A Fisherman's Tale: Dorian Drake - Chptr 4 - Samheen 1

Moderator: Mods

Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

A Fisherman's Tale: Dorian Drake - Chptr 4 - Samheen 1

Post by Shaeliana »

Dorian Drake was a fisherman, the son of a fisherman it was what he'd done all his life and was happy doing it. It wasn't an easy life but the fisherman was a hard worker and made of stern stuff. Til the day he fished in the map. In a beautiful ivory case, it should have been worth a good amount of coin. Instead, the fisherman's life became one turmoil after another of attacks from undead in the sea to not being able to make any money off anything. A dream warned him that the case was cursed and the last owner wound up at the bottom of the sea and so Dorian disposed of the map quickly and noticed a distinct upswing in his life from that point on.

There'd been a woman sitting on a rock off the waters near the fisherman's home. Long dark hair and slender form, she sat watching the waves come in forlornly. Dorian tried to be nice and help her, but she was only interested in the water. One day, a strange water spout formed and came in and the woman walked into it and disappeared under the waters. Later, the woman returned in her true Mermaid form to tell Dorian not to worry about her and his relationship with the Mer was established.

Then he met Maranda. Blonde hair and green eyes, she worked in the kitchen of the Laughing King Tavern with her aunt Dora. She and her brother Atson, had come to Kings Court with their mother who was mortally ill. One night when Dorian had been to the tavern and was heading home, the girl was outside disposing of dishwater which she accidentally threw on Dorian and thus they met. They took a liking to each other immediately and he took her out to teach her to fish and swim.

The passing of the girl's mother created a dilemma as she didn't want to go back to the isolation of the country and live with her Uncle Thomas and most certainly didn't wish to leave Dorian. The fisherman proposed to the blonde who accepted and they traveled with Aunt Dora and Atson back home where Dorian asked Thomas for her hand in marriage, which was granted. First, comes the watch day. A sort of memorial type gathering to remember the departed, it is a day of coming together to visit and share and eat. This chapter of Dorian's story begins on the morning of the watch, Samheen 1st.

[hr][/hr]

The day broke clear and sunny, an event which was cause for rejoicing in itself after the long rainy summer. Because these people were farmers, the over abundance of rain had brought hard times to the community. But they were no strangers to hard times, flood or drought; the effect on the crops was the same. They died. However, the people went on looking forward to better times ahead.

The sun was a mark above the horizon when the slumbering fisherman was awakened by something warm on his cheek as Maranda kissed it softly.

"Morning Dorian" she whispered sweetly after she saw his eyes open and laid her head gently on his chest. "Sleep well? Folks'll be startin' ta show up for the watch pretty soon. I warmed ya some water ta wash up in. I already scrubbed up." Her hair was still damp from washing it and she had on the pretty pink dress he'd seen before.

"Aunt Dora didn't cook as folks'll bring food with em when they come and so they'll be plenty ta eat." Sitting up again, she kissed him and started to get up.

"Bucket of warm water fer washin's on the table with the soap and a cloth ta dry with. There's more hot water on the fire if the water in the bucket's not warm enough for ya. I'll wait outside ta give ya some privacy." With a wink, she headed to the door though she turned to smile at him again before heading outside, leaving him alone in the house.

[hr][/hr]
Dorian nodded sleepily and got up to wash. Ice cold water was no problem for him. He rubbed jawline, thinking, 'drat, I ought to have tried to get shaved before we left', and sighed, then got dressed. No selection, just the same breeches, getting raggedy now, his sandals, and the shirt Maranda had facilitated for him.

Then it was outside, to see what the world had to offer - where did all these people come from ? What exactly WAS a watch - he had no experience with such things. Scratching his chin (producing a raspy sound), he looked around to see what was going on, in a bit of wonder.

[hr][/hr]
Maranda was waiting out on the small porch, watching Uncle Thomas and his boys set up some rough tables and bench type constructions for sitting around under the tall trees around the front yard. Dora came from behind the house, hands full of wildflowers and herbs she had picked which she scattered on the rough tables.

"Mornin' Dorian," she grinned. "Slept well I trust?" she brushed pollen and dirt off her hands and turned to survey the area.

"Will be awhile yet before folks start showing up. Don't suppose the two a you could come up with some fishes?" She looked back and forth between the blonde and Dorian.

"We could try," the blonde giggled. "River's not far from here and we should have papa's fishin stuff in the box on the mantle. Not sure if catchin' river fish is different than lake fish," she looked at Dorian.

"You feel up to tryin'?" she asked him.

Meanwhile the boys were bringing up arm loads of wood they had gathered from the forest floor and stacking it by a makeshift fire pit.

[hr][/hr]
"Slept very well, thanks." said Dorian, grinning. And fishing - well, it was more of 'try and stop me'. "Sure, I'm happy to go fishing. Er...what can we use for bait ?" He always used guts from the fish from the day before, or cut-up old mussels.

But getting the gear out and going out with Maranda to do some line-fishing was fine by him. "I reckon to try river fish the same as lake fish, and I'll see where that takes me," he said, happy to be out with Maranda again. "Maybe I can learn sommat new today - and bring back a fish or two, with Maranda's help."
Last edited by Shaeliana on Sat Feb 15, 2003 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Making a decidedly negative looking face, the blonde shook her head, "Worms! You use squirmy slimy worms fer bait." She shuddered slightly.

