Daenus: An eveningtide with the Nightwatch

Moderator: Mods

Maeve
The Dragon & Game Designer

Daenus: An eveningtide with the Nightwatch

Post by Maeve »

OOC: This private training thread takes place in the interim between the two Gem Quest threads. It aims at teaching Seamanship skills.

IC: It was the fifth mark of eveningtide and the stars were out in abundance. The bald quartermaster stood at the helm, with quiet confidence. Daenus had been asigned to run errands for the nightwatch, and as such he stood on the bridge in attendance. The quartermaster arched an eyebrow "You have been at sea before." It was a statement, but a question as well.
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]
Med

Post by Med »

Daenus was neither in a cocky or obediant mood during such time. Many things were upon his mind. He turned and locked eyes with the other man an nodded, stating simply, "I was raised on one." though abrupt his voice held no bite.

"The forward sails might need to be shifted later if wind picks up. Where would you like me first?" his tone steady as he spoke. The dark eyes shifted from point to point about the ship trying to calculate every possible thing as he listened. Habit.
Maeve
The Dragon & Game Designer

Post by Maeve »

The quartermaster nodded "You have sealegs, it shows. Yes.. the wind is turning." At Daenus observation he ordered "Ready the ropes to make it so, and tell William Anderson to help you." He pointed to the young redheaded boy with freckles, who was nodding of in a bundle of ropes. "When you return pick up the sextant. Tis in the captains cabin."

Raven was at the stern of the ship staring out over the sea moodily, as he had for most of the days. It did not seem likely he would mind a crewmember entering his cabin.
Last edited by Maeve on Sun Feb 23, 2003 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]
Med

Post by Med »

Daenus nodded silently.

Duty...

It was much too easy to fall back into.. He even gave a half-way pleasant look as he aproached William.

"You are the one who almost was lost, correct? Overboard the ship that is? We need to adjust the sails and tie them down for onproaching wind. Care to give me a hand with such?"

Daenus hid what he thought of the other with a smile... Perhaps... he was once like that... So young.

The question often ringed in his mind despite all plans.. The simplest question in the world. "Why?"
BardicPup

Post by BardicPup »

Will snapped back to reality as Daenus spoke to him. The lad was flustered enough from being caught sleeping on the job, and Daenus's mention of his earlier swim made him speak nearly in circles. "Oh, yes, the sails. Of cource I'll help. I'm great with ropes and knots and such. "
Med

Post by Med »

Daenus pulled the dark gray hood of his cloak up perhaps due to a slight breeze. The effect made his dark eyes look even more menacing as he stared at the boy in silence for a moment. Giving a very caculated pause..

The Dark man.... He recalled looking in his eyes that last time...

"Yes." he said bluntly, "Lead the way and I shall help this task be more expedient. Time is of the esence. So be quick about your work and detail." he snapped.

He hid an inner smile at the power lust of nearly bullying this young one. His intention was different though. All had to be hardened if they were to face life at sea. Learn now or end up dead.
BardicPup

Post by BardicPup »

Will just stared at Daenus a moment, trying to colect his wits. Even the captain himself was more forgiving and less cold than this one. However, this was one of the captain's guests, so he took it like an order. "Yes, sir. " The boy said sullenly.

Thr lad made his way to the ropes and began to climb. "What heading, sir? "
Med

Post by Med »

"Two notches to the east for now. Winds will move us off course otherwise and we need to compensate. Please tell me that you know how to do such. If so I shall be off to get a more accurate course set. If you have the slightest doubt I suggest speaking now as there won't be many to rescue you shoulf you fail." his eyes were cold as he spoke in a chilling tone.

The sextant.. Hmm should have aquired that first. Winds seem true though it should work for the time being. Perhaps this boy might become a man after all.. Seemed like a waste of effort for the others to spend so much time rescuing.
BardicPup

Post by BardicPup »

The boy looks down with hidden anger. "I know how, and I won't fall. "

Looking away, he begins to work on setting the new course while Daenus gets the sextant. While far from an expect, his work looks satisfactory. His foot slips once, but he catches himself with plenty of time to spare.
Med

Post by Med »

Daenus nodded aprovingly as he came back with the sextant. The course was figured as best as he could, but a second opinion was always valued at sea. After all life was battle with this living enviroment beneath and above them. The lives of many hinged on being carefull and precise in even the smallest task.

"Well done, William. Have you ever tried your hand at setting a course or seen the captain or first mate do such?" he eyed the boy curiously.
BardicPup

Post by BardicPup »

Will looks nervous. "I've seen it done before, but I've never tried. Why don't you do it? "
Med

Post by Med »

Daenus frowned at the sextant, unsure if he would be able to set it right or not..

Frustration.. Humility... Weakness!

He hated it all! He was not sure if he could do this or not.. So the closest point of projectionism was the boy.

"Well then.. You are but a simple fool!" he hissed and stepped forward menacingly, "Was there a point to the other's saving you? Or were we delaying the inevitable. Perhaps I remedy that now?" he growled and shoved the item into the boy's hands.

He held the gaze that spoke volumes upon not failing at this moment.
BardicPup

Post by BardicPup »

The boy's eyes flashed, even though he was taken aback by Daenus's verbal assault. Never the less, he restrains himself, for the time being. Taking the device, he works on it for two full burns, concentrating, and trying to remember how to work it. Finally, he comes up with the course, no more then two points off from Daenus's. The next time Daenus turns his back, the boy sticks his tongue out at him, quickly returning to normal.

Return to “On the Water Archive”