Influx of Marines:Vincent du Valenté (22nd Late Morningtide)

Moderator: Mods

Jadmai
Civus

Influx of Marines:Vincent du Valenté (22nd Late Morningtide)

Post by Jadmai »

Not even a full day had passed since the nobles had agreed to pass new incentives to the populice for doing military service. The largest measure with the formal name: The Staggered Land For Service Act guaranted land to Muchislie Marines after certain measures of service. Of course the individuals would have to hash out a lot of details, the act was honest--Muchislie has the land, and now they wanted the soliders.

A soft drizzle softened the ground underneath Vincent's feet as he stood outside--which up until a few days ago was a large vacant field--the Muchislie Marine recruit barracks.

The crowd was large on this day, and despite the dreary overcast wheather, there seemed to be a buzz amongst all the young men and women who stood waiting to enlist. As Vincent would stand and wait his turn in line, he would finally catch the chatter that was sparking the crowd.

Ceasar Anochrim, the leader of all the Seven Isles, had died last night.

Perhaps it was also this fact that prompted the sudden surge of potential marines, nearly all seemed to speak of it at least, but what no one truly spoke of was, what would happen next.

Finally Vincent, would reach the front of the line, and he was now face to face with an old retired warrant officer, dressed in formal uniform, but still with bow straddled over their shoulders.

The older man had his head down writing, it's shaved bald surface started to collect mositure, he didn't even bother to look up at first, when he started to ask his first few questions.

"What's ya name? Last name first, then first name. Where are ya from if not Muchislie?" He finally looked at up at Vincent and with obvious curosity stared him in his two different colored eyes. "And do you have a craft which you practiced before you decided to enlist?"

After Vincent had answered all the questions, he would be shown a simple contract, a promise of three yahren of his life.

"Sign that, if ya understand you will be in service for at least three yahren with Muchislie Marines."

As soon as his name was placed on the paper, a yell from inside the barracks could be heard, it was coarse, and at first it would hard to tell it was aimed at him, until fingers started to get pointed, "Hey you! YES YOU! Get over here, on the run."

The voice eminated from a mountain of man, who had a score of recruits in front of him, "Get over here, and take a knee. Let's do an introduction: My names sir, who are you?"
"...war is the last flower on the evil tree."-- Betrand Russel

Post by Guest »

Vincent had heard news of the Caesar's death, which saddened him. Their leader had passed away, which gave him all the more reason to join the Marines. Apparently, other people had the same thought, as the barracks was quite crowded.

The Staggered Land for Service Act had brought a lot of people to Muchislie Marine barracks. Vincent had thought that he would be one of the only ones to show, figuring not many people would give their life for a cause greater than themselves. While he was glad a lot of people had showed, it increased his chances of getting 'cut'. So, he decided he would do everythingh in his power to stand out.

Watching the moisture collect on the man's bald head, Vincent answered his questions as confidently as possible. "My name is Vincent du Valenté, and Muchislie is my homeland." When the officer looked into his eyes, he recognized yet another puzzled face. "I would only fight for Muchislie if it was my homeland." With a wink, Vincent answered the man's last question, "I've no particuliar craft that I've practiced before entering."

Vincent quickly signed his name to the parchment and hustled over to the mountain of a man. He quickly kneeled jsut like the other recruits, and swallowed hard. And people used to say I was big....

"Sir, I'm Vincent du Valenté."
Last edited by Guest on Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Jadmai
Civus

Post by Jadmai »

The big brute of a man who had just asked Vincent his name, actually seemed to not pay attention to his response, but rather taking a head count. His wide face, with an extremely angular jaw, and pug nose seemed a little lost in concentration, until he finally turned back towards Vincent.

"I don't think you will be hearing 'Vincent' too much anymore. From now on you will be, Private du Valenté, Welcome to the Muchislie Marines, Private Du Valenté. That goes for all of you, you are all privates. From this moment on when your name is asked, you will respond, with Private, then your last name. All papers you sign will have private on them, and your full name afterwards.

"You will notice when you get your uniforms, you will be lacking something that I have--well many things, but mainly, this:" At this point, sir, as he called himself, turned his shoulder and revealed three gold stripes. "Stripes that show rank people You will learn about them from your barracks leader. But what you learn right now, is when you pass anyone, anyone with more stripes than you--you had better stop and salute. If you don't do that you might find yourself working every mark of a day, as penalty--and don't think that is overtime. One last thing before equipment, look around you. These are the men and women in your training squad called: Ribsi Squad A."

'Sir' suddenly clapped his huge hands together, "Privates on your feet!" He pointed to his right where long table stood with several civilians standing behind it, a vast sea of backpacks and sacks lay behind him. "It's gonna seem like your birthday, because it's time for equipment. Follow me on the run."