"Or insects," interjected Atson. "Can I go and help Aunt Dora? I can fish pretty good and always caught more than Randa," he stuck out his tongue at the girl.

Chuckling, Dora nodded at the young man. "Yes, go fish with the couple. T'will help them keep their minds on their fishin'," she winked at Maranda who blushed softly before taking Dorian's hand and dragging him back inside the house.

Inside, she pulled a good sized wooden box off the mantle, set it on the table and opened it up. It contained lengths of cord that had been wound into circles and an assortment of hooks of varying sized and a small knife. Maranda pulled out a few lengths of cord, handed one to Dorian and another to her brother and pulled out some hooks and spread them on the table. She'd never picked the hook before; papa had always done that for her.

"Don't think we want real big hooks," she mumbled and reached for one that was medium sized and began to fumble with tying it to the line, unsuccessfully. She could never remember exactly how the knot must be tied to make sure it was secure and she bit her bottom lip and concentrated harder, trying a different way next.

"We have ta get poles next; straight limbs ta tie the cord to so ya can stick it out over th'water where the fish are. Otherwise ya only get wee ones. Big uns are in the middle," she explained as she continued to try and tie her hook to her line.

Post by Guest »

OOC: this new board does not like to accept posts, this is my 3rd try.

IC: Dorian gently took the hook and line from Maranda and tied them, showing her slowly what he was doing. "You make this loop - tie one knot - around and around, through the loop, and tie the knot off." He said, "And there you are, secure." He'd also show Atson how to tie the hook on, and bait her hook for her. He was quite used to handling slippery, smelly, disgusting things for bait.

And fishing was what he loved, so he was happy to set off with Atson and Maranda, to see if river fish were different from lake fish. He wasn't used to a pole to fish with - his calloused hands were proof against the cutting line for all but the biggest fish - but he'd try it. Mainly because poles weren't easy to come by along the lakeshore (ie, not free). He had his gaff, which could serve admirably should he need it to, and figured he could set up a pole and line, and hand-fish a line as well.

It was probably just as well they had a chaperone, as the desirable Maranda was - just that. "Lead me on ! Let's fish !" he said. Land was finally becoming easier to walk along - he wasn't stumbling so much. It didn't sway and move properly like the docks or the boat, but he was slowly getting accustomed to it.
Last edited by Guest on Mon Feb 17, 2003 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

River fish weren't that much different than what the fisherman was used to, mostly smaller and perhaps a bit more skittish. According to Maranda, she had gone fishing with her father when she was younger, you loaded your hook the simply flung the line out into the center of the river and waited for something to tug it. Once you felt a tug, you jerked on the line and started pulling the fish in. And she remembered something about low overhanging trees or branches and roots in the water were fish hideouts but you could also get your line tangled in the branches.

At first it was comical as they tugged on lines jerking them out of the water. Only once did anyone get hooked during one of the flying hook episodes, but Atson had a hard time keeping his line out of the branches and it got tangled over and over again.

However, as they got the feel of it and they day moved on, the fish started to bite more avidly and Dorian began to pull in over half of everything at bit on his line. The blonde did only about a quarter of what she yanked on as she still tended to jerk too hard, yanking the bait... and hook, away from the hungry fish. Anything smaller than a large handsbreadth was tossed back as inedible. Maranda had brought an extra length of cord to string the fish, though she allowed Dorian the honor of touching the fish.

When it was all said and done, they had a nice catch of over a dozen fish that were a good double handsbreadth is size and the largest was actually drawn in by Atson who grinned proudly.

Post by Guest »

Dorian strung them onto a line to be carried, figuring to gut them back by the house. He'd left his knife behind anyway. "Well done, Atson," he said, and tried not to think how good the fresh fish would taste to him. "Maranda, he's got the luck this time !" he grinned daftly at the blonde.

And there would be fish to eat, which was fine by him. "Atson, I don't guess you know how to swim ?" He asked as they headed back to the house. His gait, flat-footed still, was slow and cautious. A rough sea would not send him on his backside but a steady patch of ground with one stone on it certainly could. "And what happens now ? I'll gut these for you - just need a steady platform and someone nearby in case I miss with the knife."
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Sun was well into the sky, over half way through morningtide when they arrived back at the house which was now a bustling hive of activity. Aunt Dora noticed their return and greeted them.

"Oh, good. I knew ya'd manage ta get fish, Dorian!" She grinned at the trio and patted Atson on the head as he proclaimed himself the one with the biggest catch.

"Good, Atson! Yer uncle'll know who ta send out fishin' when it counts now," she giggled softly. "Nearly everyone's here. Once ya get the fish ready we'll cook em on the fire o'er there," she motioned to a large fire that was going with several pots already staked out around the edges and hanging over the blazing heat.

The blonde smiled and taking Dorian's hand, led him around to the back of the house where there was a rough shed and a table. Grabbing a good sized pan out of the shed, she kissed the fisherman on the cheek.

"I'll fill this with water whilst ya get yer knife. Then ya can clean the fish here," she smiled and headed off, to return barely four or five burns later toting the water fill pan on her hip humming a happy tune. Setting the pan on the table she watched her fisherman gut the fish and she took them from him. With a dull knife, she laid the fish on it's side and proceeded to scrape the scales off the sides until the skin was smooth before tossing them into the water. The job finished, the two took the pan of fish around to the front to give to aunt Dora.

