Meeting V ~ Chyril 23rd, Early TT

Moderators: Maeve, Mods

Morg

Post by Morg »

"Two lance for the meal and a banner for the drink," Aylmari said brightly as she refilled the mug. The food was a little on the expensive side, but T'aquarian venison was well known to be of good quality. She ducked through a low doorway into a kitchen, returning in a few flickers with a small basket of warm, floury bread and a bowl containing a few olives. These were placed before the large man.

The request for a room was a little more worrying, and the girl's eyes widened and she clasped her slender hands together. "Vacancy, yes... but... well, I suppose it will be safe," she concluded. "Five banners per night. I'm sure you can tell that humans don't often stay here, but I don't suppose Althaluin or one of his friends will try to slit your throat in your sleep. Not now you're one of us." There was a hint of pride at this last, and she smiled. "You're welcome to stay if you want."
[size=84][i]"She told me I had too much to dream last night..."[/i] - [i]Apprentice of the Universe[/i], Pure Reason Revolution
Avatar by [url=http://pixieface.deviantart.com]Liz Green[/url][/size]
Arnholt
Civus

Post by Arnholt »

"Oh, thanks." Arnholt wasn't a big fan of olives, but he tucked into the bread with little concern that he might not have room left over for the pricey venison he'd ordered. His appetite was as large as the rest of him. Probably came from spending half his youth starving in the gutter, at least when times were lean. These days Arnholt made damn sure to eat well whenever he could afford it.

To judge from Aylmari's reaction, the big man figured he was right to suppose that his request for a room might be declined. For a moment there he was sure she was looking for some polite way to tell him to find lodging elsewhere. Happily, however, the young adhiel seemed to see things about the same way he did, given his apparent acceptance by some of the big wheels around here. Of course, Arnholt did have to admit that he hadn't figured that being murdered in his sleep was one of the possible pitfalls for his choice of residence. No matter, however. It would take a hell of a lot more than Altha's ilk to keep Arnholt from doing what he wanted to do.

"I woulda figured that doing me face to face would be more Altha's style," he remarked. "Preferably if he had a crowd of buddies to impress... or to back him up when things went sour. Either way, I guess I'll be sure to sleep with my door locked. Just in case." Arnholt found Aylmari's smile infectious, and he grinned as well. Not that it ever took very much to provoke a smile from him. "One of you? I gotta admit, I like the sound of that. Yeah. This is the place for me."

It was true; Arnholt found that he quite liked the adhiel people. They seemed like a friendly folk, albeit understandably suspicious of outsiders. And of course it helped that they weren't Oneists, given his fascination with the pagan gods, and his growing impatience for Dominicus' line of crap. But even as he passed over the requisite five banners, the big man was reflecting that Aylmari could hardly have meant that he would now be accepted as one of the adhiel. That sure wasn't the sort of talk the girl would be throwing around after less than a single trade tide... if ever. Which left him to wonder.

"Say, Aylmari," he asked over another slice of bread. "By 'one of us,' do you mean a member of the Black Hearts... or did you mean one of Carminello's bunch?" Or, hell, Arnholt supposed she could have just meant one of the Lost Elf's loyal customers. Except that he didn't really see how that last would give him any credit with Althaluin.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Tristam accepted that Adriano and this Rusty would do as they claimed. He had little choice but to trust them at the moment. He finished his wine in one gulp and then left. He had other things to arrange after all.
[size=100]
Donald heard a mermaid sing, Susy spied an elf,
But all the magic I have known, I've had to make myself.

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Maeve
The Dragon & Game Designer

Post by Maeve »

Alymari laughed, a sound like silver bells that rang out merrily though the Inn "We are all Black Hearts bunch here, Arnholt." Her eyes followed Tristam's back as he left the establishment "even the ninadhiel."
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]
Arnholt
Civus

Post by Arnholt »

"Regular den of thieves, huh?" Arnholt remarked.

That was a little bit of a surprise. Not about Aylmari, of course... he'd kind of figured she was in with the Black Heart gang up to her cute little behind. Even for a bartender, she just knew too much about the powers that be in the Elf Quarter. But the human hadn't figured that everyone in the Lost Elf owed allegiance to the local gang. Although, come to think, it did explain why everyone had hushed up when he came through the door. And why his wanting to take up residence here might have resulted in his throat being slit, were he not part of the gang. It wasn't just dumb luck that Alberto was hanging out here. I walked right into the gang's goddamn base. In retrospect, it made him feel kind of dumb for having failed to realize that on his own.

"Yeah. I shoulda known."