As soon as they reached the table, 'Sir', grabbed what seemed like regular backpack, and lifted above his head so the whole squad could see, "Does everyone see this? This will become your new best friend for the rest of the time you call yourself. You may be ask, 'But sir, that is just a back pack', and that's a presumtion, and you know what they say when you presume things: it makes you an ass." 'Sir' turned the bag and faced one of the sides of bags towards the private. "This backpack is water proof, but that is not the fancy part boys and girls. This metal opening, is like that of a cantine--except we don't water in it, we put air in it, with a bellows." Sir took a small bellows, it fit perfectly inside, and he quickly pushed it down and pulled it up several times, and the outside of lining of the pack began to inflate. Sir quickly pulled the bellow out and recapped the metal opening.

"Now, it's called a floatsack. Cleverly named, because it's a sack...that floats. However, you cannot float on it, I repeat, YOU cannot float on it. It won't hold your weight, but it will hold your armor, your quiver, and that's about it. The way it is used is, you hold it infront of you in water in which is too deep, and paddle with your feet behind it. This device is only thing that makes us amphibous, otherwise, we are just a damn wussy army--and you're Muchislie Marines now, and be damn proud of it! Now lineup to get the rest of your gear!"

Sir's fiery ice-blue eyes actually seemed to calm at this time, as he crossed his arms, and observed the lines forming up. The width of the man was amazing, and as Vincent passed he could see how the man was even a whole taller than him. Sir hadn't given his name out yet, but he was doing his job so far, and that's all this placed seemed to ask.

As Vincent made his way to the front of the line, where an adhiel is his later years stood standing behind the table. His white hair went down his back in a loose braid. He had a wide smile for Vincent as he stepped up to the desk. Though the adhiel was clearly aged he still had all his wits about him, and he had a good lithe body still.

"Hello their, Private!" He greeted Vincent. "I'm Navik, we have all the standard goods that you will need, but you may use your own, as long as it fits regulation--that armor defintely does, but ya just need the formal three star broach--one for each count. Now it seems you got a bow and sword too. Can I help ya at all, there young Private? Ah, I see your quiver is empty, the bow and won't do you any good against an orc, unless you plan on using harsh words to hurt it's feelings." Navik placed fourty arrows onto desk. "There ya go! And oh, yes!" He turned and with some effort, placed the demonstrated floatsack on the table, "You're new best friend. Now, if you make a list of the things you bought for yourself, the Muchislie Marines will reimburse you some, and or give you a couple of days leave. You can fill it out on this parchment, and I will see that it gets to where it needs to go. So, can I do anything else for ya?" The eager ahiel smiled at Vincent, obviously he had a respect for all the marines, and was glad to give a hand to those who protected his home.

Post by Guest »

Vincent felt a little insulted that the brute didn't pay attention to him when he had stated his name. Why did he ask me it, if he didn't even care to here it?With a slight shrug to himself, Vincent continued to study the man, noticing his wide face, extremely angular jaw, and pug nose. Well, Illuminatus blessed him with height, certainly, but not looks. Vincent was about to chuckle to himself with that last remark when the man looked back at him.

Private du Valenté now? Well, it does have a sort of ring to it. Vincent had a pretty clear picture of what his life would be like now. A small sense of regret was building up.

Listening carefully to the man, Vincent began to note things in his head to remember. Stripes equals salute, got it. The brute was a very convincing man, Vincent sure as hell didn't want to be working every mark of the day. After all, his plan was to stick out as much as possible in the eyes of his superiors, so penalties wouldn't be helping that. "Ribsi Squad A," Vincent whispered to himself. He seemed to enjoy hearing that he was part of a squad. Seems I haven't been cut yet.

When 'Sir' commnaded the privates to their feet, Vincent bolt up, and hustled over to where 'Sir' wanted the recruits to go. After all, Vincent liked the idea of getting presents.

Upon arriving to his new equipment, Vincent was awed by the enginuity of them. He was especially amazed at the floatpack, it was such a clever idea. That way, his stuff wouldn't get ruined, and he very much liked that idea.

While walking to the older adhiel, Vincent was amazed to see that 'Sir' was so much bigger than himself. When he reached the adhiel though, his confidence was returned. He enjoyed the respect he was getting from the man very much. "Thanks for the arrows, I....didn't quite have the funds to purchase any," Vincent lied. How could you forget arrows? Honestly..."A reimbursement sounds nice, thanks." Vincent quickly filled out the parchment, not wanting to make his fellow privates wait any longer all because of him. Vincent picked up his new floatsack, and looked around. It occurred to him he had no idea where to head to now, so he settled on asking the adhiel where to go, figuring he wouldn't be mocked for it. "Where to now, sir?"
Jadmai
Civus

Post by Jadmai »

As Vincent asked the adhiel were to go next, he shrugged, but he could feel a gaint hand clasp his shoulder, and it was Sir.

"You moved fast for a fellow your size." He said almost begrudingly. "It seems my mind is slipping, I forgot to tell you to head to the barracks afterwards. "Do me a favor, round up the squad, and tell my orders are for them to enter those barracks there, inside you recieve a little more instruction, but after that you boys and girls are mine."

At that he walked away, and left Vincent to do what was asked of him.