"Thank you two," the cook smiled and handed the pan to an older woman, her leathery face lined with smiling wrinkles.

"Maranda! Lans sake ya did turn out ta be a pretty one, girlchild!" The old woman grinned and began to lay the fish on a skillet propped at the side of the fire while Maranda just blushed. An older man, who looked like he could be the matching set to the woman, strolled by and caught her hand gently.

"Don't be ruinin' em all, Nessie!" he chided her with a chuckle. "Save least one fer me, ma dear!" and he took the raw fish from her hand, took out a knife and expertly cut the meat from the bones and then from the skin and with a flourish, popped it into his mouth. Nearby, Atson gagged and choked drawing another chuckle from the man.

"Now, now son!" he patted the young lad on the head. "Eaten em raw'll keep ya strong, healthy, smart and fertile," he nodded his head. "Ya should try some. Tastes good once ya gets used ta'it." The old man turned his attention to Dorian.

"Yer the young man ta wed our sweet Maranda?" he grinned and cut the meat away from bone and skin on the other side of the fish.

"Hear tell yer a fisherman. I betcha he knows of raw fish and has eaten it hisself a'fore," and chuckling, he handed Dorian the raw fish almost as a dare. Atson was still gagging.

"Dorian, you don't gotta prove nothin' ta Old Mr. Kindell here," the young man tried to stick up for Dorian. "We know yer a good fisherman whether ya eat it raw or not. And that yer smart and fertile too!" With a humpf, the young lad looked up at the old man as if he'd made a good point.

Post by Guest »

Dorian gave Atson a funny, disbelieving look, and had the fish on the table, the spine out and sliced up into sections as fast as he dared while on dry land. And ate a slice of the pale, cold meat, fresh and succulent. "What d'ye think I eat on the boat ?" he asked, grinning at the youngster's consternation. He wasn't so sure about healthy, smart, young and fertile (with the start of a blush). "Sometimes I wrap it in fresh lake-weed, too." He then looked over at Maranda, and saw a look that frankly gave him pause. The grin faded. He looked over at the old man, hoping for backup.

"Er...." he said, "I'm Dorian Drake. And, yes, I'm a fisherman." He thought about shaking hands, noted the fishblood, guts and scales that decorated his hands, thought about wiping his hands on his shirt, thought that Maranda would probably kill him if he did, and finally stood there, looking fretful and embarassed. He'd rather eat it raw any day, but was mindful that Old Drake had told him to cook it unless no one was watching, or if it was a chilly day, the heat would do him good.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

With a hearty baritone laugh, the old man grasped Dorian's and shook it vigorously. "Kendall," he grinned. "Elias Kendall and ya live up ta ma ken fair enough. Looks as if Maranda's snared her a good'un." Dora frowned at the two men and tossed them both a cloth to clean their hands on. The blonde had seen this ritual many times with the some of the men who were very superstitious and seriously believed that eating the raw fish gave them special advantages. Raw fish was nothing. These same men also ate the heart of fresh kill, raw and bloody. But her aunt had never lived here. Dora was born and raised in the city. The girl smiled and patted her aunt on the arm and scowled at Atson.

"Least they aren't eaten raw rabbit heart, Aunt Dora!" Giggling, she hugged Dorian. He'd passed one of the local's tests and while she and the fisherman wouldn't live there, it would make the joining much more fun if the locals accepted her husband to be. So far, Dorian was passing like a local and she was very proud of him. He was a very good man and she was pleased that those she grew up with knew that about him.

The rest of the fish were thrown into a skillet and the visiting started as various ones came by to express their condolences to Atson, Maranda and Dora as well as meet Dorian and check out this foreign beau the girl had found. Lunch was served up and there was more laughing and talking with the abundance of food. Dorian had never seen so many different kinds of meats and dishes, breads and jams and a whole table of pies, most of them fruit pies, not to mention water, local fermented fruit juices and ale. Dorian was seated with the family at a special table, next to Maranda.

After lunch Uncle Thomas started the watch with some words about Maranda's mother and then Aunt Dora shared tales about growing up with her, mostly humorous but also showing the woman's heart and kind soul. Everyone had some kind word to share, a funny story or a time when the woman had been a blessing to them in some way. The over all tone was kept light and cheerful with plenty of tales thrown in to laugh at. It painted quite a picture of an active woman who gave of her time and energy to those around her when they needed it, a woman with a keen sense of humor, a love of life and a deep love for her husband and the farm.

As the stories slowed down, the visiting began again while the sun slipped through the sky and headed towards the horizon and guests began to disappear, depending on how long it took to return home. Finally, several marks before sunset, the feast had been cleaned up, all the makeshift tables taken down and returned to where they had come from and the last of the guests was gone. Uncle Thomas clapped Dorian on the shoulder.

"Time fer us ta get ready fer tha'morrow," he grinned and led the fisherman back around the house to a garden.

"After the joinin' words, ye'll come back here with Maranda ta finish the joinin'. Before ya go inta the house, ye'll have ta come back here and the two o'ya'll pick a sprig o' thyme here," he pointed at the herb. "Don't worry if ya don't member which it is, Maranda'll know. Then ya'll take a daisy here and a rose bud from the bush. Ye'll have a lace ta tie 'em tagether and they go over the door. There's already a peg there. Then ya can go inside. Old tradition goes way back. Daisy is fer the innocence o' the bride, rose stands fer the purity of yer love and herb is for the warmth and serenity o' yer home."