(OOC: If I may speed things along with a couple of minor assumptions...) When his venison arrived, Arnholt made short work of it. The big man wasn't much of a gourmet. Even when the food was expensive and came from far away, his first priority was to eat the damn stuff, not take his time and savor every nuance of its flavor. Once his meal was done, the human ponied up the five banners needed to rent a room here for the night. He figured if he stayed on with the Black Heart gang, probably he could work out some kind of deal with Alfredo and the other higher-ups so he wouldn't have to pay his way on a nightly basis. With no way to know how tonight would shake down, however, the long term didn't really seem worth worrying about. All Arnholt really wanted was a place to dump his bag and change into his full armor before the night's job.

Unless Althaluin and his friends suddenly materialized to jump Arnholt rather than allow the Lost Elf be polluted by his continued presence, the big man would soon be back downstairs, minus his pack, and leaning casually against the bar. He'd come to another decision in the last half a mark or so. "You're real charming company, Aylmari, but hanging around in a bar not-drinking really ain't my idea of a fun time. You see Snookums, will you tell him I went down to the Lycaeum to look at some books? I'll be back before evening, but that's where I'll be if he needs me sooner."
Gwayne of Vendeling
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Gwayne of Vendeling »

OOC: Checking if the thread is alive. Otherwise I take over.. send pm to Anhold.

Well because meave is sick and we have a timesync so we have to speed things up a little. Also you are a little behind in posts so I shall post a bit faster. I am reading in at the moment so I start posting tomorrow or friday.
Last edited by Gwayne of Vendeling on Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Goddess is at my side, until she decides to leave me...

Posting on possible days Avatar from our lady Finley.. a mistress of capturing dreams and nightmares in word and pictures.
http://pixieface.deviantart.com/
Arnholt
Civus

Post by Arnholt »

OOC: Gwayne, did you get the PM I sent you on Saturday?

I would appreciate an update on what will be happening with my thread. Thank you.
Gwayne of Vendeling
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Gwayne of Vendeling »

OOC: Okee, before people get killed :) Or not.

Arnhold was released from his duty as careful listener and made his way to the bar. Alymari winked at him and gave the man a small note and a beer.

"The note I got from a man, and the beer you get from me.." she said softly with clear laughter in her voice.

The note said

Stay out of trouble and if possible out of sight for the next two days... we shall contact you... or she shall do it herself. On the early morning tide, here on the 25th !

Don't be to hasty !

It was not signed.
Last edited by Gwayne of Vendeling on Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Goddess is at my side, until she decides to leave me...

Posting on possible days Avatar from our lady Finley.. a mistress of capturing dreams and nightmares in word and pictures.
http://pixieface.deviantart.com/
Arnholt
Civus

Post by Arnholt »

"That so? Well, thanks, Aylmari."

Arnholt accepted both the beer and the note without further comment. He was already sipping absently at the former while he glanced at the latter. Because, sure, he had told promised himself a time or three that it was time to stop drinking if he wanted to be in any fit shape for tonight's job. But free beer was free beer, and Arnholt never could say no to a lady. This would definitely have the be the last one, though. The big man was already beginning to feel a slight mental fuzziness that only served to make the anonymous note seem even more nonsensical.

He opened his mouth to ask a question, but then thought better of it. The note must come from Carminello. No one else but Alfredo knew him in this city, and that mob lieutenant would hardly need to be passing him weird, unsigned notes while he sat in the gang's own headquarters. But what the hell was the message for? The old elf had already told Arnholt he could drop by and see his friends just about any time he felt like it. So what was with this cloak-and-dagger shit all of a sudden? And who the hell was 'she?'

Well... Carminello did ask me not to mouth off about his buddies. And I can see why a gang of elf revolutionaries or whatever would want to keep things circumspect. Guess the old guy got to talking to his friends about me. Realized he maybe said too much already to a complete stranger, and now he wants to bring me in slow, if at all.

Yeah, that seemed about right. Arnholt folded the note carelessly and stuck it in his pocket. He figured it would serve as his calling card with the Righteous, later, if Carminello's name alone did not suffice. Polishing off his last beer, the last man slid the empty mug back across the counter to the young elf woman.

"Uh-huh... thanks again, Aylmari. For everything. But now I got to get the hell out of here before I really wind up drunk. I'll be at the library, remember? Catch you later."

And so, weaving only slightly as he rose from the bar, Arnholt trundled on out the door and on to the Lycaeum.

(OOC: Thus ending my part in this thread.)
Turi
Special Branch

Post by Turi »

OOC: Well done, guys, this was a great read.

Skolled by skilling viking

Locked, archived.
Last edited by Turi on Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
[size=75][i][b]"If it were clear in my mind, I should have no incentive or need to write about it. We do not write in order to be understood; we write in order to understand." -C. Day-Lewis[/b][/i]

Avatar by enayla at allavatars.com[/size]

Return to “World's Mouth Archive”