Post by Guest »

Vincent was full of uncertainty when the adhiel shrugged. He was confused as to where to go, and his only thought was to just stand there and see what happened. When 'Sir' clasped his shoulder, he almjost jumped out of his skin. I hope I didn't jump. Illuminatus, I hope I didn't jump.

When 'Sir' began to compliment Vincent on his speed, he was once again filled with confidence. Listening carefully to the man's orders, he gave a proper salute and ran off to tell his squad what to do next. He was glad 'Sir' was making him out to be the leader, whether he knew it or not. Being the first to give orders usually showed who was in command, so Vincent would try to stay in this role as long as possible.

After informing all the men, he led them to the barracks, and awaited their next instructions.
Jadmai
Civus

Post by Jadmai »

Perhaps for the first time in Vincent's life he could see how easy it was to take command and become a leader with the simple tool of confidence. The other soliders were asking each other where they should go to next, and even most who took a guess had it right, but where to afraid to venture out on there own, so when Vincent finally put some order to their confusion they clung to it like it was lifeforce, and followed him like sheep.

The barracks where simple buildings to say the least, long rectangles, with door at each end. A voice rang across the field telling all new recruits to enter their barracks and pick there bunks.

Each one was identical, one bunk, one bedroll, and underneath one small chest. Two rows with ten on each side.

As they picked their bunks, from the door at the other end of the barracks entered a lithe, slight, elfess. Still, though she lacked in stature, the way the bow cradled across her back, gave a feeling of being ready to snap into action at first sight of it. A gold stripe graced her sleeve, on her perfectly kept uniform.

"My name is Master Sergent Tinelly." She spoke up over the din. "I will be master over your quarters--in short, I'm going to be babysitting you recruits. I also answer any basic questions you might have. In a few days, you will vote for a squad leader, which will be my proxy. It will his or her job to keep this barrack in line, as well as the general squad. It ain't a job of glory--all the crap falls on your head, from your fellow soliders deeds."

"Now for the really mundane, entering on todays date, Samsheen 22nd. The pay rate for a private is 6 circlet, and 1 lance. You are the highest paid military force probably in all of Tazlure, and you will earn it. Curfew for the base is the last mark of tradetide, barracks is the last mark of tradetide."

She walked down the row of new recruits as she spoke giving each a glance, "After I am done talking to you here, you will go out for basic weapon training, which you will do every day, however doing patrol the city will count as three to one. Real time spent is much more valueble, and we encourage it. So yes, after I dismiss you, you will go bash each other around, flings some arrows about, and then you will have the honor of meeting the general."

She seemed to be near ready to dismiss the group when suddenly she started asking questions to random recruits for example, 'Why did you join?' 'What rank do you hope to achieve?'

Finally she turned towards Vincent, "And you, Private..." she let him fill in his name. "In what way are going to serve the Muchislie Marines. And I do not mean in which manner, I'm asking: Do you have any idea what your inner goal is? Are you going to become a great archer? Navigator? Aim for the elite? Quick with your response, and why you feel that practice is your calling."

Post by Guest »

Vincent couldn't help but smile to himself as he walked the men to the barracks. It had been so easy to take charge and lead these men to where he had wanted them to go. They had followed him like moths to a fire, and it gave him confidance that he coulds really lead men into battle. I'll have to make sure to have more information then the rest of these mens, if I want to stay in charge. From what I've seen, these men will follow anyone when they do not know what to do.

And then he saw the simple, rectangular barracks. The smile quickly dropped from his face as he went inside. They were all identical, one bunk, one bedroll, and one small chest which he assumed was a place to store his things. Vincent had expected something much more, maybe even a house like his father's, to which each man would stay. He quickly realized how foolish a thought it had been, and vowed to never make such unrealistic assumptions.

Vincent was quick to choose a bunk closest to the door, he wanted to be the first any ranking officer would see if they came in, and in best earshot to hear everything they would say.

In fact, his jaw had almost dropped when his strategem had actually worked. Well, his jaw had almost dropped at the sight of the lithe elfess, but he attributed it to his growing skill at recognizing how to take charge. At the sight of the golden stripe on her sleeve, Vincent immediately saluted, hoping the men would follow in his lead. 'Sir' had carefully instructed them to always salute when someone of higher rank walked past them.

When the name "Master Seargent Tinelly" came out of her mouth, Vincent was given an alterior motivation to quickly reach the higher ranks. He knew the only way to get this beatiful elfess in front of him was to become her rank or better. Even though his mind had been quite distracted, he did listen to her quite carefully, making sure not to oggle at her with his eyes. When she mentioned that being a squad leader was not about glory, but about the crap on your head from the shoulders, he wanted to cringe. Still, he resisted, telling himself that this road would lead to glory, but it was through battle. I don't know if I could trust my life with any of these guys, so I have to make sure their lives are in mine.

It perplexed Vincent why the master sargeant would be asking men completely different questions. When she got to him, and asked him his set of questions, it all became clear. She doesn't want us to be able to think of our answers ahead of time. He quickly thought of his response, and began to answer her questions.