"Repeatin' a few words at the joinin' tree and doin' that is bout all there is. I s'pect I don't need ta coach ya in the actual joinin'," Thomas smiled and winked at the young man though the tone of his voice indicated he'd answer questions if there were any.

"Rest of the joinin' is the female's work. Course, ye'll have ta come home with me and mine t'night. Atson too. Only the females will stay here ta get ready fer tomorrow." The two went back around to the front where Dora and Maranda sat talking on the edge of the porch.

"Got bout a mark b'fore we'll leave back fer my place, if you two want ta spend some time t'gether b'fore I wisk her groom off fer safe keepin'," he winked at the blonde who didn't need to be asked twice. Grabbing Dorian's hand, she led him back around the house.

"Been a full day," she smiled and squeezed his hand as they walked down a small path that ran beside the garden into the more wooded terrain. "But they all were very taken with ya, Dorian. Not that it matters. I've been taken with ya for some time now. Just proves ta me what I already knew," she stopped and kissed his cheek.

"It'll be a long night and even longer mornin'," she sighed and gazed into the fisherman's beautiful blue eyes.

OOC: Go ahead and feel free to react or act as much as you like. It is a little long, but I wanted to get this day over while still showing the fisherman's acceptance by the locals. He's not a hateful city dude after all. :)
Last edited by Shaeliana on Sat Feb 22, 2003 3:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post by Guest »

Dorian grinned at Thomas' offer of advice for the marriage bed. "I'll do my best not to disappoint her," he said. "But I've not had any complaints yet." He nodded at the rest, grateful those details were being handled. All he could do is show up, hopefully cleanshaven, and try not to fall over his own feet. He'd have to borrow a razor, and someone to shave him, else he'd probably cut his throat. "I'd like to get shaved tomorrow...I don't own a razor and I didn't have time before we left the city. I'm not willing to handle steel too much inland, land throws my balance off."

But then he was happy to see Maranda again. This time, he just kissed her. "I hope I can wait that long." he said, gathering her in his arms. "I'm glad I came here, a' duloaim." He looked into her green eyes, sappy look on his face. "Glad we're here with your family. They're good people." And because he wasn't the best conversationalist, merely cuddled her into his arms. "You just tell me what you want in life, Maranda, and I'll try til my bones break to make it happen for you."

He dragged his heels something awful, once forced to go off with her uncle and Atson, as he waved goodbye to Maranda and watched her hustled off by family. But since dark was falling, and the fisherman was used to sleeping solidly when there was no light, he was asleep as soon as they set up a place for him to sleep. Not for him any late night celebrations; he stayed markedly clear of anything fermented, as well. He just wasn't used to drinking, and dared not to on Land.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

"A shave? Of course, Dorian. We'll see to it you're clean-shaven and make sure you're all decked out for your big day," he smiled and turned the young man lose to spend a bit of time with his lady before they left.

Embraced in the fisherman's strong arms, Maranda beamed happily and gazed up into his eyes. "I'm glad yer here too m'love. And all I want is you. I feel special when I'm with you, Dorian Drake." Kissing him lightly, she pulled back and giggled.

"T'morrow, I'll be Maranda Drake," she grinned broadly and hugged him tightly, her head on his broad chest. "And a proud day that'll be fer me, Dorian."

And then it was time for the walk back and turning him over to Uncle Thomas for the night as the women took her for the night.

"Oh! Wait!" the blonde hollered as she ran back to the house. In a few flickers, she came running back out with the pants and shirt and a black vest she'd found that matched the pants and handed them to Dorian, already seated on the wagon that was headed back to Thomas's house. She placed them in his hands and stood waving as the cart carried him away.

The evening was busy and hectic back at the uncle's home as there were still chores to do and animals to take care of, though the boys did most of the work. The makeshift tables and benches had been loaded on Thomas' wagon and brought over for the joining festivities the next day and the boys unloaded them before putting the wagon away and grooming the horse. It was well after the sun went down before they retired and the night went quietly afterwards.

The next morning the activity began again as the boys were up and out to their morning chores, Atson now a part of the family tagging along for his portion. As Dorian woke, there was the smell of something sweet about him. The door swung open and the tall figure of Thomas walked through, looked at Dorian and chuckled softly.

"I see the boys've been busy," he closed the door and poured himself a cup of something hot out of a pot on the fire. All around Dorian, concentrated at his head, were flowers mostly red and pink wild roses.

"A tradition with some of the folks here, ta put flowers in the bed of the bride and groom ta make their union sweet. Guess the boys like ya," he chuckled again and sat down at the table. There were several large pots in the large fireplace and a large oval shaped barrel sitting in front of it all.

Thomas gestured to the young man, "Ready fer that shave? Then we've heated water so ya can clean up nice an proper."

Post by Guest »

Dorian had slept soundly indeed; he blinked at Thomas and sat up, looking at all the flowers. They did smell nice. "Yes, ready," he said, and got up. He wanted to look nice for Maranda. With a good clean shave (by Thomas, as Dorian's hands were shaking a bit) and a thorough washing-up, his hair combed with a borrowed comb - he promised himself a fresh fish-spine one when he got a big enough fish on the Lake.

