Browsing the Isle: Aden

Moderator: Mods

Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

"Let's try this way," the horse mimicked him. "Or wait, no that way," he snorted.

"Why don't we just take a tour of the whole city while we are at it. There's no rush and your feet won't get tired, now will they?" the horse said before taking off suddenly. Even leaning forward as he was, the sudden forward motion of the animal jerked him backwards and off balance without knocking him off. With no effort to make it easy on the young man, the horse set off in a jolting canter.

"Fine, fine. Let's walk a thousand miles and see if we can find Mr Gel`itan shall we? And if we don't we'll just go back and ask the old man where we are going. Makes perfect sense to me. But then I am just an old nag of a horse so what do I know?" the chestnut snorted and.... stopped. Suddenly and completely, tossing Aden forward in a roll over the horses shoulder to land on his bottom at Buster's feet.

"I see you've not learned how to hold on yet," the horse nickered before turning to head back to the weaponsmith's without waiting to see if Aden followed.
[color=hotpink][i]The secret of success is sincerity. Once you can fake that you've got it made.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

Aden lay still for just a moment. The wind knocked out of him, he simply stared at the sky for a moment, allowing his breath to return. "Damn horse," he muttered, dusting himself off slightly. Sighing, he followed the beast back toward the house rubbing his bruises lightly while continuing to mumble silent death wishes at the horse.

Walking back into the weaponsmith's home, he casually peeked his head to look for Hamsey, calling loudly to get the man's attention. "Which way does the Lord Gelatin live, exactly? I guess I musta forgotten." He scratched his head thoughtfully and smiled what he hoped was a winning smile. "Rather foolish of me- I must have been too excited about the blade."
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

"I'll just wait out here," drolled the horse as the upset young man stomped by back into the smithy. Hamsey was working a new piece of metal on the anvil, hammering the yet unshaped block of something to flatten it. Hearing the young man's voice, he turned and nodded.

"Oh! Sorry lad, shoulda known you'd not know where he lives. Take the north road outta town and he has the large country estate bout a half hour walk outta the city. Can't miss it. He's got a large orchard, vineyards, a winery and has built hisself somethin' like a castle," the old man wiped his sweaty brow with his arm.

"You be sure and get pd for deliverin' it to him too!" Hamsey barked a laugh as he turned back to move his metal piece back into the fire.

Back outside, the horse was nudging the pump handle with his nose while his tail swished madly at a fly that had taken interest in his flanks.
[color=hotpink][i]The secret of success is sincerity. Once you can fake that you've got it made.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

With a quick word of thanks, the young man hurried out of the building. He mentally kicked himself for assuming the horse would know the way to their destination. Standing just a moment at the doorway, Aden couldn't help but smile at the horse. It was odd that one of the best conversations he had experienced in a very long time was one he had participated in with a horse. Sighing slightly, he walked up to Buster, patting the horse on the neck, and trying unsucessfully to bat the fly away.

"Can I mount you, oh great Buster?" Aden asked, his voice filled with a good-natured sarcasm. He even mock-bowed, thinking that maybe the horse needed nothing more. He told the horse the instructions, in the hopes that maybe it would walk itself in the proper direction once he was on. After all, the young man certainly had no idea how to control what the horse did anyway. "Shall we proceed hence, horse?"
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

"Fine!" the horse snorted. "It's okay. Ignore my parched lips, my un-slaked thirst. Your wish is my command of course," Buster lowered his face into bucket and quickly sucked at the muddy water laying in the bottom.

By the time the horse had lifted his head, Aden was on his back and they were well down the north road with the large majestic looking estate now visible sitting on the side of a hill. To the right of the manse, trees dotted the landscape while the vineyard covered the hills on the left. In the afternoon sun, a few workers were busy, their bright clothing and movements standing out among the greens and browns.

A stone archway, it's giant stout wooden doors thrown open, led into the castle-like structure. Guards, dressed in dark blue uniforms trimmed with yellow, ceased their sparring as the young man on the horse neared.

"Halt! Who are you and what is your business, lad?" an older man squinted up at Aden.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

Trying his best to sound confident despite his surety that he had never delivered a weapon to a noble in his life, Aden replied in casual tone. "I am Aden O' Duran- here to deliver the commission to Lord Gelitan from the Blacksmith Hamsey." He hoped that the titles were properly given (and that he had pronounced the name of the lord correctly). Keeping the simple smile upon his face, he nodded firmly at the man- as if in verification of his statement.

