More or Less a Mermaid

Moderator: Mods

Syrawenn
Baroness of Creiddyladd

Post by Syrawenn »

Hush, hush,
There is no rush

A soft smile in her memory, or did someone really smile at her? The surroundings started to fade for Anarie as she sang the song she just heard.

Soft, steady
A step when you're ready

A part of the solid rock disappeared, leaving a hole with the faint outlines of a stone stairway leading down, visible to all. It had a dreamlike quality to it, yet it was there.

Zarkazar burst out against the greenster, threatening the creature with his slimy sword.

Little Lumi squealed and hid behind Anarie. The vision disappeared and everyone was thrown back into damp reality.

Little cold hands clasped the woman's arm, slowly warming to her touch and kind words. He did not let go just yet, waiting to see what the short tempered man would do. Right now Luminon was not quite sure whether he was going to make it out alive and staying safely behind the singer was his best chance!

There was talk of boxes and rescues. Mermaids were mentioned and slowly Luminon's eyes grew big. "You rescued Suria?" He cried out and jumped out from behind Anarie, right into the offered handshake, ignoring the sword altogether. "You hero! Why didn't you SAY so! You wouldn't harm me, would you? Not if you rescued Suria!"

He fully mirrored the smile- although less practiced, no less sincere. "Songs are the threads of reality." He intoned seriously after that. "That's why I trade them!"
[size=75]Gavin:She's the emerald eyed agent of chaos
Vanir:She's cute, it's her personality that gets in the way
Ulder:Syra is a great shredder of paralysis through analysis
Elvin:We call it the Law of Improbable Syrabilities

Post by Guest »

Zarkazar shook Lumi's hand and decided on a change of plan (he'd intended grabbing the greenster and threatening him). Instead, he'd go for a softly softly approach.
"Yes, I resued Suria. First from a pirate ship, and then from the pirate hunters who intended using her unique gifts for their own ends. They'd had her trapped in a box for some time. She said I'd be rewarded for my deeds, but left me here instead. I'm sure she had her reasons, I wonder if you know where I could find her to discuss them?
And songs are the threads of reality are they? Interesting...if only someone would have mentioned that sooner, I would've sung you one myself. Let's see, how's it go?
Women of the countryside,
Have no blushes left to hide,
They like to clean,
They like to cook,
But most of all, they like to-" Zarkazar stopped. "Maybe that's not an appropriate one at the moment. I don't want to drown in here, my emerald pal, so why don't we grab whatever treasure's in that chest and leave?"

Post by Guest »

Anarie snorted and rolled her aquamarine eyes, speaking to Luminon in Elvish. "I do not trust him, we should be wary. The chest had been moved behind Anarie and she continued to guard it, now knowing that while it didn't contain the kind of treasure that their less than ubiquitous "friend" wanted it was something worthwhile.

"The trunk is for having no treasure. What it is having is far more precious and 'we' are not for taking it anywhere. If it is leaving, and for asking Luminon we should of this, then I am for holding it. I am trusting none of you with item of precious as this." She glared at both Zarkazar, who had yet to be introduced properly to her, and Master William who seemed stunned into momentary silence and in-action.

Dainty hands were set on her hips as she continued speaking in her heavily accented and even more heavily broken Common. "Now, for getting out. That is what I was for trying to do before I was forced to discontinue. Then and now may I be so kind as to be allowed to being continued in thus?"

Anarie waited for silence before continuing the song from the beginning, her voice more sure and sincere this time.

Post by Guest »

Zarkazar resisted the temptation to speak; he'd hold his tongue for the time being. But if she thinks she's keeping the contents of that chest all for herself, after all the hassle I've been through, he thought, then she's sorely mistaken. She needs to learn Zarkazar's Redistribution of Wealth Policy.