"Sir, my inner calling is to become the leader of these good men here, so I can lead them to the elite." with a quick breath, and some minor thinking, he continued to elaborate. "If they follow me, I'll make sure they become the best damn archers in the Marines, with your guidance of course. Everyone will know the name Ribsi Squad A!" Vincent sorely hoped that his answer would bring the men to his vision, and show the master sargeant who should be in charge of these men.
Jadmai
Civus

Post by Jadmai »

Officer Tinelly nodded at Vincent's answer, and continued to walk down the line to question the last few. Vincent had certainly been right about the officer not wanting to give any of the recruits time to think. The last few that were questioned, completely stammered over their answers and Master Sergeant Tinelly did make it easy on them by barking at them to speak as they were having troubles with their answers. Tinelly had defintely done this before, and seemed like she almost enjoyed making those recruits uncomfortable.

When the elfess officer had finshed open, she walked back from where the door she came from. "Seven of you didn't salute, I am sure you know who you are, now hit the floor and give 75 pushups, and you can exlain to the Warrant Officer why you are late for your martial exercises. That's where the rest are going next, after I dismiss you, you will leave through this door, to the practice yards. There you will find 'Sir' as I am sure he introduced himself as. He will pair you up into groups of two, and you will be with that partner far beyond this introductory training. You are dismissed--unless you are still doing push-ups."

Some marines boltered out the door past Tinelly, of course slowing to give a salute. She stopped a few and talked to them in private for just a few flickers, and let them go. She talked especially long to the ones who had trouble with her impomptu questions.

As Vincent would make his way by her, she would nod at him, "Private, may I have word? She said stepping aside like she did before when she pulled some other marines to the side. When she had him out of direct ear shot of the others passing by she spoke up, "I wouldn't worry about making Ribsi Sqaud A well know--it's just a name right now to make sure you know where you belong. By and by it's also 'Sir's' last name in case you were wondering. However, you made an excellent point about making the marines around you better. Now that quality, or the goal to have that quality is very important. For, even if that kind of marine is not the best marksmen or swordhand, if they make the entire squad, unit, etc. work better, then they are considered indispensable, but your fellow marines will need to trust you."

Tinelly paused for a moment and looked down, "You know," she said raising her head, "there is something you said in your answer that was completely wrong. I know that we marines all wear a standard uniform, and may be hard to tell who is who. But I believe you probably noticed that I am woman, when you address me, it should be mam, not sir." She smirked a little to show that the infraction was not anything major, and perhaps he said sir without even realizing it. "Alright, private, you're dismissed." She said letting him go, but then she stopped him again, "Private, what's your name, so I keep an eye on you?" She waited for his response, and then let him go to the yards.

Outside, Sir or Officer Ribsi was outside waiting, he asked the group to form a line in front of him, he quickly noticed that he was well short of twenty warm bodies.

"I'm missing seven marines, someone want to explain that?" His tone very gruff, and unsatisfied.

He wanted to see if anyone would answer, and then went on walking up and down the shortened line of marines, "I'm about to pair you up, with a partner, a buddy. Some marines have had the same partner their entire career, in fact it's not uncommon if they choose the same mode of service. You are responsible for each other, you will look for each other, you will be held accountable for each other--clearly you must work as a team--I will do my best to pair you up so you have complimentry skills, but just meeting you loafer--it's a hard science. When I pair you up, go and stand in front of a target."

Slowly Ribsi eyed up the group and went about his decisions slowly, picking out the first pair, who then went and stood in front of a archery target shaped like a man. Vincent was second to be paired up, and his parter would be quite interesting.

A half-elf, perhaps a hand shorter than Vincent, the muscles were slender, yet quite defined in the shoulders. Her blonde hair was hung in a braid over her shoulder, as she looked meekly at Vincent and headed to a target.

While there she looked back at Officer Ribsi still picking out pairs and at Vincent, "Az'luze" She said quitely, "Lanal Az'luze is my name, I guess we are buddies."

Post by Guest »

Vincent let out a sigh as the Sargeant walked away from him. She had not scolded him, so he had to assume that his answer was somewhat good. What did we say about assumptions? Listening to the other men stammer with their answer and then seeing Tinelly bark at them was one of the most funny sites he had ever seen. He had to walk away and hold his mouth with his hands to not laugh.

When the 7 men had to do pushups, Vincent was too happy for words. Looks like listening to the big man actually helped. Vincent began to walk towards the door, passing by the men doing 75 pushups. He noticed the Sargeant having private conversations with some of the men, especially the ones with the impromptu answers. Upon pondering what they were saying, Vincent began to frighten himself more and more. He certainly didn't want to be embarressed. I told you not to assume you were in the clear!

It was finally Vincent's turn, and the Sargeant pulled him aside for their chat. He was pleasantly surprised about the advice Tinelly was giving him. He certainly thought he was going to be barked at.

Then he was told he had made a mistake, and his face immediately turned grave. I don't want to do pushups, Oh Illuminatus, don't make me do pushups. When she told him that his mistake was only that he had said sir instead of ma'm, he wished to jump for joy. He quickly stifled that thought, knowing full well that course of action would get him pushups. Beliving he had been dismissed, he started to walk away when she pulled him in one last time. "Ma'm, my name's Vincent du Valenté," he said with a salute. He walked briskly to the courtyard, he couldn't wait for the lessons in combat.