"May I pass to deliver it?" he inquired quietly, thinking that perhaps there was something here that he had to discover- perhaps the next step on his path home. Should the response be no, he didn't know what he would do... for he was confident that the denial of his passage might leave him in this odd and distant place forever. Stroking Buster gently, he waited.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

The old man's squinting turned into a large smile once the lad identified himself as someone the guard didn't know.

"Greetin's Aden O'Duran. Welcome ta the House o' Gelitan. You'll please forgive me holdin' ya here a moment whilst I send a runner ahead to announce ya to his Lordship?" he turned and nodded to one of the other guards, a young man who didn't appear to much older than Aden, who took off in a mad dash through the gates and into the area beyond.

"Nice mount ye've got there, laddie. Had 'em long? Good sturdy leg on the beast," the old man said admiringly, passing the time while they waited.

"Not sure why 'is Lordship ordered a sword though," the old man changed tracks suddenly.

"Never had trainin' ta use one of the things though the Mother knows I've tried ta get him ta learn," the man complained, then pauses and rubbed his head, looking back at Aden.

"Ya think he's decided ta learn this time?" he asked, looking at the young delivery boy as if he had all the answers in the world.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

Aden nodded and smiled. "Aye, Buster is a good horse. Takes me where I need to go, and doesn't give me much lip about anything." He stifled a chuckle at the slight jest, but figured that the man would not get it, since the horse didn't exactly seem to talk to strangers very often. "Nope. An honest and true horse, yes." He patted the horse once more.

"Maybe this time he'll learn, sure." Aden didn't quite know what to say. Was he supposed to be familiar with this nobleman, or what was so significant about the sword. "It is a noble skill to learn, to be sure." At this, he could nod positively, thinking fondly of his own blade. "Teach him well, and maybe he'll keep with it. A good teacher can solve most anything." At that, Aden's thoughts drifted back to Old Man Hamsey, and he found himself idly wondering if he would see the smith ever again.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Running back, the youth skidded to a stop puffing and nearly out of breath.

"His Lorship'll see ya now," he panted. "If ye'll come wi' me," the boy added, waved his hand in a come along gesture and turned to march back inside, this time very controled and regal, as if he were marching in a parade.

Inside the gates was a large yard which looked large enough to accomodate the training of troops but instead was elegantly designed into a beautiful garden landscape. To one side was a small grove of trees with benches under them, the grass rich and thick. A matronly woman sat on the bench reading something, her eyes looking up as Aden passed, without moving her head before her eyes lowered again to her reading material.

For the beauty and splendor of the garden, the path was cobblestone and poorly done, the stones at different heights making walking clumsy and difficult in some places. By the time they reached the door, Aden's ankles had obtained quite a workout.

In contrast to the bright sunshine outdoors, the inside was dim and dark with a very high ceiling and rather unimpressive gray stone walls. Through a narrow entrance hall, they moved into a large room large enough to entertain a large assembly, sparsely furnished. A huge fireplace dominated the wall to the left and a small man stood before the dark hearth staring into it as if in thought. Over the fireplace hung a large coat of arms and on either side hung an array of various swords, displayed lavishly.

Hearing their approach, the man turned and frowned at Aden. Steely gray eyes peered out of a well weathered and tanned face with a large rosey nose and a wide, thin-lipped mouth. A full two heads shorter than Aden, the man was human by all apperances though his round wide middle gave him more the look of a halfling and a well fed one at that.

"Did you bring it?" was all he asked, eyes squinting at the delivery boy as if he wasn't certain whether to trust him or not.

"Where is it?" he added impatiently.
Last edited by Shaeliana on Mon Apr 05, 2004 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

Aden was taken aback a bit by the man's mannerisms, but decided against any comment or expression. "Why... uh... I have it here, milord," he began, fumbling around unnecessarily in his state of nervousness. Gripping the delivery that Hamsey had given him, he tried a small smile. "Hamsey sent these for you," he gave a nervous chuckle, holding the item a little more gingerly than absolutely necessary.

He was tempted to ask 'What is it', but refrained from doing so, handing it over to the rotund gentleman with less-than-expert grace. He hoped his nervous bumbling wouldn't ruin things... but then, he still had no idea what exactly he was doing in this place- or what he had been sent here to deliver. Looking expectantly at the man, he waited for the item to be revealed.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Stepping back suddenly from Aden, the rotund man gasped in shock.