Post by Guest »

Bahjek felt as if his lungs where going to burst as he held his breath in the water. Once on the dry ground again he breathed the sweet air. The elf chocked out the words, "Damn humans." Bahjek struggled to his feet so he could look William in the eyes and give him a peace of his mind. Maybe I should have gone for the neck. he thought as he glared at William.
Syrawenn
Baroness of Creiddyladd

Post by Syrawenn »

Enthusiastically Luminon kept shaking Zarkazar's hand. "You don't think this is reward?" He asked, genuinely surprised. "I think it's marvellous. Yupyup, I think it's wonderful. But then again, I'm used to it. Maybe you'll think it's a miracle." He nodded his head sagely.

At this Mackaree perked up. He eyed the box suspiciously, moving towards it through the still rising water. He kept his eyes on the strange conversationalists.

Anarie's words never distracted the greenster long enough to make him stop shaking Zarkazar's hand, pumping it up and down as if he wanted more water to come out of the man's mouth. "No, no, no, he rescued Suria, he can't be all bad. He did a good and noble thing!" The little being insisted in his softspoken Adhiel. To the non-Adhiel it was as if he sang a little song to the elegant woman.

The creature reverted back to the more common human language and giggled once he got the jest of the limerick. "You're a funny man. You should really listen to her. She knows what she's doing."

Luminon let go, jumped back on a rock and started a rhyme of his own:

"There once was a man from the sea
Who rescued the mermaid Suree
She left him behind
So he got to find
The treasure that he'll get from me!"

He giggled and gasped when Anarie set in the ancient lullabye again. As soon as the first two sentences were out in the air another voice joined in, female as before when the woman had heard it for the first time. Together they sang the next two lines as again the opening appeared out of nowhere, revealing a staircase leading down.

Hush, hush,
There is no rush
Soft, steady
A step when you're ready.

Instead of moving on, the song repeated itself, getting stuck and growing stronger at the same time. The illusion shed shadows and light, becoming more tangible with every note.

With big eyes the little being watched the proceedings, then quickly moved to push the remainders of the box into Anarie's direction. Yet at the same time Mackaree moved in to intercept the contents, a dagger coming out of his very wet sleeve in the blink of an eye.

The water was rising dangerously fast now, almost overflowing the chest. Mackaree slashed, Luminon shreaked as green liquid dropped into the water and the man made a serious grab for the papers before the water could get to them.

Chaos was complete once again, yet the song was at it's strongest, urging them to take that first step before it vanished for good.

Post by Guest »

The uniquely tall adhiel kin fetteran was losing her patience and it was with an irritated roll of her eyes that she began the song again as that other ethereal voice joined in. It gave Anarie's voice an echoing quailty which was made more prevelant when the song repeated many times over. The mahogany and sunsilk haired elfess watched the "magical" opening with awe and a wide smile.

That smile faded when she saw Mackaree making his way for the chest. "Nau!" She cried out in her native tongue and quickly grabbed the papers. Her mind didn't have the time to process any coherent thought as, with the ancient lyrics held to her chest, she made a mad lung for the stairwell that had appeared like a godsend. The water was heading her progress but her movements were sure.

Post by Guest »

Zarkazar looked at the magically appearing doorway, his jaw slightly slack. He hadn't seen its previous appearance because he'd been busy blinding a sea monster (what a day!). Then Mackaree burst into action. Zarkazar reacted as quickly as he could; he ran over to Mackare and aimed a solid punch at him; Zarkazar didn't know how bad the greenster was hurt, but he intended grabbing Lumi and dragging him with him through the mystical doorway, following Anarie.
Syrawenn
Baroness of Creiddyladd

Post by Syrawenn »

When you're ready

They certainly were, barging through the doorway one after the other. Pain and surprise alternated on the little green face while he looked at the wound in his side. Disappointment followed when Anarie grabbed the precious papers and darted off with no appearant interest in the little one's wellbeing.

With drooped shoulders Lumi stared at the woman's back, only to be picked up roughly by the one that was probably the last person he expected to care at all!

Right before Zarkazar managed to grab the green creature his fist collided with the bald man's jaw, felling him on the spot. Mackaree disappeared under water once again, for once having run into an obstacle that was not intimidated by his knife or wits.

Through the doorway.
Walking through the thinnest layer of ice.
Chills all over.
Steps leading down.