And he wasn't one to fuss about his appearance, but today was different. The clothes felt odd. "Do these look all right ?" he fussed. "I never wore such fancy clothes...I hope I don't trip and fall in a mud puddle." Breakfast was largely forgotten as he was too excited to concentrate on eating. Wide blue eyes started to show a bit of shellshock on the whole matter - what if she decided not to marry him ? What if he did something stupid like fall on his face in front of her whole family ? Land was hard to walk on when your toes were meant for water ! Was he going to be a good husband ? Was he smart enough to be a good husband ?
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

As promised, Thomas made sure the young man was shaved and left him alone to wash up. Once the fisherman was outfitted in his new clothes, the tall man helped him get it all arranged properly and patted him on the shoulder. The tall man was dressed up himself sporting black pants, a white shirt and a black jacket rather than his typical work clothing.

"Ya look dashing, young man. Ye'll make all the maidens swoon," Thomas grinned as he led Dorian outside. Folks were already arriving with more food which they set on the tables provided. Across the way, the lower branches on an old majestic tree had been adorned with white bows and colorful flowers. One long table had been set up with two chairs with tall backs set up in the center, each chair also adorned with more of the bows and flowers.

"Shouldn't be long now," Thomas smiled. "They will come from that way." He pointed left of the house to the rough road that led off towards Maranda's house. Just noticing his appearance, Dora hurried over and hugged the fisherman.

"My my, what a handsome groom ya make," she smiled and looked up at Thomas.

"Most everyone's here and the girl's should be here shortly. The sprites were already sent ta fetch her here," she giggled.

The faint sound of young female's singing drifted lazily on the air and Dora gasped, turned and announced, "Here she comes!" Those still with food in their hands hurried to put it down as Thomas led the groom to the tree. The guests lined the path between Dorian and the direction the girls were coming from with Dora at the end of the line, closest to Dorian.
Last edited by Shaeliana on Wed Feb 26, 2003 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

Dorian Drake was shuffling nervously, looking desperately at the road, barely attentive to anything but that Maranda wasn't here. Dora's hug was a little reassuring, but frankly he was restive about the whole thing. Thomas's leading him to the tree was absolutely necessary - his feet were suddenly rivetted to the ground at Dora's next words. And while he did look very handsome, he also looked as nervous as a long-tailed cat in a roomful of rocking chairs. To keep his knees from buckling, he leaned a hand on the tree.

He looked for her, waiting for her to appear......his green-eyed lady, whose dazzling smile and cheerful voice was what made his days so bright and full. He had imagined what it might be like to come in from a long day of fishing and see her, every night, eat a meal with her, share her life every day.....and now it was happening. Oh, he so wanted Old Drake to have been here.....and see the vision of beauty that was his bride. His breath left him, and his face registered the shock and joy of seeing an angel come to earth, coming toward him with the heavenly voices of the women with her.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

The crowd left a wide path for the approaching bride and the girls accompanying her singing. As they came up over a small rise and into view, Maranda walked in the midst of ten young girls, singing and dancing round the blonde whose eyes were turned towards the tree looking for her handsome beau.

Dressed in a soft flowing gown of a creamy natural color that tended to cling to her body as the breeze blew against it, her shiny yellow hair curled softly over her shoulders and down her back and a circlet of woven wildflowers sat atop her head. Dancing around her, the barefoot girls were dressed in soft flowing gowns of various colors with several layers that blew and billowed in the breeze as the twirled and danced in a weaving pattern around and before the bride.

Thomas leaned forward and whispered to the fisherman. "Th'girls represent the sprites that guard a girl's innocence and purity. Once they get ta the end o' the line, where Dora's standin', ye'll have ta go and fetch her away from the fae and bring her here. The sprites'll try ta stop ye, but they'll not try too hard," he grinned and straightened up as they watched the approaching bride.

On either side of the path, friends and family smiled and tossed what looked like flowers and other green things at the bride, symbols of love and fertility as they expressed their hopes for a happy home with many healthy children. Smiling happily and almost shyly, Maranda's eyes never left the fisherman as she walked along, the dancing sprites not allowing her to go too fast or get ahead of them.

As she drew closer, details of the dress grew more visible. Tiny soft pink laces up the front of the dress molded the bodice snugly to her form accentuating her slim waist and bust line. Small pink flowers were intricately embroidered around the neckline and down the front of the dress outside the lacings. Long sleeves grew fuller at the ends, draping softly around the girl's arms with the same flowers embroidered at the hem of the sleeves.

After what seemed like an eternity, the sprites reached the end of the line and stopped, still dancing around Maranda but not allowing her to make any further forward movement as they sang their song about the benefits of virtue and the joys of surrendering innocence to the right one.

Thomas nudged the fisherman gently, "Go take her from the fae young man."

Post by Guest »

Dorian Drake indeed needed a shove in the right direction, so stunned was he at the loveliness of Maranda. She was an angel upon the earth, and he would never forget the sight of her there, dressed in such finery, though he live to be a hundred.

He wasn't sure how he got there, but he was walking toward the sprites and her, and fixing the nearest one with a gaze that would intimidate a barracuda. He resisted the urge to bark loudly at the woman - it didn't seem right, somehow. A vaguely troubling thought crept into the dark corners of his mind. Something was missing, there was something missing, there was something important different about this, he had seen a wedding before, on a rock by the pounding surf, somewhere in the shadows and cobwebs of the life before Old Drake's rescue.