"No, no!" he yelped taking a step back. "You... just... show me! Yes, just show it to me. Is it well balanced? Well crafted? Will it hang easily and hang well?" he asked, still frowning at the item the delivery boy held out for his review.

"Pug... where's your whatsamatensil? Help this young man show me how good this one is," he ordered imperiously as he moved back before the cold fireplace, clasping his hands behind his back, still carefully studying Aden and the sword he held. The other young man looked at Aden, shrugged and drew his sword.

Bowing elegantly, the youth screeched a loud "Ah ha!" and began to move his feet rapidly in some sort of pattern while holding the blade over his head. Finally, pirouetting in a large circle, he stopped in a pose feet shoulder width apart with both knees bent and out, both hands grasping the sword out in front of him about chest high, sword angled back over his right shoulder.

"Ready sir!" he shouted to no one in particular just before he sliced at the air a couple of times and brought the sword back up in his ready stance.
Last edited by Shaeliana on Mon Apr 05, 2004 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

Aden just stared at the man's actions, his jaw hanging slack. Either this was some kind of horrible, horrible joke or this place he found hismelf was far odder than he had thought. The man seemed to be trying to strike at flies with his blade... and failing miserably. As the man came to a standstill, Aden took a moment to blink, and the immediately bursted into laughter.

It was all so ridiculous- the talking horses, the men who feared swords that they themselves commissioned, men dancing about with a blade in their hands... it was like a fairy tale gone horribly awry. His laughter continued to come out in an endless stream. "That's not how you use a sword at all!" He chuckled a little more before continuing. "Watch!"

Although he had no skill or familiarity with the blade, he had a vague idea from childhood games and the like, but at least his interpretation would be more accurate than what the man had done. Swinging the sword over his shoulder, he sliced down, allowing the momentum he produced to turn him around and carry into a second slice, this one horizontal. Of course, such a move would not be practical in battle, but it was how Aden imagined a sword to be used.

He thrusted, parrying blows from imaginary foes, slicing and hacking illusory enemies with the vigor of the youthful. For a moment, he was back in his childhood, fighting with a particularly pointy stick- chasing away dragons and their ilk from the O' Duran estate. He sighed, his breath comign harder with every moment of the exertion, before slowing the blade down and turning to the Lord Gelitan once more.

"That's more like how a sword is used, milord." He inclined his head slightly.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

"Fine, fine! Very nice young man but will it hang?" he insisted pointing to the wall already well dotted with many other swords.

"I am dying and I must have a legacy. All the others before are up there and I must be up there too. It is... tradition!" he said woefully, eyes full of sorrow.

"This..." he paused and gestured to the sword. "This must be magnificent enough to be my legacy to be remembered by future generations as my gift to the house of Gelitan." Burying his face in his hands, he shook his head and moaned.

"Such a heavy burden for such a sick old man," he groaned and then looked back up frantically.

"Will it hang?" he insisted. "Will I be remembered?"
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

Aden felt a sharp sting of pity for this man. It was clear that he was deeply troubled by something- perhaps even unable to reason clearly. He was afraid of the weapon, yet he wanted it to be his legacy... Sighing lightly, he looked at the sword- it was a fine blade, to be sure. However, it was kind of plain looking, at least in respect to holding a legacy, to the young man's eyes. Aden knew it would serve fine as a weapon, but would it truly hold as a legacy?

He smiled, feeling the pity surge within him. Surely there was a way to describe the weapon to his satisfaction... "It's a lovely blade, milord. The pommel is perfectly crafted- solid and strong- surely a symbol of the strength of your reign... the golden sheen of the hilt surely tells of the riches you hold- and perhaps even of the brightness of your reign, so as to outshine the sun." He paused then, feeling somehow -needlessly, he reminded himself- sad. "The blade is long and pointed- sleek as the form of a descending falcon. Perhaps this will speak to your astuteness of mind. Or maybe to your swiftness."

Aden sighed, looking for ways to descrbie the simple sword. The gilded pommel and hilt- appreciable to any swordsman, were not enough, it would seem. He wished the sword were inlaid with ancient runes with gemstones arranged upon the surface. Instead, there was only a sword- a noble one, to be sure- but worthy of any man's legacy? Could a single sword ever speak to a man's legacy?