Outside, 'Sir', was waiting for them. Vincent lined up with the others, remembering they were a few men short. Of course, Ribsi had realized this too, and asked the men what had happened. Vincent gladly volunteered his aid to the mountain of a man. "There doing pushups, sir. They forgot to salute their superior."

Vincent listened carefully to Ribsi talk about partners. I hope I don't get some idiot farmboy. Yeah, I know, it's going to happen. It seemed Illuminatus was blessing him this day, since he had been partnered up with none other than an achadhiel.

She was shorter than himself, slender with defined shoulders. Always was a sucker for blondes. His thoughts were interrupted when she told him her name. "I'm Vincent du Valenté, glad to be your buddy." When Vincent was finally able to stop thinknig about how lucky he was, he started to understand why Ribsi had paired them together. She most likely has speed, due to her heritage. This will compliment my strength no doubt. Judging by her shoulders, she probably can use that bow to deadly effect. Maybe Ribsi assumes I'll be good with a sword.

Vincent took one last look down the line, seeing all the pairs. He was eager to show what he could do, and believed Ribsi had given made these two the perfect pair.
Jadmai
Civus

Post by Jadmai »

Ribsi looked over at the line of pairs standing infront of their targets, and besides the others that were doing push-ups the job had been done. He walked the line of marines and stated instructions of each marine shooting five arrows into their targets, then the other marine firing the same amount, and with that he let them open fire.

Az'luze stepped up to the line and readied to fire, "Do you have a preference in weapon?" She asked in her soft voice, her shyness barely making her audible.

Then she causually drew back, and held for a moment and fired, the arrow made it's sound of a very large gnat or other over-sized insect as it made a line towards the target.

The human shaped target made of hay had two colorings on it, one was blue and it circled around the throat, the most obvious spot an archer would long for if he or she could guide the arrow themselves. The second colored section was the heart, fittingly in red, a fine shot almost always, save for against the most heaviest of armors.

Az'luze arrow, the deadly projectile with no morals, struck with uncanny accuracy into the blue section. Directly in the middle.

"My parents used to put me into archery contents--it was fun--extra coin. Recently lost our home though, and nothing pays like Muchislie Marine, so here I am, just hoping I do well enough to get some land back for us."

The next four shots were fired rapidly, she simply pulled one arrow after another out of quiver and let go. In the end, she had two in the throat and two in the red heart area, and one just of the red spot.

She simply shrugged at her only 'miss' and turned to Vincent, "What about you Vincent, you join for a particular reason? Oh, and I guess it's your turn." She said stepping back her head down.

Post by Guest »

The excitement was really getting to Vincent as he watched the archers stand up to the line. It almost caused him to miss the shy, achadhiel's question. I wish she'd speak up a little, I can barely hear the poor thing. "To be honest, I don't know which weapon I prefer. I like the feeling of staying away from the opponent and using my bow, but I also like the adrenaline rush of staring in the face of my enemy with a sword." a shrug accompanied Vincent's answer to help show the indifference.

He watched as the Lanal casually drew back her bow and held it there. She's tronger than she looks. Vincent watched as the whizzing arrow struck the target's blue circle, right where a man's throat would be. He was amazed further at the woman's speed at shooting off the arrows.

"That's a really terrible thing to have happen to your family, though I'm sure you guys will get through it alright. Now that we're 'buddies' I wouldn't even mind giving you some of my pay, I know how tough life can be." Vincent was surprised at his generosity, but he knew thw woman would probabaly not accept his help. Though she may have looked meek, he could tell there was a lot of pride in her.

The feeling of regret started to come back after he was Lanal's shrug off her 'miss'. He knew that she probably didn't miss often.

"Did I join for any particuliar reason? No, not really. I guess, it was just the best way to get out of the smithy."

Vincent knocked one of his arrows and slowly drew it back. He focused hard on the target, blocking the entire world out. It was just him and target's blue neck. Keeping the bow steady like his trainer had taught him, he released the arrow, hoping he could show up his new partner.

"You see, my father wanted me to become his apprentice, but I didn't want to work all day and night banging at metal for a living. I wanted to do something more with myself, bring more honor to my family."

Vincent repeated his pattern of knocking the arrow, blocking out the target, and aiming at the target. He let loose all his arrows one by one, alternating where they would hit. First the heart, then the neck, then back to the heart.

"Got any tips for me? I'm afraid I've only been using the bow for a month or so. I'm really lacking the skill you possess," said Vincent with a smile. He hoped Lanal would open up more, after all, they were buddies.
Jadmai
Civus

Post by Jadmai »

"I do like using still all that often...some say, that I am act more like a three-quarters elf, than half." She said with a shrug, but when Vincent opened a bit, she seemed open up more, and begin to speak with more confidence.