He gently set a hand on the upper arm of the nearest sprite and scooted her aside, then did the same to the one on the right, until they were well away from Maranda. Muscles thick from years of hauling nets were no match for slips of girls, but he was gentle as could be. Finally, she stood before him, and his Common slipped away. "A miur ma chroi......" he said, "Mo ghra daingean tu...lan gra, ma dolaoim...." taking her hands, and kissing them. Why was there a tree here ? Where was the water ? But never mind, Maranda was walking beside him, practically leading the even more stunned Dorian toward the tree.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

As promised, the girls playing the part of the sprites stood blocking the fisherman's way, but moved aside with giggles with the slightest push as the blonde stood watching her groom approach. Already smiling, Maranda beamed and giggled softly as the fisherman took her hands and kissed them and took his arm headed towards Uncle Thomas.

Standing side by side under the flowers and ribbons on the tree, the tall man reached out and took Maranda and Dorian's right hands and overlapped them. From a pocket, his other hand withdrew a length of rope braided from assorted flowers, thought most of them were wild roses. Carefully he wrapped the braided flowers about the bride and groom's hands binding them together symbolically. While most of the thorns on the roses had been removed, some remained lightly pricking into the couple's skin.

"Joinin' is a time of discovery, of joy, of hope and love. Herbs are the strength o' the home," and he pulled out a sprig of thyme and placed it on Dorian's shoulder.

"Daisy is the purity o' yer love," and he pulled a daisy from the rope and placed it in Maranda's hair.

"Wild rose is the passion o' yer love, blossom and thorns. The rose without the thorn is as unnatural as the thorn without the blossom. But the thorn is avoided by handlin' the blossom gently, carefully. Ta keep yer marriage from becomin' thorny, handle the passion carefully."

Looking past the couple, Thomas addressed the crowd. "These are joinin' their hearts and their bodies as one on this day. We approve of this joinin' and ask a blessin' upon their joinin'," he carefully turned the couple around to face friends and family and gently lifted up their hands still bound together with the flower rope.

"and a blessin' upon their home," he took a small piece of bread and broke it in two placing a piece in Maranda's mouth and the other in Dorian's.

"And a blessin upon their loins and the fruit of them. Let their children be healthy and hale," and he took a fleshy yellow fruit and had Dorian bite into it first, followed by Maranda and then the instruction that Dorian should kiss his bride. With a smile that beamed from her eyes, the girl leaned forward and closed her eyes, meeting Dorian's lips with hers as she traded the taste of fruit juice with the man who was now her husband.

As the two joined lips, a cheer went up from those participants behind them as they rushed forward full of good wishes and smiles. Aunt Dora and Uncle Thomas got on each side of the couple and escorted them through the crowds to a table with two large high backed chairs also cheerfully decorated with wildflowers and roses.

The newly joined couple was escorted to the table where Dora unwrapped their hands and sat them down in the chairs and the music began as well wishers continued to come by, hug and pronounce their own blessings over the two. Finally, the line of friends and neighbors was gone and the couple sat as the rest of party danced.

Maranda reached over and took Dorian's hand and squeezed it softly. "I love you Mr. Drake," she giggled softly.

Post by Guest »

"I love you too - Maranda........Mrs. Drake," said Dorian, quite soppily, for he had eyes for little beyond Maranda, and couldn't come up with names for her family beyond one or two, so dazzled was he by the events. He held her hand, feeling at rest, at peace, and happy. Whatever was missing, wasn't that important.....but he knew something was missing still. He had Maranda, and that was sufficient. Whatever he had lost, could wait til it was found again.

He looked over at the dancers briefly, but they couldn't hold his attention like she could. He wondered if she would be happy with him, in the shack on the docks, and he hoped she would be. He was taking on a responsibility - which was also being lightened by her taking on him. She would care for him, and he would care for her. Joined. Like a well-mated dovetail in a boat; the join was stronger than the other two bits of wood, and together they made something better than just wood.

She looked beautiful too. "You look beautiful," he said. "I'll never forget today. But I know I'll still fall into the water from looking at you and not minding my feet." He grinned at her. "Not that I'll mind - ever." If he ate, he couldn't remember what it was, and if he drank, it was only a sip or two.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

The afternoon wore on with singing, dancing, food and laughter. Like the watch the day before, a joining was a time for fellowship and community, for catching up and enjoying the company of others. These folk worked hard and lived a good distance from one another. There wasn't time for just casual get togethers so the events that called for it were taken seriously and enjoyed to their fullest.

The two newjoined, sat holding hands and smiling elated silly smiles and trying to pay attention to those who stopped to talk with them, though most of their attention went to each other. By the afternoon, there had been enough eating... and drinking that even the most staid and somber were laughing and dancing. As the shadows started to grow long, Uncle Thomas stood on a chair and hollered for attention.

"Tis time!" he began as the crowds began to gather round. "Soon, mother sun'll leave the sky and darkness'll be upon us. Tis time ta walk the happy new couple ta their new home, least their new home fer the night." He smiled and motioned to Dorian and Maranda.

"Come along now, we've made the wagon ready," and Aunt Dora took the new couple by the arms and led them to a small cart pulled by a small shaggy white pony. The cart had been padded and decorated with more wild roses and ribbons and family members helped them crawl up and get comfy for the ride to the house.