Aden shook his head at his thought, fearing the next logical step and what it implied.

Nodding toward the Lord Gelitan, he smiled. "The blade is worthy of any king- any ruler. It is a sword of champions, a symbol of strength." He nodded hopefully, twirling the sword in his hand, running his hand lightly over the polished surface. "It is worthy of any man." He amended, far beneath his breath, so soft so as to almost be a thought instead of a whisper.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

A smile beamed on the old man's face as he did a little jig before turning to the display of swords on the wall, pacing back and forth as he examined them. Stopping suddenly, his eyes locked on a magnificent long sword with a golden hilt decorated with tiny gemstones, the old man hrummpfed, turned around and pointed at Aden.

"Come here young man," he waved the youth over to himself. "Take that sword down. The pretty one. With all that gold... stuff on it and put mine in it's place," he beamed happily putting extra emphasis on the word mine. To the side, the young guard's eyes enlarged as he saw the sword the old man had picked out.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

Aden smiled at the man's excitement. The transition in emotions somehow felt good to him- rewarding in some slight way. The widening of the man's eyes made him raise a brow, but he was caught up in the moment as surely as the bulb-nosed man was. There was something infectious in the smile, a need to be fulfilled that called to something inside Aden.

Striding calmly over to the indicated sword, he set the one in his hands against the wall, at an angle, and then retrieved the gilded blade from the wall. Holding it gently in his hands, he set it next to its replacement. He weighed the two against each other, and found himself -perhaps because of his own mental persuasion- that the second blade was superior to the one that had previously hung there. Nodding solemnly, he picked up the weapon Hamsey had forged and set it in the empty space. It looked good there- as if it belonged, at least in his mind's eye.

Taking up the other sword in his hands, he walked back to Lord Gelitan, and then thought better of it, keeping the sword in his own hands and looking nervously at the soldier. He made a nervous gesture, as if asking if the man was to take the blade, or if he was to set it down. He wondered what the fate of the weapon would be now that it no longer held a place on the wall.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

As Aden turned towards the old man, taking a step in his direction, Lord Gelitan started dancing backwards, hands held out squeamishly in front of him.

"No, no, no! I don't want it thank you very much," he laughed, a sound that was tainted with nervousness.

"You keep it! My reward for a job well done," he added as he put his hands behind his back and gazed up at the new sword on the wall with pride.

"A job exceedingly well done I would add," he looked back at Aden.

"Do tell Mr. Hambley how pleased I am," he smiled warmly, cocked a brow and began to fumble with his purse, eventually pulling out a coronet.

"And here, for your trouble lad," he handed the coin to the young man.

"Now, if there is nothing else I have a busy day ahead of me," he said in dismissal as he moved to a chair, sat down and gazed up at his sword on the wall. The young guardsman made a sideways nod with his head, indicating the weaponsmith apprentice should follow him as he headed back towards the entrance.

"Wow," the young man laughed. "I can't believe he gave you that sword. It would seem that Krynsathis is smiling upon you today!" The young man paused as they stepped out of the dim interior out into the full glare of the tradetide sun.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

Aden turned the sword idly in his hand. It was apparently valuable- that at least, was true. But what made it special beside its wealth? Was there some kind of lore associated with the sword? He turned to the guard who had spoken, looking at the way the light reflected off of the sword. "What is it that makes this blade special?" He scratched his head with a free hand. "Did it belong to a former lord of this house?" He was honestly confused by the big deal being made about it- especially since he already had a sword- the one he had forged himself.

Somehow, this new sword felt uncomfortable in his grip, in comparison with the blade he had constructed. He couldn't deny its beauty- but he felt uncomfortable having two swords- as if he would have to choose between them, and he wasn't sure which he would pick.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

"What is it that makes this blade special?" the young guard parroted the question back as he stopped dead still and turned to look at Aden incredulously.

"Ya mean ya don't know? Why, this sword's famous! Carried by Lord Thasius Gelitan some near hundred and fifty yahren ago. Slew the dreadful Uadh-bheist with that sword he did! Many a tale and legend about that sword and Lord Thasius. Why, I reckon ye'd get a pretty penny fer it were ya ta sell it though I don't know as I'd try ta use it for sparrin' or fightin'. It'd seem... sacreligious somehow," the young man scratched his face and resumed his path across the open yard to the gates.

