. "Right...Kithara...occupation: pleasuregirl...You can find the pleasureboats in the docks. Just follow the road into town and turn right at the first greater junction. You will pass through gates again, but with this document you'll be admitted without trouble. Take your pick of any of the boats. I'm sure they'll be willing to hire such a nice face."

A last scribble and he handed her a folded piece of parchment. "Keep it safe, madam. It is your validation to be in the city. Any of the Roques may ask for it if the situation warrants it. Keep an eye out for pickpockets too...streets are crowded these days."

He waved her towards the open gates where the guards stood neatly to the side now that everything proceeded as normal. "Move along!"

ooc
You are free to place a last reaction here, after which you can start your own thread in this forum. A moderator will pick you up as soon as possible :)
Last edited by Syrawenn on Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kithara

Post by Kithara »

It took a moment for the clerks words to register before a feeling of indignation swept over her.

"I'm not a-" But her words were cut off as she was swept away by the crowd.

"A pleasure girl! That's not what I meant! Of all the things!" She continued ranting angrily under her breath as she made her way through the gates. Finally she sighed, "Oh well - atleast I got in."

She was in the city - not in the way she would have imagined - but she was in.
Last edited by Kithara on Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Maeve
The Dragon & Game Designer

Post by Maeve »

This thread is now claimed for the Modding Seminar. Welcome to Sevti!
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]
Sandjen Sorien

Post by Sandjen Sorien »

ooc hey hi, im back, I was on the wrong track with the citedel, so if youll still have me, im back. im really sorry for the confusion.

Sandjen, a average looking person, walked up to the gates. The weather was fair and so was his mood. He smiled at the guards, greeted them while he passed. "Hail, good men! May the blessings of Dominicus be upon you! I have come to visit your fair city. May I enter?"

He asked a man who stood in line for directions. "Excuse me, good sir. Could you tell me where the Church of the One is? I am new to this town, but I can already see I will have a good time!" He laughed, being in a good mood. He hoped he would get the directions so he could start his work.

"I hope the people will be open to the word of the One." He thought, still smiling.

Soon the young man found himself staring at this new city through th e gates to explore and hopefully to help those people who walked in the shadows. He had heard of this city. He knew that there were many people who did not believe in the power of Dominicus. But that was what he was here for. With a smile and a good word (or listening if that was better) he was going to change a lot of lives!
Last edited by Sandjen Sorien on Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sevti
Retired staff

Post by Sevti »

Samheen 25th, Late Tradetide

There was a short line to get through the gates when Sandjen arrived, only three or four people waiting ahead of him. But the burns wore on and it seemed as though it wasn't moving at all. Around him, he could hear bits and pieces of conversation.

"... I'll believe there will be no murder or death when I see it..."

"... And so I said to my Uncle, I said 'Uncle, the only good Panling is a dead Panling..."

"... The most beautiful dress I'd ever seen... "

"... King Balthasar has the right idea. These heathens need to learn that Dominicus is the only true God and if they can't be converted, then they should at least get their taint off of the streets..."

He asked a man who stood in line for directions. "Excuse me, good sir. Could you tell me where the Church of the One is? I am new to this town, but I can already see I will have a good time!" He laughed, being in a good mood. He hoped he would get the directions so he could start his work.

The older man he'd spoken to smiled indulgently. "Why certainly, young man. The Church of the One is in the Fisherman's Village. Once you've been cleared to enter the City and have your pass, turn left. It shouldn't be difficult to miss, once you get closer. Just be careful what time you go," he warned, the smile temporarily gone. "The nobles are the ones that attend during the day. The commoners at night." The smile returned. "If you know what's good for you, you'll keep that in mind."

Finally, after about half a mark, Sandjen arrived in front of the gate guards. They eyed him warily but did nothing to impede his movement forward to the clerk taking the information, nor did they comment on his greeting more than for one of them to nod his head toward the waiting clerk.

The clerk, on the other hand, looked completely uninterested. He didn't even look up at the man before him, dipping his quill in ink before setting it above the piece of parchment that sat in front of him.

"Welcome to Roque d'Ancourt. Please state your name, occupation and reason for coming to our fair city," he spoke as if by rote, bored by the mundanity of checking people through the gate.
"First let's just unzip your religion down" - [i]Crazy[/i], Tori Amos
Tickle-fight champion.
[i]Avatar is At the Edge of the World by Electra[/i]

Return to “Roque d'Ancourt Archive”