The ride seemed to take forever as the crowd walked along beside and behind the wagon, still singing and occasionally teasing the new bride bringing a blush to the blonde's cheeks. However, all things do eventually come to an end and so did this ride. As they were helped out of the cart, Aunt Dora slipped a love knot into Dorian's hands.

"I know Thomas told you to go in the back and gather all this, but it isn't necessary for you to gather it and the girls and I did it for you. Just put it on the peg that is over the door," the cook winked at him.

"And don't forget to kiss her under the knot before you go in," she chuckled as Maranda took his hand and led him up to the door and waited, smiling shyly.

"They'll leave as soon as we go inside," she whispered to him, her voice all aquiver as if the crowds made her nervous.

Post by Guest »

"Let's wave 'em goodnight and go in, then," said Dorian, gently. It had been a long day. He set the knot onto a nail over the door, then settled Maranda into his arms, gazing into her eyes for a moment before kissing her soft and long under it. Even after all that, she was still sparklingly beautiful. He stroked her cheek, felt her shiver in nervousness again, and cuddled her back into his arms, holding her as gently as he would a butterfly.

"Good night," he said, with a soft smile, to the gathered crowd, then set one foot over the threshold. This part would be tricky. He bent down enough to pick her up, one strong arm under her knees, the other around her back, and slowly, carefully, shifted her over the threshold, careful not to bang her head or feet or drop her. He just knew it was a bad bit of luck for her to trip over the threshold, so he was supposed to carry her - but this was land, and he didn't dare carry her too far, he'd fall down and it would be horrible. She weighed almost nothing compared to wet nets full of fish.

He set her on her feet again, and stepped inside the house, pulling the door shut. She was now his wife, and they were alone. "Maranda.....my dearest...." he said softly, and held out his hands for hers, sensing she was nervous, and oddly, he wasn't. "I love you. I want to make you happy, always, and that means every flicker of every day. Don't be afraid. Remember the first time I took you to swim, in the tidal pool ? Nothing ill happened. Nothing ill will happen now." Gentle touches, and slow kisses, sweet encouragement toward passion. Fishermen knew the value of patience, and the last thing Dorian wanted to do was to rush her into bed.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Gazing up into the fisherman's intense blue eyes, Maranda's green eyes glowed with happiness and she met his kiss almost shyly at first and then relaxed into his strong arms. A quiet murmur of approval floated through the watching crowd as Dorian took his new bride in his arms and kissed her. Having witnessed the last part of the ceremony, they began the walk back to Uncle Thomas's to gather their things and head home. It had been a long day, but a good one.

Giggling, the blonde held onto Dorian's neck as he scooped her up and the two went inside the house. Someone had come before them and laid a fire in the hearth and lit a lamp and there were rose petals sprinkled on the bed. Smiling shyly, she put her hands in his and listened to her new husband's sweet words of comfort and nodded. It wasn’t so much she was afraid; she trusted Dorian entirely. Figuring out how to make her heart quit racing was an entirely different matter.

"I know," she replied and then snuggled close to him, wrapping her arms around his waist, her cheek on his chest. "It's just my heart poundin' away," she giggled and looked up at him, searching his eyes before she whispered back to him, "I love you, Dorian," and she kissed him softly. This was the man she'd chosen to live her life with and she felt very blessed. As far as she was concerned, there wasn't a better man in all the world and he was hers… and she was his. A little shiver of happiness rippled through her and she settled into his arms, feeling as if being in his embrace was the most natural thing in the world and giving herself to him was the way things were meant to be.

Post by Guest »

Dorian kissed her, long and soft, stroking her hair, her back, and her flank as he did. The feel of her under that dress was intoxicating. The way the firelight danced in her eyes was a sight he'd never forget. With her help, he undressed her - as feminine clothes fastenings weren't his forte, then helped her undress him. Every movement was steady and slow, flavoured with kisses and caresses, as he revelled in the glory of Maranda's form and face, and let her touch and explore him. He wanted the night to last as long as he could make it, because there was only one first time, and he loved this woman.

In his arms, his kisses tracing the line of her throat and shoulder, his arms holding her upright, he held a lovely creature who had consented to be his wife. It was a long time before he carried her to the bed, into the celebration of two souls blending into one with the intimate joining of bodies.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Maranda had already decided that kissing Dorian was one of her favorite things to do, so now she reveled in the long slow kisses knowing that no one was going to interrupt. A small bashful smile returned when his hand traveled to the lacings on her bodice tugging at them. Reaching up she slipped her fingers through the laces until they were all free and the bodice fell open. Built into the dress, with the bodice unlaced, she let the fisherman slide it off her shoulders and free of her shoulders, it fluttered to the ground in a soft pile around her feet baring her soft skin and curves to the firelight and to Dorian's touch.

A time of learning, the girl was fascinated by the response of his body to her touch, gasped in delight at his hands on her body and moaned her pleasure and desire as the two explored the intimacy of man and woman. Kisses and caresses, loving looks and soft sweet words brought the woman alive inside the girl so that by the time Dorian carried her to the bed and laid her atop the scattered rose petals, all shyness had fled leaving passionate desire.

Breathless with her need, she opened herself to her husband in total abandonment, her whole world at that moment only Dorian and the bliss of their joining. It seemed magical to her, a night she would never forget as she felt his strong arms around her, his strong legs between hers as she wrapped herself around him and found a whole new release, an explosion of joy that shot tremors through her followed by utter calm as she laid in her husband's arms.