Down

Down

Silence

Darkness

Up. The song changed.

Quick, swift
Avoid the rift
Know how
A second step now

Anarie's foot suddenly encountered nothing, the other still on the step.

Post by Guest »

OOC: I must have skimmed your previous post because I didn't even know that Mackaree had a dagger or that Luminon had been stabbed or I would have reacted. Oh well, we will just go with Anarie being too full of adrenaline to get the frack out of there. That last line Syra? Dayum.

IC: Anarie could hear her mother's voice in her head for a moment, but that was impossible because her mother had died shortly before Anarie took her first breath of air. Still it was there, like the gentle song that had come before. "Watch thy step little one." Perhaps the voice of a mother that she had heard in her dreams.

It seemed that there was no step to watch for with one foot in the opening and the other on the hard stone behind her there was seemingly no subtance. Anarie let out a yell before her eternally clumsy balance came to fore and her body came forward and into the opening, her steady foot leaving the step as the gravity of her body turned traitor.

In that moment the only sound Anarie could hear with any clarity was her heart pounding in her ears, like a loud drum. Then the moment that she waited for the shock of what was to come . . .ticks of time that seemed to drag on for burns.

Post by Guest »

Zarkazar was running through darkness, with the bleeding Lumi over his shoulder. Not that he was fond of the creature, but it was amusing enough in a frustrating kind of way. A bit like himself perhaps. And it didn't really deserve to be stabbed. He was running for three reasons; he didn't want the portal closing and trapping him in the cave, he didn't want the sea creature attacking him again and he didn't want the woman who had snatched the treasure to leave his sight.
As such he charged straight ahead, following her, with little caution and even less common sense.
Syrawenn
Baroness of Creiddyladd

Post by Syrawenn »

ooc
Skimming can be lethal :evilbat:

ic
Once Anarie was far enough from the newly formed opening the song faded and the portal collapsed. It left the running party without light of any kind. No wonder there was nothing to watch for: who could watch for anything without a light to guide them?

Yet adrenalin does strange things to a body, human or not: somehow the mind was still interpreting what was visible only flickers before and translating them into proper actions for the body.

Yet those details unnoticed before had no place in the mental picture. Anarie's foot jerked for lack of impact and stepped into thin air. Momentum betrayed the woman, sending her feet first into the rift she had been warned for.

Zarkazar might have been the saviour of the day once again, if things had not been so incredibly dark; if he was not carrying a wounded little sea elf over his shoulder; if he had not been charging; if he had had more common sense...if....if...if....

No footing.

No holds.

Luminon screamed. It echoed between the sturdy stone surroundings that were never close enough to grab. His big, green eyes shone softly with the residue of the cave's lights, never enough to show their new environment.

The rapid air movement sent their hair up and assaulted every tender part of the face.

Time passed

Or maybe not.

Down.

Down.

Stop and look
At the road you took
If someone dares
Down the third stairs

Soft patches emenated a greenish light, blurring into stripes.

Suddenly the slippery green creature disappeared from Zarkazar's shoulder. The scream now sounded from far, far below. There was more coherence to it, but it was very hard to make out.

"...INK...WHERE...OU...WAN....BEE!"

Stripes of green.
Wooshing of air.
Faster and faster.

"..THINK...ERE....OU.....WANNA.......EEE!"

Closer.
To the ground.
The hard ground.

Post by Guest »

OOC: Well I'm back for now. 8)

Bahjek watched William fall into the water as he did so, the achadhiel laughed; he decided that William should die in a watery grave.

As Bahjek hurried after Zarkazar, he stumbled several times. "I hope William dies a horrible death. That stupid human derserves it." he said coldly to himself. Before Bahjek knew what was happening it felt like he was falling.
Last edited by Guest on Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Syrawenn
Baroness of Creiddyladd

Post by Syrawenn »

OOC
This is your wake up call....
Things have just become rather deadly after your last posts.
Think very carefully on your next posts!

Post by Guest »

OOC: Sorry but there isn't much to think about. We are falling through empty air and . . . that's it. So until we get some more information we can't post much. At least I know I can't do anything until you write some more. I heard on the grapevine you are planning on killing our characters. I have not been consulted in this matter and plan on continuing to play.