"Look what he got," the young man announced to his fellow guardsmen as they passed through the gates. "Old man gave it to him, he did!" The older guard eyed Aden critically.

"Ye think he spelled him ta do that Thomas?" the old man asked but the young guard laughed and shook his head.

"No, lad didn't even know about the sword. Had ta tell him," he chuckled which garnered a pleasant laugh from all the others.

"I'd tuck that back inta yer bag youngster," the old man smiled. "There's those that would give ya some grief ta have it as there own. Some say the blade's enchanted though there's debate over if that enchantment be for ill or for good," he chuckled.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

Aden nodded. He hadn't heard of the story, but thought it best to act as if he did. "Lord Thasius Gelitan? Wow! This is an important blade. I'm going to treasure it forever and ever. I'll try not to dent or break it or anything... something like this is too valuable to risk losing." He stroked the blade once, downward, imagining that it contained some sort of power that would seep into him from the sword, and then sighing. "I'm sure lucky that the Lord Gelitan bequeathed me such a splendid gift." He smiled at the man.

He tucked the blade securely into the bag, stepping back once he was satisfied, and then realizing he would have to mount the horse again. This time, with people watching. He decided to lead the horse down a ways- until he was far enough from the estate that nobody would pay attention, before whispering lightly into Buster's ear. "Can you give me a little help, Buster?"
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

The guards waved and gave the lad a warm farewell as he headed out, walking Buster until out of sight.

"What? Do I look like a camel that I should get on my knees? Lead me beside the fence, crawl onto the fence and get on from there," the horse remarked snidely.

"You have a great deal to learn about riding horses young man," the continued as Aden struggled to get in the saddle with the sword in hand.

"But ye've done very well at the first part of yer task," the horse added his voice becoming oddly like that of the swordmaster.

"Where'll we go now?"
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

Aden was surprised to here something like support in Buster's voice, but grinned wickedly. "Hey now, if you don't settle down and do your job, I'll send you to someone who could value you... but only for your hooves, if you catch my drift." The man chuckled, stroking the horse's neck reassuringly. "I'm glad that I'm finally doing something right. Even if I don't quite know why."

"I suppose we should go back to Hamsey's, and tell him we made the delivery." He shrugged- there wasn't anything else to say. "Besides, I can't wait to show Hamsey the neat sword that I got." The young man felt giddy, but tried to restrain himself- he was after all, a formal apprentice now, and should behave more appropriately.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

"Sure, we can do that," the horse assured his rider as they headed off back toward's the village and Hamsey.

"And sellin' me for ma hoof's 'd not be a good thing lad. How many talkin' steeds da ya hear tell of, now? Hmmmmm? Somethin' like that's ta be appreciated and cared for right proper now, it tis fer sure," the horse rattled on in the voice of Hamsey. Meanwhile, the road in front of them grew increasingly foggy and gray. Before long, the sun was a hazy glow above them, it's rays trying to penetrate the thick gray mist.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

Aden shivered as the fog began growing. There was something- almost, on the tip of his mind- that he thought he should recall, but couldn't quite place his finger upon. The fog- the obscuring mist... it meant something, and that something wasn't pleasant. So much had happened in the past few marks... he found concentrating difficult, especially as the mist continued to grow thicker, gradually coalescing until even the sun was partially obscured. The man drew his robe closer around him, shivering despite himself.

He stretched his shaking hand into the bag, after slowing Buster to a slow trot. He felt the enchanted blade in his hand, and pulled it out, trying his best to remain balanced on the steed while holding the sword in his hand, settling himself to the opposite side of the horse's back from the side where his hand held the sword.

He just prayed he wouldn't have to use it.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Plodding slowly forward, the fog had thickend to the point where everything was shrouded now. Even Buster's head was invisible and it was impossible to know where they were going or even if they were going save for the slow steady clomp of the horses' hooves hitting the ground accompanied with the shifting of his hips as he moved.

Suddenly, something reached out snagging the cloak that Aden had wrapped about himself. From the right side, something had grabbed the cloth and held on tightly. His attacker made no noise and seemingly no movement after attaching itself to the young man's clothing. From somewhere in the fog came the sound of a tiny shrill voice.

"Dorch bad! Come back to Sorcha!"
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Return to “On the Road Archive”