Headaches and rolling waves. (Goldentree)

Moderator: Mods

Vanir Alfheim
Priest of Joy

Headaches and rolling waves. (Goldentree)

Post by Vanir Alfheim »

Goldentree awoke with a throbbing pain at the back of his head. It was a steady pain that had crept through his entire head, while he slept away the night. He could feel a slight nausia as another smell filled his senses. It was not dried meat, but a more salty smell. The room was dimly lit with only two small candles burning, revealing a solid wood room with only a few barrels inside of it. The wooden ceiling had a few cracks that allowed small beams of light to shine in. The far wall contained a door, but Goldentree did not recognize it from before.
[color=green]Jayne Cobb: Shepherd Book once said to me, "If you can't do something smart, do something right." [/color]

Avatar by the wonderful Finn. Much thanks!!
goldentree

Post by goldentree »

Goldentree stood up and looked around him, this wasn't the room he was before and by the smell of the salty air he realized right away that he was on the sea. he was scared "How did i get here" he sayed to himself "This is not the outpost". He then realized that he has seasick and really needed to throw up.

Goldentree who couldn't holp up any longer ran to the doot and to the deck, he threw up over the deck to the sea and turned his heat to look at the ship.It was quite large infect it was the biggest ship goldentree had ever seen, now after he felt better he remembered about the pain on the back of his head, then he wondered where he was and how did he get there. His thought was interupted by a loude bang goldentre looked around to see where the bang came from.
Last edited by goldentree on Wed Jul 02, 2003 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vanir Alfheim
Priest of Joy

Post by Vanir Alfheim »

ooc- Careful about decribing things that haven't been mentioned.

ic- The noise was nothing more that the work of the sailors up top. There were several men scurrying about up top. One sailor, who was obviously not just a regular worker, walked over to Goldentree. He smiled and laughed at the boy's weak stomach. When he got close enough, he spoke in a rough voice.

"You must be the one we picked up over at Pan's Isle. The rangers gave us you after they caught you stealing. You must have a lot of guts to steal from Pan's rangers. Those men are quite tough and skilled to be stealing from. If you ask me, I'd be glad to still be alive. Well just so you know, nobody rides for free here. The Captain and I expect to get something out of you, before we drop you off at the next stop. I believe we are stopping at Tel' Aranae Quessir, which shouldn't be so bad for an elf. Be glad Amun Rah is not our next stop. We could always sell you to their slave camps. I am sure you would fetch a good price."

The experienced sailor looked around the boat's deck. He spotted a burly sailor over on the starboard side. "That there is Harbin. He isn't a kind fellow, but he works hard. You will be helping him out. You best go introduce yourself properly. If you don't work, Harbin might just throw you overboard." The sailor grinned darkly to assure Goldentree that it was not just a joke.
[color=green]Jayne Cobb: Shepherd Book once said to me, "If you can't do something smart, do something right." [/color]

goldentree

Post by goldentree »

goldentree was shocked to hear how did he get on the ship, he hadn't thought that eating a piece of dry meat will be the cause of throwing him on a ship that might have brought him to slave camps.

he was a little pleased to hear that the ship was heading to tel arenae quessir because he wanted to go to there to join the hunter's guild and he was pleased to hear that he was not going to slave camps, although by the look on Harbin's face he knew that in the trip on the ship he would work like a slave.

He didnt quite get over his seasick and he feared that he would throw up again, an image of him throwing up on Harbin and Harbin throwing him to the sea crossed his mind.

he sayed goodbye to the sailor and went slowly to Harbin, he didn't know how ho introduce himself and he feared that he will be thrown overboard. he stopped walking right in front of Harbin and sayed clearly "Erm.... hello sir, my name is goldentree and i was told that i need to help you throughout the trip" he looked at Harbin and waited for a reply.
Last edited by goldentree on Thu Jul 03, 2003 11:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Vanir Alfheim
Priest of Joy

Post by Vanir Alfheim »

Harbin did not smile or introduce himself to Goldentree. He grabbed a pile of rope that was at his feet and threw it at the elf. The rope hit him square in the chest with a slight impact. The rope was tangled a bit, but still in good shape. Harbin spoke in a gruff, mean voice.

"Untangle that fouled mess and then secure it to that cleat. Then secure the lanyard to those barrels over there in case we have rough waters. Afterwards, You will square away the port side of the deck. Understand all that, boy? Think you can handle those minor tasks?" He asked coldly.

goldentree

Post by goldentree »

Goldentree looked at Harbin and didn't answered, he didn't think that this tasks were minor but he was sure that he can deal with them, and he didn't want to show any sigh of weakness near Harbin.