IC:

Anarie closed her eyes tightly concentrating on nothing but a singular thought, a prayer. As in times of need through her life she again turned to her 'father' Illuminatus, father to all his 'children'.

In doing so she imagined a brilliant light, brighter than the sun, only it didn't make her eyes sting from heat and brilliance. Instead she could look into that light and see everything good and wonderful in the world. In that place of delicate perfection and grace she asked only to be saved from death.

It was a singular wish and it kept her sane as she descended through blackness.
Last edited by Guest on Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post by Guest »

As Zarkazar fell the sea elf's garbled words reached his ears, muffled by the rushing wind caused by plummeting at what was surely terminal velocity. Is he saying 'think where you want to be?'. Zarkazar didn't relish death, but neither was he terrified; whichever God greeted him on the other side, he'd spit in it's eye and demand some answers. Think where I want to be? A tavern, at the Citadel, that's where you daft green bastard! All this happened at the speed of thought (which is faster than terminal velocity); Zarkazar pictured a tavern, thought of the sounds of laughter and mugs clinking and music; thought of the smells, pipe smoke and wine and ale and cheap, alluring perfume. As he did so his hands were still grasping outwards, reaching either for a miraculous and unlikely handhold, or for the sea elf (in case it had some method of mystical escape).

Post by Guest »

As the half elf fell he started to wish he was somewhere else; it really did not matter to him where he was as long as he was safe. Bahjek's stomach and muscles tightened as he waited for the impact of the hard ground.

Maybe it would be nice to be with the others. Yeah I think I would like to say good bye to them, after all, we have been through a lot together. Some place outdoors with lots of trees maybe, but, I do not think that Zarkazar would like that too much. Bahjek thought as his hair was hitting his face.
Maeve
The Dragon & Game Designer

Post by Maeve »

Anarie Laizuriel wrote:OOC: Sorry but there isn't much to think about. We are falling through empty air and . . . that's it. So until we get some more information we can't post much. At least I know I can't do anything until you write some more. I heard on the grapevine you are planning on killing our characters. I have not been consulted in this matter and plan on continuing to play.

Can I just interfere here for a brief moment. First of all.. this is a wonderful thread, wonderfully modded especially, with much creativity, and followed by a large part of our community. That a person is not always sure what to answer in reply is understandable but perhaps not always fair to reflect back to your moderator. Perhaps there are things you could have done to make things easier on yourself.

I know from previous correspondence that has been CC-ed to us that you've been given ample opportunity to discuss this with Syra and find this sour OOC note unnneccessary and grieving, ESPECIALLY from an ex-staffer. I will therefor ask that you edit your tone of voice out of the thread and take it to PM, per our Terms of Service regarding friendliness and courtesy.

Regarding the killing of characters: this is not a permission based system. You will get fair warning that unless your PC changes her actions death is inevitable. Other than that.. the decision is for your moderator to assign consequences for your actions or lack of actions and that might include death. That is true even for the PC's of GD's which I'm sure also was mentioned in said grapevine.
Last edited by Maeve on Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]

Post by Guest »

OOC: It was not sour and was not intended to be sour. If you or any other took it as such than I apologize but you read intent where there was none to be found. It was not born of a malicious intent. I was simply conveying my lack of knowledge on the subject and that I had not been "warned" consulted or otherwise spoken to about any such action other than by a third party member who was also fired. As a staff member and site member I also remember that the Tazlure Guidelines clearly stated that one had to consult a characters owner if they intended on killing off that character or least wise PM them. Syrawenn, my moderator, doesn't seem upset so I'm assuming she didn't take it badly either since she knows how I talk and my mannerisms. If she does she can speak to me personally since she and I are friends. Now on with the show if our lady Dragon doesn't mind that is:) Again I apologize for having offended you Tanya.