Meanwhile, Vincent had prepared himself for a good shot, however, he was aiming at the most difficult part of the target. The prepartion was the key, his skill was not quite there yet, still his shot looked to heading towards the coveted blue section. But Vincent's arrow was not flying try in flight, if fact in as it flew forward it still had a slight side angle to it as it flew towards the neck, causing it to veer, but yet still find a spot on the head of the dummy, sticking barely in at an odd angle..

Az'luze smiled, "Well, I think that shot wasn't lethal with a person with a helmet on, but you probably really pissed them off." She actually laughed, "And ruined a perfectly good helmet."

When Vincent asked for advice, Az'luze seemed to slink back into her own world, it was obvious she was looking for the proper words to say. To her, explaining archery, was explaining to somebody how to breathe--one just does it.

"As a beginner Vincent--which is nothing to be ashamed, I still considered myself so--do not worry about the other arrows you might need to launch, or even the man you must take to the ground. Just look at your spot, but do not concentrate very hard on it, just look upon it. This way, you are not trying to guide the arrow as much. These are Kilsovan bows, the finest of all, the arrows want to fly true, all you have to do is let them. When you try for two small an area, say a grouping of hay, it seems logical that if you miss that you will come close to it, but I find this is not true. I find with that kind of thought process, you either hit exactly what you are aiming at, or you find you have skyed your arrow 40 paces over the mans head." She said with a smirk.

She spoke quickly, and with passion, as it obvious this was a topic she enjoyed greatly, but it seemed that she forgot herself, and became meek again, but Vincent's thrist for knowledge, edged her on just a little more, "On the physical part, which is the lesser of it I am sure you know, I can tell by the way you fire you arrow. You do well, but look at your left forearm."

On Vincent's left forearm there was a large slightly triangle-shaped welt, and it was still growing. The release of the arrow happens so fast that he did not realize that as he fired he let the bow, tilt a little to the left, causing the odd angle of the arrow, and the welt on his arm.

Az'luze smiled at him, "Don't worry, that happens even on a good shot, I recommend getting some bracers from the armory--just leather though. Later when we swim, you are not going to want to carry any more than that I don't think."

"I also think that maybe you should hold back longer, as you let empty your mind and look upon your target, give yourself more time to reach that certain time the shot has come to you, do you know what I mean? It will make you sore as a beaten step-child but stamina is important."

Az'luze threw her braid over her shoulder and nodded at Vincent, "I'm sorry if I gave you too many things at once, that might confuse you, I'm sorry. If I did, just take an aspect and focus on that. Hehe, but I must admit, that I am interested in your next four shots. Please take them, I want to see how good of a teacher I am." Again another rare smile from the oft meek half-elf as she put her finger over her lips waiting for Vincent to finish.

Post by Guest »

OOC: Here comes the fudging

IC: Vincent laughed at Lanal's comment about his aim. "I'm sure if I happened to piss off some really big Orc, you'd be there to protect little 'ol me," said Vincent, crouching to show how "little" he was. I really shouldn't have missed that shot. How can I make squad leader shooting like that? He gave a quick glance at the target again, and decided what it was he needed to do to hit the target in the right spot.

When Vincent asked for advice, he noted how much Lanal cared for archery. Archery, the wya to a woman's heart? Who would have thought... He continued to listen carefully to Lanal, until she showed him the welt. His eyes started to bulge out of his head at the pain that started to shoot through his forearm. "I have bracers right here, stupid me, I forgot to put them on," he said as he sheepishly walked to his equipment and put on the bracers.

"So, hold back the string longer as I clear my mind. It'll be hard to do that when your words of advice are floating through my head." Vincent grinned as he bantered on with Lanal. He could really tell she was opening up to him, and he loved to see the passion in her voice when she spoke of archery. "Do me a favor, watch my shots one more time. I need all the help I can get. In fact, show me how far back you want me to pull the string, and count for me how long you want me to hold it. It'll help me in learning what to do."

As Vincent knocked his arrow, he tried to remember Lanal's advice, step by step. After listening to her instructions, he cleared his mind and let loose his arrows.
Jadmai
Civus

Post by Jadmai »

Vincent was wise to listen to Private Az'luze advice, and ask for her help. For she did so greatly, as he drew back, she spoke calmly to him, telling him to let go when he was comfortable, just to fire when the shot was in his mind.

With this coaching, Vincent's inner calm though marred was corrected, and his shots were let go with fluidity akin to that of Az'luze's. And to his comfort he didn't have to hear the snap of his bowstrip against his leather bracers.

The results: not as good as Az'luze's but considering her history, that asking more from Vincent than is fair. However, two of his arrows struck borderline on the blue marked hay of the dummy. The rest made a wide cluster, but still inside the heart region. It was a fine display of confidence and listening to advice, and perhaps next time with more concentration without having Lanal in his ear Vincent may be able to strike even more truly.

Still, he must remember, this is stationary hay target, the real thing would be an orc, or an enemy solider taking to him, with a battlecry, perhaps sword wielded into the air as the enemy tried to close the distance to render the ranged weapon useless.