Very late into the night, exhausted but deliriously happy, sleep came; peacefully the two slept nestled against one another as the night slipped away quietly, the summer insects singing softly outside. Into the wee hours of the morning, Maranda awakened and lay looking at Dorian the soft light of the lamp still burning. Smiling at her fortune, she tried not to giggle and wake him up as she thought about being Mrs. Drake. She felt she had to be the luckiest girl alive and it was all she could do to keep from kissing him again. Instead she whispered her love for this man so softly she could barely hear it and lay enjoying the feel of his arms around her until she eventually drifted back to sleep.

The sun had barely begun to send rays of light over the horizon, the morning sky still the purplish blue of pre-dawn, when the girl woke up again. In the growing light, she lay and smiled at the fisherman, slipping her hand softly into his hair and smoothing it back from his face; a peaceful face, a handsome face, a face she loved dearly. Snuggling closer to him, she shivered slightly at the feel of his body against hers, a wonderful feeling and sighed softly.
Last edited by Shaeliana on Sat Mar 08, 2003 2:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post by Guest »

Dorian, relaxed and happy, slept well, falling into a deep and restful dream. A little girl's voice, murmuring low, speaking to him."Cad ta ar siuil agat ?" Where are you going ?

Over the sound of surf on the rocks. A dark-haired girl with deep blue eyes was talking to him, and the world seemed much bigger than it did now....as if he was much smaller in it. The girl's dark unruly hair was long, to her waist, and she was wrapped in a sealskin. Not a coat, just a sealskin, dark as her hair. He was standing on a spur rocks, near the sea, and the sky was grey and full of clouds, the sun slicing through and glittering the water full of jewels. "Nil fhios agam," he said, meaning, "I don't know." He was naked, and felt young, as if he was a child again, and since the girl was taller than he was, he reckoned he was a child, in the dream. Being naked never bothered him.

He looked out on the water, seeing the seal's heads break the surface, their dark, deep eyes fixed on them. The seals were as - familiar - as the girl was. He could almost speak their names.....as with this girl, whom he knew as........his sister. He had slept beside her and their parents, lulled by singing and stories, the water and the wind. And knew that this was an echo of his forgotten past, brought to him after finding a piece of his soul, sheltered in Maranda's love. Family. He had had a family, but had lost them; he had had a father who raised him to be a man, Old Drake - and now he had a wife.

Reflexively, his arm tightened slightly around Maranda, and he sighed in his sleep. "Mo bhean........." he muttered.....My wife......... In the dream, he looked out again over the water, seeing a grizzled old man in a boat, his boat, that was once Old Drake's boat, the oars gently dipped into the water, as if the old man was going to ship them, or set them in, undecided. "Where are you going lad ?" came the raspy voice, the bright blue eyes set on him.

"Tiamid ag dul abhaile," he said. "We are going home."

With that, Dorian Drake awoke, to Maranda's smile, her warm body snuggled against his. Wordlessly, he looked at her, and smiled back, and cuddled her into his arms again.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

"Good morning my love," she smiled and nuzzled against the fisherman's neck, her soft blonde hair tumbling over her shoulders onto his chest.

"I slept like a baby. I think I like sleeping with you," she smiled her head on his chest. "Did you sleep okay?" She lay quietly for a few moments listening to his strong heart beating under her ear and his answer.

"Aunt Dora and Uncle Thomas'll be here around noon ta start loadin' stuff for the trip back. Uncle Thomas thought we should have the morning ta ourselves, so we'll not be goin' back 'til t'morrow." Propping herself up, she looked into Dorian's wonderful blue eyes and smiled, her eyes green pools of love and admiration.

"I'm so happy, Dorian. I never thought I could be this happy," she whispered. "You hungry? I could fix ya some breakfast if ya want." She sat up next to the fisherman, the sun peeking through the window highlighting her shiney blonde hair falling down over her soft breasts.

"Whatever ya want," she leaned forward and kissed Dorian softly then sat back up. "Just tell me what it is and I'll get it for ya."

Post by Guest »

"Slept fine," said Dorian, gently stroking a lock of her sunshine-gold hair. And the notice that there would be another day on land, well, he was more happy to be with Maranda, so he could forego the Water one more day. "I'm happy too, Maranda, my wife."

He was mildly puzzled by her wanting to fetch him breakfast. "I don't often eat breakfast," he said, kissing her back. "And then, it's usually fish, out on the water, or something left from the night before. If you're hungry, get yours, and if there's a crust left over, I'll have it, but there's no need to wait on me."

What he wanted, well, Maranda in his arms again was a favourite, but there were other matters that needed attending. "I'm going out to the shakes, is all." he said, not wanting her to worry. It would be a while before they were used to each other's ways. After another hug and some kisses, that is. In deference to her relatives, who might be wandering around out there, he put on trousers, but decided to risk his calloused feet. It was just slightly more steady on webbed toes, when there was just ground to walk on, other than tarred rope sandals.

My life has changed, Dorian thought, as he went. Now there is someone to come home to, and she loves me. There was something profoundly settled about that, as if he had accomplished a great feat and earned a greater responsibility, but not one that he would ever want to shirk.

Return to “On the Water Archive”