Untangling the rope was easy to goldentree, and the other tasks was not that difficult although goldentree was sure that Harbin will complain about his work.

It took him an 2 hours or so of hard work under the hot sun and when he finally finished he went back to Harbin "i'de finished my tasks" he sayed "Do you need me for something else?"
Vanir Alfheim
Priest of Joy

Post by Vanir Alfheim »

Harbin went over and checked his work. He did not look pleased, but he did not seem to ever look pleased. He checked the knots on the ropes and scoffed. "You think these knots will hold during a storm? What have you never worked on a boat before?"

Harbin untied the knots and retied them slowly showing Goldentree what he is doing. He showed the correct loops to make so that the lines would be firmly secure. He then pointed over to the aft end of the deck. It had several lines running down to cleats. "Go secure all of those lines and making the lines are tight. If they are loose, then retie them like I showed you. Now get to work and maybe we will even feed you today."

goldentree

Post by goldentree »

Goldentree looked closely at Harbin doing the knots and saw that he had really made a bad job, but when he lived in the family farm he didnt used this kinds of knots and all this was really new and bizare to him.

Goldentree returned to his work, after looking at Harbin he thought it would be easy but doing is verry different from doing. a couple of times he needed to untangle the hole knot and do it again. Surely doing this knots took him a lot more time then before but at the last 3 knots he was sure that he mastered this knots and probably this will be in use for the rest of the trip.

When he finished his work it was past lunch and he was really hungry, but he remembered what happened last night (his head wass still hurting) and didnt looked for food, insted he looked for Harbin to show him his work and ask if he can give him somethibg to eat.

When he went looking for Harbin the thought to himself why did all this happened, did pan interfired to send him to here?, and what he would do next. he stoped thinking when he saw Harbin and went to speak to him
Vanir Alfheim
Priest of Joy

Post by Vanir Alfheim »

Harbin saw the young elf coming towards him and stopped him from speaking. He went over to check the knots as before. The gruff sailor actually nodded his head, but still looked displeased. It must be his natural look. He turned towards Goldentree and spoke coarsely.

"These are not as bad as before. You may actually be worth keeping after all, but that is yet to be seen. I will have some more work for you, but I suppose you will be wanting something to eat. Go down to the galley and ask for Larson. He is an ugly-looking dwarf, but he is the best cook we have had in a long time. Tell him that I let you come down there to eat. If he asks who you are, you are the whelp from Pan's Isle. Got it? Hurry up and eat, so you can do some more work. Don't make me come looking for you."

The galley was located downstairs at the end of the main hall. It was easy to find by the aroma drifting out of it. Inside there were several tables occupied by rough-looking sailors. There was a door at the far end of the room and a counter beside it that opened up to the other room. The room contained several pots and cooking fires. There was a dwarf working back there, chopping vegetables and throwing them into the pots. He was just as Harbin described him, ugly as sin. He had a long white beard covering his scarred face. He made the quartermaster at the fort look like a noble. He paid no attention to Goldentree.

goldentree

Post by goldentree »

Goldentree was pleased that Harbin accepted his work and even sayed it's useful. his stomach ached with hunger so goldentree fallowed Harbin's orders and went down to the galley.

Before going down to the galley goldentree wondered how can Harbin can call anyone ugly but when he saw larson the dwarf he realized why: Larson was the most ugly men (or dwarf) goldentree had ever seen.

The aroma made goldentree even more hungry but he thought he need to go slowly with the dwarf (especially with the knife in his hand).
"Hallo sir" he sayed "I am the ,er.....whelp from pan isle and Harbin sended me down here to get something to eat" with a sure distance he waited for a reply.
Vanir Alfheim
Priest of Joy

Post by Vanir Alfheim »

Larson turned to Goldentree and laughed heartily. He wiped his hands on the dirty apron around his waist as he walked towards the young elf. He shook his head as he continued laughing. "So you are the whelp, are ye'? Well if Harbin says you deserve to eat, then you must be starvin'. He is a real beast that one, but strong and skilled at the sea. You will do good to listen to him. Well let me grab you a bowl of stew then."

Larson fixed Goldentree a bowl of stew, which flowed with the rich aroma of the room. It contained scarse bits of meat with several chopped vegtables. The stew had a full, robust flavor which was quickly filling. The dwarf gave Goldentree a piece of bread. It was hard and going stale, but still quite edible.

goldentree

Post by goldentree »

Goldentree stared at the food, this wasn't the best meal he ate but he was starving and he thought it could be a lot worse.

