A new Caesar Someone? - Sam 28th Early TT

Moderator: Mods

Andolin
Caesar

Post by Andolin »

Imagine entering a political contest and someone jokingly enters a blue rock against you, claiming that the color blue is pretty. Now, imagine that this political contest was important ... there was a crisis and a strong leader needed. Now, imagine that, even in this crisis, that the blue rock gets over 40% of the vote and you are not elected. Imagine how you would feel ... and then double it. That is how Andolin felt.

Andolin was furious, though he tried to hide it well enough. It was all he could do to not stand up and address the assembly and tell them that he wished to nominate a pretty bunny rabbit to be the next Caesar. It would sit and eat lettuce and look pretty while the Empire imploded.

He was also sorely tempted to stand up and tell the few people behind the ten votes that they were a disgrace to the Council and ask if they were in the pay of Balthasar. Hell, it is time to start studying to convert to the One religion. The Duke of Dort thinks he is best served by a vacant throne. Wait until the airships show up and burn Dort to the ground. He could only hope they hit Dort before they hit the Citadel.

When the Chancellor looked his way to see if there was other business to raise, Andolin shook his head. He did not want to remove the pressure to elect a Caesar. He had tried to be noble and make self-sacrificing suggestions. What had it earned him? Mockery.

Already another scheme was forming in his head. He adopted a contented look and waited for the meeting to adjourn. Once it was over, he needed to see a certain Shiek and the Lady Isis. He had an amusing plot to spring that would reveal the farce they were living at the moment.
[i]Someone has to be in charge, so it might as well be me.[/i]
Andolin Avatar by the Nice GD
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Someone with a less cynical mind would have perhaps assumed he might have been mistaken, but Hector knew a sore loser when he saw one. As much as he wanted to comment upon it, he held his tongue, waiting a couple more flickers. Isis rose, followed by Sheikh Hassan, making Hector turn, and open his mouth to address her, but she merely waved him off, walking furiously towards the door. Without further ado, hector thudded his staff thrice more. "By the authority vested to my as a Chancellor of the Empire of the Seven Isles I close this meeting of the Advisory Council."

People started to rise, preparing to leave, as Isis was already at the door. Silk and Manyana were the only ones still seated, the Imperial Secretary, apparently quite pleased with how the voting went, chatting with the strange woman at his side. He seemed completely unphazed by the fact they voted for different candidates a few short burns ago. Erwin walked past Andolin, with Luther Dethrek by his side, only a few words floating to the Major Domos. ".....are mistaken. Of course there was a reason for......" Then they were too far away, though Luther's reply was loud enough to ring in the Council Chamber. "So you say. I'll believe it when she convinces me herself."
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
wyrdgirluk
Tazlure Supporter

Post by wyrdgirluk »

Scatha was completely and utterly gobsmacked. Not only had the highest powers in the land decided to nominate her for Caesarii, but ten of them - TEN! - had voted for her.

It was all rather wonderful and overwhelming at the same time. It was almost as good as her 11th birthday, when her father had given her a whip, and told her to practise, and she had. She had never forgiven Daisy Applebottom's mother for making her father take the whip from her.

It seemed that even though the fox-like man had got more votes, he hadn't won, and that the meeting was over until they decided to pick another Caesarii. Scatha rather hoped they might ask her again, but even if they didn't, it had been lovely to be asked in the first place. Extremely pleased with herself, she followed the throng from the chambers, taking the oppoortunity to snatch up one last handful of cherries. I really must ask Barrett how exactly I got to be chosen she mused to herself, and I must ask him who all those nice people who voted for me were. Her head was so full of these ideas that that she accidentally stood on the foot of the fox-like man. He looked exceedingly put out.

"Jolly unlucky," she said consolingly through a mouthful of fruit. "You did ever so well though. 13 votes! Mind you, some would say thats unlucky. Still, there's always next time. Just think, it could be both of us again! Do you think they will still have cherries?"
Last edited by wyrdgirluk on Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image by kind permission of Peter Town - check out his great work at Elfwood!

"Cleavage & attitude can carry a girl a *long* way"
Barrett
Priest of Aurelius - Querist

Post by Barrett »

In the end, duty had won easily over emotion. He spared only a wink for Scatha before returning to Mistress Tabeann’s side. There were no more unexpected outpourings from his lips. There was only thorough attention to the proceedings and the duties of Archivist within them. He became focused so that no hint of emotion was apparent. Indeed that which was not there could hardly be apparent. Professional detachment and a mind eager to absorb rather than analyze and act. Meditation for hidden meanings would come later.
Andolin
Caesar

Post by Andolin »

He had decided not to be so furious in his walk. It would not do to let emotions become too apparent on his face. He had not expected to win the first ballot; but, he had been expecting to be challenged by a more capable opponent. It was the fact that he was competing against a candidate that was nothing more than a joke that galled him.