The final shots from the line were being fired, and just a few people had their shots left, not surprisingly, these were one's doing push-ups not a quarter of a mark ago.

However, this didn't not matter to Warrant Officer Ribisi as he stormed down the line in disgust, "DAMN IT! DAMN IT DAMN IT! Almost all of you had an arrow that had a better chance of hitting Kisolvan than the damn targets. I don't know what the nether to do with you, slugs--and it took damn forever to get it done. If ya think you're advisary is going to stop and turn to hay thirty paces from you, I have a tip for you: NOT GONNA HAPPEN."

Ribsi had started on the end of opposite of Vincent and his partner, and at this point Master Sergant Tinelly was down on the lines seeing what all the ruckus, and she just shook her head. However, Ribsi stopped nearly in shock at the last pair of Lanal and Vincent.

"Great Illuminatus!" He exclamied. "If I wasn't staring at this with my own eyes I wouldn't believe it, we have a group here that actually planted all there arrows, and only missed two critical spots barely, under this conditions I would almost give these two medals. Everyone, back on line, and do it again."

Just as Lanal was about to step to the line again Master Sergant Tinelly called her over, then something was happening because, Tinelly gave a nod to Ribsi, and as soon as that happened Ribsi hailed Vincent.

"Private Valenté! Front and center!" He said calling him over to him as he stood his head taller than Vincent and standing at strong attention his three gold bars shimmering slightly from the light rain that fall on them.

"Private, I bet you think you know why I had you paired up with Private Az'luze, big man with a sword, with a known markswoman--not the case private. In the few marks you have been here, you started to solve one of our problems. We knew of Private Az'luze for some time, but we also know that she is very closed up, meek, and unconfident. But for some reason, even though I am better looking, she choose to talk you a bit. Her talent is invaulble to us, and with you giving her confidence--well don't get a big head. It's not all you, there are rumors that she is a wild one--with magicks, and that is why some of her off target shots seem to veer into place. I need you too keep her up in confidence, because that is only time it seems to happen."

Ribsi took a deep breath and let out a massive sigh, "All that being said, as you two have defintely finished the basic archery training, and the ONLY ones to do so, Tinelly and I have decided to give you first chance at a patrol. Can you handle your bow well enough to fend for yourself, and your partner? If you don't have the confidence, then do not go."

"It's a daily patrol, and some of the lower ranks find it un-needed, they call it the Paranoid Patrol. It's a walk of the perimeter and part of the coast to make sure we don't have anyone taking too much interest in our training techniques and our ship manuevers. If you can handle it, then directly behind me you will see Master Sergant Victor Analli, a good swordsmen, you will accompany? Give me your answer, and report to Master Sergent Analli or get back to the line."

The officer in question did indeed looked battle hardened as he sheathed his sword to his back, and let his bow hang over his shoulder. His black hair swept over his eyes in the wind as he brushed it away. His armor had battle scars, as well as his left arm. But he seemed jovial and well tempered as he spoke with other sergants, his wide jaw gapping with laughter a few times.

Lanal was already heading towards the single gold bar sergant, though still a bit meekly.

Post by Guest »

Vincent was only too glad he had asked for Az'Luze's advice. Otherwise, he wouldn't have done nearly so well firing on the stationary hay targets. He had performed nearly as well as Lanal, but was a little off compared to her shots. Still, he couldn't complain. He knew the next time, he would be able to use his inner calm and Az'Luze's advice without her having to break his concentration.

A smile widened across Vincent's face as he looked at all the other targets. Some of the men hadn't finished, the ones who had been donig pushups. The others had clearly not done as well as Lanal, or even Vincent for that matter.

Officer Ribsi was quite the sight to behold. He barked at the men as he went down the line, aiming his yells at the men who had previously been doing pushups. They should have known to hurry up. Vincent watched Tinelly shake her head as she walked down the line. He desperately wanted to impress her with his marksmanship, but he was worried. It didn't help matters anymore when Ribsi stared at the two with disbelief on his face. Oh no, here we go with the yelling once again..

But Vincent's suspicions were dashed away when Ribsi started to praise him and Az'Luze. "Sir, I was the one who missed the two critical spots, Private Az'Luze shot the targets perfectly." Vincent hoped his words would push Officer Ribsi towards complimenting Lanal. He believed it would really help her come out of her shell.

Vincent was about to accompany Lanal back to the line when she was called over to Tinelly. It was all very fishy, especially when Tinelly nodded to Ribsi and Vincent was called over to him. He quickly hustled over to Officer Ribsi, noting how the slight rain glistened off the three bars. I'll be wearing those soon enough.

Surprise was written all over his face when he was told about Lanal's magical abilities. He was amazed that she could only use it when she had confidence. Didn't she know that she had to be confident all the time then? Lives of all these men would be on her shoulders if she didn't. "Sir, I will make sure that Private Az'Luze is full of confidence when necessary, so as to not make her overconfident when handling the enemy." Vincent decided to ignore the 'big head' comment. I don't have THAT big of a head...