"Thank you sir" he sayed and started to eat while he was still standing, he was surprised to see that the food wasn't so bad. he finished eating, sayed goodbye to the dwarf and went back up to see harbin as he told him to do.

He saw harbin at the deck and went to talk to him "I'd finished my meal sir" he sayed, "Do you need me for something else?"
Vanir Alfheim
Priest of Joy

Post by Vanir Alfheim »

Larson just grunted as Goldentree bid him farewell. The dwarf was short on manners as well as looks, but he had disappointed in the meal. It was quite good for ship rations. Harbin was top-side working on a halyard for the jib. He noted as Goldentree approached, cutting him off before he could speak.

"I hope you got something to eat, because I am going to get my work out of you yet. Take this halyard and use it to raise the sail to catch more wind. Then secure to that cleat right there and make sure it is tight. Afterwards go to the aft end of the boat and square it away. I want it in order for the Captain's inspection before he goes to his quarters. If it is not in order, then you may soon find yourself treading water to mainland."

goldentree

Post by goldentree »

Goldentree what he was told, it took him some time but he was sure that he made the knot right and the thought he did everything else very well however he wasn't really sure it will be alright for the captain inspection.

Finally when he finished the work he waited for the inspection, he feared that he did a bad job and will be thrown overboard.

He looked around to see Harbin but he didn't see him, he saw only some of the other sailors, he didn't want to go to talk to them and judging by the way they looked at him he was sure that they didn't want to talk to him or even see him near them.

Because he didn't see Harbin he couldn't ask him to inspect his work, he thought he need to leave it for the captain, hoping it wont be the last tim he will see him or even Harbin.
Vanir Alfheim
Priest of Joy

Post by Vanir Alfheim »

The ship was fairly quiet up top as most sailors were preparing for the Captain's inspection. The other sailors paid little mind to Goldentree as he worked on his tasks. The knots seemed to be secure and everything looked in order to the inexperienced elf. Harbin soon appeared from nowhere as he walked up behind Goldentree silently. He booms out in a loud voice breaking the inanimate silence.

"I see you know how to follow instructions, but let us see what the Captain thinks of your work. He will be down in half a mark to inspect the deck and helm. You might want to use this time to make sure you have everything in order. Do you think you can work up here without much instruction? Have you ever been on a ship before?"

goldentree

Post by goldentree »

Goldentree looked at harbin with surprise, he was sure that the experienced sailor will sure know that this was the first time goldentree was on a sheep. But he choose not to say anything about that.

"Erm... no sir, this is my first time on a ship, when i was a little boy i worked hard in the family field and didn't have time to travel on a boat. i don't think i can figure out what to do without instruction but maybe in a couple of dayes i would be experienced enough to do it by myself" goldentree sayed.

Goldentree looked at Harbin and thought how was his first time on a ship, was he so insecure as he is?. he waited Harbin to say something
Vanir Alfheim
Priest of Joy

Post by Vanir Alfheim »

Harbin did not say much in response, but merely nodded his head. He thought for a moment and looked fiercely at the whelp before him. "I suppose I will have one of the other sailors teach you when I go off to rest. I will leave him instructions for when you are to be able to rest. Here comes the Captain. He always seems to be running early, which hopefully means it will only take us a few days to reach Tel' Aranae Quessir. It is normally a seven day voyage from Pan's Isle, if we do not dock anywhere."

A handsome, middle-aged human in an elaborate cloak and beautiful doublet. He walked with a sure confidence and air of leadership. It did not need telling that this man was the captain of the ship. He walked over to Harbin and Goldentree. He did not smile or scowl, but looked stoic at the two. He spoke in a rich, accented voice that sounded very proper.

"Harbin, is this the acquisition from Pan's Isle?" Harbin nodded in the affirmative, but did not speak. "Good, it is good to see him working already. Boy, my name is Captain Franlille 'de Laquore. This is my ship the Vargaz's Chosen. You will find it your home, until we reach our next port. I suggest you listen to everything that you are told, so that you find it a pleasant voyage. You are not the first bilge rat that we have picked up, so we know how to get our money out of you. Did you take of this area? Is this your work?"
Last edited by Vanir Alfheim on Fri Jul 04, 2003 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goldentree

Post by goldentree »

Goldentree stared at the captain with surprise, he didn't expect that a captain will took like that, he'd expected that he is a bigger version of Harbin but when the captain started to talk goldentree listened carefully to hear how he was doing and if his work is good.

"Yes sir this is my work" goldentree sayed, "And i can insure you that i'm a hard worker and i think that maybe i can be a little useful for the ship".