Seeing Silk laughing with Manyana, caused him to sigh. Silk had scripted the first round to be a tie. His game was transparent to Andolin, that was why he did not approach the man. Still, Silk thought he was fooling some people ... but who really thought that he supported Scatha? If Erwin and Silk actually agreed on a candidate, that person would have been elected. Were the others so easy to fool?

In an unhurried manner, Andolin moved towards the exit. Imagine his surprise to find Scatha all but collide with him. Choking down any number of malicious retorts, Andolin adopted a forced smile instead. "Why thank you Scatha," he replied insincerely. He was not about to give her any title. "I do hope we compete against each other again." That much was true. "As for the cherries, if you insist upon them being there, like any good leader would, I'm sure that the Chancellor or Imperial Secretary would see to it." Again he offered a saccharine smile.

"I would love to speak with you further, but I have a more important matter to attend to." More important ... as in staring at a wall watching fungus grow. "Really, you should come visit me in my office some time so that we can catch up," he invited, as though she might actually come.

He then moved off in a direction intended to take him towards the Amun Rah Embassy, by the most circuitous way possible. He did not wish to appear to be headed there, at least not in a hurry. Once there, he would ask to see Isis and her shiek.
Last edited by Andolin on Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
[i]Someone has to be in charge, so it might as well be me.[/i]
Andolin Avatar by the Nice GD
wyrdgirluk
Tazlure Supporter

Post by wyrdgirluk »

Scatha watched as Andolin made his apologies; such good manners... and such a good sport. If only I felt I could trust him with the chicken house... ah well. She shrugged, and turned her attention back to the room.

One name had stuck in her mind as Hector had requested the votes; head of Imperial... Manyana When she was little, Scatha had listened in rapt attention as her father had told stories of the daring-do exploits of the Scouts Guild, and secretly she had always wished to be part of it. And now... the head of the Scouts Guild was here. In this very room.

Scatha sauntered casually over to where Silk and the lady (Manyana? Strange name...) and coughed.... not very discreetly.

"Excuse me," she said breathlessly. "Are you really the head of the Scouts Guild...?"

Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Manyana was a strange one to put it mildly. About a foot shorter than Scatha she wore no boots or any footwear for that matter, with wide solid feet with short toes peeking from under her breeches. Her dark eyes peered upwards at the Dortish girl through a mess of curly brown hair covering her forehead. Silk cast a single glance her way and then moved away, leaving the pair alone. "Yes, I am the Director and Captain of the Imperial Scouts. Is there some point in this conversation?"
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
wyrdgirluk
Tazlure Supporter

Post by wyrdgirluk »

Scatha was somewhat put out. When people replied with something like is there some point in this conversation it usually meant that they wanted you to go away, but were too polite to say so, but not polite enough to say it nicely. Still, Scatha had originally set out to join the Scouts Guild, and even though she had been somewhat diverted from her original intention, she knew it would be extremely unlikely that she would get a better chance to ask.

"I always wanted to join the Scouts Guild," she said hopefully. "But I never found my way there, as I had to deal with evil magicians and flesh eating savages. But I'm here now. So I was wondering... just how do you join the Scouts Guild? Or do you have to be invited?"

Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Manyana’s brows drew together as Scatha spoke, the short lady’s dark eyes gazing into the farm-girl’s as if she was trying to look into her brain. A flicker or two passed after Scatha was done before the reply came, the strange woman’s features relaxing somewhat. “You want to join the Imperial Scouts?” She paused, head tilted to the side. “I thought you wanted to be a Caesarii. Or did you give up on that already?” She sighed and closed her eyes for a moment, before looking up at the other girl awaiting a reply.
wyrdgirluk
Tazlure Supporter

Post by wyrdgirluk »

"No one asked if I wanted to be Caesarii," Scatha explained patiently. "They all just assumed that was what I wanted. But I'd heard so much about the Scouts... and I did once try to find them, to join, but other things got in the way, like the magician and the savages and the orcs. That was frightening, but exciting too, and I bet thats the kind of things the Scouts do. At least, thats what the stories say." She looked at Manyana hopefully; "Is it all true? Or is it just stories?"

Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

The short chubby scout said nothing looking at Scatha for several more long flickers and then nodded. “Come on. Let us talk in my Office. I have a feeling this won’t be a short chat. I know you that much.” Without waiting for a reply, she pushed her way past the Dortish girl and moved towards the exit, expecting her to follow or preferably get lost in the palace corridors.

OOC: Please, proceed here

~Fin~
Last edited by Grey Wolf on Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “The Citadel proper Archive”