It seemed basic training with bows was over for the two, they would be going on a patrol. "Sir, you can trust that me and Tinelly can handle a patrol. We both have the confidence needed in the assignment." Although Vincent wasn't sure his statement was true, in regards to Az'Luze's confidence, but he wanted his Officers to feel as if it were so.

Paranoid Patrol? Guess it is kind of properly named. Whether it was a fitting name or not, Vincent would have to wait and see firsthand.

Vincent walked over to Az'Luze and told her that they had been assigned to go on a mission, since they were the best of the recruits. There, that'll boost her confidence! "We'll be gonig on a simple patrol, but we should be weary. We jsut have to walk the perimeter, and the coast. Now, let's head on over to Master Sergeant Analli, as he'll be accompanying us." Vincent was walknig at quite a brisk pace, he was too excited. "Oh, and, thanks for the help with the bow, I couldn;t have done so well without you," he said as he continued to walk over to Analli.

When the pair reached the Sergeant, Vincent saluted immediately. The man had clearly seen his share of action. His body was weathered and scarred. Vincent began to wonder if he'd end up in the same condition as him, but quickly shoved such thoughts out of his mind.He needed to focus on this new task to perform above and beyond everyone else. "Private du Valenté, sir, and this is Private Az'Luze. We're here about the patrol duty."
Last edited by Guest on Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jadmai
Civus

Post by Jadmai »

The sergeant lifted his head and looked up at the newly arriving private, Vincent, while slowly sliding into his lower lip, a large wad of spitting tobbaco, retrived from small leather pouch which he tucked back into his worn armor,

Master Sergeant Analli returned the salute from Vincent, as almost a polite gesture, more than anything. Vincent was taller than Analli and he took notice right away, "Kind of bigger than my average bowmen, but that's alright, I will take the size any time." He said with a nod, while he looked over at Lanal and waited. "I've seen your partner before, some archery contest, right? It's what I'm betting on--hope so, anyway."

Linal had a longer talk with Tinelly, but was excited when Vincent told the news though she said nothing--she literally hopped into the air, and then ran over, and gave a silent salute as they arrived.

"Yep. Hi, you two can call me Victor." He said as he returned her salute as well, "Alright, privates, I just want to make a simple paranoid patrol and make some extra coin. You're my range, like a big long arm, that I would extend away from my body." Victor said with raised eyebrows.

"Away from me, got that? If, yes, something should actually happen, don't get caught up in the moment and try shooting an enemy while he is trying to fist fight me. That being said, you will always walk 15 paces to one of my flanks, and 20 paces in front or behind me--you will form up behind me, as my preference. Let's move now, because I think we are late."

Even though Victor was shorter than Vincent, he walked with a brisk, quick stride, making it a task to keep walk with him as he was leading them out of the base. As they were making there exit, Victor slowed a little as they reached the checkpoint.

He turned back at the pair of them and shook his head, "Gods...Don't ever go through this gate, the guy, Blington who mans it, is a straight ass." He mumbled before going to the guard house where annoying voice orginated.

"Victor Analli, what made you are almost late for your patrol."

"Cripes, Blington," Victor slapped his forehead with frustration. "almost late, must mean I'm on time, or early even...yes, but if you must have something to report, you can go ahead and write down; I was late because I was talking to my privates."

"What!? I will write that down."

"Yes, go ahead Blington, write down; 'I was busy making sure my privates where properly groomed to be presented on the avenues.' "

"You'll be demoted for this!" Blington said with almost joy in his high pitched monotone voice.

"I'm on duty." Victor said shaking his head and walking by, "Follow me, privates, like I instructed ya." He started to gain distance on them, and would just turn his head back to make sure they followed orders, "Remember your distances, and that you can only fire if I give permission or in self-defense."

Being so near to the headquarters, a lot of buildings here were actually owned by the Muchislie Marines, however they were large, provided for little excitement on patrol as Victor simply walked down the set path looking back to make sure, Vincent and Lanal were still hanging in there as he kept that same brisk pace.

As soon as they left the area of Marine Headquarters however, the terrain quickly changed, and they found themselves walking past many expensive merchant manors. As they were in the heart of Adzerik, the De Bessnie Tower loomed high overhead from the noble estate, as it did nearly every where on the isle, but yet, the buildings were still rather small as to pack in as many as possible for the crown. Yet, they were all decorated lavishly, showing their opulence.

"I guess keep your eyes open? This is just part of our path, but it leads us straight through the isle, almost going to the Traders Nook...rich bastards. Vincent and Lanal--" he said looking back checking to make sure they still there.

Victor lead them nimble down the avenues and of course passing groups of the wealthy. Keeping an eye on Victor grew slightly difficult, but he was moving quickly and was the only other marine. The uniform drew proud stares as they moved. Victor smirked looking back, as they approached a part of the avenue that was actually clear, save for a drunk or a homeless man, sleeping in a side alley that Victor passed.

"I guess just look out for anything odd? This is a really rich part of town, merchants and minor nobles--that kind of thing. Anything odd...like if an orc, riding a dragon I guess. I dunno."

Return to “On the Road Archive”