He waited to hear the captain response hoping that he wast rude to talk how much good he is.
Vanir Alfheim
Priest of Joy

Post by Vanir Alfheim »

Captain Franlille laughed at the young elf's response. He spoke in firm, professional voice. "Yes, young lad, perhaps you can. I trust Harbin will work you hard, so I shall not worry about that. It seems your first day's work is not bad. It is quite acceptable, although not exemplary by any means. You shall have to work on that. I run a tight ship, so I expect no less from any of my crew members, even those that are not here by choice. Do you understand? What is your name, lad?"
Last edited by Vanir Alfheim on Sat Jul 05, 2003 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goldentree

Post by goldentree »

goldentree was pleased that he's work wasn't that bad and he even smiled to the captain when he answered.

"my nema is goldentree sir" he sayed "and i'm please that you find my work acceptable".
Vanir Alfheim
Priest of Joy

Post by Vanir Alfheim »

Captain Franlille nodded his head and continued on his inspection of the deck. Harbin waited until the Captain was gone to speak again. He had a rough voice, but it was gentler than earlier. "Well maybe you will get to stay the night here after all. I am going to mess and then to my quarters. I am leaving you with Samson to tend to you. If you don't follow his orders, you know what will happen."

Harbin walked off returned with a young man of about 20. He had a meduim build with short, black hair. He smiled at the young elf as he approached. Harbin introduced him as Samson and then took his leave. Samson spoke kindly to Goldentree.

"Hello, I am supposed to work you for a little more. How much do you know about ships? Anything you want to learn?"

goldentree

Post by goldentree »

goldentree grinned at Samson, finally someone who talked to him nicely and not as if he is a little whelp.

"hallo Samson, i mean sir. its my first time on a ship so i don't know anything accept knots and stuff and because i'm leaving in seven dayes so i don't have a lot of time to learn but i really want to know how to find my way with the help of the stars, can you help me?"
Vanir Alfheim
Priest of Joy

Post by Vanir Alfheim »

Samson laughed at the boy's nervousness. He smiled and clapped the elf on the back. "Do not worry, friend. I am not as rough as Harbin. I can show you a few things about the stars. We will start with the main ones you need to know." He pointed to a single bluish-white star in the sky. It was abit brighter than most of the other stars. "That is the Guide Star, which is a main point of reference when sailing. It is always in the north and never moves, so you can use it to guide you."

The young sailor then pointed to single, bright star above Pan's Isle, although the elf's home was no longer visible. "That is the Elen en Pan. I believe it means Star of Pan, but I am not sure. You can use it to find your way back to Pan's Isle. It is always positioned above the island. You may want to remember that one for if you ever head back home."

"You can use those as your points. When you are sailing, you look towards the stars as a map. If you look at the Guide Star and then head towards the constellation, the Hunter, you are now heading south east towards Amun Rah. Do you understand so far?"

goldentree

Post by goldentree »

ooc: hi vanir :D . i just wanted to know if i'm doing ok. thx :D goldentree

ic: Goldentree was more relaxed when he heard what Samson said, he thought that he is probably the only person he could talk to on this ship.

When Samson talked about the stars Goldentree listened carefully for information he can use in later times. He wanted to learn about the stars because it can help him with his travelling.

When Samson mentioned pan isle Goldentree felt a pinch of pain in his heart, he didn't know that leaving the isle would be such a big deal for him. He planed about half of his life that he would leave the isle but not so soon, not like this.....

He returned to listen to Samson and when he finished to talk goldentree said "I think i'd got the main idea of this think but i guess i need to practice but i've got seven dayes no?" goldentree smiled at Samson
Last edited by goldentree on Mon Jul 07, 2003 1:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Vanir Alfheim
Priest of Joy

Post by Vanir Alfheim »

Samson smiled at Goldentree and nodded his head. "I do not expect you would learn this in one night, so do not worry. I will show all the stars and constellations that I know and then you can use those to find your way at night. The stars will never betray you as long as you know how to use them properly. I spent my entire my life on the boats and even on the docks as a small child. My father was a sailor all his life, until recently when his years caught up to him. I took on the tradition of working out here when I was only 14."

Samson had noticed Goldentree's small bit of sorrow over the mention of his homeland, so decided to avoid the subject for now. He remembered the work that Harbin had left them. The boy showed the young elf over to starboard side of the ship. "Now to give you some quick tips on sailing. This sail right here is the main sail for the ship and is used for routine sailing. The larger sail in front of it is the jib. There are two types of lines attached to each sail. There is the sheet, which is used to to control the sail's direction, and the rigging, which is used to adjust the sails. This way when we tell you to trim the jib rigging, you will no to come over to these lines. Understand?"

Return to “On the Water Archive”