IC:

Tomes of darkness were but a minor filigry at this time. Unscertainty was more the enemy than time, the ever tricky lover. Still the half-elf rembered as in many instances before stories that shared similarities to this, though the dark tale that had been regalled to her as an elfling was one that created tapestries of nightmare and shadow. Nothing anyone would want to remember . . . but remember it she did. A tale of elves long past who commited a mortal sin and were cast into the depths of the abyss by Illuminatus. It was only a story, she had thought. One used to convey the importance of being earnest to the listener. Now however Anarie worried that it might have been true and that she might now at this very instant be thrust into a descent to the pits of the Nether realm for some immoral sin she had comittied in her short life.
Maeve
The Dragon & Game Designer

Post by Maeve »

OOC: Not consult.. inform. This third party member and you are having a fun time speculating (and I dare say said third party is familiar with the concept Characterdeath), but I'd like to suggest you leave the grapvine the grapevine for a change and listen to what Syrawenn has been telling you. Your behavior is increasingly annoying in that you are ignoring any moderation provided and put up a rude tone too, showing you to be a lazy kind of player that is not appreciative of all the time and attention Syra gave to posts (my words, not Syra's). I'm interfering here because a complaint has been lodged by your moderator about your tone after repeated warnings. At this point Syrawenn refuses to mod you further after a final post which will switch you to another mod. I must say you are the first to get Syra to lose her patience.

I apologize to the other players for this public debate, but sometimes when players act in front of an audience we have no choice but to react in kind. I suggest we take any further discussion to PM.
Last edited by Maeve on Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]
Syrawenn
Baroness of Creiddyladd

Post by Syrawenn »

"Did they open the portal?" Nathanial Montega raised an eyebrow at the notorious twins.

"Aye, sir, they did. We haven't interfered in any way." Amos responded -or was it Kito?

"They figured it out all by themselves." His twin chimed in. "They went through and took the green one with them. We found two survivors, though, of which one was rather drenched and the other..."

He shot a look at his brother before continueing. "The other is...not entirely well, it seems. I think he might have been in the caves for too long...ya know, the forgotten caves..."

Montega nodded. "There is a good reason they call it Spirit Rock, my friends. You did well. I am sure they will find their own path from here. At least the Song is out in the world again. Thank you."

Amos and Kito saluted and left the cabin, leaving their captain to muse over the happenings of the last days. "We might just have made a difference." He mumbled, looking out of the small window.

On deck a raging Mackaree was being brought to his bunk forcefully by Beerbelly Johnsson. A rather dazed Natean was treated with much more kindness, carefully guided to a cabin of his own.

The sails caught the wind.
Off they went.
Back to the world of the living.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Falling...
Falling...
Falling...

"THINK WHERE YOU WANNA BE!"

An incredibly bright, kind light.
An inn in the Citadel.
With 'the others'.
In a forest.

Bright light.
Anarie was no longer falling, but flying. The light beckoned, warm arms awaiting.

"Welcome Anarie." A strangely ambiguous voice echoed. "We are glad to receive you."

The light was so strong, it was so hard to see who the voice belonged to. Yet something touched her heart....deeper....her soul and suddenly there was no denying the truth:

She had gotten exactly what she'd wished for.

Illuminatus!

An inn in the Citadel
Zarkazar was falling. The wind tore at his clothes and face when suddenly...

CRASH

Wooden pieces of ruined furniture. Shouts and shocked cries. The smell of stale beer and good porridge.

Maybe with the others....maybe in a forest...maybe...maybe...
Bahjek was no longer falling, but floating in between. Stars blinked on and off around the Adhiel, some mocking his indecision, others urging him to stay in doubt.

Nothing tangible.
No light, save the stars.
In between
In doubt.
In limbo.

But at least no longer falling.

Cliffs arise
The dream collapses
Drifting sailors all go down
All is silent
Sailors sleep
Under the ocean's deep blue gown

When mermaids sing

ooc
You will all receive a pm soon stating where your next thread will start. Thank you for making this an unforgettable journey which has far surpassed the original tabletop version.
Syrawenn
Baroness of Creiddyladd

Post by Syrawenn »

Skilled!

You will all be remembered in songs :)

Syra, 10-30-05